[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: games you want to see translated, but probably won't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 35

ITT: games you want to see translated, but probably won't because they're not well known enough.
>>
File: FamicomBunko.jpg (44KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
FamicomBunko.jpg
44KB, 512x448px
>>
File: ihatov monogatari front.jpg (134KB, 640x1171px) Image search: [Google]
ihatov monogatari front.jpg
134KB, 640x1171px
There is a ton of stuff that I liked to get translated. Like anime games, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Hunter x Hunter, One Piece, Ushio to Tora, Zeiram/Iria, GeGeGe no Kitaro got a lot of games.
The Super Chinese World aka Super Ninja Boy series made major improvements through out the series, but we only got the first. The Great Battle series looks like great fun. Maten Densetsu: Senritsu no Ooparts looks like a great RPG in the vain of Shin Megami Tensei. Traverse: Starlight and Prairie a great RPG late in the SNES cycle. Idea no Hi and Maka Maka, weird stuff. Metal Max! Did they ever translate that stuff?

I think some of those will get translations, but Ihatov Monogatari probably never. It's just an obscure adventure game about the stories from an Japanese poet. Though there actual was a German project, but they stopped years ago.
>>
File: Metal_Slader_Glory.jpg (71KB, 318x355px) Image search: [Google]
Metal_Slader_Glory.jpg
71KB, 318x355px
>>2770721
Metal Slader Glory. I know that someone supposedly has been working on this for a long time and there is even a partially complete ROM floating around some people, but if it's not complete & released, it may as well not exist.
>>
>>2770730

it seems to say hajimai no mori, but the title is actually hajimari no mori. unless that i is a katakana ri. how confusing.
>>
This is why I'm learning Japanese instead.
>>
>>2770869
That's Hiragana. い and り are similar but the right stroke is a bit longer.
You get used to it after a while, I have the biggest problems with hand writing but luckily you rarely see that in retro games.
>>
Samurai Spirits (Shodown) RPG - Neo Geo CD. Such a great looking game..wish I knew what the hell was going on.
>>
My dream is to learn japanese so I can translate the entirety of the GCCX 24 hour specials.
>>
>>2770721
ALL the stock trading sims on NES
Famicom Top Management & Top Management II
Leading Company
ALL the NES adventure games, especially Hokkaidou Rensa Satsujin - Ohotsuku ni Kiyu, Sanma no Meitantei, Famicom Tantei Club, and Metal Slader Glory
ALL of the visual novels on SNES

>>2770847
Dude said the translation is more or less finished, he just needs to edit it and fix bugs/whatever. He also said "it'll be done when it's done", meaning it's still gonna take a long while. We'll be lucky if it's out next year.
>>
I tacked this problem from the other side - I learned Japanese. 6 years in, now I live in Japan, can recommend.

>>2771046
It's very probable that once you learn Japanese you'll prefer to use it to enjoy games etc. for yourself, rather than spend forever translating something.
>>
>>2771094
I'm surprised there are people that actually do it, particularly for day long adventures.

Learning Japanese was a good choice for me. After the initial few months of training the basics I'm now mainly learning by playing games, reading manga and watching anime with a bit of vocabulary repetition on the side.
>>
>>2770721
There is nothing I want to see translated. In fact I'd like to see a cyborg from the future travel back in time and kill the translators before they have a chance to translate. That is how much I despise weebs who won't learn Japanese.
>>
>>2771135
fighting the good fight, anon ;_;7
>>
File: 121779.jpg (19KB, 300x535px) Image search: [Google]
121779.jpg
19KB, 300x535px
This and the N64 sequel
>>
>>2771135

>weeb

wat. You say like there's only animushit waifubait games in japanese, calm your tits
>>
>>2771172

You say that as if "weeb" had a definitive meaning.
"weeb" is just buzzword for "thing/person I don't like"
>>
File: 1709566-mizz002.png (199KB, 320x319px) Image search: [Google]
1709566-mizz002.png
199KB, 320x319px
This game so badly.
>>
>>2771173
I'd argue that its use in the sentence "That is how much I despise weebs who won't learn Japanese." is as explicitly defined as possible.
>>
>>2771180

just change "weeb" with any other derogatory term of your liking: scrub, fucker, casual, pleb

same meaning
>>
>>2771135
>if you don't learn moonspeak you're a weeb

It's kind of the other way around, you weeb faggot.
>>
>>2771186
Not him, but the original meaning of "weeb" has the nuance of "being clueless about Japan", basically only having a shallow interest in Japanese media, but being obnoxious about it.

