[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dark Souls is an example of a near flawless action RPG game with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

File: 35078-1-2.jpg (58KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
35078-1-2.jpg
58KB, 576x432px
Dark Souls is an example of a near flawless action RPG game with swords. Story, mechanics, gameplay all flow together in a pleasurable manor.

Give me some FPS games that are near flawless in their context.
>>
File: image.jpg (397KB, 1278x958px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
397KB, 1278x958px
>>283706369
>>
>>283706502
Which one though? There are many games in the Quake series, many refinements, changes. To you, what is the pinnacle of that series?
>>
>>283706369
CPMA
System Shock 2
TF2
>>
>>283706369
Doom 1/2.

You are a space marine. There are demons that are trying to kill you. You have to kill the demons to survive and move on.

Simple.
>>
>>283706665
System Shock 2 is pretty dated and funky with the mechanics. Compared to say Deus Ex, wouldn't that be a better game? Even Bioshock 1 outclasses it in play ability.
>>
>>283706502
>shitty bosses
>bland levels and enemies
>flawless
>>
>>283706764
No AI, repetitive level design, non unique weapons (pow, bigger pow, pow pow, zap, bigger zap, boom, bigger boom), plain enemy types. It's fun, but in no way is it near flawless in any stretch between 1992 and 2012.
>>
>>283706772
SS2 is the perfect survival horror in FPS format I think. Deus Ex's combat was almost worse and Bioshock for me was barely survival horror.
>>
>>283707006
I sorta enjoyed SS2, except when the AI or hitboxes would derp out, trying to kill those invincible psychic monkeys, or dealing with pretty dull crawling through laboratories.
>>
>>283706959
>no AI
Wrong. All monsters have different reactions and attacks depending on your distance to them.
>repetitive level design
It's almost like the game is set in giant, economically constructed bases on Mars and the moons of mars. Why would they be wide open and excessively varying?
>non unique weapons
Fists
A chainsaw
A pistol
A shotgun
A machine gun
A rocket launcher
A plasma rifle
A giant cannon that shoots plasma

These all sound pretty unique to me. There are only two instances of ammo pools being shared in the game, amongst the eight weapons in Doom 1.
>plain enemy types
We have two guys with guns, a man-sized demon that spits fire, a giant bull-thing, an invisible giant bull thing, an floating head that spits plasma at you, a disembodied skull that charges at your head, a giant demon with goat horns that throws plasma at you, and that's just from the first half of the first game.
>>
>>283707839
different shapes that shoot different projectiles. If you replaced them with a solid object, they'd all seem the same.

You have only a few different attack types, close range, fast close range, bullets, spread bullets, fast bullets, fast electricity (stronger bullets), explosive electricity (more powerful rocket), and rockets (plain old explosions, or moving barrels).

Putting different skins on these things does not make them unique.
>>
>>283708105
>different shapes that shoot different projectiles
Anon, this whole thread is about context. Why generalize?

By this logic, all guns in all games could be replaced with the pistol sprite from Doom, with the same shot sound as Doom's pistol, and it'd be the exact same gun. This is untrue. Half of the fun of using the shotgun in Doom is the satisfying impact of the gun. If it had no sound and it didn't look good to a majority of the Doom fanbase, it wouldn't have the reputation it has. Same thing for the BFG. It looks and sounds cool. It grants catharsis.

You can talk about how plasma is the same as a bullet except for appearance and sound, but that takes away the catharsis of using plasma as a weapon. The guns differentiate through context.
>>
>>283708884
Still, no homing shots, no incendiary or other effect rounds, no gravity affected rounds, has the same damage effect on all enemies, no weapons that are required for certain situations (like having to crack or blow away armor first), nothing that causes bleed, nothing that works better depending on the situation, like angular attacks, faster or slower rounds, and so on.
>>
>>283706764
this
>>
Call of Duty
Start with simple recon missions, end up doing some crazy shit
>>
>>283706959
>repetitive level design
only visually, and even then not really
all 4 episodes of DOOM and DOOM II are pretty different in terms of level design philosophy. if you weren't retarded you'd know that
>non-unique weapons
DOOM invented fps weapon balance. thats pretty much all I have to say on that matter of creativity
>plain enemy types
now I know you're trolling
>>
>>283709489
>a monster
>a monster with gun
>a monster with 2 gun
>a monster with plasma
>a monster with 2 plasma
>>
Half life?
>>
Timesplitters
>>
>>283709892
1 2 or 3?
>>
>>283709626
>zombie soldier with rifle
>demon with claws and fireballs
>pinky large demon thats fast and will fuck you up if it corners you
>flying red demon that shoots enormous damaging plasma orbs at you
>flying brown demon that spawns fucking infinite flying skulls
>large sulking demon that fires dual flame cannons
>giant spider that shooting repeating plasma rounds
>witch doctor demon that summons internal combustion upon you
>the fucking cyberdemon

jesus man, name ONE game with better enemy variety i fucking dare you
>>
Serious Sam
>>
>>283709152
Why do you need special ammunition types for a game's weapons to be unique? Now we aren't even talking about the weapon itself.

