[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

Why is there such a conflict in geek culture? Why can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 41

File: Geeking out.png (367KB, 720x838px)
Geeking out.png
367KB, 720x838px
Why is there such a conflict in geek culture? Why can't we all just get along without a vocal minority of geeks constantly questioning the geek credentials of other geeks telling them that they are not real geeks?

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/16/the-war-for-the-soul-of-geek-culture-2689164?lt_source=external,manual
>>
fuck off
>>
>>283602416

Don't worry about it, retards can't stand that their hobby is popular in the mainstream and resort to harassment. This behavior is unacceptable and is being weeded out.

Also so using "geek" period and don't use it 10 times in a paragraph.
>>
>>283602743

don't use*

Fucking auto correct.
>>
File: dickbutkis.jpg (20KB, 640x356px)
dickbutkis.jpg
20KB, 640x356px
>>283602743
lol, bro do you even level up?
>>
>Beautifully unique sparkleponies mad that people other than turbo nerds like their stuff

Deal with it.
>>
I've never been to a convention. Is there really harassment going on?
>>
>animated dr who gif

I'm done.
>>
File: 1402837473765.jpg (253KB, 1120x629px)
1402837473765.jpg
253KB, 1120x629px
>>283602416

op post is not /v/idya related

however, this pic is
>>
>Films
>"Wow you like Tarantino? Nice shit taste, go back to watching shit while I enjoy the works of Tartovsky and Kurosawa"

>Books
>"Wow, Harry Potter, you must be the best reader in your year 5 class."

>Games
>"You only play Candy Crush on your mobile during lunch breaks? Of course you're welcome here!"

every medium with enthusiasts has people who look down at other s for their taste
>>
Put me down as both sides are stupid

>woe is me there are new people in my hobby that want their voices heard
>woe is me the people in the hobby I joined want their voices heard too

Free market, motherfuckers.
>>
File: 1424099827151.png (270KB, 602x404px)
1424099827151.png
270KB, 602x404px
GO HOME, XENA GIRL
>>
>>283602416
> linking to sjw site instead of using archive

Nope, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: 63456.jpg (37KB, 396x388px)
63456.jpg
37KB, 396x388px
>geek culture
>>
Reminder that faggots from SRS admitted to coming here to convince /co/ as a whole to be more "progressive."

Expect plenty of retards squealing about how black trans otherkin need more representation and you're 'shitlords' for not embracing diversity.
>>
>>283602416

Not even a gamergater and that article is the most pathetic, biased, uneducated pile of shit I've ever read. Gamers don't give a shit who makes or plays games, nerd girls are basically royalty in the sub culture. Stop trying to divide and conquer you faggot and just play some damn games. Quinn and Wu are shit stains on gaming, they are talentless hacks building 'buzz' by being victims. Fuck all this shit, just cut off the oxygen to this so called debate and let it die.
>>
>>283603764

> excluding

What, are they not allowed to watch movies and TV shows, read comics, play games, go to cons?

Is a giant neckbeard physically stopping them?
>>
File: 1382043264727.jpg (576KB, 904x2070px)
1382043264727.jpg
576KB, 904x2070px
>>283602416
>Geek
Why I'm supposed to be a geek?
I'm just someone who play video games, read books, comic books, manga, watch TV show, movies, anime, cartoon, being into philosophy, history, sociology and computer science, not a fucking geek/nerd/otaku/weeaboo/whatever...
>>
>>283604167

JIDF here. We told /pol/ to come to /v/ to discredit you guys.

It worked better than we imagined.
>>
>>283602743
ghazi/neo poster spotted
>>
I don't want to be a part of some cringeworthy "geek culture"

I just want to play video games.
>>
Why can't it be the 90's again when we could have our games and shows free of casuals.
>>
>>283604216
They think that being asked to play by 'our rules' in 'our house', like literally every other fandom does, is exclusion.
>>
>>283604742

> our rules

What are our rules anyway?
>>
>>283604834
Don't be an obnoxious, attentionwhoring faggot and play video games.
>>
File: game on.png (555KB, 720x404px)
game on.png
555KB, 720x404px
>>283604834
NO SOCIAL JUSTICE IN GAMING
>>
>this exact same thread, with the exact same op was posted earlier

Stop trying to get more pageviews, faggot
>>
Everything we like in geek culture is everything they hate. And everything they want more of in geek culture is everything we hate.