So when a person actually learns Japanese to consume Japanese media, he went above and beyond a simple weeb.

Just saying. Also you seem to be made of gelatin.
>>
>>2771215

Wrong.

Weeaboo is a word that doesn't mean anything and originated on a web comic.

moot eventually used it on 4chan as a filter for "wapanese" (which I guess is the equivalent to wigger but with japan culture instead of nigger culture).

Over time people started using "weeb" as a meaningless derogative term, often related (but not exclusive to) with Japanese or asian stuff (e.g: "You like Super Mario? what a weeb!")
>>
Rupan Sansei - Densetsu no hihō o oe!
Most of the other Lupin and Conan games
not retro but cowboy bebop: tsuioku no serenade
>>
>>2771172
No, I don't say it that way. Maybe you hear it that way? Projecting?

>>2771186
Not at all. I know plenty of non Japanese who read/speak Japanese and aren't weebs, my self included. I know a fuckton of non Japanese who know nothing more than a few bullshit words like waifu and are complete weebs. Faggots who really think they are Japanese in a white body. Except that they can't read/speak the language and all their cultural knowledge comes from watching subtitled hentai.

>>2771221
Just because a few retards misuse a word that doesn't make it meaningless. A weeb is the pathetic sack of shit I described above. Everyone here knows it, even if they want argue and pretend they don't.
>>
>>2771245
>Just because a few retards misuse a word that doesn't make it meaningless.

These "few retards" are everyone using it, you included. You have your own definiton for it, but as I said it originally was a filter on /b/ for "wapanese". And I'll remind you that, depending on who you ask, we're all "wapanese" because we're using an image board based on futaba, and now 4chan itself is owned by a japanese man.

Anyway, weeb doesn't mean "wapanese" anymore, as I said it's just a derogatory term, much like "pleb" or "casual" are.
>>
Why can't the weeb just admit he is one?
>>
File: 53985-Cyber_Doll_(J)-3.jpg (177KB, 640x448px) Image search: [Google]
53985-Cyber_Doll_(J)-3.jpg
177KB, 640x448px
Cyber Doll. I've played it numerous times in Japanese, but I'd like to play it English.
>>
>>2771247
Hello retard, "wapanese" is the thing I described here >>2771215
>>
>>2771262

Again, depending on who you ask, we're all "wapanese" simply because of using an image board based on futaba.
Your definition of "wapanese" is "someone only having a shallow interest in Japanese media, but being obnoxious about it", but that's your own definition of it, and I'll remind you that "weeb" is far from its original "wapanese" filter term from back then, nowdays "weebs" is a meaningless derogative term to insult anyone you don't agree with, you weeb.
>>
>>2771263
Okay.
>>
>>2770965

ahh, I see now.

I knew it was hiragana, so I was like, why would just one be kata? but now I get it.

since taking up japanese, I've tried to read it wherever I see it, but cursive/stylized kanji/kana can be frustrating for a gaikokujin like myself.
>>
>>2771449
You should never see Katakana at the end of a Hiragana word. There are a few words with a Katakana beginning and Hiragana okurigana. e.g. ダブる or サボる.
Telling all the kana apart takes time and practice. Later you get Kanji like 口 or 力 that make it even harder but that's unfortunately how the language is. Latin script also has it's problems like I and l that we have to deal with.
>>
File: 95zp1l.jpg (142KB, 1208x719px) Image search: [Google]
95zp1l.jpg
142KB, 1208x719px
I'd really like to see the Rushing Beat trilogy translated,
but it wont happen because all three games already have English versions.
But they're not translations, they just made shit up and changed names. (#3 is the worst offender)
>>
File: ladystalker.jpg (184KB, 640x1119px) Image search: [Google]
ladystalker.jpg
184KB, 640x1119px
Other fans of the series claim it's bad, others said they are just butthurt since it hasn't been translated yet. I really like to figure out what it's like.
>>
>>2771135
>That is how much I despise weebs who won't learn Japanese.
Good I don't wanna learn that outdated shit anyway, what good would it do? Their population is declining and their economy is tanking

