[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have two different, yet similar plans to force the price of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 2

File: earthbound.jpg (31KB, 800x621px) Image search: [Google]
earthbound.jpg
31KB, 800x621px
I have two different, yet similar plans to force the price of the rarest game in the world down to a price that would actually make sense to pay. The rarest game ever, of course, being Earthbound, according to the half-dozen listings on ebay at any given time. In any case, if these plans would work, would it be ethical? Just to lower to price, I mean, and make that decision for everyone.
>>
Of course it's ethical. Do you need a vote of confidence from 4channers?
>>
>>2773550
It's not as rare as a lot of other games, but go ahead. It won't matter anyway. The only thing that would lower the price (although it might just drive it higher) is a physical collection release.
>>
>>2773556
It's a couple things. I'd also like to know if there were any angles I hadn't thought about that other people might notice with fresh eyes.
>>
>>2773550
Why would you bother? Anyone who wants to play the game can do so for free on practically anything.

On the other side, people who actually collect wouldn't want their items to depreciate in price.
>>
what are these plans?
>>
>>2773558
I was just being sarcastic about the rarity. But my plan doesn't involve reproduction carts or a new official run. It does involve a certain amount of trust, however, since it's based on crowd funding. The idea was to use crowd funding via patreon or something semi-constant, and have a lot of people pay small amounts in order to give sellers their price minus sixty dollars to lower their listing's price to $60, therefor lowering the average price the game is shown to go for on ebay.
>>2773567
My other idea was to use the money to buy the expensive copies (maybe elsewhere) and sell them on ebay for $60 each.
>>
>>2773574
You can't out jew the jews selling this shit and the kind of people that buy it don't care because they are insane.
>>
>>2773578
What do you mean by "out" them?
>>
>>2773578
I am not insane, just idepentently wealthy
>>
>>2773591
I hope youre wealthy enough. At first every copy you put up for $60 is gonna sell instantly and the price wont change, so you may end up having to buy more copies that you'd think at first.

Alternatively, you could buy every copy you see and not resell them until you drain the market of most copies

Regardless it's gods work, and you probably already knew this. Godspeed
>>
>>2773550

yes it would.

release the kraken!!
>>
>>2773595
That's a different guy, but thanks for giving me inspiration.
>>
>>2773595
That just creates artificial scarcity and raises the price even further because you have a limited run of them. The people buying are bid snipers who get it the first minute it hits ebay and that just leaves you buying it at twice the price again.
>>
RELEASE THE KRAKEN
>>
>>2773608
Oh, see, now this is an angel I didn't consider. Is there any way around it? Maybe if I accumulate enough, I can sell so many that people will have no reason to sell them for so much.
>>
>>2773574
So your plan to reduce the cost of Earthbound carts is to crowd fund subsidies for re-sellers so they can appear to be selling at a lower price while still making a large profit? Did I really read that correctly?

And again, why are you trying to artificially lower the price of collector's items. Half the reason Earthbound is as expensive as it is, is because it's a collector's item. Rarity is part of the reason it's collected at all.

It would be different if that was the only way available to play it, but it's not. Why not just let the collector's market be what it is?
>>
>>2773613
I flipped guitars for awhile before the market crashed on them. You have to make the bottom fall out on the market. Look at comic books or guitars or trading cards to get a feel for what causes this or even just what causes it for a single item. Normally it's a product of sellers creating artificial scarcity making it unsellable. Other ways are reissuing.
>>
Create a media scandal claiming that the developers were on steroids when they made the game. That sure helped devalue most rookie baseball cards. :P
>>
>>2773619
Yeah, reading that first plan back, I'm not too happy with it. I think I'd be going with the option of accumulating copies at the lowest prices possible, then selling them for an even lower price. It's crowdfunding, so nobody's losing any money they don't want to spend and they get to vote with their wallets. Collectibles are fine, but Id say this is getting ridiculous. The price just keeps rising for no reason. It was "worth" about $60 less than ten years ago based on averages. I'd personally just be happy with a definitive reproduction, but I want to play the game on my super nintendo without any emulators. I'm just like that, and I'm sure tons of other people are as well.
Keep with the criticism, though. I want to make sure I'm considering everything.
>>
The only real way to reduce the price of earthbound cartridges is to achieve full communism where nothing will even have a price.
>>
flooding the market with very cheap repros could have the desired effect.
>>
>>2773667

and by cheap i mean literally close to actual cost to make them... invest in making 500 repro carts with identical labels, and sell them for a steady 10-15 bucks each on ebay. the demand will dry up quickly and most casual gamers will be perfectly fine with the repro if it looks/functions the same. the end.
>>
>>2773629
>It was "worth" about $60 less than ten years ago based on averages.

Well it retailed originally for $60. That equates to over $90 taking inflation into account. The price it was going for in 2005 was still when 16 bit games were still at a low point.

Naturally now that the items are both older and the market has grown, the price of the items is bound to rise again. But again I don't see why this is a problem for anyone. People who are into collecting know what they're getting into, and games of that era at this point really are antique electronics. Of course collecting them isn't going to come cheap.

But it's okay, because though it may not be optimal, all these games are available for anyone to play for free if experiencing the actual game is what matters to them. Sure they might want to own the original, but I want to own an original 1981 DeLorean.

