[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Tired of Western RPGs recycling Tolkein like worlds What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 40

File: ISF_member_armed_with_RPG-7.jpg (381KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ISF_member_armed_with_RPG-7.jpg
381KB, 1800x1200px
>Tired of Western RPGs recycling Tolkein like worlds

What kinds of setttings would you prefer for you Western RPGs. Anything's applicable with the right amount of imagination.
>>
I'd like to see a fantasy setting based primarily on african culture once
>>
I want a WRPG set in a post apocalyptic setting but with giant mechs..and no, xenoblade does not count, you fucking weebs.
>>
>>285771510
how would that even work?
disregarding that giant mechs are not particularly effective weapons to begin with, they would also by their nature of being giant mechs, require a lot of dedicated and specialized maintenance which would be hard to come by in a post-apocalyptic setting
>>
>>285771465

What? Financial stability?
>>
>>285771465

You mean like they all have jobs and nice cars?
>>
I love the Fallout settings
>>
>>285771261

i want another high school/middle school game like bully.
>>
File: metalwolf.png (741KB, 720x539px) Image search: [Google]
metalwolf.png
741KB, 720x539px
>>285771926
>>
>>285772081
Except that's not an RPG.
>>
File: Pharaoh_Coverart[1].png (229KB, 300x376px) Image search: [Google]
Pharaoh_Coverart[1].png
229KB, 300x376px
>>285771465
>>
>>285772005
nah as in a fantasy setting using various sub-saharan african mythologies as the basis for its setting, as well as using more african inspired environments
>>
More stuff in the World of Darkness/something ripping off WoD just enough to not get sued by White Wolf.

Beyond VtMB, Call of Cthulhu and The Secret World, there's a criminal lack of occultish RPGs.
>>
Cyberpunk
Space

I don't mind high fantasy, but on the condition that is tries to distinguish itself from vanilla fantasy; TES is only Tolkien-esque on the surface, it actually has staggering depth and is perhaps one of the most thought-out/fleshed-out universes I've ever seen.
I wish someone would make an rpg similar in style to Wind Waker
>>
>>285772386
Zone of the Enders
>>
>>285771261

Right now, shadowrun is my favorite scenario.

Post-apocalyptic is becoming as overdone as tolkien shit.

Medieval have a lot of potential, especially high-fantasy (see the eberron scenario for D&D, for example). People just have to move on from Tolkien already.
>>
I want an RPG about a modern conflict. Something like STALKER, but in a modern warzone.

I was playing Far Cry 2 lately and thought how awesome it would be if it was an RPG where you had to pick alliances and build your mercenary team.
>>
Dystopian, surreal world like out of a H.R. Giger painting
>>
I'm working on a dark medieval/western fantasy game. They are quite fun to mix together.
>>
Western developers need to step up their game, because I am beyond tired of Japanese and South Korean shit.
>>
It's annoying that the only historical games that really let you explore the environment are AC games. Just something in an interesting area like the middle east, Rome or whatever would be nice
>>
>>285772925

>Post-apocalyptic is becoming as overdone as tolkien shit.

I want a post-apocalyptic RPG without zombies or similar creatures.
>>
>>285772925

>Post-apocalyptic is becoming as overdone as tolkien shit.

