[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a jrp thread? I'm looking for a new ps1 game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 11

File: FF9_Stellazio_Cancer.jpg (46KB, 599x440px) Image search: [Google]
FF9_Stellazio_Cancer.jpg
46KB, 599x440px
Can we have a jrp thread?

I'm looking for a new ps1 game to play on my psp.

I have vargrant story, xenogears, wildarms, and parasite eve on my to play list but i'm currently leaning to ffIX since I liked both 7 & 8.

I tried wild arms but i couldn't get into it.

Anything else I might be missing?

Anyone else unable to get into wild arms?
>>
I'd recommend Breath of Fire 3 & 4
>>
google JRPG
>>
>>2763748
Try Threads of Fate, Brave Fencer Musashi, Grandia, Chrono Cross, Breath of Fire 3 or 4, Monster Rancher, Suiokoden II, Legend of Legaia, Digimon World, Vandal Hearts and Xenogears
>>
>>2763758
I've played the original but I gave up at some point through.

>>2763769
I forgot that I've been wanting to play the digimon world game
>>
File: alundra.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
alundra.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
Valkyrie Profile: unique gameplay for a JRPG, dungeons feel like 2D platforming levels with some puzzles, and combat is quite original and fun, cool art style. There is a PSP version, but people claim it's inferior to the PSX one.

Star Ocean II: it's a bit of a mix with sci-fi/Final Fantasy elements, allows a lot of customization through skills, items, etc., gameplay reminds of Tales of. Usually overlooked. There is also a remake for PSP if I remember correctly.

Xenogears: the plot is cool and intricate, but storytelling is not so great (second CD is just mere exposition, and it drags often on the first one); it has two combat systems, one on foot, another for the mechas, but both are quite simple yet not bad; go for it right now if you liked Evangelion. A nice experience overall, but not for everyone.

Threads of Fate is quite bland in my opinion. If you're looking for a more action-packaged JRPG, Brave Fencer Musashi is way more fun.
Also, if you're going to try action-rpgs, go and check the first Alundra, which is probably one of the best games in the genre, and it will look lovely on your PSP. I finished it on the PSP too and it became one of my favourites of all time.

I couldn't beat the first Digimon World since I got the PAL version, but despite that it wasn't such a memorable game. I completed DMW3 though; I look at it with tender eyes but inside me I know it's only pure nostalgia since the game it's not quite good; moreover, running it on PSP it's quite problematic (or it was some years ago).

I found Grandia very boring and I dropped it after 10 hours or so.
>>
>>2763760
Wtf is a jayperguer?
>>
File: 4379944463_378b245696.jpg (205KB, 424x500px) Image search: [Google]
4379944463_378b245696.jpg
205KB, 424x500px
>>2763828
I thought Grandia was very charming, but I feel it does lose steam 3/4 or so through the game. I'd say to give it a try.
>>2763748
I couldn't get into Wild Arms either. It felt very slow to me.

Anyway, ps1 jrpgs I recommend Legend of Legaia, Suikoden 1+2(a lot of people prefer the 2nd one, you can play it without playing the 1st), Rhapsody and Breath of Fire 3 + 4.
>>
>>2763748
Valkyrie Profile
Star Ocean/Star Ocean 2
SaGa Frontier/SaGa Frontier 2
Breath of Fire 3/Breath of Fire 4
Suikoden/Suikoden 2
Brigandine: Legend of Forsaena
Chrono Cross
Vandal Hearts/Vandal Hearts 2
Legend of Mana
Chocobo Dungeon/ Chocobo Dungeon 2
Arc The Lad trilogy
Front Mission trilogy
Koudelka
King's Field series
Shadow Tower
Langrisser IV/Langrisser V
Tales of Eternia
Xenogears

If you read moon there's also other fun stuff.
>>
>>2763828
Star Ocean 2 just got a rerelease for PSV and PS4.
>>
>>2763748
Suikoden 2.

Coming off of final fantasy 8 and 9 the graphics will take a little getting used to, but the plot is great, the combat is great, the soundtrack is great, the gameplay is great, there are so many characters you will definitely find ones you like.

It's just great!

But do yourself a favour and don't try for the 108 stars of destiny ending on your first run. It's a real pain to pull off.
>>
>>2763748
Fantastic pic.
>>
>>2763828
most ps1 games have been converted into eboots now so you can play ps1 games "naively" on a homebrew psp vrs using pops loader.

