[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best Metroid? And why is it pic related?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 19

File: best metroid.jpg (38KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
best metroid.jpg
38KB, 320x320px
What's the best Metroid? And why is it pic related?
>>
>>267991691
>Fusion
>best
Dude, I like Fusion and I will defend it against its black sheep status all day erryday. But no. Not even close.
>>
>>267991691
Fucking Hipsters, Fusion is way too short and didnt really improve on Super Metroid. Still a good game though.
>>
>>267992913
>Super Metroid
what a fucking joke. it's so clunky and slow that the gameplay is below average
>>
>>267993102

so you're judging a game by comparing it to games that have the fortune of coming AFTER it?
>>
>>267993213
Isn't that what this thread is about?
>>
>>267993102

the freedom of control is much greater and the physics allow different ways to explore
>>
File: 1404200325099.png (1MB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1404200325099.png
1MB, 680x383px
>>267991691
Because at the end Samus turns into a goo girl and I can totally fap to that
>>
>>267992913
>run button
>those floaty as fuck physics
>those weapon controls

No thanks, Super can stay in the trash where it belongs. It's literally unplayable for me after Fusion/Zero Misson just because of its garbage controls.
>>
File: Osaka bait.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Osaka bait.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>267993102
>>
>>267993102
bad post
>>
File: 1375150110255.jpg (166KB, 669x667px) Image search: [Google]
1375150110255.jpg
166KB, 669x667px
>>267993709
>>No thanks, Super can stay in the trash where it belongs. It's literally unplayable for me after Fusion/Zero Misson just because of its garbage controls.
>>
File: 1409595898255.png (673KB, 587x646px) Image search: [Google]
1409595898255.png
673KB, 587x646px
>>267993102
>>267993709
>being unable to appreciate good games while acknowledging their flaws
Plebs, all of you.
>>
File: Metroid.jpg (43KB, 344x488px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid.jpg
43KB, 344x488px
This one.
>>
Other M.
>Speed
>Combat
>First Person
>Team Ninja
>The Baby
>Plot
>Backstory
>Grafix
>Music
>Controls
>>
I like Zero Mission the most
>>
>>267993709
Use the Control Freak hack then.
>>
File: IGA.jpg (13KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
IGA.jpg
13KB, 300x400px
What if they got this gook to make a new Metroid?

He doesn't work for Konami anymore.
>>
>>267994759
What does Kenichi Smith do now anyway?
>>
>>267994759
Didn't he make Sonia Belmont non-canon due a combination of "lol girls can't fight" and not wanting Alucard to be Trevor's father?
>>
Not counting the prime series because it's hard to quantify its qualities when compared to its 2D counterparts.

Super > ZM > Metroid > Metroid 2 = Fusion
>>
File: Fusion Zero Suit.jpg (46KB, 240x416px) Image search: [Google]
Fusion Zero Suit.jpg
46KB, 240x416px
>>267991691
I loved fusion's 'lore' and design I guess if that's what you can call it by making the whole bio suit thing, like the X being able to biologically download shit and you get your upgrades by absorbing those X instead of getting a proper upgrade

One thing I didn't understand though is that the game implied that the suit is kind of stuck on her (hence the name Fusion suit) but she can take it off fine and has absolutely no deformations
>>
>>267995035
>>267995035
huh? Stop commening
>>
>>267994356
Isn't ZM just a re-make of that with a Solid Samus and mecha Ridley thrown in
>>
>>267995104
i kinda agree
>>
File: nigga is you serious.jpg (9KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
nigga is you serious.jpg
9KB, 228x221px
>Best metroid game
>Not the fusion series of games
Not mah nigga.

>B-but those games aren't canon anon!
What?
And other M is?
Call the police I don't give a damn.
>>
Super and Zero Mission would have to be tied for favourite.