I don't suck old man dick and neither should you
>>
>>2771602

I've seen what you're talking about. I figured it was all hiragana, I was just confused because the two strokes of ri didn't connect. I can usually tell stuff like chikara based on context.

overall I like kanji and kana, and I only use romaji out of convenience (and for training wheels to help with learning). I've got the kana down for the most part, but sometimes I stumble on less common ones, and stylized writing like now.
>>
>>2771668

japan has had 2 lost decades but they've been consistently stagnant. they're in better shape than a place like greece.

population is an issue but there are issues everywhere. europe is getting hit hard by the refugee crisis for example.
>>
Pretty much the rest of the Metal Max series.

>>2770873
I've considered it. I could learn enough French in a couple months to handle novels. I imagine games wouldn't be nearly as complex, so it shouldn't take too long to be able to at least play them. Is it pretty easy?
>>
File: 34567_front.jpg (89KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
34567_front.jpg
89KB, 600x600px
I'd like to see Saber Marionette J: Battle Sabers translated. There's content in it that has to do with the anime I want to see for the first time.
>>
File: xanadumap.gif (37KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
xanadumap.gif
37KB, 640x400px
>>2771672
The strokes in り or リ shouldn't connect. It's not イ or ク.
This is the worst I've had to deal with in a retro game so far. At first I didn't even realize it was Japanese since the rest of the game is in English.
>>
>>2771680
The main problem most people have with Japanese are the Kanji and to some degree the vocabulary.
Whether you find learning those easy or hard depends on your enthusiasm and methodology.
You can learn the Kana and basic grammar in a few days and play Kana only games (FC, Mk3, handhelds, PCE, early MD and SFC, various 80s computer games) with a dictionary.
>>
>>2771693

I just realized the font on this computer displays り in a spastic way. that's what was throwing me off.

and that looks like some sort of classical script in that pic. maybe it was for intentional effect, like ye olde english?

never played xanadu but faxanadu is one of my favs. it's hamfisted translation to english makes it better imo "you are free from injury because of the ointment"
>>
>>2771686
Fat chance, that game is REALLY bad.
>>
File: popful mail.jpg (168KB, 640x1161px) Image search: [Google]
popful mail.jpg
168KB, 640x1161px
>>
>>2771706
I figure learning all the vocabulary is the hardest part of any language. It's really the main reason I haven't started with Japanese, because I don't feel like learning 10,000 new words that I need to git gud. There's still like half a dictionary worth of French I need to get to.
>>
>>2771779
Vocabulary is something you pick up as you use it. It's mainly recommended to learn the 1000-2000 most common words so you don't have to look up every second thing. Knowing how to use a dictionary is more important than memorizing it in its entirety.
The problem you face with Japanese is that new words will often use unknown Kanji so you have to get around those in one way or another.
>>
>>2771803
>>2771779
what I do is I just learn new vocabulary and kanji together. that way the kanji tends to stick better too, since you're already associating it with one word, and then you'll get new words with that kanji which will further give you points to remember that kanji by, and by side-effect make you good at explaining how a kanji is read in a compound since you can explain it by how kanji A is pronounced in such-and-such word and kanji B in such-and-such word (that's how the Japanese do it when explaining how names are to be read for example).
>>
>>2771779
>>2771803
>>2771808
you guys been brainwashed by /djt/
>>
>>2771813
It seems like common sense to me.
Do you have a better suggestion?
>>
Ore no Shikabane O Koete Yuke

;_;
>>
>>2771779

Vocabulary tends to be easy. Syntax and phonology tends to be difficult for adult learners of second languages.
>>
>>2771881
I think that depends on what languages you are learning and what you are familiar with.
>>
>>2771881
That's really only an issue if you intend to speak it. If you're just absorbing it through text or audio then you hardly have to worry.
>>
>>2770835
>The Super Chinese World aka Super Ninja Boy series made major improvements through out the series, but we only got the first.
I thought we got like four or five of those games in that series?

