[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you say this game had good gameplay?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

Would you say this game had good gameplay?
>>
controversial opinion: best 2d Zelda.
>>
No, I would say it did not, like all Zelda games.
>>
>>4251767
>HEY! YOU TOUCHED A FUCKING [ROCK/POT/CRYSTAL] FOR THE 999,999th TIME! YOU CAN'T INTERACT WITH IT WITH YOUR BARE HANDS... MAYBE TRY EQUIPPING SOMETHING? ALSO DICKS

That's its only flaw. Well, that and the forced item trading sidequest bullshit and the inventory system becoming too cluttered near the end (good luck switching items on the fly if you happen to select the ocarina at any point). But other than that, yeah, very good gameplay. The Oracle games were better in that regard, though.
>>
>>4251767
Absolutely. The addition of the roc's feather and having two item slots that can be equipped with anything made for a lot of cool combos and variety. Great dungeons too.
>>
>>4251767
honestly the most satisfying 2D Zelda gameplay desu. though I never played lbw
>>
>>4251789
that's patrician opinion, not controversial opinion m8
>>
bomb arrows
>>
File: 1500522273780.png (674KB, 1100x746px) Image search: [Google]
1500522273780.png
674KB, 1100x746px
2D Zeldas, ranked:

100. The Adventure of Link
9. For Frog the Bell Tolls
8. Four Swords
7. Minish Cap
6. BS Zelda no Densetsu: Inishie no Sekiban
5. BS Zelda no Densetsu
4. TLoZ
3. Oracles
2. ALttP
1. Link's Awakening DX

Link Between Worlds goes between TLoZ and Oracles if you count it as 2D.
>>
Very good gameplay.
>>
>>4251767
Absolutely, also my favorite Zelda. The real question is how much similar it and pic related are? Could Link's Awakening have happened with out it?
>>
>>4252086
Ys was released after Zelda by a whole year.

Link's Awakening seems like a logical progression from the NES game, so I don't think Ys had any impact on it.
>>
Stop it with the Zelda meme already.
Is this the only series people talk about here?
>>
>>4252196
>he says, ignoring the 5+ Sonic threads
>>
>>4252196
We also argue about which Castlevania games are shit, thankyouverymuch.
>>
>>4252196
Trying way too hard.
>>
>>4252196
Yes, and the sad thing is that there are no longer sincere threads about the game. Every comes down to "Why people think zelda 2/zelda X is overrated/this zelda killed the franchise".

This might be the burden of videogames: popular enough to last decades, not deep enough to hold any meaninful/interesting discussion once everybody has played the game.
>>
>>4251817
>YOU TOUCHED A FUCKING [ROCK/POT/CRYSTAL]
Yeah, it's annoying, but that was very common in games from that time. It's exactly the same in every gameboy pokemon game.

>forced item trading sidequest
So you don't like the writing/pacing of the game, I wouldn't say that's a gameplay issue. I also didn't mind it, so whether there's anything wrong with it in the first place is up for debate.

>inventory system becoming too cluttered near the end
>good luck switching items on the fly
Doesn't all the action pause when you open the menu to switch items? I don't see why you'd need to do it "on the fly." You usually don't have to use very many types of items within a given area anyway.
>>
>>4252709
in pokemon a) it happens when you press a, not when you lightly brush against it b) it isn't 20 lines long
>>
>>4251852
>100. The Adventure of Link
Zelda 2 is unironically the best in the series
>>
>>4252709
>in every gameboy pokemon game
see >>4253589

>So you don't like the writing/pacing of the game
It forces you to do what could at best be described as a sidequest in order to get to the final boss. It is more of a pacing issue, but not being able to finish the game because you couldn't be bothered to give some kid a yoshi doll is definitely a gameplay issue too.

>I don't see why you'd need to do it "on the fly."
Have you ever fought the final boss? you need to switch items a lot. And yeah, action pauses, but the gameplay which I think we can all agree on is supposed to be very fast, slows to a grinding halt while you switch items if you highlight the ocarina by mistake (bound to happen given how items are just cluttered without any order to them) and suddenly the d-pad has different functions.

Also I didn't mention how you need to press all buttons at once to save the game, most retarded way of saving ever.
>>
>>4253606
The worst is playing Oracles after finishing up LA.

So many resets when you meant to save.

So many...
>>
>>4251767
What's gameplay? Is your question any different from "was this a good game?"
>>
I hated when you had sidescrolling perspective on Links Awakening. Reminded me of Mario but it looked retarded at the same time.
>>
>>4251767

Yes, but I'm kind of biased, because LoZ: Link's Awakening DX is my favorite Zelda game.
>>
>>4253606
>Have you ever fought the final boss? you need to switch items a lot
You only need one item to kill the final boss. If you are talking about the non-final bosses you have to fight at the end of the final dungeon, you also generally need either one item or a single combination of two items to beat them.