I finally seem to have my homebrewed wii working so i'll poroabbly play xenogears since I want to play xenoblade chronicles
>>
>>2763748
FFIX is one of my favorites in the series. Especially if you liked VII and VIII and enjoy fantasy settings you'll probably really enjoy it.

Tales of Destiny is possibly my all time favorite JRPG. Great world and characters, great battle system and gorgeous. Highly recommended.

Breath of Fire IV starts kind of slow, but builds to a great ending and is overall a very good adventure. III is pretty good as well.

>>2764893
I thought all PS ISOs played normally on a PSP that had been homebrewed. At least I've never found one that didn't work and I'm pretty sure they hadn't all been converted.
>>
>>2764927
The Phatom Menace didn't work, I think.
And Digimon World 3 had some issues and it required to change the "GAME ID" or something, and then it still had some problems when you had to summon Digmon, may be?
>>
>>2764945
Interesting. I will say I haven't tried either of those though.
>>
>>2764927
I've had better luck using eboots over pops to play regular ps1 isos. So far just mm legends ran slow, and mmg2 crashes but that might just be a corrupt file since it's a repeatable crash.
>>
>>2763849
im 40 hours into the first disc and im getting really bored of it, i cant play it for more than 40 minutes at a time.
i just teleported sue to parm , how close am i to disc 2 ?
>>
>>2763748
Wild Arms is amazing and I don't know what your problem is. It's hands down the best top-down classic style jRPG overall.

I

I JUST LOVE IT SO MUCH
>>
>>2765116
Just put the game down, it gets a lot worse in disc 2.
>>
>>2765116
I think once you lose Sue you're about a third or a halfway through the game, and the last half is pretty heavy on exposition. You shouldn't really need to grind anymore either, as long as you explore thoroughly for good items, but the last boss is kind of tough.
>>
>>2763748
>Anyone else unable to get into wild arms?

I played a decent amount of WA3 and beat WA1. It's not that great in my eyes. Not terrible but not something I'd utter in the same breath as Dragon Quest, Valkyrie Profile, or Shin Megami Tensei.
>>
>>2765116
Sue leaves your party one dungeon before Disc 2, so you're almost done with the disc.
>>
I tried getting into Wild Arms recently and failed. It wasn't bad or anything, but just seemed like nothing I haven't seen before.
>>
>>2765176
I played it back in 2000 or 1999 I think.
I really loved it at the time because it had upgradable guns. That turned me on in an RPG for some reason.

I think I got to the end and never finished it.
I have tried 4 times since then and always give up because it is pretty boring.
>>
>>2765176
Wild Arms has possibly the best introduction of any game I've played.

Right up until the end of the Adlehyde scenario it's just pure gold
>>
>>2765184
are there any jRPGs that aren't boring though

shit are there any RPGs period
>>
>>2765191
I think this is why Chrono Trigger is held in such a high regard. It ends before it becomes boring, unlike most other games in the genre that insist on being dragged out.
>>
>>2765191
>are there any jRPGs that aren't boring though

No. Not for me anymore.
I noticed as I got older, I couldnt play them anymore because I got bored easily and I feel like my life is wasting away playing a 80 hour RPG.

That said, I was able to play FFXII for the first time last year and was able to sit through it somehow. Fran is the hottest game babe in history besides maybe Bayonetta.
>>
Will I become disillusioned if I try replaying Valkyrie Profile now? I remember it being one of the best things on PS1.
>>
>>2765196
I think it's not just about the length, I can still play some games for 100 hours and come out satisfied. It's just that many parts of your typical JRPG design simply waste time. Sometimes I can't help feeling that the exact same game could be presented in half the time if the director tried.
>>
>>2765194
Good point.
>>
>>2765201
Not him, but that's what essentially made me stop bothering with the genre as well. I find anything where more than half the time in a random encounter my only real option is having everyone attack impossibly boring to play now. And that constitutes probably 95% of all JRPGs.
>>
File: great greed.jpg (48KB, 329x384px) Image search: [Google]
great greed.jpg
48KB, 329x384px
Great Greed and Knight Quest on the Game Boy.

Great Greed is very funny and charming.
>>
>>2765204
I find myself playing more action RPGS's now instead.