It's all a zero-sum game. Like turning a steakhouse into a vegan co-op.
>>
File: 1355555648702.jpg (417KB, 799x739px)
1355555648702.jpg
417KB, 799x739px
I want "nerd" to go back to being an insult.
>>
>>283603897
This
There are snobs for absolutely everything, this isn't something recent
>>
>>283604834
I don't know, but they're apparently highly problematic.
>>
>>283602416
Why can't we all just ignore the people who we don't like because it's the goddamn internet?
>>
File: 1409419098430.jpg (61KB, 680x566px)
1409419098430.jpg
61KB, 680x566px
>>283604194
>>
>>283603897
>oh you like well done steaks? nice shit taste go back eating shit while i eat a savage steak.
>>
File: miyamoto.jpg (20KB, 227x218px)
miyamoto.jpg
20KB, 227x218px
>sjws think /v/ will ever listen to them
>>
>>283604834

Every sub culture has an etiquette, usually unspoken and subtle. It's poor form to come in like a ranting cunt and demand they change. Fit in, enjoy it, or not, but don't shit things up. Go and be a dudebro at a MTG event and see how you get treated.
>>
>>283602416
>Try to get along
>Group that wants us to get along throws shit at us
>We say okay and ignore them
>They continue to hurl shit and claim we are causing problems

fucking years of this shit.
>>
>>283604834
1. Praise be to Vidya
2. Behead those who reject Vidya from their lives
3. Live by the law of Vidyaria
4. Go home, gamer girls
5. Vidya is great, vidya is merciful
6. Level up as often as you're able
>>
>>283605014
yeah, that sounds about right.
>>
>>283604378
But we praise Intel all the time i even seen people saying that a anything lower than a i5 will bottleneck a 750ti.
>>
People actually care about "geek cred?"

I just enjoy shit and don't give a fuck if other people enjoy it or not or what their reasons are for it.
>>
"Gaming culture" is pretty much 90% thirsty betas. So when a woman comes in the community is split between beta white knights who worship her, guys who actually do dislike woman and normal people who just want to play video games and who come to hate what has happened to the once good community.
>>
>>283602416
kept reading that headline as Greek Culture
>>
>>283602416
Posting this contributes. The whole thing feeds solely on attention. Both sides. And like most things, the fringes are filled with disgusting fucks trying to destroy everything. Both sides.

Ignore tweets,articles, and threads about it. Both sides will get bored and move on. Anyone over 16 should know this.
>>
>>283605126
But geek culture is only consumerism.
>>
>>283605318
CCG culture is toxic and problematic.
>>
>>283605587
everyone hates the god damn community, don't pretend being normal is a minority
>>
The evolution of the vidya feminism movement

>Games are stupid boy things
>Well, I guess I could try one
>This is kinda fun, but hard
>This is way too hard
>They should really change this so I can play it
>What? You're not changing it? Why? Is it because I'm a girl?
>It must be because I'm a girl!
>You misogynists!
>Change games, gamers are sexist! Girl power!

And then people start jumping on the wagon because their awful liberal arts college degree isn't stimulating them enough and they need something to do with their free time.
>>
File: 1423968596474.jpg (81KB, 640x640px)
1423968596474.jpg
81KB, 640x640px
Reminder that anyone who uses the phrase "geek culture" is trying to feel intellectually and culturally superior about their introverted hobbies.
>>
>>283604627

I'm in a circle of friends and a few of us are into gaming/comics/anime. And some of our friends like to comment things like "Oh I don't get how I'm such close friends with you geeks" and we don't get why they call us that, we do all of the "normal" stuff they do like hanging in nightlife spots, smoke weed, go in outings. They say it in a complementing way like if validating our "nerd cred". But I dunno, we just don't visualize ourselves that way. We just do it cause it's just an interest hobby, not for social recognition or to follow the fad.
>>
>>283603897