Beyond Fallout, NEO Scavenger and Darksiders, what's been out lately that's been post-apoc?
>>
Dystopian noir. Fuck, I can't wait for Cyberpunk.
>>
Ancient Mayan or Aztec cultures, African mythology, fucking Sumerian or other middle eastern ones. There is a ton of other non-European mythology chock full of new ideas and concepts but no one is willing to take it because it isn't comfortable enough for the audiences to buy into. We don't even see enough cyberpunk or surreal backgrounds like Zdzisław Beksiński, I would pay for a game based on his artwork.
>>
>>285774250
Shadow of the Colossus
El Shaddai
>>
File: 1413666228613.jpg (133KB, 600x857px) Image search: [Google]
1413666228613.jpg
133KB, 600x857px
>>285771261
>pretty much the entire continent of Asia is completely untapped in terms of vidya potential
>developers could make very unique games of all genres based on the many different and varied cultures (see Jade Empire, Asura's Wrath, Shantae)
>they never will since it will never sell and we're always going to get tolkein-inspired worlds
>>
A fantasy world based on early to mid 19th century Europe that's not steampunk-ridden.
>>
>>285775082
Bloodborne :^)
>>
File: Lar9_philippo_001z.jpg (215KB, 1250x624px) Image search: [Google]
Lar9_philippo_001z.jpg
215KB, 1250x624px
>>285775245
That's mostly based on Victorian England which is slightly overdone. I'm thinking more continental Europe, particularly during the revolutions of 1848.
>>
File: 1424384945124.jpg (40KB, 600x362px) Image search: [Google]
1424384945124.jpg
40KB, 600x362px
>>285771261
I want to get them a Japanese writer to think up a setting.

Japan's the kind of place that'll think up an RPG about people going into a world in the TV to solve a string of murders, or a world defined by the conflict between man and machine, set on the petrified corpses of two biomechanical deities, or shit, just the fucking Mario universe.

I think it might help to get someone who isn't constrained by the design biases of western sentiments, e.g. the ubiquity of Tolkien-defined fantasy.

Nintendo, for example, has achieved enormous success simply filtering common western fiction types through their own lens. Link isn't a kid samurai, he's a young boy in a western heroic fantasy story. Samus is a sci-fi heroine in the vein of Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor. Mario is just fucking off-brand Popeye. Even their recent Codename STEAM uses American literary heroes to fight Lovecraftian aliens.

So I would like to see such a product of the inverse, a western studio tackling something whose fundamentals are Japanese. And hopefully it doesn't end up with something distasteful like DmC. And shit, with western devs behind it we might be able to avoid the mandatory high school setting.
>>
I would like more contemporary settings like Earthbound. Being an everyday dude, and banding with some assholes you meet on the street to take down aliens and shit.
>>
>>285774250
>Ancient Mayan or Aztec cultures

Oh god yes please.

Mesoamerican culture is supremely badass yet nobody actually realizes it yet.
>>
>>285775812
>I'm thinking more continental Europe, particularly during the revolutions of 1848.
There's barely any games set in Europe from 1700-1900, despite it being an interesting time period. What a shame.
>>
It honestly is "Tolkein like world" stuff, but I'd love to see modern games which feature Ravenloft for once, instead of generic Forgotten Realms stuff like Neverwinter/Baldur's Gate.
>>
SPORTS
>>
File: 1405732298751.jpg (134KB, 444x1430px) Image search: [Google]
1405732298751.jpg
134KB, 444x1430px
>>285776095
That's because the average person's opinion on the early modern era is that it's basically the same as the renaissance - silly people in poofy costumes doing nothing but writing poetry all day, both assumptions being incorrect.
>>
An RPG with a distinctly Persian influence would be awesome.
>>
File: ge-characters.jpg (132KB, 770x770px) Image search: [Google]
ge-characters.jpg
132KB, 770x770px
>>285775812
There's this old MMO called Granado Espada. Excellent art direction and music.
>>
File: 1353293510900.gif (3MB, 179x223px) Image search: [Google]
1353293510900.gif
3MB, 179x223px
SHIT I WANT TO SEE IN VIDEJO GAMES

>Cavemen (Xenoclash is pretty close, Joe & Mac is one but not exactly what I'm looking for)
>Persian Empire
>Silk Road caravans
>Crusades where you can choose which campaign and which side
>Gauls
>WWII games set in Africa, or where you take the role of a Nazi or Japanese soldier
>Simo Häyhä simulator
>Wild West and pioneer simulator, do prospecting and shit and choose to be an outlaw or some fat cat who's trying to bring industry to the west
>Mount and Blade: Bannerlord
>DnD type game on Wii U

