[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

What say you /v/? can the Arena Shooter truly come back? ht

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 520
Thread images: 81

What say you /v/? can the Arena Shooter truly come back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B28oQvaL7Mg
>>
shit nigguh that's pretty neat
>>
>>255935652
>roots
>UT2k4

That's far from the roots, anon.
>>
>>255935652
That got me hype
>>
I just clicked on the link hoping it would be something mediocre. After seeing the trailer, that I have hope. We need more of these games. Why aren't we talking about this for fucks sake.
>>
>>255935652
Wait so its not F2P?
>>
>>255938383
It's not you casual piece of shit.
>>
>>255935652
man i thought it was halo or something
OP's image threw me off. game still looks neat though
>>
>>255938383
nope, but until we know about dlc/season pass I cant get hype.
>>
Just read a thread on the forum saying that the name would not really be good for advertisements and what not. And I think I agree with him, it's the same as Nexuiz or whatever the fuck it was called. Name can mean a lot.

inb4
>What's in a name?
>>
>>255935652
>not Free to Play
game just shot itself in the foot. you can have a non-P2W game as F2P.
>>
>>255935652
>No classes
>No cover system
>No ADS
>No Progression
Are they seriously using that as an excuse to put out a shallow fps with barely any depth?
>>
>>255938712
>dlc/season passes

You don't know that there were, hold up: Free expansions back in the glory FPS days?
>>
I want to believe
They said all the words I wanted to hear
I really, really, really want to believe
I want this to be good very badly
>>
>>255939260
I just love you ADD faggots that think you have to achieve something to cover how bad you guys are.
>>
File: 1337931492935.png (462KB, 947x367px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1337931492935.png
462KB, 947x367px
>>255939260
>my epeen is based on what skins, perks and loadouts I bought/spent40+hours grinding for
>>
File: 12.png (387KB, 970x780px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
12.png
387KB, 970x780px
>>255935652
>Arena shooter

its called splatoon

>inb4 pedo bait comments
>>
>>255935652
This is tribes without jetpacks.

And tribes wasn't even that good with jetpacks.

Arena shooting died with Quake 3 and no game has been able to continue it.
>>
>arena shooter
>back to it's roots
>looks like a rip off of Gaylo 3
>vehicles
Nope.
>>
probably
if youre asking whether or not this game will have anything to do with it then no, no it wont

looks like "what halo shouldve been: the game"
>>
>>255935652
This on PC and Halo on the Xbox, Arena shooter is back!
>>
Seems fun, will def pick it up for 20$-30$ depending on how many maps it's got or how good it is

too bad it'll either go unnoticed or reddit will pick it up and cry until the devs add killstreaks, custom classes and ADS and then they'll abandon and move on to ruining the next game
>>
>>255940251
>reddit will pick it up and cry until the devs add killstreaks, custom classes and ADS and then they'll abandon and move on to ruining the next game

When the fuck has that ever happened
>>
>>255935652
"No Free To Play "
That part got me a little hyped.
These devs seem to know what I want.
>>
>>255935652
I think it's a shame that it shares an aesthetic with Tribes. Like it or not, that's going to turn people who feel burned by T:A away.

I'm definitely interested to see more, but that trailer alone isn't selling me the game.

Also, the name is stupid.
>>
>>255939862
>splatoon
>will be good
>the entire game is bland and boring
>most people who got to play the game said it was bland and boring
>the entire reason /v/ is interested in it is because shit tier lolis and it's on a dying console
>>
>>255939862
>Ripping off an XBLA game

Top kek
>>
>>255939862
Pedo bait comment
>>
>>255935652
Oh god, that FREE TO PLAY

Then they drop the NOOOOO

I love it GOTYAY
>>
>>255939890
>Tribes
>not good

I will fight you. Unless you're talking about Ascend because yes that's turned into a total shitheap.
>>
>SKILL BASED ARENA FPS NO BULLSHIT
>But here's a gun that kills like seven fucking people at once.

Sure.
>>
>>255940818
>He doesn't know the pleasures of the Redeemer
>>
i am hype. even though i know i'll just end up getting hurt again
>>
>>255939890
Tribes was good you faggot
>>
>halo devs state their focusing on arena style gameplay for halo 5
>this game comes out
>doom 4 on the way
>cliffyb is talking about his new arena shit
>UT4 on the way

Everything is becoming good
>>
>>255940818
Yes
Guns that have a real long spawn time at a very open part of the map and require a long charge time as well as having a long firing time
but oh god when you get it off you make shit go boom

Have you never played UT2K4?
>>
>>255935652
No. Many games have tried to bring arena FPS back. They all failed because casuals don't want it, and the hardcore fans are to autistic to try out new games or accept slight changes to the ones they already play. This game will be dead a few months after release.
>>
Shitting on other games is always a good way to market yourself. I'm sure that'll take them far and that this won't get its shit stomped in when Master Chief Collection gets announced for PC.
>>
File: 1406574550787.webm (3MB, 502x282px)
1406574550787.webm
3MB, 502x282px
>>
>>255935652
It looks cool, and it's glad that the developers have a specific platform in mind instead of parity bullshit, and they seem aware of the FPS genre.

That said, the name sounds fucking stupid.

>>255939260
Current shooters aren't that good either, because no matter how bad you are at the game, as long as you level up and getting better weapons and perks, you'll always have a clear advantage over someone that's at a lower level, instead of putting all players on an even field and having them search for weapons and ammo throughout the maps.
>>
>dub step
>no name dev

literally who is excited for this?
>>
>>255941178
if the master chief collection was being considered for pc it would have been leaked as so 2 months ago.

The pc listing was an error, and the mouse is a way to sell mouses.
>>
halo pc when
>>
>>255940345
Ace of spades.
rip
>>
File: smug robbie.jpg (41KB, 404x403px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
smug robbie.jpg
41KB, 404x403px
>free 2 play
>NO
>>
>Suddenly arena shooters are coming back in droves where they have been dead for years
>Suddenly CRPGs are coming back in droves as well
>point and click are also coming back
>So are RTS
Why now? Why not in the last 5 years? I am happy but why did it all have to happen all in the exact same time? Why couldn't it have spaced it out so videogames wouldn't have sucked the last gen?
>>
>>255940818
You forgot fucking vehicles.
You can't have a skill based "arena shooter" with tanks driving around.
>>
Yes, but not with this neo-arena Fps.
>>
>>255941309
>th-the PC listing was an error!
>th-the mouse is just a mouse!
>th-the giantbomb guy was full of shit!
All
These
Excuses
>>
>>255941178
If they were to bring it to PC, I think they'd be up front with it instead of dancing around the issue.
>>
File: PC exclusives.png (230KB, 1138x5641px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
PC exclusives.png
230KB, 1138x5641px
>Another game to add to the list
Come on guys, it's not fair, I can hardly keep up.
>>
>>255939260
>M-Muh cover based shooting!!
>Muh CoD classes!! TF2 does it too, so it has to be gud!!
>Mu-huhhh CoD ADS!!!!
>Why can't I level up?!?!
>>
>>255941421
Yes, yes you can. And making a no vehicles match is almost guaranteed to be possible. Stop being autistic.
>>
>>255941392
Because the Cawadoody and wagglan cash cows are dying and they've come crawling back to the people who actually like and buy video games.
>>
>>255941392
Ironically Kickstarter showed the big companies that CoD is not all where it's at, and they started funding the good shit again

Of course, the new generation don't want the new shit, and they're going to bankrupt selling it to us, who mostly have wives and kids and no longer play or buy many games, except for a small minority like /v/ and such

But such is the life of sadfrog
>>
File: 1284236390550.jpg (72KB, 500x500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1284236390550.jpg
72KB, 500x500px
>>255941616
>Star Citizen


It's vaporware dude
>>
>>255941540
They're not being up front with it because they want to sell Xbox Ones. After they get the hardware boost, then they'll act like they're fucking gods for the act of bringing a late port to a platform they planned to release it for all along and the game will sell like hotcakes.
>>
>>255941616

>Total warhammer

Was it announced?
>>
It'll go F2P in a month
>>
>>255941521
the point is that the game was leaked before release.

