[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people who don't like first person platforming

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

File: mirrors-edge.jpg (405KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mirrors-edge.jpg
405KB, 1920x1200px
>there are people who don't like first person platforming
How does it feel being bad at video games?
>>
>>285444137

Mirror's Edge was one of the best games of last gen

BELEE DAT, OP
>>
File: wtf.jpg (47KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
47KB, 600x390px
>There are people that thought there's wasn't enough shootan in that game
>>
>>285444137
Because only 2 games have done it right

Mirrors Edge and Dying Light
>>
>>285444889
>Mirror's Edge was one of the best games of last gen
Mirror's Edge is one of the best games of last gen

FTFY

that game was a revolution
it inspired so many games

there was before it and there is after it

that game will be a fucking legend exactly like doom was one
>>
>>285445075

>it inspired so many games

like what? I'd be curious to play them too. Dying Light obviously, but what else?
>>
>>285444137

agreed. the story was absolute forgettable shit though.. very fun however
>>
>>285444137
I need mirror's edge 2
>>
>>285445202
AC 4
GTA 5
etc.

any game where there is the movement to pass a barrier
any game where you climb a wall rapidly
etc.

there are so many moves that diffuse through all the games slowly but surely

since that game first person are slowly integrating parkour moves, and ME was the leader

in 10 years all the moves will be present in any first person game
>>
>>285445539
>AC 4
>GTA 5
AC came out before ME, SA had vaulting way before that.
>>
File: mirror's edge burfield.jpg (2MB, 8640x1800px) Image search: [Google]
mirror's edge burfield.jpg
2MB, 8640x1800px
>You can replay the game only once a year to avoid getting bored of or from memorizing the game
>>
>>285445827
>>AC 4
sorry it's AC3 not AC4
>AC came out before ME
AC3 2012
ME 2008
>SA had vaulting way before that
that was not the same move
in GTA5 it's the one coming from ME
it's more fluid

i never say the ME was not inspired by other games like Prince of Persia 2, the sand of time
>>
>>285446273
>AC3 2012
AC didn't start with 3, you moron. There were no major improvement in AC movement throughout whole series on 7th gen.
>that was not the same move
What does this even mean?
>>
>>285446273
AC came out in 2007, check mate retard.
>>
>>285446653
>AC didn't start with 3, you moron
moves coming from ME are present in since the 3, there were not there before
>What does this even mean?
have a look at the video
you're comparing climbing and passing
one is fluid one isn't
that fluidity came from ME

>>285446654
bis
>>
>>285446945
Can you please write in english so I can understand you?
>>
>>285446945
>moves coming from ME
Fluidity of animations has nothing to do with "same moves". And yet again, AC had fluid parkour year before ME.
>>
>>285446945
>>285446273
>>285445539
Look, I absolutely love Mirror's Edge, I have it on PS3, on PC as a disk version and on Steam, but saying it inspired GTA V and AC3 is really quite a reach.
>>
>>285447118
>Fluidity of animations has nothing to do with "same moves".
that's an inspiration coming from ME
since that game, I notice that many games try to be more fluid when running, jumping barrier etc.

>>285447228
>but saying it inspired GTA V and AC3 is really quite a reach.
it it one of the greatest inspiration in games
just have a look at fluidity of movement in games, since ME it improved, before ME it was shit, and there was no progress
>>
>>285444137
Damn son, i literally JUST came here on /v/ after replaying some missions.

Does any game have similar first person parkour like Mirror's edge? I can't wait for the sequel.
>>
>>285447392
>since that game, I notice that many games try to be more fluid when running, jumping barrier etc.
It has nothing to do with ME, but processing power and rising budgets instead.
>>
It's hard to go back to tradition FPS after Mirror's Edge. Like getting off a trampoline after an hour of straight bouncing.
>>
>>285447392
I'm sorry mate, but go back to school. Assassins Creed did fluid movement a year before Mirrors Edge did it. Mirrors Edge was inspirited by AC and not the other way around. And the biggest reason most games has fluid animations today is motion capturing.

