[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GB Boy Colour

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 6

File: img_9530.jpg (150KB, 1018x768px) Image search: [Google]
img_9530.jpg
150KB, 1018x768px
I've heard that this clone of the Gameboy Color has really high compatibilty while having a backlit screen. Anyone who has any experience with it, that can confirm?
>>
Compatibility is fine and controls are better than they look. That too-wide screen tho...
>>
>>2781998

This, it's on sale for $25.99 for a while this month, so it's totally worth that.
>>
File: 20151108_031658.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151108_031658.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
Or get a supercard sd for half as much and play everything on your advance
>>
>>2781993

I just don't get why they chose that kind of screen. Would it have been so difficult to do a correctly- proportioned one? Surely nintendo doesn't have a patent on a screen resolution.
>>
>>2781993
now take a pic of both of them next to each other in a well lit room, or outside

>>2782061
>Would it have been so difficult to do a correctly- proportioned one?
Very likely, yes. These panels are not custom made, too expensive.
>>
>>2782061
Even if they did, do you really think "Kongfeng" gives any hecks about patents?

Anyway, never had my hands on this thing but I can tell the plastic is cheap and wouldn't be surprised if they skimped on the guts as well.
>>
>>2782053
And where would you buy one of those nowadays?
>>
>>2782178
AliExpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/supercard.html?ltype=wholesale&SearchText=supercard&d=y&origin=y&initiative_id=SB_20151107101638&isViewCP=y&catId=0
>>
>>2781993

the screen improvement gets overshadowed by it's crappy d-pad and awful buttons.
>>
>>2782205
"improvement"
aspect's fucked, use in daylight's fucked
>>
>>2782053
What's the compatibility like on those? Does it have trouble with games that use special graphics chips?
>>
>>2782216
>games that use special graphics chips
Name some. I'm not aware of the GB(C) have any graphical in-cart chips
>>
>>2782220
Don't a lot of gba games use them?
>>
>>2782226

what's GBA have to do with this thread?
>>
>>2782226
I'm not aware of any, though the GBA as a platform never interested me. Boktai has an additional sensor, but that's about it, as far as I am aware.
>>
>>2782234
The suggested SuperCard is for GBA. The thread topic is GBC games, but buying a GBA SuperCard exclusively for GBC games is foolish.
That said, I agree with you, let's keep this focused on good handhelds.
>>
>>2782234
sorry, thought that was a gba flash cart. Doesn't look like it would fit in a gba but whatever
>>
>>2782249
fit in a gbc I mean. Things too short
>>
>>2782205
>wrong resolution
>improvement

Maybe it's because I grew up with the original gameboy so I'm used to seeking out a lightsource, but trading proper resolution for a backlight is not an improvement in my book. Bunch of youngfags on this board, I swear to god.
>>
>>2782240
>buying a GBA SuperCard exclusively for GBC games is foolish.

I use it for NES, GB and GBC
It fits the full catalogue for each system and then some.
I have the full Sega Master System catalogue as well on it but it runs with some slow down.
>>
>>2782249
It IS a GBA cart. It was in response to the suggestion of using a GBA flash cart to play GBC games on it, on a GBA, since people supposedly have their GBAs still, but not their GBCs.
>>
>>2782263

I've still got my orginal brick, a pocket, 2 colors, 2 GBAs, and 1 SP. The only GameBoy model I was never interested in and never bought was the micro.
>>
>>2782273
funny enough, the micro is the only GBA model I'm even remotely interested in. I don't like the GBA as a platform much, but the micro design is gorgeous
>>
>>2782274

The lack of compatibility with GB and GBC makes it useless to me. Also the GBA SP and later on the DS spoiled me with clamshell designs so now I hate portables with exposed screens, including smartphones. Honestly, the SP is damn near perfect in my mind, the only faults it has are the flimsy shoulder buttons and lack of a headphone jack.
>>
OK, can someone provide a source for buying a GBC flashcart?

I'm the original poster of the GBA with supercart. I've already stated the purposes for which I use it. And guess what? I don't play GBA games because most of them lag.
But for 20 bucks I have all the GB and GBC games on one cart playable on a backlit original hardware.
>>
>>2782283
For GBC and GB games I have a perfectly functional GBC. The micro would be a standalone addition, used exclusively with a filled micro SD card. I love its simplicity. No hinges, no wasted space, no fuss. Just controls and a display.
>>
>>2782285
I bought an overpriced Everdrive straight from the source. It has seen very little use so far, so I am afraid I can't comment on its usefulness or shortcomings.
>>
>>2782291

Well good luck finding one for a good price if you haven't done so already, aren't they getting fairly expensive compared to other models? Also, I hope you didn't want a specific faceplate, I never see those while game chasing any more.
>>
Are we allowed to talk about the GameBoy player ITT? I love mine and personally, I don't think any GameBoy collection is complete without it. Games like Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission and the GBA Castlevania games have so much detail crammed into them it's almost like they were made to be played on the big screen.
>>
>>2782262
>I use it for NES
256x224 v 240x160
I think it's kinda bad.
>>
>>2782305
>Games like Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission and the GBA Castlevania games
should not be talked about ITT
>>
>>2782309
>but Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night are Fine!
>it doesn't matter that the games you want to discuss play identically because they were released in the wrong year!

