[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Failed Physical Collectors Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: GoodWhileItLasted.jpg (4MB, 4020x4608px) Image search: [Google]
GoodWhileItLasted.jpg
4MB, 4020x4608px
Hey /vr/, what do you do or what did you do when you realized becoming an awesome retro game collector just wasn't feasible?

Lets say your heart really does still lie with retro games after all these years, and then reality sets in and then doubts and worry sets in regarding collecting.

>Money
>Space
>Time
>Worries about rarity
>No one to play with
>Ease of emulation
>It'll all be dust some day

etc etc. Whether you stop altogether or just decide to move onto emulation, what were the reasons why? Where does one stepping into digital collections begin? How do you assuage that "It's just not quite the same" feeling?

As for me I'm just getting into collecting digitally any way I can, but I'm new to the most effective emulators and setups. I'm not sure if I should just keep my stuff in boxes or if I should give it to an actually superior, successful collector. I'm not really interested in selling anything. Pic related, it's an offhand photo of my humble yet very incomplete collection, just some shots of SNES/N64 games amassed by high school, some notable favorites absent.
>>
>>2774968
More like "Bait: The thread"
>>
This is dumb. You should set out to buy the games you'd like to play, emulate the ones out of you price range, and that's it.
>>
I'm a stickler for playing the games as originally released. I've got a lot of albums on vinyl as well.
>>
emulating with a proper controller on a CRT TV feels pretty much the same to me.

That said, I like to play on the actual console too, and in some cases, original hard is the only way to go, like N64.

There's everdrives too.

Owning the original games CIB is very nice, but if it's stupid expensive I just go to emulation or in the case of CD-based consoles, playing backups.

Everdrives also exist although I don't own any.

Also that's a nice collection OP.
>>
>>2774968
If you don't have most of the good games now for the consoles you want then I wouldn't even bother trying to start collecting at this point. People are bandwagonning left and right and pushing up prices.

Go ahead and sell your games if you want, just don't go crying back when you feel like you've made a mistake.
>>
This is a silly thread. Follow >>2774975 advice and be done with it.
>>
OP here

>>2774975
That's what I'd settled on a little while out of high school. I think not being a NEET would help me out a bit more, most of what I want is getting kinda rare and I can't throw that cash around right now.

>>2774985
Right I'm a bit worried about the few hiccups I do hear about emulation. I'm fine with doing it off a PC but I've also thought about everdrives and stuff, but all I ever hear is people arguing about it and incompatibility, things like that. I might think about it after some more research
>Also that's a nice collection OP.
Thanks, I'd post a better and more complete collection with all my retro systems/games but it's all packed away right now.
>>
>>2775003

>Right I'm a bit worried about the few hiccups I do hear about emulation.

SNES Emulation: Perfect.

NES Emulation" Perfect.

GB(C) Emulation: Perfect.

SMS Emulation: Perfect.

Sega MD/CD Emulation: Perfect.

Sega GG Emulation: Perfect.

GBA Emulation: 99%

PSX Emulation: 95%

Now...What were you wanting to play again?
>>
>>2775017
You forgot N64 and GameCube
I wish PSX emulators were better
>>
>>2775026

No good option for GCN or N64 currently exists. And mednafen has you completely covered on PSX emulation except, like, 4 or 5 known games. Ever.
>>
>>2775026
And Saturn.
>>
i only books, never movies and games because they will no longer work one day so why bother.

if they were made to last i'd buy them.
>>
>>2775048

The Saturn actually has a decent emulator. It's made by a Japanese dude. Some kind Ameribro translated the interface.

Not sure at all exactly _how_ accurate it is, but I hear it's not "Project64" levels of instability, at least.
>>
Can anyone help me . when I was a kid me and a friend got taken to a pool hall on the weekends and there was an arcade machine that we use to play. All I can remember from it was that you went around fucking people up, this one part you walk into a bathroom an there's a guy taking a piss, I went and hit him up and remember laughing my arse off. Any idea what game it was?
>>
>>2775115
You heard wrong. Saturn emulation is painful. It works great for some games, but is beyond n64 bad with others you want to pay.
>>
I sold off all the games I dont want years ago, for the rest I use Everdrives or flash carts
>>
>>2774968
>taking photos of your things laying on your bed
every time maximum keks
>>
For me it was partly due to a lack of time, but mostly because I keep moving to different cities/countries, so having to carry more than the bare necessities around is just too much trouble for a meagre reward.