Stuff like that
>>
>>285771261
Play Arcanum.
>>
>>285776095
We had the abomination of Fable 3. Any attempt to do another late industrial era set RPG would get too many people thinking it is going to bomb like that.
>>
>>285771926

TTGL
>>
I just want a big chain of islands to explore set in a huge ocean kinda like wind waker, except you can explore beneath the waves as well. You play as a character that is able to move swiftly through air, land and sea, without breaking speed, and there's stuff to find wherever you go, it isn't just a big empty nothingness. Although, if you just want to chill and take in the lush tropical island atmosphere there are plenty of hidden coves and such for you to chill. Basically my dream game, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
>>
>>285771510
>rpgs with mechs

Why do people do this?

A mech game without any of the fun of piloting a mech.
>>
File: 1418190310041.jpg (27KB, 468x265px) Image search: [Google]
1418190310041.jpg
27KB, 468x265px
>>285776024
I'd love something like New Vegas but set in a not-fucked up 21st century setting like the world we live in, or rather a quirky parody of it like Earthbound.

Getting weapons from a retail store in the guise of baseball bats and frying pans, healing items are just burgers and pizza instead of stimpaks or health potions.

Monsters could be playful, sure there'll be aliens and the like, but imagine stuff like a possessed car or television or an exploding tree or a new age retro hippie.

But I feel like there's too much of a industry demand that if it's gonna be set in the modern era and it's not a linear shooter, it's gotta be a crime sandbox.
>>
>>285776729

Fable 3 bombed because of the mechanics, not the setting.

The only way the setting could get fucked would be if fedoralord faggots try to twist it to steampunk. Otherwise, Industrial Revolution era would kick ass.
>>
>>285771926
Every Armored Core game is set pre, mid, or post apocalypse.
>>
I'd like to see a Tolkien-like world where technology has actually progressed alongside magic to the point where normal people can use magic like electricity; powering machinery and lighting up cities and generally progressing beyond shit-eating medieval peasants. JRPGs have done this shit for years, why not the west?
>>
>>285777042
I remember this one paper and pen RPG that was this alternate history Victorian fantasy Steampunk with emphasis on the Victorian, being that the focus was about life in London in the year 1867.

The Steampunk wasn't all that ugly sprocket orgy that gets shown everywhere, but more along the aesthetics of the time.

The alternate history stuff was a bit wonky at times with shit like the American Civil War never happening, Russia being a Matriarchy run by a black widow of a queen, The British Empire being still stuck in a war with Russia over Crimea.
>>
File: spooks.jpg (53KB, 400x923px) Image search: [Google]
spooks.jpg
53KB, 400x923px
deep sea. a bunch of interlocking stations and a free roam in the water. futuristic so its actually playable (advanced scuba gear etc.). and you fight shit like pic related
>>
>posts about western RPGs
>image is of a Russian RPG
Good job OP you fucking dumbshit
>>
>>285772386
Farcry2?
>>
>>285776027
I wouldn't mind some God of War rip-off based on Mesoamerican mythology. Plus you can actually have blood as a mechanic because of the human sacrifices.
>>
File: Once-Upon-a-Time-in-the-West.jpg (109KB, 750x543px) Image search: [Google]
Once-Upon-a-Time-in-the-West.jpg
109KB, 750x543px
>>285771261

