[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vip/, ma/vr/ick here. I'd like your opinion on a hot-button

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 1391831618569.gif (102KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1391831618569.gif
102KB, 500x500px
Hey /vip/, ma/vr/ick here. I'd like your opinion on a hot-button issue on our board:

What do you define as "retro" in terms of video games?

We've been debating this since the board's inception. Our sticky states:
>This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier.
Do you agree?
>>
It's going to be different for everyone. I mean fuck I still remember blowing all of my allowance at an Aladdin's Castle arcade for years. There's people that were born after the arcade slump allowed to post now. For me Atari is retro but Super Nintendo was not that long ago.
>>
retro ending and "modern" beginning for me is ps2 and original xbox.

I also believe that games and consoles from the early 2000s should be allowed on /vr/ and moved from /v/ but this is just me.
>>
Have the board vote on a number of years (ie "10") or have the mods decide it. Sticky this number.

Warn or ban anyone that posts about a game that has been made within this number of years.

Easy peasy. What number would you pick?
>>
>>66509
PS2 shouldn't be considered Retro.
Gamecube shouldn't be considered Retro
XBOX shouldn't be considered Retro
Nintendo DS shouldn't be considered Retro.
However, time goes by and so these older generations become old, so why not introduce a little brother general of "New Retro?" where you can talk about PS2/GC/Xbox/NDS/PSP vidya? If those waters work out well, you could always venture out into venues.

I still have my old PSP that I used mostly for emulation, however Android took over that for me.
>>
>>66509
Sounds like anything from 1999 or earlier to me.
>>
File: NmHsJmu.jpg (290KB, 1350x1100px) Image search: [Google]
NmHsJmu.jpg
290KB, 1350x1100px
>>66509
Just my personal opinion, but I think there are three different flavors of "retro."

There's ancient retro; i.e. the stuff that's really, REALLY old and near obscure because nobody remembers them nor is there much of a market for it. Think 70s and early 80s arcades and Atari, Intellivision, Colecovision and the like. The people who pine for this stuff are probably in their 40s to 50s.

There's mainstream retro. This is retro for normies, the first thing that comes to most peoples' minds, encompassing the 80s and early 90s, mostly Atari, NES, and Sega Master System and Mega Drive. The N64 and PS1 may or may not be included depending on where you draw the line during the 90s. These are the late 20 and 30-something year olds sporting gaming swag from Hot Topic and Spencer's that consider retro to be synonymous with Mario, Pac-Man, Doom, etc.

And there's post-modern retro; games I like to think that kids born shortly before or after 9/11 grew up with and now consider nostalgic. These include PS2, GameCube, and Xbox games. I would say Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii are off the list but with the 2010's drawing to a close and the eighth generation of consoles winding down with the Switch, PS4 Pro, and Xbox One S/X, they might be included as well. These are mostly teenagers just barely old enough to post on 4chan who unironically say things like "I grew up with Halo."
>>
Anything before the 6th gen (PS2, NGC, Xbox) is retro to me. 6th gen might feel retro someday but for now it doesn't. It feels like the beginning of when modern gaming started.
>>
>>66578
I agree with your first two but I would change modern retro to modern(indie) games made deliberately to feel and play like old games.
>>
>>66581
>modern(indie) games made deliberately to feel and play like old games.
This was quite a surprise to me a few years ago when people started talking about games that would have fit well on the NES in modern gaming. Pixel art became a thing again. Most of the time it's just because it's a few people creating a game from scratch and the quality of the titles were the best they could do with what they've got but some creative and innovative games came out of it.
>>
File: 1423045351478.jpg (7KB, 106x150px) Image search: [Google]
1423045351478.jpg
7KB, 106x150px
mfw a friend's nephew said TF2 was an old game, the senile old grandpa of Overwatch
>>
Probably around a base line of around 18 years works, which, maybe coincidentally, more or less lines up with the /vr/ sticky.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.