I wish I could try dark souls or demon souls.
>>
This turned into another jrpg bashing thread, what a surprise.
>>
>>2765218
Sorry you couldn't have a circle jerk kiddo.
Other people have differing opinions. You'll be wise to learn that.
>>
It's funny how pretty much all JRPGs improve once you have access to a turbo button on an emulator.
>>
>JRPG

Translation: Unplayable trash in 2015.
>>
>>2765227
Oh, I'm not complaining, I don't like them either.
>>
>>2765237
o-oh...
>>
>>2765215
Etrian Odyssey fills all my needs now, it's more of a dungeon crawl than regular RPG but the combat and exploring is so great.

>>2765227
Ohh kiddo man, your antics never get old.
>>
>>2763835
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXVhOPiM4mk
>>
I used to play JRPGs a lot as a kid, but as others have said I have less patience for their bullshit as time goes go on. Luckily emulator speedup means random enckunters go by at 1/20th the speed they used to.
>>
Does anyone know where to find the Star Ocean 2 undub?
>>
>>2765340
isohunt has it.
>>
>>2765349
Thanks. I don't know why I was having so much trouble finding that. The dub voices were killing me.
>>
>>2765227
>>2765263
Settle down kiddos
>>
>>2765189
I think my issue was the lack of the direction with the three characters and the thief and womans dungeons being to hard
>>
>>2765174
>>2765137
cool thanks anons, I actually picked up grandia II in the same shop a few weeks ago, does it improve on anything ?
>>
>>2763748
If you want to get into Wild Arms, then play Wild Arms 2 first. It's a FAR better game than the original. And the original's not so bad after playing the second one.
>>
>>2765631
Rudy and Cecilia are about 16, and Jack is like 21

exactly how much direction do you expect them to have

They join up right after each of their first dungeons and get wound up tight into the plot anyway, I don't think you really gave it enough of a chance

that sucks if you actually thought it was too hard though. All the dungeons in the game are pretty much non-stop puzzlefest
>>
>>2765714
The first Wild Arms is the best game in the series.
>>
>>2765714
Meh. The first one is one of my favorite RPGs ever and I could not get into the second one. I played it for 20 hours or so and just was not enjoying it at all. I couldn't put my finger on what the problem was though.
>>
>>2765973
When does it actually get good?
1-2 hours in and its boring as shit.
This game is a meme
>>
>>2765978
It gets good when the intro video starts playing
>>
>>2765984
What do you find good?

The baby tier "puzzles"?
>>
>>2765989
>Battle system
>Map design
>Visuals (outside of battle)
>Characters
>Soundtrack
>Setting
>More to do in dungeons than just walk

I can't think of anything bad about it that can't be applied to any other JRPG
>>
>>2765989
I feel like you're the kind of person who will always get stuck on one puzzle in the middle of the game, look up an answer, then get a sour taste in their mouth and blame the game for the rest of their life anyway.

Wild Arms has a few of those.
>>
>>2765998
Just testing your devoutness anon.
I like it, just not that much.
Im going to sleep
>>
>>2765231
Usually I'd disagree but holy fuck I just started playing FFXII IZJS and I would have dropped it 10 hours ago if it didn't have a turbo button

Or maybe I wouldn't have, it's actually pretty great and nice to look at
>>
>>2766010
The turbo button in that game is probably my favorite thing about it.
>>
I was a massive PSX JRPG fag in my youth. I played them all, even the obscure ones that were honestly shitty in retrospect. I moved on long ago.

OP, stop everything and play Suikoden 2. It really is a masterpiece. It really, truly is that good.

The graphics suck, but the story and setting will draw you in like no other game. It is simply fucking phenomenal.
>>
>>2766038
>the graphics suck
What the fuck? Suikoden I I'd give you, but Suikoden II looks great
>>
File: elly-xenogears.jpg (2MB, 1600x1132px) Image search: [Google]
elly-xenogears.jpg
2MB, 1600x1132px
First played this when I was 14 around 2001. It was the first game I ever took notes playing to try to make sense of all the philosophy and plot points. I barely managed to finish the game with a seriously gimped party on account of not grinding enough earlier on.

It's the only RPG that has ever interested me enough to finish it for story reasons.

And by story, I mostly mean Elly.
>>
>>2767856
dem pantyhose, mang
>>
>>2767885

Yep.
>>
File: elly03.jpg (189KB, 858x959px) Image search: [Google]
elly03.jpg
189KB, 858x959px
Nobody else with XG stories?
>>
>>2765116
>and im getting really bored of it
I tried playing it a few months back and felt the same way. The battles give you too little exp. to justify the amount of enemies.
>>
>>2765989
I loved those little puzzles. Actually they're more or less the point of the game since the battles and setting are dull.