I would like a western Western RPG
>>
File: 1395547553672.jpg (25KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1395547553672.jpg
25KB, 500x375px
>>285778737
>BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD simulator
>>
>>285778750
How about a melding of the Wild West and feudal Japan?
>>
>>285779223
no, a real western. stop that
>>
>>285779284
Westerns are influenced by Japanese cinema anyway.
>>
File: 1255913423183.jpg (204KB, 1119x954px) Image search: [Google]
1255913423183.jpg
204KB, 1119x954px
The dark tower. Gunslinger
>>
File: 1390280347207.jpg (55KB, 335x430px) Image search: [Google]
1390280347207.jpg
55KB, 335x430px
A western RPG set in Japan!
>>
File: cbfd.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
cbfd.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>no RPG based on Conker's Bad Fur Day 2
>no caveman fighting dinosaurs RPG
>no RPG based on the Green Mile
>no RPG based on Arsenic and Old Lace
>no RPG based on Shindler's List
>no RPG based on your favorite cunny
>>
>elves are see-through glowing 3-armed beings that make a lot of music and play it on electric fish instruments
>dwarves came from space in a meteorite and are now obsessed with finding a way back to the stars, they grow beard fur all over their bodies except their hands which have like a million fingers each, also they live in hives
>orcs are made of wood and can't move fast at all, but they get high on being set on fire and stuff
>humans are the clear physical pinnacles of the planet, capable of fucking up nearly everything else, except they are clinically retarded and have difficulty even forming simple tribes
>dragons are dream monsters that only exist on the neural plane
>magic is tied to money, you literally have to pay the gods every time you want to use a spell
>setting is on an inside-out world, with a few holes to the barren, pock-marked outer shell
>gnome/hobbit/shortstacks are exactly 3 feet tall, have featureless faces, and all are shaped exactly the same, seem to communicate telepathically, industrious as fuck, always fighting dem mind dragons
>giants have dark skin, dis-proportionally long limbs, bald, and wear baggy clothing, each tribe has a sacred Rock that they carry around, it is red-hot so they have to keep on passing it to eachother or bouncing it along the ground
>lizardfolk are the scribes of the world, always notating everything and storing all their knowledge in vast monestaries, very religious, also have smokin' hot asses
>>
>>285771261
1920s America. Basically the Great Gatsby the RPG.
>>
>>285780113
I don't even care if some of this is ridiculous, more ideas like this would be amazing.
>>
I'd like to see a "through the ages" fantasy game. Start in a high fantasy medieval period, watch as magic wanes into the industrial age, and surges back in a more modern setting. Hell could probably put aliens there, don't recall magic and them coming together.

Only games I know that do something like that is Dominions, Arcanum, and the Fable series.
>>
File: cant argue with that.jpg (54KB, 324x289px) Image search: [Google]
cant argue with that.jpg
54KB, 324x289px
>>285780113
>lizardfolk are the scribes of the world, always notating everything and storing all their knowledge in vast monestaries, very religious, also have smokin' hot asses
>have smokin' hot asses
>>
>>285772925

depends on the kind of post apocalyptic.

every post-apoc is EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF right now, i'd like to see a post apocalypse where you have to survive and thrive with large communities and where there's no annoying underlying theme of everything before the happenings is forgotten and lost forever.

Something like, suddenly parts of the world become trapped in impenetrable zones that isolate them and then the speed at which time transcurs starts desynchronizing in the different zones.
>>
Something subterranean would be cool. Dark elves and mind flayers and other nasty things.
>>
File: 1404450601781.png (328KB, 619x530px) Image search: [Google]
1404450601781.png
328KB, 619x530px
>>285780113
>mfw some of these are actually pretty good
>>
>>285772363
Sub-saharan africa hasn't been done a lot.
Though naturally every dev is scared to death of touching it since if they get it wrong or the wind happens to be blowing exactly 46 degrees southeast the sjw's will fuck them into oblivion

