[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Destiny is the biggest bomb in video game history. Only 4.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 36

File: destinyf.jpg (176KB, 1212x681px) Image search: [Google]
destinyf.jpg
176KB, 1212x681px
Destiny is the biggest bomb in video game history.

Only 4.5 million sold in first week
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251897/destiny-sells-455-million-units-first-week-worldwide-ps4-nearly-sells-500k-units/

Now if we were do to the math you will see why Destiny bomb.

$60 x 4,500,000= $270 million in revenue. Publishers get around $25-$30 per game sold. Activision would be getting less than half of the total revenue.
http://kotaku.com/5479698/what-your-60-really-buys

So Avtivision gets $130 million while investing $500 million. That's a lost of $370 million. Since most video games sell 80% of their lifetime sales in the first (unless they get really good reviews) we could assume that activision will be losing more than $300 million from Destiny.

Top fucking kek
>>
You are retarded.
>not counting the PS4 bundle
>not counting limited and ghost editon
>they already confirmed that 500 million was not spent on this game
Do research before making shitty threads, you fucking retard.
>>
>only 4.5 million sold in first week
>only
>4.5 million
Stopped reading there. How anyone can call that a "bomb" is beyond me
>>
>>265577808
Well he does have sources. So it must be true.
>>
>kotaku
>no pastebin
>>
File: [unlimited power intensifies].jpg (8KB, 295x300px) Image search: [Google]
[unlimited power intensifies].jpg
8KB, 295x300px
>>265577590
Destiny is a shit game, but even I can admit that it did well sales wise.
>kotaku
go fuck yourself
>>
>>265577590

Bungie soured their reputation with this game but youre a fucking mongoloid if you think 4.5 million in one week is a bomb. Or that it wont be financially successful.

Please think your threads through before making them
>>
>>265577808
The ps4 bundle and limited edition are counted you idiot.
>>265577884
What good is selling 4.5 million if you still lose over a quarter of a billion dollars?
>>
>>265577884
Because game budgets are *absurdly* bloated these days. Even more so than film budgets. It's the same principle as LotR being hugely profitable and The Hobbit being moderately profitable: same money in, much more money out.
>>
>>265578315

They didnt lost anything, they made it all back in a week
>>
>>265577973
>>265578095
https://archive.today/agm2r
Here you go
>>
>>265577590
They didn't lose any money retard, they already made back their investment by selling to retailers. If anyone loses money it will be the retailers.
>>
>doing the math

stopped reading there. you have no clue what you are talking about, you dont know the contracts, you dont know the money spent, and the fact you think 500 million dollars was already spent in full shows you are just a tool spouting shit you read on /v/

grow a brain kid
>>
>>265577590
>kotaku

fuck off back to neogaf you pathetic, sjw, beta faggot.
>>
>>265577590
Wow OP, this is just pathetic on your part. You sound like a desperate doomsayer clamoring to be right by whatever means necessary. I see a cardboard hat over your head cause you couldn't afford tinfoil.
>>
>>265577590
>people still think that Activision sunk 500 mil into a single game
>people still can't figure out that the IP isn't going to be a single game
http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/06/21/activision-destiny-one-of-the-biggest-investments-in-new-ip-in-this-industry-wont-conflict-with-cod/
>>
>>265577590
>Since most video games sell 80% of their lifetime sales in the first

bull fucking shit

Black friday is a stone's throw away and Christmas is around the corner.

They'll recoup their entire spent before year's end.
>>
>>265578407
No they didn't.

They said they did sell $500 million worth of units to retailers, however if those units don't sell they can send it back to publishers for credit to buy their other games like Call of Duty. They will be losing money either way since they wouldn't be making money on the Call of Duty sales.
>>
>>265578721
And they didn't spend $500 million in the first place on this one game, so what is your point?
>>
>>265577590
Ignoring all the complete dumb assiary here it's been confirmed that the budget for Destiny wasn't $500 million, someone was miss quoted. It wasn't anywhere near that much.
>>
>>265577884

>How anyone can call that a "bomb" is beyond me

Tell that to companies like SquareEnix. I think Tomb Raider did about 5 million and they still regard it as a "failure" thanks to bloated marketing budgets that have now reached higher than dev budgets thanks to Destiny.
>>
>>265578721

http://pulse2.com/2014/09/23/destiny-hit-325-million-in-first-five-day-sales-113095/

They didn't even spent 500 million on Destiny and they made 325 million in five days. This isnt even counting digital sales.
>>
>>265578945
Square also projected the game to shatter sales records to meet its goal. The actual sales weren't the issues, it was a publisher who hasn't known what the hell they're doing for over a decade now.
>>
>>265579297
They didn't make $325 million. You still have to pay retailers, Sony/Microsoft, and the developers their share.
>>
>>265579320

>a publisher who hasn't known what the hell they're doing for over a decade now.