I'll always keep my old consoles and games at my parents' house though, it truly feels like home that way whenever I visit them.
>>
>>2774968

You should also consider doing something else. There are many very fun things in life and if you don't like this one don't keep doing it just because you used to do it.
>>
>>2774968
>no earthbound
>no wild guns
do you even collect?
>>
Collecting things like comics or action figures seems more pointless to me. At least video games have some level of interactivity where you can actually use them and play a damn game.
>>
>>2775216
The bed is the best place to photograph this kind of stuff. Won't scratch the items, large typically neutral backdrop so you focus on the items, (typically) clean, and no chance of them getting stepped on.
>>
>>2775316
>not being an adult with a table or desk
okay bedsheet buddy
>>
>>2774968
needed a car and I actually played through most of my collection so I sold everything.
best decision ever.
>>
>>2774968
>How do you assuage that "It's just not quite the same" feeling?

In my opinion it's actually better now, so it not being the same feeling is a good thing. I ditched collecting and physical hardware when emulators finally got good enough and I never looked back.

There are a handful of carts I held onto because they were gifts or something. But in general I have too much clutter as it is, I don't want a dozen game systems and boxes of carts taking up even more space when I can have all of it and more on my computer ready to play at a moment's notice.
>>
>>2775037
How is dolphin not a good option
>>
You spend more time collecting this shit and hutting it down rather than enjoying it. Because it is more fun in the chace and once you get it, it goes on a shelf.
>>
>>2775397
If you like looking for games more than playing them, you might want to rethink your hobbies.
>>
>>2775404
I was speaking from what I see. A wall of 100's of games and they never play them. When it gets to that point we are talking about fetishes rather than objects that you want to have.
>>
>>2775408
I see what you mean. But a collector of anything pretty well is a fetishist of whatever it is by definition. It's all just degrees.

And not that people shouldn't collect stuff is they want to. But there do seem to be game collectors who are more into that aspect than the games themselves which seems odd to me. But then I'm not a collector of anything.
>>
>>2774968
>Hey /vr/, what do you do or what did you do when you realized becoming an awesome retro game collector just wasn't feasible?

I'm not a hipster so wouldn't know.
>>
>>2774968
I bought all the games I played as a kid for Snes and Genesis and realized it was stupid to buy games I didn't really care about, so I got flashcarts for both and sold the games I didn't care about.

I was thinking about getting an everdrive for the N64 but the amount of games that I want that and don't own doesn't even warrant purchasing it.

I Still buy shit for Neogeo and Jap Saturn.
>>
>>2774968
>Failed

How the fuck do you fail at collecting? Collect what you want. there is no "goal" in collection. Nobody in their right mind wants to own EVERY SINGLE GAME of any given library, theres piles and piles of shovelware that isnt even worth owning or acknowledging.

Just collect and buy games you actually like and play.

Or if you're so much of a poorfag where money is an issue, emulate.

it's not hard.
>>
>>2775216 implying people don't do this all the time with naked girls
>>
>>2775404
>>2775397
>>2775408
>>2775413
Hes saying its more about the journey than the destination, which is kinda true.
>>
>>2775714
I do both.

I buy games I really, really enjoy, like big name titles, Super star, Link to the past, Super metroid, Firemen, Illusion of gaia, etc. But only up to about 25 top games for each system. So I don't overstack on space.

So for example, I have 23 SNES games, and an Everdive. I have room for 2 more games, and anything I still like, but don't necessarily want in physical, goes on the Everdrive.

I also have backups on the Everdrive in case something ever comes up. ie: Natural disaster, Robbery, Have to sell for emrgency or some shit.
>>
>>2775216
My baby blue comforter is the ultimate backdrop, I see no problem here.
>>2775273
Earthbound along with a few others were either lent out or still in a box in my garage. Wish I could have posted my disc collection but I'd need a bigger bed.
>>2775353
I'd love to feel that way, but I still identify with the idea that original hardware just 'feels' the best. I'd love to throw that feeling away and just give myself to all the resources emulation offers.
>>2775724
>How the fuck do you fail at collecting?
Even if the goal isn't to own every single game in existence, the idea behind failing this is working towards some sort of comprehensive collection. Through high school and some time after I did my share of garage sale, flea market and ebay scouring but along the way, rather than wanting to stop myself I felt like I couldn't support it anymore. It feels like a failure to have a collection I'm proud of, and while emulating's the next best option it's something anyone could do.

