[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this fight such a piece of shit, defiling an otherwise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

File: Secret of Mana (U) [!]000.png (19KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Secret of Mana (U) [!]000.png
19KB, 256x224px
Why is this fight such a piece of shit, defiling an otherwise nice game thus far?

And how the fuck do you even have a chance to beat it, when it just jumps around like a retard while doing un-counterable DOT and what feels like 10 second stuns?

Secret of Mana general?
>>
>>2768418
>inb4 just grind it

If I wanted to waste my time doing the same exact thing again and again, I´d play wow
>>
>>2768421
Most action games are redoing the same thing again and again until you memorize patterns and git gud. Bad analogy.
>>
File: 1445752293177.jpg (23KB, 169x182px) Image search: [Google]
1445752293177.jpg
23KB, 169x182px
>>2768418
>defiling an otherwise nice game thus far?
you ain't even got magic son, fb generation I swear
>>
>>2768438
You dont get magic until after this fight m8
>>
>>2768440
exactly, how can you say the game is nice when you haven't even gotten to the meat of it
>>
>>2768441
because I quite like it thus far - except for the camera which leaves a lot to be desired, but other than that, I´ve got a good feel until now
>>
>>2768440
Once you have magic you have two choices:

>You use it to kill every further boss without fighting.
>You don't use magic and get killed by the unblockable magic of the bosses without being able to do something.
>>
>>2768450
>>2768450
Then why do I keep hearing awesome things about this game? I had hoped it would be more like the Gameboy version (Mystic Quest) but from feedback here and this shitty tiger boss design, I cant say I get the hype I was reading. I mean, until now, it was pretty cool but this shitty roadstop makes me not want to play unless I can get some sort of realistic strategy
>>
>>2768418

unless this is you first RPG or action/RPG ever, the tiger isn't even that hard.

git gud faggot
>>
>>2768476
Wait what? It has unblockable and unblockable attacks which stunlock you so it can chain them together, it can hit you anywhere automatically regardless of how you move or how far away you are and while stunned, you cant heal or use herbs. How is that not completely retarded?
>>
>>2768418
What are you talking about? Spikey Kitty is one of the best fights in the game because it's actually challenging.
>>
Don't you have the boomerang or some ranged weapon that can hit when he's out of range of the other ones? Or is this too early? I forget.
>>
>>2768418
You need to level long range weapons and the lance. And go to the center of the platform on the bottom before kitty bounces.
>>
>>2768461
You have to use long distance weapons to hit it when it's on the ledge, i.e. the BOW, BOOMERANG, WHIP, or JAVELIN.

You may be swinging at the monster without seeing damage numbers popping out, or you may be getting hit and healed at the same time and will lag before damage rolls out, this is not you missing the enemy or failing to do damage, the game is stacking all the attacks and spells before rolling out the result, you can chain attacks to spells and vice versa, and if a monster hits you hard and you think you might die you can immediately have another party member stack a candy on them to prevent them from taking fatal damage.

You should also have healing items that can remove status effects at this point in the game.
>>
>>2768418
>MFW I used to grind to level 35 before taking on that boss
>>
Use the weapon charge switch glitch and one-hit it.
>>
>>2769781
only works with two controllers
>>
File: Seikendensetsu2.jpg (1MB, 1205x1072px) Image search: [Google]
Seikendensetsu2.jpg
1MB, 1205x1072px
I'm considering playing this game for the first time now. any important tips or advice I should know beforehand?
>>
>>2769815
don't level up magic, it's useless
>>
>>2769827
>don't level up weapons, it's useless

Fixed.
>>
Have you tried charging your swings? It helps a lot during battle. Also Gnome's magic is the best damage. Earth slide or whatever it's called is great
>>
>>2768441
Because SoM was fun before the Spiky Tiger. What's wrong with you?

This difficulty spike is lol because it's pretty much the only one the game has. SoM is so fun.
>>
>>2769815
Neko is overpriced, avoid buying from him at all possible. Obviously sometimes you need a restock and he's the only reasonable option.

Magic is king. Weapons are shit. Don't even bother charging, just get to 100% or MAYBE Charge level 1.

enjoy youself.
>>
>>2768421
>>2768418
Just grind it. Someone dropped the ball hard making this fight, the rest of the game is much better after this.
>>
>>2768461

It's a baffling mystery. I played the game when I was a kid and LOVED it. Good story, fun action, interesting weapon and magic systems, great music. Then I started playing it several months ago and found a shallow, poorly translated story, broken, glitchy battle mechanics, interesting but poorly designed weapon and magic systems, and great music.

