[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I played this game a lot back then, even if I never advanced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

I played this game a lot back then, even if I never advanced that much (the only thing I remember was the minecart segment).
How were the other Dizzy games?
>>
>>4249751
decent
>>
>>4249751
More of the same. Owned almost all of them. Spellbound Dizzy was the best one.
>>
>>4249751
>How were the other Dizzy games?
Rage inducingly infuriating. Supposedly "kidz" games, but were about as kid friendly as a night in a Turkish jail. Treasure Island Dizzy especially is a brutal slog where you have ONE life to complete an incredibly tough game, and has a mechanic where you must hold a snorkel item at all times while underwater or you drown. Oh yes, and you regularly have to pick up and juggle your inventory while underwater, making it extremely you will drop the snorkel and therefore fuck up and fail the entire game!
Some of the later ones are a lot more fun (starting from Magicland Dizzy), especially once they started giving you a health bar instead of instantly killing you (the game has retarded jumping physics and mastering how the momentum makes you move in odd ways or die instantly is something it often loves to make you do).
Bonus points also for literally being made by a pair of teenagers and therefore being packed with spelling and grammar mistakes.
>>
>>4250056
I played all the Dizzy games on Spectrum and your experiences mirror mine. Infuriating they were but I loved them all the same. Fantasy World Dizzy was my favourite, although I remember finally rescuing Daisy then being forced to go back and collect all the coins to complete the game but then getting trapped in the 'Amazing Illusion' screen.
>>
>>4250156
>Fantasy World Dizzy was my favourite, although I remember finally rescuing Daisy then being forced to go back and collect all the coins to complete the game but then getting trapped in the 'Amazing Illusion' screen.

Yeah, they LOVED this bullshit, I think all of the games post the first one had this as a pointless time sink at the end. At least in Magicland (which was almost certainly my favourite) they had a point beyond being an arbitrary collectathon in that they gave you energy back when you picked them up. I actually completed all of them actual puzzle-wise (cheating using walkthroughs in magazines as a kid) but I'm not sure I bothered getting the collectables for any of them. From what I can see on Youtube the endings were pretty much "lol you actually got all the coins/gems? Ok the computer will reset now bye". Really rewarding stuff.
They were pretty charming games and I enjoyed them, but I really can't see going down well with gamers these days.
Lots of good spin off games as well, Kwik Snax was quite fun on both Speccy and C64 (oddly the former was a Pengo clone while the latter was an peculiar take on Pac Man) and Dizzy down the Rapids was a pretty fun Toobin clone.
>>
>>4250654
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isEfaSB4-o8
>>
>>4250056
>and has a mechanic where you must hold a snorkel item at all times while underwater or you drown. Oh yes, and you regularly have to pick up and juggle your inventory while underwater, making it extremely you will drop the snorkel and therefore fuck up and fail the entire game!
This is WHY you only have one life, actually. You originally had multiple, but they realized that you dying from some snorkel-related mishap that would render the game unwinnable once you respawned was going to happen so often the game would essentially be considered broken, so they had to make it one life only.
The original Dizzy and that fucking tree where you'd always respawn in an eternal death loop if you fell off without getting rid of the apple first was annoying enough, but at least that was just one single area.
>>
>>4250654
Yeah. Treasure Island was pretty funny about it, since it has you making it back to the mainland after finally escaping that stupid island just to find a toll gate and a dickhead that demands 50 coins before you can disembark.
>>
>>4250654
>Kwik Snax was quite fun

I loved the ragtime soundtrack for that.
>>
>>4251056
>This is WHY you only have one life, actually. You originally had multiple, but they realized that you dying from some snorkel-related mishap that would render the game unwinnable once you respawned was going to happen so often the game would essentially be considered broken, so they had to make it one life only.
My mind is blown. Actually makes sense now!
>>
>>4249751
You should go back and finish it.
It is still fun. Great areas to explore.
Underwater music is cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLOXS9chdgk
>>
>>4251229
Should be noted that they DO consider this a design flaw, but they had too strict a deadline and would have to essentially remake the entire game in order to work around it, so the one life only thing was the only actual solution.
>>
File: 1442292735064.gif (316KB, 241x200px) Image search: [Google]
1442292735064.gif
316KB, 241x200px
pretty groovy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1JWlSwKvV4
>>
>>4251229
Found it:

https://www.retrogamer.net/retro_games80/the-making-of-treasure-island-dizzy/
>something wasn’t working quite as it should have been. And for those who played Treasure Island Dizzy at the tail end of the Eighties it was a problem that would, at that particular time, haunt their gaming life. It also had the potential to damage the Dizzy series before it had really got going.

>“Right up until the last few days of development, Treasure Island Dizzy had the same number of lives as the original Dizzy game,” says Philip. “But then we discovered a problem.” The original Dizzy game had five lives, however, Treasure Island Dizzy had just one. It made the game, by far, the most difficult of the whole series, although, in some sense, it also meant forward planning was key if you were to ever get to the end. That, however, wasn’t the intention when the Olivers started to program the game.

>“The one life was due to a logic bug,” explains Philip. “We found that if the player put down an object underwater or on the far beach it was extremely easy to drown poor old Dizzy. He’d be reset to the beach but be unable to get the snorkel or the items left on the far beach – making the game impossible to complete. We were under a huge amount of pressure to deliver the game so we ran out of time to solve that problem. It left us with only one option – we had to remove the other lives.”
>>
>>4251056
>The original Dizzy and that fucking tree where you'd always respawn in an eternal death loop
I don't remember that one, but I do remember there being a bridge with a skeleton in it that you would fall into if you didn't jump in the middle of it and that you kept respawning in the middle of the screen (with the bridge being gone) and continually falling to death on the skeleton.

One time I was almost entirely through the game and I didn't time the jump right and kept falling to my death there. I was so pissed back then.

Also, is the 100th screen in Spellbound Dizzy broken for everyone else? You just fell into a big room with nothing in it and no way to get out.
>>
File: tree of doom.jpg (116KB, 513x369px) Image search: [Google]
tree of doom.jpg
116KB, 513x369px
>>4254701
>I don't remember that one
This fucking place. If you mess up any jump towards the left as you make your way up that tall tree, you WILL land on that apple in the tree below if it's still there, and this WILL make you respawn directly above that apple and lock you into a game over loop.
You can get rid of the apple with the hard hat item in advance, though. Once it's gone, it stays gone.
>>
>>4254563
I'm surprised that they didn't implement a respawn for the snorkel, i.e. if you drop it underwater or die whilst it's on the other beach it could respawn in its original position so as not to screw you over completely. Sure it doesn't make a lot of sense but at least it wouldn't break the game or force it into becoming the single-life nightmare it was.
>>
File: DSC_0341.jpg (2MB, 6036x4020px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0341.jpg
2MB, 6036x4020px
>>4251056

They explained this at their book launch in Notts a year ago. Was a very interesting night. Met them both and they signed my Dizzy beading.
>>
>>4254726

I think the just didn't have the time. They wrote and finished each Dizzy game in only 4 weeks or so.
>>
>>4254802
Yeah, they've mentioned it multiple times. They have a couple Let's Play Youtube videos up where they play their games a bit and talk about some design choices too, I think they bring it up there too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ014u713Qs
>>
>>4254884

yeah I've seen that one.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.