No arguments there on my end.
>>
>>265579592

lol? You don't know what you're talking about so there's no point in bringing what you dont know about
>>
>>265577590
OP stop being a fake economist and get some real data
>>
File: 1411411131188.jpg (10KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
1411411131188.jpg
10KB, 230x230px
>>265579820
>y-you don't even know what you're talking about, s-so i-i'm not even going to bother to explain myself

Bungiefags, everyone.
>>
>>265581313

>You still have to pay retailers

Bungie/Activision don't need to pay shit to retailers, they sell their products to them not the other way around :-)
>>
>>265577590
The 500 million figure is a projected figure for how much they expect to invest in the Destiny IP over the next 10 years OP.
>>
>>265577808
Dohoho, someone's butthurt. I guess viral marketing on the internet isn't the most prosperous of careers? Do you at least make more than the average WoW gold farmer?
>>
When is it coming out for PC?
>>
>>265582218
Destiny 2
>>
File: 1,0971071.07 MB.gif (1MB, 266x268px) Image search: [Google]
1,0971071.07 MB.gif
1MB, 266x268px
>talking about the game's sales/cost instead of the game itself

what a stupid thread
>>
>>265577590
Your calculations are accurate, but you forgot to take one thing into account.

DLCs revenue.
>>
>>265582348
The game offers nothing to talk about. It's that stale and boring.
>>
>>265582305
But I'm really curios about it. Did they ever say a date or anything?
>>265582348
/v/ is always pulling this shit. How is the game anyway? I heard mixed reviews. How is the gameplay and multiplayer?
>>
File: 1410115179903.gif (2MB, 200x293px) Image search: [Google]
1410115179903.gif
2MB, 200x293px
>>265577590
Jesus fucking Christ, pieces of shit like you will never shut up about other people having fun.
"Boo hoo. Millions of other people like a game that I don't."
Go fuck yourself. Most of /v/ has their head stuck up their ass anyway, and won't allow themselves to have fun with ANYTHING. Expand your fucking horizons, you child.

Also, here's a tip that most everyone online seems to forget. Opinions mean shit. They aren't truth. They mean nothing unless you're talking to people who care.

Do yourself a favor and go make a thread about your favorite video game or something instead of this shit. Make a POSITIVE thread. Holy fuck, I can almost feel your fedora through the screen.
>>
Does this game have legs? If I buy a PS4 in 6 months, is this game going to be forgotten?
>>
>>265578370
film budgets are equally as bloated as video game budgets. The difference is hollywood doesn't include the marketing budget in the production budget. But hollywood will typically match the marketing budget to the production budget. So if a movie cost $210 million, at least another $210 million was spent on marketing.
>>
>>265582646
Are there people that actually like the game? I actually still want to buy it if it comes out for PC
>>
>>265581927
Does your dumbass think that retailers pay $60 for a game just to sell it for $60?
>>
>>265577590
>vgchartz
Do I have to say it? Stop using that site you idiots.
>>
>>265582646
>Expand your fucking horizons

That statement doesn't really work when you're using it in defense of something so mass market and generic. It'd be like telling someone to expand their horizons with Mc'Donalds
>>
>only 4.5 MILLION SOLD FIRST WEEK

OH NOOOOOOOOOOO

LE EPIC TORTANIC FACE
>>
>vgchartz
>>
>>265583307

Do you know the amount? Cause it's deemed as a success for the shares atm ;-)
>>
>>265579297
The language activision keeps using in their destiny press releases is "WORTH OF." Which means they shipped $500 million WORTH OF destiny to retailers then retailers sold an estimated $325 million WORTH OF destiny.

the distinction is important because since they're saying "worth," they can count the full retal price plus tax. Which means $500 million worth of destiny translates to 8 million copies shipped, then $325 worth of destiny sold means 5 million copies sold, give or take.

The really fun thing about this 'WORTH OF' language is the 360 snd ps3 copies. See, anyone who buys a copy of destiny for the 360/ps3 gets a free xbone/ps4 copy, respectively. So that means since activision keeps saying 'worth of,' they can count every 360/ps3 sale twice. Which can apply to shipped copies as well. Which makes the entire "$500 million shipped" and "$325 million estimated sold" figures completely and utterly meaningless. They aren't technically lying, but the way they're wording it gives them the ability to say anything.
>>
>>265577590
>Linking to kotaku
Opinion discarded
>>
>>265583854
The shares dropped like 5 points after Destiny was released. It's a failure in term of finances, so deal with it.
>>
File: 1410932252378.jpg (33KB, 191x226px) Image search: [Google]
1410932252378.jpg
33KB, 191x226px
>People actually like and bough this game
When will you stupid faggots learn? This is the third over hyped AAA game this year that turned out to be generic trash stop buying this fucking things you idiots the industry is stale as fuck and it's going to stay that way for a long ass time if you fucks don't grow up as consumers
>>
>>265582896
Its mostly already forgotten. Gamestops are starting to return their unsold copies. The non-specialty chains are getting most copies they sell back as "defective."
>>
>>265577590
>Launching mmo's on consoles and expecting them to live past the 1 month hype
>>
>>265584139

>B-BUT ITS A FAILURE I KNOW CAUSE I KNOW :<

Yeah right, this game is a massive success :-)
>>
Hey, hey guise, I don't like the direction modern video games have been going, so Destiny was a giant failure because one debunked source said its budget was 500 million with no proof whatsoever.