If it was being considered for pc we would already know, and 343 personally have come out in saying they're not developing for pc.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/20/halo-studio-343-industries-is-listening-to-pc-fans-but-wont-be-releasing-games-for-them-any-time-soon/
>>
>bragging about no F2P

day one purchase. This guys know what's up
>>
>>255941540
They need to sell more xbones though. Maybe they are waiting for people to get more consoles before announcing it, or they are going with the time exclusive tactic (most likely if the game does come on PC). Still, Halo is a shitty FPS and has very little in common with proper Arena shooters, this game (can't remember the shitty name right now) looks way faster and more skilled based, with some distinctive elements that set it apart from the old Arena Shooters.
I see potential.
>>
>>255941178
Halo is fucking garbage, who cares.
>>
Of course the Devs are already marketing it here
>>
>>255942040
Yep >>255941779
>>
Report market threads this is some bullshit.
>>
>pay for exclusive skins
yeah, nah. if I'm going to frag like it's 1999 you better make sure there's interesting characters, not some average space suit with 5 dollar camo
>>
>>255939862
splatoon only gets + points because of 3rd person imo
>>
OUR GAME IS FREE

OOPS I MEAN THE GAME IS FREE HAHA
BUT IT LOOKS REALLY GOOD "OP" I WILL CHECK IT OUT!!!
>>
>>255942304
It's not free. They made that very clear.
>>
>>255942457

We know you guys did, you put it in the trailer.
>>
>>255941616
good god that list looks like shit. do you when know how to design a proper document? or are you just that fucking retarded that you think that eyesore actually even remotely looks decent? you fucking pathetic excuse for a human being i hope you try to turn shit like that in at uni so the professors can shit on you and laugh behind your back.

oh wait, you'll never get accepted because your applications must look like total horseshit as well.

love, /g/
>>
>>255942304
Free to play means
Free to play*
*certain features available for a fee
>>
>>255942532
Epic
>>
>>255935652
http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Halo-5-Multiplayer-Won-t-Like-Call-Duty-64660.html
>>
Looks way to fucking slow.
>>
>Toxikk
>Reakktor
Holy fuck this shit drives me up the wall but it sure does look interesting
>>
>>255943494
They're like Xbox LIVE gamertags

Xx_2_Toxikk_xX
>>
>>255935652
garbage
>>
>>255935652
looks like dog shit
>>
might be cool

i just hope they don't get lost in dev hell and change their goal of the game after early access
>>
Looks neat.
But when the fuck does it come out?
>>
>UT2k4 with a bit of Halo's design aesthetics and scenery styling

Looks promising, especially with the apparent free SDK.
>>
I would never play this crap. And nobody else will
>>
>people saying it's UT2k4
This is way slower than UT, this is basically Halo: No Ironsight Edition
>>
>>255945457
Halo had iron sights?
>>
>>255942632
at least im not pretending that i have a job while shitposting on 4chan
>>
>>255945457
>Halo
>Ironsights
What?
>>
>>255945659
>>255945816
>Call of Halo: No Ironsight Edition
Fuck me and fuck typing.
>>
>>255935652
>New UT
>This arrives

One of them is bound to be good.
>>
>>255945923
Oh, there y'go.

Yes, I agree entirely.
>>
>>255940345
How new are you?

go back to reddit. That exact shit has happened with multiple promising games

Tribes, ace of spades are the ones that make me most salt
>>
>>255935652
It's a sad day to be a poorfag.
>>
File: 1365597999143.jpg (11KB, 256x256px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1365597999143.jpg
11KB, 256x256px
>>255945457
>Halo
>ironsights
>>
>>255946154
>you
>in charge of reading ahead
>>
>>255946128
>Tribes

Nothing he listed is in tribes. Who cares about some autismcraft rip off
>>
File: Destiny_31.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Destiny_31.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>255945816
>>
looks neat

but the shilling is too strong ITT
>>
>>255946218
Sorry I'm not a fortuneteller like you.
>>
>>255946292
how much did activision ruin this game seriously?

It's like halo without any fun
>>
>>255946292
What halo is that?
>>
>>255935652
Let's skip the BS and know this will unfortunately bomb.

What can Arena shooters do to become successful again?
Is it more about BS-features like integrated twitch than actually being a good arena shooter?
>>
>>255935652
This is what I was looking for a long time. All the children keep playing their realistic military stuff and the parents play the better game.
>>
File: 1396724699649.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1396724699649.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>255946235
>Nothing he listed is in tribes.

not literally but reddit did ruin it

you're pretty goddamn new if you weren't here for when AoS and T:A were /v/'s FoTM games and became hugely popular and eventually ruined due to reddit

Get out
>>
>>255946421
>It's like halo without any fun

HOLY SHIT THIS

it felt so sterile, I think they will lose sales from that beta
>>
>>255946526
>Reddit ruined it! No blame is on /v/ for accepting this little internet website fight!
>>
>>255946526
Tribes died because Hirez is a bunch of jews. Don't know about AoS though.
>>
File: 1405005291540.png (323KB, 480x646px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405005291540.png
323KB, 480x646px
Not for nothing, But doesnt this look like nexiuz. Art direction is the same, engine looks to be the same, premise seems to be the same, bloom seems to be the same.

Whats to stop it from becoming the next nexiuz.
>>
Looks nice. If the price is right and the game feels like ut then ill buy it.
>>
File: 1403565134103.gif (125KB, 452x360px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403565134103.gif
125KB, 452x360px
>>255946628
AoS died because Jagex is a bunch of jews.

Lesson learned?
>>
>>255946439
Halo 4 Bungie edition
>>
>>255946746
Never played AoS, never cared about AoS
>>
>>255946746
Yet AoS died before Jagex was even involved
>>
>>255935652

It's UTlite I'll just wait for UT4
>>
>>255939468
What in the hell does ADD have to do with any of that? If anything, someone with ADD could do without all that shit. I have ADHD and can play arena shooters without complaining. Blame casuals instead.
>>
>>255935652
>dodge and double jumps
What does this mean?
>>
>>255946752
>no custom games, no custom gametypes, no interesting weapon variance, no fair multiplayer, no offline campaigns, no theatre, no splitscreen 4 player local co-op and matchmaking online, no offline custom games, only 6v6 multiplayer, no interesting story or setting, no real interesting memorable character design, no fileshare capabilities, an excessive borderlands and call of duty-esque feeling with bare minimum halo reach style gameplay
>>
>>255946634
>Whats to stop it from becoming the next nexiuz.
Nothing. People will play for at most a week before, yet again, yelling "NOT MUH QUAKE/UNREAL" and abandon it. It happens every single time and then they go back to moping about how arena shooters are dead.
>>
>>255946998
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEBzS3sT_0s
this is the game it's based off of
>>
>>255935652
Eh don't give a fuck bout the naysayers, I'll say this looks promising. I don't care if it's slower than UT or Q3, it's not fucking Call of Duty, that's enough for me.

For fuck's sake, you can tell there's something totally fucky that we can be hyped because of something being creative, as in it's taking all its ideas from a game that's 10 years old. Just shows you how goddamn badly things have gotten screwed up the past several years. Thanks yearly releases, you're the fucking best.
>>
>>255947189
sounds like how games set out to replace CS
then CSGO came out, expected "NOT MUH CS1.6" then it actually became insanely popular

What did CSGO do that an arena shooter has to do to actually become popular?
>>
File: 1389218169378.jpg (47KB, 553x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1389218169378.jpg
47KB, 553x640px
>>255942632
>getting a mad over a shit list on the internet that wasn't meant to look professional
>>
>>255946910
If you actually have ADHD, it's probably gotten in your way enough times that you've learned to cope with it.
I think by ADD he meant people who need all sorts of shallow nonsense to enjoy a game because they lack the focus to appreciate the gameplay.
>>
>>255947432
nothing. nexiuz was just over bloomed, and didnt have great controls. Good idea (great soundtrack), bad implimtation
>>
>>255946421
>>255946556

I enjoyed the exploration and music at the beginning, then it got stale pretty quick.

Also, their definition of a bossfight is a bulletsponge that barely moves and has no AI beyond autoaim.
>>
>>255945753
>>255941616
I have to agree, though. The List is really shit.
>Legend of
>grimrock 2

I mean, come on...
>>
>>255947564
What? Did you quote the wrong person?
>>
>>255941178

Serious question, hy would anyone want to play Halo on the PC?
>>
>>255947743
I have one word for you.

