[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Twisted Metal & car combat thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

File: twisted-metal-usa.jpg (110KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
twisted-metal-usa.jpg
110KB, 600x588px
Today is this game's 20th anniversary, and David Jaffe is still a major dick.

So what about /vr/? Playing any car combat games lately? Is there any game that has more of a dickhead AI than the first two Twisted Metal games?
>>
File: Outlaw_2.jpg (13KB, 116x354px) Image search: [Google]
Outlaw_2.jpg
13KB, 116x354px
It took me many, many years to find out that Head On was the right game for me.

TM2 had low framerate, graphics were too early-3D for me, control preset had a few personal quirks.

TMB had god tier story, characters and vehicles, but gameplay was a bit dodgy for me.

TM PS3 was all gameplay, but characters and vehicles were definitely not there at all.

Then I played Head On and was pleasantly surprised that the PSP condensed controls were perfect for me. The art style was still the traditional Single Tac comic style used in Twisted Metal and Jet Moto. All the amazing characters and vehicles were still there. I was so happy with the game, I got the Extra Twisted edition for PS2 which had great bonus content.

Claiming Outlaw as my waifu. Angel/Thumper was hot AF too.
>>
>>2779015

>David Jaffe is still a major dick

What did he do? All I remember is something about him bitching out some kotaku moron and being recorded.
Motherfucker brought us TM1&2, his contribution to society is complete.
>>
>>2779015
To unlock warthog in ps3 TM you have to beat the game on the hardest setting which is basically all ai's ignoring each other, ramming you full speed and shooting all weapons at you what seems like 3 at a time + freeze. Great gameplay, same rad Fucking balanced weapons, but lame ass story and characters and only a few actually cool vehicles.

Only game with more of a dick ai is the wipeout series. If you rape your way to first place early on all the other ships rocket ahead with infinite mass while shoving you out of the way without flinching.
>>
>>2779015
>dickhead AI
That only thing that pissed me off in TM2 is how the enemies would go for the health when theirs was low, but it makes sense, so I can't say it's a dick move, just occasionally frustrating if you don't stop them.

TM1 had simple, predictable AI as I recall. Though, as a kid, I think I always played on easy...

>>2779409
Wipeouts 1 through 64 have zero rubber banding, but it's true that the front of the pack gets a boost early on (you're meant to play catch-up throughout the race). It doesn't have anything to do with your position though, they have a consistent programmed behavior.
>>
>>2779403
He responded to the SJWs.
>>
File: 564w6657.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
564w6657.webm
2MB, 640x480px
I fucking love the games, but the AI...

Granted, if I was a bit further away, Mr. Freeze would have landed a few more freeze attacks and I would have been done.

They get you when you least expect it.
>>
>>2779503
>Getting caught by Mr. Slam

Yeah, that's what happens when you get caught by the worst special in the game (Aside from maybe Hammerhead)
>>
>>2779038
head on was the tm3 we all wanted. and yes the ps2 port is amazing
>>
>>2779524
>Yeah, that's what happens when you get caught by the worst special in the game
Oh come on, Twister's special is one hell of a threat on any map with close quarters or death pits.

>>2779503
The trick is to use Shield to protect yourself from freeze attacks. It's the only way to survive on Hard.
>>
>>2779930
Are you saying Twister's special is worse than Mr. Slams? Twister is at least a maneuverable vehicle, which is very important in TM2. Mr. Slam is sluggish as can be, while having a special that requires you to get an enemy directly in front of you for a long, ssllooww animation. If the cars in the game were slower, it'd be great, but TM2 is too fast of a game. I consider Hammerhead's special better because its more consistent.

To be clear I'm not trying to argue, I'm legitimately trying to discuss this and understand your point of view.
>>
>>2779524
>>2779942
>worst
Not that you anon, but wait, you meant "worst" as in "not very effective?" I thought you meant worst as in brutally damaging, because Mr. Slam's special is devastating, especially because it leaves enemies helpless (you can shoot them with other weapons while they're being slammed) and sets them up for easy combos right afterward, as shown in that webm.

Plus it's satisfying as hell. Mr. Slam rules.
>>
>>2780005
Well, keep in mind that I don't think any special in TM2 is 'bad', really. I just consider it the worst special overall. Against people and comps, I'd sooner be playing just about any other character. Mr. Slam is fun to play, but he's definitely the weakest character, IMO, and it comes from his speed and special. Its a ton of damage and is very satisfying to land, but every other special in the game is more consistent, and generally on a much faster vehicle.
>>
>>2779409
I don't consider myself to be a really good Wipeout player, because I get destroyed online, but I platinumed Wipeout HD Fury twice. In terms of AI and difficulty, it's a steep uphill climb but you just have to going at it.

