[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]

Half Life and Portal are NOT the same canon. People, please

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 478
Thread images: 42

File: Borealis_Ep2[1].jpg (343 KB, 959x576) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Borealis_Ep2[1].jpg
343 KB, 959x576
Half Life and Portal are NOT the same canon.

People, please stop taking everything Valve says or insinuates at face value. You're embarrassing yourselves. You were embarrassing yourselves for years for saying Episode 3 will not be Half Life 3 despite common sense saying otherwise. By now you've accepted this fact -- now accept that Half Life and Portal can only be related in one of these three ways:

1) It's just a joke.
2) It was a joke done intentionally to keep people guessing and talking while Valve are notorious for doing.
3) The two exist in the same world, but the Portal games themselves are an exaggeration and Aperture Science will be presented in a much more serious way in Half Life 3.

Half Life is hardly a 100% serious franchise what with characters like Dog and whatnot. However, GLaDOS and Wheatley and countless other over the top things in Portal simply cannot exist in Half Life canon.

And they don't.
>>
Cool source, bro.
>>
>>249895576

Jesus fucking christ. Common sense is my source. What the fuck is this, a peer reviewed study?
>>
OP, you're a faggot.
>>
>>249895173
It doesn't even matter.
HL3 isn't even vaporware at this point.
>>
>>249896613

Valve were most likely waiting to see what the new consoles will bring to the table in terms of technology before deciding to really push Half Life 3. You have to remember that both Half Life 1 and 2 relied heavily on the WOW factor to utterly rape the audience into submission like they did. Valve now have to do the same with Half Life 3, but they can't just sidestep consoles if they hope to top the sale charts. I expect Half Life 3 is well under way in development and you can expect news very soon now that the bone and ps4 are out.

At the end of the day, why should they rush it? They're swimming in money. They have several extremely popular franchises under their belt, not to mention Steam. They can take their time. I very much doubt Half Life 3 is in development hell -- on the contrary, it's in a cozy development heaven.
>>
>>249898050

what I'm really worried about is that half life 3 will suck. how exciting can a first person shooter really be anymore?
>>
why are you so angry about this
>>
>>249895576
not source,

source 2
>>
>>249899927
lel'd
>>
File: 1333594791554.jpg (328 KB, 894x510) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1333594791554.jpg
328 KB, 894x510
>>249895173
>a major plot point in episode 2 is just a joke

u wot m8
>>
>>249898050
>what the new consoles will bring to the table
Fucking nothing, as usual. Not to a PC dev, anyway.
>>
>>249895173
Congrats OP, you have been nominated for most autistic poster on /v/
>>
>>249895173
>However, GLaDOS and Wheatley and countless other over the top things in Portal simply cannot exist in Half Life canon.

Why not? They're just robots. Also keep in mind Portal 2 takes place hundreds, possibly thousands of years after the events of HL2.
>>
It looks like you're the only retarded here for taking this shit too seriously. Nobody really cares if they are set in the same universe or not, but references are something cool. Besides you know nothing about it, so you're even worse than the theoryfags. Go eat a dick.
>>
>>249898050
Valve wasn't waiting for new consoles to do anything with Half Life. They didn't wait for consoles for any of the other releases.
And like you said, Valve is swimming in money. And personally, I think they're done with game development. They might get into legitimate publishing (rather than just buying the game from another company) but I don't think they're going to make another game.
>>
>>249895173
>Half Life and Portal are NOT the same canon.
Which is exactly why you can hear Cave Johnson rage at Black Mesa for being ahead of them.
>>
>>249901417
>rather than just buying the game from another company

I don't get this meme.
>>
>>249895173
lol
>>
>>249895781
How is ignoring evidence "common sense"?
>>
File: 1402697670262.jpg (56 KB, 576x418) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1402697670262.jpg
56 KB, 576x418
>>249895173
Gee OP, I don't know how I would've gone on with my life without knowing if they shared canon. This changes everything!
>>
File: Borealis_drydock.jpg (458 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Borealis_drydock.jpg
458 KB, 1280x720
>>249895173
pic related its your argument falling the fuck apart
>>
>>249901847
CS was a mod that Valve bought from the developers to make a retail release for.
Same with Day of Defeat.
Same with Team Fortress
Left 4 Dead was being developed by Turtle Rock before Valve came along and bought them, and released the game under their name.
Portal is largely based on a game made by some development student in UCLA or something.
They haven't had one original idea since Half Life, and that I think was based largely on some other material anyway
>>
>>249902294

That doesn't count.

I'm still right.
>>
>>249895173
>caring about a dead series
>>
File: 1403472183253.jpg (30 KB, 336x497) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403472183253.jpg
30 KB, 336x497
>GLaDOS and Wheatley and countless other over the top things in Portal simply cannot exist in Half Life canon.

On what basis do you make this claim? Not fact, claim.
>>
>all evidence points to them being in the same universe
>but they're not BECAUSE I SAY SO
>>
>>249900283
Not even just EP2. Its been there forever. Read Raising the bar
>>
Please explain.
>>
>>249902772
Considering those mods were mods of a game that Valve originally made, and considering they actually hired the mods teams to make future games, that's not really the same as buying a company and slapping your name on a game.

L4D is the only legit example, and even then, the end game barely resembled the one Turtle Rock started out with. With Portal they hired those guys and had them make that game with the help of a few other people already at Valve.

>they haven't had one original idea since half life

Valve isn't one person, they're a fucking company, a group of people that operate collaboratively. When you hire people, they become part of that company. Just because Gaben didn't personally come up with every idea at the place doesn't mean it wasn't valve's idea, I mean the notion that something can even BE a game company's idea is pretty silly, it all starts with one person coming up with that shit, and everyone else agreeing to collaborate on it. That's how a company works. The only difference in this respect between valve and every other game company in the world is that Valve makes their hires much more public.

I can guarantee you Shiggy Miyamoto had the idea for mario bros before he worked at Nintendo, but we still call that franchise Nintendo's original work.
>>
>>249895781
>2 game series
>same company
>same world
>both games stated that the two companies are rivals
>hurr durr they arent related at all
go fuck yourself
>>
>>249901417
>They didn't wait for consoles for any of the other releases.

That's a shit thing to say consider that back in '04 when HL2 was released, PC was the go-to for FPS games. Now they have to consider consoles if they want to sell. This is what they are doing and you'd be an idiot to think otherwise.

They definitely will make Half Life 3, it would be idiotic not to.
>>
>OP is mad that silly things can exist in the same universe as his beloved mature game for mature gamers
>>
>>249902294

An easter egg is my argument falling apart?