>>285447735
There are 2 developers working on parkour games on /agdg/. One has only first person camera, and the second one has third person only at the moment but is aiming to have both.
>>
>>285447823
>but processing power and rising budgets instead
no it was not a technical limitation, game designers and developers just didn't know where to go
ME show them the path

>>285448056
>Assassins Creed did fluid movement a year before Mirrors Edge did it
not that one of passing a barrier during running
i spent many time on AC2, i know well that game, and one of the first thing i notice and say about AC3 is "ho, they took that move from ME"
>>
>>285448056

We're talking first person games, bro
>>
>>285448229
Mate, what the fuck are you talking about? Passing a barrier?
>>
>>285448361
Maybe you should learn to read bro.
>>
>>285446147
>not replaying it every month
>>
>>285448419

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUdaOxKpkaY

@ 2.43, that move

@ 1:54, we see a move that start to appear in first person, but slowly
>>
>>285448229
>ME show them the path
I think you might be seriously delusional.

If there were inspiration for utilizing better animation systems, it's AC, GTAIV and Uncharted. But there weren't, it's just about the rise of quality and expectations from major IPs.
>>
>>285448975
>better animation systems
not animation, but moves
that's not the same thing

>it's just about the rise of quality and expectations from major IPs.
why that rise of fluidity in moves begin just after ME and not before?
>>
>>285448837
At 1:54 she runs on a plank and jumps. At 2:43 she kicks a door. So it's pretty fucking clear that you're crazy mate.
>>
>>285449164
strange, there is a shift in time

1:54
just after she slides under something
it's the move

>2:43
just before kicking the door, she pass something with a little "jump"
that's the move that appear in AC3 and was not in AC2
>>
>>285446147
>not just getting extremely high and playing it on oculus
>2015

nigga come on, it's the future and you're letting it go
>>
File: es-s71s14.jpg (15KB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
es-s71s14.jpg
15KB, 320x213px
>>285449161
>but moves
Are you seriously retarded? If you didn't know, ME didn't invent any vaulting animations, they were mocapped from someone who knows parkour. There are no "special moves" and unique skills in parkour, all people use the same motions because it's the most efficient way to move.
>why that rise of fluidity in moves begin just after ME and not before?
Animations began to make major steps forward during mid 2000s, it's like you never played Half-Life 2 or Dark Messiah.

Also, just before ME and same year:
GTAIV
Uncharted
AC
>>
>>285449701
>ME didn't invent any vaulting animations
moves
not animations
please understand the difference between those two notions

yes it's ME which invented it
show me there in another game before ME
show me those moves

>Animations began to make major steps forward during mid 2000s, it's like you never played Half-Life 2 or Dark Messiah.
those games have the shitty MOVES (not animations, maybe you're talking about something else), that exist before ME

>Uncharted
>AC
show me the move at 1:54
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUdaOxKpkaY
you can't it doesn't exist before ME
search for it, i gonna explain to you why it isn't the same move
>>
>>285450263
She slides at 1.54, do you seriously believe Mirrors Edge invented characters that can slide?
>>
>>285450263
>please understand the difference between those two notions
>MOVES (not animations
Please learn how to speak english.

>yes it's ME which invented it
Okay, you're retarded.
>>
As a woman, I found it hard to control.
>>
>>285444137
I don't like platforming in any person. But I've been playing games since the early 90s when platforming was still skill based.

