[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about Bravely Default /v/? Opinions, experiences?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: 81SwgDf4KIL._SL1500_.jpg (437KB, 1500x1371px) Image search: [Google]
81SwgDf4KIL._SL1500_.jpg
437KB, 1500x1371px
Can we talk about Bravely Default /v/?

Opinions, experiences? How does it hold up to the golden age of final fantasys, namely IV, V and VI.
>>
it was alright imo
>>
it's a terrible game that ends after 4 chapters because square pulled the plug on devs and they said fuck it lets release it anyway
>>
>>285104625
Comparable to vi IMO
>>
>>285104625

Up to chapter 4 quite enjoyable.
>>
Chapter 4 really can't be that bad
>>
>golden age of FF
>IV, V, and VI
This is bait
>>
>>285106884

If you compare FF generations in 3s, it would be pretty legitimate that 4-6 are the most beloved trio.

7-9 are highly beloved, but it seems most people love ONE of them and usually indifferent to the others, whereas many people love all 4-6, despite likely not with the same strength as the people who love one of the 7-9 games.
>>
Loved it. The Endless Eight shit wasn't great, but the side content held me over until the end, which was superb. Definitely my GOTY of 2013.
>>
>>285107475
Good to know, thanks anon. Have it ordered and on the way so I'm eager to get going with it. My favourite FF's were IV and VI so I'm hoping I'll feel right at home!
>>
It was good. Endless Eight was optional. My only complains are dungeon design and dialog getting completely out of sync in chapters 5-8. It also had the best music I've heard in a game in a long time
>>
File: 1391501203175.jpg (892KB, 960x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1391501203175.jpg
892KB, 960x3000px
>>285106884
Close enough, faggot.
>>
File: Agnes 3.jpg (149KB, 479x750px) Image search: [Google]
Agnes 3.jpg
149KB, 479x750px
Repeating shit was awful and at times the difficulty went all over the place, but it was pretty good.
>>
>>285107817
It's nowhere near perfect, bear in mind. The dungeons are way too simple and straightforward, the game is mostly linear, and the writing is formulaic as all get out. You won't be impressed by its innovation, I'll tell you that much. What it does have is a nice aesthetic, some fantastic music, a fair bit of shit to do beyond the scope of the main game and, what matters most, a great combat system. It also gets portable gaming exactly right by letting you control the experience entirely, including encounter rate.

For me, it's not even going to scratch my top 10 JRPGs, but it's definitely top 50.
>>
>>285108302
Give me your top ten so I know how trustworthy your opinion is.
>>
>>285108519
1. Breath of Fire 3
2. Emerald Dragon
3. Skies of Arcadia Legends
4. SMT: Digital Devil Saga
5. Shining Force
6. Der Langrisser
7. Paper Mario: TTYD
8. Tales of Vesperia
9. Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together
10. Ys Seven

Honourable mentions go to Yakuza 4, Half-Minute Hero, Kingdom Hearts: CoM and MMBN2
>>
>>285107980
what a terrible list
>>
>>285108840
Breath of fire 3 is at the top of your list, your opinion is extremely valid.
For the record bof3 is my all time favourite jrpg too.
>>
>>285109038
BoF3 is a masterpiece and probably my favourite game. BoF is my favourite franchise, too, which is nice. Every single game in it is wonderful.
>>
It was a good game, but I will agree that the Groundhog Day stuff was not a good idea to start your new franchise with.

The thing is, you can skip them, but then two worlds in, is the world where the main party dies which gives a lot of backstory. They could've just started with that instead of forcing you to Repeat two times.
>>
>>285108908
What terrible taste.
>>
>>285109279
They could have handled the entire thing better. I respect the decision to go with world-hopping, but the repetitions were poorly done.

The side content made it bearable. Had they scratched the main content and made the side content the main content, I think people would have been a lot more positive about the second half of the game. Hopefully Bravely Second fixes the first game's flaws.
>>
>>285109213
It is indeed. Going to be honest and tell you that I've never played any other games in the bof series but many, many hours of my life have been sunk into bof3 without regret. Think I might have to give it another play through actually, it's been a few years.