As a kid I wouldn't have understood how anybody could fail to love the game. Today I can't understand how anybody could fail to see how busted it is.

Your strategy is to go back to the room where you can hit werewolves across a gap and just grind on them until you're strong enough to beat the tiger. After this the game does get better. If you finish it, finish it for the music. Otherwise don't bother. You haven't even begun to see some of its biggest flaws.
>>
>>2768479

It is in fact completely retarded. Again, this game is broken. Its design is broken and its engine is broken. Somehow there is magic in it, but you probably aren't going to find a way to make the magic work for you.
>>
Why does everyone say the barrel is overpowered anyway?
>>
>>2772928
You're fucking INVINCIBLE while wearing it
>>
This game has a shit-tier translation that cut a lot of stuff out, right? At least, that's what I thought I'd heard.
>>
>>2768479

the tiger is pretty difficult. but if you switch control of characters, you can attack/heal while one of your team is stunlocked. also, ranged weapons like the whip/bow/javelin are useful when he's on a platform.
>>
>>2773141
They shortened messages by a lot, but the plot is still the same. I personally like the brevity.
>>
>>2769785
you can do it on the cpu with one controller
>>
>>2769815
SD3 was better.
>>
File: dandy.jpg (33KB, 742x576px) Image search: [Google]
dandy.jpg
33KB, 742x576px
>>2768418
I gotta say, I am a long-time fan of this game. I ground up all the orbs to get my weapons to level 9. I corrupted one of my saves with the "infinite sword orb" glitch, and then did it all over again. I love this game. Lots of good memories.

The absolute BEST part about this game is the multiplayer. If you don't got a buddy or two to play this with, it won't be as fun. But you get 3-player co-op going, and it's a blast.

This game is beautiful, and the music is arguably the best soundtrack on the SNES. Take a moment and listen to the soundtrack all the way through sometime, because it is glorious.

This game is absolutely flawed, though. The translation is pure shit, even by 90s squaresoft standards. Much of the dialogue makes absolutely no sense. Woolsey has stated that the translation was very rushed to get it out for the holiday season that year (to quote, "it nearly killed me"), and because of memory restrictions compounded with using a fixed-width font, much of the dialogue had to be stripped down to be very dumbed-down.

It's also in that period of time before the Mana series had distinguished itself apart from the rest of Square's IP. It was actually intended to be a mainline Final Fantasy game when it started... but then evolved into sort of it's own thing. As a result, the plot is pretty much nonsense and feels very slapped together. Lots of stuff just feels "thrown in" for whatever reason, and none of it feels cohesive.
>>
>>2774174
(continued)

These flaws exist with good reason (well, adequate reason). See, this game was originally developed for the SNES CD add-on, so a lot of the planned features had to be cut. If you look at the overworld map of the game, the player spends like a third of the game in about 10% of the overworld. That part of the overworld is incredibly detailed and fleshed out.. the rest of it is just tons of open space.

The developers originally intended for there to be lots more content, including multiple paths to play through the game. What else was scrapped can only be speculated, but there is a point in the game where you basically rush from temple to temple getting Mana seeds with very little game inbetween. I tend to think this is where a lot of the content got cut, as it feels like the "most" unfinished part of the game.

Anyway, it's a good game, but I can't help but wonder how much better it could've been.
>>
>>2768418
the entire game is a broken piece of shit. anyone else who says otherwise is either super autistic or has huge nostalgia glasses on
>>
>>2768418
>defiling an otherwise nice game thus far?

They're all like this from now on, friend. Hope you like Sprite-spamming
>>
>>2768476
>>2768479
>>2768418
Just play Seiken Densetsu 3 and be done with it, it's way better than this one
>>
>>2774130
nope. SD1 is though.
>>
Got a japanese copy with box and manual for like 30€
gonna buy the retron 5 console to play it.
>>
>>2768418
This was the first Square game I played. I enjoyed it then because I didn't know any better. I tryed replaying it many years later, and I really wanted it to be good, but no, it's shit.

However, the soundtrack is awesome.
>>
>>2777781
>>2774130
So, SD 3 crowds are the Eternia, FF14, or SF33S of this game series apparently.
>Hey guys help me out with game x
>nah fuck you go play game y
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.