Did you not read my post or something? Perhaps you simply lack reading comprehension faculties of a common 7 year old?
>>
Valve is working on the Source Engine 2, Half life 3, Counter Strike 2 and another new IP - 2015/2017
>>
>>249904554
Yeah, but Orange Box came out well after the generation shift, and FPS on consoles had already become huge before the new gen.
>>
>>249904717
>calling other people 7 year olds
>the guy who takes video game canon this fucking seriously
>>
>>249903665

On the basis that Half Life has clearly been a serious game with a bit of humor on the side while Portal is a completely batshit overt comedy.

Do you not see the completely apparent difference in tone between the two series?
>>
>>249904884
I guess comedians don't exist in the world of Half Life because they're too funny.

And I guess sci-fi thriller shows don't exist in the world of Portal either.
>>
>>249904205

>3) The two exist in the same world, but the Portal games themselves are an exaggeration and Aperture Science will be presented in a much more serious way in Half Life 3.

Sit down, you get an F.
>>
>>249904854
Half life 2 was on OG xbox. Half life 1 was on PS2 and would have been on dreamcast
>>
>>249904854

1) Orange Box is a compilation of their previous games. What's your point?

2) Orange Box was released for consoles.
>>
>>249904554
I think they'll get around to HL3 eventually, but it's pretty ridiculous that they've put it so far on the backburner that we've gotten a Portal sequel, new Counter-Strike, DotA 2, and TWO Left 4 Dead games in the seven-year span since Ep. 2's release. Really, it shouldn't take 7 years or more, if leaks are anything to go by to make a cool new Half-Life game.
>>
>>249904884
What happens at Aperture, stays at Aperture.
>>
>>249904884
because when you put people inside robots and wait a long time, there is no way they can try to make humor or fun
>>
>>249904884
What in Portal is so goddamn ridiculous that it can't exist in the Half Life universe, where facefucking aliens spontaneously appear from other dimensions and turn people into zombies that you attack with a weapon that uses antimatter manipulation to chuck toilets at things?
>>
>>249904876

See, the thing I'm saying is that Valve is taking the canon seriously. Because they always have, since Half Life is a serious game. I don't take any of this seriously because it's, as you say, just video games.

Now feel free to find one thing I said that suggests otherwise or fuck off. Actually, just fuck off anyway, you're an idiot.
>>
>>249905041

>pulling shit out of your ass
>pretend it's the truth

Just leave, you already failed this class.
>>
>>249905391
>I don't take any of this seriously because it's, as you say, just video games.

Hey man, you made the thread. Clearly you have some beef with this shit.
>>
>>249905032

And I guess GLaDOS exists in real life.

This is literally your line of reasoning.

>>249905221

Of course it shouldn't, but does it strike you as reasonable that a hugely successful game company doesn't finish their flagship title? If for no other reason, they'll do it for the love of it. It would be extremely unusual and extremely stupid of them to just drop Half Life.
>>
>>249895781
Common sense is code for intellectual lazies. Apply yourself shitstain.
>>
>>249905623
You're right, it's just as easy to imagine that a psychotic sentient robot exist in real life as it is to imagine that television shows exist in fictional universes which televisions exist in.
>>
>>249905073
>OG Xbox
5 years after it was released, the start of the year it was replaced. They weren't waiting for it to release their game.
>Half Life 1 on PS2
This was three years after it had been initially released.
>>249905210
Orange Box had 1 previous game, Half Life 2. Everything else was new for the compilation.
And it was released 2 years after consoles had come out.

So like I said. They haven't waited for consoles to come out before any of their previous releases. Why would they start now
>>
>>249895173
>Everything I say is true because "common sense"
HAHAHAHA provide a source next time faggot
>>
>>249905793
Half life 2 was on OG xbox a year after it was on PC and 4 years after the consoles launch
>>
>>249905278
This is not a matter of realism and/or plausibility, it's a matter of tone. Half Life is not a comedy, Portal is. To just slap Portal's complete ridiculousness into Half Life would be in extremely bad taste. Valve are not THAT lame.

>>249905325
Once again, I repeat -- there's nothing ridiculous about Half Life's premise. It's a serious sci-fi game with some humor on the side. There's a line between peanut butter blood and antimatter manipulation. It's completely obvious to everyone who's not autistic.
>>
The Aperture Science Laboratories computer aided enrichment center is a research facility built completely underground, that forms the setting of Portal and Portal 2. Aperture Science is a direct rival to Black Mesa and, as revealed by in-game information and a website for the fictional company, initially provided shower curtains for the US military. However, after receiving a US Government award for Best Shower Curtain Contractor, its founder Cave Johnson shifted the company's focus and embarked on several ill-conceived projects, interdimensional portal research among them.
>>
>>249905041
That's based completely on conjecture though. There is no evidence to back up your claim here, whereas he posted facts about both games.

>>249905623
>And I guess GLaDOS exists in real life.
It's possible. As is extra-dimensional aliens taking over Earth in a matter of seven hours I guess, even in the same universe. Both series have some ridiculous situations, even though they treat them in different ways.
>>
>>249905541
I only have a beef with people taking everything Valve says too seriously. Which I made pretty apparent in the first paragraph, didn't I?

>>249905495
Common sense.

>>249905661
Taking Valve's joke seriously is a code for intellectual absence. Apply yourself shitstain.

>>249905790
Comedians are funny, but plausible in a semi-realistic world Half Life takes place in. Characters like Wheatley, turret bot choirs and Cave Johnson are not.

>>249905806
As soon as the peer reviewed study is complete, I'll provide all the citations you need.
>>
>>249906069
A computer built to emulate the human mind that eventually goes insane is completely ridiculous and wacky to you? Do you watch 2001 A Space Odyssey and just crack up at Hal's snappy dialogue?
>>
>>249906069
It's unlikely that Glados or Wheatley will ever appear in Half Life, but they still both exist in the larger universe.
>>
>>249895173
Yeah because you know in the real world things like Pee Wee Hermans play house and SEAL Team 6 don't co-exist because of how different they are
>>
Fucking valve fans. Literally the most autistic fanbase.
>>
>>249906378
>That's based completely on conjecture though. There is no evidence to back up your claim here, whereas he posted facts about both games.

The problem here is that you're applying occam's razor incorrectly. Read number 3 in my OP. Just because Aperture Science exists in Half Life's world doesn't make everything that happened in Portal canon.

>It's possible. As is extra-dimensional aliens taking over Earth in a matter of seven hours I guess, even in the same universe. Both series have some ridiculous situations, even though they treat them in different ways.
>Both series have some ridiculous situations, even though they treat them in different ways.

This is key. To imply that Chell shot herself to a moon with a Portal gun and that this is part of Half Life's canon is absurd.
>>
>>249906682
Pee Wee Herman and SEAL Team 6 are fictional characters in our world though. Fuck off.
>>
>>249906502
>Comedians are funny, but plausible in a semi-realistic world Half Life takes place in. Characters like Wheatley, turret bot choirs and Cave Johnson are not.
So why try to bullshit your way through it by I GUESS GLADOS EXISTS IN REAL LIFE THEN?
>>
>>249906854
>To imply that Chell shot herself to a moon with a Portal gun and that this is part of Half Life's canon is absurd.