I know we got at least one or two on the NES and GB.
>>
>>2771875
some rather delicious enemy sprites there
>>
File: Boku_no_Natsuyasumi_Cover.jpg (54KB, 616x613px) Image search: [Google]
Boku_no_Natsuyasumi_Cover.jpg
54KB, 616x613px
NEVER
EVER
>>
>>2771895
If you're not learning Japanese fully (reading, speaking, writing), it's like you're a cripple.
>>
>>2771732

shut up, you casual hipster pleb weeb
>>
>>2771263
>first newspaper was from Germany
>all newspaper readers are members of the Third Reich
>>
The Dino Breeder series on Game Boy, I don't think any entry is translated despite them seeming very simple in language.
>>
>>2771151
All the SNES visual novels need to be translated.
>>
>>2772000
Came here to say this. A summer vacation sim set in mid-'70s Japan seems so wonderful
>>
>>2772094

depending on who do you ask, yes.

I still know people who think anything german-related is nazi.
>>
File: 303681_front.jpg (57KB, 329x593px) Image search: [Google]
303681_front.jpg
57KB, 329x593px
Nage Libre, it doesn't look like the best game but I like it, i have a thing for pixelated girl of that era.

Tokimeki fucking Memorial how come no one did this one, we got the gay ver. but not the original.

Tokyo Twilight Busters, curiously it has a DS remake but no one knows it even exist.
>>
SUPER FAMICOM WARS

PLEASE GOD
>>
>>2773451
>I have a thing for pixelated girl of that era.
Do you realize how many thousand games like that are out there that will never get translated?
>>
>>2772078
You have to make compromises somewhere. You're not going to get the language skill of somebody who lived there for 20 years until you've lived there for 20 years.
Being able to write Japanese by hand is a skill most people will never use in their entire life. People barely even write Latin script by hand nowadays.
Learning how to draw Kanji may be a useful way to memorizing them but it's a heavy investment and there are alternative ways for dong that.
I learned Kana input for keyboards in case some game requires it even though most Japanese people use Romaji input.
>>
File: Otogiris%C5%8D.jpg (23KB, 220x400px) Image search: [Google]
Otogiris%C5%8D.jpg
23KB, 220x400px
Otogoriso
Also Banshee's Last Cry for something other than fucking iOS
>>
Star Ocean Blue Sphere for the GBC. Its a direct sequel to The Second Story. Apparantly some guy died in the middle of translating it, lmao.

Also, Segagaga, which idk why the fuck that hasn't been done.
>>
>>2771247
Maybe you just think every derogatory term is generic because people always call you a sperg and you don't realize it's because you act like one.
Like what you're doing right here. Saying everyone here is wapanese because moot sold out the the man. Full on spergism.
It doesn't make you a casual or a weeb. It just makes you a sperg. Get it?
>>
File: robopon 64.jpg (86KB, 416x572px) Image search: [Google]
robopon 64.jpg
86KB, 416x572px
>>2773824
>Apparantly some guy died in the middle of translating it, lmao

That's not funny.
>>
>>2773805
>Banshee's Last Cry for something other than fucking iOS
Came here to post this, actually came to post Kamaitachi No Yoru first but barely remembered it has an English counterpart. What's Otogirisou?

I get sad when I realize I'm not quite as good at Japanese self study as I think I am and that I'd probably never translate even a platformer, let alone obscure RPGs and Visual Novels. It's the whole reason why I picked it up, it's just hard with so little immersion around me. I try to go to it myself and it's a bit much for the senses.
>>
File: Customrobo.jpg (27KB, 285x400px) Image search: [Google]
Customrobo.jpg
27KB, 285x400px
I dream that one day the N64 Custom Robo titles will be in English (and hopefully GX too)
>>
>>2777146
The first Custom Robo is pretty great. Couldn't get into V2 for some reason though.
>>
>>2770730
>>2770835
>>2771151
>>2771174
>>2771254
>>2771628
>>2771875
these all seem neat

>>2773639
controls are basically same as advance wars, if you can recognize some key vocab on sight then you're pretty much set. doubt you're missing much on storyline.