>>285778258
where does eastern europe even fall in the weeb/normalfag war

>>285780945
>i'd like to see a post apocalypse where you have to survive and thrive with large communities
this is RIP forever due to the survival gaming community, which will aggressively destroy any such fantasies no matter how much effort the devs waste trying
>>
File: mmmmmmario.png (181KB, 452x505px) Image search: [Google]
mmmmmmario.png
181KB, 452x505px
>>285780113
>giants have dark skin, dis-proportionally long limbs, bald, and wear baggy clothing, each tribe has a sacred Rock that they carry around, it is red-hot so they have to keep on passing it to eachother or bouncing it along the ground
you mean NBA niggers?
>>
File: 1412884798091.jpg (2MB, 2165x2842px) Image search: [Google]
1412884798091.jpg
2MB, 2165x2842px
>>285771261
I see you, OP.
>>
Something like NieR. Post-apocalyptic, but not like Fallout. Back to swords and bows with traces of past civilizations.
>>
>you are a dragon who lives in the mountains and protects a nearby village in exchange for food, all the townspeople like you
>fly down one day to the village square
>"lookit what farmer john bought, it's a new piece of machinery. they call it a 'tractor'!"
>you realise that the world is progressing around you and the time where individual villages need protection from raids etc. has long passed. the world is stable and industrialising and,in the face of machineguns and anti air guns there's not much you could really do anyway
>so you gather your meagre hoard and sell it on the market and use the money to buy a ship, a crew, a bunch of equipment, and some ads in the paper
>you gather your settlers and your small fleet and set sail across the oceans to the dark continent
>like america, but sea serpents in the coast made it almost impossible to reach and the wildlife is vicious, so it couldn't be colonised. until now
>after a hard-fought voyage (literally hard fought against water nymphs and sea serpents) you make landfall
>initiate RTS/grand strategy of establishing a colony and turning it into a prosperous settlement, with RPG elements
>tribal lizardfolk see you as a God, integrate into colony y/n
>savage tree elves kill your settlers etc. etc
>native wildlife is brutally deadly but could be used to plow the land
>buy tanks from the mainland to use to defend the colony y/n?
>spend a decade's harvest to buy a battleship to park in port?
>basically, conquer the land from evil savages with the wonders of dieselpunk SCIENCE!
>when your colony is set up and prosperous you hear word from the homeland
>world war one has begun
>shall we intervene?

I dunno it was just an idea.
>>
File: sokotoreenactors.jpg (273KB, 1230x840px) Image search: [Google]
sokotoreenactors.jpg
273KB, 1230x840px
an Africa inspired setting would be pretty baller
>>
>>285781582
>tolkein
>medieval
>high
these are all the same

>modern times
>shibuya
the same

>world war II
I see niggers with plate armor and lances, how the fuck is this shit WWII
>>
>>285780113

>literally paying Gods to cast spells

my god this is amazing.

>Charisma is no longer a dump stat. Mages now have a reason to be productive instead of jerking off in towers.

>Magic and Divinity line is blurred.

>Gods that don't believe in material wealth require mages to sacrifice their blood or health in order to cast spells.

>Wealthy people pay mages to protect them and do their bidding.

>Some people are addicted to magic. They burn through their savings just to feel blessed by the Gods, or to make stupid shit out of magic etc.

>Gods hide the treasure they accumulate in dungeons, teasing adventurers (their puppets) to challenge them.

>nicer Gods are sneaky. Trying to help people. Can't give away magic or other Gods try to kill them. They attempt sneaky charity and bless good souls in unorthodox manners in order to keep their charity secret.

Fucking christ.... This is cool.
>>
>>285781828
if ur a nigger
>>
File: 1425059835484.jpg (216KB, 634x808px) Image search: [Google]
1425059835484.jpg
216KB, 634x808px
>>285780126
See, that'd be cool.

