[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

games you just couldn't finish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 16

File: PE1.png (2MB, 1194x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PE1.png
2MB, 1194x1200px
I enjoyed the premise of the game. I enjoyed the combat system, but after getting to day 3 I just couldn't be bothered to sit through anymore of this game.

>fuck its dialogue
>fuck its forced exposition
>fuck how linear it is
>fuck how goddamn hidden item containers are
>fuck its limited inventory bullshit

The premise piqued my interest to the point where I'm considering checking out the book. Really interesting stuff.
>>
git gud pleb
parasite eve is fucking easy
>>
Parasite Eve is a really good game... are you underage, OP?
>>
I also didnt finish it but only because of the final escape.

Who the hell thought putting a one touch kill escape segment AFTER the final boss, without a chance to save, was a good idea?

Having to sit through the load screens, cutscenes and both forms of the final boss to attempt a trial and error puzzle can kiss my fuckin wrist.

Times killed fighting the boss: 1
Times killed escaping the ship: 4 before I put it down and havent even opened the jewelcase in fifteen years.

Great game leading up to that point too.
>>
>>2755192

How bad are you at video games? I was 10 years old when I beat the game and it took me two tries on that section because I went the wrong way on my first attempt.
>>
>>2755169
You're right, the game is easy. Almost too easy. I have no idea how you could insinuate that I thought it was hard from what I posted. I thought it was obvious from what I was saying that I found the game boring as fuck and the dialogue absolutely mind numbing. Next time I'll be sure to ditch the undertones and be overtly blunt for fuckheads like you.

>>2755173
>Parasite Eve is a really good game... are you underage, OP?

Couldn't get past gems like these.

Daniel : Heard from a cop that your boyfriend ran outta there like a
wuss ! Haha !...Er...sorry your date didn't go well, ahem...

Baker : Yes. We're having a press conference now, and I want you there
too.
Aya : Me ?
Baker : That's right. You'll be on national television as the sole survivor of that incident.
>>
>>2755192
Holy shit you suck. You go down the corridor and through a door (repeat twice). Game complete.

How are you so bad at this?
>>
File: 1445105223729.jpg (124KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1445105223729.jpg
124KB, 500x375px
>>2755201
>getting this defensive

yep, underage
>>
>>2755207

>not knowing what website you're on

not here to be your friend
>>
>>2755163
Pathetic
>>
>>2755197
>>2755202

Nah you can blow me, that was as bad of an end to an otherwise good thing as the end of the Spiderman animated series on FoxKids.

Double because they put a fakeout save phone in a spot you can reach before the boss spawns and you will be kill for trying to use it. I cannot imagine a bigger middle finger to a player than to put that directly after the final boss that has five minuets of loading and cutscenes before you even fight them.

I even beat the second one because I got both for eight bucks and enjoyed every other part of PE leading up to that point.
>>
>>2755213

Just accept that you're mentally deficient and move on.
>>
>>2755225
Back to your thread dog!
>>2747340
>>
>>2755202
In his defense, there is a part where it's easy to accidentally run into the previous room straight into UB due to camera if you're not being careful.

Of course, he obviously didn't get the shotgun if he thinks UB is a big deal. Once you slap everything onto the shotgun, he's a fucking joke.
>>
File: 1412877456543.png (284KB, 623x411px) Image search: [Google]
1412877456543.png
284KB, 623x411px
>games are hard waaaa hold my hand
>>
>>2755231

Are you that same guy who argues with himself in threads and posts weird furry shit?
>>
>>2755201

Daniel is the best character ever
>>
>>2755212

You can't argue that this game didn't have shit dialogue. That isn't to say the script couldn't be compelling at times, but the amount of shit they would shovel was just insulting.

You can't argue that shit like going to meet dr.klamp wasn't forced boring expository bullshit that could have been done more fluidly. It was a piss poor excuse to introduce the overworld map and extend the life of the game.

And when there was actual gameplay, which was quite good, it always felt too brief, and before I knew it I was back at the precinct doing something boring.