I've never been playing Doom, stopped for a second, and thought "This game would be great if I had to use specific weapons against specific enemies, instead of more or less anything against more or less anything". It would break the flow of gameplay, if, say, Cyberdemons were only vulnerable to plasma.

>>283709626
Again, why generalize in a thread about CONTEXT?
>>
>>283710010
In FPS or anything?
>>
>>283710073
true. the fact that any weapon CAN be used against any enemy is good design because the truth is that some weapons are more effective based on their DPS and ammo availability and it's up to the player to smartly manage their ammo in order to no get fucked later on

like if you wasted all your plasma fucking up imps and had only shotgun rounds in the room full of cacodemons in tricks and traps
>>
>>283709969
Haven't played one, but 2 and 3 meet OP's criteria
>>
>>283710405
Seeing as OP asked for FPS and we are talking about FPS...
>>
>>283710405
I'll shoot for anything because I can't think of a single game with more than 10 different enemies that are all visually distinct as well as requiring vastly different approaches in gameplay
>>
>>283706369
Fallout 3
>>
>>283706369
>dark souls
>story
no?
>>
>>283706369
>Dark Souls is an example of a near flawless action RPG game with swords. Story, mechanics, gameplay all flow together in a pleasurable manor.
you're wrong, but if you want something as shit as souls just play halo, because the only reason you play souls is because it's so hardkoar xD
>>
>>283710584
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/enemies
>>
If you consider Dark Souls as flawless, or even good remotely, you'll like Half life 2
>>
>>283710768
Who hasn't played half life 2?
>>
>>283709152

> nothing that works better depending on the situation,

You are straight up wrong.

The different guns are already useful in different situations - up close the SSG is king, far away the chaingun or the shotgun is better, huge pack of low-HP monsters the rocker launcher is better, plasma is good against monsters with lots of HP in the general case, BFG is good for "Oh Shit" moments with dozens of monsters or at taking out the bosses quickly.

No, you don't need a dozen damage types or one-shot gimmicks to make combat interesting, this isn't a fucking JRPG and when they did try to make an RPG out of Doom it sucked ass (see: Hexen).
>>
>>283710903
All I see in Doom is guns with different DPS
>>
>>283706665
>>283707006
>SS2

Fucking LOL
>>
>>283710768
>Half life 2

The first game was superior to the second in pretty much every respect except graphically, and even then HL2's graphics engine was pretty mediocre and was only saved by good art direction (though the locations themselves were a major downgrade - give me a science facility in the desert instead of a grimy dirty eastern-european shithole any day).
>>
>>283706369
>story
>mechanics

Are you even 18 years old son?
>>
>>283706764
>>283709264
SHIT CONTROLS
>>
>>283706369
The Marathon series
>>
Dark Souls isn't that good.

That said, Blood is a near flawless FPS.
>>
>>283706369
I need to replay painkiller.

Truly a hidden gem
>>
i think half life
>>
File: 1405182439874.jpg (109KB, 434x461px) Image search: [Google]
1405182439874.jpg
109KB, 434x461px
IT WAS ALL A DREAM
>>
>>283706369
Bulletstorm

at least its fun and not shit like DaS
>>
>>283710639
It requires some reading and logic to put it together. I know you have trouble with both, so you probably missed it.
>>
>>283711618
Except for the awful controls
>>
>>283711002

And your opinion is once again reductionist to the point of meaninglessness, Ms. Sarkeesian.
>>
>>283712007
What is bMouse?
>>
>>283712007
he jus said Dark souls isnt that good
>>
>>283706369
Timesplitters 2
>>
>>283711609

Marathon was a game with bad art design and terrible moment-to-moment shooting mechanics that people remember fondly either because of its story, because Bungie cocksuckers rediscovered it after Halo made it big and realized that several story points were recycled for Halo, or because it was one of the only well known Mac exclusives in the 90's.

Except Marathon 2: Durandal, the "best" game of the trilogy, also came out for Windows 95, so it wasn't even a Mac exclusive either. Not only that, but because the story was told through terminals and not through any sort of gameplay, you could simply read the terminals themselves on some fansite and not have missed anything.
>>
File: Marathon2.jpg (161KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Marathon2.jpg
161KB, 640x480px
>>283711609

An average screenshot from Marathon. The textures and sprites were high-resolution, and the game ran at a high resolution because it was on a Mac, but none of that mattered because the game itself looked like a tacky piece of garbage the way it was actually put together.

The art style would have looked really nice in a comic book or even in a 2D platformer, but it looked like complete dogshit in 3D.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.