[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here know of any FIRST PERSON video games that just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 19

File: CrematoriumLeBrookhaven.jpg (1MB, 1506x1147px) Image search: [Google]
CrematoriumLeBrookhaven.jpg
1MB, 1506x1147px
Does anyone here know of any FIRST PERSON video games that just let you walk around a scary abandoned area with no actual enemies to fight or anything like that?

I'm in the mood to walk around in a dark, abandoned, rusty building/mine/hospital or something, but without actually being put in danger. I just want to let myself be immersed in the environment. It would also be good if the area that you walk around in was very very detailed, something where I can just look at the stuff lying around on tables and feel as though the place did use to have life in it.

Free games found from stuff like Gamejolt are perfectly acceptable.
>>
you can do that most of the time in STALKER when exploring old buildings
you still might find some enemies along the way, although it's not guaranteed
>>
File: DearEsther4.jpg (547KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DearEsther4.jpg
547KB, 1920x1080px
>>256776572
Dear Esther. Pirate the new version or download the mod. It is a walking simulator, not a game. Exactly what you are looking for. I cannot believe I just recommended that shit, but it's what you are looking for.
>>
>>256776572
Gone Home
>>
File: url.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
url.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>256777262
>>
>>256777262
>>256777318

Neither of those games are scary, nor do they let you walk around in areas like the ones I mentioned. I guess the home in gone home is abandoned but not the way I was describing. I'm basically looking for a first person silent hill 3 without the monsters.

I used a screenshot from silent hill 3 to really show what I meant. Lots of detail, rusted, abandoned.
>>
File: 1362887080807.jpg (58KB, 324x321px) Image search: [Google]
1362887080807.jpg
58KB, 324x321px
You could say the rust is a must.
>>
>>256777515
What you want doesn't exist. So why not stop being an entitled little cunt when people try to help you? In horror games you have objectives and danger. If there is no objective it stops being a game. Dear Esther is the closest thing to what you want. That or SCP Containment Unit, but that is a game. Go fucking download a scary looking Gmod map and walk around. That or find a board about walking simulators, this is a board for games.
>>
>>256777515
Amnesia: a Machine for Pigs?

You're asking for the impossible here.
>>
File: 1405054128915.png (136KB, 257x245px) Image search: [Google]
1405054128915.png
136KB, 257x245px
>>256777593
I would really prefer if you'd be quiet
>>
>>256777515
Dear Esther is spooky enough. And it's not a game, perfect for you!
>>
STALKER, after you've cleared the underground labs out.
>>
File: 1365569830994.jpg (57KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
1365569830994.jpg
57KB, 584x622px
>>256777903

>Ask for scary, dark, abandoned, rusty areas.
>Get replies for brightly coloured blue neon mines, brightly colourful houses, and no scary factors at all.
>Respond saying that these suggestions were not what I asked for, while not insulting anyone.

= entitled little cunt.
>>
>>256778126
You found it spooky? Gotta say, I didn't see it myself. All I saw was about an hour of walking around while some english guy talks to himself. Pretty game at least, but hardly scary.
>>
>>256778369
You haven't "played" Dear Esther then. It is a atmospheric game that elicits feelings of panic, mystery and isolation. Those are core elements of horror games. Just because someone posted pictures of the caves, the best looking part of the game doesn't mean the game doesn't have what you are looking for. Just go fucking try it, its free as a mod or on TPB. Its about 2 hours long, even less. What you want doesn't exist. /v/ is not your personal library. Do what the guy said, get a spooky Gmod map and walk around until you realize how stupid what you are doing really is.
>>
>>256778591

Jesus christ, I have played it. I played it when it first came out. If you found it scary, fine, no problem. But I didn't find it scary at all.

How about you tell me about these g mod maps if you know of them?
>>
File: 1406908935647.png (112KB, 283x230px) Image search: [Google]
1406908935647.png
112KB, 283x230px
>>256778591
>elicits feelings of panic, mystery and isolation
You should probably leave here.
>>
>>256778448
>Spooky enough
>enough
>>
>>256778849
Sure thing OP, have fun never finding your worthless piece of shit "game". Seriously, either make it yourself or stop being such a prick.
>>
>>256779239
That wasn't even me...
>>
>>256779239
You are freaking out pretty badly, I'm not OP and Dear Esther is shit.
>>
>>256778830
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=190507753

What is google? We just don't know. There are a few, try and look some shit up. There are massive maps you can find that are not only scary but interesting to walk around in.
>>
>>256779731
No one here said it was good. They said it was what OP wanted. A game where you walk around in an highly detailed environment alone. It can be unsettling but isn't strictly traditional horror.
>>
>Theresia
For the DS. It's an adventure game, there are no monsters but you can still be harmed by traps if you aren't careful while you solve the puzzles. It's rather moody, but it's also a bit heavy on text, and it's not exactly stunning graphically.

