[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>start up Natural Selection 2 for the first time in a while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: ExoBattle.jpg (488KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ExoBattle.jpg
488KB, 1920x1080px
>start up Natural Selection 2 for the first time in a while
>load into a map
>it takes FIVE SECONDS instead of 5 minutes
Huh. That's new.

Also, this is the best online FPS ever released, the gameplay is perfect, the weapons and classes are almost perfectly balanced, and every game becomes a complex strategy of expanding your frontline while not being taken by surprise from behind. Marines pushing your resource nodes in one big death ball? Run past them and kill their undefended base. Aliens all went onos? Grab some jetpacks and fly away from them while focus-firing them down.
>>
Is the community still shit?
>>
>>315613565
This is one of those games that I want to go back to but then I realize that I'll get fucking destroyed all the time by people who have been playing for a long time. Too casual I guess.
>>
>>315613565
It's a shame that the playercount died because new players would swarm in on free weekends pissing off all of the regular players leading to them getting an awful first look at the game. When you get two equal teams which don't steamroll the game is perfect.
>>
>>315613565
I'd like the game more if on newbie friendly servers didn't scream/moan about the fact newbies are playing on it.

As well as when both teams are doing decent and their commanders don't fuck everything up for everyone else
>>
>>315613672
I had some fun last night with a server full of people who all agreed that black people are wonderful at flipping burgers and being slaves, and not much else.

>>315613695
You occasionally get a horribly unbalanced team on the smaller servers, but on the big ones it's not much of an issue because the lone-wolf cunts with pinpoint aim/perfect fade harass get killed by attrition. It's a lot more relaxed when you dying doesn't necessarily mean the loss of a node.

>>315613831
>>315613827
2 equal teams is where this game shines beautifully, and people are generally pretty good about shuffling. The occasional one-sided stomp is inevitable when you have a player commander though, some idiot is always going to hop in the seat and do nothing.
>>
>>315614012
I mean I'm sure when two teams are equal the game is amazing, but it seems like a generally unlikely thing, I wish I could get into it more, but getting screamed and people crying in all chat that the newbie fucked everything up is annoying. Even more so when i'm doing about mid-teir compaired to the team.

The community doesn't ever seem like it wants to bother with anyone new, which honestly is going to probably end up being the thing that kills the game.

Granted probably not everyone is like that, but it's just wierd getting so much shit for still playing in a newbie friendly server
>>
I actually prefer combat.

Wish that had not died.

I dunno, I've just never enjoyed vanilla ns2 to the degree that I liked regular ns1.

And I fucking loved combat in ns1 too, the buildmenu shit.

Nothing beats normal ns1 for me though, the first few years.

I remember I was in a fucking 5 hour game in waste. Aliens had everything except waste hive, we were all stuck on that little platform and in the vent. For hours. Aliens kept storming us, and we'd barely survive. They GOT the hive up a few times.

But we kept surviving and eventually got a Heavy train going that was not immediately derailed. And then pushed out and started taking shit and holding it, both teams doing various rush tactics all the while.

Maybe that's why I don't like ns2 as much, I like long games the best, usually. I don't usually get many long back and forth games in ns2.
>>
>>315613831
>I'd like the game more if on newbie friendly servers didn't scream/moan about the fact newbies are playing on it.
On the other hand, I'd like newbies not complain when they join a non-newbie server and get called out on it.
>>
>>315614367
I'm a bit surprised that happens, just a bit, I would suspect admin/vote kicking because it's clearly not meant for new people. But I could understand how that's easily annoying
>>
>>315613831
>>315614236
>>I'd like the game more if on newbie friendly servers didn't scream/moan about the fact newbies are playing on it.
Most of the time this is people moaning about their team having 5 greens while the other team has a bunch of faggots with badges, because it means the game is going to be one-sided as fuck

All you have to do to not get shit on is buy a welder, and follow someone else to help build resource nodes. And never jump in the comm seat as a green. It's not that hard to follow along, and you can always watch a video tutorial or two to pick up pretty much everything you need to know. Kills aren't as important as being where you need to be.

>>315614248
Combat was probably the stupidest fucking idea for a stand-alone game ever. I was pretty happy when it sold 5 copies, because it was just so fucking lazy as a concept.
>>
>>315614520
I'll be honest, if I join a newbie server I'll be completely fine with newbies. I'll even try to guide them a bit.

But it's the worst when you're commander and warn them about danger and they still run into it, or 5 marines get taken out by 1 skulk and your forward base gets taken out while no one phase gates to it.
>>
>>315614530
I actually watched a ton of videos on the game to understand it's basics, and even did the tutorial just in case any big changes happened (Most of the in depth videos where 2-3 years old at the time)

While I can't say that the handful of battles I did, where the norm, most bitching was done when two greens where on the same team, or was used as a pure excuse when everyone on one side was just bad/doing bad.

It's just a mildly annoying thing I don't want to deal with when people freely decide to tell you how shit you are and offer very little in "Okay man, that's clearly wrong, go try X" I don't expect hand holding or everyone to be kind, i get that having a shitty match makes people feel bad, I just don't want to deal with the same shitty behavior that happens in MOBA's
>>
>>315614814
Maybe play for the hour or two it takes to lose the green nametag if you're that upset about it? Heck, play on a combat server, if they're still up, nobody expects any support from others.
>>
>>315614996
It only takes an hour or two? I have five hours played on steam and that's in active games not just sitting with it running.

I figured it was getting a certain amount of points or having victories that randomly decided to take the green off
>>
>>315614814
>>315614530
I wish they would get some proper player skill balancing in. I understand the nostalgia for older systems where it was bumfuck random but there's a reason it's the norm nowadays. It just improves the quality a bit.
>>
>>315615176
The shuffle seems to work pretty well as long as the game isn't horribly tilted by someone with very high ELO against a bunch of people of the same skill level.

The bigger the server, the higher the odds of there being a second MLG cunt to cancel the other one out. There's a player ranking system based on performance.

>>315615140
I'm pretty sure it's just time played. Don't know the exact amount, though, it was just pretty low because I wasn't green after the first day.
>>
I played this game for around 50 hours before shelving it due to performance being shit. My main problem with it is that learning the technique needed to be good is peculiarly tricky. Alien hitboxes seem weirdly unforgiving, getting the alien movement down, and the "player soup" caused by ranged vs melee can be really funky. I know how everything works; its just incredibly difficult to get consistent execution. The game is fucking fantastic otherwise.

Should I get back into it again? Maybe try to main welder/flamethrower/grenade launcher and gorge?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.