>>2773672
if you want to look up something it's fastest if you can:

(a) try out the on/kun readings [fastest, but assumes you know the individual character or can guess from its radicals]
(b) handwriting recognition
(c) search by radical components [tedious and sometimes not obvious]

dunno if it exists, but if anyone knows a search engine where you can directly enter the radicals [eg 月日 for 明,彐日隹 for 曜] (c) might not be too bad. either way it's important to know how they're structured since pixelated kanji can be difficult to discern sometimes.

>>2771881
true, but vocab is the long battle. in a mechanical sense, japanese is usually regular enough to easily break up a sentence into clauses. and from there it's just vocab/kanji/conjugation. phonology--that's the agglutination of sounds I gather?--is just something you gain with experience.
>>
>>2777432
>agglutination

Speaking of vocabulary, as a native English speaker I've never heard or seen this word before. Kind of funny since we were on the topic.
>>
>>2771254
Thanks anon!
>>
>>2774404

You type and redact like a retard.
>>
Taiko Risshiden

any of the 5, though only 3 of them are /vr/
>>
File: makamaka.png (231KB, 425x333px) Image search: [Google]
makamaka.png
231KB, 425x333px
apparently someone said they were going to translate it a couple years ago but never did
>>
>>2771727
I was literally just looking for a translated SNES popful mail. With all the hype it has plus sega cd english release I'm shocked it hasn't been done
>>
>>2777432
You can use OCR like Kanjitomo. It's hardly perfect for low resolution games or those without monochrome backgrounds but for PC-98 and the like it's relatively reliable.
Reverse lookup can also work if you have a good context.

Jissho lets you select radicals from a list.
Maybe Cangie input or similar Chinese methods would work if you want radical input.
>>
>>2777432
>dunno if it exists, but if anyone knows a search engine where you can directly enter the radicals
jisho?
http://jisho.org/#radical
>>
Ganbare Goemon 2 (Aeon Genesis has it "in development" since forever. It's obviously not being made)
Ganbare Goemon 3 (some guy on various forums claims to be working on it... since several years ago while not showing more than a couple of screenshots)
Ganbare Goemon 4 (same thing)

At least there's some dude on youtube that translated the main story portions over gameplay videos. Still not the same.

I might as well learn japanese at this point. It's gonna be faster.
>>
>>2778106
Some of the Playstation games seem to be good too. This one is in the same style as the SNES games, even uses sprites.
>>
>>2778108
Yeah, I've played them all I think.
I guess I only mentioned the SNES ones because they're the ones I've been waiting for the most, but you can add to that list the 4 PS1 games (specially the first and the third, the two platformers classic style), and, god, the DS one.

So yeah, might as well learn japanese.
>>
>>2777747
Isn't this still sitting around on AGTP?
>>
>>2778125

I don't know why people still think this asshole is such hot shit.

Is it because he translated Treasure of the Rudras or what?
>>
Segagaga.

Deep down I know it'll never, ever happen.

But let me dream.
>>
>>2778021
I just use handwriting recognition and try different stuff if I can't guess the readings--it's surprisingly forgiving as long as you follow rough stroke order.

if you know the main component of a character or another character which shares the same radical then zh wiktionary is pretty nice. For example, 待 page shows 持 and other stuff with 寺, plus it has japanese readings/definitions so I use it more than jisho lately. cangie seems neat though, I totally overlooked all of those methods, although I'm pretty grateful I'll never have to use them exclusively.

Obviously, the best way is to just memorize the character readings, but I've been slacking lately.

>>2778083
>http://jisho.org/#radical
面倒くせー ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
>>
>>2778162
It's because he translated a lot of games. Problem is, he also said he was going to translate a lot more, and a lot of romhackers are faggots about some kind of romhacking honor reguarding if somebody has dibs on a project, despite the guy outright saying for people to go for it and supporting people who actually worked on projects he was working on before they got out.
>>
>>2780082

Yeah, but do you see what he did to the SFC version of Tactics Ogre? That shit's just not right....If all you're going to do is dump the PSX translation into it, then least make sure the thing isn't a buggy fucking piece of shit once you get through with it.