>Anna
PC game. I only saw the first part and it didn't have any monsters in it. It should be closer to what you were looking for, although it has some sunny parts and it's set in a cottage in the alps.
>>
>>256776572
sounds like you would buy gone home, too.
Go away, cancer.
>>
>>256779918
Fair point, it is highly detailed, and pretty as I said, and you are alone, (even if it doesn't feel like it from the constant narration), but I made it pretty clear I think that I wanted something scary, dark, and rusty. Also, Dear Esther may have isolation, but isolation and something being abandoned are very different things.

A abandoned building that has not have people for 100 years is not the same as a naturally formed mine or large open areas around tall hills filled with grass. Dear esther isn't even dark for goodness sakes.

I'm not here to say it's a bad game, I just said that it was not what I was looking for.
>>
>>256780176
No thanks, game doesn't look fun at all to me.

>>256780090
I played Anna once, expecting it to be pretty close to what I wanted. About 2 hours later, I realised the game was not scary in the slightest, and was incredibly pretentious in what it tried to shove down the players throat. It was also semi confusing, so sadly, it didn't really do it for me.

Probably the closest answer I've had so far next to the garrys mod maps though, but I need to do more research on them first.
>>
File: 1353428493724.png (250KB, 493x500px) Image search: [Google]
1353428493724.png
250KB, 493x500px
>>256776572
The scariness from a lot of games like that is the uncertainty of whether or not youll come across an enemy. Straight up telling you there are no enemies or other things to worry about is going to cause great detriment to the atmosphere of the game. Its like a horror movie being spoiled by someone telling you that nobody even dies; you lose all the tension and uncertainty.
>>
File: 1367845278187.jpg (54KB, 393x446px) Image search: [Google]
1367845278187.jpg
54KB, 393x446px
>>256776572

Actually anon, I'd recommend looking through the list of games the TBF used in their Shitstorms of Scariness.

There were quite a few 'walk around, get spooked by occasional event'-type games with few, if any, enemies.

Be aware that many were on the Wii and/or in foreign languages.
>>
>>256780596

Well, to be honest, it's not so much the factor of getting scared I'm looking for here. After all, as you said, it's pretty much impossible to be scared when you know there is no threat.

This will sound strange, but I just like walking around well detailed environments in first person videogames. It's just sort of fun for me to walk around, and just absorb the environment. Think about what happened in that area, and what it used to be like, while witnessing the utter desolation that is has now become. I've always personally wanted to go for a walk into an abandoned building LIKE those found in a game like silent hill 3, but there are none around my living area, and any that would be around would most certainly be off limits to the general public, or probably inhabited by crazy people who want to kill me.
>>
>>256781058
Also, those areas would probably be completely empty in real life. I don't get much enjoyment walking through completely empty rooms with bare walls.
>>
>>256776572
crypt-worlds find it on game jolt
>>
I know a fair amount of games/mods like what your'e looking for but since you're being a dick about Dear Eshter I'm not going to bother. :^)
>>
>>256781654
Who is being a dick about dear esther? I have not said a single bad thing about it (unless you count me saying that I personally didn't find it scary as some sort of attack on the quality of the game). I'm pretty sure you're mistaking me for one of the other 3 or 4 people on this thread who actually said the game was shit.
>>
>>256782236
play gmod maps
>>
What's this? You want to play something that doesn't have competition nor killing in it? You are the cancer killing vidja
>>
>>256782505
What can I say? I'm literally worse than Hitler.
>>
Scratches. Point and Click first person game. Explore a manor that you're spending time at to solve the mystery of the old inhabitants. No enemies, over all eerie environment, some spooks.
>>
>>256782884
Gotta admit, you've totally got me there. I own it. It's first person, it's got some detailed environments and no enemies, hell, it even has rust in some parts...

But it's just not what I'm looking for when I say "first person". I meant the sort where you can walk around and just explore your environment. Sorry, you followed pretty much exactly what I said and it still didn't work for me, but I'm just looking for the sort of stuff I can freely move around in. Really appreciate the answer though.
>>
Scratches.
>>
>>256777515
>i want a game that's not a game
>why are you recommending all this shit these are games I need a game that's not a game
>>
Proteus? Though it's not scary, more calming and interesting with vibrant colors and design. The game features no enemies, just you and the world around you and it's in 1st person
>>
Yes. Penumbra: Requiem has just what you need.

