[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What should I know about pc components? I wanna be able to enjoy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 5

File: WASD.jpg (31KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
WASD.jpg
31KB, 1280x848px
What should I know about pc components?
I wanna be able to enjoy any new vidya but my knowledge about hardware is none
>>
>>277617937
more detail please anon. What do you want to know, what each part does or which ones you should buy or something else
>>
>>277617937
http://www.logicalincrements.com/

Easy to build these days as components clicks in like LEGO.

Obviously you do not have to start $2000 range and up. Thanks to consoles most games these days can easily be played on a Fair to Good range ($500~) with acceptable frame rates.
>>
>>277618261
logicalincrements is shit, they spend way too much on case and PSU all the time. I mean come on, $528 for an R7 265 and a shit CPU?
>>
>>277618064
which parts are more important and anything I should know about pc gaming
>>
Intel CPUs are good. AMD are cheap but shit .
Nvidia has superior GPUs. AMDs are again cheaper, but for a reason.
Motherboard s are made for either Intel's or AMD's CPUs.
Strong graphics cards can require good PSUs. I recommend > 500W.
>>
>>277619204
GPU is often most important.
Fast CPU helps a lot too.
It'd be silly to get less than 8Gb RAM memory these days.
>>
File: 1359104618599.png (284KB, 491x491px) Image search: [Google]
1359104618599.png
284KB, 491x491px
>>277619394
>>
I have a question. I have an i7 960 @ 3.2 ghz. Say I upgrade to a 970 somewhere down the line do you think I should get a new mobo and processor as well?
>>
>>277619204
PSU is #1 priority. A bad PSU can fail and take your whole system with it. If it's under $20, it's almost surely shit. Good, reliable brands are EVGA and Corsair. XFX and SeaSonic are always your top end stuff, XFX is just basically a cheaper SeaSonic. Corsair and EVGA will occasionally make top end units. I suggest googling the exact model of PSU you're thinking about and looking at some reviews (not amazon/newegg). Just checking out the last "conclusion" page or whatever should suffice.

GPU/CPU are next. Anandtech has a nice GPU comparison tool that shows how GPUs perform compared to each other. Too lazy to check prices now, but typically if you're buying anything cheaper than a GTX 970, it's best to go with AMD. Always go with an Intel CPU, unless you're a video editor on a budget.

As for RAM, you can get away with 4GB, but it might hinder your ability to multitask.

What's your budget? I can whip you up a quick build.
>>
>>277619204
>anything I should know about pc gaming
KB + Mouse rule in most games.
Each PC is unique, so games tend to have many settings in options menu, especially graphics quality things. Control s are re-bindable.
Remember to update your drivers from time to time and check for patches n other fixes if you got issues.
>>
>>277619884
Soon but not yet yes.
>>
>>277617937

logicalincrements, /r/buildapc
>>
If you remove your heat sinker for any reason, make sure to bolt that thing back as hard as you possibly can so that it's hard pressed onto the paste surface. Your PC will go full retarded if there is even one tenth of a millimiter of distance between the two.

I learned that the hard way. It's also very hard to find this specific information compared to every other common newbie mistakes / trivia, despite being critical.

>>277620048
>As for RAM, you can get away with 4GB,
I wouldn't recommended that, as I got 4GB and now I actually need to upgrade, it got capped on a couple games without alt tabbing/any other program running. It's due to shit game optimization of course, but shit developers are a common thing about modern PC gaming unfortunately.
>>
>>277620403
What do you think I should get? i5 something? Actually no I am getting an i7 to handle softwares other than games.

So get a new GPU first then get new mobo and proc later? GPU is AMD 6970. Mobo is MSI X58-Pro E
>>
>>277620770
yes.
4k i7, or newer.

nvidia 970 4gb. Or wait for 960.
>>
>>277620048

RAM is cost efficient, always go 8mb.
>>
>>277621303
> 8mb
lol welcome to 1994
>>
>>277621174
Thanks. ASUS still the go to for motherboard ya think?
>>
>>277621558
It's good brand yes
>>
>>277621303
>>277621441

kek whopps
>>
I live in a hot place, what should I get to play for hours without burning my house?
>>
>>277622323
Low power components and good coolers. GTX 750ti 2Gb for example doesn't need external power.