I liked Mirrors Edge, that game was izi modo.
If they make more games like that I'd play em.
>>
>>285444137
What does having an opinion have to do with being bad at video games?
>>
>>285450576
show me a game where you can sliding with that fluidity (not with a halt) under obstacles before ME
show me

>>285450629
>Please learn how to speak english.
you're talking about something else
all the dictionaries agree with my word, you just don't understand about what I'm talking

>>285450629
>>yes it's ME which invented it
>Okay, you're retarded.
OK, show it to me before ME
prove what you say

i wanna see that move with that fluidity, not with a fucking stop just after the move
>>
Everywhere looks pretty
>>
>>285450754
>I liked Mirrors Edge, that game was izi modo.
Most people ("official" and user reviews) thought it was too hard at release, which says a lot about the people these days.
I agree though, there should really be more games like it.
>>
>>285451102
Pfff, I think it was pushing too easy at some parts. The ability to run up to a dude and fuck him up - because we all know skinny asian chicks have the super power to KO people twice as heavy as they are with a single slap - was casual tier. I passed the stage with the big hole drainage thing by running around and beating cops up.

Immersion breaker if I've ever seen one.
>>
>>285452019
It's not exactly clear how much, but some of that can be attributed to EA. They insisted on having guns be usable in the game, and I'm convinced they also pushed for more combat. Having to avoid combat alltogether would have been better, and it's still possible in the final release, hence the trophy/achievement for completing the game without firing a gun/defeating someone.
And it wasn't only the combat, people apparently couldn't figure out where to go, which shows just how casual players have become today. I just don't know why games have to be so easy nowadays. A good example is Pokémon, Ruby/Sapphire weren't exactly hard games, but compared to the new remakes they are about ten times as hard. I just hate how things are right now.
>>
>>285452019
she was trained by merc
she's not a fragile little girl
she is an independent woman
>>
>>285452019

hard with no guns could be difficult
especially the final levels
>>
>>285452782
you just have to run
>>
>>285445827
>SA had vaulting way before that.

Prince of Persia The Sands of Time you fucker

Ubisoft is the master platformer dev like it not
pretty much any game they make has a fucking climb mechanics and shit
>>
>>285447228

It isn't "quite a reach" it is pants on head retarded to think Mirror's Edge influenced GTAV and AC3
>>
>>285445202

Is dying light any good? Thinking of picking it up on ps4 but I want it to drop in price before making any commitments
>>
>>285455178
I had lots of fun with it
>>
>>285454773
i'm still waiting for the proof that the move of "jumping" a barrier exist before ME

here you're just insulting me, but you failed to show any proof
>>
>>285447735
Dying light has objectively superior parkour
>>
>>285455668
Wisdom.
>>
>>285455657

I'm sorry, are you trying to claim that the concept of fucking vaulting an obstacle originated with Mirror's Edge?
>>
>>285455178
I spent many many hours with this game it really is fun. Altough the main story is dull but there are good side quests you can do.

Was totally wort the 60 bucks
>>
>>285444137

I'm working on a first-person platformer right now. What kind of stuff do people want to see? I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>>285456375
>fucking vaulting an obstacle originated with Mirror's Edge
vaulting an obstacle in a game without interruption
yes, ME is the first to introduce it
yes, I CLAIM THAT
show me the proof I'm wrong moron
it must be easy, you just have to show me a vid of a counterexample
>>
>>285456601
Fluidity
>>
Mirror's Edge would be a fantastic game with a 3rd person perspective option. As it is, the game is only mediocre. Innovative but not exceptional.
>>
>>285457346
>with a 3rd person perspective option
nope
go away
>>
>>285457346
But the game is not innovative. To innovate is to start a new trend for the future, but we don't see any games following ME's lead. Instead, it's alone.

For the record, I like mirrors edge and believe it's a good game, but it's not this Pioneer of a new wave of platforming like many say.
>>
>>285444137
It's mostly console babbies who can't handle manipulating the camera to control their movement. It's also why they insist platformers are terrible with a mouse and keyboard even if they don't require variable movement speed.
>>
>>285457693
>It's mostly console babbies
keep repeating that, maybe one day you will believe it
auto persuasion
>>
I never understood the argument that first person view is bad for 3D platforming. Quake 3 is home to the most intense 3D platforming in gaming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-T6IAHWMd2I#t=766
>>
>>285457793
I have literally never heard of anyone on PC who dislikes first person platforming so vehemently. Again, it's mostly console babbies because FPS-style controls are garbage with a controller.
>>
>>285458471
I have literally never heard of anyone on console who dislikes first person platforming so vehemently. Again, it's mostly PC babbies because FPS-style controls are garbage with a keyboard.
>>
>>285458659
Why are you so mad, console babby?
>>
>>285458762
i am not
i am just having fun
>>
>>285448229
You're a fucking foreign idiot, god damn. AC3 added in choppy freerunning fence hopping because parkour is now popular among faggots, the main audience for video games.
>>
File: 1424230016635.jpg (23KB, 400x541px) Image search: [Google]
1424230016635.jpg
23KB, 400x541px
>>285444137
I used to do Parkour. (I'm actually thinking about getting back into it.)