FALCONRY.
>>
>>255946998
You have two jumps like Mario for more mobility.
>>
>>255947743
1080
120fps
Mouse + Keyboard
Mods
Maps

Need I go on?
>>
>>255947743
cause Halo is fun. I'd definitely get it.
>>
>>255947638
No, you asked what the arena shooter has to do to become popular. I answered.
Nexiuz had the makings to be popular. great hype, known IP, etc. It just died upon launch cause of overbloom and clunky movement/controls
>>
>>255947947
>120FPS

Top kek. You know most MP games lock it to 60 for everyone?
>>
>>255942632
>Mad that a random list on the internet doesn't look amazing
Fix it yourself then mr autism.
>>
>>255947743
Halo PC was a blast.
>>
>>255947501
>getting mad over people not using caps properly
>getting mad over people not using proper punctuation
>getting mad over people liking and disliking certain things
>getting mad over people preferring tits over ass
>getting mad over people posting sample size images from danbooru/gelbooru
Welcome to /v/.
>>
>lets remove gameplay features people will love that
>>
File: 1330193755329.png (12KB, 296x300px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1330193755329.png
12KB, 296x300px
>>255948023
>>
>>255947234
ynZ was always good at combo, but luxxiz has some top tier zoning.
>>
>>255947743
Halo 3 Custom games was some of the best fun I've ever had
It was basically the modding scene for consoles
>>
>>255948023
> "For example: "
>>
>>255948228
I'm loving it, I'll gladly pay 60 bucks for this game over Bungie's newest turd.
>>
>>255946421
As much as those dumbfucks at Bungie let them
>>
>>255948228
>let's remove unnecessary shit other games introduced over the years
>>
>>255947743
Fun

Gaming has lacked that for a while.
>>
>mite b cool.jpg
>>
>>255947536
>ADHD
>Having fucking problems with QUAKE or similar games
>game designed around going really fast and shooting shit
>>
I didn't expect anything opening the video. Now I need to fap.
>>
>>255940534
>most people who got to play the game said it was bland and boring
Like who?
>>
>>255948296
UE3 caps the FPS at 90 by default so most of those games can't do 120FPS
>>
>>255938864
NO

Free to play in all its forms outside of mods is unacceptable.
>>
>>255935652
You have my attention.
>>
>>255947743
>hes never had a halo:ce lan party
>>
File: frogi.gif (8KB, 200x125px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
frogi.gif
8KB, 200x125px
>No leveling
Then why should I play this game? I think I stick with League.
>>
What multiplayer shooty pew pew games can I play on a PC right now?
>>
No F2P gets me hyped.

Game wont be flooded with south american gutter trash.
>>
>>255948363
I was just thinking this, I'll pay full retail price for nice arena shooter. After what I played of destiny in the beta, probably not going to even own a ps4 past November. This on the other hand. Totally the demographic they're marketing to.
>>255941178
I never want to play halo again. Didn't in 2001, don't want to now.
>>
>>255947234


It better be.

dodgejump > ut99
>>
File: ayy lmao.png (825KB, 647x504px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ayy lmao.png
825KB, 647x504px
>>255948879
>>
>>255948879
>he needs an imaginary hamster wheel to feel for progress in a game when you can just become a better player and have fun

Go do your little tasks, sheep.
>>
>no free to play

they must have a team of fucking gods at marketing because this won't sell to the masses if they catch up it's Halo plagiarism.
>>
I wish it didn't look exactly like halo, the HUD looks similar too.

Think they'll be a forge mode?
>>
>>255949308
Trailer said dodge, not dodge jump. It's more like UT3 with dodge and double jump.
>>
Looks like Halo mixed with Quake and a small dose of ShootMania
I also love that little "FREE TO PLAY" followed by "NO" dropping in. I was honestly a little concerned when I first saw it, tickled my funny bone how they used it as a joke.

Consider me interested
>>
>>255948408
>>255948857

I played the original Halo at a LAN party exactly once. I thought it was a very bland mediocre game so we went back to having fun and playing UT.
>>
>>255948659
>by default
Do you usually miss key phrases in your own writing?
>>
>>255949815
Sorry im not an amerifat or bongish
>>
>Console kids are getting a degenerated halo game
>PC players are getting an improved one
>>
>>255950008
both console kids and pc players are getting an improved halo game, halo 5 is basically halo 3 v2 and this looks great
>>
>>255949393

please no.

The dumbed down movement of ut3 was the single worst thing about it.
>>
File: GOTTA SOUND FAST.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
GOTTA SOUND FAST.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>255939260
maximum b8ing
>>
http://forum.toxikk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11 The casuals have arrived...
>>
File: 124324..png (821KB, 719x840px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
124324..png
821KB, 719x840px
>>255950247
>And it looks great
>>
File: 1403042678085.gif (3MB, 290x189px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403042678085.gif
3MB, 290x189px
>>255950247
>and this looks great
>>
>>255935652

>The good
They basically ran down a list of "shit I don't like" that wouldn't be in the game

>The bad
They still have to actually make a good game and I didn't really see anything in that video to convince me that it will be

I'll forget about it for now and I'm sure /v/ will go apeshit over it when it comes out if it ends up being any good.
>>
>>255949696
>Get rekt in a LAN party
>"T-this sucks!! I'm back to my real man's shooters full of originality and non mediocre blandness"
>>
>>255950395
And they get immediately shot down by other forum members
>>
>>255950395
It's just one lost faget, everyone disagrees with him.
>>
File: modern games.png (15KB, 608x108px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
modern games.png
15KB, 608x108px
>>255950894
>>
>>255951171
i dont see how health/cpver/ironsight/reload has to do with "goals"
>>
>No F2P
Awesome! How much? $40? $50?

>$15
Fantastic! That's cheap as fuck!

>$25 for 2 copies, $45 for 4
Holy shit, this model could work as it could get a lot of players thrown in very cheaply.

I'm definitely thinking about buying it.

>Closed beta @ Q4-2014
>Steam Early Access

Ehggh.... We'll have to see about this one. I've been burned by Steam EA a couple times now.
>>
>>255951171
Let the nerds be mad that don't know any better and only grew up with those things. Haters gonna hate.
>>
>>255947743
i bought Halo when it came out on PC because some part of me thought it wouldn't be totally dumbed down when MS bought Bungie.
it was a very bland, boring shooter and i ended up dropping it quickly.
maybe some of the newer Halos are better.
>>
>>255941421
>Acutally, it's "Vehicular Game Modes" and they're totally optional. But a lot of people like them (incl. most of the dev team)... so we brought them. ;)

From the comments
>>
>>255944707
Ur mom looks like dog shit m8.
>>
>>255951446

But we aren't backward enough brah, remove aiming up and down too. Every FPS should be like the first doom
>>
>>255951171
somebody tell him this game is for us oldskoolfags, nobody is forcing him to play it
>>
this thread is full of viralfags but it looks alright
>>
>>255941721
I'm actually starting to think that's true
>>
>>255951171
And so it begins, the greatest shitstorm of our time.

CoD kiddies gonna be CoD kiddies.
>>
>>255951414
$15 is a steal if the game is even close to being decent. If it turns out to be meh, then $15 is nothing anyway.

It's a good gamble, in my opinion, since it looks like it's gonna be decent.
>>
>>255935652
>What say you /v/? can the Arena Shooter truly come back?
>Halo-esque sci-fi

C-, you tried.

This won't revive shit.
>>
File: Shootmania-HERO.jpg (235KB, 613x331px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Shootmania-HERO.jpg
235KB, 613x331px
Why aren't you kids playing me? I am oldskool too
>>
>>255953805
Games that try to be competitive from the ground up always fail miserably
UT and Toxikk are aiming for FUN. Shootmania was aiming for "muh e-sports!"
>>
>>255953805

Was just about to post the very same question.

That game is fun as fuck.
>>
>>255954014
>fun
Casual
>>
>>255953805
It was fun, but got old fast. The whole e-sports thing was kind of pushed into my face a little too hard. I still love Trackmania though.
>>
>>255954154
This

Only casuals have "fun."
Vidya is srs business.
>>
>>255954014
>muh e-sports
No matchmaking and no in-game twitch streaming though

Shootmania is as competetive as Trackmania. as in barely
>>
>>255954382
They were aiming for something that they couldn't even do. It's fucking retarded
>>
>>255935652
>TOXIKK

Edgy title.
>>
File: sdf456hj.png (130KB, 340x340px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
sdf456hj.png
130KB, 340x340px
Kind of reminds me of Onslaught from UT2004, so that's neat.

But when I was watching this trailer, I got a "HEY GAMERS REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DAYS US OLD SCHOOL GAMERS HUH" vibe from it. It was almost like the developers didn't have anything good to say about the game, so instead they were like "w-well it's not like CoD".