>tfw you played ZM for the first time emulated on a PSP.
>>
>>267992254
>Black sheep status
Oh the joyful days before Other M...
>>
>>267995259
The chozo have some crazy technology. The Fusion Suit probably bonds to her flesh on the cellular level, and integrates with her nervous system.
>>
Prime Trilogy, dumb fricks
>>
File: Kirby used Crash.gif (3MB, 555x312px) Image search: [Google]
Kirby used Crash.gif
3MB, 555x312px
>>267993709
>mfw I finally learned how to use Super Metroid's physics
>mfw the game was never the same again

They are there for a reason. They work.
>>
>>267991691
Because you're a casual faggot
>>
>>267996828
ZM also revamped the map to make it less nightmarish
They used to copy and paste rooms after room to fuck with your brain, and more often than not they would lead to dead ends
>>
>>267997837
The NES game came with a map.
>>
>>267995259
The power suit is connected to her nervous system and is partly powered by her chozo blood.
It can make things tricky if something goes through it and infects her.

Of course that is, like everything in non-Retro Metroids, a plot device they just make up and unmake as they go.
So don't pay it too much mind or expect it to be consistent
>>
>>267998036
>The power suit is connected to her nervous system and is partly powered by her chozo blood.

But then how does her self esteem manage to to summon the suit?
>>
File: 1408830986264.jpg (9KB, 212x160px) Image search: [Google]
1408830986264.jpg
9KB, 212x160px
>replay Zero Mission for the first time since its release
>finish it in one sitting
>actually turned it off a couple times, but picked it right back up
>the next day
>wonder if I can skip the long and ice beams
>finish it again in one sitting
>wonder if I can skip other things and change the order some more
>beat it again
>challenge myself to hard mode
>beat it again

Fuck you, Fusionfags. You're the reason Other M exists
>>
>>267993558
>Because at the end Samus turns into a goo girl and I can totally fap to that
That's not what I remember about that game
>>
>>267991691
Fusion was garbage. It was extremely linear because it inexplicably refused to let you backtrack.

Clearly, Super, Zero Mission, and Prime are the best Metroids.
>>
File: muchdetail.png (2MB, 1645x632px) Image search: [Google]
muchdetail.png
2MB, 1645x632px
>>267997963
And what a great help it was
>>
>fusion
>running around levels in specified order
>for no other reason than storytelling
>game progression not naturally advanced by gaining abilities
>7 minutes of intro nobody gives a shit about
>SAX
>omg such scare
>not the most obvious villain in the history of gaming

Metroid Fusion is bullshit from front to back and easily the worst likeable Metroid game.
>>
File: fullhalfie.gif (2MB, 178x130px) Image search: [Google]
fullhalfie.gif
2MB, 178x130px
>Plebs complaining about SM controls
>>
Fusion isn't as short as it's made to be. There's still a lot to do and there's enough mission variety.

It could have been a longer game, but for a GBA game it was pretty fully featured.

Also, SA-X is a genuinely frightening enemy and Nightmare boss was a motherfucker.

Super M still has the length and iconic bosses, but I kind of prefer Fusion's bosses and levels more.
>>
File: 1403843382774.png (117KB, 648x648px) Image search: [Google]
1403843382774.png
117KB, 648x648px
>>267998102
Like I said.
They just make shit up as they go.
I try not to think about it, but the Chozos are most likely 100% plot devices too.