I am leaning towards the idea of getting games you care about and maybe shaving off the rest some day.
>>
>>2775748
>I am leaning towards the idea of getting games you care about and maybe shaving off the rest some day.

I would. You'll be much happier for it.

Its like you said, Collecting for the sake of collecting is worthless now. Everything can be emulated, a person wanting to get into a series like Silent hill has two options nowadays.

Emulate it:

Or watch it on Youtube.

these two options are far easier and appealing then paying $45 for an original copy of the game. Most of the modern public just want the knowledge of the game, not the experience of playing it. Only someone who really enjoys the game and would make use of it, would be willing to pay that much.

So just keep ones you hold near and dear.
>>
>>2775760
You forgot one.
>burn a cd-r

Just do what I do OP, focus on having the ability to play games now through flash carts and softmods, and pick up games for cheap when you come across them.
>>
>>2775793
>>2775760

Maybe I'm just more tolerant than most here, but I actually don't mind paying high prices on vidya so long as it doesnt exceed $60

As far as I'm concerned, its what I'd be doing buying PS4/Wii U games anyways. And With these I already know i'll enjoy them, so i'm not gambling the way I would if I bought a new Ps4 game and didnt like it.

I'd rather pay for a good $60 experience then a mediocre one.
>>
start buying your ps2 games now , anons
>>
>>2775760
>>2775793

I didn't know it was this common to just own what you care about the most and disregard the rest, for a long time I had a hard time distinguishing what games I felt that way about.

So on the subject of emulating, like I said before doing it off a PC is fine (I wanted to settle into the idea of a capable laptop being my mobile emulation palace) but since coming to /vr/ I got more interested in CRTs and flash carts. But again, people seem to disagree about a lot of it and I can't make up my mind.

If there were a consistent way to emulate on the original hardware I'd probably invest in that stuff and feel more comfortable about freeing up some space taken up by games I guess.
>>
>>2774968

You are going to grow out of it.

I realized this.

I gave out most of my games.

I occasionally listen to the OST's to relive the nostalgia.
>>
I decided to collect OG Xbox games instead with a few SNES and MD classics I wanted.
Much, much cheaper option. I mean if I want to collect, go with something that's manageable. Like Neo Geo Pocket Color games.
>>
>>2774968
>How do you assuage that "It's just not quite the same" feeling?

I check my wallet
>>
I grew out of it when I became a cop, got back into it after early retirement from the force and moved into a larger house with a couple of spare rooms instead of my shitty apartment in oakland. Right now everything is put in a case and boxed, but once I pay off this credit card I'm buying a ton of shelved from ikea and setting up my manchild cave.

My recommendation is don't get burned out collecting worthless shit and don't let it become a sloppy mess like the AVGN room. Get some nice furniture, glass cases and dust once a week.
>>
>>2775808

Youtube:
Cost: $0
>Watch other people play the game, learn everything about it. Downside: Don't get to play it yourself.

Emulation
Cost: 0$, Your morality
>Completely free, easy to setup, Technically illegal and involves piracy

Flashcart
Cost: $80-$200
>Allows you to play ROMS on your own console. Expensive, but worth it in the grand scheme to collecting

Reproduction:
Cost: $20-$75
>Chinese knockoffs that work better then used product. are generally cheaper to undercut the market, but not original.

Authentic:
Cost: $1 - $1000
>Depending on the game, or collection, adds up. Go for reseller value prices and are much higher then original.

Sealed
Cost $100+
>Get old authentic games in brand new condition sealed in wrap. Can't play them. But they sure look rad on your shelf!
>>
File: Mike_Tyson.png (911B, 176x150px) Image search: [Google]
Mike_Tyson.png
911B, 176x150px
>>2775842
I think this is the key.