>start as a scrappy booze smuggler escorting barrels up and down the Mississippi(or a fake river that's kind of Mississippi-esque if we're going to be GTA parody-America about it)
>eventually become a respected enforcer hashing out deals with speakeasies
>endgame has you as a dandy bootlegger, well respected in the community with your own luxury mansion and a dozen nightclubs all hidden

Personally I'd just like more games featuring the classic drum Tommy Gun.
>>
File: 5020420730_f72655b875_b.jpg (283KB, 950x649px) Image search: [Google]
5020420730_f72655b875_b.jpg
283KB, 950x649px
>>285781828
>>
>>285771261
Spaghetti Western RPG. Closest thing I can think of is Wild Arms but that series is dead.
>>
>>285781828
if you can use Bwaka Knives, I'm down
>>
>>285781916
>>285780126
how are these RPGs though, it sounds to me like you just want a GTA clone but in the 20's. which would be awesome, but that ain't an RPG.
>>
>>285781867
>tolkein
Now read OP.
>>
File: dhalsim's 6th alt costme.jpg (72KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
dhalsim's 6th alt costme.jpg
72KB, 615x409px
>>285781940
>>
>>285782234

>That filename
>Imagining his Yoga Flame coming out of the exhaust pipe
>>
File: eepa_06249.jpg (271KB, 1230x840px) Image search: [Google]
eepa_06249.jpg
271KB, 1230x840px
>>285781940
>>
>>285782116
because you're thinking in RPGS with turns sytems or something between lines. think in RPGs like the ones in pen & paper
>>
>>285781867
Also about that other shit you said, just because you are ignorant on videogames doesn't mean you are allowed to show off your stupidity. That's not a lance, its a bazooka with a pointy end. Game designers call it stylization.

>b-b-but muh realism
top lel it's not a simulation you fucking nerd, it's an RPG.
>>
>>285782480
oh. I don't like those, putting stats and rolls into things that ought to be dynamic and fully free just seems wrong to me.
>>
>>285781436
>Though naturally every dev is scared to death of touching it since if they get it wrong or the wind happens to be blowing exactly 46 degrees southeast the sjw's will fuck them into oblivion

Nah, it's weird how much the dialogue can change in a few years.

RE5? People got upset because the recurring white protagonist was fighting black people, who are zombies, in Africa. And this was after years of gunning down white zombies.

Black Ops 2 comes out, the opening level is set in Africa, and said level has a challenge wherein the white American protagonist is encouraged to massacre as many African soldiers as he can with a machete during the opening sequence. Not zombies or anything, just normal African soldiers.

And nobody fucking blinks because we're all concerned about female representation.

If anything, an Africa-inspired setting with some decent gameplay decisions behind it would be a critical darling for everyone besides the usual /pol/ expats.
>>
What about Indonesia? I don't know jackshit about Indonesia, but I bet there's some awesome history.
>>
>>285782661
what the fuck?
>>
>>285782159
I have no idea what you're implying. I know that I'm certainly implying that if you thought that image would "set OP straight" and tell him off by proving the multitude of varieties of RPG settings, it failed.

>>285782484
how the fuck was I supposed to know it's a bazooka, it looks like a lance. you still haven't answered why they're both wearing plate armor, or why it's even stylized like a lance in the first place. Don't get me wrong, shit is cool. But how the fuck is that WWII.
>>
>>285782661
is an example. have you heard of Age of decadence? is a RPG where you can roleplay into more things than just a soldier, like for example scholars, politicians, burglars and similar. imagine getting into the late game with a scholar with a silver tounge without having got never into a fight (because if you do, you're a dead man)
>>
File: zulureenactment_wonen.png (869KB, 780x436px) Image search: [Google]
zulureenactment_wonen.png
869KB, 780x436px
>>285782728
>Black Ops 2 comes out, the opening level is set in Africa, and said level has a challenge wherein the white American protagonist is encouraged to massacre as many African soldiers as he can with a machete during the opening sequence. Not zombies or anything, just normal African soldiers.
Well, he's massacring Angolan soldiers on the behalf of an Angolan rebel force whom the Americans have thrown their lot in with. There's a sequence you don't see if you just go where the game tells you, but if you glance to the side at one point you see the rebels you're fighting for tossing government soldiers into a pit and shooting them.