Don't get me wrong, I loved what this game was trying to do. The cutscenes really showed how they wanted this to feel like you were watching a legit movie within the game. Too bad they would put you through so much boring chores so you could get to the next bit of weak dialogue.
>>
>>2755279
Pathetic
>>
Chrono Cross

It gets to a point where you stop caring

I guess the beginning was fairly decent though
>>
>>2755279

Nobody is going to read your long winded excuses on why you have poor taste in video games.
>>
>>2755295

lol fuck totally regret not saying
>inb4 one word reply

predictable cuck
>>
>>2755297

keep your nostalgia goggles on for all i care. this game didn't age well.
>>
>>2755213
>Double because they put a fakeout save phone in a spot you can reach before the boss spawns and you will be kill for trying to use it. I cannot imagine a bigger middle finger to a player than to put that directly after the final boss that has five minuets of loading and cutscenes before you even fight them.

This. Fuck this. Whoever thought that was a good idea deserved to be fired on the fucking spot. It's not challenging or difficult, it's just a giant "fuck you" to first time players for no reason whatsoever.

>hurr durr get gud durr hurr

Is this /v/? What the fuck is with all the shitposting?
>>
>>2755208
>>2755207
you are both fucking retards
>>
wow, what a thread full of retarded meming memers
>>
>>2755498
>Is this /v/? What the fuck is with all the shitposting?
sadly it's been like this here for like 5 days now, not sure what happened for these people to flood into here.
>>
>in the middle of reading the novel

It's so weird that they took a body horror book, and turned it into magic.
>>
>>2755279

The actual bossfight was easy. I had double fire and incindiary on the shotgun. The part I am mad about is the sudden death escape that follows it.

I even died thinking this way the lead in to another boss fight. If the whole thing had been reversed where you have to run from the boss and then fight it it would have been okay. But making you run from a boss you just beat and shot with somethint designed specifically to kill it? Cmon
>>
File: Arc_the_Lad_cover.jpg (16KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Arc_the_Lad_cover.jpg
16KB, 256x256px
Jesus Christ this entire thread is Youtube Comments tier.

Anyway pic related, it got so boring the longer I played it and was unbalanced as fuck, not to mention it has way too much focus on its story - which wouldn't be so bad if the story didn't suck anus.
>>
>>2755616
I hated the first Arc the Lad, the game play was dull and the story even more so. I don't understand why this game gets all sorts of praise yet the second game, which is much much better in my opinion, gets pretty much ignored.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 256x245px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 256x245px
boring/no likeable characters, (too many) mediocre mini-games. Tried to enjoy it a few times and always get bored/quit on disc 3.
>>
>>2755624
Never played the second game so I can't comment.
>>
>>2755163
I couldn't beat PE because I couldn't beat the final boss. I probably didn't upgrade my guns right, or however the system worked. I just rented it once in the late 90s and don't remember much about it except some ugly screaming baby.
>>
>>2755163
The game is mad short though. You probably only had about like 4 hours left of gameplay.
>>
>>2755809
i got bored with it at disc 3 too. can barely remember anything other than how annoying and chipper zidane was. easily the worst character from the first 10 games
>>
>>2755840
If we're talking all characters and not just MCs then Rinoa is far worse.
>>
>>2755163
Agreed. This is not a game for ubercasuals with ADHD. Most retro games aren't
>>
>>2755924
Holy SHIT you're an asshole.

>>2755163
The main game in PE is only like 10 hours long (if that) and the post game is where it's at. Most of the gameplay is contained in the post game, most of the weapons and upgrades are in the post game, the true ending comes after the post game. It basically IS the game. If you can't stand the dialogue and such, then just skip through it (not all that hard) or sit through it ONCE, and deal with it.
>>
>>2755929

Go back to reddit.
>>
>>2755929
except the chrysler tower is near impossible until you GRIND THROUGH THE SLOW DRAGGING dialog back to a reasonable level. Otherwise you get your shit packed in after a while. I never had the heart to finish it because i didnt wanna sit through the game story again.

