[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In my honest opinion, Bubsy I and II were surprisingly okay games,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_2344.jpg (74KB, 640x466px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2344.jpg
74KB, 640x466px
In my honest opinion, Bubsy I and II were surprisingly okay games, people who bitched about them being bad either sucked at more challenging games or never played them. The only big flaw Bubsy had were the enemy designs. The common "OMG it has fall damage!!" complaint is dumb as you're supposed to make Bubsy simply start gliding to avoid fall damage. Am I just a masochist with bad taste or does anyone else have similar views on other games that are mostly considered bad?
>>
I tried to like them, since I genuinely like Bubsy as a character, but

>has Sonic's high speed, but there's no health system or spinning attack to protect you from enemies, so you have to awkwardly inch your way through the entire game
>jump height is way too high
>you have to keep the d-pad held down to control Bubsy's momentum, because the game will restore his original movement speed if you let go
>sprawling levels that aren't worth exploring unless you're going for a high score run
>graphics and sound don't justify the massive cartridge size
>>
>>4249950
Years ago, I used to find the lack of health and constant one hit K.O.'s to be annoying, but later on I've realized that a lot of games had that trait. It just makes it more challenging and I don't mind it anymore. Don't see how the jump height is problematic, as you could just instead use glide to jump less high. I do agree with the rest of what you've said though. But despite that, I think the hate towards Bubsy isn't justifiable, as I've seen many worse games that even people as patient as me couldn't handle.
>>
1 was average, 2 was a step down
both weren't as bad as people say
>>
>>4249962
Why do you consider 2 being a step down though?
>>
I played the Bubsy games a lot back in the 16 bit era. I honestly didn't know that the games had such a bad reputation until I started coming to /vr/.
>>
>>4249970
Level design is a cluster fuck.
>>
>>4249960
>Don't see how the jump height is problematic, as you could just instead use glide to jump less high.
It's because in order to effectively jump in this game, you basically have to press two buttons while other platformers at the time didn't require that many steps to effectively jump over obstacles.

It's also the fact that when you're jumping, there's a chance that you hit something that was outside of your peripheral vision simply because they were somewhere above you (offscreen) or below you (offscreen).
>>
>>4250016
That's a fair statement, I'll agree with you there. Despite it not bothering me too frequently, it was at times rather annoying with the off-screen obstacles.
>>
>>4249976
It's mostly an eceleb thing. There are worse SNES platformers, just this one had Bubsy 3D later. So the series is easy to review.
>>
>>4250016
I found that if you do the pounce attack you often land on and kill things. Most of the times enemies are set up where you can pounce on multiple ones in a row.
Also I like how enemies don't come back one you kill them. You can race through areas full speed where you know everything is dead.
>>
You're just probably not very well acquainted with the genre, so you find painfully boring games like bupsy "surprisingly okay".
>>
>>4250265
I'm well acquainted with platformers, bitch nigga, it's literally babbie's first videogame.
>>
>game is bad
>everyone agrees game is bad
>eceleb makes video stating the obvious
>suddenly game isn't bad anymore
/vr/
>>
File: IMG_3972 (1).jpg (22KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3972 (1).jpg
22KB, 256x192px
>>4250269
Who the fuck are you? You're not the OP.

>>4250265
Or maybe I'm just overly tolerant. The same thing goes for low budget movies, I can look past all the flaws and somehow enjoy them.
>>
>>4250284
>Who the fuck are you? You're not the OP.
When did I say I was, bitch nigga. I just think Bubsy was an alright game I beat before you were even born.
>>
>>4250279
>game is not bad anymore
>one eceleb
le me me did i do it right reddit?

No one's saying it's not good and the franchise has been a subject of laughs for most Youtubers since AVGN. It's basically the Manos: The Hands of Fate of video games.
>>
>>4250286
*no one's saying it's good
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>4250289
It's good though.
>>
I genuinely don't see how it's a bad game.
>>
File: snapshot.jpg (62KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
snapshot.jpg
62KB, 480x360px
I hate how they replaced the jazzy tunes from the original with generic obnoxious cartoon sounds for the soundtrack in the second game.
Original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyaHJgetuWI
Sequel:
https://youtu.be/aodgIw92pQM
>>
File: patton face when.jpg (50KB, 511x514px) Image search: [Google]
patton face when.jpg
50KB, 511x514px
>When ecelebs who weren't old enough to even rent video games from the store talk shit about Bubsy

I liked Bubsy 1 and 2 as rental fodder - there were a lot of games you didn't own, but loved to rent - there were actual seriously bad SNES and Genesis games to rent, but either Bubsy wasn't.
>>
Angry reviewers ruined Bubsy's reputation which was really only tainted from Bubsy 3D. Even then Bubsy 3D was praised for being the first 3D platformer in some magazines. Bubsy 1 and 2 mostly got positive reviews and were touted as the next big mascot.