>>4253762
Gameplay is only one aspect of the game. Other aspects include art, music, direction, storyline, and characterization. A visual novel or sound novel might have no gameplay at all while being very good at all those other things. Or, a game might have fun gameplay but no story whatsoever.
>>
>>4251767
Best sword swing in the series.
>>
>>4251817
Not to mention the owl speeches or every single time you pick up a triangle or acorn.
>>
When you have to resort to "these text screens that appear sometimes" to indicate a game's gameplay flaws, you can tell there aren't many flaws with the gameplay itself.
>>
>>4254186
The flaw is the over abundance of text screens, which kills the momentum and pacing of the gameplay.
>>
>>4254267
I can understand that, but it has more to do with overall design than pure gameplay.
The pure gameplay is how Link controls, how the enemies' hitboxes work, how the item work, etc, etc.
If anything I can understand the complaint about having to turn up the menu screen (to switch items) a lot, rather than the text messages.
The owl only appears a number of times in the game total. Sure, he appears consecutively sometimes, but then you can play hours and hours without seeing him again.
And the textbox that appears when you don't have the power bracelet to pick up stones can be avoided by simply not touching the stones.

My point is that, while the game does have some minimal flaws, the gameplay itself is pretty great and it's hard to come up with significant criticism for it. "Text" or "menu switching" is more like nitpicks, which I'm not saying it's wrong to point out, but it's really minimal.
>>
>>4254150
>You only need one item to kill the final boss.
>magic powder
>sword
>pegasus boots
>magic rod, hookshot or bomb
>arrow or boomerang
>roc's feather throughout most of it unless you're suicidal
>one item
Sure.
>>
I'm waiting for the thread where someone asks if Super Mario Bros. has good gameplay
>>
>>4254369
I mean that you can kill the final boss with one hit in the eye with the boomerang. Yes you need different items to kill all the other Nightmares that come right before the final boss, but you have an obvious cue to switch your items when the boss changes forms. It's not like you have to execute any item switches with precise timing.

Link's Awakening has incredible gameplay given the limitations of gameboy controls.
>>
>>4254421
Come on, don't try to pull this, the final boss is the same and it just has a bunch of final forms. And yes, you have a cue about when it's taking a different forms, and props to you if you had telepathic powers on your first playthrough and knew in advance just exactly which items you would need to equip to beat it, but I hope you realize most of us lack that preternatural skill.

It had incredible gameplay given it's limitations, but there are ways to work around this limitations that it could have easily taken. Look at the Oracles games, item swapping (which is also done constantly for us non-telepathic mortals) is a breeze, saving doesn't require twitching your thumbs like an idiot, and it all works a lot better with the same control limitations.

While I have the feeling you're the same anon saying that stuff that ruins the pace of the action isn't "gameplay related", I'm just gonna point out that there isn't one single reason to make every object you can interact with in the game give a lenghty, useless message everytime you merely touch it. There's no control justification for that, just pure retardation.
>>
>>4254438
>While I have the feeling you're the same anon saying that stuff that ruins the pace of the action isn't "gameplay related",
I'm that guy, and not the guy you're replying to, but yeah I think that the owl messages or the stone messages aren't part of the core gameplay. The item menu switching, however, is more related to the actual gameplay, it's something you can't really evade, and that will be constant throughout the game, unlike the owl, which only appears a limited number of times, or the stone messages, that can be avoided.
I admitted, though, that they were flaws, I'm not saying it doesn't affect the pacing of the game, which is why I made the distinction between overall game design and pure/core gameplay. I'm just pointing out how we really have to stretch it and split hairs in order to find flaws.
>>
>>4254438
I'm neurotic and don't play games "correctly" so I look up all the important stuff beforehand.

>there isn't one single reason to make every object you can interact with in the game give a lenghty, useless message everytime you merely touch it.
Your right, but I didn't remember it being like that. How does the game know you "touched" a stone or a pot without you pressing an action button? I thought that happened if you pressed A while facing a stone but I must have remembered wrong. I guess I just quickly got used to not doing whatever triggered those annoying messages and then never saw them again.

