[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What game invented wall jumping? Was it this one?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Batman_-_The_Video_Game_NES_07.png (3KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_-_The_Video_Game_NES_07.png
3KB, 512x480px
What game invented wall jumping?
Was it this one?
>>
File: Strtfgtr2010.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Strtfgtr2010.png
4KB, 256x224px
>>2782293

The first game that came to mind was Street Fighter 2010, but you don't technically do triangle jumps in that. Instead, you grapple to walls and then can jump off when you want to.

According to release dates though, Batman did come out about 1/2 a year earlier.
>>
>>2782324
I'd still count that as wall jumping, but Batman was earlier, as you said.

I am just asking the question because I watched a review of Super Mario 64 where the reviewer said it incorporates aspects of other previous Nintendo games "such as the ground pound from Yoshi's Island and the wall jumping that could be taken from Super Metroid". It made me wonder, that surely there are earlier games than Super Metroid that had wall jumping. Batman was the earliest I could think off.
>>
File: trilogy1-manual[1].jpg (13KB, 400x140px) Image search: [Google]
trilogy1-manual[1].jpg
13KB, 400x140px
Ninja Gaiden (1988)
>>
>>2782293
Maybe because fans discovered to glitch wall jump in Super Mario Bros. and other picked this idea up?

And yes, all those famous Super Mario glitches, also like the Minus-World were discovered in Japan very early after release. Since like the idea of the Minus World was also sorta picked up/referenced in the japanese Super Mario Bros. 2

Anyway i really can't think of something earlier, also on other consoles.
>>
>>2782348
Was that glitch really that famous back then? I can imagine it being popular among the video game croud of the 80s but it being so big that it actually sinpired the mechanic? Well, who knows.

>>2782340
How did I even manage to forget that. Came out 9 months before Bamham.
>>
>>2782353
>Was that glitch really that famous back then?

Sure hard to tell and and even harder to proof. I can see it was likely quite known in Japanese game culture, but in western countries i'm sure it was pretty late. Still i can see some Devs might have catched up there.

We need to find an earlier game with walljumps, maybe on another console, or computer to disproof..
Atleast a very interesting topic, thanks OP for this one.
>>
Other quite early games:
- Strider (~89)
- Rastan (~88)
- Zool (well this one came out in ~92)
>>
>>2782360
Maybe it is possible to find interviews of the devs (of Ninja Gaiden or Batman) where they talk about it? Surely they are still in the industry today. (Though I wouldn't bet on that, some of the devs of the 8-bit era classics are not working on vidya anymore.)

>>2782335
Thinking about that, what game invented the ground pound? Wario Land came before Yoshi's Island, but did that have ground pounding already? Not so sure.

Let's make this a general "what game introduced what classic mechanic?" thread, I guess.

>>2782368
Wiki says Rastan came out on '87. So it would be the earliest one so far.
>>
>>2782370
Well, what game invented holding the button to charge an attack?
>>
>>2782370
But afaik only the Master System version of Rastan could wall jump, which was later.
>>
>>2782381
Yeah, I am currently watching footage of the game and I never saw any walljumping so far.

Game looks fun though. Plunging into enemies with your firy sword thrust downwards, shooting fire balls from your sword. Simple mindless fun.
>>
>>2782378
R-Type according to Giant Bomb - http://www.giantbomb.com/charge/3015-1060/
>>
>>2782406
Seems reasonable.
>>
I was going to say Strider or other ninja game. I think wall-jumping was perfected by Shinobi though.
>>
>>2782353
>Was that glitch really that famous back then?
>>2782360
>I can see it was likely quite known in Japanese game culture, but in western countries i'm sure it was pretty late.
In the US it was definitely famous among every NES-owning kid at my school. I only received the last couple issues of NFCN before it was replaced with Nintendo Power, but I seem to remember watching a friend do it before ever seeing it mentioned in either magazine. Maybe it was printed in an earlier issue of FCN that I never got.

When you line everything up I'm pretty sure lots of American kids knew about it pre-1988, possibly even by 1986.

>>2782370
>Thinking about that, what game invented the ground pound?
Does SMW cape Mario slamming the ground count?
>>
>>2783020
>In the US it was definitely famous among every NES-owning kid at my school.
Yes, but you see, if one kid discovers it at one school it will go around at that school, but not necessarily spread across the country.
>>
>>2782340
Didn't wall jumping get implemented in 2? Or was it wall scaling?
Or was Arino just bad?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.