>>2779427
He's not talking about rubberbanding, but Wipeout AI move on a rail and if you collide with them, you are the one who gets bumped away and lose speed. It's basically like Ridge Racer, you play catch up and you take the full penalty if you ever collide.
>>
>>2780524
Oh, yeah, that's definitely true. Although sometimes they ram you forward and boost you back up to speed if you just crashed in front of them, lol.
>>
>>2779015
why people dislike TM 3 and 4 again? maybe it's nostalgia in my case, but I remember TM 3 being the best while TM 1 was barely playable
>>
File: Vigilante_8.jpg (25KB, 250x248px) Image search: [Google]
Vigilante_8.jpg
25KB, 250x248px
vigilante 8 was better
>>
>>2781743
I think the formula had gotten stale at that point, which warranted lower review ratings. Small brawl was my favorite.
>>
File: ingame.jpg (131KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
ingame.jpg
131KB, 1024x819px
So has anyone else ever played Redline?

Its a PC shooter with a mix of on foot and in vehicle segments, notable (to me) because you can just get in and out of the vehicles without any big deal. Might not sound like much now but it was mindblowing to me at the time.

It is sort of like the first 2 Mad Max films except with mutants, giant plasma reactors, lepers and laser weapons all day.

I think it must be obscure because I never saw it in stores and only found a torrent for it once with one seeder. It wound up being worth the hype tho. It has all the ingredients for being a hype ass game but it seems like nobody else played it?
>>
File: sabertoof.jpg (20KB, 541x253px) Image search: [Google]
sabertoof.jpg
20KB, 541x253px
Also it stuck with me because the vehicles were all fairly different. Different handling, different weapons, etc.

All the cars had 4 weapon slots (front, back, left, right) that could fire independently from one another. One of the motorcycles had giant shotguns on either side and you could spin out in a group of infantry firing them for good effect.
>>
File: razorbaek.jpg (18KB, 541x253px) Image search: [Google]
razorbaek.jpg
18KB, 541x253px
One last pic and Ill stop spamming this thread up. Its early in the morning and I don't start acting like an adult until the sun is up.

I got this shit on a demo disk that also had System Shock 2 and another vehicle combat game that nobody had heard of called Recoil. Talk about a cruel joke, the only one of those games I ever found was SS2 and that cost me out the nose.

One of my favorite missions in the game involved racing through a minefield because you had a bomb strapped to your car. Never had a game with a mission that boiled down to "do not explode like this OR like this, gl hf"
>>
>>2781743
4 was actually pretty good, just it had the problem of the racing engine.

Making your own car wasn't a horrible idea, wish it had a lot more options though.
>>
>>2781983
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm5ejBk_RPc

if it's good enough for Rob Zombie, it's good enough for me
>>
>>2781819
i remember the negro had the low rider with the earthquake special lol
>>
>>2781743
TM 3 had shitty physics (everything feels like RC cars), boring levels, a severe lack of style in everything from the visuals to the sound effects, and the absolute worst endings. It was a huge step down from 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaFKLhJ2kaY

TM1 is very simple and straightforward in comparison to any of the other games, but it gives you a lot of freedom (the Cyburbia map is huge) and has a darker, more realistic style. I also like that the fast cars go REALLY fast.
>>
>>2782182
BASSQUAKE
BASSQUAKE
BASSQUAKE
>>
File: Redline_Racer_Coverart.png (129KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Redline_Racer_Coverart.png
129KB, 256x256px
>>2781843
I tried look for a PC demo of this game, and it installed the one in your post. I was a kid back then, so being thrown into that world scared the shit out of me.
>>
File: 093.jpg (70KB, 453x468px) Image search: [Google]
093.jpg
70KB, 453x468px
>Grasshopper's ending
>>
>>2779015
Didn't the developers of TMB die in a plane crash?
>>
>>2780019
I don't think it's the worst special. It probably does more damage than any other special so it's understandable that it's not the easiest to execute. If you can hit em with a freeze ray at the right time they are fucked. I'd say the worst special is Grasshopper. Fucking impossible to land on people just right.
>>
>>2779497
Oh well, that's an exemplary answer and by no means does it raise further questions. No no, thanks so much for that illustrative anecdote.
>>
>>2782437
Then David Jaffe asked Calypso for a wish where he gets to survive the crash.
>>
>>2782316
>>2782182
lol

good game tho

I liked the ufo special ship
>>
>>2781843
>PC shooter with a mix of on foot and in vehicle segments
Like a terrestrial Mace Griffin?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.