Also i didnt use a guide nor really understand the concept of gun upgrades and had some garbage on start of my NG+
>>
>>2755924
oh look, some one new to the board trying to "fit in"
>>
>>2755931
this isn't /v/, k?
>>
>>2755960
This isn't redit, k?
>>
I want to like MOON but sometimes the gameplay feels repetitive, and the storyline/characterization fairly weak after the initial concept has played out. Do I just end up capturing the souls of all the shit the hero has slaughtered the entire game?

To anyone who's played MOON, UFO or LOL: does it get better
>>
>>2755163
It's a shit game and people won't admit to it being shit.
>>
>>2756168
I plaid Parasite Eve, it was ok.
>>
>>2756168
Its a fairly unique JRPG from the most casual of JRPG maker at the time Squaresoft.

Its not the best thing ever but its definitely not shit. If you don't like the 90's cop sci-fi setting and MITOCHONDRIA as a plot device for -everything- then yeah, but if you suspend belief and go with the flow its a pretty solid 10-15 hour game with a kinda cool mystery dungeon style optional content. Theres also NG+ which is nice.
>>
>>2756173
Casual doesn't mean easy. Is super meat boy easy? Didn't think so.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2756168
I can safely say this game at all. Haven't played it in years and I'm completely hooked again. Still love the pre rendered backgrounds and the gameplay. And sure the dialogue can get a little hammy at times but it's most certainly not terrible

Pic related of course
>>
File: 1478425695124.png (30KB, 219x170px) Image search: [Google]
1478425695124.png
30KB, 219x170px
>>2757989
>forced wide screen
>>
File: 1444966912495.png (499KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1444966912495.png
499KB, 900x900px
>>2758005
I think I'm just gonna stop posting on /vr/ for a bit. I liked it here for awhile, but I don't know what happened, and where all you elitist pricks came from. Every thread it's some douchebag like you with your pepe memes and shit flinging instead of enjoying the games. This place is slowly becoming /v/ 2.0 and really don't see a point in posting here if it's gonna be shitposting.
Might as well merge /v/ and /vr/ if it's gonna be the exact same place. Like I ain't even mad I'm just dissapointed that a good board is slowly becoming shit. I enjoy talking about retro
>>
File: 1421856365256.png (88KB, 1082x1055px) Image search: [Google]
1421856365256.png
88KB, 1082x1055px
>>2758053
maximum triggered
>>
>>2758053
Stretching out the aspect ratio of classic games is disgusting.
If you don't realize that just kill yourself.
>>
File: angrykanye.jpg (22KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
angrykanye.jpg
22KB, 500x350px
>>2757989

>stretching the shit out of PS1 games
>>
>>2758053
Meh, /vr/ has it's phases. For a while, it was almost all shitposting refugees from /v/ (or maybe /b/) and then there was the "tell me what games to play, I'm stupid" phase, where a good 40% of all threads were morons asking about which version of FFVI to play. (which a fucking sticky could still prevent. Mods...)

Right now, it's elitist assholes, pretentious fuckers and collectors, but it's far from the worst that I've seen this board be in general.

I do miss the early days though. That first week, though slow as fuck, was magical.

The main thing that annoys me right now is that any perceived "AAA" series don't really get discussed, and all anyone wants to talk about is "obscure" crap that most of us who were actually alive back then don't give a fuck about.

It would be real nice if /vr/ had like an attached chatroom or something that required an ID check to enter. That way, no one under 25 could get in and ruin the fun. Oh, and collectorfags would get an instant (permanent) ban, of course.
>>
File: 1478445628425.jpg (22KB, 450x240px) Image search: [Google]
1478445628425.jpg
22KB, 450x240px
>>2758138
>It would be real nice if /vr/ had like an attached chatroom or something that required an ID check to enter. That way, no one under 25 could get in and ruin the fun. Oh, and collectorfags would get an instant (permanent) ban, of course.
>>
File: 1393049220502.jpg (105KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1393049220502.jpg
105KB, 540x720px
>>2758138
>It would be real nice if /vr/ had like an attached chatroom or something that required an ID check to enter. That way, no one under 25 could get in and ruin the fun.
>>
>>2758138
A bunch of 20something NEETs bitching about how collectors have ruined the "I buy games to play, but only CIB" market. Sounds like /vr/ last summer.
>>
getting sick of grandia, im about 40 hours in
>>
>be in high school
>find out about PE
>have fun and enjoy the game despite retarded plot and horrible dialogue
>claw my way up every floor of the chrysler building
>spend an hour fighting aya at the top until every last bullet is gone
>keep using parasite energy attacks
>bitch won't die, eventually turn off game
>find out you're supposed to play the game a few times to upgrade one weapon so it does tons of damage
>beat the game about 10 times, still no will to go to chrysler building again