Also
>tfw no Zulu gf
>>
File: congo king.jpg (134KB, 640x437px) Image search: [Google]
congo king.jpg
134KB, 640x437px
>>285783056
>tfw no numerous Congolese gfs
>>
one thing about an africa inspired setting, I wonder how the SJW's would react if the big bad wasn't the Europeans because during medieval times they didn't actually go there (and actually had a lot of respect for Ethiopia) but rather the bad guys were africans themselves or an arab equivalent (which was historically accurate)
>>
>>285783182
at least three of those are clearly men
>>
>>285783258
Shit, man, just make everybody look like they're from somewhere in Africa, whether they be sub-Saharan or some Arab from North Africa.
>>
How do you make anything medieval fantasy without being called Tolkien-esc?
>>
File: 1401531073380.jpg (305KB, 2165x1842px) Image search: [Google]
1401531073380.jpg
305KB, 2165x1842px
>>285782946
>I have no idea what you're implying
Yeah, I know that now because...I posted the wrong image

>how the fuck was I supposed to know it's a bazooka
Because you are suppose to play videogames, specially PC exclusive videogames, you fuck.

>But how the fuck is that WWII.
Because the story is literally about WWII, with Hitler as the final boss.
>>
I'd love to see a western RPG that's actually inspired by, and loyal too, the themes and imagery of Tolkiens work instead of the bullshit that's superficially following the visuals and themes from the movies.
>>
>>285783573
No elves, dwarves, et cetera. No standard fantasy monsters.

It's not so much Tolkein as it is Dungeons and Dragons, which got its inspiration from Tolkein.
>>
>>285781867
>how the fuck is this shit WWII

someone doesnt know about poland
>>
>>285783573
No elves, dwarves, orcs and halflings would be a start.
>>
>>285783682
>TES
>Tolkien
...you're probably even serious are you
>>
>>285780113
>>magic is tied to money, you literally have to pay the gods every time you want to use a spell
That's pretty much how you progressed in pic related. You offer magic gear to the gods and advance your skills and unlock new ones.

Even though it was a mediocre game I enjoyed it a lot.
>>
File: 1392966911591.jpg (14KB, 381x250px) Image search: [Google]
1392966911591.jpg
14KB, 381x250px
>>285781867
That lance is actually a rocket launcher.
>>
>>285783182
The history of the Congo is hilarious
>15th century ish
>Portuguese become bros with the Kongo Kingdom
>Portuguese become enemies with the Kongo Kingdom's trading partners
>King of Kongo writes a letter to the King of Portugal asking him to stop enslaving their neighbours, because now they have nobody to trade with and if they do find someone who wants to trade they only want slaves
>"pssh, nothin personnel, kid"
>Portuguese start enslaving the Kongo people

And then the Belgians showed up
>>
File: Loki_(video_game).jpg (54KB, 256x362px) Image search: [Google]
Loki_(video_game).jpg
54KB, 256x362px
>>285783940
Forgot picture.
>>
I'd like something with Caribbean pirate setting, Risen 2 had the right idea going.
It's bit more modern so you can have guns, but still enough in the past that there can also be voodoo magic and all kinds of other things.
>>
File: Nyimi Kot a-Mbweeky III.jpg (420KB, 840x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Nyimi Kot a-Mbweeky III.jpg
420KB, 840x1230px
>>285783349
If I was the King of a sub-national African province I'd probably fuck anyone I wanted too

Look at this guy, he's dual wielding. What a card.
>>
File: 1378540452116.jpg (68KB, 310x400px) Image search: [Google]
1378540452116.jpg
68KB, 310x400px
>>285784002
African history in general is pretty much