How exactly? It just can't happen because it's too cuhraaayzee for your tastes? Is some guy slipping on a banana peel just impossible in the half life universe because it's just not serious enough?
>>
>>249906682

Pee Wee Hermans are not mantis men with peanut blood.
>>
>>249906502
>Valve make it very clear that these things exist in the same universe
>"Shut up! It doesn't count! They were just joking! Nyeeh!"
>>
>>249907036

Because I'm trying to explain to you why GLaDOS -- that is, the way she's portrayed in Portal -- is not plausible in Half Life's canon. Is it clear now?
>>
this is the most autistic thread i've seen on /v/ in recent memory

the "what do yoshi's eggs smell like" thread was more autistic but i don't remember if that was this year
>>
>>249907270
But she is, because that's how it is, and your butthurt doesn't change that.
>>
>>249907270
Okay, that's fine, now, actually explain why it's not plausible rather than saying "b-but it's not as serious as half life".

Succinctly explain why a sadistic artificial intelligence built from the mind of a former Aperture employee is absolutely ridiculous in the world of Half Life.
>>
>>249907119
There were no mantis men in Portal 2, all of the "ridiculous" stuff that happened in the game were the ramblings or doings of a madman losing his sanity from what was effectively lead poisoning. All the crazy shit that happened in it wasn't just part of the universe portal existed in, it was the result of one guy with a lot of money and power going crazy and making a bunch of crazy shit that was isolated in an underground lab. You're telling me that a fucking crazy person is implausible in the half life universe?
>>
>>249907272
That thread was fucking like 2010, maybe 2011, why are people suddenly so obsessed with it
>>
>>249907106

It's plausible because slipping on a banana peel is really not that ridiculous. No more than launching a toilet into a guy at least.

Competent writers -- and Valve does have competent writers in their roster -- don't just mix and match everything for no reason. If they mix Aperture Science into Half Life canon for comedic effect, it will be subtle and there will definitely be no reference of any insane shit that took place in Portal. They won't outright state it never happened, but they'll leave it to your common sense to conclude it didn't.

>>249907149

Yes, that's exactly it. Putting le green memetic arrows around it doesn't make it untrue.
>>
I'm with you, OP. I refuse to believe that kittens and Al Qaeda can exist in the same universe.
>>
>>249907702
>slipping on a banana peel is really not that ridiculous

It's less ridiculous than fucking anything that happens in Portal.
>>
File: yes.jpg (22 KB, 512x384) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
yes.jpg
22 KB, 512x384
>>249907718
>>
>>249907485

But she's not. What you don't understand in your stubbornness is that references to Aperture in Half Life and Black Mesa in Portal doesn't imply a direct connection between the two worlds. It's called a joke.
>>
>>249907871
Now explain why it's a joke, rather than being canon.

Use facts to back up your argument.
>>
>>249907824
Whoops, I meant more ridiculous. It's more ridiculous than anything that happens in Portal.
>>
>>249907718
I agree, it isn't plausible for them to be in the same universe
>>
>>249906115
You mean intradimensional portal research. Mesa does interdimensional. Aperture does intradensional.
>>
>>249907871
>references are jokes
Sure, that happens. Usually in TV or anime or cross company.
But considering they're referencing another one of their works, and not calling it White Canyon, makes it a reference in world, not a joke.
>>
File: 1396238928431.jpg (14 KB, 168x251) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1396238928431.jpg
14 KB, 168x251
>>249906854
>This is key. To imply that Chell shot herself to a moon with a Portal gun and that this is part of Half Life's canon is absurd.

>What ever energy the portal gun fires to open portals travels at the speed of light, or at the very least, really goddamn fucking fast
>Moon rocks are superconductors for portals
>Moon is made of...moon rocks

Not seeing how this is implausible.
>>
File: full23[1].gif (52 KB, 319x217) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
full23[1].gif
52 KB, 319x217
>>249907639

Cave Johnson was poisoned by moon rocks some 30 years after the mantis men thing. While it's still plausible that he was batshit insane for other reasons, it's still implausible that slapstick comedy from Portal is a part of Half Life's canon, no matter how you explain it's existence in Portal's canon. The two games are incompatible tone-wise.

Next thing you people will be telling me is that Monkey Island and Grim Fandango are part of the same canon because of this scene.
>>
>>249908495
>Moon is made of...moon rocks
this thread has broken my brain
>>
>>249907871
A joke would be like someone mentioning a portal gun in half life, or making a quick note about an interdimensional new world order in portal. Putting the companies in major plot points of both games, and then repeatedly doing that while inserting this stuff into dialogue in both games, isn't a joke. I can't think of anyone insane enough to do that as a joke, that would be like Lucas coming out and saying Yoda wasn't actually part of the Star Wars canon because he was a reference to a japanese sensei or some shit.
>>
>>249907991

Oh boy, here we go again. It's like I'm really posting on 4chan.

Half Life is a serious sci fi series.

Portal is overt slapstick comedy.

Easter eggs are in-jokes are very much a thing in the video game industry. Subtly referencing Portal without openly accepting everything that happened in it as Half Life canon is exactly something Valve would do.
>>
>>249908545
You're comparing a simple visual gag to repeated, consistent dialogue and writing in both games. Fuck off with your tone shit, that has to be the flimsiest argument I've ever seen for whether something is canon or not.
>>
Have you asked Valve what their stance is?
>>
>>249904205

winner
>>
>>249908495

In Half Life 3, Gordon uses a Portal gun to shoot himself to the moon to retrieve Wheatley because he's the key to defeating gman.

How plausible is this to you?
>>
>>249908805
You're still using conjecture rather than facts, try again.

All we've established with that post is that you're aware of the general tone of the two series.

Try again.
>>
>>249908680
>>249908895

>3) The two exist in the same world, but the Portal games themselves are an exaggeration and Aperture Science will be presented in a much more serious way in Half Life 3.

Once again, we're taking tone here. Before we continue, please tell me if you actually know what "tone" implies in this conversation.
>>
People who are claiming the plots aren't concurrent or near:

If you'd both playing the Portal 2 multiplayer, you would be aware that the entire multiplayer campaign consists of giving GLaDOS the nuclear launch codes and activating the Aperture missile defense systems, followed by waking up all of the people put in suspended animation during the 7 day war.
>>
>>249908978
Not plausible because the wheately thing happened hundreds of years after HL2, but thanks for trying.
>>
File: xen.jpg (164 KB, 894x894) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
xen.jpg
164 KB, 894x894
>You will never experience Xen again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4AkVBwhKds
>>
>>249909128
You're referring to your own "common sense" as a source again.
>>
>>249909048

Fact: Valve are not utter and complete idiots to set these two scenes in the same canon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeKSAJ9zucU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C70e4QSRUs
>>
File: 1395460808534.gif (631 KB, 489x532) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1395460808534.gif
631 KB, 489x532
>>249908978
>Action makes perfect sense in context
>W-well this completely absurd one that makes no sense at all disproves that!