It was a fun game but I never did like the final encounter on the ship.
>>
I remember playing this game a several years ago and getting stuck in that sewer level. I don't know why really, all of a sudden my weapons started doing fuck all damage, I checked and everything was upgraded too, I just don't know.
>>
>>2756206
>Is super meat boy easy?
Yes. It's also an indy game, not retro, and not relevant to the conversation.
>>
>>2758138
>Which a sticky could still prevent
If a sticky doesn't prevent people from posting not retro or people from screaming "DREAMCAST IZN'T WETWO!!!" then it obviously isn't going to stop shit.
>>
>>2758005
>>2758105
You can tell only idiots care about this when both people who responded used le ebin maymayz
>>
>>2759194
Screencap of your SMB times, please.
>>
File: 1439471534586.png (53KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1439471534586.png
53KB, 1000x1000px
It's not even that long. Just finish it.
Day 3 is way too underrated. Besides, if I recall, Day 3 relies on the book's plot, so go read that and shoot back to the game.
Your criticisms do make sense, but for the sum of its parts, it does add up to a great experience once you get the swing of things
>>
File: aya.jpg (27KB, 373x358px) Image search: [Google]
aya.jpg
27KB, 373x358px
I played PE2 back when it came out. Loved it, still do. I didn't play PE1 until I was most of the way through highschool, several years later, and I just didn't like it much. Which makes sense, given that fans of PE1 don't like PE2. I also never got past the final boss; just had no motivation try again. I did like some of the music, and certain areas did look pretty cool.
>>
File: 1419694820869.jpg (74KB, 526x567px) Image search: [Google]
1419694820869.jpg
74KB, 526x567px
>>2759221
>le ebin maymayz

go back to reddit.
>>
>>2755279
>can't argue that this game didn't have shit dialogue. That isn't to say the script couldn't be compelling at times, but the amount of shit they would shovel was just insulting.

I have this problem with the game, too. But I always just chocked it up to a poor translation combined with cultural dissonance. However, PE is still a fun game that I play from time to time.

Square also did much better with the sequel in terms of capturing American expression and sensibilities. I also enjoyed the changes to gameplay there, but not everyone does.
>>
>>2758943
Chrysler Building is actually not that hard, but you can gimp your damage by adding fire or ice to your weapon, which you won't notice until it takes forever to kill a boss for some reason.

Having neither ends up being the better choice.

On the other hand, Acid and Cyanide are always good pretty much all the time.
>>
>>2755840
Fuck that, Zidane was a breath of fresh air after brain washed Cloud and whatever Squall.
>>
>>2755163
You can finish it in one sitting. It's that short.
>>
>>2764305
Chrysler building was great.
My father and I took turns to beat it, he would play after he arrived from work and I would play it after arrived from school and we finished it.
What I don't remember is how much did we grind to achieve that.
>>
>>2764403
you basically just have to explore each floor and fight a boss once in a while.

there are 70 floors and like 7 bosses I think
so only like 60 actual levels, which are just randomly generated hallways and treasure rooms

I wanna say it takes like 5-10 minutes a floor

so it's like a 5-7 hour dungeon maybe? that seems like a lot. I'm not sure it was that long.

maybe it was longer

suddenly I don't know how much time I spend playing videogames

I think I must have played for tens of thousands of hours now that I think about it
>>
>>2764443
Yes you get some great loot in three and after 10 floors you unlock a elevator so you can come back later.
What I don't remember is if we finished it on our second playthrough or if we beat the game a few more times before trying the building.
>>
>>2755163
>games you just couldn't finish

Fucking Final Fantasy Fsix.