Avoid AMD shit. Those heat up a lot.
>>
>>277622680
can confirm. Mine overheats and crashes sometimes when playing non graphics intensive games.
>>
thanks everyone
>>
>>277623343
2 of my friends have burned 4 Radeons in past four years, and we live in North. They also had poor fps or other issues, while my old Nvidia card from late 00s ran great.
so yeah, AMD are shit.
>>
>i5, avoid AMD unless you are on a budget
>don't spend more than $100 on a mobo, make sure it's the same socket as your cpu
>8 gigs of the cheapest ram you can find, brand doesn't matter
>ssd if you can afford it
>at the least get a 270x or 760
>avoid ugly ass ricer cases
>gold rated or above power supply, 550 watts at the minimum
>use google

Can this post just be stickied?
>>
/v/

how steal games now that piratebay gone

pls halp
>>
>>277624089
>obtain job
>obtain money
>buy game
>>
>>277624089
> PB
> gone
kek
>>
>>277624149
>job

is that a new flavor of hotpocket?
>>
>>277618653
the PSU is the backbone of the master race machine. Skimp on it and you're putting your whole system at risk.
>>
>>277624089
oldpiratebay.org

kick ass torrents

private trackers (which have always been infinitely superior to piratebay at any point in time, plus you dont have to worry about fake releases unless it's literally been uploaded five minutes before you getting the torrent)
>>
>>277624361
>private trackers

wat that
>>
>>277624483
torrent sites you need an invite to and usually need to maintain a certain seed/leech ratio. it ensures high seeds for most things and keeps torrents safe and legit.
>>
>>277624342
>paying $500 instead of $50 because of a less than 1% risk that could sometimes, maybe if you get unlucky break parts of your $1500 machine
Nah, it makes no sense. It's way more convenient to take the risk.
>>
>>277624591
so a secret club then?
>>
>>277624639
Who the fuck actually spends $500 on a psu?

As long as you get something gold rated from a reputable brand you should be fine. $100 is about what an average person should spend on a psu.
>>
>>277624639
show me a PSU that costs $500 that isn't for a server or something. I've never spent more than $180 on a PSU, and I always get quality stuff.
>>
>>277624639
no thats retarded.
i thought that way too at first and bought cheaper power supplies and it blew 3 of my rigs.
then i bought a crosair 850 and that has lasted me for 5 years.
rule of thumb dont buy power supplies from companies that arent well known for them and don spend under 100 bucks for them.
dont skimp on your powersupply.
i learned it the hard way and fried 5 motherboards and 3 cpus that way.
>>
>>277624778
I've never spent over 70 bucks on PSU
>>
>>277624483
A community of which every member properly reseeds anything they download, thus making it for instant maximum speed on any obscure and old game you may want to download at any time.

I've been trying to get rainbow six 3 off the internet recently, it's a decade old game but it was popular/big, yet all public torrents for it are dead already, so I ended up using a direct download instead. That shit sucks. When I steal, I want to steal with maximum convenience. Otherwise I might as well pay the small premium to get high download speeds/availability on steam or GOG.
>>
>>277625029
Hey, if you're willing to take that risk, then that's fine. I'd just rather not have to worry about how often I use my computer.
>>
Can anyone reccommend a build for about $600?
>>
>>277625279
http://pcpartpicker.com/guide/gcTwrH/entry-level-gaming-build
>>
>>277625436
Thank you anon, will I have to upgrade it in say, maybe 1 year or less?
>>
>>277625279
>>277625436
>>277625614
that's not bad, but you'd be better off spending a little more and get an i5 and a PSU that is 80 Plus Gold
>>
>>277625702
What PSU would you say?
>>
>>277625279
Save a little bit more and go for $750-800, you'll get several years worth of compatibility/performance more for just 1/4th price increment
>>
>>277625614
you only have to upgrade if you want to, I spent $400 on my pc and I can run most games from high-ultra.
>>
>>277625614
On that price range? Already heavily outdated if you plan on playing 1080p/60fps
>>
>>277625826
something like
http://www.microcenter.com/product/418821/RM-Series_RM550_550_Watt_ATX__Modular_Supply