This isn't how arguing works.
You're wrong. You have nothing to back up your opinions other than throwing a fit and crying. Go to bed, it's late.
>>
>>249909420

It's common sense for anyone who's not extremely dense. People who aren't dense don't need everything spelled out for them with multiple source citations. Are you dense?
>>
>>249909128
>tone tone tone tone tone tone

The fuck is it with you and tone? Might as well say each level in half life 2 exists in a different universe because they take place in different locations. It's meaningless, stop trying to cling to tone as if it has weight to anything.
>>
>>249909434
Now we've established that two different games made by the same company have different ending tones.

Keep going.
>>
>>249908978
not plausible since portal 2 was WAY after half life and wheatley ended up on skyrim, where the dovahkiin turned him into a helmet
>inb4 the elder scrolls cant be part of portal canon because of magic
>>
>>249909434
Fun facts:
GLaDOS is eccentric
GLaDOS can make her turrets do whatever the hell she wants in her facility
>>
>>249908978
nice strawman.

Wheatly is just an AI.

What Aperture's involvement in Half Life 3 will be is related to whetever was on board the Borealis, which is likely some kind of teleportation technology.

Also,

> Gordon uses a Portal gun to shoot himself to the moon

Looks like you never played Half Life then? He used a teleporter to go to Xen. using a Portal Gun to go to the moon is stupid because as a scientist he fucking knows better, but Chell doing it is no less improbable than gordon going to an alien planet at all.
>>
>>249909573
>no facts
>no sources
>no rationality

You're the only dense one here m8, you have the burden of proof on you and you're just telling everyone who challenges you to fuck right off and listen to your "common sense".
>>
My headcanon is actual canon, and you can't prove it isn't: the thread
>>
>>249909180

But it's plausible. Gordon can travel through time, just like gman can.

What now?

>>249909527

Using the line of reasoning that Portal and Half Life are set in the (literally) same canon, HOW IN THE WORLD OF FUCK are you implying that what I just wrote is implausible? Are you even listening to yourself?
>>
File: YvKUP.png (118 KB, 484x232) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
YvKUP.png
118 KB, 484x232
>>249909603
>Might as well say each level in half life 2 exists in a different universe because they take place in different locations.

Is...is this nigger serious?
Holy shit you are so goddamned retarded.
>>
The events of Portal 1 and 2 are canon but none of the wacky aspects are going to be mentioned in Half-Life. How hard is this to understand?
>>
>one game made by developer has an easter egg/subtle nod at another game made by developer
>fanwank that they're in the same universe begins

It gets me mad every time.
>>
>>249909723
I'm hoping all the awakened people and GLaDOS's aperture ballistic missile systems somehow come into play.
>>
>>249909603

The fuck with me and tone is the same fuck that goes through the head of anyone who ever wrote anything. If writers didn't care for tone, GRRM would make Jon turn into Godzilla with bunny ears in Winds of Winter.

You clearly lack basic understanding of some very simple things.
>>
>>249909884
It makes me samefag all the time too OP.
>>
>>249909624

We've also established that they can't exist in the same canon if Valve have their head screwed on remotely tightly. So far, they very much do.
>>
>>249909852
It's not but saying that it never happened is just absurd
>>
File: hnnn.png (227 KB, 800x600) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hnnn.png
227 KB, 800x600
>>249895173
>HURR THEY AREN'T IN THE SAME CANON BECAUSE PORTAL ISN'T COOOOOL ENOUGHHHHHHH

How fucking old are you?
>>
>>249895173
There is no half life 3.
>>
>>249909723

Are you incapable of understanding that the real reason Chell teleported herself to the moon is because Portal is a comedy game and not because Chell apparently lacks the common knowledge that she can't survive on the Moon?

Please give a yes or no answer, I want to laugh.
>>
>>249909963
>If writers didn't care for tone, GRRM would make Jon turn into Godzilla with bunny ears in Winds of Winter.

That's not a violation of tone, that's a violation of physical logic within whatever universe you're talking about. Nothing in Portal nor Portal 2 violates the already retarded physical rules set out by HL2, thus it's plausible at the very least, regardless of tone. You are shit at analogies mate.
>>
>>249909963
You know you can something taking place in the same universe doesn't mean it will absolutely become a central plot point, right?

Godzilla fought a giant robot version of himself made by aliens who look like green monkeys from "Black Hole Planet 3". 20+ years later they make a movie that counts that as canon. But, they don't reference it because of the difference in dramatic tone.

Is that hard to figure out?
>>
>>249909852

Thank you.

Signed OP.
>>
>>249910151
>I'm right, you're wrong!
>LA LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU
It's like arguing with a five year old.
>>
>>249910171
That's what I meant, OP is retarded.
>>
Gonna laugh so fuckin' hard when Half-Life 3 releases in 2050 and there's numerous references to Portal 1, 2, Prequel, 4, 5 and 6. Then you'll all be eating crow in your graves.
>>
>>249910456
Fuck off, OP. That's not what you were arguing at all.
>>
>>249910321
Chell didn't care if she couldn't survive on the moon, she used the logic that the moon is the original portalable surface, is squarely in view at the moment, and would destroy wheatly. You're acting as if she teleported to the moon and had a beach party on it.
>>
>>249910151
>We've also established that they can't exist in the same canon
No we haven't, you've only said they haven't because of conjecture and the difference in atmosphere and tone of the two games.

You're STILL not using facts.

Please directly address these facts with facts that you have which nullify the existence of the following;

Aperture Laboratories are mentioned directly in Half Life 2.
Black Mesa is explicitly mentioned in Portal and Portal 2.
The Borealis is shown in both Half Life 2 and Portal 2.
>>
if you valve drones follow purely steam, this is what its like to have an acfag. a faggot who either legitimately has autism or just pretends very well and NEVER shuts up. he will go in circles and avoid your argument, however correct it is, to spout his own bullshit. OP, good job, you will now be emulated by copycats and valve drones will have to deal with both their and your bullshit in hf and portal threads
enjoy not having any more half life or portal threads faggots
>>
>>249910456

But he thinks you are a massive retard

Because you are
>>
>>249910414

It actually very much is a violation of tone. Quite obviously. You're stating otherwise which makes me think you have some sort of brain damage, but nothing surprises me at this point.

