[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What games have the most interesting aliens?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

File: 1425334677925.jpg (3MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1425334677925.jpg
3MB, 2880x2160px
What games have the most interesting aliens?
>>
File: urquan-simple.gif (40KB, 485x213px) Image search: [Google]
urquan-simple.gif
40KB, 485x213px
Star Control 2
>>
South Park.
>>
File: ORION952010-01-1119-31-16-56[1].jpg (61KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ORION952010-01-1119-31-16-56[1].jpg
61KB, 640x480px
>>
XENOPHAGE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGD7V3BPmc
>>
>>285344303
Ayy lmao
>>
>>285344303
This episode was fucking amazing.
>>
>Writer Tracy Tormé, adapting a story by Robert Sabaroff to The Next Generation, had hoped to make "Conspiracy" a commentary on the Iran/Contra Affair, but this potentially controversial notion was nixed. A plot by Starfleet officers out to undermine the Prime Directive (already introduced six episodes before in "Coming of Age"), turned out to be the result of an infestation of alien insects, not part of Tormé's original approach.
>The original version of the script did not feature alien parasites; the conspiracy in question was simply a military coup within Starfleet. Gene Roddenberry vehemently opposed such an idea, since he believed Starfleet would never stoop to such methods; there was just no way Tormé could get away with suggesting that the Federation was anything less than a perfect government. Thus the alien angle was introduced at his insistence. (DS9 later featured a similar plot, however, in the two-part episodes "Homefront" and "Paradise Lost".)

Did Gene do the right thing or did we lose a potentially interesting and mature plot?
>>
>>285348476
I dunno if that's the right sort of story to have at the end of a first season anyway.
>>
>>285348476
Gene was an idiot

>I dont want any form of weapon in the setting
>I dont want any form of currency in the setting
>I dont want the characters to use violence to solve the problems at hand

Thank god people talked him around.
>>
>>285348476
>Did Gene do the right thing
Yes, since his concept was always that humanity was truly enlightened, and thus a petty plot would have been out of character for all the characters.
>did we lose a potentially interesting and mature plot?
Probably, since the episode was 'salavaged' yet still compelling to watch.

Fun fact, these insects were originally planned to be the big recurring menace that ended up being the borg.
>>
>>285344303
I didn't think Star Trek was this hardcore
>>
>>285348052
>>285349230
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Vr9LnogLM
Yeah, pretty crazy.
>>
>>285348476
I love how the episode turned out, but the whole "muh perfect enlightened humanity" angle Gene always pushed was bullshit. I'm glad it's not nearly as present in Deep Space 9, which actually explores the federation's internal power dynamics in a few episodes and illustrates the federation poses to itself and its allies.
>>
>>285349156
>Gene was an idiot
>I dont want any form of weapon in the setting
>I dont want any form of currency in the setting
>I dont want the characters to use violence to solve the problems at hand
>implying he said anything to that extend

You don´t know much about him do you?
>>
>>285349156
Solving shit with violence is the exact opposite of what Star Trek was always about.
>>
Fun fact: that episode in the OP "Conspiracy", was supposed to be the precursor to the Borg.

But they went in another direction and used the plot to "Neutral Zone" and "Q Who" to introduce them instead.

I think "Conspiracy" would have made a kick ass TNG movie.
>>
>>285349156

Gene was a great man. He did great thinking up the Star Trek universe. But, that doesn't mean he's perfect about everything. To the OP episode, I thought it was fine politically wise. I know why Gene wanted everything to be this perfect utopia where humans have supposedly cast off their violent past, but that just doesn't work. It's why I still think DS9 is the best Star Trek because it showed that Starfleet had flaws, just like humans

It's like how sure, George Lucas made Star Wars, but ended up making a mess of episodes 1-3, and the best SW movie ever, Episode V, wasn't directed by Lucas.
>>
>>285348476
The whole prime directive is reactionary nonsense.
The thing is awfully rooted in leftist ivory towers of the 60s for being so ostensibly futuristic.
>>
>>285348476
the right thing

a show needs to have a vision
>>
>>285349405
>WAAAAAAH I DON'T LIKE THE THEME OF STAR TREK I WANT IT TO BE BABYLON 5

THen go watch that you fucking faggot.
BAWWW HUMANITY IS BAD AND SHOULD ALWAYS BE PORTRAYED AS SUCH IN ALL MEDIA
CRAWLING IN MY SKIN

Kill yourself
>>
Halo
>>
>>285349856
>reactionary capslock and edgy text

Bravo anon. You have accurately portrayed my desire to see a depiction of the federation that includes all of the faults that necessarily must exist due to humanity's basic nature, which is immutable. Obviously I was saying that humans are the source of all evil, can do no good, and should stop aspiring to be better than they actually are or ever can be, that they should resort to barbarism.