Hey, why are there ruins with tech you can use?
Chozos did it.
They've been EVERYWHERE, it's fool-proof
WHy is there an OP organism completely unbalanced in its ecosystem?
Chozos made it.
Probably to counter another bio-experiment they did.
Where are they now?
IT'S A MYSTERY.
>>
>>267993709
>>267997797
I disagree. The game was/is still amazing. I also disagree because the game could be improved greatly if it was updated with better controls.
>>
>>267991691
Fusion was good. It was the first Metroid game I ever played so I have some nostalgia for it but even I would be hard pressed to say it is the best.
>>
>>267998669
I played the original Metroids and Super Metroid at launch and I still think Fusion is way up there. At least it was the most enjoyable one for me.
>>
File: metroid.jpg (82KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
metroid.jpg
82KB, 480x640px
>>267997819
>Fusion
>casual
Game had some of the hardest bossfights in the series. Exploration was gimped, yes, but the rest is moderately challenging. My favourite is Super Metroid though.
>>
>>267994491
I feel Zero mission got much worst once zero suit happened. So it's for this reason that I say Fusion is better and best metroid. Zero Mission would have been better if they extended the length a bit and removed the forced zero suit part. Zero suit should have been done another way. Also Meta Ridley is a huge faggot that dies way too quickly.
>>
File: 1401340108146.png (192KB, 365x359px) Image search: [Google]
1401340108146.png
192KB, 365x359px
>>267998550
>SA-X is a genuinely frightening enemy
No. No. No. There is nothing remotely scary about SA-X. The encounters with SA-X are entirely inconsequential. There is always a save room right before SA-X encounters. Dying to SA-X results in no loss of progress. You just restart the SA-X encounter. It's a short trial with no consequence for failure. If there was a chance to lose progres, then yes, SA-X would be scary. You would be afraid that the next room might drop you right in front of it. You'd be afraid you wouldn't be able to get away fast enough, but because there is no consequence for failing to do so, SA-X is a non-threat. It's just an annoying sequence where you run left and mash the fire button.
>>
>Not Prime 1
>Not Super
>Not Zero Mission
You don't even get to explore, which is a core part of the Metroidvania theme. At least Prime has weird room geometry that you can jump on.
>>
>>267998137
I think he's referring to SA-X as Samus. Once you defeat her in Samus' form, she turns into a blob or something
>>
>>267993558
At the end Samus is completely healed and loses her Metroid genes because Hackamoto.
She probably ditches the fusion suit since the membrane has become useless without X around
>>
>>267998660
No, really. I used to think the exact same thing. I thought Super would be fantastic if it used the same physics/controls as Zero or Fusion, but I replayed it again recently and tried a ton of the sequence breaking tricks. They're fun and satisfying to pull off but ONLY because of how Super's physics work. Once you get it, you understand why it needs to stay that way, you understand why Super's physics and controls are perfect the way they are. The momentum and gravity allow for so much freedom for the player to perform it is ridiculous. If you're a casual player, sure you won't appreciate it. It's like Super is the Melee of the Metroid series.
>>
>>267998810
I thought the Zero Suit part added a lot to it personally. It was nice to see Samus outside of using the powersuit and it added a nice segue in the middle of the story instead of just mysteriously losing weapon ability only.

>>267998817
I thought it was still well done. They could have done more with it of course. Including making SA-X more actively stalk you.
>>
>>267998745
I didn't say it wasn't enjoyable. I did enjoy it and I played the fuck out of it. It's just hard for me to say "Yes, this is the best Metroid" when other games in the series have fun aspects as well.
>>
>>267998817
I agree with this. Between its terrible AI and the fact that most encounters entail waiting for it to fuck off while sitting in a morph ball tunnel, the SA-X is a villain that tossed all potential out the fucking window early on.
>>
>>267998817
I guess you had to still have the light inside yourself when you first played the game
I can see how as an adult or jaded player the SA-X had no impact on you
>>
File: sup.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
sup.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
been doing minimalist runs lately and

is this fucker even possible on minimalist? Jesus fucking christ, even if I manage to beat him the dark world BS kills me 10 seconds after the fight
>>
>>267993213
By this logic the original Metroid is the best since no other Metroid game before it can compare.
>>
>>267998961
>sequence breaking

Only a few hundred maybe thousand people at best will ever do this. An update wouldn't just mean a control update. Also they would update the physics a bit. I would actually like to see them do a remake actually.
>>
>>267991691
1 - Super
2 - Prime
3 - Original one
>>
>>267998574
Actually the fact that those OP organisms are unbalanced in their ecosystem is usually the reasion why we need to kill them.
>Don't kill Metroid Prime? Tallon IV becomes Phaaze II and starts spreading Phazon around the universe.
>Don't kill the Ing? They take over Aether and start absorbing more and more energy.
>Don't kill the X? They'rr replicate humanity and wipe them off the face of the galaxy.
>Don't kill the Metroids? Space Pirates turn them into bioweps.
>>
>>267999214
>Only a few hundred maybe thousand people at best will ever do this.