If I wanted to experience more of the series where's a good place to start?
>>
>>285109525
Well, the writers aren't from the first game and the idea of choosing your Asterisk seems interesting.
>>
>>285104625
It takes the core gameplay of clasics and improves it with the brave/default mechanics, giving combat much better pacing. Unfortunately in terms of content and story pacing it suffers in the later half. Also why the fuck is falling for her shit considered the true good ending. Calling her out on the bullshit should of been the real ending.
>>
>>285109279
Is that the first one where they start throwing asterisk users at you in groups of 3 more? Whatever chapter that is was where I hit a brick wall and put it down. Never had the time to get back to it.
>>
>>285109852
No, that's the world after.
>>
>>285104625

The second half of the game mars what could have been a master piece, making it merely good, moving into almost great.
>>
>>285104625
>SE dont release DQ VII. Now release this FF V clone.
>>
>>285109769
4. Undoubtedly 4. It's not directly connected to the first three bar speculation, but it is in and of itself a beautiful, fantastic game, and it improves on many of the mechanics of 3. In some ways it falls flat, but it is the most similar to 3 of the series while maintaining its own distinct identity.

If you loved 3, you'll love 4. You might even love it more. After that, play 2, and then decide whether you want to continue. 1 is good but not amazing, and very dated, while 5 is a very, very, very different game. A lot of people hate 5, and with good reason, but it's challenging, on so many levels, and a wonderful experience if you're willing to invest in it.
>>
>>285104625
I can I still get all of the journal entries if I skip some of the optional bosses in a chapter?
>>
>>285108840

...I don't recognise any of those games. Could you give us a list of your favourite JRPGs made after the year, say 2005?
>>
>>285104625

It's a game that's laughably easy to break, basically plays itself, and then has the fucking gall to repeat itself 5 times.

The music is average and the character dialogue is cringe worthy.

This was easily the most disappointing game of 2014. Thankfully I got it a week after launch for 20$
>>
File: 1424061783603.gif (566KB, 162x227px) Image search: [Google]
1424061783603.gif
566KB, 162x227px
>>285110736
>the music is average
>>
>>285110578
If you don't recognise anything on that list get to know them, jrpgs don't get much better than a lot of that list
>>
>>285110871

I'll be honest with you, only JRPGs I've played are Final Fantasies VI to XIII. And I love them.

However, upon quick googling of that list, I found out that nearly every game in that list has this awful anime-drawing style to them. I can't stand it, nor any SNES tyle games.

Aren't there any good JRPGs that don't look like anime series? I.E. like Final Fantasies
>>
>>285111289
Breath of fire 3.

Just try it, you won't be disappointed.
>>
File: 1423320697176.png (15KB, 325x429px) Image search: [Google]
1423320697176.png
15KB, 325x429px
>Playstation babbies
fuck it. Play xenoblade or something
>>
>>285111383

Sorry, it just looks too dated to me.
>>
>>285110578
This is a lot harder for me, though, as most of the games I love are from 1990-2005. I'll aim to list games from post-2010.

1. SMT: Devil Survivor 2
2. Crimson Shroud
3. Radiant Historia
4. NieR
5. Dark Souls
6. Dragon's Dogma
7. Bravely Default
8. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem
9. SMT4
10. The Guided Fate Paradox
>>
I really liked Bravely Default and would like to replay it because the combat was so fun but thinking about the time loop parts makes me reconsider. Hopefully Bravely Second will be better.
>>
>>285111383

>Get to world 3 or something
>Fight Ominas with a sub par party but whatever, he's easy anyway
>Beat him
>Suddenly Heinkel and Barras show up and all three start kicking my ass
>>
>>285112054
Considering that they are reusing asterisk bosses, I don't think it will be significantly better, if at all.
>>
can't we talk about the second game instead?
>http://www.siliconera.com/2015/02/26/bravely-second-details-moon-base-battles-special-moves/
the ba'als aren't plot relevant, i am mad.
>>
>>285104625
If you like old school JRPGs, then yes, you'll enjoy Bravely Default. It has all the stuff from FFV and more, although the characters and plot are a bit dumber than something like FFVI. (As in, frequently holding the idiot ball.)

If you don't like JRPGs, then Bravely Default isn't going to change your mind. Like FFV, the biggest draw is the customization with the job system. Beyond that, most of the improvements involve making it easier to kill stuff off and progress through the game quickly.

Oh, and you'll want to Streetpass or whatever for extra villagers.

The whole "repeats after chapter 4" thing is overblown. You can practically skip over those chapters entirely if you wanted, can turn off encounters and just fight bosses, or run around and smack around the new monsters which showed up. There is a little bit of dialogue changes if you sequence-break as well, although only in a handful of spots.
>>
Bravely Default was good, the combat was great, the art is pleasing to look at, the music was pleasant to listen to, the story and characters were a bit shit but that's normal for jrpgs.
>>
Really can't wait to get hold of this now, cheers anons.
Been waiting so long for a decent old school final fantasy alike to come along and it seems like this is gunna be it!
>>
I'm trying to get into the JRPG genre, but I can't stand the anime looks most games have. Final Fantasies all look fine though, can you guys recommend me JRPGs with similar art style?
>>
>>285112807
>moon base