>europeans pls go
>no
>>
>>285783682
>When JRPGs do it it's called "High Fantasy"

lel

But seriously, RPG's do have more diverse settings. Unfortunately, like WRPGs, many of them aren't very good. I always found the best settings - not the best games, but settings - to be in the games with the most detail in their worlds. Tales of Destiny is a good example.
>>
>>285784002
don't forget the arabs were also enslaving them
heck in belgium there's a statue dedicated to leopold II and his heroic attempt to save the congolese from the arab slavers

yes this thing still exists, in a rather public place at that
>>
I'd be down for a WRPG in some kind of Golden Sun-esque setting where you got to travel all around the world. It was actually pretty fucking cool to play the second game and travel all around India, Africa, Australia, Oceania, and the Americas.
>>
>>285784247
or in case of Ethiopia
>italy pls go
>no
>...wait how did we get kicked out again
>>
File: kuba duel among priests.jpg (2MB, 1525x1089px) Image search: [Google]
kuba duel among priests.jpg
2MB, 1525x1089px
>you will never be an African witch Doctor whose juju is called into question
>you will never demonstrate your mojo by challenging the village's other witch doctor to a fight to the death
>>
>>285784247
When Euros came into contact with Sub-Sahara Africa, mostly yea. Ethiopia managed to remain an independent kingdom for a long time, but even the Italians finally colonized them.
>>
WRPG with a Wind Waker-esque overworld, where you travel around Polynesian islands.
>>
>>285784553
Italians conquered them for like 6 years in total and only managed it right on the eve of WWII

that's not colonization, that's just a hostile occupation
>>
File: ayy italy.png (36KB, 1697x254px) Image search: [Google]
ayy italy.png
36KB, 1697x254px
>>285784451
Well, they won the second time, though they resorted to committing war crimes like they were going out of style.
>>
I would like a pirate-wrp that is based on old sailor's tales. flying dutchman, sirens, and so forth
>>
File: Nyimi Kok Mmabiintosh III.jpg (65KB, 512x503px) Image search: [Google]
Nyimi Kok Mmabiintosh III.jpg
65KB, 512x503px
>>285784501
I want this guy's golden spade thing
>>
I'm actually shocked there aren't more people shitting on Africa's history in this thread. Well done, /v/.
>>
File: 1415147630707.png (105KB, 256x440px) Image search: [Google]
1415147630707.png
105KB, 256x440px
>>285777958
What the hell is that thing?
>>
File: The_Cowl_of_the_Gray_Fox.png (543KB, 595x770px) Image search: [Google]
The_Cowl_of_the_Gray_Fox.png
543KB, 595x770px
>>285784501
>google this
>apparently when a priest first puts on his mask, he assumes the mask's identity and sheds his old one
>the mask is passed down to his successor, and the same thing happens
holy shit it's real
>>
File: 3.jpg (244KB, 1456x1049px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
244KB, 1456x1049px
>>285771261
>What kinds of setttings would you prefer for you Western RPGs. Anything's applicable with the right amount of imagination.
I do fictionbuilding as a kind of hobby, and it started originally as a background draft for a hypothetical (and strictly theoretical) RPG design excercise. So I have to say I would love to see an RPG set in the world I've been putting together for the last few years, obviously.

That aside, I think ANY setting other than the stereotypical fantasy tropes would do. Hell, even more good medieval-based fantasy RPG's would be good, if they WERE actually based on proper research and proper world building.

It's really difficult to name a possible setting that I would NOT want to see in an RPG outside of Forgotten Realms/WoW/Elder Scroll derisions.
I would kill for a good RPG set in medieval Arabia, inspired by Thousand and One Nights. I would absolutely fucking LOVE to play a cRPG based on relatively realistic depiction of medieval Japan.
I would love to see something set in central Asia.
I would really like to see another attempt on modern spy-world settings alla Alpha Protocol (except preferably less broken).
I would love to see a more hard-sci-fi based futuristic space-set RPG.
I think Dune is a setting that could make up for good RPG's.
I'd love to see RPG's based on colonial era, or set in South America in 19th century.

I would love to see RPG's with more surreal worlds. I think translating the kind of ambience that Kafka, Bulghakov or Schulz have in their books could work incredibly well in a non-combat focused RPG.

Really, anything could work. It's just that people aren't willing to take that kind of risk.
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.