This game was comfy as fuck. It did so much right. Like having the safety roll or how they abstractly implemented "runner vision". It was still a little generous with the heights you could drop from, and that unrealistic slid, but is a game after all. And how velocity affected your moves. I quite liked the story as well.

I really hope they follow through with the sequel.
>>
>>285459220
>AC3 added in choppy freerunning fence hopping because parkour is now popular
and ME is totally unrelated to it (do i need to say sarcasm?)
>faggots, the main audience for video games
homophobia
you start to be insulting
are you running out of argument?
>>
>>285457894
It makes it difficult to tell where the edge of the platform is in relation to your character, with a 3rd person view, you can see the edge of the platform, the platform you're looking for and the position of your character at the same time, whereas 1st person platforming feels more error prone when you end up jumping too early to avoid falling off the edge of the platform
>>
i got it
i can summarize my claim

ME is revolutionary because it's the game who say
movements in first player game must be movements/moves/tricks of parkour and not the garbage wee see today
that's the main speech of ME and that's what is revolutionary

>>285460242
>with a 3rd person view, you can see the edge of the platform
at first yes, but with time you will know exactly where your feet are
you just need training
>>
>>285455178
yes yes yes

especially for coop
>>
File: 1423593429605.gif (1MB, 209x180px) Image search: [Google]
1423593429605.gif
1MB, 209x180px
>>285444137
Didn't they hire anita sarkeesian for the sequel?

Remember to punish developers who do bullshit moves like that by pirating.

Loved dragon age 1, hated 2 and pirated the 3 just because of spite, didn't even played it.
>>
>>285460410
but you're implying that you'll be doing the same jump over and over, in third person you can almost immediately do a variety of relatively complex jumps, whereas most first-person platforming involves aiming the reticule at where you want to go, getting a run up and pressing jump then hoping for the best. Admittedly you can do some pretty impressive stuff in a lot of fps games, especially arena shooters, but they take serious practice and require the player to overcome the intrinsic flaws in first person platforming.
>>
>>285460706
I think they got Anita on because 'omg female character'
>>
>>285461208
Motive doesn't even matter, they want to carter to a minority then the minority should pay for it.

It really looks they forgot who their target audience is.
>>
I fucking love Mirror's Edge, definitley one of my favorite games. I love the style, how well the gameplay flows and I don't recall any first person games that have you free running either.

I can't wait for the next one, day of release purchase for me.
>>
>>285461049
>in third person you can almost immediately do a variety of relatively complex jumps
yes and no
for the first jump yes
but for the next no, because camera will not follow you correctly
>require the player to overcome the intrinsic flaws in first person platforming
yes we don't know where our body is in first person, i agree
but when you overcome that difficulty you gain much because of the camera directly in your eyes
>>
>>285461562
I don't really understand what you mean for either of those points, how does having the camera in your eyes give you an advantage, other than for firing a gun?
>>
>>285461930

when you lean against a wall

it always show you what is in front, which is impossible in TP, because there is something in the middle of the screen (the body of the player)

the camera never lags, in TP the camera is always late, you usually need time before it's correctly oriented

you can overcome body awareness in FP, but you can not overcome shitty camera in TP
>>
>>285462503
>in TP the camera is always late, you usually need time before it's correctly oriented
Every single post of yours in this thread has been incorrect.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.