[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /v/, /mu/ here. Just bought pic related on the PSN Store

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: demons-souls-boxart.jpg (229KB, 640x738px) Image search: [Google]
demons-souls-boxart.jpg
229KB, 640x738px
Hey /v/, /mu/ here. Just bought pic related on the PSN Store for $6.80.

Never played a Souls game before.
>What am I in for?
>Any tips for beginners?
>Was it worth what I paid?
>Are the other Souls games better? How?
>Heard the game is kind of obtuse in its explanation of mechanics, should I consult some sort of guide before playing?
>Any suggestions for stats, builds, etc.?
>Any general comments for someone about to attempt to get into Souls?

I would appreciate any feedback you guys have, thanks
>>
>bump for any comments or feedback you got, really curious to hear thoughts.

Anything you would have liked someone to have told you before you played it for the first time?
>>
>>292794682
Do not pick royal. Luck is a useless stat.
>>
>>292795719
Cheers man, thank you. Really fucking excited to get into this.
>>
If you're wearing enough armor to go over 50% of your maximum equipment burden, your dodge roll will be much slower than if you were under 50% of your maximum equip burden.
Luck is pretty much a dump stat, don't bother investing in it.
If you're having troubles in one area, try another, once you beat the very first level you have four more areas to choose from.
Pay attention to the "stat bonus" when you're looking at a weapon's information, it tells you how much the weapon's damage will scale to your stats.

Also OPs can't bump their own threads anymore, FYI.
>>
Magic is pretty overpowered as you can easily farm items that replenish your mana. Honestly melee is the most fun but whatever, it is up to you. But magic is generally boring in the game.It can be useful for flying enemies but you could switch to a bow.

If you struggle with an area, try another archstone.

Demon's Souls is still why I have a PS3 so I hope you enjoy it.
>>
Have fun.
>>
>>292794682
This is one of those games where you need to experience it by knowing as little as possible. Just jump in and enjoy the ride.
The only tip I can give you is be persistent and don't give up, no matter how frustrating the game might become. Never look up any walkthroughs etc. Your reward will be one of the best games of the past 10, maybe even 15 years.
>>
>>292794682
Armor is useless. Wear whatever you like. I usually wear the lightest equipment.
>>
Thinly veiled sonnyger circle jerk thread?
>>
Take everything one step at a time, don't attempt to fight too many enemies at once, they become overwhelming very fast. Get used to dying in order to learn what NOT to do. Picking up your bloodstain allows you to retain what you had before you died, dying again before getting it means you officially lost it all. There are sections and bosses that seem completely impossible at first, they can be done with enough practice. Hardest Souls game IMO, but not really the best either. Haven't played a souls game I didn't like, but this game was tormentingly difficult in a lot of places.
>>
>>292795719
>>292795765
don't listen to this faggot
from what I remember, royal was the beat class for sorceries
>>
>>292796013
>>292796025
>>292796214
>>292796229
>>292796334
>>292796549

Screencapping all of these posts for future consultation, really appreciate the responses.

>>292796395
I mean go for it if you want but I'm not loyal to any one company, just wanted to get some talk going about my new purchase

Also how does this compare to the other Souls games in terms of gameplay mechanics, atmosphere etc.?
>>
>>292796395
fuck off jesus christ
>>
>>292796515
Sorry I missed you in my last post, I screencapped that as well
>>
File: vloAh1B.png (1MB, 900x1069px) Image search: [Google]
vloAh1B.png
1MB, 900x1069px
Oh shit, I totally forgot.

Yurt is your friend.
>>
I started a new character once it went on sale, hoping the online community comes back to life a little. Some faggot invaded me at the stonefang mines yesterday. We duked it out with bastard swords. He tried to run, then I backstsbbed him, I know it was one of you fuckers.
>>
Check your corners and be prepared for anything. The game is designed to play off your expectations, and you'll probably die a few times thinking you know what you're doing based on past games experiences.
>>
>>292796717
in my humble opinion
Dark Souls is better in terms of gameplay, equipment, and healing items
Demon's souls has better music, NPC's, level design, attire, enemies, bosses, other items, only slightly worse combat (if only for not having what Dark Souls added), better pacing, better story, better lore, it's an all around better game
the other two aren't even souls games, but you should play them nonetheless
>>
It was so good back when the online was active. Now the worlds really feel completely dead and deserted.
>>
>>292796717
The gameplay mechanics are really the one consistent thing in the series. Bloodborne has a completely different atmosphere and a limited weapon selection and no magic. Otherwise identical to DeS and DS + DSII
>>
>>292796860
God this game's designs look so fucking cool, can't wait to see the enemies
>>292796881
>>292797184
Oh I forgot about the online component, is it always online?
>>292796884
I'm ready for that, just really excited for a solid challenging action RPG to get into
>>292797025
Interesting. From that description it seems like I'll probably like Demon's more, just because of how much I value the stuff you listed under it
>>292797227
Cool, I'm excited to get into Dark Souls as well after this
>>
If you're going magic get firestorm as it wrecks 90% of anything you'll fight. If you go faith get second chance and you'll never die.
>>
>>292796549
> Uses magic
He should listen to me. Because he should not play magic easy mode and cheese his way through like you.
>>
>>292796717
Demon's Souls had the best online. It felt like it fit into the game.
>>
>>292797404
it's always online if you let it be
there's also world and player modifiers called Tendency
World tendency changes how you interact with the world, if you're white world tendency, the game will be easier, but you can only get WWT by not dying
Black world tendency makes the game harder, and can only be attained by dying a lot
character tendency is what happens when you're a good person, black character tendency happens when you invade a lot and kill NPC's
WCT occurs, I believe when performing tasks for some NPCs (I think) and killing bosses
it's kind of a pain in the ass, and many fans are glad it's gone, but you'll probably have neutral tendency for the whole game
good luck
>>
>>292794682
Derek?
>>
>>292797993
Fuck World Tendency
>>
Rape and Death.