It's great that there's people who want to make games like this, but it's probably going to be one of those games that gets hyped up because it's not just another CoD clone and so on, it comes out and everyone loses interest in it quickly, because everyone who played FPS games back then are either normalfags who moved on with life or tired gamer NEETs.
>>
>>255953805
Because oldskool arena FPS got stale and faded away. Being loyal to that specific genre just like how MOBAs are to the original DotA means there's little to nothing to do that isn't a reskin or one gameplay gimmick permeating over the rest of the game.

That's why games that imposed new features and not just gimmicks became popular, such as Halo and CowardDaddy. These features offered something new and most importantly a meta different than what we had until then, which was stale.

But ironically these new features got now stale and devs decided, what better than to rile up the hype for the oldskool style of FPS and its meta? Nostalgic people will eat it up even through it'll never be a true arena FPS and new people who overdosed on CoD will see it as something new and fresh.

tl;dr You're all getting baited by marketing.
>>
>>255954980
> Kind of reminds me of Onslaught from UT2004
I'm pretty sure that was the whole point
>>
>>255954014

Exactly.

The reason Brood War and Warcraft III were fun was because they aimed for fun, then became esports friendly later (Brood War atleast anyways) due to the game getting great balance after release, etc. Meanwhile SC2 was esports shit from the ground up.
>>
>>255955264
Dota 2 is the best example of a multiplayer game sequel done right there is

Had Blizzard done the same with SC2 no one would care about Brood War anymore
>>
>>255955568
But BW pretty much died after SC2.
>>
>>255955064
10/10
>>
>>255956106
Ancient Apparition looks so retarded
>>
>>255954549
can't wait for TOXIKK 2: TOXIKKZ
>>
Not with this ugly game.

Look at those visuals. Everything is so noisy and dull and lacking in any color whatsoever.

The designs suck, you can't figure out what anything is.

And that video was horrendous.
>>
>>255956038
Abandon all hope
>>
>>255956264
>that feel
>>
What the fuck is there to do in an arena FPS besides shoot? modern shooters aren't the greatest thing ever but they're not boring like arena shooters

>marketing your game by taking out all of the feautures that make an FPS engaging to market to an extremely small niche

Also why would the arena shooter come back? it was an overly simplistic genre that was oversaturated years ago. That's like asking if guitar hero is coming back.

>assault rifles in a fucking arena shooter
>vehicles
>skill based

just fucking stop. Go play UT3 if you think arena shooters are the best.
>>
>>255935652
>ALL THE THINGS IN POPULAR FPS GAMES
>NOT HERE NIGGA
>PARTY LIKE ITS 1999
>ONLY FOR PC

is this the hipsterest game ever made?
>>
>>255956332
TOXIKK
TOXIKKZ
TOXIKK3
TOXIKK RESURRECTION
>>
File: image.jpg (10KB, 236x285px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
10KB, 236x285px
>UT2k14
>TOXIKK
>DOOM 4
>HALO 5 (RETURNING TO HALO 2 STYLE)
>CLIFFY B PROJECT

ITS HAPPENING
ARENA FPS IS BACK
>>
>>255956529
I play games for fun
I don't want progression systems that handicap me for not having all weapons/equipment available to me.
I want to boot the game, join a server and have a blast with no bullshit
>>
>>255955568

I'm usually not for sequels just being the previous game with better graphics, but it depends.

Dota 2 being DotA with all these new features, bells and whistles, graphics and so on was exactly what it needed to be. SC2's multiplayer should have just been Brood War with new graphics and online features (just like you said) while the campaign would still be a sequel.

Diablo III however, I wanted Diablo III. Not Diablo II HD or Diablo 2.5, but Diablo III. But what we got was Diablo: We Want The Console And WoW Audience Edition.
>>
Is there a map maker?
Will the devs support the game for years?
If it doesn't have either of these, then the game will die.
>>
>>255956672
> Implying cliff bazinga's game will be good
>>
that shit looks exactly like tribes ascend.

i liked tribes ascend
>>
>>255956541
Quite possibly. But it caught my interest
>>
File: 1375119883878.jpg (5KB, 199x251px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1375119883878.jpg
5KB, 199x251px
>>255956529
>taking out all of the feautures that make an FPS engaging

>iron sights
>slow walk /w sprint button
>two weapon systems
>killstreaks

>engaging
>>
>>255956786
They announced a free sdk to registered users and a local hub for all community made content
>>
>>255957007
Let the man that likes modern military shooters be. He simply doesn't like arena shooters
>>
>>255935652
nice try, reakktor studios
>>
>>255957007
>engaging

for everyone but you. Stop trying to act like you matter. The fact that no one's making or buying arena shooters shows just how small the niche is.

>>255956689
Everyone plays games for fun. It just so happens that a lot more people like all the mechanics that modern games have.
>>
>>255956786
>Is there a map maker?
All registered players can apply for a FREE SDK to build own maps, characters and skins etc. for TOXIKK. We will put up a web page as a central hub for user generated content on TOXIKK.com. Players may vote user-generated content to be made available through this hub. All content on this hub will be offered free of charge. The whole process will be handled through our forums.

Read the site, nigga.
>>
>>255956796
Out of all the "new old school FPS games" his will probably be the worst, but you never know.
>>
>>255957270
>for everyone but him
>i like it therefore the majority does
Really?
>>
>>255957270
> a lot more people like all the mechanics that modern games have.
They don't have a choice.
>>
>>255957270
>for everyone but you

You don't get to speak for everyone, faggot. Just yourself.
>>
>>255957465
>i like it therefore the majority does

I wasn't referring to myself. I was referring to everyone IRL. i.e. the majority of people.
Who said I like modern shooters? With the exception of TF2 I play CS source more than anything in my games list.

>>255957485
yeah they do. You think games like Strike Vector die out becuase they don't have a choice? It's because no one wants to play it, good as it is. It's just not what's in anymore.
>>
File: 1406005635429.jpg (36KB, 636x474px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1406005635429.jpg
36KB, 636x474px
Remember how UT2004, Planetside, Command & Conquer: Renegade, Half-Life 2 and so on weren't just Doom with better graphics? They actually innovated and took things a step forward while still being great games? New FPS should do that too.
>>
>>255957867
>Half-Life 2
>innovated
>>
>>255957867
That requires effort. It's easier to make a quick buck by just selling CoD with a different texture pack every now and then.
>>
>>255957867
> UT2k4
> first run with my new 7800 GT and setting everything on maximum
> mfw commentator goes HOLY SHIT
> mfw all those sharp textures and pretty player models
> mfw pure distilled fun
>>
>>255953805
i have played over 1000 hours of shootmania.

the game had great potential but the developers (nadeo) just might be the most incapable/naive devs ive ever seen. so many shitty decisions, they cant even get the GUI and the server browser right, they remade it at least 2 or 3 times and it still sucks. the gameplay has many flaws as well (tri-laser for elite, unnecessary falling damage, elite being the main mode, etc).

it's still good for a bit of fun but nadeo is fucking the game up more and more with every patch.
>>
I just want a fun shooter with a brisk pace.

Doesn't matter if it has moderm game mechanics like ironsights.
Doesn't matter if it's bunnyhopping and wallrunning.

I just want a game that plays well.

I feel most modern shooters like to take things out of the player's hand and still hand them stuff for nothing, like killstreak rewards and loadouts.

Not so fun.
>>
>>255957787
Games like Strike Vector have literally no advertising and the game's not that great to begin with. It's just a fun indie title.

Now with big games like Unreal Tournament and maybe Toxikk things might shake up a little
>>
>>255958464
Titanfall is kind of like what you're asking for, too bad it's ded
>>
File: 1402562397580.png (11KB, 211x246px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1402562397580.png
11KB, 211x246px
>>255958438
>i have played over 1000 hours of shootmania.
>>
>>255958464
> wallrunning
That was the only good thing I've liked in the Titanfall. Seriously, the movement there is just so good it makes everything else less terrible.
>>
File: 1387200319060.jpg (51KB, 499x499px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1387200319060.jpg
51KB, 499x499px
>>255935652
of course, but what will its sequel look like?
>>
>>255956529
>it was an overly simplistic genre

kek, watch some quake videos m8
>>
Isn't there going to be a new UT game made too? Will arena FPS make a comeback?
>>
>>255958647
What I was trying to say is that it can play however it likes and as long as it's not terribly slow I would enjoy it.