Also, since you mentioned it -- as a matter of fact, GRRM never outright states how magic works and it's very much physically possible that Jon turns into anything his wacky mind can think of.
>>
>>249910456
What? I'm saying they did occur in the same universe as is. They just won't be mentioned.
>>
>>249909434
Except Portal 2's Turret opera makes fucking sense if you actually pay attention to what they are singing, given the kinds of hints the whole game throws at you about Glados and Chell's connection. It's not just

LEL SO RANDUMB TURRETS XD

Glados loves Chell like a mother due to having rediscovered Caroline in her memory. Who mind you, she did not actually delete. (She IS Caroline.) She decided to let chell go, and is literally telling her to stay far far away from science. Also,Chell was just not needed anymore since she managed to replace Human subjects with robots.

Suddenly that silly opera is a lot deeper and "meaningful" than you thought it was, isn't it faggot?
>>
>>249910685
it's fun to argue sometimes, even with a troll
>>
>>249910456
They are still part of the same canon you double faggot.
>>
>>249910684
/topic
>>
File: 1377996130816.jpg (158 KB, 700x729) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1377996130816.jpg
158 KB, 700x729
>>249895173
>simply cannot exist
you can pinpoint the exact moment in which the OP outed himself as an autist
>>
>>249895781

Look at this

This is why valvedrones are hated, this shit right here.
>>
>>249910745
And G-Man never says that a woman can't jump to the moon in a few seconds.
>>
>>249910745
>as a matter of fact, GRRM never outright states how magic works and it's very much physically possible that Jon turns into anything his wacky mind can think of.

Oh, so basically that thing you just said is perfectly plausible and if it actually happened you'd just pretend it didn't because it's just too silly for your sensibilities?
>>
>>249908805

>this entire fucking post

Oh ok I guess because there were those memory card easter eggs in SH3 means SH2 never happened and they're in different universes?

Fuck off back to neogaff already faggot you've already clearly proven thats where you came from.
>>
>>249910587

I'll be laughing harder than you and enjoying Valve's descent into complete dementia. It would probably actually be more interesting than what Half Life 3 will actually turn out to be.

It won't happen though.

>>249910681

Sounds like something Gordon would do in her place, don't you think?

What now?

>>249910684

And in the world of immersive entertainment, tone is everything. That's literally the only fact you actually need to work this out, but you're ignoring it.

>>249910627

If Valve never mention any of the ridiculousness of Portal games, it might as well not exist within the canon. I actually said this earlier, if you'd pay attention, so fuck you too, I guess. Of course Valve will leave it to fans to conclude whether it's literally the same canon or not because it's funnier that way.
>>
>>249911406
>And in the world of immersive entertainment, tone is everything. That's literally the only fact you actually need to work this out, but you're ignoring it.

No, the only facts I need are actual facts, not conjecture.
>>
>>249910828

Jesus fucking christ, nobody asked you for a canon explanation for the turret opera. Just to acknowledge how ridiculous it is and how it would never happen in a Half Life game.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Acpj_1wb-i4

It's sort of hard to tell just from this video, but if you play the actual level in portal 2, you can read the posters on the walls and the signs above the desks about the aperture long range missile system, after you give glados the launch codes a big map of the world pops up and target marks appear all over it, then it shows markers for air vehicles flying in formation towards the aperture facility, no idea how they are going to link that into the story, but I hope they do.
>>
>>249911535
You've been talking about "tone" all thread, and suddenly it doesn't matter?
>>
This has got to be the most retarded thread I've seen in quite some time, congratulations OP. You should seek professional help though, pretty sure being this retarded isn't healthy.
>>
>>249911535
It wouldn't happen in a half-life game but it happened in the half-life universe, which is also the portal universe.
>>
>>249911151

No you idiot -- if it happened, every single fan of SOIAF would drop the book in a matter of seconds or only continue reading for morbid curiosity.

Kind of like what would happen if you fought mantis men in Half Life 3.

I want to tell you to start addressing my actual argument but it's fun to see you running in circles.
>>
>ep 2 specifically mentions Aperture Science, not as an easter egg, but as a fucking plot point
yeah, nah
>>
>>249903919
I highly doubt Aperture was envisioned the way it is now when HL2 was in development
>>
File: 1342861514060.png (46 KB, 139x153) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1342861514060.png
46 KB, 139x153
>>249911406
>Sounds like something Gordon would do in her place, don't you think?
Yes? Is there something I'm missing here?

>What now?
Holy shit, I can only imagine this guy's smug face after he thinks he slam dunked me with his ironclad argument.
>>
>>249911406
>it might as well not exist within the canon
Sure. But it does.
>>
>>249907021

>SEAL Team 6 is fictional

I know you're just misinformed but this still made me laugh quite a bit
>>
>>249911636
There are signs near the CD reader that say "DO NOT GIVE THE AI THE LAUNCH CODES" and yet the mission objective is to do it, that's pretty funny.
>>
>>249911310

SH2 and 3 can exist in the same universe because they're very similar tone-wise.

You do agree that UFO endings are not canon though, don't you?
>>
>>249911719
Apparently rejecting your argument using facts (but they aren't facts somehow) isn't addressing your argument.
>>
>>249908545
>Cave Johnson was poisoned by moon rocks some 30 years after the mantis men thing.
Portal 1 and Half-Life 2 take place relatively concurrently. Cave Johnson dies, at best, circa mid-90s.
>>
>>249911773
Okay, but the thing is, they already pretty thoroughly integrated the stories of both games with each other, so you're a bit late on thinking it can't happen, because guess what it fucking did.
>>
>>249895173
>black mesa references in portal
>aperture science reference in HL2
>not canon
i dont think so tim
>>
>>249911950
They "magically" aren't facts because all you're saying is BUT THE TONE OF THE TWO GAMES IS DIFFERENT, which may be a fact, but it doesn't prove anything other than that tone is different.
>>
>>249911950
A few minutes ago you were saying you didn't need facts and that everything you were saying was just common sense. Now you're claiming your common sense ramblings to be facts? That's some flakey shit right there.
>>
1 and 2 are exactly the same.
There's no evidence that it is a joke.
>>
File: 1391412677754.jpg (75 KB, 700x700) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1391412677754.jpg
75 KB, 700x700
why can't glados exist? hl2 has sentient robots, look at DOG. and who knows what apertures capabilities really are. a portal gun is just as feasible as an overcharge mega-gravity gun that picks up pretty much anything. everything in done in portal makes sense and can be done in the half life canon. there are sentient robots, futuristic technology and a bunch of crazy people who worked there.
tell me something that's just simply impossible to do in half life that portal does. you can't say "it's too over the top" because in HL2 theres a huge difference between ravenholm and city 17, but they exist in the same universe. just like the real world, the half life universe is expansive with all kinds of different places in it.
>>
>>249909128
Half-Life 2 Episode 2 lets you carry a fucking lawn gnome through the entire game and put him in a rocket ship

I'm pretty sure its tone isn't what you think
>>
>>249912215
>>249912117
Oh woah, I thought that I was replying to the OP. Sorry for the trouble.
>>
>>249910151
Why?