And you sure as hell don't try and be cute about the shitty job you're doing by releasing a gag "Al-Bhed" translation before the real abortion. -_-
>>
>>2780140
>-_-
Go back to reddit.
>>
>>2780021
>面倒くせー ┐( ̄ー ̄)┌
it's faster if you git gud

I played through several games with this as my only way of finding kanji I didn't know.
>>
>>2780148
>caring about smileys in posts
gb2>>>/b/
>>
>>2780148

>Go back to reddit.

Go back to /b/ dicksuck. :)
>>
>>2773824
>Its a direct sequel

*It's a direct sequel
>>
>>2773451
>no one knows it even exist

*no one knows it even exists
>>
>>2771668
Japan is the third largest economy in the world and uses 99% the same simplified characters as the second. If you think it's useless you're just retarded.
>>
>>2780165
>>2780160

kill you're self
>>
>>2771676
>lost decade

Anyone who's actually well versed in economics will tell you that the Lost Decade is mostly bullshit.
>>
>>2771875
>Ore no Shikabane O Koete Yuke
It's just way too complicated, too many systems in the game, it's incredibly dense. I've actually tooled around with it and did the menus for myself, but anything beyond that would be a couple years of work at least. The kanji used in that game is way above most JRPGs, and there's much less kana than usual. Too bad because it's one of the best around; Shoji Masuda made some of the greatest games of that gen.
>>
>>2773451
>Tokimeki fucking Memorial how come no one did this one
Seriously, what the actual fuck. I guess it's pretty basic and somewhat dated now, but it's TokiMemo! It's on literally every console and platform, wtf.
>>
>>2777432
>(c) search by radical components [tedious and sometimes not obvious]
You forgot (d) by stroke count, even more tedious and less obvious.
>>
>>2781428
Supposedly several different attempts have been made over the years, but they all died out pretty quickly.
>>
>>2781436
>>2781428
isn't that the jap dating game that started that whole genre?
>>
THIS GAME RIGHT HERE

I really want to know what happens in the story since im not very good with japanese and it's predecessor had a translation but not this one
>>
Linkle Liver Story. It was developed by the same team that made Crusader of Centy, and it's basically that game's spiritual successor. Supposedly, it's playable without a knowledge of Japanese, but it's still rather text heavy.
>>
File: snoopy concert.jpg (46KB, 496x273px) Image search: [Google]
snoopy concert.jpg
46KB, 496x273px
A Snoopy game made by Nintendo that was never localised, a real shame.
>>
File: Sharp_X1_Tokyo-Nampa.Street_S3.png (6KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
Sharp_X1_Tokyo-Nampa.Street_S3.png
6KB, 640x400px
>>2781462
It's hard to point to a specific start of a genre. Some will mention Elf's Dôkyûsei, others Enix's Tôkyô Nanpa Street. They all have in common that they aren't translated, as are most later dating sims.
Some people will confuse dating sims with adventures or visual novels but they are fundamentally different.
>>
>>2770721
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machi_(video_game)
>>
File: gokinjou.jpg (77KB, 316x576px) Image search: [Google]
gokinjou.jpg
77KB, 316x576px
Gokinjo Boukentai
>>
>>2781696
But..there IS a complete translation of this, it's by Aeon Genesis. They captured the Peanuts spirit really well.
>>
File: shui hu shi kong.png (117KB, 992x582px) Image search: [Google]
shui hu shi kong.png
117KB, 992x582px
I know that this is pretty much posting a "black sheep" in the thread, since it's not Japanese (but it's not English either), and in a sense they are -technically- bootleg games, but they're also some pretty well done Pokemon clones for the GBC (that surprisingly are done from scratch rather than really elaborate ROMhacks) in their own right. It's a shame that 99% of the game hacking translation community knows Japanese, and only a really tiny amount knows Mandarin Chinese (especially the type written in Traditional script and spoken in Taiwan) and associate "Chinese games" with "really shit poor quality games that (mis)use copyrighted properties haphazardly and should burn in hell" (surprise surprise, sometimes that isn't the case at all, just that Sturgeon's Law is applied greatly especially in greater China)

I can even dig some of the monster designs, even if there are a few that were stolen and modified from other games. I like the graphical quality and level design too. Though sometimes both games have bootleg-y bugs (whatever you do, do NOT use the move "狼嚎" EVER), but otherwise, the games are pretty enjoyable.