Basically, this, although I'd frame it less about "looking down" on people and more about expectations. If you were really into movies, you'd be justifiably upset or annoyed if someone introduced themselves as a cinephile, then when you got to talking about films, it turns out that they've only seen Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. You'd be especially annoyed if they started demanding that writers and directors change the kind of films they produce to suit them, drown out familiar voices at conventions and similar events never intended to cater to their tastes, and generally change a group you felt you belonged with into something that you no longer share any common interests with.
>>
File: penn for smash.png (836KB, 1200x675px)
penn for smash.png
836KB, 1200x675px
>>283602416
>First thing I see is a Dr Who gif
>>
Why are bookers so sexist? Why won't they let us girl bookers just book in peace? Why do they have to oppress our booking?
>>
File: 1420557880849.jpg (68KB, 650x424px)
1420557880849.jpg
68KB, 650x424px
>Geek culture
>>
File: 1415987700467.png (222KB, 878x838px)
1415987700467.png
222KB, 878x838px
>>283605782
>>
>>283605782
>there are gonna be children growing playing video games where the norm has to include women, people of color, and gays
>>
File: 1411136667475.gif (933KB, 343x284px)
1411136667475.gif
933KB, 343x284px
>>283603764
>openly admitting that people are invading a space they never belonged to and obviously don't fit in to
But I thought everyone has always been a "true geek" and played Zelda in their childhood, and didn't just start gaming with the arrival of the Xbox 360 and after Big Bang Theory made it cool to be a geek!
>>
>Guy likes a game
>/v/: bravo fellow gamerbro
>Girl likes a game
>/v/: BOO HISS YOU'RE JUST PRETENDING YOU BETTER ANSWER ALL THESE OBSCURE TRIVIA QUESTIONS TO PRO OF YOUR LEGIT

This is the shit people don't like.
>>
File: girl gamer.jpg (214KB, 962x681px)
girl gamer.jpg
214KB, 962x681px
>>283602743
>weeding out the original population
>>
>>283606012
Video games already include women, blacks and gays. There isn't a video game in the world that physically prevents women from playing it.
>>
>>283605983
2015-Gamers are literally isis
>>
>>283605983
I wish it stopped in 2014.
>>
>>283602416
Just play games and talk with other people that played the same games a you or similar.
>>
>>283602416
Because it's a facebook/twitter/ect trend for cheerleaders and socially adjusted people to be "lolSUCHAFUCKINGNERD!!!!", when the reality of being a nerd/geek/dork/ect is the complete opposite of what these assholes have made it.

The normies fucked turned us into what we are, then swooped in, took everything we loved, forced it to be more "normal", raped everything else to death and then expected us to love them for it.

It's arguably one of the biggest atrocities ever committed and an excellent example of a subculture being destroyed by morons who don't understand it even slightly trying to be cool. Witch is hilarious, because being nerdy and being cool are totally separate acts. It's one or the other, man.

But whatever. It's totally OK that they took everything from me, forcing me to live in the past like a fucking hippy.

But oh WAIT. They took living in the past from me too, because now there's "le retro" fake asshole nerds out there to ruin everything U used to love as well.

And now everyone wants to rant and scream about social "justice". You want social justice? Fuck off back to facebook where you belong and give me my fucking culture back! Maybe stop trying to force me to be like you and like the things you like? I don't know, maybe employ some JUSTICE in your social justice? No?

Fuck all of you. Seriously. Just fuck off and die.
>>
>>283602416
thanks to wonder woman I thought it said greek
>>
>>283604742
I think it's more the "hypocrisy" of "being excluded by other clubs only to form your own club which excludes". That said I think that's hooey. This whole stupid shtick is more complicated than it's always made out to be by those who are against it, but at the same time you've got retards with a black-and-white mentality going around bashing on people even remotely close to being "them" and not "us".

We're all just people man...
>>
>>283606069
>Guy likes a game
>his post says "I like game"

>Girl likes a game
>her posts says "why can't more games be pro-femi-trans-fat-inistic? all you male gamers are disgusting"
>>
>>283606042

> don't fit into

Alas, I disagree. You don't have to have read every obscure Manga or played every game from the 90's to be a geek.
>>
File: 1424115054433.jpg (451KB, 4040x626px)
1424115054433.jpg
451KB, 4040x626px
Is this accurate?
>>
People saw what happened to other cultures and want to stop it.
>>
>>283606257
>Greek culture
>even remotely salvageable
>>
File: Untitled98675.png (286KB, 758x539px)
Untitled98675.png
286KB, 758x539px
>>283606392
>>
>>283606069
Here's the difference:
>I like [game]
>I'm a girl and I like [game]

which one contains the worthless information that serves only to color one's perspective on the person based on their personal experiences?
>>
>>283606230
>normies
>>
>>283606336
>geek

The way I see it is if someone describes themselves as a 'geek', then they probably aren't.
>>
File: 200 percent glad.png (531KB, 497x732px)
200 percent glad.png
531KB, 497x732px
>>283606351
>that glorious feel when Neotokyo remains safe forever
>>
>>283606513

Yes, every girl does that. Totally.
>>
>>283605728

Nice bait.

