[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With all the recent discussion on Half-Life as a series, I’ve

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: gordan and gman.png (2MB, 1601x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gordan and gman.png
2MB, 1601x1080px
With all the recent discussion on Half-Life as a series, I’ve been thinking about it quite a lot. After watching a few videos of G-Man and the games as a whole, I came up with the dumb, but plausible idea that Gordon Freeman and G-Man are actually the same person, just from different locations in time. G-Man, G. FreeMAN.

Before you write this off as a load of garbage, keep reading and let me explain myself. First, let me explain the relationship between Gordon Freeman, G-Man, and G-Man’s employers. Gordon Freeman is obviously depicted as someone who has no choice but to obey G-Man, as shown in the ending of Half-Life 1. He has the choice to either join G-Man, or die in a battle that he cannot hope to win. To this end, Gordon Freeman is entirely controlled by the G-Man. But what’s to say that the G-Man himself doesn’t have the same type of relationship with his own employers? He simply has to do as he’s instructed, which puts him in exactly the same position as Gordon under him. Perhaps even literally. It makes sense that the G-Man would threaten Gordon with death, because he knows he’ll have to accept his offer, or he’s simply following orders in the same manner of the G-Man.

How does this tie into the plot of Half-Life at all, Anon? Why bother making up all this horseshit when it has no place in the story? Well, my theory is that, if Epistle 3 is to be taken as the planned plot of Episode 3, at the end of Half-Life 3, when all hope is entirely lost for humanity, Gordon Freeman is given a job offer similar to that at the end of Half-Life 1. Be destroyed by the Combine, or join with the unknown organization that employs the G-Man.

cont.
>>
>>389373845
BIM BADA BUM
>>
>>389373845
Alternatively, Gordon isn’t given a choice any longer, a la the ending of Half-Life 2. Either way, Gordon Freeman ends up working for the Company, as I’ll call them. At first he merely does grunt work; wiping out planets for resale to the highest bidder, just as he did with Xen in the first game. But over time, Gordon works his way up through the corporate ladder. He earns his place as a higher-up, becoming the G-Man himself.

It also could tie in as to to why the G-Man chose to spark the Black Mesa incident right as Gordon Freeman comes on shift, perfectly timed for him to be the one in the center of the incident with a hazard suit to protect him. Gordan Freeman was chosen, either by himself in the future out of a desire to keep the cycle going, or by his own employers in the future who know he’ll turn out a promising prospect to keep for themselves.

It’s definitely possible as well, in the sense that the G-Man and his employers clearly have a grasp on manipulation of time. At the end of Half-Life 2, G-Man stops time to monologue at Gordon for a bit, before taking him away for planned stasis. If the G-Man is able to stop time on a whim, then I believe it would be safe to say that he and his employers can also travel back in time as well, to validate my own idea.

(1/?)
>>
>>389373845
You're like, the 365219861987 person to think the same and write a fanfic/theory post about it.
>>
>>389373971
Now, the reason G-Man doesn’t simply tell Gordon Freeman that he is himself from the future, is pretty much shown in every single iteration of time-travel fiction ever. By communicating with your past self about the future, bad shit happens. Almost always. Media usually likes to imagine though that subtle influences by one’s future self can make all the difference in securing the future they already have, either by accident or on purpose due to fate. The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world, after all.

This leaves only the plot hole of the Vortigaunts, who manage to help Gordon Freeman resist the G-Man during the Episodes following Half-Life 2. Admittedly, it is a large one that is difficult to fill, but I figure that it can either be explained by the laws of fate, where events may not be predetermined, but will always end the same way, or by the fact that an eternity of being an ageless space god can make a man forgetful. After eons of nigh-godhood with the Company, the G-Man has confidence that the Vortigaunts stand no possible threat to him, or simply forgets about them entirely, resulting in the brief loss of control over the situation the G-Man suffers.

(2/?)
>>
>>389374070
Where does this leave the G-Man? Well, I guess that eventually the prospect of space godhood eliminates the consequences of a time paradox, or the G-Man simply continues to move up in the ranks of the Company, keeping his younger self under his thumb for all time. Gordan Freeman, in the end, becomes the G-Man.

A small point, but one I feel needs mentioning, is that
>pic related
the two do look at least a little bit similar. The darkest hair that the G-Man has can easily be a result of age, even undying age. My father taught me for sure how that works.

Feel free to discuss, point out things I said that are wrong/conflicting in the plot, or call me an autist. I don’t mind as long as we can have another good Half-Life thread on /v/.
>>
really makes you think...
>>
>>389373845
>putting this much thought into a halo ripoff
lolkekl
>>
Here's my theory: even Valve doesn't know what's the deal with him because they didn't planned this shit at all but instead wanted to make up shit as they progressed.
In fact all you have about episode 3 is a what if shitty script, which shouldn't exist if Valve actually had a plot for HL in the first place.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.