I selectively make arguments like an adult.

Don't get me wrong: I don't think the game is all that great, I'd give it a solid 6.5/10. But this shit is dumb.
>>
>>265583980
Also lets not forget that Microsoft was giving any free physical game with every Xbox one sold during the release of Destiny. So that only inflates the numbers.
>>
Hey, OP, you forgot the part about how if destiny doesn't sell over 5 million copies, then activision can pull the plug on the franchise. The "over" bit is important, as it basically means activision can pull the plug no matter how many copies it sells.

Since there really is no reason for destiny to sell another million or so copies, destiny will most likely be dead by christmas.
>>
>>265577590

People like OP are the reason /v/ is borderline retarded.

They didnt spend 500 million on Destiny alone. It's the entire cost for the triology, including marketing and production costs.

According to Bungie it didn't cost even 60m USD to make Destiny.

They also have 5x expansion packs to sell and two new entries for the series.

Destiny is a (finanical) success.
>>
>>265577884
EA said that AAA games selling less than 5 million arent worth it.

So with a AAAA game like this we can guess they are still far from even.
>>
>>265584180
It's a fun game though
>>
>>265584375
same with sony and the ps4.
>>
>>265582424
Then why do you give a shit about it's sales?
>>
>>265577884

Because of development costs, nublet.

If it costs you say, 375 million dolllars to make a game along with the cost of marketing added in, and your game after selling 4.5M units generates only $275M, that's a major loss.

Keep in mind that since games come out on a nearly weekly to monthly basis, as not all teams across the industry start making games at the same timescale, analysts and finance departments have optimized revenue generation periods to one week.

If sales in the first week aren't able to break even the cost of development & marketing, within the first week, it's a commercial failure even IF, the next three weeks thereafter, generate enough sales to turn a profit. This is especially the case since investors & hedge-fund entities generally view the viability of a stock and it's ability to generate profit on micro-scales.

If you're individually invested, then you might wait another week or two and watch how the stock rises or falls to sell or retain. But for major investing agencies, who are managing the investment of thousands if not tens of thousands of people, they can't sit around to wait for a week or two or three. So if it APPEARS that the game is a commercial failure within a week of launch, it's "SELL SELL SELL." This drives down value of stock, and if the game ends up being a success later, the entities can reinvest into the stock, which is now worth lower than where they sold it. Then, if the stock value rises, the next time they sell it, they'll turn a profit again.

tl;dr, if it takes 13M unit sales to break even, and you sold only 4.5M, you fucked up. Even IF, 9M get sold in the next 3 weeks. Time is money.
>>
>>265577590>implying the 500m is for one game, and not the trilogy deal
You are such a retarded faggot.
Enjoy shitposting your shitty little games you fucking mung.
>>
>>265584486
>they
>according to bungie

You do realize ACTIVISION is the one who blows millions on marketing and other costs, right? Just because destiny only cost bungie 60 million to make does not mean activision did not spend another 400 million.
>>
>>265584263
Fucking ouch
>>
>>265577590
>Publishers get around $25-$30 per game sold.
Try 15-20
>>
>>265584676
Because activision can pull the plug on the franchise if it does not sell over five million copies.
>>
>>265584584

Its so horrible that even casual-pandering journalists say its shit.

If you think its good you must be some sort of mega-casual 10 year old who never played a game older than 2 years.
>>
>>265584584
i've played the beta on PS3 it's a sub par version of halo
The industry refuses to change unless we stop buying into this shit seriously look at all of the FPS we keep and will keep getting for Christs sakes we're lucky if we get a third person shooter every now and again
as long as the industry is obsessed with FPS and AAA games we will never see the return of middle market games or creativity again
>>
File: caution sharp edges.jpg (51KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
caution sharp edges.jpg
51KB, 350x263px
>>265577590
So edgy I almost cut myself on your post.
>>
File: v when discussing economics.jpg (17KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
v when discussing economics.jpg
17KB, 600x338px
>>
Hollywood accounting will let Activision have tax breaks

Im guessing
>>
>>265577590
nice shitposting

Everyone knows is $500 mil for the series
>>
>>265584612
The Destiny bundle was $450. You were just getting a $10 discount.
>>
>>265584486
>Calling others retarded and showing how dumb you are.
IF the other pieces sell well, it COULD be a success.
There is $500 million invested in Destiny and its first release hasn't made up for its third of the cost yet.
Destiny is a meh game, maybe 3/5 so the chances of even a third of people who own it now buying the doc are low
And the chances of those third buying the sequals are even less.
And since each piece will have to make up for the previous lack of sales it will just fall further behind.
>>
>>265584754
this man gets it
>>
File: 1408685998777.gif (2MB, 319x258px) Image search: [Google]
1408685998777.gif
2MB, 319x258px
>>265578707

>They'll recoup their entire spent before year's end.