Titanfall was.. Okayish. Didn't really like the pacing because of the Titans themselves.
Even if they aren't terribly dangerous if you know what you're doing it dragged the game down.
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
>>255958415
>mfw getting flak cannoned into nothing but a pair of legs cut off at the knees and flying away in a low grav stage
>>
>>255958691
got a bit addicted for a few months and played some tournaments. was good fun for a while.
>>
>>255956529
> simplistic
> anything on higher than "drunk games over lan" actually requires a shitton of planning and skill to win

>>255958893
> launch a redeemer in crowd on lowgrav stage
> all those bodyparts
>>
>>255958590
>Games like Strike Vector have literally no advertising

It was on steam's front page just like every dime a dozen indie game that actually sells. It had trailers up on youtube. It was the same as every other game

>game's not that great to begin with
>implying it's not the greatest thing to grace the competitive scene since UT3

>>255958772
>kek, watch some quake videos m8

>MUH REFLEXES
>MUH BUNNYHOPPING
>the occasional lucky headshot as the guy comes around the corner

yeah, nah I've seen it all before. I'm not saying they weren't great but they're not the best thing in the world. not by a long shot. Just because a lot of people grew up with them doesn't mean they're perfect.

>>255959020
>actually requires a shitton of planning and skill to win

>learn a map
>put in like 30 hours of gametime for reflexes and metagame

>planning
>skill
lel
>>
>>255941616
You need to remove Armikrog as its going to be on WiiU in addition to PC.

>Mount and Blade 2: Warbanner
Its "Bannerlord" dipshit.
>>
Oh look, another game arena fags will ignore because it's not Quake or UT, then complain on how no one makes arena shooters anymore.
>>
Looks sorta neat, initially reminded me of Halo though. Seemed kinda slow for my taste though.

>>255950395
Christ how do people play shooters with controllers? It's impossible to shoot accurately, thats why they have that auto lock snap on consoles.
>>
File: 1405483390001.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405483390001.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
>>255959342
>Quake
>headshot
>>
>>255959342
You're implying UT and maybe Toxikk will be as dead as Strike Vector
>>
They don't seem to understand that removing a few features of modern games doesn't turn them into good arena shooters. They're echoing the uninformed opinions of arrogant pricks and designing a game around it.

It will fail.
>>
File: 1272572753.jpg (211KB, 1202x1408px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1272572753.jpg
211KB, 1202x1408px
>>255959342
> quake
> headshot
>>
>>255959556
UT will be dead within the month.
Toxikk will be dead on arrival

>>255959629
They cater to a niche genre. They have to conform to whatever the niche thinks.

>>255959546
>>255959817
I got UT confused with quake
>>
>>255935652

>That EVERYTHING ripped shamelessly from Section 8

Wow, no.
Rather wait for UT, at least that will have a elder god tier soundtrack.
>>
It's Tribes without the ski and jetpack.
Now think about this for a second.
>>
>>255942028
you obvisouly cared enough to shitpost about it

hopefully this game rolls out a SDK for custom content, on PC custom content such as maps, gamemodes and the ilk are really what make or break a community outside the competitive scene

looks neat
>>
File: 1277591788.jpg (500KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1277591788.jpg
500KB, 1920x1080px
>>255960080
> UT
> headshot
>>
>>255957787
I see. I hope arena shooters can co exist with modern shooters. Having burgh franchises will be good for the industry
>>
File: le shiggy man.webm (416KB, 1280x720px)
le shiggy man.webm
416KB, 1280x720px
>>255935652
>US OLD SCHOOL GAMERS, HUH?: The Trailer
>DAE HATE COD? XD
>thumbs up for the classics
>TOXIKK

Obnoxious as fuck.

Don't get hyped for things when the marketing is based entirely around "We're not the thing you dislike"
>>
>>255960080
>UT will be dead within the month
>Toxikk will be dead on arrival

Too early to say how quickly they will die. But hey good thing we have fortune tellers like you around, huh?
>>
File: 1393369069605.jpg (110KB, 710x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1393369069605.jpg
110KB, 710x640px
>>255935652
>FREE TO PLAY
Fuck.
>jk
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Where do I preorder
>>
File: 1382645495744.gif (500KB, 215x219px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1382645495744.gif
500KB, 215x219px
>>255935652
Ironically enough it looks like generic cod with faster movement and halo graphics, not a true arena fps.
>>
File: laughing robots.jpg (142KB, 500x420px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
laughing robots.jpg
142KB, 500x420px
>>255947743
Did you ever play Halo 2, 3 or Reach custom games (specifically 3's)?

>He never played Fat Kid, Pirate Ship, Indiana Jones, or Jaws with /v/ in Halo 3
>He never played Sanic or Halo Kart in Reach

Seriously, they were fun as fuck, Halo is pretty meh otherwise, but shit like Fat Kid and Jaws were 10/10 fun that I have yet to see replicated since.
>>
>>255960371
>Sniper rifle
>>
>>255935652
It really doesn't look anything like an arena fps. Why is anyone getting hyped for this?
>>
>>255960765

That rifle looks almost EXACTLY like the rifle in Section 8 with a side loaded cylinder drum/battery.
All I can think about it is it might be some attempt to make a new Section 8 like since the studios closed down ages ago and completely mangled the marketing for it.
>>
>>255951171

I like that he named himself after a shitty anime that's all flash and no substance. It lets you know that you can ignore his opinion right off the bat.
>>
>>255960371
>lightning gun/sniper rifle
>>
This is pandering so fucking hard that it's obnoxious.

I kinda like it
>>
>>255935652
Could it be!?
The second coming of Shabot?!?
Could the prophecy be true?!
>>
>>255960705
>>255961013
> only weapons with headshotting
> also never used aside from assault/onslaught and facing worlds
>>
>>255960651
>halo graphics
You say that like its a bad thing? Bungie!Halo is great in terms of visual aesthetics/design.

Also
>TOXIKK.
Who the hell thought of that name? Its fucking terrible.
>>
>>255961107
>Shabot

You fucked up, Sandraker.
>>
>>255960765
It's a ut2k4 clone (a game that's actually fun, not some dogshit quake clone)
>>
>>255961109
Yes, your point being?
>>
>>255935652
this new halo looks fun
>>
>>255960514
GTFO
>>
>>255961109

>One-shot capability with pixel perfect centre of screen aim
>Even the sniper has far more accuracy and projectile speed than any other weapon besides shock and lightning yet still has the OHKO capability
>Those massive head hitboxes

Yeah nah you're talking shit.
>>
>>255935652
>NO Leveling
In other words no reason to fucking play.
DROPPED
>>
File: 1368266596789.gif (2MB, 336x167px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1368266596789.gif
2MB, 336x167px
>>255935652
>free to play

>NOT

fuckin A, gettin hopeful here
>>
so after watching ops vid this should be the greatest game ever according to years of reading mustards posts
>>
>>255961297
You're a cancer. Go back to CoD
>>
>>255961283
Great rebuttal. Truly thought provoking.
>>
wow where can I pre-ordered this??
>>
>>255961123
Generic power armor + generic pokemon forests does not equal good aesthetics.
>>
File: 1386729137138.png (122KB, 400x359px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1386729137138.png
122KB, 400x359px
Looks interesting.

I'd try it.
>>
The question is: Does it have bots?
>>
File: 1402854192314.gif (2MB, 252x188px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1402854192314.gif
2MB, 252x188px
>>255935652
>No levelling

This worries me

I think unlocking guns and loadouts and shit is stupid, but what really keeps me going in an FPS is levelling up to customize your character's appearance

I hope there's at least some sort of aesthetic progression system, even if it's just helmets.
>>
>>255935652
Oh yeah, because a non-f2p multiplayer indie shooter will totally have a thriving community to keep it alive.

>inb4 Chivalry and Insurgency
Those already had active communities due to being extremely popular free mods before going standalone.
>>
>>255961612
Why do you want a carrot in front of you? Why can't people just play games for fun anymore?
>>
>>255961442
-->
Door is that way.
>>
Looks pretty good
>free to play
Wow its fucking nothi--
>NOT free to play
Based
>>
Nice viral, I expect a flurry of spam in the next week.