The reason people get burnt out is because they fall into the traps:

>Quantity over Quality
"Mass" as I call it is one of the worst things. It leads to hoarder mentality (look at Pat the NES punks videos on his collection, its a fucking complete mess outside of his NES collection which he covets). You also end up spending money on games you realistically have no interest in playing, and will probably never play.

>Lack of focus (trying to get everything for every console instead of just getting the games you really want for maybe like ~6-10 consoles

>Disorganization
Having your carts strewn all over the place, not being organized, so you can find things you want is probably the greatest fail. I see these big youtubers (like Gamesack) just throwing carts in dresser drawers which makes them feel forgotten. Have some nice, low profile shelving that adequately fits your games and make sure you have room to reasonably expand. You don't want to absolutely fill your shelves off the bat because its likely you'll be buying more games in the future.

>Lack of maintenance/Caring for what you get
It seems a lot of people just get a game, and shelf it. You will give a lot more of a shit if you actually open it up, learn how to change save batteries, clean the carts up, and make them look clean and make sure they work every time. This is mostly just a taking pride in your stuff thing.

>Obsession
This is what I call "trophy hunting" you don't care about the game. You care about finding the Super Metroid for 5 bucks. You care about the big scores. They aren't even games to you, they just sit in wherever the fuck you store them and they're stories. Of your victories at the fleamarket. Its also one of the things that pushes people to go for "complete sets" which when probably 75% of the library is garbage, a complete set is just stupid to shoot for
>>
>>2775884

If you're worried about money, or space or whatever just stop and take a step back. Clean up. Cleaning your place so its free from clutter is so fucking critical. Cleaning can be therapeutic and help put things into perspective. I can assure you just having a nice, clean space is going to do wonders for making you actually want to play video games.

If you really want to downsize: Go to your collection, and grab your 5 to 10 favorites from every system you want to keep and put them aside. Go from there. If you're on the fence about a game: Keep it. It will definitely be cheaper in the long run to hang onto something then it is to sell and rebuy it. Only get rid of things you really have no desire or interest in ever playing again.

If you're having money troubles or whatever, just stop -buying- games. Take an extra shift at work instead of going to the fleamarket on the weekends. If you work an extra day every week for a year you're going to be able to buy a copy of Earthbound -easily- instead of just hoping one pops up for cheap on CL or at the fleamarket. I think people lose sight of that and get a bit depressed like they'll never be able to afford expensive games they want.

I didn't just go and buy my 200 dollar copy of Misadventures of Tron Bonne. I stopped buying Soda from the vending machines at work every day. $1 a day saved. I put my $1 in a jar with a piece of paper taped to it and kept a tally of how much was in there and when there was 200 bucks I put it into my bank and bought a copy on eBay. Lost about 25lbs in the process.

I think most people just get out because they lost the passion for playing. The collection is always just an extension of what you want to play. If you don't actively play games, then you have no reason to collect, which is why it dies.
>>
>>2775801
word, im stocking up on ps2 and old xbox oldies, before that generation of kids become nostalgia faggots like us. It's weird how gamecube's catalog got expensive faster than the other two.

It'll be weird but in a few years those COD kids will be nostalgia fagging on Ps3 and 360 games.
>>
>>2775892
Good luck. PS2 is already well on the rise. Especially with popular titles like Silent Hill. Rule of Rose doubled in price (I paid 90 last year) and now its sitting around 220.

Things are getting out of control. Obviously PS2 is kind of stabilized due to the HD re-releases and the library being so fucking huge that a lot of games just get swept under the radar (like Onimusha)

I think honestly. You may as well just collect for anything because everything is going to have cheap titles, mid range titles, and expensive titles. I would say that -generally- that generation the Xbox has the cheapest multiplats, then PS2, then GC because of Nintendo fanboys.
>>
>>2775724
>triggered
>>
File: what.png (10KB, 158x174px) Image search: [Google]
what.png
10KB, 158x174px
>>2774968
My goal has only ever been to collect games I had and lost, and games I played and wanted as a kid. I've also kept an eye out for games I'd never gotten to play and always wanted, but I generally emulate first to see if it's something I'd want to own for real.
>>
>>2775926