You autists make me fucking sick.
>>
>>2782329
We're in a GB(C) thread. These games are decidedly not GB(C) material.
>>
>>2782350
look at the thread title/subject and/or go fuck yourself. The GBA was merely brought up as means to play GBC games on a cheaper/more common flash card.
>>
File: 20151108_072038.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20151108_072038.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>2782306
It's not like I live by it bud.
I have all I need and more so. If I want to take a shit whilst playing Bump n Jump I can.
My wii does everything else perfectly.
>>
>>2782379
Sorry pal, I'm against self immolation- I only play on real hardware and real carts.

:^)
>>
>>2781993
just looking at it i can almost feel how awful the dpad is
>>
File: gbboy.png (1MB, 771x722px) Image search: [Google]
gbboy.png
1MB, 771x722px
I have one, its actually pretty good, feels and works better than it looks like, but its not perfect.

Buttons are fine, but the d-pad is ass, main problem is that you can press it in(like x360 controllers d-pad), and you have to press it harder than on other controllers, but its useable at very least. I opened it and after tinkering around for while I ended up replacing the plastic d-pad part with one from gbc and it ended-up feeling much, much better.

It lacks infrared port completely, not huge loss since like two games used it.

Headphone port is much, much louder and it doesn't have that annoying noise gbc has, well it does but its nowhere as noticeable.

Screen is good, but its at wrong aspect-ratio and has that weird checker-board pattern on it, but its something you dont notice after playing for while.

I have tired bunch of more or less popular games on it(outside of pokemon, I dont have any of them and I never plan to buy any of them) and none had any problems, although on two, tony hawks pro skater 2 and kirbys dream land 2 on audio one of channels completely dropped, but it fixed itself after pausing the game and unpausing, or when the song changes, weird but not that huge of deal.

Also on mine speaker completely died at some point, I dont care since I use headphones all the time anyway.

I dont know the exact battery life, but it feels around the same as gbc, take or give hour or two.

Some models also has build-in multicart, mine is 188-in-1 which doesnt have any repeats and the games list is alright, most of them are puzzle games, some platformers and other random bizarre japanese games.

(continued on the next post)
>>
>>2782606

Personally I like gba:sp more because its smaller, build-in battery dem clicky buttons and smaller size, and if you can find the AGS-101 model the screen is awesome, although the front-light one is alright for gb/c games too(but at times too dark on some not-retro games), you also need adapter to use headphones, but those are cheap and common.

Someone also mentioned the gba supercard, and I do not recomend it, its absolutely piece of shit all the way from build-quality to the software, it barely runs 1% of the not-retro games at full-speed(and most of them are unplayable or runs very slowly, crashing all the damn time). gb/c emulation is hit-or-miss, some games are fine, some doesnt run at all. Nes emulation has glitched music and graphics HIGHLY depending on the game, but most games "works" fine outside of gba's much smaller resolution.
For gb/c flashcard, get the gb everdrive. for gba, ez-flash IV.
>>
>>2782187
>they're still making these with mini-SD interfaces

Why. MicroSD has the same pinout and has completely superseded mini.
>>
>>2782747
ez-flash IV is much superior, and uses micro-sd's.
>>
It's off topic but someone needs to sayit ITT

Supercard has poor GBA compatibility
>>
>>2782747
>>2782817

The reason these carts all use mini cards is because they're all ripping off the same design (Namely the original EZ-Flash IV from 2002) and none of these clone manufacturers are able to modify or update it because they likely don't even know how it works. It's like how there are thousands of R4s in the DS world and none of them are from the actual company that spawned the brand.

EZ-Flash IV was always mini-SD based, but iirc they finally made a microSD version very recently.
>>
>>2782823
Does it at least work with Mother 3? I want to make a stand-alone repo of it by gutting a flashcart. Also, can it autoboot a rom, without showing the menu?
>>
>>2782925
Probably not, SC has problems running most common gba games. SC itself doesnt fit into normal gba cart(its too large), and lastly it always goes to the menu, no autoboot function.
>>
>>2782937
Thank you for that info. I'll have to look into a mini ez-flash or something instead.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.