Truly I am honored by your response.
>>
>>285349184
>humanity was truly enlightened
There are tons of bad humans, and bad federation humans, throughout the series.
Why would it be impossible to imagine a few more?
>>
>>285349627
Gene was an idiot, anon.

He wanted:
>no one to use money in any form
Yeah would never happen. People do not operate purely on the love in their hearts.

>wanted to use the Ferengi to replace the Klingons and Romulans as the bad guys in TNG
Like they would just disappear. Ferengi were good the way DS9 made them

>said Star Trek 5 & 6 weren't "official" canon
ST5 I understand since it was so shitty, but ST6? It was the perfect send off for the original crew

He was a also a tyrannical dictator on set and was George Lucas-esque in his stubborness to listen to other people.
>>
File: Mgalekgolo[1].png (439KB, 651x707px) Image search: [Google]
Mgalekgolo[1].png
439KB, 651x707px
Mgalekgolo (Ophis congregatio), more commonly known as Hunters, are a unique gestalt of smaller creatures known as Lekgolo, which are orange, worm-like creatures. When grouped together to form a Mgalekgolo, Lekgolo exponentially increase their intelligence, strength, and maneuverability.
>>
>>285349639
It was made in the 60's, of course it's going to draw a lot of its ideas from that time
And, to give credit where it's due, attempting to interfere in cultures you don't fully understand has pretty much always ended very badly.
>>
>>285350423
>Hurr durr what about the shit jobs if money goes away
Robots and AI can do them. Fuck off jew.
>>
The Scrin from Command and Conquer
>>
File: BarlowePrairieRam.jpg (84KB, 799x562px) Image search: [Google]
BarlowePrairieRam.jpg
84KB, 799x562px
I wish there was a game based on Expedition/Alien Planet. It would be amazing.
>>
>>285350313
A lot of humanities "dick over everyone who isn't me or directly connected to me" attitudes stem from resource scarcity. In a society where replicators exist, that instinct is going to be less prominent.
>>285350535
I swear someone told me once that the Scarab walkers from Halo 2 and 3 are actually Lekgolo colonies on a massive scale, is that true or was he bullshitting me?
>>
>>285350423
>Yeah would never happen. People do not operate purely on the love in their hearts.

that's because everyone already has everything he wants so it's free to do just what he wants to do
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 1024x678px
I wish aliens were more like animals that just swam through space and occasionally bumped into planets

No goals or anything, they just enter the planets gravity and leave it when they want
Make some of them territorial and attack your planet during parts of its orbit
Make some of them huge and some of them swarms/schools

Does this game already exist?
>>
>>285349904
I think the halo lore/backstory is better than the game, the game story, and multiplayer
so deep
>>
>>285350935
Yes scarabs are just large lekgolo colonies
>>
>>285350935

its definitely the case in halo 3
>>
>>285350992
Spelljammer has space sharks, sounds like what your talking about
Otherwise, the idea of species that spread by just floating between stars is some pretty classic sci-fi stuff, just rip some of those off and use them in a pulpy sci-fi game
>>
>>285350935
Its true, you can see them in halo 3 when you go to destroy the scarab's core
>>
>>285350573
>you don't fully understand
That's the key word.
The VAST majority of interfering in other cultures has been done by people who neither tried to nor were interested in even partially understanding the culture they interfered with.

Now all the different cultures have met one another, by and large, so we get few pieces of new data.

But the US Occupation of Japan is perhaps the best proof that interference in a foreign culture is not doomed to be a disaster, even with flawed and impartial understanding. The US was interested in understanding Japan in order to change it for the better. They studied, they prepared, and they ultimately interfered. In the big picture at the very least, they were very successful.

What would the prime directive have had them do? Sit around watching one foreign culture destroy all the others.

