[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>hardware improving faster than it ever has >phones are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 5

>hardware improving faster than it ever has
>phones are reaching console-level graphics at an alarming rate
>1080p already being phased out of phones and computers
>refresh rate problems being solved by G-sync and Freesync
>the next console gen won't even start until 2018 at the earliest (god knows how far we will have progressed since)

How are console manufacturers going to catch up? Do they even want to? Do they even care?

This is not a platform war thread. This is a hardware thread with a series question. Will console manufacturers adopt a replaceable hardware system? Will they shorted the life span of consoles? Will they release "premium" consoles that cost $200 more but have up-to-date hardware? Will they pretend the exponential improvement of hardware isn't even happening at all?

inb4 graphics don't matter

We all know most consumers care about graphics. In fact I'd wager that most consumers care about graphics the MOST.
>>
>>265861174
Such a shame the batteries only last two hours at most.
>>
Hopefully it means consoles that aren't huge power sucking boxes.
>>
>>265862129
>giving a shit about power consumption
what third world country do you live in?
>>
>>265861783
The new Xperia phones are boasting 2 day battery lives which is neat.
>>
>>265862226
Power consumption is not free nor infinite, bitch.
>>
Remember: software sells hardware, not the other way around.

It's just about gotten to the point where people don't really even care to upgrade their phones because their old phone does just the same shit. The only people buying new phones every year are the ones who are showing off just like mustard race will buy new parts immediately and likely for the same reason: showing off

Look at Nintendo and the 3ds, there's been a new model every year since release like phones do.

Mobile devices aren't really improving at an absurd rate like you're implying, gamers just would rather upgrade all at once instead of gradually.

And yeah, graphics doesn't matter. performance does.
>>
>>265862342
I doubt it. I bet it's one of tose market ploys where it's true and false. True as in it does last two days, and false as in you have to turn every feature off to accomplish this
>>
>>265862402
>graphics don't matter
>consolefags constantly bickering over which of their toys have better graphics
>>
>>265862402
>software sells hardware
>Wii U sells like shit
right
>>
>>265862402
>software sells hardware
Top kek. Is that why the PS4 sold like 5m copies when it only had like 8 games?

Graphics sells hardware. The PS4 also had a huge boost from the "we're not the xbone!" marketing.
>>
>>265862847
That's MUSTARD RACE

MAH CRYSIS, MAH 4400K
>>
>>265863856
Actually in idort, Captain Salt. Just pointing out how dumb your statement was.
>>
>>265861174
>>hardware improving faster than it ever has
first line, first lie. Technologie is stuck, science doesn't advance for shit, you only get more because the price dropped thanks to china economy.
>>
>phones reaching console level graphics at an alarming rate
Yeah 5th gen consoles
>>
>>265864112
How are they going with quantinc computing?
>>
>>265861174
>Will console manufacturers adopt a replaceable hardware system?

90% of people probably wouldn't even use it.

Most people are still surprised when I tell them you can swap out the PS3s hard drive.
>>
>>265861174
It's cheaper to convince console babbies that shitty graphix=better than to actually try and compete against PC
>>
>>265864230
r u dumb m8
>>
>>265862372
>not infinite
this bait
>>
i don't get why phone companies feel the need to do this
games and fun apps are not supposed to be the main purpose of the phone
>>
>>265862372
But its dirt cheap. I don't even bother turning off my computer when I go to bed anymore.
>>
>>265864451
Phone companies don't, little pissant mobile developers do.
>>
>>265864112
Consumers getting access to top-end hardware is still an advancement.

>>265864285
If they marketed it then they will. FOMO is a strong force. Look at the iPhone 6. Most people are getting the 6+ even if they don't want a big screen. They just want to be able to say "I have a 6+, not the regular 6"
>>
first of all, even the best looking smartphone game is only second best compared to killzone: merc on the vita.
And the day a smartphone can run a game like the witcher 2 or arkham city in 720p on a smartphone on the same level as a last gen console is years away.