You realize that despite Portal being full of crazy shit, it actually takes itself pretty seriously, right? It isn't just making jokes to make you laugh. Cave Johnson's mad venture into science, with his lucky invention of a Quantum tunneling device are played straight despite being so incredibly crazy and improbable.because it's fiction. Science fiction. I know that might shock you, but both Portal and HL are.

Aperture and Black mesa are supposed to be polar opposites.

Black Mesa was always the 'favorite son" of the two, since they were a legitimate science facility that made real experiments for the US govt. and had an impossibly massive sprawling complex out in the desert.

Aperture was a bullshit science company created by a guy who got rich off shower curtain contracts with the US military, and bought a Salt mine to build a facility in, and through sheer blind luck and the fact that he was able to afford the greatest minds of his day to do it, actually managed to build a massive sprawling underground testing facility in layers, and actually build a revolutionary quantum tunneling device- in the 1950's.

Black Mesa however, despite being proper and by the book, ended up causing a catastrophic world ending event that changed the world as we know it as it was beseiged by an alien invasion, while Aperture, ever the number 2, not only managed to perfect it's portal device, but managed to create an Artificial Intelligence, AND managed to actually survive the invasion completely untouched.

consider the fact that everyone fucking wants that goddamned tanker. why? because EVERYONE, even the combine, want what's in it, which is likely teleportation technology, portal technology, which would be the winning edge for whichever side gets it, since they sure as hell ain't getting into Aperture.
>>
>>249911498

Well, maybe you should get into rocket science or something, you're too good for 4chan discussions.

>>249911648

No, you just don't know what tone is and you're talking about something completely different. Try paying attention.

>>249911845
>Yes? Is there something I'm missing here?

The part where you outright state that Gordon would never do it. Here, let me quote it for you:

"Looks like you never played Half Life then? He used a teleporter to go to Xen. using a Portal Gun to go to the moon is stupid because as a scientist he fucking knows better, but Chell doing it is no less improbable than gordon going to an alien planet at all."

You could be a different guy, but if you're gonna chip in, pay attention to the discussion.

>Holy shit, I can only imagine this guy's smug face after he thinks he slam dunked me with his ironclad argument.

Dude, I got the shittiest shit eating grin right now. I'm soaking this all in. How old are you all?
>>
>>249912046
Don't even bother, OP can't distinguish between a reference and genuine story element, he thinks that shit is all just cheeky elbow nudging to either game.
>>
>Scenes with DOG are funny and lighthearted
>Ravenholm is dark and creepy
>yfw they don't exist in the same canon

It makes sense if you think about it
>>
>>249895173
>saying Episode 3 will not be Half Life 3 despite common sense saying otherwise
Fuck your common sense, I still think it will be Episode 3.
>>
this fucking thread reminds me of the "me and my sister had to take an underwater weighing test" thread.

OP is saying the same shit and when asked to elaborate he says THE SAME SHIT but slightly different.
>>
File: vay.jpg (133 KB, 992x951) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vay.jpg
133 KB, 992x951
>see this thread some minutes ago
>"what a shit bait"
>see it again

/v/ is fucking shit.
>>
>caring about conan

it's all fiction, who the fuck cares, none of it is conan
>>
>>249909334

Xen in Black Mesa source fucking when?
>>
>>249911868

Citation needed. See, Valve never outright states "Yeah, Cave Johnson and gman are pals, you get to see mantis men in Half Life 3"

>>249912004

They integrated parts of the stories -- which I'm clearly aware of, if you'd read the OP. They're not integrating every single plot point of Portal, sorry.
>>
>>249912380
So, now other people's statements are fact, but not the game itself?
>>
>>249912380
Wait a minute, what the fuck point are you even arguing from anymore? Not the same guy who said that thing about gordon, but are you agreeing with it or disputing it?
>>
episode 3 and half-life 3 will be different games
>>
>>249912380
You're right, I should have known better than expecting some delusional autist to respond to facts with a reasonable counter-claim.

I'll stop replying to you now.
>>
>>249911931
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw
This is the only ending that makes sense. In any game.

Half-Life 3 will end exactly like this.
>>
>>249895173
So...You have no fucking source or proof. Despite you saying "it's a joke, shut up"

Fucking brilliant argument asshat.
>>
>>249912527
Take a look at any general thread since December 2011.

/v/ has been shit for a long time.
>>
>>249912591
>They're not integrating every single plot point of Portal, sorry.

Well no shit, that doesn't mean they don't exist in the same universe.
>>
>>249910418
>Godzilla fought a giant robot version of himself made by aliens who look like green monkeys from "Black Hole Planet 3". 20+ years later they make a movie that counts that as canon. But, they don't reference it because of the difference in dramatic tone.
Actually, no they didn't, Terror of Mechagodzilla is the end of the Showa series. Then there was the Heisei series, which was only a sequel to the 1957 Godzilla, and each movie was a sequel to the last until Godzilla vs Destroyah. Then the Millenium series treated EACH movie as a stand-alone sequel to the original 1957 Godzilla.

So no, it doesn't
>>
>>249912575
Never ;_;
>>
>>249912356

No, I'm extremely angry right now. Apology doesn't cut it.

>>249912227

I know about Dog, I mentioned him in the original post.

You're right, Ravenholm and Dog are pushing it tone-wise, but it's pretty implausible to suggest that Half Life will go full comedy just because they're appropriating some Portal plot points. Portal is to Half Life what the Lone Gunmen are to X Files -- connected, but clearly not exactly in the same universe to the point where X Files would reference every wacky thing they did.
>>
>>249911648
>>249911535
REKT
>>
>>249912373
>Aperture Science/Glados' defenses managed to hold off the combine longer then any nation could
>>
>it has a different tone therefore it cant be in the same universe
what in the fuck am i reading?
>>
>>249912297

It's called an easter egg sweetie. Look for that COMI/Grim Fandango post I mentioned, that's the line of reasoning you're using right now.

>>249912778

For all intents and purposes, they don't. There's a reason they'll never reference anything beyond subtle nods.
>>
>>249912575
Xen: Source will release after Half-Life 3.
>>
>>249912909
Shit man, no one said Half Life 3 had to go full comedy to include aperture. You can include aperture technology without forcing wheately to attach himself to Dog and start doing the charleston.
>>
>>249895173

>Half Life is hardly a 100% serious franchise what with characters like Dog and whatnot. However, GLaDOS and Wheatley and countless other over the top things in Portal simply cannot exist in Half Life canon.