I hate that game because I played it just after finishing Black Plague and was not aware there were no monsters in it until I finished the game.
>>
>>256785141
I thought all the Penumbra games had enemies?
>>
>>256785141
Funny that you mention that, because I own all the penumbra games, but I only played the other 2 for short amounts of time, and, while they were good, I was annoyed by certain things within those games. I'll try out requiem. I suppose I can afford to miss the story for Black plauge.

This would be the best answer so far. Thanks man.
>>
>>256785509
All but Requiem. Requiem is 100% exploration and puzzles.

>>256785541
The story isn't particularly important, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing them.
>>
>>256785739
Man, I like them, but certain things about them annoy the shit out of me. Like, for the first game, in the mines, when I realised that you could kill the dogs, that just put such a huge damper on the game for me. I mean, was that intentional? I guess it must have been, but how are the enemies scary when you can just run up and hit them a few times to kill them? I never really got far to be honest. I only got up to the part where you go into a room, and then a dog breaks the door down and starts walking around. No matter what I put in front of the door, the dog just kept breaking it down.

The second game I really liked the look of, until I learned the enemies in that could be killed as well, and then the same thing happened there.

I suppose it's not a big deal, and I do still intend to beat Black Plague sometime just because I love the environments, but those issues just get stuck in my mind.
>>
>>256786346
I gotta admit though, when I read the diary about the spider eater and about how he cut off his own horribly rotten tongue, I was pretty freaked out. Then I actually saw the tongue in the other room, just sitting on a shelf. Man, that was just really cool and well done.
>>
>>256786346
>when I realised that you could kill the dogs
I knew you could kill the dogs at the start, but I was so bad at doing it that it was never really an option unless I chugged healing items, so the tension never really went away for me.

>No matter what I put in front of the door, the dog just kept breaking it down.
Well, that was the point. You can't stop the dog, and you gotta sneak around it.

>The second game I really liked the look of, until I learned the enemies in that could be killed as well
Huh? You can't kill the tuurngait. There aren't even any weapons.
>>
>>256787049
You just need to throw the boxes at them a few times.

Kinda ruins the fun for me when the games scary enemy can be killed just by throwing a box at it a couple of times.
>>
File: dsc_0803.jpg (3MB, 4232x2796px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_0803.jpg
3MB, 4232x2796px
>>256787049
>get somewhere near the end of the game
>see a turnfaggot coming
>get into a room quickly
>close the door behind me
>get on top of some boxes on the side of the door
>grab a small box
>the faggot opens the door
>"I SEE YOU"
>put the box in front of him
>he collides with it, closes the door then reopens the door
>put the box in his face again
>"I SEE YOU"
>do this for 5 minutes until he finally gets into the room and I jump over the door and sprint like hell
Fun times.
>>
File: 01.jpg (93KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
93KB, 1152x864px
>>
you could visit neogaf or reddit or something
>>
File: 02.jpg (90KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
90KB, 1152x864px
>>
File: 03.jpg (86KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
03.jpg
86KB, 1152x864px
>>
File: 04.jpg (83KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
04.jpg
83KB, 1152x864px
>>
File: 05.jpg (18KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
05.jpg
18KB, 1152x864px
>>
>>256788352
RIP Phil
>>
>>256787972
>>256788062
>>256788180
>>256788278
>>256788352
which zelda is this?
ocrania time or the mask?
>>
>>256788685
Zelda: The baseball cap.
>>
rp_apocalypse on gmod is great for this kind of thing. I understand exactly what you want OP, I get these kind of urges too sometimes. This map has plenty of caves and abandonded buildings, even a swamp with old trailers in it. It has a looming fog to give it sort of a Silent Hill vibe too.
>>
>>256789736
Just downloaded it and gave it a try.