And another thing, people dont give a fuck that they are playing on console in lower graphics and lower res, yes they are casuals, but they dont know any better.
Just look at the large number of people who are still playing on there xbox and ps3;
>>
>>265864364
It's only resolution and textures.
>>
video games are majority played by kids, this is why consoles are popular and will remain popular as they're literally just dumbed down specialized PCs

as long as they have exclusives older gamers will continue buying them too

don't believe the shills, don't believe the myth, consoles aren't going anywhere
>>
>>265861174

this is a hardware thread and i have a serious question: did you mean to post thing on /g/?
>>
>>265864681
Nope.
>>
>>265861783
tfw my droid razr maxx lasts for a solid week or more with light use.
>>
>>265864629
>consoles aren't going anywhere
No one's implying that. I'm just implying consoles will change. Sony has already said the PS4's life cycle will be short. That's a sign right there that shorter gens are coming.
>>
>>265861783
Why does that matter? It is not like your console runs on a battery. Just keep your phone plugged in when you want to play vidya for long hours.Not that you will, video games are ass on phones anyway.
>>
>>265861174

>We all know most consumers care about graphics. In fact I'd wager that most consumers care about graphics the MOST.

Which is why the best selling consoles of all time are the most underpowered consoles, you colossal retard. I wish this was an actual wager so I'd make money off your stupid ass.
>>
What it'll take is apple or google releasing their own console which is completely backwards compatible and gets yearly hardware upgrades.
Smartphones are already completely dominating the handheld market because sony and nintendo are stuck in their old release cycle ideologies. Nintendo is trying to get back in the game with the new 3ds but unless they can put out a new new 3ds a year later it's going to be a waste of time on their part, because by then smart phones will already be 4k and have octa-core processors.
>>
>>265864451
>games and fun apps
What brand of phone has either? It's just an inefficient way of browsing the internet. And more was never needed for phones.
>>
>>265864937
Well Sony doesn't make games so I don't think they have a choice.
>>
>>265863339
>software sells hardware
>PS2 was the weakest and sold the most by far with the better games overall
>>
>>265865358
just because it isn't fun for you doesn't make it fun for others

but, these same people are ruining the vidya industry because they're all casuals who only play pay2win games
>>
>>265863339

And yet Wii Sports is the best selling Nintendo game of all time and is the reason why the Wii sold the most consoles last gen.
>>
>>265863339
but WiiU only has kiddie shit that noone but autists care about
>>
File: 4-chan-laptop-revolution-maxwell.jpg (230KB, 1359x585px) Image search: [Google]
4-chan-laptop-revolution-maxwell.jpg
230KB, 1359x585px
Laptops can have titan-level power in it's small form factor, with just 180watts and super cooling thanks to maxwell.

Consoles are pretty much obsolete when a 300buck GTX 970 can play battlefield 4 at 4k resolution, 4x MSAA at 30fps (60fps 1440p).

It's not even 1 year since consoles were out, sony is definitely going out of this race and microsoft + nintendo will remain, but consoles won't be anywhere as big as the last gen.
>>
>>265865127

i think it would be more correct to say that the best selling console of each generation since the SNES era, has not been the most powerful
>>
>>265865127
Times change, anon.

Video games have become a normalfag market, and normalfags love good graphics.

>>265865458
Uh.. what?

Console manufactures decide when gens end and begin. How fucking dumb are you?

Will you take EA's word on it, chucklefuck?
http://www.vg247.com/2013/11/28/ps4-xbox-one-generation-to-last-5-6-years-says-eas-soderlund/
>>
>>265865614
wii sports is bullshit
everyone praises it for its high sales, but it shouldn't count since it's bundled with every wii
>>
>>265862226
Germany.

$0.40/kWh.
>>
>>265865986
Isn't Germany mass-banned on /v/?
>>
>>265865658

i think its gonna be modular consoles next gen

remember the n64 with its expansion pak? or how you can take the optical drive out of a laptop by pressing a release button? its gonna be like that. easy to remove and replace modules
>>
>>265865679
the snes wasnt even marginally more powerful than a genesis, it only had more colors and the mode 7 thing
the pc engine was stronger than the two, it just didnt have many background layers
>>
>>265865491
PS2 sold more initially because of the DVD player, that was it. The games only came to it BECAUSE of the huge install base.
>>
>>265866039
No? What the hell.
>>
>>265865986
Don't worry, Germany is quietly abandoning green power generation for coal.
>>
>>265866126

i'm talking systems that were actually in the race at all here anon

theres a reason no one ever brings up turbografix, neo geo or atari jaguar when discussing that time period
>>
>>265865712
>Console manufactures decide when gens end and begin. How fucking dumb are you?
Not if no one is supporting them, ps2 kept getting games even after 'Sony started the next gen with ps3' because they had no games. And still Sony hasn't made a single game for ps3 to date.