No they won't because the concensus is that Destiny is shit.

Everyone's saying it. Not just /v/. It's not going to break 7 million.

Destiny needs to sell 10 million lifetime to break even on the costs of the first game alone. The full franchise is something more like 25 million products sold; at full price.

>Mfw I made the Destiny bankrupting Bungie prediction before the game came out, and /v/ laughed at me.
>>
>>265582551
The core gameplay is solid. As a shooter it isn't quite as good as some of the top tier games but when you factor in the RPG elements it rounds out pretty well. The shooting is fun, the music is great and it looks really pretty. However they totally drop the ball on the writing which is a shame, but not critical depending on what you want.

It is a bit of a grindfest at the end-game featuring MMOlike RNG driven progression and there are plenty of issue. No player trading, no matchmaking for like half of the content, not enough content(though what is there is pretty replayable), no maps in free roam despite ODST having a map, always online to play due to the MMOlike nature, slightly poor netcode which is more of an issue in the kinda shallow versus multiplayer. I could go on being really nit picky.

Basically it's a good idea and at its core the game is really fun but it need more content and there are lots of missing features they really need to get in, and some polish wouldn't hurt. I'd say it's a rough diamond at best right now but has room to grow. Most of what you've read is true but theres something fun at the center which can help you overlook the issues for now.

As for Destiny 2 there has been no official word on how it would even work or when it will come or what platforms it will be on. But PC has been confirmed to be a part of the Destiny franchise at some point in leaked legal documents. I would hope that Destiny 2 just kinda straps on to the existing content in a giant expansion pack kinda fashion or that you can go back and forth between the two since it is kinda MMOish in a way but it's hard to say what Destiny 2 will be.

Anyway I hope my rushed back and forth thoughts on the game help inform you somewhat in a kinda balanced way.
>>
>>265583287
People don't seem to understand that MILLIONS like this game. Outside of this shitworld thread, that is. Bungie is expanding thus game every couple months for years. The area for addition is gigantic with the game still being great, IN MY OPINION. I'm super excited for the expansions and planets.
>>
>>265582348
Why do people have an issue with sales discussion?

It's video game related. This is a video game board for discussion of video games and things relating to them.

That includes the games themselves, but it also includes discussion of the market, discussion of people within the industry, and all sorts of directly related discussions to the core subject of the board.

OP is stupid for his huge generalizations of how things work in terms of money and how he assumed the games first week represents all the money that will come out of the IP as a whole, but the concept of discussing a games sales or cost isn't inherently stupid at all.
>>
>>265585194

No, they didn't invest 500 million in it instantly.
It's the entire cost for 3 games AND their marketing AND their expansions.

500 / 3 = 166m

And original Destiny is yet to get PC release that has been hinted and 5 major expansion packs, with first one hitting in December.
>>
>>265585028
>economics
Oh the irony.
>>
>>265581927
Son, all the "$325 million worth of destiny" figure means is that portion of the "$500 million worth of destiny" initial shipment can't be returned to activision.

So, unspun, translated out of bullshit marketing language, the two press releases mean nothing more than

>We shipped about 8 million copies and sold about %65 of that in five days.

Since the vast majority of destiny's hype has completely died by this point, most new destiny players won't buy new copies for the game. They'll rent, buy used, or even borrow.

The only way destiny could've succeded was to sell out of the initial shipment before everyone realized it was shit. That didn't happen.
>>
File: 1411548411354.gif (104KB, 942x1441px) Image search: [Google]
1411548411354.gif
104KB, 942x1441px
>>265577590
Shame. Here I was thinking I was having fun. Guess I wasnt, because it flopped. Must have just been artificial fun.
>>
>>265584180
>>265585020
Anybody going to listen to logic and reason here?
>>
>>265577590
looks like all those bogus reports about Desinty selling $500 million to stores didn't fool enough people.

From what gameplay I've seen on youtube Destiny looks boring as hell. Running around big empty maps shooting at the same two kinds of enemies with no strategy.
>>
>>265586139
Bungie employees are fighting for their jobs, yo. If destiny flops pretty much everyone at bungie is unemployed.
>>
Destiny's problem as a game is simply this:

Every core component of Destiny is done extremely well. If you were to grade it, stand-alone, part by part, then take a weighted average of it, you'd get a 9.25-9.75/10 game. There's some rough edges here and there, but overall it's an amazing thing.

But we don't play games on a part by part basis. We don't read stories or watch movies on a part-by-part basis. In other words, we don't listen to all the dialogue a character might say over the course of the entire game. Then repeat this for all other important characters. Finally, once done, then we don't sit in front of the TV and point a gun into nothing and shoot for 15 hours even if shooting the weapon on screen is very satisfying. After that, we don't watch enemies fire into nothing for 15 hours, then have animations happen for 15 hours, then explosions, then particle effects; and finally, watch the scenery be a static frame for 15 hours while looking magnificent.

No, we do all of that at once, as one cohesive piece to enjoy and interact with.