Aperture science mentions black mesa a few times in portal 2. and your picture shows HL series mentioning aperture science... The two are obviously in the same universe.

Personally, i dont see a problem with it. You just need to check your autism levels OP. Gordon has used laser weapons, the gluon gun, he used a portal to single handedly invaded an alien realm/planet and kill it's leader.

The portal gun is kinda lame in terms of being far fetched.

tldr; check your autism. Aperture is canon and the portal gun would fit nicely in to Gordons arsenal.
>>
>>249895173
is this some kind of advanced autism?
>>
>>249913007
GLaDOS locked down the facility and killed everyone inside so they couldnt escape and tell the combine the location of Aperture
>>
>>249912960

No, not at all. You're using the word incorrectly.

>>249913132

Yeah, that's kind of my entire point.
>>
>>249913132
I kind of want to see that happen, though.
>>
>>249913360
It's too good not to happen.
>>
In Pokemon BW we hear about the death of a pokemon. I think that's a massive change in tone, considering that no pokemon ever died on screen, so it can't possibly be in the same universe. It doesn't matter if there are trainers that come from other regions, or if the Sinnoh champion is right in front of me, I reject that entire notion because pokemons don't die. They would NEVER kill a pokemon, that's totally not pokemon-like.
>>
This is the stupidest thread i've seen on /v/ on the last 7 years.
>>
>>249913271
So you agree that Half Life 3 could have usable aperture technology somewhere in the main plot?
>>
I like how OP is repeatedly referring to Portal as "slapstick comedy" and "ridiculous" when there are a handful of goofy moments in the series which are mostly contained to dialogue.

The first Portal game is played entirely straight up until the very end, in fact.
>>
>>249912789
If we're gonna argue canon bullshit (because this thread barely has a topic as it is), Final Wars has the events of each movie happen along the timeline (yes, even the ones that happen in 199X), just without Godzilla because he was encased in ice at the end of Godzilla Raids Again. They fought all of these things off somehow (never explained, but that's in the opening narration of the movie), and then Final Wars happens.

Also, the original was made in 1954.
>>
File: 1390580496429.png (72 KB, 213x252) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1390580496429.png
72 KB, 213x252
Wait so OP, where does Left 4 dead fit into all this?
>>
>However, GLaDOS and Wheatley and countless other over the top things in Portal simply cannot exist in Half Life canon.

b-but WHY?
>>
>>249913458

Yeah. Refer to the OP. This is like the fourth time I'm reminding people of this:

>3) The two exist in the same world, but the Portal games themselves are an exaggeration and Aperture Science will be presented in a much more serious way in Half Life 3.
>>
>>249912591
>Citation needed
y-you too.
>>
>>249913587
the characters reference other valve franchises, so i guess it fits into it's own little fuckfest
>>
File: Council-of-Nicea.jpg (406 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Council-of-Nicea.jpg
406 KB, 1600x1067
>conan

stop misusing this word, only the Good Book is conan
>>
>>249913456
http://youtu.be/kLFW2t3JDzY
>>
>>249913587
Since L4D takes place in modern day and HL1 turned the world into a shithole somewhere in the 1990's, I think it's safe to say that it's unrelated. Also, we don't need OP to bring in even more bullshit.
>>
>>249913587

It's more similar to HL's tone so it is canon with HL but not Portal
>>
>>249913587
Left 4 Dead are zombie movies in the Valve-game universe.
>>
>>249913778
No no I reject that, I'll reject it forever and you can 't stop me
>>
>>249913642
So do they exist in the same universe or are the references a joke? Because you can't do both. You're basically contradicting your own point right from the get go.
>>
File: 1394105146408.gif (978 KB, 350x197) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1394105146408.gif
978 KB, 350x197
>>249913689

Ah so it's in the Half Life and portal canon as well then.
>>
>>249913614
something something TONE something something COMMON SENSE
>>
>>249913587
L4D is a movie series in the HL universe, in turn, tf2 and CS are games within the L4D universe
>>
>>249913980
fuck i said it wrong
they refrence the franchises as what they are in real life: games. louis talks about how he feels like gordon freeman, and ellis says some shit about TF2
>>
>HL3 comes out
>Glados directly mentioned
>Talk to Glados at some point
>OP goes on a shooting spree at his high school
>>
>>249913259
>YFW GLaDOS, ever the villain of Portal 1, was actually the good guy in the larger scope of things in preventing the combine extermination of humans

She also has all those scientists in suspended animation still.
>>
>>249895173
Portal happens 99999error days after portal one anon
Its probable that portal one happned at the same time as hl1
>>
This thread is too stupid to actually exist in this world, it's gotta be part of an alternate universe.
>>
>>249914390
Yep. Common sense'll tell you that the tone's all wrong.
>>
>>249909963

>Refrencing Game of Thrones on a video game board and assuming other people will know what you are talking about
>any year in any dimension whatsoever

Holy cow I am a loser but you are making me feel a whole lot better about myself
>>
>>249913973

But I'm not. All it takes is reading the OP properly.

I offer three plausible options.

1) Joke.
2) Joke for the intents of riling fans up to talk bullshit and generate hype.
3) Merging of canons but under the terms of Half Life rather than Portal.

The reason I don't outright decide on one of the three is because I'm not a Valve employee, so I can't know. But using common sense, I know Half Life won't adopt Portal's comedy tone because I have enough common sense to conclude that Valve respect their own franchise enough not to do this. At the very least, they respect their audience enough not to turn Half Life 3 into a comedy because the audience doesn't want that.

... Well, I actually kind of do, but only because I stopped caring for Half Life because of all the delays.
>>
>>249914390
we should take all their money while we still can
>>
>>249913456
Pokemon is like GTA, every generation there's a new canon that is a separate universe than the previous one (RGB = GTA 1 & 2, GSC = GTA III, VC, SA, RSE = GTA IV & V, etc.)
>>
>>249914237

I laughed harder at that than I probably should have.
>>
>>249895173
what the fuck is wrong with you op?
why are you so passionate for such a stupid topic?
>you're embarrassing yourselves

man what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>249914508
it just ain't plausible
>>
File: muh tone.png (81 KB, 613x755) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
muh tone.png
81 KB, 613x755
>>249913614
This is why.
>>
>>249914668
Look at the OP, that's literally all you need to know.
>>
>>249913953
This also goes for everyone in this thread
>>
>>249914818
I know I was making fun of OP
>>
>>249914598
>Merging of canons but under the terms of Half Life rather than Portal.
This one's weird because you're saying that Half Life is going to be more like Half Life than Portal.