The trailer looks shit and reveals absolutely nothing. The only thing it does is stroke it's own penis in front of everyone, saying "look, we're not like tactical FPS games, because every tactical FPS game is COD guys, we're hardkkore over here :^)". I don't care. Nobody fucking cares. Show some actual features and gameplay.
>>
>>255961612

You are what's wrong with video games.
>>
>>255961612
I can see some autists complaining about muh hitboxes for different shaped armours
>>
>>255961192
Go ahead and die in the field because you're all dead to me!
>>
>>255961782
This guy gets it
>>
>>255961583
Yes
>>
>>255935652

>TOXIKK XXX 420 ERINASHEWTA XXX

Also what is so bad about leveling systems so long as they dont change gameplay just aesthetics?
>>
>>255961829

You dont know how oldschool arena fps's work do you?
>>
File: 1351109485876.jpg (15KB, 158x209px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1351109485876.jpg
15KB, 158x209px
>>255935652
Oh look, it's Nexuiz with less style and brown colors. it'll be dead in a month.
>>
>>255961732
>>255961812
I just think it's cool to have custom armour, what's wrong with that?

I also think adding an aesthetic progression system will keep a larger community going longer, a lot of people will get bored without a goal
>>
Why didn't they just call it Toxic instead of Tokixx? Are they foreigners or something?
>>
Like some some shit UT players would gobble up.

notquake/10
>>
>>255960653
>Fat Kid
The memories, bruh. It hurts.
>>
>>255961782
A+ shitpost
>>
>>255962138
It's hardkkore just like they are :) you can tell because they don't like babby shit like COD. they are true gamers.
>>
>>255962138
Look at their studio name. They're just fucking retards.
>>
Pros:
The graphics look great.
Gameplay looks solid

Cons:
The name is stupid
As much as I love mid-game achievements, I find that "100+ Double Kill" notification annoying. Just make that shit a little medal icon that pops up and fades like Halo
>>
>>255962194
>viral defense force is already out
He made a perfectly reasonable post you stupid shit
>>
>>255962013
>what is so bad about leveling systems so long as they dont change gameplay just aesthetics?
Name one game that has a leveling system that only affects aesthetics. Oh wait, you can't.
>>
>>255962194
Yours is
>>
>>255962097
I'm not aware of anything that a different style of helmet would impede, as long as it's the same size and doesn't have weird antennae shit sticking out of it
>>
>>255939260
Made me chuckle. i mean i'm fine with progression (like halo 3 with ranks) where if you suck for a while your rank drops and vice versa. Just not this progression for weapons crap.
>>
>>255962295
>he
Stop samefagging, Mr. Shitposter
>>
>>255961612
From the game's FAQ:

>However, unlike the shooter giants from the past, TOXIKK features an XP and a bounty system. The XP system and its associated ranks are used for reputation purposes, for our match-making algorithms and to unlock new skins, but they do NOT change the stats or the abilities of your character. Your rank will show other players how experienced and skilled YOU are (rather than showing the experience level of your game character).
>>
>>255962353

You really dont know how a oldschool arena game work.
>>
>>255962013
Leveling/grinding is the reason why MMOs are addictive. You give players a little reward of a number going up every so often to make them feel like they're accomplishing something. For keeping people playing your game, it's the oldest trick in the book.

A truly good game doesn't need something like that to keep its players entertained. When you finish playing a game and feel good because you genuinely had fun and not because some of your arbitrary numbers got bigger, that's the mark of a good game.
>>
>>255962165
Why the fuck can't some developer put shit like that in a game as a mode?
Halo's appeal to many is its custom games, is it that hard to make the option to let people customize their games these days?

I'd kill for a game on PC that I could dick around with /v/ and play Fat Kid
>>
>>255962353
you should just be able to import your own skins made by modders. i think that's what this other guy meant.
>>
>>255940457

I was burned by T:A and I like the fact that it has a similar art style. Assuming we get enough flexibility in custom games we may even be able to go fast again.

Do you remember it Anon? The wind buffeting your helmet, the VGS spam, that music change when you grabbed the flag?
>>
What does halo 4 have to do with anything?
>>
>>255962424
>for our match-making algorithms
This could be kept completely invisible.
>to unlock new skins
Count on many players becoming bored and dropping the game as soon as they unlock everything since there's nothing else for them to earn.
>>
File: 1405469764773.jpg (56KB, 500x385px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405469764773.jpg
56KB, 500x385px
>all of these people blindly defending to the point of shitposting a game that has only had one trailer with minimal gameplay that is building its marketing campaign on "well it's not Call of Duty"
>>
>shooters become casualised as fuck and indies must revive it and revert it to the late 90s
>meanwhile fighting games are still strong, and only a few shit western games (injustice, etc) have tried to pull it down while the majority are 100% dedicated to their core fanbase

I think we know the superior genre.
>>
>people still have hope for "throwback" shooters

they're all just cashing in on kids who never actually played the games they so desperately tried to emulate, they'll ditch it and the quake audience will still be playing quake
>>
>>255962548
>Nice shot!
>Thanks!
after getting blue plates.
good times.
>>
File: 1392564084769.jpg (9KB, 302x225px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1392564084769.jpg
9KB, 302x225px
>>255962535

No, in olschool arena games you were able to do something called FORCEMODEL, which basically means you choose the model and the color of the opponent, also all the models had the same hitbox.

You were there to actually play and get gud, not to grind for your faggot amour like this guy>>255961612

It's fun to see how many newfriends are these threads nowadays
>>
>>255962679
>I think we know the superior genre.
Yeah, Roguelikes
>>
>>255962319
Halo Reach

XP unlocks you armor, and it kept me playing the game long after I was tired of the game modes

Also DOTA 2 kind of. After every match there's a chance for an aesthetic item to drop for you
>>
>>255962194
>>255962410
How does it feel to be shit at marketing?
Sage.
>>
>>255962872
i know that. that isn't what he wants though. bit stupid, arent we?
>>
Derailing thread: isn't the new unreal tourney supposed to be f2p? Or is the engine supposed to be free?
I enjoyed ut3 even though it was shiny as fuck. I was also bad at it
>>
File: image.jpg (13KB, 208x210px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
13KB, 208x210px
Looks like Halo.
>>
>>255963020
f2p: yes
engine: if you want to develop you have to pay for a subscription or something like that.
>>
>>255962878
At least fighting games can experiment without people going "NO, NO, THAT'S NOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE ORIGINAL!" With things like HFTF, MvC2, Skullgirls, Divekick, Smash bros you don't get the staleness that troubles the roguelike genre.

Doesn't help roguelikes that there's no market for it so a roguelike with a healthy budget will never be realised.
>>
>>255963037
Nothing wrong with that
>>
>>255963234
>staleness
Fuck off retard.
>wahh they aren't casualising the genre
What's so hard about following a few rules?
>turn-based
>grid-based
>perma-death
>random-gen
Complaining about that is like complaining that the fighter genre is stagnate because they don't make it a fps shooter.
>>
File: 1391361816567.gif (991KB, 500x281px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1391361816567.gif
991KB, 500x281px
>>255935652

Reminds me of sped-up Halo 3.

I like it.
>>
I hate how games have to advertise about which features they don't have rather than what they're adding to the genre. Still though, this game looks pretty fun aside from the elitist faggotry that was this trailer.
>>
>>255962979
B shitpost.
>>
I never really saw the draw of arena shooters
>>
>>255963431
Why are you so afraid of change that anything being different you label as "casualization"? I didn't specify what could be changed or introduced to freshen the genre up and your hostility proves my point that the genre will forever be stagnant.
>>
>>255961732
The only carrot in front of you should be your skill and the feeling you get when you wipe the floor with your opponents.
>>
>>255962872

>>255963002 here

just read it again and realized my answer was a bit unclear. i mean that instead of grindy unlocks you should be able to just pick any skin you want in this game. but l dont see how this would conflict with forcemodel.

were you just talking about how it was in the past?
>>
26k views in a few hours

Reakktor must have some good shills
>>
>>255963661
>I didn't specify what could be changed or introduced to freshen the genre up
Because it's obvious that you know nothing about it.
There are games from Nethack to Cata to ChessRL to the weakening wizard one, again
Fuck off retard
>>
>>255935652
It looks like Unreal Tournament 3 which, for some reason, everyone hated
>>
File: 1297557310560.gif (1MB, 193x135px)
1297557310560.gif
1MB, 193x135px
>>255961612
...and then there's this fucking guy.
>>
>>255963882
>post on NeoGAF, reddit and 4chan
>samefag a lot
>instant viral
>>
>>255963661
The thing is while they did change things up with modern shooters, they also did make them stupidly easy. Easy to the point of unsatisfying.
>>
>>255962464

Pro tip: halo eliminated any sort of freedom that games had to mod them and make custom games to simply change weapones/buffs that were already in the game.