Same slick with ps4. Only thing ps4 is selling.
>>
>>265866143
Snes was weaker too, also the Wii. Gameboy was weaker than NeoGeo... actually, all the consoles that won its generations were weaker. PS4 being the sole exception, while the gen is just starting thought.
>>
>>265866496
>implying a PS5 wouldn't sell like hotcakes even if it's released next year

How dumb are you? Have you not seen how stupid consumers are these days?
>>
>>265866039
Nah they just send letters to your homes when you download da music
>>
>>265866343
it was huge in japan, just not in the west

even then the amiga was equally as huge in europe and had better specs than the snes
>>
File: 1411665739934.jpg (157KB, 1019x710px) Image search: [Google]
1411665739934.jpg
157KB, 1019x710px
>>265861174
Where were you when the Unique selling proposition of consoles actually became gimicks.

It doesn't matter when it's fun.
>>
File: z3c_vs.png (13KB, 687x304px) Image search: [Google]
z3c_vs.png
13KB, 687x304px
>>265862530
Not sure about the Z3, but the Z3 compact is legit getting great reviews on the battery
mainly because it's 4.6" screen, 720p resolution and 2600mAh battery
>>
Why can't I just attach a console mobo to my computer and pirate games using it, the pseudo emulation!
I have no significant other, all I care about is my computer, booze and cars
>>
>>265866629
>How dumb are you? Have you not seen how stupid consumers are these days?
If one thing it shows how quickly they change their opinion. Essentially all the ps4 sales came from 360 drones who thought the ps4 would be better.

Then they noticed the ps4 had no games, you honestly think they would support those baka gajins again? okay you got a point
>>
>>265861783
I took my LG G3 of the charger at around 08:00 today and now at 22:43 the battery is at 45%. This is with moderate to heavy use during the day. I commute to Uni for about an hour during which i play games and watch videos. While it is certainly a problem with older devices i feel like handset makers are slowly solving the problem of battery life. Either through higher battery capacities or software tricks to optimize power usage.
>>
>>265866772
Why can't I connect my WiiU to my PC and use my 2k components I never use but for emulation of said Nintendo games and indies.

They just need some DRM client. Pretty sure they can pull it off.

Or just make your console x86 next time.
>>
File: 56600-Probotector_(Europe)-1.jpg (84KB, 448x651px) Image search: [Google]
56600-Probotector_(Europe)-1.jpg
84KB, 448x651px
>>265866643
I think Germany is a pretty cool guy, eh puts mechas in Contra and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
>>265867071
I was very disappointed they didn't make sheena from hardcorps into a mech girl
>>
>>265861174
Always remember that in about 10 years we will be replaced by computers, and be put to death, since we underperform.
>>
>>265861783

>meanwhile those phones have a longer battery life than a 240p 3DS
>>
>>265861174
>tfw the S5 has 2 gigs of ram.
>>
>>265863856

>meanwhile consoletards bitching at each other over 1080/720/30/60 on a daily basis
>>
>>265861174
>>hardware improving faster than it ever has
Not really. Unless you mean getting smaller, but the jump each year between 2010-2014 is not quite as big as 2000-2004 or 1995-1999
>>
>>265861174
>>>/g/
>>
>>265862402
Lol
>>
>>265861174
>>265864112
you both are idiots...
technology is progressing a nearly the same exponential rate it has been on since 1965
Moore's law
check it
>>
>>265861174
Can we stop acting as though resolution as the definitive measure of a GPU's capabilities?

Did we magically forget how textured and lit polygons were also a thing? Hell, even rendering hair is a challenge yet to be perfected.
>>
>>265861174
Consoles became technologically obsolete around the time of the Xbox

They only still exist because Sony and Microsoft and Nintendo have money to fund platform exclusives, and they're not seeing anywhere near the numbers they used to.

There will be no next console generation, only an increase in PC assembly and resale.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.