This is what fusionfags ACTUALLY BELIEVE. Thanks for killing the series.
>>
>>267998810
The Zero Suit part grew on me over time. In a way it was refreshing because the gameplay was altered since you couldn't kill shit. The only thing you could do was stun and run. Instead of just blasting your way through enemies you had to be nimble and escape.
>>
>>267998757
Are those fucking football helmets for her shoulders?
>>
>>267999349
u no it
>>
>>267999347
Nah screw that bullshit. I wouldn't have minded it but it basically ends the game like that. I really didn't like that at all. Maybe if the game was longer and you lose your suit somewhere in the middle of the game only for a short while it would have been fine. I'm talking a very short while though and you gain a new suit quickly.

I still like Zero Mission but Fusion had better and more varied environments and bosses. The only negative I can put on Fusion is no fast way to skip dialog and cutscenes even after you have seen it 15 or more times. Also it could have been by far best metroid to me if it had skipped most of that stuff altogether. Or found a less intrusive way to tell it's story.

It's actually one of my favorite games of all time though.
>>
>>267999184

I hate this bitch so fucking much, especially on hard mode.
>>
>>267999792
try him on minimalist, getting hit once means you're dead
>>
>>267999184
Can't answer your question, but that really makes me want to replay Prime 2. Then I remember all the massive backtracks and keycollecting you have to do in it. Goddamnit. It could easily have been the best Prime if it wasn't for those things.
>>
>>267999863

I won't try but i can imagine it does.
>>
>>267999623
> I'm talking a very short while though and you gain a new suit quickly.
I still think there is something to be said for using your skills to get through the environments vs just blasting your way through enemies but to each their own.

>I still like Zero Mission but Fusion had better and more varied environments and bosses.
I agree. The bosses in ZM felt like they were lacking.

>Also it could have been by far best metroid to me if it had skipped most of that stuff altogether. Or found a less intrusive way to tell it's story.
Yeah the dialog does get old and pretty fast when you've seen it before. Especially the beginning. Nothing you can do but hold A and mash. They should have backed off on the story elements slightly. The game is pretty locked down because of it,
>>
>>268000028
if it were prime 1 style key collecting where you could gather them while playing the game normally it'd have been fine
>>
>>268000148
Well, Metroid 1 bosses were all kind of meh. I liked the updates they got in Zero Mission. I loved everything about it.
>>
>>268000319
I wonder, which metroid game had the best boss battles
>>
>>268000319
Well the original Metroid only had like 3 bosses. The updates were pretty good. ZM also added a bunch of bosses but they still feel like they were lacking something to me. Gimme MF's bosses over ZM's bosses any day.
>>
File: Oh you.jpg (84KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Oh you.jpg
84KB, 1252x1252px
>>267998278
>>267998825
>not-Halo
>best Metroid

You might as well add Other M to the list too.
>>
>>267999282
You're missing my point entirely

As things go in the non-Retro games, they introduce an OP creature
Firtst thing that comes to mind is "what the dick was this thing doing until now and HOW was its ecosystem not annihilated"

In the case of Metroids it's heavily implied they are bio-weapons and not actual natives of SR-388 crafted by Chozos to counter yet another ecosystem-wrecking organism, the X-virus.
Both are too perfect to give a chance to any other living organism to survive, so the games don't even try to pretend they're part of a natural ecosystem and just lazily implies they're bio-weapons created by an advanced race.

Of course, since designating a culprit would involve elementary plot writing skills, it always conveniently falls on the Chozos, who have conveniently disappeared so they don't have to explain shit to anyone

Retro avoided being this lazy in its Prime games by involving the Space Pirates more and coming up with original but believable alien threats (cancerous planet Phaaze, invaders from a parallel dimension, alien radioactive substance brought by "meteor"...)
>>
Its obviously super metroid op. Anyone who says otherwise needs their cock & balls destroyed
>>
SM = ZM > MP > MP2 > M > MP3 > M2 > MPH
too bad they didnt make another one
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.