I think the closest we got is some post from the Pirated Game Central Forums linking to Pastebins of really Engrish translations of both games' Pokedexes riddled with side notes all over (including a really dubious but somewhat plausible note at the end of Shi Kong Xing Shou's notes about a crazy old anime show that I have forgotten about). At least the pastebins kept what was originally said in Chinese intact, so they can be translated more fluidly and correctly if we want. I also think someone made a comprehensive English strategy guide to Shi Kong Xing Shou (but not the other game), and someone else recently dumped the sprites in full color too. I'll link to all these once I find them if you want.

I'd imagine it'd be like hell to try to dump all the text of these games, or even change the font to be smaller. But if there's a will...
>>
File: waixing nes shui hu.png (4KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
waixing nes shui hu.png
4KB, 256x224px
>>2782974
(continued, I also think there are Youku (chinese youtube) let's plays done by a Chinese person if you know where to look...)

Oh, and there are for some reason two separate NES ports of Shui Hu Shen Shou (porting something from a younger console to a much older console, how about that), one done by Shenzhen Nanjing (infamous for their Final Fantasy 7 NES port), the other by Waixing (infamous for their, well, everything else they've ever done). Pictured here is the Waixing NES version.

Both ports pretty much blow donkey balls in comparison to the GBC original.
>>
Is Moon translated yet?
>>
>>2783013
Nearly done. I hope it doesn't end up in the same purgatory as Segagaga, though...
>>
>>2783048
Well, from what I can tell, Segagaga is a larger and more detailed game than Moon, so...
>>
>>2782974
How difficult are Chinese games to come by?
I might take a shot at Chinese when I'm confident with Japanese. Xuan-Yuan Sword or Sword and Fairy might be interesting.
>>
>>2770730
>>2772000

I would really love to experience one of these "kid's summer vacation" titles.

>>2778106
I loved N64 Goemon games, it's sad knowing no-one will ever translate those you listed
>>
>>2783391
I think they are pretty common. If you're talking about legitimate PC games, then I think yeah. Might show up on Chinese shopping sites, or even if you're extra crafty you can download it since that's common in China

If you're talking about unlicensed games for old Nintendo/Sega systems, well, that depends entirely on bootleg game enthusiast collectors (who might not even be from China/Taiwan/HK) and have a good ROM dumper (and protection cracking skills) handy. Sometimes a game is dumped, sometimes it's not, it's all seemingly random with unlicensed Chinese games and whether or not their ROMs are available for download or confined to screenshots and videos.

Protip: when looking for the Shui Hu Shen Shou ROM (the original GBC one, unmodified), search "shawu story". The ROM is usually called "Shawu Story [C][a1]" on ROM hosting sites (instead of the actual name or even a translation of the name) because it's what the header of the game says. Be careful what you download, as the Shawu Story without the "[a1]" makes a HUGE difference, as it's a completely different Three Kingdoms-based game by the same developer. Yeah, they're both labeled wrong on ROM sites for some reason.

As for Shi Kong Xing Shou, well,
http://fuji.drillspirits.net/?post=86
http://hhug.me/?post=12 (on that last link, try the fourth ROM at the very bottom)

Vast Fame are seriously awesome guys, like one of the diamonds in the rough of unlicensed games. I wonder where they went off to now, seeing as they disappeared in the mid-2000s...
>>
yuuami toori tankai looks creepy as fuck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8s9wF9ukvk
>>
>>2783527
lol I meant yuuyami doori tankentai
>>
File: sanriotimenet.jpg (35KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sanriotimenet.jpg
35KB, 480x360px
Sanrio Time Net: Kako Hen (Historical Version) and Mirai Hen (Future Version)

Those are some pretty fun Imagineer-developed takes on the Pokemon monster collecting genre with a very cute flavor. Unfortunately, because they have "SANRIO" attached to the title, and because Hello Kitty is also in this game, no one wants to translate it. It doesn't seem all that hard to hack and change the text...