This is Destiny's failure. It does everything extremely well in isolated states, but together it completely falls apart and comes across as a cheap and no fucks given attempt at making an MMORPG-type FPS with limited social options.

What separates great games from bad games is the ability of the development team to take every disparate piece and stitch it together so what comes out is velvet embroidery worth a million, instead of a retard with a sewing machine.
>>
>>265585020
It's like a more casual version of Halo. People called Halo 4 a CoD version of Halo, but Destiny fits that much better.
>>
>>265586281
You just impled destiny's story was 9/10.
>>
>>265586262
Sounds great.
>>
>>265586281
We talking about sales here faggot. Not the gameplay, go to /vg/ with that shit
>>
>>265586281
gee slow down charles dickens
>>
File: 1411175156275.jpg (27KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1411175156275.jpg
27KB, 600x450px
>>265577590
You are so dumb, Jesus Christ just kill yourself
>>
>people defending destiny
>and bungie

Why /v/?
>>
>>265585391
>>265585548
Alright, thanks anons
>>
File: Activision logic.jpg (67KB, 635x475px) Image search: [Google]
Activision logic.jpg
67KB, 635x475px
You know, even if the game DID have record-breaking sales (which it didn't) and even if it DID make money (which it doesn't), it would still be a failure because it's unanimously being shitcanned as a boring title with no content and a community filled with buyer's remorse.

So that's that. /v/ was right again. Destiny fails.
>>
>>265586404
Indeed it does. But it also explains the extreme amount of logic shielding in any destiny thread.
>>
Did anyone ever give source on the 500 million dollars shit?
>>
>>265586532
No, that's why we all keep repeating it.
>>
>>265577590
>biggest launch for a new IP in gaming history
>bomb

No matter how many times you call Destiny a flop, or a bomb, or blunder of the century, you're still going to be wrong.
>>
>>265586470
The power of viral marketing shills.

Nobody on /v/ likes the game. It's shills. Thousands of Asians, getting paid cents per post, to defend the game and pretend we should all buy and play it.

I'm serious.
>>
File: 1397780639778.gif (3MB, 445x247px) Image search: [Google]
1397780639778.gif
3MB, 445x247px
>>265577590
>assuming $500M
>not counting the years of DLC included in that imaginary number
>being this mad because you can't play it
>>
File: 1406416616716.jpg (1MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
1406416616716.jpg
1MB, 3072x2304px
itt retard doesnt comprehend 500 mill was for entire franchise not just one game
>>
>>265586395

It's lore is really great. The dialogue is terrible and conveying the meaning of character actions and how they tie into the lore, is pretty much non-existent.

So it's a rough edge that needs a LOT of polishing. But that can be fixed in time.

*I'm basing all of the above from user opinion and gameplay of non-marketing or developer or "customized" footage on youtube. I haven't played the game in any capacity, but have read some of the materials on the Destiny wiki.
>>
>>265586642
there's not going to be a destiny 2
>>
>>265586601
Except it's a shit game. I bet Bungie will disband over this fiasco - Bioshock Infinite and Irrational Games all over again.
>>
>>265586364
That was because of the mechanics first introduced in Halo 4 the kill cams, sprinting, Create a class etc
But this should really tell us something when a developer is incapable of making anything but Bland syfy shooters especially with all that talent they used to have now they're just a shallow husk of a developer trying to be the next CoD
>>
>>265577884
This. Only Square-enix and Capcom would consider that a bomb.
>>
>>265586281
I feel the issue is more that there is a creamy core but the trappings that surround it are just so half baked. If the structure and feature set that surround and support the core gameplay were better it would be a 9.5/10, but as is the game is really fun core gameplay that is just poorly structured and doesn't have the feature set or amount of content it needs leaving it at a modest 7.5.
>>
>>265586470
neo/v/
>>
File: 47t2114508.jpg (54KB, 630x473px) Image search: [Google]
47t2114508.jpg
54KB, 630x473px
>>265586632
>>265586642
Stop defending Destiny. It's a shitty game.
>>
>>265585624
Its not like activision is going to have bungie develop two entirely unique sequels with entirely new assests in three and six years, dog.

The entire goal with destiny was to drop a huge chunk right off the bat, get most, if not all of it back, then nickle and dime a large playerbase for the next ten years.

See also: World of Warcraft
>>
File: 1411441656772.jpg (34KB, 790x653px) Image search: [Google]
1411441656772.jpg
34KB, 790x653px
>>265577590
They're banking on making this a rehash franchise.

All the assets and coding is done. Mostly. Now all they have to do is barely anything. Watch for Destiny 2 (made up of already existing assets) or DLC that was completed at release but cut out. Probably both. I imagine they'll throw in stuff like recolors and other five minute dev jobs and sell them for 20 dollars each or something.