That's a user interface issue at worst though. The worst way it interacts with "gameplay" is when you are fighting a bunch of mobs in a screen that has rocks too. Otherwise it mostly just comes up when you aren't doing anything important anyway.
>>
>>4254450
>owl messages
Is anyone even complaining about the owl? That would be like complaining that a game has cutscenes. How ADHD are you that you can't read a few lines of text without throwing a fit? If anyone is seriously annoyed by the rare, infrequent presence of the owl in the game, I don't know what to tell them.
>>
>>4254369
>>roc's feather throughout most of it unless you're suicidal
I played through Link's Awakening without it ever occurring to me to jump during combat. I only used it for getting over holes.
>>
>>4254165
This. It spoiled me so that I had trouble when I first played ALttP with handling the sword right.
>>
>>4251817
>>4254167
>>4254186
>>4254267

Fortunately someone finally made a hack to fix those problems:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3597/

This simple “Quality of Life” hack changes only three things in the original Zelda - Link’s Awakening DX.

Changes:
-No more text when you touch certain objects. Rocks, cracked rocks, pots, ice blocks, etc.
-Guardian Acorns and Pieces of Power are quick pickups. No more long text interrupting game play.
-No more low health beeping.
>>
>>4251852
>Oracles that high
>>
>>4256509
I don't see the problem.
>>
>>4256509
You're right. They should be #1
>>
>>4256502
>No more low health beeping.
I think that would ruin the game for me. You shouldn't be walking around with half a heart anyway.
>>
>>4251852
For Frog the bell tolls is really bad. It has zero depth, not even a pretense of non-linearity or openness, and no real action gameplay. If it didn't have charming art/aesthetics, it would be meritless. And its definitely not better than Zelda 2, not even close.
>>
>>4256509
The Oracle games are incredibly polished. They were the final expression of 2D Zelda until Link Between Worlds.

I hate to sound like a summerfag who says shit like "comfy" but Seasons is comfy AF.
>>
>>4257229
>They were the final expression of 2D Zelda until Link Between Worlds.

Did everybody forget about Minish Cap?
>>
>>4251767
The swordplay was absolutely perfect. Dropped the ball on the bosses, though. Bosses 4, 5, 6 & 8 were worthless even on a first playthrough, which is a little too little.
>>
>>4257241
we're doing our best to forget it
>>
>>4256502
Now if only they'd remove that faggot owl that tells you to take the only path you're already restricted to or to tail the named key to the named keyhole.
>>
>>4255981
It's crazy how much they seemed to perfect the zelda 1 formula in just a single game. The sword swing and even Link's walking speed are just so damn satisfying.
>>
>>4251852
>For Frog the Bell Tolls
That's not even a game in the Zelda series. It just shares a game engine, and genre-wise it is totally different.

>>4256778
It's an adventure game at heart with some platforming/rpg aspects. You missed the point if you thought it was something akin to Zelda. I personally think it's great.
>>
I've got mixed feelings a out LA.

On the one hand the game controls great and has possibly the best sword swing of the series. The dungeons are also expertly designed.

On the other hand, it's linear as fuck. Without glitches there's only one order in which you can do the dungeons. There's also mandatory sidequest stuff which is annoying. Not just talking about the trading sequence, the biggest offender here was that faggot ghost that appears randomly halfway through the game and keeps having text messages pop up every thirty fucking seconds. I actually found the next dungeon before his house and I couldn't enter because the ghost would say he was scared.

So before I'm allowed to progress I'm forced to just wander around until I find his old house, and what do I get? Not an item I need to progress, like a new item or a key, I get one of those seashells. Why the hell do I have to do this? The reward is just a collectible for an optional item I don't care about but it's something I HAVE to do. This part wasn't fun it was just fucking annoying. There's a difference between fun exploration and aimlessly wandering around until you find the ONE thing you have to do next. And with that ghost yapping on and on the whole time.

The item swapping fucking sucks. It takes like two whole seconds to enter the pause screen and two to leave. Which doesnt sound bad, but you often have to switch items every other screen because of the way the environment is laid out. People rag on the boot switching in oot's water temple, but this entire game is like that. This along with the fucking text bubbles from bumping into a rock or picking up a power acorn, as well as screen transitions that aren't really slow but aren't exactly fast either, and there's just too much bullshit in the game for me to enjoy it.

Which is too bad, because the story is really interesting, the dungeons are all fantastic, it has some of the bet combat of the top down 2d games, and it has a great map.
>>
It is my favorite 2D Zelda. It is also not the best 2D Zelda. I recommend it.
>>
>>4251767
Yes. Now go away.
>>
>>4258815
Yeah, I guess FFtBT succeeds as an adventure game, with fun puzzles and interactions, and its a pleasant ride. But its skinned as an action/adventure, with its superficial combat and leveling mechanics, which made it feel like a bait and switch to me.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.