Really though, who cares if it is? Its a walled garden that nobody wants to get into. CCG girls are like 1 in 100 players at best and I never met one that didn't fit in and was accepted.
>>
>>283606097
>queen is almost the size of putin
lmao
>>
>>283602416
>Actually read the article
>Implying people weren't upset that Sgt Kusanagi is being played by a white Jew
>Implying people won't get over it if the movie is good
Ha ha ha, what the fuck? Why do these people lie?
>>
>>283606551
>posting a picture of the only dumbass in the world dumber than you
>>
>>283605667


SO MUCH THIS.
>>
>>283603764
>this fucking mess of a paragraph
none of the sentences have anything to do with each other, and she just ends with fuck you
>>
Why do they insist on conflating guys who want to drag race Wu to the death with people like TotalBiscuit or those autists who talk about journo ethics?
>>
>>283606097
You read that too?
>>
File: Shiggy Mitama.jpg (5KB, 250x250px)
Shiggy Mitama.jpg
5KB, 250x250px
>>283606563
this
every actual "geek" is smart enough to abandon that label, or probably never used it anyway, because, yknow, it used to be "uncool" and why would people willingly use a negative label, except when it has been hijacked by retards who don't get what they're talking about?
>>
>>283606351
Yes. This is applicable to here, too.
>>
>>283606351
>>
File: 1414244440409.jpg (51KB, 720x720px)
1414244440409.jpg
51KB, 720x720px
>>283603764
>These people think they're fighting some crusade of women in gaming
>>
>>283606639
Why does the term "femanon" exist here, then?
>>
>>283605914
The flipside is talking to someone who's just as passionate about something as you are is one of the most satisfying conversations you can ever have. If you find a guy who played Niche Japanese Game With No Translation you'll both have lots of things to say about it.

>>283606069
>Guy likes a game
>/v/: why are you posting that you're a guy, just say that you like the game
>Girl likes a game
>/v/: same, except you must provide a picture of your breasts with your reply
>>
File: 1417613736762.png (37KB, 131x125px)
1417613736762.png
37KB, 131x125px
>wanting to be a part of "geek culture"
>not just enjoying things you like instead of shoving yourself in a niche and acting out a predetermined stereotype
>>
>>283606351
oh i get it now,
we have to create a game where virtually no one can possibly like besides us

We got a lotta work to do.
>>
>>283606724

People are lazy on both sides. Some point out a few literal retards making threats and groping girls at cons as being indicative of gamers as a whole. Other people point out Brianna and the stereotypical attention whore as being indicative of every girl gamer.
>>
>>283605139
>get made fun of for shit i like
>now everyone is into the surface level geek culture
>>
>>283604834
You don't come into a football game complaining the rules are too hard and should be changed so that paraplegic transexuals could play in the superbowl.
>>
>>283606630
Because nobody plays it?
>>
File: 1423687960549.gif (2MB, 619x619px)
1423687960549.gif
2MB, 619x619px
>>283603764
>Why are these people who we have been excluding and insulting for years getting pissy when we barge into their community and demand that they change?
Oh yeah must be hypocrisy nothing else could possibly be the problem
>>
>>283607138
remember when being weird and stupid was something that got your ass kicked in school?
now suddenly it's nerdy and quirky
how do things change so quickly?
>>
>>283606336

You don't have to have done anything in particular, but you do have to actually like "geeky" stuff. The current problem is with people who for whatever reason want to be called geeks, but don't actually enjoy the stuff geeks like.
>>
>>283607151
Oh they've tried. They're still trying. The difference is right around the time period after puberty, when boys get really big and tough, all the girls that said they could play football get thrashed.
>>
File: 194.jpg (514KB, 1248x2576px)
194.jpg
514KB, 1248x2576px
>>283606351
Time to pull a SMT, and hit that reset button and bring about a new reason for the new world.
>>
At least the Japanese developers still don't give a fuck.
Not a single dev I car about has fallen to the SJW menace.
>>
File: 1421042885385.jpg (34KB, 349x363px)
1421042885385.jpg
34KB, 349x363px
>wanting to be a geek
>wanting to dress badly and be stupid
Then again, it suits this author well.
>>
>>283607151

People have the right to free speech, son. They can clamor all they want. You too can voice your opinions and in the end the devs decide what to do.
>>
>>283606806

'geek' has had positive connotations for a long time, 'nerd' was and still is uncool to be.
>>
File: 1412906147488.jpg (46KB, 299x353px)
1412906147488.jpg
46KB, 299x353px
>>283602416
>Geek Culture
Who is that even referring too? I mean seriously, there's all kinds of "geeky" shit out there. You've got vidya, cartoons/anime, manga/comics, PnP RPGs, tabletop games, card games, etc. If there was a Venn Diagram of all these things, it's OBVIOUS that we wouldn't end up with just one big circle.