Mostly PS1 RPGs have terrible dungeons. Suikodens are a really bad offender. Grandia has some spacious areas but it's full of identical-walled mazes with treasure chests at dead ends. Breath of Fire does the Wild Arms puzzle thing with less commitment. Mostly JRPGs are just branching corridors.
>>
>>2770120
Actually, though I'm more of a IX man, FFVII has some really good ones. The Shinra Building is full of variety, The Mansion is actually puzzling, Northern Crater is amazing, The Glacier is slightly irritating but involves actual exploration and secrets, the Temple has a goddamn Escher room. There's boring stuff there too of course.
>>
>decide to xenosaga
>for every 5 minutes of gameplay there's 2 hours of cutscene

The fuck? Is the whole trilogy like this?
>>
>>2770268
>Is the whole trilogy like this?
Yeah, exactly like Xenogears
>>
>>2770290
Nah, Xenogears wasn't nearly as bad as this.
>>
File: 1423827805961.gif (344KB, 256x192px) Image search: [Google]
1423827805961.gif
344KB, 256x192px
>>2770361
>Xenogears wasn't nearly as bad as this.

>Start game
>Cutscene
>Ok, let's go find Citan
>Cutscene
>back in the village
>Let's talk to some people
>Cutscene
>Welp, guess I'll have to go back to Citan...
>Cutscene
>Ok, a boss battle now
>Cutscene+FMV+Cutscene
>Okay time to move on
>Oh, nice a forest
>Cutscene+FMV
>Oh cool a boss battle, wonder what's next
>Cutscene
>Meh, time to get out of this fores...
>Cutscene
>Oh well, at least there's a boss battle now
>Cutscene
>Welp, time to get to that city in the desert
>Oh cool, gotta find new parts for Weltall, wonder what I'll have to...
>Cutscene
>Finally, a Boss battle
>Cutscene
>Cutscene with Citan
>Welp, time to get outta this thing
>Ok I'm outta her...
>Cutscene

And so on.
Xenogears only gives you the impression of having less cutscenes than Xenosaga because you can wander around the world map freely, but stay assured the density of cuscenes is exactly the same as any Xenosaga when you follow the storyline.
>>
>>2770365
You are a fucking retard of epic properties. Xenosaga has like 10 hours of FMV.

xenogears had 2 hours tops and it is a fucking 60 hour game get fucked you worthless shit bag.
>>
>>2770376
>and it is a fucking 60 hour game
>60 hours
There's barely enough content for 30 hours and 20 of those are cutscenes and FMVs.
Maybe you should go back and replay the game, there's very little actual gameplay, the average FF has more gameplay than Xenogears, Xenosaga isn't any different, you just get longer FMVs, the ratio of gameplay to cutscenes and FMVs is exactly the same and no ad hominem is going to change that.
>>
>>2765969
I kept getting shitcanned from just under half health by the books and couldn't muster trying the girl/thieves dungeon again
>>
>>2770365
This is why I dropped Xenogears so hard. Most of the time you were wandering around the village talking to people to finally trigger an event that let you progressed (often times needing to talk to EVERYONE in the village), having to sit through big text dumps, or having to watch a cut scene.

I don't see how this game is praised so much when you end up not playing the game. I mean maybe if there were choices in what you can say to the text then there would be a bit more interactivity but no there isn't.
>>
>>2770383
>>2770445
>>2770376
This honestly.

Xenogears is 60 hours sure, but it wouldn't surprise me if like 30 hours of that alone are just scrolling through dialogue.

Xenogears is a game I'll probably never finish because its so incredibly fucking dull.
>>
>people recommending Xenogears

Books are not video games.
>>
File: 183918-Valkyrie-Profile-series.jpg (51KB, 620x314px) Image search: [Google]
183918-Valkyrie-Profile-series.jpg
51KB, 620x314px
Personally, I'm running through pic related right now. I'll probably play Vagrant Story when I'm done. Two good choices for anyone who's never played them, or hasn't in years.

Then again, I've seen at least VP mentioned a few times in this thread.
>>
>>2771124
You're playing on Hard mode, right?
>>
>>2765338
Jrpgs work so much better on handheld these days. Nothing better than being able to take them wherever you got, play a little bit, then put it down when you need to. Also better load times compared to console rpgs.
>>
>>2771237
Yup.
>>
>>2765201
>100 hours
I just clocked 35 hours in MGS5 and it was pretty much all gameplay, and I was feeling pretty done with it by the end, but feel like I cold replay it in a month or two.