The more i think about it halo truly was the downfall of fps
>>
>>255961612
I'm kind of disappointed too, maybe some update will bring different colors for your weapons or, if we're lucky, even some perks.
>>
>>255935652
That actually looks incredible. It looks like Halo a bit but much faster pace.
>>
File: 6516813249.jpg (52KB, 449x630px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
6516813249.jpg
52KB, 449x630px
>>255962872
The new generation is here in full force, my man.

I'm 19 and I've never played any Quake or UT competitively. I have played them, but only for fun with my buddies and only for a short while. I grew up on the Halo trilogy, and I loved it. They're not even bad games, they just get shit for because you have to use a controller to play them. If you don't like that, kids growing up now are playing things much, much worse than the Halo trilogy.

I just like having fun, and I also like working towards an objective. Preferably a cosmetic objective because I don't like the idea of having an advantage before a match even starts. Nothing to get upset about.

Time passes. Video games change with time. They will have highs and lows. You can't get angry at someone for growing up during a low.
>>
File: 1347230403286.gif (1MB, 200x116px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1347230403286.gif
1MB, 200x116px
>take fps back to its roots
>game looks like fucking halo
>>
>>255961612
Hi friend,

Maybe these games aren't for you? You don't have to buy and play every game that hits the market. If you're into character customization I think you should think about buying a doll house and shove it up your ass.

:^3
>>
>>255963968
You're giving me the impression that roguelike is a "comfort zone" genre (which totally conflicts with the gameplay) where not much can change otherwise it's weird and unfamiliar eww. Yes there are lots of different roguelikes with their own settings and gimmicks but compare how different they are to any other genre. They rival flight sims in how similar they are to eachother, but at least flight simulators have the excuse that they exist to replicate flying in planes.

Feel free to toss a few more ad hominems my way.
>>
>>255964197
Don't forget
>aggressively shitposting everyone who calls out their bullshit
Sage and ignore, remember.
>>
>>255963234
>>255962679
>he thinks the fighting game genre isn't completely similar with every entry
The fact that people consider a game that tries anything mechanically different like smash not a fighting game only proves this. Doom and quake are less similar than any 2 fighting games.
>>
>>255964432
im 1 year older than you and still enjoy legit arena fps more. dont use your age as an excuse for having shit taste m888
>>
>>255964402
Looks like a UT 2k4 clone with Halo character models
>>
>>255964437
>artstyle=roots
Mmhmm
>>
>>255964287
>Pro tip: halo eliminated any sort of freedom that games had to mod them and make custom games to simply change weapones/buffs that were already in the game.
That's because it was a fucking console game, how the hell are you supposed to mode a console game outside of hacking your console?
>The more i think about it halo truly was the downfall of fps
Halo was just a Half-Life clone, if you want to blame anything blame that for starting the trend of shooters like these.
>>
All it needs is modding support for custom gametypes and maps.
>>
i just wanna play fun fps
>>
So what happened to people once xp grinding/perks/killstreaks/etc came about in FPS? People loved FPS games without those and played multiplayer games for dozens of hours, if not hundreds. What happened?
>>
T:A was never good, classes ruined it from the get go
>>
>>255964602
I'm OK with this
>>
>>255964564
Cool shitpost.
>>
File: itsover.jpg (257KB, 1918x1029px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
itsover.jpg
257KB, 1918x1029px
>>255940985
>halo devs state their focusing on arena style gameplay for halo 5
>EVER believing PR bullshit
>let alone dev catering to COD console shooter
>>
>>255964602
>2k4 gameplay + space marine power armor

Could be neat. At least it's not the GoW aesthetic UT3 went with.
>>
>>255964509
>You're giving me the impression that roguelike is a "comfort zone" genre (which totally conflicts with the gameplay) where not much can change otherwise it's weird and unfamiliar eww.
Are you fucking trolling me?
You're saying a genre is stagnating because they're making it stay in the genre.
>Yes there are lots of different roguelikes with their own settings and gimmicks
You're a fucking retard that has no idea what he's talking about, if you knew anything about roguelikes you would know how different they are.
>oh hurr durr fightan games are stagnate because they all have melee combat
That's what you sound like.
>>
>>255963882
>implying op doesnt work for them
>>
>>255963037
That's a good thing though, Halo's art design was always pretty fantastic
Well, until the brutes got involved
Well early Halo's art style was fantastic, and the game player for Toxikk is not like Halo's, it's intended to be far more fast paced
>>
>>255964676

>That's because it was a fucking console game

I know consoles are shitty but im pretty sure you could do more if you let the game to be freely changed instead of forcing people to use completetly shit tools like forge (1map, x number of items, etc). But the game was with kids in mind.
>>
>>255963579
really fast paced shooting
Not for everyone, but really lacking in modern gaming
>>
>>255964716
To me it seems a lot of the older crowds got, well, older. Less time to be involved with the games they (probably still) love. Then the newer, younger crowd moved in and got involved at the same time killstreaks and xp rewards popped up.
>>
>>255965181
>I know consoles are shitty but im pretty sure you could do more if you let the game to be freely changed instead of forcing people to use completetly shit tools like forge
But you can't, it was on a M$ console, not the Dreamcast
>>
>>255964580
Compare Tekken 6 to Super Gem Fighter.
>>
File: 1401583481416.jpg (125KB, 589x572px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1401583481416.jpg
125KB, 589x572px
>>255964443
Why's everyone getting so mad at me for liking character customization

I'm not suggesting any changes to the gameplay, and I'm still going to play the game and enjoy it while the community is active

I just want to have fun
I also think character customization is cool and adds a worthwhile objective that doesn't taint the gameplay for people who like having a long term objective

Crucify me
>>
File: 1405647497645.png (271KB, 480x360px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405647497645.png
271KB, 480x360px
>>255935652
I have no problem with this shit. We'll see.
>>
>>255961612
>I play videogames just to dress up my character
>I don't play (and keep playing) a game becaue the game itself is enjoyable
Anon, honestly, have you considered another hobby? You sure as fuck don't sound like you're enjoying games.
>>
File: 1398822817322.gif (3MB, 400x244px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1398822817322.gif
3MB, 400x244px
>>255935652
>>255957007
I understand iron sights don't belong in an arena shooter, but I don't understand why people have a problem with them in general. I really enjoy Red Orchestra, STALKER, and Killing Floor. They feel great, and iron sights are a big part of that.

I played some hardcore CS in high school but now I can't stand crouching to shrink the size of my stupid reticle.

also
>no leveling
thank fuck
>>
>Tell casual Friends in call.

>One friend says, looks cool

>Spam chat with link over and over

>Casual friend kicks me

>Rejoin

>Tell Casual's about the game being Jesus

>Says No

>(shots fired) No actually its noah's ark as its saving fps

>By now I'm just fucking with them

>Keep spamming

>Talking about le link

>Casual friend bitch about hurr durr ripped off Planet Side 2

>Laugh

>Continue to mess with them

>Eventually get bored and stop

This is Noah's ark
>>
>>255964676
>Halo was just a Half-Life clone

u fokkin wot

Other than Sci-Fi FPS, I fail to see the resemblance. They play very differently.
>>
>>255965438

You are way too reasonable and calm to be posting here
>>
>>255965438
Because every fucking time character customization is in a game it breeds two terrible things:
a) Superiority complexes -- I have the exclusive faggot helm of lightning! and you don't! Neener neener! Leads to circlejerking.
b) Ruined artstyles -- See TF2's lime paint and Chivalry's "i can't tell which team you're on" clothing system
>>
>>255965574
I don't mind iron sights myself, I just feel like it's been a function tacted on to a lot of games that probably would've been more fun without.
>>
File: 1404260984743.jpg (94KB, 500x502px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1404260984743.jpg
94KB, 500x502px
>>255965665
>No actually its noah's ark as its saving fps
>>
>>255965369
>Implying gem fighter isn't a puzzle game
>>
Incoming flop. They are already advertising that they don't have a ton of features that most people love. They'll be a couple /v/ losers playing the game and then it will die.
>>
>>255965832

That's the point I stared fucking with them.
>>
File: 1405569586858.jpg (39KB, 720x612px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405569586858.jpg
39KB, 720x612px
>>255964676
>Halo
>Half-Life
okay, I'm mad
>>
>>255964926
Roguelikes aim to do lots of different things. Crafting systems, diseases, companions, stealth, ranged combat, etc. It would be interesting if more roguelikes would focus on one to perfect instead of, like most roguelikes, ending up with most aspects of gameplay being mediocre. And cool down.
>>
>>255964716