All the work they ever planned to ever do is already done. Now they ride the train till it turns a profit.
>>
>>265577884
>I can't into math
>>
>>265579592
>pay retailers
>>
>>265586603
Hitler's still living on the moon or somewhere beneath the earth's surface, right?
>>
>>265581313
>>265581927
shit like this is so funny

these ridiculous arguments top kek

do you neckbeards do this every single day?
>>
File: 1357442043582.jpg (83KB, 800x770px) Image search: [Google]
1357442043582.jpg
83KB, 800x770px
>>265586869
Pointing out OP's stupidity and complete lack of basic math skills /= defending Destiny's merits as a game.
>>
I like to see big budget AAA games bomb, even if I enjoy them.

Gaming needs a crash.
>>
>>265586869

Don't care what game it's about, OP is wrong and being and idiot so I am calling him out on it.
>>
File: 1401840357097.png (135KB, 507x568px) Image search: [Google]
1401840357097.png
135KB, 507x568px
>>265577590
>4.5 million
>first week
>bomb

This board has completely lost its mind, logic is void, it's just an echo-chamber of stupid where a bunch of children scream nonsense at each other
>>
File: 1405212389914.jpg (38KB, 233x186px) Image search: [Google]
1405212389914.jpg
38KB, 233x186px
>>265586869
>if you disagree with me youre a fanboy
>>
>>265586601
they said biggest launch for a new franchise.

Franchise means the sequels are already planned.

that typically doesn't happen in video games.

So, what that press release really meant was "destiny is the biggest launch of a game named destiny in gaming history."
>>
>>265578279

>4.5 million on a $500 million budget

That is literally a bomb. And the weekly sales numbers will only go down.
>>
>>265577884
>http://www.vgchartz.com/article/251897/destiny-sells-455-million-units-first-week-worldwide-ps4-nearly-sells-500k-units/
this is how 4chan works. post biased shit to get people mad to get replies.
>>
>>265577590
I am in no way a destiny shill, but you need to realize that it has been designated as a Trilogy, and a lot of funding that went into initial design will be reused in the second and third games to cut costs. As long as they can fix the first game, they'll be sitting in gold.
>>
>>265587114
>that typically doesn't happen in video games.

Sequels are always planned.
>>
>>265586960
>You are tinfoil hat!

Classic viral marketer rebuttal.
Who are you bullshitting? What's there to keep viral marketers from posting on 4chan? That's right, nothing. You'd have to be a really gullible kid if you don't expect viral marketers in any and all threads here.

And it's the same with Destiny. Next to NOBODY on /v/ plays Destiny (fact), and yet we have dozens of Destiny threads all the time. Isn't that odd?
>>
>>265587135
The 500 million dollars budget is a lie, anon.
>>
>>265587049
did you know that for square enix like 90% of their new titles are ""bombs"" because they expect hundreds of millions of sales

it's a little crazy since they seem popular enough but that's what the corporates think

so destiny could very well be a bomb in that sense
>>
>>265587224
Well then how do you explain all the Wonderful 101 threads?
>>
>>265587049

>implying it's going to sell more on the second week

AAA shitter games are completely front-loaded on sales.
>>
>>265587189
You realize that if the first game doesn't do well enough to reach a critical mass with players and build a solid fanbase, then the sequels won't sell enough to reap the benefit of all that sunk cost.
>>
>>265587224
>Next to NOBODY on /v/ plays Destiny (fact)
Nice proof you got there, faggot
>>
>>265587189

And those second and third games will probably add another $300 million apiece on marketing.
>>
>>265587245
but it's not.
>>
>>265587464
It is.
Give me the source.
>>
>>265587245

>Kotick himself said it
>"but it's a lie"
>>
>>265587287
Wondeful 101 is a Nintendo-exclusive game. Nintendo is one of the few, if not the sole publisher with honor and dignity. They do not stealth market. That's pretty much the only reason why so many people on /v/ have sympathy for Nintendo, because Nintendo doesn't pay WoW gold farmers to come to /v/ and spam us about their newest release.
>>
>>265587484
Give me the source saying it is.
>>
>>265587484
You can't source it isn't.
>>
>>265587258
>they expect hundreds of millions of sales

No game has sold multiple hudreds of millions. Only Tetris sold more that 100 million.
>>
File: huehuehue.jpg (65KB, 350x218px) Image search: [Google]
huehuehue.jpg
65KB, 350x218px
>>265587532
Oh you, silly gullible innocent soul.
>>
>>265587484

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/06/us-activision-destiny-idUSBREA4501F20140506?feedType=RSS