What I'm getting at is just because one person likes "geeky" stuff doesn't mean they'll like something else labeled as such. For example, plenty of people on /co/ DESPISE animu and mangos, and vice versa on /a/ (though nowhere nearly as vocal). But hey, they're both geeks, right? That must mean they have to be best buddies and just suck eachother's cocks all day, right? God I fucking hate "Geek Culture", just as much as I hate the word "gamer".
>>
File: fff.png (13KB, 673x144px)
fff.png
13KB, 673x144px
Curious about this, anyone got the original?

I'm not following GG drama but if she literally saw someone urge others to use a suicide hotline and immediately and paranoidly assumed it was some kind of scheme that shit is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>283606831
the left side reminds me of this tragic tale.
>>
None of the self proclaimed geeks wear cargo shorts fedoras and crew cut socks though
They're really just 90s kid hipsters
>>
Calling GamerGate misogynist for lashing out against the LWs is like calling a hornet's nest misogynist for only stinging women, even though women are the only ones jabbing their nest with a stick.
>>
>>283606831
What I hate about this comic is that it misses a great opportunity at a double punch wherein both options are rendered ultimately meaningless in the wake of a global alien invasion. You know, like they would.
>>
File: 1408968536628.jpg (29KB, 240x179px)
1408968536628.jpg
29KB, 240x179px
>>283607412
>free speech
But according to kotaku free speech is toxic and problematic.
We need to ban the word "bossy."
>>
>>283607434
>there's all kinds of "geeky" shit out there. You've got vidya, cartoons/anime, manga/comics, PnP RPGs, tabletop games, card games, etc. If there was a Venn Diagram of all these things, it's OBVIOUS that we wouldn't end up with just one big circle.
I think the assumption is that, as a bunch of fucking nerds, they would at least have to common ground of being losers and be civil to each other
>>
>>283603897
tarantino and potter are more like mario and zelda - stuff for children that literally everyone experienced at some point.

more adequate
>i love literature! i read gossip magazines and tabloids all the time!
>i'm totally into films! i mostly watch porn and reality TV!
>>
>>283606831
Left Side
>social autism

Right Side
>normal people
>>
>>283607082
Just add cute 2D girls.

Most normal people are repelled by that.
>>
>>283607645

Then take it up with Kotaku, not me.
>>
File: B9_Cho0CcAALUj6.png (211KB, 600x511px)
B9_Cho0CcAALUj6.png
211KB, 600x511px
>>283607441
>>
>>283607646
That's ridiculous, losers are still human like any winner. Heck, even amongst a group of losers, you could probably even divide them up as winners/losers. It's human nature, or something...
>>
>>283607551
>They're really just 90s kid hipsters
90s kids born 1996 and later.
>>
Because some very useless outsiders have come in and tried to wreck the place.
These outsiders are known as SJW.
>>
>>283607082
Dwarf Fortress?
Pathologic?
100% Orange Juice? Don't act like anyone besides /v/ plays that game.
>>
>>283607441
>>283607868
Man that's retarded.
>>
>>283602743
get fucked sjw faggot bitch cunt whore slut
>>
>>283607868
Wow. That literally couldn't have been less suspicious.
>>
>>283606831
>developing a romantic relationship with someone whose sociopolitical ideals differ from your own so greatly
that relationship is a fucking powder keg, and if it weren't for the alien invasion, would end messily and potentially with an assault allegation

but that doesn't matter, since the aliens invaded and they're all dead
>>
There is no conflict.

