[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what would your perfect video game cabinet? I've been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: Pmc's_arcade_cabinet_project.jpg (16KB, 253x480px) Image search: [Google]
Pmc's_arcade_cabinet_project.jpg
16KB, 253x480px
So what would your perfect video game cabinet?

I've been wanting to make a kind of arcade cabinet, but like to do more than just a single MAME cabinet, have some other emulators on, maybe be able to play on its own screen, or hook up to another TV and use controllers to play a game if something like that would be possible. Also need to support four players for games like Gauntlet, but still be able to shove enough buttons on the thing to play most games.

Could probably build a machine just to be an emulator cabinet, have every system emulator on a computer powerful enough to handle it, would be a fun thing to have.
>>
Your first homebrew cab should be one with a rotating tri-sync CRT, good sound, six-button digital controllers (and some USB ports for 3-4-6 player games on demand) and a full collection of all the classic console games and appropriate arcade games (i.e. most pre-2000 ones). Might as well configure some nice heavy light guns too and maybe a trac-ball.

Your second homemade cab IMHO should be a vs cab with two monitors and linked systems. Controls should actually be easily changeable and fit at the very least your choice of large analog twinsticks (probably the original Playstation double analog controller), steering wheels and the Steel Battalion controller plus obviously pedals. They should be sit-down cabs with sporty car seats.
>>
>>2776281
Do any games need more than one trackball?
Also what about a turn-dial for those Atari games that used them?

How well does an emulator cabinet actually recreate the feel of an arcade game?

I think being able to hook it up to a tv and give out controllers would be nice, be able to play an old mario party game from the couch or something.

I was wanting to have a real nice cabinet to sit in the corner of the lounge that could play a lot of shit and serve as a nice entertainment system so I wouldn't have to have an assload of consoles and cartridges sitting in the room.
>>
>>2776315
If you have a strong computer with an ATI card outputting arcade-accurate resolutions/sync rates to an arcade-accurate display the effect is very good, especially in a cabinet. Playing console games is also pretty satisfying on a cabinet, while playing arcade games sitting on the couch is somewhat less so. Just build a media center PC for the couch gaming, especially if you're only planning to use an HDTV there. Invest in some adapters to use the original controllers and you'll probably be pretty happy with that experience.

The MAME cabinet needs to be more authentic though.. There are all kinds of specialty arcade controllers but if you try to build all of them into your cabinet, you'll end up fucking up the authentic feel of it. That's why I say maybe put one track ball on there. If and when you want to play the few games that used controllers that can't be simulated to a satisfying extent with your built in controllers, use the USB ports if you want to use specialty controls on them.
>>
File: mame.jpg (30KB, 360x480px) Image search: [Google]
mame.jpg
30KB, 360x480px
Was making one 5+ years ago. In middle of construction I noticed that size is too big to fit the doorways, had to dissassemble
>>
File: gauntlet-cabinet.png (762KB, 655x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gauntlet-cabinet.png
762KB, 655x1000px
>>2776347
How hard would it be to build a cabinet that lets you swap out the control panels?

It would be great to be able to play games like Gauntlet and Rampage that need more control options, or be able to have a steering wheel and such for other games. Make specialty control panels for games that would really need them and be able to pull them out and swap em in a plug and play type deal?
>>
>>2776358
>his apartment isn't accessible by spiral staircase only and everything needs to be hoisted in through the open window
>>
>>2776359
>How hard would it be to build a cabinet that lets you swap out the control panels?
Its both very easy, and very difficult.

If I was the OP, I'd build one cabinet per control scheme, and give each a theme based on a certain game. However, I have an entire room for vidya and therefore have more than enough space for that kind of project. If you can only have one cab, and need/want to swap controls it is possible to do.
>have multiple control "tops", each with a different layout
>wire each boards controls into a wire harness, like a car stereo or older computer parts use
>simply remove the current control board, and plug in the new one.
However honestly its still a lot easier (and cooler looking) to just simply have multiple cabinets. And the cost of having multiple cabinets is only marginally more than multiple control surfaces.
>>
>>2776246
Enjoy your "wanting". You're not the first kid to start this thread and do nothing.

>>2776441
No. Having multiple panels is just easy. You'd know if your mom let you have even one in your room.
>>
>>2776536
>Enjoy your "wanting". You're not the first kid to start this thread and do nothing.
>no fun allowed

It's not something I'll be doing for a while, still have house construction to worry about so I'd actually have somewhere to put the cabinet, but it's something I'd like to have and fully intend on building when I have the time. I like to get my initial research done so I can plan accordingly.

What types of panels should it have available?
>>
>>2776847
Ones that suit the games you want to play.

Please, if you learn one thing and one thing only on /vr/ let it be for the GAMES to be what dictate how you play. Read some vintage game mags or if you must, watch some videos and get yourself excited about a game or games then create the best possible experience (for you) of playing them.
>>
>>2776912
What would be the best set up for a "default" control panel? Something the play the most amount of games well. I'm setting it up so the controls will be modular, so I can always make bee ones later.
>>
I love my mame cabinet... It's a bitch to set up with all the emulators but its totally worth it. Get a light gun too. I hear you can get Wii controllers to work as one these days.
>>
File: tankstick-2kep[1].jpg (32KB, 479x217px) Image search: [Google]
tankstick-2kep[1].jpg
32KB, 479x217px
>>2776957
Like I said before, a six-button Capcom fighter layout, possibly plus a trackball. If you have more money than time the X-Arcade tankstick is pretty much a "standard" though I really dunno what buttons 7 & 8 are for.
>>
>>2776315
SegaSonic Arcade
>>
>>2776972
So that would handle most games then? Would it work well for emulating older console games too?

Thinking my first set up other than regular 6 button thing will be the controls for Hydro Thunder. You can run that on MAME right?
>>
>>2776972
Grid button layout and bat == fuck no
>>
>>2776972
Ew, bat.
>>
>>2776982
>>2776986
What?
>>
File: 307000685[1].jpg (28KB, 400x238px) Image search: [Google]
307000685[1].jpg
28KB, 400x238px
>>2776982
Grid is fine. Bat can easily be swapped for ball.

>>2776989
"American" type arcade joysticks have tapered "baseball bat-shaped" handles while Japanese ones have a spherical ball. Also some people prefer an arched "ergonomic" button layout.

The arcade stick I personally mainly use has a bat and ergonomic buttons, but my SF2:TWW cabinet has grid patterned buttons. It really makes little difference.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.