>CEO Bobby Kotick revealed the number, which dwarfs Hollywood spending on some of its biggest firms, during the Milken conference in Los Angeles last week. A company spokesperson said on Monday the number was accurate but also included marketing, packaging, infrastructure support, royalties and other costs.
>>
File: 1402262521524.jpg (119KB, 657x544px) Image search: [Google]
1402262521524.jpg
119KB, 657x544px
>>265587532
>Nintendo is one of the few, if not the sole publisher with honor and dignity
>>
>>265587632
>plans to
>>
File: 40.jpg (92KB, 750x227px) Image search: [Google]
40.jpg
92KB, 750x227px
I own a good PC, a WiiU and a 3DS. Bought PS4 for Destiny and future games like Bloodborne/Rime and despite having no expectations coming in I'm actually enjoying it so far.
>>
File: 1394469304925.jpg (107KB, 932x651px) Image search: [Google]
1394469304925.jpg
107KB, 932x651px
>>265587532
>responds to a claim of marketers on /v/ with one of the most shill-sounding posts in the thread
>>
>>265587587
well whatever I was exaggerating

but SE does expect tons of sales
>>
>>265587729

>4 months ago
>implying they hadn't spend any money at that point
>>
>>265587632
>The spokesperson added that investment in the next generation engine and a "robust backend infrastructure are upfront expenditures that should reduce future product development costs."
>"Over the long term, we expect the ultimate product costs to be roughly in line with other Triple-A titles."
>>
>>265586984

Retailers makes 1-2$ per new copies.

Why do you think Gamestop business model is based on used copies?
>>
>>265587356
I play Destiny.
>>
File: 1395526150098.jpg (33KB, 433x334px) Image search: [Google]
1395526150098.jpg
33KB, 433x334px
>>265577590
>destiny-sells-455-million-units-first-week-worldwide-ps4-nearly-sells-500k-units/

455 million copies???
>>
If Destiny succeeds, gaming is doomed.
>>
>>265581927

And retailers don't spend $60 per copy.
>>
>>265586890
>>265587943

And it STILL flopped!
>>
>>265588009
How so? It won't do more damage to the industry than Halo or CoD did so far.
>>
>>265587224

I play Destiny.

Jesus christ, get your head out of your ass.

You're an idiot and that Is a fact.
>>
>>265583505
Actually it isn't "generic" just because it's liked and accepted by millions of people. Asking someone to open their mind is a great thing. You obviously don't know how to do that.
>>
>>265587860

>Why do you think Gamestop business model is based on used copies?

Because they're greedy cunts and the 20-30% cut isn't enough for their jewgold piles?
>>
>>265577884
if it cost more to make than it has made it's a bomb.

that would ofcourse imply it would make no money after the initial sales, which wont happen.

it's like how SE came out and said Tomb Raider remake bombed and yet it sold perfectly fine given enough time.
>>
>>265585548
It's not only on /v/ mate, Destiny have been getting average reviews and on the official forums people are pretty damn pissed. I bought the game myself and I don't agree with most people here that it's shit, but it's not very good either.
>>
>>265587607
>>265587719
>>265587781
>asshurt stealth marketers
>jealous Sony fanboys
Point proven.
>>
>>265587943

4.55 Million

Can't have decimal points in links.
>>
>>265588074
Nonsense. They haven't even gotten to Destiny 2 or 3 or Destiny: Reloaded The Third the Fourth the Rehash.
>>
So how will Activision react if Destiny bombed? Will they milk it out with low-budget sequels, milk the existing fanbase with microtransactions, or never speak of the game again?
>>
>>265588203
Confirmed ACTUAL viral marketer.
Daily reminder others get paid for the same shit you do for free, anon.

Enjoy your miserable life.
>>
>>265588186
This nigga preaches truth
>>
File: 1410624715613.png (180KB, 599x484px) Image search: [Google]
1410624715613.png
180KB, 599x484px
>Destiny: 4.5 million in first week
>Pokemon X: 4 million in the first two days
>>
>>265587287
>>265587356
>>265588093
Do you think I'm stupid?

Prior to Destiny's release, nobody on /v/ wanted anything to do with this game, and this still holds true, but suddenly there are Destiny praise threads and you expect me to believe it's not just stealth marketers?

Remember the hundreds of Bioshock Infinite threads, saying that we were wrong and the game is good? Those didn't last, right? It's going to be the same with Destiny, just a few weeks more and Destiny "discussion" (read: advertising) will come to a screeching halt.
>>
File: 1393870259075.jpg (54KB, 300x373px) Image search: [Google]
1393870259075.jpg
54KB, 300x373px
>>265588436
>new franchise
vs
>20 year old rehash factory
>>
>>265588512
>Do you think I'm stupid?
Stopped reading there, do you really think I need to answer this
>>
Destiny is a great game (multiplayer). Failure in sales or not, doesnt change anything for me. Keep on the mindless hate I guess.
>>
>>265588570
Yes, because as it stands, it looks to people like I struck a nerve.
>>
File: halo-3-cortana-600-lgn.jpg (70KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
halo-3-cortana-600-lgn.jpg
70KB, 450x600px
>>265577590
The 500 million dollars is for the entire '10-year experience'

If they make more than a fifth of that in the first week I'd say they're pretty well off
>>
File: 1410445765540.jpg (102KB, 331x319px) Image search: [Google]
1410445765540.jpg
102KB, 331x319px
>>265577808
>>>they already confirmed that 500 million was not spent on this game
Do you seriously believe this? After all the lies about content, fun, real game starts at level 20, 10 year plan, balance, drop rates, diversity, massive amounts of unique armor and weapons, do not believe early reviews, and how it's a fucking "social" game when you can't communicate with anyone outside your small ass squad let alone even fucking trade. Yeah real social game. Why do you believe this piss poor damage control of "we didn't even spend that much on this piece of shit", oh I know, because you're a fucking shill.
>>
>>265588512
I'm enjoying Destiny, but I also enjoy Diablo 3. I love loot games like these.
I don't argue that 6/10 or 7/10 is the rating for this game, it has a ton of flaws. I enjoy it though. Sorry anon.
>>
>>265588558
>implying Destiny isn't a assembly line tier game made for the specific purpose of being sold.
>>
>>265588640
Well I do think you're stupid.