Not quite as detailed or scary as I would have liked it to be, but still a pretty damn good map. Thanks man. We keep getting closer and closer to what I really want.
>>
Just play Myst you homo
>>
>>256791647
Nah man, I wanna be able to walk around and explore shit, not just point and click on it.
>>
>>256790754
Try gm_apartment then. No enemies, just some light puzzle solving. Super atmospheric. Couple of scares.
>>
>>256787972
>that model pose
>>
>>256791961
Just looked it up. The screenshots show it as completely empty. Like, the rooms have nothing in them except maybe a single tv and rug, or a mircrowave. I appreciate the suggestions, but empty rooms without details don't really interest me. When I said I wanted lots of detail, I mean like, well, tons of paper strewn around, old shelf's with individually named books on them, personal objects on the desks that had to be left behind, just stuff like that. Not just the same bathroom copy pasted 4 times in every single garrys mod map. At least if they bathrooms were different and had like, I don't know, medicine strewn over the floor in one of them, blood and a razor blade in another, and a bunch of broken glass and a bucket of ice cream in the first, that would be awesome.

A fair few first person games accomplish this, but I don't really know of many that do it in a scary way.
>>
Try Penumbra: Requiem, OP.

>>256778591
Jesus, why don't you fuck off if you can't contribute to the thread?
>>
>>256786346
>>256787049
Play all the Penumbras, OP. Just dont kill the dogs. Eventually you'll get to the point where there are so many of them it's not worth fighting, just running. Don't abuse the environment. The game gets scarier even if there are no BP/Amnesia styled humanoid enemies in the first. In fact I liked Overture more than BP, really. But BP is fucking awesome too, and you can't kill the enemies in there (well you can but its very very hard and no one ever does it). And then Requiem has no enemies at all.
>>
>>256783323
This. I can't recommend more, it sounds like the game you're looking for. It's a point-and-click game but even though I dislike them I played through Scratches and can say it was one of the scariest games I've played.

And it has 5/5 soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWznECCu6dw
>>
>>256787451
>a few times
Pretty sure it takes over like 40 hits with a box to kill them. Are you really not giving it a chance because in some very few positions you can get the monsters stuck enough that you can throw a box at him for like 10 minutes straight and kill him that way? Because again, that only works in a few places and its better to just run.
>>
>>256794095
I mentioned before that I still have full intentions of playing through it. I found the game very interesting, that part just kind of annoyed me.
>>
File: 1356984055076.jpg (291KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1356984055076.jpg
291KB, 2560x1440px
So you're looking for a scary walking simulator? Or a horror game without enemies? Tough combination. The scary factor from games comes from the spooky atmosphere, but is often lost when you know or figure out there's no enemies. That's why I would like to see devs implementing random events, roaming and spawning enemies, unique enemies, spread false rumours etc. to make the player expect/not to expect horror and make every playthrough a little different for everyone

If you haven't tried, play Thieves, System Shock 2 and Bioshocks (1 and 2). In Thief you can freely roam around big buildings and find secrets. Some levels have only human guards, some zombies and ghosts (fuck the one manor with the library ghost). The Shalebridge Cradle in Thief 3 is also one of the scariest levels I've ever played, don't look it up, just play it blind, you won't regret it.
Bioshocks are more linear but are also filled with small little details about the world and the people. They also have a great atmosphere at times

And STALKERs of course
>>
Op wants an urban exploration game.
>>
File: scratches.jpg (42KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
scratches.jpg
42KB, 800x600px
>>256793963
Ah, Scratches was great. I was a little disappointed when I loaded it up the first time for it to be a point and click since I was expecting a FP adventure game like Penumbra, but it eventually won me over.

Also, does Scratches not have the most effective jump scare in all of vidya, or is it just me?

You know the one I'm talking about.
>>
File: Jew-on the Fudge.jpg (20KB, 256x366px) Image search: [Google]
Jew-on the Fudge.jpg
20KB, 256x366px
Here OP, it's kinda shitty, but it's exactly what you're looking for.
>>
>>256796337
The dream one? Or the cellar in the furnance? They both made me almost shat my pants. Too bad the ending was not that great
>>
File: why hello there.jpg (24KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
why hello there.jpg
24KB, 512x384px
>>256796674
The former. The furnace one didn't scare me so much because I knew it was coming. The dream caught me off guard and literally made me pee my pants a little. You were in a loading screen! That's not fair!
>>
>>256793963
Also worth noting is the fucking terrifying basement music. It's perfectly named because I just knew something was going to happen there, and I was dreading having to go into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_8UyMzms10
>>
>>256797281
Yeah, true. I didn't see the furnace coming and I was excepting just another still screen to puzzle out and suddendly the video started playing

>>256797614
Yes
>tfw eneting the basement for the first time
>>
Penumbra Requiem has no enemies, but it is considered the worst of the three games. But you might like it OP
>>
get out of the basement, grab a camera and go urbexing.
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.