Breath of Fire 3 took me 35 hours and I wanted to abandon it every step of the way.

I'm not even really into shooters, but JRPG's are just so slow paced and monotonous. Thats why I can enjoy a game like Chrono Trigger because its like 12 hours or something to do -everything-. A full play with all the sidequests takes 12 hours. Thats totally reasonable.
>>
File: 1266166167333.jpg (521KB, 1096x1169px) Image search: [Google]
1266166167333.jpg
521KB, 1096x1169px
>>2771549
Good to hear.
>>
Came in here to shill for BoFIV. Glad to see other folks recommend it.

I didn't try it for quite awhile as I foolishly believed the HG101 article that said it was a piece of shit. After like an hour or two into the game, I honestly wondered if the guy who wrote the article even played the game.

I really couldn't get into the other BoF games, but this one was pretty great. BoF2 felt kinda generic, and BoF3 felt like the story took an eternity to go anywhere or have some characters that were actually interesting.

BoF2 Nina is best Nina though.
>>
File: 1437712029134.jpg (1MB, 2110x2626px) Image search: [Google]
1437712029134.jpg
1MB, 2110x2626px
>>2772432
Link to the article? I'd be interested in seeing it.
>>
>>2773286
>http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/bof/bof4.htm

Not him but that took me literally 2 seconds in google.

>>2772432
I also think IV is by far the best in the series.
>>
>>2770445
>>2770383
>>2770376
Just so everyone is clear on this Xenogears only had 30 mins of animation as advertised on the back of the packaging
>>
>>2773852
>>2773852
Yeah but it had a thousand years of Fei sitting on a chair telling you about all the dungeons you don't get to explore because they ran out of time and the game was a bloated mess already.
>>
>>2772432
>HG101 article that said it was a piece of shit
HG101 is opinionated as hell, have no sense of historical hindsight and are often wrong about many crucial gameplay and story details that betray the writer's lack of attention. I don't know why people take them seriously outside of exposing of semi-obscure games and the occasional developer interviews.
>>
>>2773887
hey man I know it's not perfect and not what would have been but at least you get some cool gear upgrades and spells during the wait.
>>
>>2773920
and you can't tell me the end game battle tournament mini-game wasn't fun!!! You could practically be all the gears and many of the giant enemies that you fought in the game in it's own mini version of a fighting game.
>>
>>2773925
Holy shit... I forgot about that. That was actually one of my favorite parts of Xenogears. So fucking fun.
>>
>>2768853
Pretty much the same story here. It took a couple of months to get me to play something else. I think it was Final Fantasy 8 or tactics that finally got me to stop playing it.
>>
>>2774669
It's the only time you can use Elly's omni gear.
>>
>>2773852
Still doesn't excuse the rest of it.
>>
play saga frontier its fun
>>
>>2773920
Honestly by the time it got there I was sick of the game and just wanted it to move along so I could be done with it. So I was actually a little happy that I didn't have to go trudging through those dungeons and just got the plot dumps.

But it was still pretty terrible design and the story doesn't wrap up in a satisfying way at all so it was all for naught. There are things I like about the game, but overall Xenogears was an over ambitious flop of a game.
>>
>>2775176

>But it was still pretty terrible design and the story doesn't wrap up in a satisfying way at all so it was all for naught. There are things I like about the game, but overall Xenogears was an over ambitious flop of a game.

And the worst part is, it didn't HAVE to be that way.....

(This was the era that Square began their transition to complete fucking assholes in.)
>>
>>2763748
im really trying to like them, but after 2 hours into the game, everything looks so shallow and boring
>>
Here goes /v/ again with this Xenogears was unfinished meme.
>>
>>2775197

Wat.
>>
>>2775197
What are you talking about?
The fact that Xenogears is a botched project is common knowledge.
>>
>>2775185
>>2775185
I don't think they're assholes, they just made one too many mistakes which put the company into something of a tailspin.
>>
>>2770408
why were you running around with a mage at half health

are you retarded
>>
Kinda unrelated, but I'm playing Final Fantasy 1 Dawn of Souls on Android right now. Pretty comfy.
Is there any FF that's bad enough to skip? How do they compare to the first one?
>>
I always found ps1 games on psp hard to play i remember when i bought medal of honor in 2011 on the store and damn that was a long time ago
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.