Does that make you happy?
>>
>>265588601
>Destiny is a great game

What a fucking lie. There's nothing remotely great about it. Nothing innovative, or engaging. It's boring as fuck.
>>
File: 1260112956355.jpg (22KB, 542x428px) Image search: [Google]
1260112956355.jpg
22KB, 542x428px
>>265588512
>Do you think I'm stupid?

No just 14 and deranged
>>
>>265588731
>implying pokemon isn't the same thing with a 20-year head start

Kind of embarassing for Pokemon that Destiny pulled the same numbers if you ask me.
>>
>>265588749
What makes me happy is that /v/ sees Destiny for the turd that it is, and that viral marketing is counterproductive here.
>>
>>265588701

That's fanboy damage control bullshit, when the CEO himself says it's the budget for the single title, you're just being a retard saying otherwise.
>>
Why does /v/ have such a hate boner for this game? You people are trying to make it look like the next Tortanic when it is clearly not.
>>
>>265588512
You're a faggot, but this
>Those didn't last, right? It's going to be the same with Destiny, just a few weeks more and Destiny "discussion" (read: advertising) will come to a screeching halt.
Is correct, no one on /v/ will be talking about this in a month, hell, even the general on /vg/ will probably die as well.
>>
>>265588898

He never did though.
>>
>>265588768
>14 and deranged

But I'm not the one defending this mediocre children shooter or the viral marketing fest that encompasses it, anon. That's you.
>>
>>265588295
>Plok
I know how I'm spending my evening now.
>>
>4.5 million copies

when were you when gaming is die?
>>
>>265584754
>post by someone that knows his shit
>no replies
how unexpected!
>>
File: 1357613325881.png (435KB, 637x599px) Image search: [Google]
1357613325881.png
435KB, 637x599px
>>265588969
Because on /v/ everything is either a 0/10 or 10/10

I think Destiny is a ~7/10. Right now it's a solid framework with many flaws. Hopefully Bungie can fix all the holes and put a lot of content in this framework. It certainly plays well and looks nice, there is just a bit too little to do.
>>
I will day 1 purchase it for PC. I've always wondered why people play fps on consoles
>>
>>265589108
In the womb, when the NES was released, introducing gaming to the home-bound casual.
>>
>>265577590
Destiny is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for my interest in gaming. I don't care what the sales numbers are. It doesn't interest me. It's just halo with another bunch of stuff. Boring.
>>
>>265589134
>Right now it's a solid framework with many flaws.

and zero innovation
to anyone who's ever played a shooter, 5 minutes of Destiny will give them the feeling that they've played the game for thousands of hours already
it has nothing unique going for it
it has nothing that makes it feel "new" at all
>>
>>265589218
After playing it for a while you get used to it, but yes, obviously fps is better on PC.
>>
why people care about destiny when memelands did everything already and better (minus the "humor")?
>>
>>265589218
>I've always wondered why people play fps on consoles
for the same reason you play fps on PC: being a full blown plebeian
>>
File: orange.jpg (143KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
orange.jpg
143KB, 1920x1080px
>>265589291
I guess it's good for me that I barely play any shooters, so it's not as stale for me.
I don't usually like shooters even.
>>
>>265588895
lol, what a sad life you must lead.
>>
>>265589392
I would play Borderlands over Destiny if only I could get past their AWFUL as fuck cel-shaded art direction. I hate it so much, it's the sole reason I won't play any Memelands game.
>>
File: bait.png (122KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
122KB, 625x626px
>>265589427
Have fun with the aimassist bud
>>
>$500 million for 10 years and several games

Am I the only one who thinks $500 million for this isn't enough?

I mean, I could understand it now since Destiny is fucking tiny with almost no content. But $500 million for 10 years and several games still doesn't seem like much, especially when it's a game that's suppose to be a massive AAA experience.
>>
File: 1356287335970.jpg (80KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1356287335970.jpg
80KB, 344x344px
>>265589392
>why people care about destiny

They don't, it's just advertisers.

>>265589496
>make him feel like his life is incomplete and he's hurting himself by avoiding [NEW AND EXCITING PRODUCT]

More 1337 viral marketur skills, I see.
>>
>>265577590
Even less than DmC?
>>
>>265589552

It's sad. But Borderlands is better than Destiny.
>>
This would never happen to a japanese AAA release

embarassing
>>
>>265589447
>I barely play any shooters

Congratulations, you're in the only demographic that would call Destiny a good game.

You're wrong regardless, though.
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.