It's nice to want things.
>>
>>2773694
What about the fact that 80-90% of games of every generation, including those that are ten or more years older than Earthbound cost less than their original price before inflation? Earthbound isn't rare, so that's not an excuse.
>>
>>2773751
Most old things are just old and deflate in price over time. Certain items become "collector's items" because they're more sought out than the average and so their prices tend to inflate over time. Earthbound is one of those.
>>
>>2773764
I just can't believe that the game is this much more sought after than all these other games.
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/console/super-nintendo?sort-by=highest-price
>>
everything Earthbound did, Undertale does better
>>
>>2773775
>People actually believe this
>>
>>2773775
You are absolutely right.
>>
>>2773795
Name one thing Earthbound does better than Tumblrtale.

You can't.
>>
>>2773846
I'm not a Motherfag, but Earthbound is infinitely better than Undershit.
>>
>>2773574
First plan is stupid. Price fixing hasn't worked ever in history unless one has had the power to force people to sell things at a loss, and even then it is imperfect and will lead to black markets.

Second plan is just outright retarded and will never work.

Just accept the fact that old rare shit is expensive and forever will be.
>>
>>2773550
You can thank douchebags like this for driving the price of the game up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CIsiKZeIRE
>>
>>2773863
Okay, but can you give me more than "it's a retarded plan; it won't work"?
>>
>>2773774
It was kind of legendary in it's day and I think had a small print run. Of the generally regarded as being good SNES RPGs it's probably the one I've seen in stores the least.

I believe it didn't have a large print run and though it was reviewed well, it kind of flew under the radar because it looked dated and a little bit kiddy. That ended up making it develop something of a cult following. Combine those things together and you get the current situation Earthbound is in.
>>
>>2773882
It had a decent print run, just poor sales. There are no less copies of it than any other game and often many more than games that are actually rare that go for less.
>>
>>2773846
The graphics
The art
The story
The characters
The enemies
The "comfiness"
The language
The everything except combat mechanics
>>
>>2774001
>Better characters than Undertale
Earthbound was good at many things, but having every main character be a mute was a terrible idea.

Everything else is right though.
>>
>>2774001

it's not really fair to compare the two. undertale was obviously inspired by earthbound - it derived from the mother series and went in its own direction. also, earthbound was professionally made while undertale is indie.
>>
Just make cheap repro flashcarts and sell them for cheap.
>>
>>2773775
I want UT false-flaggers from /v/ to leave.
>>
>>2773550
Dont worry anon,its only a matter of time until retro stops being cool and all this stuff is worthless again. Once that happens if you still care it should be easy to find a cart to put on your shelf. Until then just play it on your wii, honestly the best thing you can do to get the prices back under control is just stop buying.
>>
>>2773904
Well poor sales on what eventually became a cult classic could explain it. The things that turn out to be pricey collector's items can be hard to predict.
>>
>>2774592
Gaming only gets bigger each year, with more gamers growing into the hobby and becoming interested in the classics that built the foundation for modern games.

Thinking there's a time when this stuff will become worthless is like waiting for the time when original Beatles albums finally become "worthless again."
>>
Good luck, the problem is there is very little reason for the price to go down because a precedent has been set. So what if 10 copies have sold for $80 when the 100 before that were selling for $200?

I really, really wish we could fix the market, but the fact of the matter is people are willing to pay the current prices, when they no longer are the prices will fall again. As far as I can see the best course of action would be educating people, until sellers start to lower their prices (once again, good luck with morons like NintendoAge)
>>
>>2773550
what fag doesn't own this game already? talk about missing le retro boat kek bur
>>
I have played most 8, 16 and 32 bit RPGs but for some reason never touched Earthbound. I think the hype has made me hesitant, but it must be worth playing.
>>
>>2775417
If you have that much experience with RPGs, you will probably be disappointed at best with Earthbound.

Even back in the day it wasn't really a big deal, no idea where this "best SNES RPG" reputation came from in the last 5 years.
>>
>>2775430
No it didn't, what are you talking about?
>>
I got mine in the box for 250. A couple months ago actually. Its honestly not a great Rpg. In fact I only have it because I basically robbed that guy of his copy. That and he was literally addicred to meth.
>>
File: 1441748701183.gif (1MB, 268x200px) Image search: [Google]
1441748701183.gif
1MB, 268x200px
>>2773550
>Earthbound
>rare

Stopped reading there. You''re not even trying.
>>
>>2774020
>Frisk
>Not mute
>>
Is AERO FIGHTERS not as rare as it used to be or something? How about METAL WARRIORS?

EARTHBOUND isn't the first title that comes to mind when I think rare SNES games.
>>
If you want physical for the sake of owning a physical cart and nothing more, buy a chinese repro.

They're fresh loaded carts, will probably work much better then age old "Used" EB carts people sell for $250. and sell for like $35 + import.

You only go after authenticity if you're a collector. If you absolutely need physical, go for a repro.

If you don't care, then Emulate. If you're a moral fag, buy it off VC, its $10
>>
>>2775553
You're retarded. The sarcasm is over-the-top and obvious.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.