But who knows? Maybe one day it might be translated fully. I know that there have been several old Sanrio games that *have* received the English fan patch treatment, surprisingly enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNaoVmEI9W0
A video of the Future version, in case you're interested.
>>
>>2785786
The Sanrio games that I have played have all been pretty great.
>>
>>2783391
Easy as fuck here.
>>
>>2785795
There are even lots of Chinese fan translations of many games old and new, even Japanese games that never got an English localization or a fan patch.

Romhacking.net has only a small portion of all the Chinese fan patches, and they do have some popular series like Pokemon, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, etc. If you tinker around in the Chinese internets, you will be able to find a whole bunch of ROMs for a lot of games.

You might even say that the Chinese-language fan translation community is much larger than its English-speaking equal. Though trying to find particular games in simplified or traditional script is another matter entirely.
>>
File: lum.png (13KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
lum.png
13KB, 640x480px
I don't even know if they're any good but I don't care. I just want to play games with Lum in them.
>>
File: Garage - Bad Dream Adventure.jpg (88KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Garage - Bad Dream Adventure.jpg
88KB, 640x480px
Suda51's early mystery games like Moonlight Syndrome.

Mizzurna Falls, of course.

Pic related goes without saying.
>>
>>2785813
Couldn't we use their tools to insert an English translation?

My pick, just found it in another thread, London Seirei Tanteidan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72jAMCHL-2c

Beautiful ass fuck pixel art.
>>
File: gl1tipiruise.jpg (87KB, 480x357px) Image search: [Google]
gl1tipiruise.jpg
87KB, 480x357px
The first Growlanser. It already got a localization from II to V, while I was still not translated, even if its the PSP remake. Although a translated script exist, some things are not covered on it.
>>
>>2785813
I'm not sure if it should be called fan translations or bootlegs. Either way, yes there's a lot of stuff that's been translated to Chinese but not English. Unfortunately a lot are things your typical whitey would ever want to play, especially in Chinese, so most rom sites don't have them.
There was some faggot on assembler a while back who was talking about dumping all this shit but he got banned or whatever because he was just begging for people to send him carts.

>>2785858
>we
No chance. Even if a translation was possible throwing someone who doesn't know the languages and has no experience with translating roms would certainly doom it to failure.
Also, no it wouldn't work.
>>
>>2785858
Thing is, Japanese to Chinese translation have little to no issue (on the technical side) in being inserted directly in a console game because of both languages' monospaced, fullwidth, and completely gridlike nature, and most kanji are shared between the languages (even when taking traditional-simplified-shinjitai differences in mind).
Same cannot be said for Japanese to English, as depending on the game and how its text is originally visually formatted, that would require a more varied-width (or at least thinner/smaller) font, and for some people working on certain games, that would be a pain in the butt to reprogram to even look good. The Chinese's advantage over English is that there isn't much reprogramming text printing involved (unless if they were dealing with a pretty old low-res all-kana video game), and they'd have to add/replace some new hanzi in the font graphics at worst. Fullwidth fonts do not look good in an English game as it does to a Japanese/Chinese game, likewise.
>>
>>2785995
Can you use Chinese letters in Kana only games?
>>
File: FE5.002.png (61KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
FE5.002.png
61KB, 256x224px
Fire emblem Thracia 776 has a translation but it's a really glitchy poor translation and I wish it was fixed
>>
File: pokemon chinese.gif (3KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
pokemon chinese.gif
3KB, 160x144px
>>2786006
Theoretically, yes. Depending on the size of the original font, some adjustments need to be made (especially for an old portable/console game) or they don't have to do so at all if the font is large enough. It can be tough, and sometimes it might make the Chinese text a bit crowded. Pic related is one example where font resizing was required when the original font was 8x8 pixel kana.

>>2785981
Fan translations or bootlegs, it all depends. If it was originally distributed online by fan enthusiasts without much intention of actually selling it, then it's a fan translation. If it was originally sold on an actual cart, then bootleg. Some online translations have been sold illegally, especially Pokemon games (Nintendo isn't translating the mainline RPG games even when having subsidiaries in Greater China), though that is usually by a third party without permission just to grab a quick buck rather than by the group who even did the translation to begin with.
>>
Medarot (more specifically, Navi)
>>
>>2786078
The first one is being worked on (almost complete, in fact), and I hear of plans to get things started on Navi.
Thread posts: 139
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.