There's attentionwhores trying get attention, angsty teens taking the bait and actual "geeks" regardless of gender giving no fucks and playing vidya regardless of its creators as long as it's good.
>>
File: Typical v thread.jpg (19KB, 479x355px)
Typical v thread.jpg
19KB, 479x355px
>All this "Nerd culture acceptance hugbox!" bullshit

Nerd culture has always been the fat, sweaty, asthmatic version of the player haters ball from Chappelle's Show

And it's better off because of it
>>
Who gives a fuck about capitalist culture.
>I'm superior because i'm a bigger shill than you
Fuck these people, and fuck America.
>>
>tfw I just play video games, read comics and manga, watch anime, and play tabletop shit without letting any of this shit distract me

Its a good feeling when you just don't give a fuck about people yelling at each other over who is more wrong.
>>
>>283608384
the difference is one side wants to get rid of good games
>>
Am I wrong or is this whole shitstorm just a bunch of women, trannies, and fags with no discernible game making talent telling men that make games to make different types of games to cater to an unprofitable minority or to take franchises they already worked hard developing and making them LGBTQF friendly? Why is it not a valid response to tell them to fuck off and make their own games?
>>
If you enter a hobby it's normal for other people to have expectation or standards.

If a started having an interest in birds and went to some convention acting like an expert while barely knowing the difference between a pidgeon and a penguin I should be called out for being retarded
>>
>>283607868
I'm sorry but if you misinterpreted that tweet than the rest of your article can be called garbage, especially if you don't source your fucking claims.


At no point could the rest of the article be described as "still stands".
>>
>>283608384
>>283608456
I mean this guy is probably in his late 20s, so he should probably stop doing all that childish shit and do some adult shit so it won't affect him.
>>
>>283608456

No, they don't.

Asking a steakhouse to add salad to the menu doesn't make all the steak disappear.
>>
>>283602416
For a moment I thought you said greek culture. It was too confusing.
>>
>>283608535
I'd say it's like taking notice that there are almost no females in bird watching, then try to boast about being a female bird watcher at the convention.
>>
>>283603764
>how ironic
thats not ironic.
>>
>>283602416
>group up people due to their hobbies and make them into social outcasts
>everything else is too mainstream now, except for these grouped up outcasts, so better join them to be hip and a unique special snowflake
>be surprised when the outcasts question these new outsiders
>>
>>283608672
>going to a steakhouse for a salad
subtle bait
>>
>>283608672
but it does mean there will be less steaks because most of the chefs are now making salads.
>>
>>283605795

Anyone notice how suspiciously quiet he was about the actual gameplay of sjw games
>>
>>283608681
You're like the third person to post this.
>>
>>283608564
>implying they care about facts, logic and journalism integrity
>>
>>283608480
Because anon that would be being entitled.
>>
>>283608884
They don't care about gameplay
>>
>>283608456
But it won't happen. They don't play games, the consolefag millenials won't buy them because it's not COD or [annual sport title], the tourneyfags won't buy them because there's no competition, the normalfags won't buy them because they're not on phones and the oldfags won't buy them because they're not-games.

Who the fuck is buying them? The only reason this shit still exists if because you autists keep getting them press.
>>
File: 1395628459291.jpg (12KB, 208x229px)
1395628459291.jpg
12KB, 208x229px
I've been done with all this shit for a bit now. I just pirate everything.000
>>
This thread was just on /tv/. Like, exactly. You are either trolling,click baiting, or stirring up evidence to support your conclusion. Respond wisely.
>>
>>283602416
This is a fad and the "issue" will never matter.
>>
>>283608564
Her conclusion that gamergate is all about LGBBQTFSJAL hatred is all that matters
>>
>>283608672
>going to a steakhouse for salad
I think I found the source of your problem.
>>
> war
> soul
> geek culture
> picture of battered woman
> barely any clothes and cosplaying
> written by woman

never seen more obvious clickbait in my life
>>
>>283609073
can one of mein niggers post one of the kotaku guys or whatever saying how that episode of law and order happens on a daily basis or whatever?
>>
>>283608672
Preaching that all meat-eaters are murderers might.

If all they wanted was their own niche, it'd be fine, but shit's getting nomadic at this point.
>>
>>283608834

>chefs
>making salads

That's not how a restaurant works. Regardless, offering more items doesn't necessarily mean other items will go away. You could just hire another person who just makes salad.

See, the gaming industry has grown tremendously. There are plenty of people around to cook your steak and make salads.
>>
>>283608247
>Nerd culture has always been the fat, sweaty, asthmatic
and the dudebros, and the girls, and the casuals, and everybody who enters, and feminism, and retards, and autists, and conspiracy theorists, and harassers, abusers, killers, sociopaths, /pol/tards, /v/tards, nerds, billionaires, neets, normals, fags, trans, asexuals and heteros.