And don't bring up the Iraq intervention as a counterpoint, because we worked real hard to unlearn the lessons we had taken from preparing and occupying Japan.
>>
File: 1422145216825.png (70KB, 344x299px) Image search: [Google]
1422145216825.png
70KB, 344x299px
>>285350992
>swam through space
>>
>>285350935

The scarab in Halo 2 is actually just a machine, but the scarabs in Halo 3/ODST have Lekgolo operating it. Hence why there is no cockpit or controls like the Scarab in Halo 2.
>>
Guys. How does the economy work in the Federation? I mean, how do they decide who gets the nice apartment overlooking San Francisco Bay and who gets stuck in New Somalia?

Picard's family gets a vineyard with a lot of land in France. What if I wanted my own french vineyard? Why do they get it and not me. Also, why wouldn't they sell their wine to aliens off world instead of giving it for free to other citizens?
>>
>>285350423
>money
If AI and robotics were advanced enough to replace all of the terrible jobs that no one ever wants to do, I can maybe see this happening. But only if society is large enough (as in, a giant federation of planets) that every individual can pursue the career that interests them without a lot of competition.

I mean, there's a half dozen jobs right now on earth I'd gladly do 8 hours a day 7 days a week for free* as my full time career, let alone all the neat shit that comes with the Federation (starship crews, whatever else they need).

*Free refers only to monetary incentive, I'd still need good food, water, and acceptable housing of course. So it's a utopian ideal, but one that is slightly feasible with sufficiently advanced technology.
>>
I still can't believe that was an actual Star Trek episode, it was so brutal and it looks like they actually used practical effects too!
>>
>>285350976
If they've reached post-scarcity then I would be very interested in hearing how they've justified to themselves not sharing that with the other races.
>>
>>285351453
>They studied, they prepared, and they ultimately interfered. In the big picture at the very least, they were very successful.

you mean they bombed the shit out of them
forced them to adopt a constitution that was a bad copy of the american one
and forced an unnatural change in the their culture
>>
>>285349381
This just doesn't seem like something Picard would do.
>>
>>285344303
why are you crossposting nigger i saw your thread on /tv/ with this pic
>>
>>285351878
Dude was disgusted with that shit. Fucking wearing that admiral like a skin-suit, the man was clearly dead long before they blew him up. The thing occupied his entire chest cavity, even if it somehow sustained his body his mind (if it even still remained) was all sorts of twisted.
>>
>>285351453
The questions answered by the Prime Directive are very different to the ones answered by a military occupation
In any military engagement it's a given your going to interfere. At the most basic level war is armed interference in another state's policy, to horrifically mangle Clausewitz.
The Prime Directive is about dealing with civilizations that quite often do not have the means to even detect a warp faring society. Really its about stopping paternalism and/or colonialism and not becoming an outside context problem
As for Iraq, it's not like anyone was given the time to do the study necessary for that clusterfuck
>>
>>285351259
I'll look into that, thanks

I was actually thinking more of a game where you play as a person who can't travel through space and these things just show up every now and then

At my shit attempt to make a plot I thought you could have scientists analyze these creatures to show that they use electromagnetism for locomotion where there is no gravity
And maybe thy are sleek-black to camouflage in the black of space, but they don't know why they would need camouflage to begin with
Then maybe some new creatures visit only certain times of the year

Then more hostile things happen and you basically play EDF
>>
>>285351681

How can the federation not have money. They have many jobs that humans still do and that are very dangerous or otherwise unappealing. They'd need some sort of incentive to get people to do the unappealing jobs.
>>
the mass effect series had some pretty good unique aliens
>>
>>285351692
Old Star Trek TNG was quite big on practical effects, it just had the timing of being on when CGI and the like got cheap enough for big budget shows, so it used a lot of it
And it was definitely mostly practical effects with overlay's done later. The little scarab thing going up the guy's leg was so stop motion I almost laughed
>>285351878
Picard is, above all else, a believer in freedom and free will. Something like that alien, that only survived by subverting or outright destroying free will was an abomination to him
>>
>>285352212
I don't understand it either, that's just the way it's presented. Maybe you get more time to relax afterwards (i.e. dangerous job is half the duration of a normal shift, and you get twice as much break time before you're up again too), or the satisfaction of having more influence, power, and responsibility (starfleet officer rankings) such as the ability to pursue your own interests via command of a ship or project.

They never really talk about it, other than saying "money doesn't exist anymore."
>>
File: Elcor.png (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Elcor.png
4MB, 2560x1440px
Mass Effect
Some of the species weren't just your bog standard humanoid, although the ones that weren't didn't play much of an interactive role, gay elcor sex though, so much wasted potential.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.