Prepare your anus.
>>
>>292797993
oh also
World tendency, when you play online, can be affected by other players, whether you interact with them or not
character tendency can only be changed by you
some parts of the story/items/equipment/areas can only be accessed if a certain tendency is had when you reach it
>>
Go for Royal, best fucking class.

Also, in the tutorial, the first boss is BEATable. use the Royal's soul arrow and just dodge the fucker.
>>
>>292794682
When you find Yurt, he is a FRIEND. Remember he is a FRIEND. Bring him to the nexus
>>
Who the fuck cares if you're from /mu/
>>
Remember. Yurt is an ally of justice.
>>
>>292798198
>>292797993

Don't worry about tendency too much OP, it's fiddly as fuck and you pretty much have to know exactly what you're doing in order to manipulate it in the way you want
>>
Play as a Knight or Soldier and take off all your armor.

Sword and board is pretty much the most fun way to play, and you need the lack of armor for rolling (rolling is super important, practice it).

Beyond that, just be patient.

Oh, and here's another tip: RUN STRAIGHT THROUGH!
Seriously, you can run through a lot of levels without fighting most of the enemies. There's no reason to fight every single one.
>>
>>292796860
>>292798365
>>292798453

Yurt is a dick, if you let him go too far he'll actually make you unable to beat the game. Just kill the fucker the second you see him.
>>
>>292796717
>Also how does this compare to the other Souls games in terms of gameplay mechanics, atmosphere etc.?
It's the first game in the psuedoseries, so obviously the gameplay has been improved upon. Other than that, it's hard to compare. Dark Souls is basically the same game, but with improvements made to a lot of it.

Demon's Souls is still my favorite, though, because it's the only one where weapon scaling is good and there is no above and beyond OP weapon.
>>
>>292798710
Yeah, nice try. Everyone knows that if you kill based Yurt, you'll never get the true ending
>>
>>292798710
Don't listen to this anon, he is lying and trying to fuck up your game irrevocably.
>>
>>292798790

>there is no above and beyond OP weapon.

The Meat Cleaver is pretty ridiculous
>>
File: Best.jpg (79KB, 525x250px) Image search: [Google]
Best.jpg
79KB, 525x250px
Blueblood Sword is best sword but you gotta go through the shittiest area to get it
>>
>>292798710
Why the fuck would you do that? Yurt is the only good companion you get in the game, aside from that fat bastard in Broletaria I guess
>>
>>292798947
But it's matched or outclassed in damage by a bunch of other weapons, like the Northern Regalia or Blueblood or DBS, or fully upgraded Great Axe and Claymore, and then there's always 2kat. Plus you can't upgrade it.

It's great, but there are a bunch of outstanding weapons that it's hard to pick one as the absolute best.
>>
File: 1430006154454.jpg (254KB, 800x710px) Image search: [Google]
1430006154454.jpg
254KB, 800x710px
Here's some more specific tips and tricks and kicks and flips, OP

There's an extremely difficult boss named the Flamelurker that's a nightmare to fight solo because he likes making lunging attacks that create explosions and he's on fucking fire (so don't touch him too much, dipshit). I recommend bringing spells or at least magic damage to the fight if you can't get a summon.
I bring him up because once you defeat him, give his soul to Blacksmith Ed (you should of found him while exploring the first section of the level), and you'll be able to make weapons out of boss souls. If you're using Dex weapons, try and get your hands on the Scraping Spear (can break enemy equipment, perfect for being an asshole in PvP) or Large Sword of Searching ( significantly increases discovery rate, making luck useless), and for strength weapons there's the Meat Cleaver (absorbs enemy HP upon strike, appropriate for a tom and jerry style giant butcher knife) and the Dozer Axe (Just really fuckhuge and does ridiculous amounts of damage)

I hope you have fun with it, OP. It's my favorite game of all time.
>>
>>292794682
pick wanderer, go full dex
also points in vit or whatever they call the health stat are never wasted
>>
I got this too today but for some reason my PS3 downloads things slow as fuck. Only ~320 minutes left until the download is finished
>>
>>292798947

In demon's souls everything is ridiculous, thus balance.
>>
>>292794682
I really hate these questions, GO and play it jackass, why you have the stupid needed of ask /v/
>>
>>292794682

If you get invaded by somebody with some sort of spiky spear take off all your shit those guys are assholes invading solely for sadistic pleasure and will break all your shit before toying with you to death.

Early game fighting those invaders is just futile.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.