WoW happened. I know WoW isn't a FPS, but just hear me out. WoW was not only alot of peoples' first MMO, but their first RPG too. Ever since they played WoW, they only want to play games that have carrot on a stick shit now. CoD4 and LoL were the final nail in the coffin. Just about everyone I know who enjoyed FPS before WoW only like FPS games with carrot on a stick shit in them now.
>>
>>255965674
>>255966027
But Halo was just a dumbed down Half-Life clone.
>>
>>255965893
You're thinking of Puzzle Fighter. Pic related is Gem Fighter, made with the sprites of Puzzle Fighter. Puzzle Fighter plays like bejeweled or something.
>>
>>255965574
>Red Orchestra
>STALKER
Those were going for a much more realistic than shit like Battlefield 3 or CoD Black Ops ever were, so they fit more in place there
>>
>laggy unreal engine game trying to cash in on the OLDSKOOL ARENA FPS fad

Yeah, there's a reason people dropped ROTT multiplayer within a week. And that's because unreal is a fucking laggy glitchy engine. it doesnt't feel tight enough for a competetive shooter
>>
okay so why are people hyped about this ?

because as far as i can remember unreal tournament died out for a reason
>>
>>255966350
>>255965893
super gem fighter minimix
>>
>>255965516
I never said I play video games JUST to dress up my character

I play video games for fun
Like I said

What I'm not enjoying is having to point out how unreasonable it is to hate character customization
>>
>>255966436
Lots of shills
>>
>>255964676
>Halo was a half-life clone
Dumbest post in all of /v/ for the day. Congrats.
>>
Looks more like Halo than a real arena shooter, but still looks like plenty of fun. I'll definitely be checking this game out
>>
>>255966401
Have you played the current ut4 build? It can be good
>>
>>255946556
says you, my coworker fucking loves it. He told me he spent 30-40 hours on the beta.
>>
File: 1403125840412.png (129KB, 882x797px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403125840412.png
129KB, 882x797px
>>255966436
UT died because it's old
>>
NO LEVELING
NO IRON SIGHTS
NO CLASSES
NO RELOADING
NO BULLSHIT
NO REASON TO FUCKING PLAY

Well that was fun.
>>
this is what will happen to the game
>ohhh shit hype ma niggers
>game comes out
>awwwshit so many players
>after a few weeks it is casuals vs skilled players
>game dies out with only a small group of elite players left
>>
>>255935652
Looks too much like the "new" versions of UT to me. Personally, I preferred the original UT.

And why the fuck include those vehicles?
>>
File: Chief.jpg (23KB, 434x434px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Chief.jpg
23KB, 434x434px
>>255966236
>same weapon starts
>weapons spawn on map at set rates with set values
>map quality is a bit all over the place
>automatics are shit, single shot weapons rule supreme
>fucking grenades/ snarks


Seems about right m8
>>
>>255965574
>Anything more than rarely ever crouching in CS:Go
No. Please, stop.
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 550x485px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 550x485px
>>255953659
>art style having anything to do with gameplay
>>
>>255966236
>no sprint
>two weapons
>regenerating armor
>moon jumping
>no alternate fire modes
>much slower paced
>>
>>255966848
sounds about right, automatics were shit aside from when you could dual them. Even with that, the BR was overpowered to where it beat out automatics at automatic range, outdid the carbine, and could be used to harass a sniper at sniper range.
>>
>>255966743
FINAL DESTINATION
>>
>>255950395
>in fact titanfall had the best controller support
>game with a pistol with a HUGE aim help radius
How surpising.
>>
>>255947501
Why do I want to put my dick in that mouth?
>>
>>255967125
Think of the Griffball court in Halo, only you all spawn with BRs, no grenades, no weapon spawns, no ammo to pick up, and no one gets host.

MLG would wet themselves and die in bliss.
>>
>>255966951
Art style can affect gameplay, desaturated colors and filter effects can make it harder to spot targets.
>>
>>255966739
is that also what happened to WoW because that is still alive
>>
File: 1389147521837.jpg (177KB, 826x458px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1389147521837.jpg
177KB, 826x458px
>>255967267
Come on anon, you should already know why.
>>
>>255941721
>It's vaporware dude
Naw. It's Foreverware. It'll end up like Duke Nukem Forever; the game will die, get passed around like cake at a fat convention, and eventually publish - 10 years later.
>>
>>255935652

>FREE TO PLAY

FUCK!

>NO

OK, I'M SOLD.
>>
>>255966763
... because they can be fun? Did you hate 2k4 or something? And they said "Vehicular Game Modes" which means that their are specific maps with specific game play where those vehicles are involved, straight up deathmatch, team or otherwise, is still straight up deathmatch.

>>255935652
I've heard this song and dance before man. I've had my heart broken so many times. No Free To Play ALMOST makes me believe. But. No. Prove it first. No hope, no faith. I want some objective data.
>>
>>255966236
In that case Half-life was a watered down Doom clone
>>
>>255966848
Don't forget the aliens that turn people into zombies and regular aliens.
headcrab = the tiny flood tings with tentacles
But >hurr durr muh game is nothing like that one
>>255967049
I was talking about Halo CE
>>
>>255967437

>I'll pay 50$ for a game with 9 weapons, no classes, no customization, a few vehicles, and a handful of maps.

Man, hardcore gamers are cute.
>>
>>255967404
Those lips look perfect. Wet enough. Too bad I can't see the tongue.
>>
>>255967443
There's a reason why FPS's were called DOOM-likes for a while.
>>
>>255967561

le strawman.

Implying it will cost more than $30. Paywall keeps shitkids and BR's out.
>>
>>255967571
http://youtu.be/M0Y1J7_uDkw
>>
>>255967561
>What is the map making community

Look. I know you want to Rank Up, get fancy hats for your faggot character, and generally pretend that the time invested in your game is useless if you can't visually represent it to everyone who sees you.

You're a preening fuckstick, it's fine. But some of us like to play video games.
>>
>>255967561
Try $15 dollars you retard.
>>
>>255935652
>No Iron Sight Aiming
>Previous clip was that of someone scoping for a minor zoom

Still mite b fun.
>>
>>255967704
No longer after sprites died off.
>>
File: 1377928580249.gif (1MB, 350x272px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1377928580249.gif
1MB, 350x272px
>>255967950
But that's aiming with a scope, not aiming with an iron sight.
>>
TIME TO TAKE THE ARENA FPS
>vehicles
BACK TO ITS ROOTS
>more vehicles
>>
File: 1401240094231.gif (1MB, 305x239px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1401240094231.gif
1MB, 305x239px
>>255967797
>posting shit tier Korean ASMR

Japanese and French are leagues better in all aspects.
>>
File: 1376198741320.jpg (11KB, 232x197px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1376198741320.jpg
11KB, 232x197px
>>255968181
>Several clips of vehicles
>No clips of any kind of powerups
>>
>>255964287
>never heard of custom edition
>never heard of SPv3
>never heard of project contingency
Protip: all of the above are mods
>not considering how Forge made it easy for anyone to access mod-like options on console
>m-muh old school fps, halo RUINED it!!!

Shut up, retard. People like you are fucking tiring.
>>
>implying there were vehicles in 1999 arena shooters
>bragging about not being F2P
>looks like halo

I hope this studio enjoys making their one and only game. DOA.
>>
>>255968313
>French
disgusting guttural language
>>
>>255935652

You realize Quake 3 is still alive and perfectly playable on modern systems, right? The reason arena shooters fell in to obscurity is because most gamers just aren't interested in playing them anymore.

Also, fuck your gay Halo clone.
>>
>>255968473
You realize no one wants to play Quake 3 because it's literal garbage, right?
>>
The community is gonna be toxic
>>
>>255967737
>Paywall keeps shitkids and BR's out.

Paywall will keep everyone out. If you aren't a big name developer or working with a well known IP then you've got no fucking chance in hell of selling a pay to play MP FPS. Game isn't even out and it's already dead.
>>
File: 1401208285858.gif (937KB, 474x272px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1401208285858.gif
937KB, 474x272px
>>255968570
you got that right.
>>
>/v/ cries all the time because Arena FPS is dead
>Some dev is making an Arena FPS like the old ones but with good graphics
>/v/ cries anyway
Typical
>>
>>255968570
Just like any game's community.
>>