call me a faggot but to me the only valuable pieces in my collection are the games I owned as a kid. Not games I used to have, lost, then bought again, but the actual games I owned as a kid and I still have. Granted I owned legit good games, and those are the ones I like the most, but even 7/10 games that are from my childhood have a greater value than any L@@K!RARE game I might get my hands on.
Same with the consoles.
>>
File: Collection.jpg (569KB, 515x3372px) Image search: [Google]
Collection.jpg
569KB, 515x3372px
>>2775884
>Disorganization
Having your carts strewn all over the place, not being organized, so you can find things you want is probably the greatest fail. I see these big youtubers (like Gamesack) just throwing carts in dresser drawers which makes them feel forgotten. Have some nice, low profile shelving that adequately fits your games and make sure you have room to reasonably expand. You don't want to absolutely fill your shelves off the bat because its likely you'll be buying more games in the future.

So much this.

I don't have too much in terms of Retro myself, but the little I do, I make sure to keep nice and tidy, on a set shelf specifically just for it.
>>
>>2775934
Oh I agree, if I'd lost and replaced my childhood copy of Ocarina or Shadows of the Empire, they wouldn't be nearly as valuable to me as they are.
On the other hand, I recently added Vigilante 8 to my collection and after years of absence, returning to those old maps was pretty great. Same with Rogue Squadron, but like you said those new copies aren't worth as much to me as having the originals would've been.
>>
File: 320x240.jpg (27KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
320x240.jpg
27KB, 320x240px
>>2775897
>tfw I got everything I ever wanted to play for the ps2 years ago except for Haunting Ground and the .hack//GU series
>>
>>2775994
>tfw the .hack series is ludicrously expensive
I'm sorry friend.
>>
>>2775801
I'm good. I got nearly everything I wanted in buy 2 get 1 free sales at Gamestop two years ago.

Ratchet and clank 1-3, Deadlocked, Size matters
Sly cooper 1-3
Jak and Daxter 1-3
Katamari Damacy
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
Ace combat 0 4 5
Hitman 2,3,4
MGS 2,3
Ico Shadow of the Colossus
God of war 1, 2
Kingdom hearts 1, 2
Viewtiful joe 1-2
Psychonauts
Oogies revenge
Steambot Chronicles
Dark Cloud,1-2
Okage
Rogue Galaxy
Star Ocean 3
Ar Tonelico 1 2
Tales of the Abyss
Tales of Legendia
Tales of Destiny R (J)
Tales or Rebirth (J)
Persona 3, 4
Dragon quest 8
Final Fantasy XII
DMC 1-3
Silent hill 2- origins

I'm pretty much good minus a few obscure things.
>>
>>2775017
This guy gets it.
NES - Nestopia
SNES - BSNES balanced
GB/C - Gambatte
GBA - mGBA
PSX - mednafen
GameCube/PS2/Wii are still best on actual hardware, which isn't too painful to get on an LCD since they support component cables and some 16:9 and progressive scan. Personally I use Retroarch but some can't stand it for whatever reason, so the standalones are also fine. Don't have any data on Sega systems as I don't play them.
>>
>>2776005
Oh and I should add N64 is best on VC in my experience. I don't play more than a handful of the biggest games for it though.
>>
>>2775017
>SNES Emulation: Perfect.

Incorrect. A bunch of FX chip games like Star ocean and Super star have stutter issues and loading lag.
>>
>>2776005
And I should also also add that it's quite easy to play backups on the three systems I mentioned with no hardware modification. I need to think my posts out more before I hit post.
>>
>>2776008
>SuperFX Stutter issues
SNES9x-Next and BSNES have both long since fixed that friend, where have you been?
>>
>>2775998
At least I have the complete first series. Bought those as they came out but was in college during the //GU years and never picked them up.
>>
>>2774968
>what do you do or what did you do when you realized becoming an awesome retro game collector just wasn't feasible?
I posted a blog on 4chan even though I'm underage
>>
I learned Japanese in the 90s and don't need expensive English versions.
>>
>>2776005
>NES - Nestopia
Nestopia UE is better.

>SNES - BSNES balanced
Why don't you use bsnes accuracy?

>PSX - mednafen
PCSX-R is better for 3D games if you want higher resolutions.
>>
why use nestopia and not fceux?
>>
File: concerned mammy.png (143KB, 328x376px) Image search: [Google]
concerned mammy.png
143KB, 328x376px
>those carts with torn labels
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.