"Nerd culture" is constantly changing and it's whatever the media chucklefucks decide to boast it is. Everybody is part of it, or should be, or nobody is part of it, and it should be like that if not everybody is.

It gives me a headache to listen to all this people talk about inclusiveness AND segregation, complete nonsense.

WHY CAN'T THEY JUST SHUT UP AND LET PEOPLE BE?
>>
File: 1420616532985-0.jpg (79KB, 1024x512px)
1420616532985-0.jpg
79KB, 1024x512px
>>283602416
>>
>>283607868
Man that's not even my favourite misrepresentation in the article.

How about the black guy in the new star wars trailer?
>Look at how racist these fans are
EVERYONE AND THEIR FUCKING DOG, who knows two shits about star wars, knows that fans got upset because they were all on edge about disney owning the series, and random non-clone storm trooper sounded red alarm bells to them lore wise because they are like that.

They are fucking stupid, not fucking rascist. Jesus christ. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT STAR WARS FANS HERE.

I haven't even heard about these other changes, like the all female Ghostbusters 3 remake, and female thor, but the latter I think was done as publicity since there was that whole event for it or something. Anyway, I couldn't give a fuck, nor could I care about black human torch.

But the one that really rides me, is when they say these fans are hypocritcal because
>[no one cared] more recently when Scarlett Johansson was cast as Asian character Motoko Kusanagi in the upcoming live-action adaptation of Japanese anime Ghost in the Shell.

You are comparing anime fans with comic and movie fans, and anime fans flip their fucking shit over this stuff all the time! Including this cast. The reason they aren't out in full force is because Live action casts get leaked all the fucking time and getting mad over this is pointless since it's probably not going to be made or at least changed. AND THEN THE MOVIE WILL PROBABLY JUST BE SHIT. Anime fans know this.
>>
>>283603764

This quote is stupid because it's implying that the people got tired of whining and made their own club with their own rules and now someone else is butthurt about not being let in instead of fucking off to their own groups
>>
>>283607082
I thought we already had Katawa Shoujo and unteralterbach
>>
>>283608667
Cant tell if sarcasm.


Still, I'm 25 and dont give a fuck about any of this shit.
>>
File: hal jordan.png (283KB, 289x345px)
hal jordan.png
283KB, 289x345px
The only people who worry about being called a "fake geek" are fake geeks. There is no pride in being a geek - it's an insult. If you were the type of person constantly picked on for being a geek, you wouldn't want there to BE a "geek culture". The offense isn't that they're not real geeks, it's that they're using the word geek when they didn't have to go through what we had to go through.

It's like white people saying nigga.
>>
>>283609279
>That's not how a restaurant works. Regardless, offering more items doesn't necessarily mean other items will go away. You could just hire another person who just makes salad.

that would mean that these sjw fucks just make the games they want to see themselves.

no. they explicitly demand existing devs (chefs) to cater to them (make salads), and to stop making problematic games (steaks).
>>
>>283609408
I'm more pissed that fucking clapistan is going to ruin GOTS by making a live action that'll completely miss the point regardless.
>>
>>283603764
I thought that was a Xenomorph behind her for far too long, not a soldier.
>>
>>283609408
>[no one cared] more recently when Scarlett Johansson was cast as Asian character Motoko Kusanagi in the upcoming live-action adaptation of Japanese anime Ghost in the Shell.

Thats an absolute fucking lie and anyone who watches anime was fucking apoplectic.
>>
>>283609291
We're not allowed to be because our existence is offensive to these people and they want to get rid of us now.
Gee this sounds awful familiar.
>>
>>283609582

Yes, if the devs aren't making games they want then they themselves should make it. Still, I see no problem with them telling devs what they want in games. The dev either complies or doesn't.
>>
>>283609279

Your analogy doesn't work. The only way it might makes sense is if all the restaurant critics are hardcore vegans who try to coerce the steakhouses into changing their menus by branding all steak as anti-vegitism.
>>
>>283609848
But devs haven't been making games they wanted for the last 15 years or so.
>>
>>283609848
if the dev doesn't comply he will be marked as that sexist dev.
too many people go along with it
>>
File: REEEEE.png (487KB, 900x900px)
REEEEE.png
487KB, 900x900px
WHAT IF I JUST WANT TO BE A GAME FAN
WITHOUT BEING PART OF "GEEK CULTURE" OR "NERD CULTURE" OR WHATEVER THEY WANT TO CALL IT NEXT
>>
>>283609848
>Still, I see no problem with them telling devs what they want in games. The dev either complies or doesn't.

these people actively try to take over all relevant games 'media' and start a public witch hunt against anyone who dares to disagree with them. you dont consider the disproportionate influence these scumbags have a problem?
>>
>le geek culture

why is this even a phrase? I mean, most of us partake in multiple facets of 'geek culture', but who here is actually into the meta level culture of geekdom?