Whu?
>>
>>285114320
No, fuck off.
>>
>>285114320
Depends on which Final Fantasy games, and if you're talking about in-game or the Amano drawings. The in-game art tends to vary wildly with different systems and different releases.
>>
>>285107980
I actually enjoyed that "shit tier" FF3 on DS
>>
File: 1368310320178.png (121KB, 250x418px) Image search: [Google]
1368310320178.png
121KB, 250x418px
>>285114442
How do you even go from bravely default's setting to having edea still fucking alive in some psycho future where people live on the moon?
When I saw the secret movie, I thought tiz was thrown way, WAY into the future where he would be alone and find like 3 new heroes. I just don't get how edea and agnes could still be alive.
>>
I absolutely despised it.

Frankly, I predict in a decade everyone's going to look back on BD as we look back on Golden Sun now.
>>
>>285114670

In-game mainly. But suffice to say, I had no problems with art styles of 7-13.
>>
>>285115026
What, you mean as brilliant?

Golden sun was an elder god tier GBA rpg.
>>
>>285114609

Why so hostile?
>>
>>285115142
Because they're the only ones you've played? Play some of the earlier sprite based FFs, VI in particular.

If you can't get over the basic sprite based graphics then fuck off and stop playing jrpgs.
>>
It could have been a lot better without having to repeat the same shit like four times, I actually went through the effort of max leveling everyone and mastering all their jobs and didn't even finish the game, I seriously though I was doing something wrong when I was sent back for the third time. I guess I will try to beat it later or restart the whole thing.
>>
>>285115202
Sure let's go with that. I'm too tired to say otherwise.
>>
>>285115335

What the fuck dude? I'm just asking for advice, and you are coming on to me like that. I'm just saying I don't like the particular anime style that a lot of these games employ, I'm not universally despising it, but I know that it just isn't for me.

And yet I still enjoy those JRPGs I've played, and would like to receive advice about similar games.
>>
File: muhcrystals.png (175KB, 788x1173px) Image search: [Google]
muhcrystals.png
175KB, 788x1173px
I hated Airy before it was cool and before the game came out
>>
>>285115634
Not that guy, and I get where you're coming from, but surely you realise being deliberately inflammatory is only going to get you an equally stupid response.
>>
>>285107475
haruhi season 3 when
>>
>>285115651
This is /v/, get used to it.

You need to begin with the assumption that unless you get over this you won't experience any decent jrpgs. The earlier final fantasies like 4,5 and 6 didn't have any 'anime graphics' that you're talking about, the graphics are just more primitive.
These games come from Japan for gods sake, of course the art style is going to be more eastern.
You aren't going to find any decent recent 3d jrpgs, they are ALL shit.
>>
>>285115785

I loved her until I actually played the game and heard her voice.
>>
File: jrpg.jpg (1MB, 927x3100px) Image search: [Google]
jrpg.jpg
1MB, 927x3100px
>>285108840
This is some damn good taste.

Though it saddens me that you lack any Wild Arms on this list at all.

>>285111986
This is also some absolutely based taste, especially with Radiant historia in #3.

Have you played any of the Etrian odysseys? What about strange Journey? The only game that makes me a little confused on this list is Guided fate paradox. Didn't really get into it.
>>
File: 1337930242659.gif (920KB, 260x187px) Image search: [Google]
1337930242659.gif
920KB, 260x187px
>Behold! The Celestial Realm!
>>
>>285114442

Magnolia is from the moon. people from the moon speak English.

its a nod to how we call japanese moonspeak
>>
>>285112807
Jesus, everyting about BD2 makes it sound worse and worse.
>>
>>285107980
>VII on elder god tier
>X-2 not on franchise-ruining tier
wat
>>
>>285116325
They were both me, yeah. I've played enough Wild Arms to know that Wild Arms isn't the series for me (1, 2, 3, and XF). Good series, but not my sort of thing, though I do quite like XF.

I've also played some of the Etrian Odysseys (the first three). They're fun dungeon crawlers, but I have yet to actually get that far in any of them. Love SJ, but I generally try not to include more than one game from a certain series (not franchise) in my top ten lists. I felt I had to include SMT4 on the same list as Devil Survivor 2 because I was running out of real options for games that had really stuck with me. I've enjoyed a fair few games from the past five years or so, but very few have been impressive enough to rate.

When I posted TGFP, I was actually thinking of ZHP, which is my bad. ZHP is great. TGFP is good, but nowhere near the same level.
>>
>>285116829
VII deserves to be on elder god tier.
>>
>>285108302
i can control the encounter rate?? whaaat
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.