If your graphics card says it needs 500 watts, it's good to get a PSU with a little overhead. I personally don't like to build on anything less than 650, but then I can be paranoid about power spikes and shit.
>>
>>277619610
>8Gb RAM memory these days
what game uses that much memory? pretty sure 4Gb is fine.
>>
File: ss+(2014-12-30+at+10.50.12).png (21KB, 587x389px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2014-12-30+at+10.50.12).png
21KB, 587x389px
>>277618653
I used LI's $550-ish build as a base for my current build.
I fucked up and bought the wrong mobo. Because of that, half of my RAM is only used for hardware, and I have useless USB3 ports
>>
>>277626904
ram is cheap, there's literally no reason to have less than 8GB
>>
>>277627056
okay, but you still didn't name a game that needs 8Gb to run properly.
>>
>>277627154
games don't need 8GB, but PCs aren't only used for games. Some people want to be able to multitask, and more ram is the best way to do that.
>>
>>277627154
games with High texture option (shadow of mordor among others)
dragon age: inquisition
>>
>>277627056

>ram is cheap

Not anymore, no.
>>
>>277627452
16 GB of DDR3 1600 is like $150. That seems fairly cheap to me.
>>
>>277627154
Archeage on crowded areas takes a minute to load shit if you only have 4gb

Most graphically intensive modern MMOs (black desert) don't give a good experience with just 4gb ram these days
>>
>>277620048
He is right about the PSU. It does nothing for your gaming but it's the one piece you want to focus on putting enough value even if you have to sacrifice other pieces.

This means a good brand, not more watts. A single GPU PC can get away with a 450W PSU but I'd recommend some overhead, so ~550 or at least 520.

PSUs ordered from best to least good (top to bottom) within their respective categories

>Absolute top tier (North America)
Seasonic

>Absolute top tier (Europe)
Super Flower

>Fantastic tier
EVGA
Corsair
Silverstone
Thermaltake

>Great tier
Rosewill
Fractal Design
XFX
NZXT

>Fair tier
beQuiet
Azza
Cooler Master

>"Could go either way" tier
Antec
Enermax

>Definitely shit tier
Arctic Cooling

>Avoid at all costs
Raidmax
Ace Power

>Probably bad, or not but just get one of the known good ones
Everything else
>>
>>277626924

I had that issue with RAM too (it's only appearing single-channel when there are dual installed). Try reinstalling the RAM, or check the BIOS configs.

Curiously, I believed it happened to me after I installed the mobo applications (but mine's Asus instead of Gigabyte).
>>
>>277627714

Some of these should be with Seasonic, since he's the OEM for some companies (like XFX).
>>
>>277627325
I am well aware of that. I have 16Gb for a reason.

>>277627401
>High texture option (shadow of mordo
did you actually play that game or did you just read the specs, because it really doesnt need that much
>>
>>277627642
He probably means it used to be almost half that price for a time period. But that time was years ago, but the point stands that it's still cheap enough that having less than 8GB is foolish for any system.

People constantly overlook things that will use up RAM, and there are new technologies being used more frequently that can take advantage of more RAM. For example, in a regular Windows 7 workload, using Samsung SSD's RAPID mode which utilizes RAM, while running a very RAM intensive game (like a modded minecraft), will absolutely reach the borderline between RAM and page file, and if you are doing other tasks meanwhile you will definitely cross it (with 8GB of RAM)

4GB is absolutely unacceptable these days unless it's a mediocre laptop you got as a gift.
>>
>>277628038
Well yes, but not all of them use Seasonic OEMs, therefore they cannot be up there because someone might buy one from a different OEM.
>>
>>277627714
Why no seasonic for europe
Why no super flower for murika?
>>
AMD gpus aren't even bad what the actual fuck /v/? Are you parroting the same shit from like 2 years ago?
>>
>>277628432
Super Flower doesn't sell in North America