Even the aggregation of 'gamers' offends me on a deep level. Why do normies try to lump everyone together into easily understandable categories? It's just another game of pin the label on the human being. Yes, I play video games, but are we really going to construct an identity around that? Why is it so hard to understand that every individual is multifaceted? Why is it hard to understand that every community is multifaceted?

The funny thing is the whiners are correct, they are being 'excluded'. But not from geek culture, they're being excluded from facets of geek culture, highly specific areas with small communities which make up a social archipelago of vaguely related but very distinct hobbies and interests.

Nobody stopped Zoe and Brianna from making their shitty games. Nobody stopped Sarkeesian from making her sophomoric cultural criticism videos, in fact they were funded predominantly by people who are inhabit one of these islands of 'culture'. They are being excluded from areas where they have no history, where they have no credibility. They easily could have been included if they were willing the make some of the concessions that you are expected to make when entering a community, that you will obey their rules, that you will respect their way of doing things.

But no, they came into these communities like prohibitionists into a bar, shaking their hatchets and smashing kegs. They have their ideas of how people should act and what they should enjoy, and want to force them on other people. If they wanted to make their own, non-alcoholic, no fun allowed bar where their ideals were law, nothing was stopping them. But instead they wanted to appropriate already existing communities, and obviously there was a backlash.
>>
>>283610123
get mad when people call you a gamer just like those faggots get mad when you call them the wrong pronoun
>>
>>283610123
sorry anon, you are either a gamer who likes felicia day and supports anita sarkeesian, or a rapist. there is literally no in between
>>
File: definition-geek1.jpg (293KB, 700x1714px)
definition-geek1.jpg
293KB, 700x1714px
>Le geek evolution
>>
File: 1406935800367.jpg (143KB, 500x485px)
1406935800367.jpg
143KB, 500x485px
>nerds bullied for 30 years
>suddenly bullies decide being a nerd is the hip thing to do
>tries to bully the nerds out of nerd activities for being too nerdy

just let the entire thing burn and start over
>>
File: damn it.jpg (125KB, 1645x949px)
damn it.jpg
125KB, 1645x949px
>>283602416
>tfw you martyr yourself in the name of geek culture
for nanako-chan!
>>
>>283610123
According to the United States, you are supposed to always fit in some sort of High School clique or whatever.

If you play video games, you should wear thick glasses, own a mactop, wear beanies and own a shitload of gaming culture T-Shirts.

Any deviation does not exist, and if you don't , you must be a geek in denial, and you secretly sneak into conventions and dress like a fucking retard.
>>
>>283609848
When the chef doesn't comply the salad cunt spray paints "THESE CHEFS HATE NIGGERS AND VEGETARIANS" on the front windows and then other vegetarians come out to comment about how that is totally true.
>>
The problem is geek culture is full of undersexed dudes, a significant number of which are prone to whiteknighting. This gave feminists a very exploitable attack vector.
>>
>>283602416
I really want to get a band of writers and video-makers who are generally jovial, fun and witty individuals together and make something that's not shit.

A website dedicated to real and/or amusing reviews/videos/pictures/comics/etc. with no political agenda, only games and the importance of vidya games.
>>
>>283610239
>but who here is actually into the meta level culture of geekdom?

No one, its a fucking marketing trick.

>Oh goyim don't you want to be part of the cool kids? Buy mountain dewritos, its what the Real Nerds do!
>>
>>283606551
Normies only use le-trash-man-meme. Good job brah!
>>
>>283602416
>Geek culture
>Vydia culture
>Geeking out.png
>moviepilot.com
>>
>>283610357
why is geek a word to describe something as passionate?
why can't people just like things anymore without being a sort of geek?
>>
>>283610708
Because it's chic
>>
>>283610357
>swedish fugal opera

Basically /classical/ threads?
Thats like entry level, LOL
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 41


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.