I swear I'm the only nigga on this planet that hates that game. I just don't get what people like about it.
>>
>>2755254
>54▶
>>>2755201
>Daniel is the best character ever
Him not being in the sequel made that sequel that much shittier.
>>
>playing Ys 4 Mask of the Sun
>worst classic Ys by far (not counting 3 it's a platformer...and worst)
>pretty late in the game I get stuck becuse of some spikes blocking the door
> can't pass 'em, proceed to look for a switch or something
>nothing
>check out a LP and the guy just destroy the spike, notice he has more lvl than me
>fuck this game
>>
>>2766372
>i suck and have ADHD
Maybe retro games aren't your thing
>>
>>2755809
Disc 1 is god-tier, rest of the game is flawed. It's because it was supposed to be a small standalone spinoff that turned into a main series game so the last 75% of the game was rushed. Shame because there's a lot of things to like about it.
>>
>>2755163
>fuck its dialogue
Its dialogue is great.
>>
>>2755163
i loved parasite eve. one of the best ps1 games i ever played.
>that creepy baby in the ending omg
>the opera music
>>
>>2768406
ew, you sond obscene.
>>
>>2768064
>>2768376
>>2768406
>>2768439
Not retro, idiots
>>
File: 1446185536804.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1446185536804.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>2768645
PS2 is super retro you idiot.

Anything 15 years old or older is retro. Are you going to tell me that in 2000 the original NES wasn't "retro?"

Dumbshit.
>>
>>2755163
>Breeze through PE
>Hit the endboss, run into a brick wall

I just can't time things right at all for dealing with her. I think the game is still sitting on my PSP, so I should go back to finish it one day.

It's a shame, I mostly liked the game, too (Some parts were a little cringey, had to really suspend my belief about mitochondria in-game vs real life), and the atmosphere is top notch.
>>
>>2768834
>I get to re-write the rules because if of my personal thoughts
that's not how things work, hun
>>
>>2768645
do you really think internet yelling NOT RETRO!!! will actually acomplish anything? These are obviously people that don't care about the rules, they aren't going to be "oh my, thins thing I am talking about, it is not retro according to the rules of this board, I best stop talking about it lest I be banned", all that is going to happen is that you will get typical troll responses that will just make the thread worse. Just report shit and move on, don't bother yelling at these people.
>>
>>2769121
I'm sure we've never had this argument before and the moderation team is going to take your carefully proposed points into utmost account. Not really, fuck off.
>>
>>2758138
Amen
>>
>>2769121
>i don't know there are rules because they're in the faq instead of broadcast on the ham shortwave sideband prepper channel
>>
>>2769525
rules are for losers
>>
>>2769121
This was absolutely cringeworthy to read.
>>
>>2769541
>rules are for losers
>follows the rules
>>
>>2769805
how do you now if I follow the rules? top kek
>>
>>2768910
>that's not how things work, hun
Actually, that's exactly how they work. You can't stop someone from talking about it, no matter how many times you white knight the "rules".
>>
>>2769925
Because, um, you're following the rules. If you were really the bad ass rebel you pretend to be it would be simple for you to demonstrate by breaking the rules. But you're a pussy little faggot.
>>
>>2770369
how do you know if i follow the rules? lmao rules are for losers doesnt mean always breaking the rules and doing the opposite like a child. its means doing whatever you think is right and not what others think is right. your interpretation of breaking the rules is a childish interpretation, but you tried.
>>
>>2770435
>i'm a badass rule breaking mofo
>continues to follow the rules
>musters the pea sized balls to call someone childish
>>
>>2770657
whatever mate. i do what i want, dont care about your lame opinion. (i copied this from psp emulation thread)
>>
>>2758138
>It would be real nice if /vr/ had like an attached chatroom or something that required an ID check to enter. That way, no one under 25 could get in and ruin the fun. Oh, and collectorfags would get an instant (permanent) ban, of course.

Can't tell if you are trolling or not, but I support this idea.
>>
>>2758147
Who is the dude on the left in that image?
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.