New game will likely be ok, nothing special for people to remember nor bad but people will bash it just for cheap youtube views.
>>
File: fact.png (9KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
fact.png
9KB, 400x300px
Bubsy Fact

Klonoafags in suicide watch
>>
>>4250341
>for being the first 3D platformer
It's time to stop posting.
>>
>>4250353
Nobody cared about Jumping Flash, fuck off, underage.
>>
>>4250356
It's still shipost, even if you're being ironic.
>>
>>4250341
>for being the first 3D platformer
It's not even the first 3D platformer released for the Playstation, that would be Crash Bandicoot.

Even then, Mario 64 was released months earlier and controls WAY more fluidly than Bubsy 3D did.
>>
>>4250389
Jumping Flash predated them all.
>>
>>4250389
>>4250353
It released in June in Europe anons, I know because I bought it with the money I got from finishing the school year. Before Crash/Mario/TR
>>
>>4250406
Who gives a shit about europe you inbred goat fucker.
>>
>>4250404
Okay, but that still doesn't refute my argument. We had better 3D games around the same time as Bubsy 3D's release.
>>4250406
Read 'em and weep.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crash_Bandicoot_(video_game)
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Mario_64
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubsy_3D
>>
>>4249914

I liked bubsy games as a kid. At the time I never knew people dispised the game, so I would just rent it from time to time. Never finished them but I remember getting very far in the game and having fun.
>>
File: babasy.png (138KB, 1060x1098px) Image search: [Google]
babasy.png
138KB, 1060x1098px
>>4249914
yeah man, bubsy is rad as hell. I really like how he bounces...I mean wouldn't it be kinda weird but cool if he could like lay eggs? haha xD like, what if you could smell the eggs haha I wonder what it would be like if I put them in my mouth haha just wondering :3
>>
People who hate Bubsy just have to git gud.

Gameplay is okay, graphics and sound are very good.
>>
>>4249914
I agree, haven't played Bubsy II but the original game is just the most mediocre of mascot platformers. People blow it out of proportion just because of Bubsy 3D and that one Jaguar game both being abysmal.
>>
>>4250635
The gameplay is shit.

What's the point of moving quickly when everything kills you in one hit? What's the point of jumping so high when the screen is so small, you can run into enemies that you don't see because they're above or below you? What's the point of having fall damage in a platforming game in the first place when the players have the ability to mitigate it with the push of a button?

Granted, it's not the hardest platformer in the world but the issue is that it's very tedious to beat most levels since the basic elements of the game fundamentally oppose one another in a way that basically makes it more difficult than it had any right to be.
>>
Bubsy has some fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09MzaJVH5b4
>>
They're bad but not "meme bad", just bad.
Badly designed too as >>4249950 explained.
>>
>>4249914
I've never been able to get into 2. It seems like it SHOULD be better but there's just something about it that makes me unable to give a fuck. It's just not enjoyable. The first game is, however, a pretty good game.
>>
>>4250341
Underage spotted. Bubsy's poor reputation came from the fact that the games got marketed like the greatest thing since sliced bread, then they actually came out and reviews started pointing out how they were absolutely nothing special. THIS is what got them their reputation.
>>
>>4249970

2 feels like it was rushed out unfinished. there are some good ideas, but they're all executed horribly for the most part. It's not terrible, but it's not as good as 1, which is only average to begin with.
>>
They're not terrible, it's certainly possible to play and enjoy Bubsy 1 and 2.

3D looks like it should be running on some ancient mainframe accompanied by a placard reading 'First real time computer graphics'. And it plays just as well.
>>
File: the brainies snes.jpg (100KB, 800x558px) Image search: [Google]
the brainies snes.jpg
100KB, 800x558px
>>4251560
>they were absolutely nothing special.

That doesn't mean bad

I rented MUCH worse on the SNES
>>
>>4249914
i had the first Bubsy ever since i was a kid and thought it was okay. Really the game lacks any significant feature that is really fun. Most of it is just kinda ok. making Busby bounce around at incredibly fast speed was fun but that usually didn't last long considering the amount of level hazards and enemies there were in a stage. I think most people hate Bubsy because the character himself is just so annoying.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.