Last I recall, Europeans complained about Seasonic costing too much to import to Europe because there is no Seasonic Europe, only Seasonic USA.
>>
>>277628049
With all other settings on high, yeah it caps out my ram. I get that annoying ram-is-capped stutter, which happens when you are ram capped.
>>
>>277628049
Are 16Gb worth/important?
>>
File: MAD GPUS.png (163KB, 580x326px) Image search: [Google]
MAD GPUS.png
163KB, 580x326px
>>277628662
I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know what people have been saying, but traditionally, Nvidia has:

>Better drivers
>More/better driver/software features
>Cooler/quieter cards
>More Nvidia-optimized games

AMD has:
>Notably better price/performance
>Much much better low-mid range cards
>More RAW power but DOES NOT translate into stronger overall gaming performance based on TFLOPS alone

However, AMD has recently evened the playing field in brand-optimized games, and gained Mantle, and Nvidia has become less heat efficient (not as bad as AMD), but they have lost the big huge one which is price/performance, to the GTX 970. They are still better than Nvidia in the low-mid range, but Nvidia has them beat in almost every category when it comes to the high-mid range.

We'll see what AMD has to offer with the Rx 300 series, but for now Nvidia is the better choice for higher end, AMD retains its price/performance for low-mid range.
>>
File: 1419102398167.jpg (915KB, 1500x844px) Image search: [Google]
1419102398167.jpg
915KB, 1500x844px
>>277629215
Do you have money to spare?
>No
No

>Yes
Do you have all your basic requirements for the PC already?
>No
Get them, make sure you reach the high price/performance sweet spot on GPU at least ($200~$330), then return to question 1

>Yes
Do you have an SSD as well as an HDD that is at LEAST 1TB?
>Yes
Buy the RAM
>No
Get both. Probably a larger HDD unless you are conservative with installs. Then return to question 1
>>
>>277617937

>large bits of adjustable plastic for muh ergonimics
>lots of led lights to enhance da gamur vision
>tribal style logos to cut intruders from EDGE

these are the ingredients to high quality GAMING gear op
>>
>>277629215
Not really. I used to do a lot of video rendering and a fuckton of multitasking. Unless you're doing any combination of the following you probably dont need that much

>vidya
>movie
>photoshop
>video rendering
>3D rendering
>music
>a billion browser tabs open at once
>>
>>277629215
Only if you want to go the extra mile for the convenience of multi-monitor shenanigans, like having a video/stream on the site, plus chat programs, plus voice chat programs, plus all kinds of other tools or internet pages open.

If you actually don't do that, or you don't do it on high-demanding games anyway, 16gb is an almost needless luxury.
>>
>>277630350
>>277630354
forgot about streaming. used to do that too, although I never noticed it using up hat much memory
>>
>>277630482
I'd imagine streaming is more CPU dependent than RAM
>>
Graphics Card>GPU> RAM>CPU>everything else
is that right?
>>
>>277629287
Omega Drivers level the field a lot. the 290/x cards are also insanely good. I can give less TDP/power consumption to nVidia, but I've never heard of AMD cards running overly hot on AFTERMARKET coolers. The reference 290/x's though were stupid.
>>
>>277630809
Yep. Definitely. Streaming is one of the cases where hyper threaded CPUs and CPUs with more than 4 cores will really benefit.
>>
>>277630921
What are these omega drivers?
>>
>>277631009
it's the latest 14.12(?) drivers AMD released.
>>
>>277630880
Graphics Card is GPU
Gaming performance? Not quite.

Assuming all components are compatible, like the PSU has the power connectors for the GPU.

GPU > CPU > RAM (having enough, NOT RAM SPEED) > Storage drive > everything else

However, the power supply takes absolute priority over every other part even if it gives no gaming performance

What I mean by storage drive is that if you have a storage performance intensive game with huge loading times, like an MMO, you may want to consider investing in an SSD with enough space to comfortably install that game on there instead of the HDD

PSU > GPU > Motherboard that isn't garbage (please stay away from mITX unless you are willing to make sacrifices / know what you are doing) > CPU > storage drive > RAM quantity > Everything else

What I mean by storage drive this time is having an SSD in the first place. It makes a world of difference in your day to day use, even if it doesn't give you any in-game performance boost (just loading times on software installed on the SSD)
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.