It's like saying that water tends towards being water-flavored instead of being piss-flavored.
>>
>>249914598
But you kind of defeat those options by outright saying they are NOT the same canon no matter what. You're still contradicting yourself here by proposing an option that goes completely against your overall statement.
>>
>>249914787
neat
>>
>>249915003
So was he, keep up champ.
>>
>>249914640
So where do FireRed/LeafGreen fit?
>>
>>249914664

I am referencing an ongoing discussion that's been crawling around on /v/ for years. /v/ was extremely adamant that episode 3 would come out just because Gabe said so at one point. Anyone with common sense knew that source was already too old to make another Half Life installment on it and that the huge break after episode 2 clearly implies that Half Life 3 is the next step.

If Episode 3 comes out, it will be under the new engine and closely followed by Half Life 3 a few months later.
>>
>>249915003
No, I mean the Original Post is literally the only thing I will accept as fact, so quit embarrassing yourself.
>>
>>249915163
FireRed is clearly within the Half Life universe, while LeafGreen is in the Portal universe.

Source: COMMON SENSE
>>
File: What is life....jpg (31 KB, 440x138) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
What is life....jpg
31 KB, 440x138
>>249915094
>>249915171
I'm too tired for this shit
>>
>>249915037

What if what we taste in water is actually the flavor of piss but we call is water-flavored.
>>
>>249914598
You think Aperture Science is some silly shit because the game has some humor in it, but you refuse to acknowledge the silly shit in HL for some fucking reason, maybe you should make better use of your common sense and stop twisting shit in your head to fit your argument.

>Valve respect their own franchise enough not to do this
You are fucking retarded. Do you think Aperture Science's employees are all Wheatley clones, cracking jokes day in day out to their hilariously psychopathic bosses?

And you keep saying we should read OP better, but the first words you posted were
>Half Life and Portal are NOT the same canon.
So what the fuck else do you want people to read?
>>
>>249914598
>I know Half Life won't adopt Portal's comedy tone because I have enough common sense to conclude that Valve respect their own franchise enough not to do this.

You don't think that as soon as Glados shows up they're gonna have her spouting crap about cake? They'll fucking do it, you know they will.
>>
>>249915037

Yet there's an entire thread filled with people who claim mantis men are Half Life canon.
>>
>>249915163
Those are with RSE, I'm pretty sure.
I think the general guideline is the games share a timeline with whichever other games they share a system with, until DS makes it a clusterfuck
>>
>>249895173

I know the word 'autistic' gets thrown around a lot on here, but holy shit OP.
>>
>>249915286
dont drink the water, they put something in it to make you forget!
>>
>>249915286
Piss can't exist in this universe.
>>
Portal 1 was hardly exaggerated. It was actually pretty creepy at parts. Aperture was hardly an exaggerated place in 1. it looked very much like some kind of science facility, and fit pretty well in the HL universe.

portal 2 definitely upgrades Aperture something fierce, but nothing too beyond what we already saw in 1. Which wasn't much, whereas in 2 we see a lot of Aperture's inner workings. I just really dont get where you are getting this tone nonsense from. Just from a Turret Opera? From Wheatley? because Chell in desperation, shoots a portal at the moon?

Where is this dissonance between the two coming from for you op? Improbability? is it any more probable for a physics scientist to single handedly wipe out entire hordes of aliens AND trained US soldiers? that's somehow more believable?

Also, just for the record, the Borealis was always a reference to the Philadelphia Experiment. Something which fits really well within the HL2/Portal universe. Especially given Aperture's experiments with portal technology.
>>
>>249915456
Piss is only in the TF2 universe inside the L4D one.
>>
>>249915518
He's probably in denial because he can't comprehend the concept of a joke being relevant to the story.
>>
>>249895173
Hey OP I have a question.

What's your favorite game series?
>>
>>249909935
> all the awakened people

Didn't she kill them all in 3 days or something ?
>>
>>249915724
Nintendo
>>
>>249915319
>You think Aperture Science is some silly shit because the game has some humor in it, but you refuse to acknowledge the silly shit in HL for some fucking reason, maybe you should make better use of your common sense and stop twisting shit in your head to fit your argument.

I acknowledged it right in the OP. It's right there. I mean, I could point it out to you, but you're not that stupid, are you?

... Yeah, you are:

>Half Life is hardly a 100% serious franchise what with characters like Dog and whatnot. However, GLaDOS and Wheatley and countless other over the top things in Portal simply cannot exist in Half Life canon.

>You are fucking retarded. Do you think Aperture Science's employees are all Wheatley clones, cracking jokes day in day out to their hilariously psychopathic bosses?

It's implied, yes. Catherine is quite the retard and they do consent to being injected with peanut butter.

>So what the fuck else do you want people to read?

To acknowledge that Portal is a parody game and that things that happen in it that are related to Half Life are exaggerated in Portal installments and will be portrayed completely differently in Half Life.
>>
>half life 2 and portal are NOT the same canon
>but lol actually they might be
>wow why are you guys yelling at me instead of reason by completely sensical post?

There's just something about making a new thread that turns normal people into retards, even for a few fleeting moments.
>>
>>249915579

But the L4D universe exists within the HL2/Portal 2.

And piss is serious so how can portal 2 and half life 2 exist in the same universe with different tones?
>>
>>249915850
but lots of different nintendo games have different tones, so they cant be nintendo games!
>>
>>249915924
Because HL2 only exists within within Ricochet's canon.

Search your feelings, you know it to be common sense.
>>
>>249915883
>dancing around the fact that you fucked up with your OP, contradicted your own argument and called everyone a retard for simply reading what you wrote

Why can't you just own up to making a mistake motherfucker? I'm willing to put this shit to rest if you are.
>>
>>249915924
Did you even THINK as to how that would even be plausible?
Portal 2 is too serious for it's own universe, let alone the tone for every OTHER spinoff created after that game.
>>
Well here we are again
It's always such a pleasure
Remember when you tried
to bait me twice?

Oh how we laughed and laughed
Except I wasn't laughing
Under the circumstances
I've been shockingly nice

You want your shitpost?
Take it
That's what I'm counting on
I wanted to try discussing
but
Now I only want you gone
>>
>>249895173

OP you do realize Portal 2 takes place in an alternative universe than Portal 1/Half-Life, right?
>>
>>249915724

Nintendo.

>>249915518

Read a bit more carefully. Especially the third point in my post.
>>
Why the fuck is this guy arguing that Portal is ridiculous ? Everyone in the game is fucking insane, and not in the lolsowacky way. They're all murderous psychopaths. Just twist the tone a little and Aperture is the most fucked up place on earth after Nova Prospekt and Ravenholm.
>>
>>249916140

Because there's no fucking mistake, "motherfucker". 4chan is simply too dense to understand that Portal is a parody and not part of Half Life's canon, simply because elements of both are in both series. In fact, if I didn't know this, I'd never post this on 4chan because this is the only place where people are dense enough for this bullshit.

I mean, you can ignore my OP and pick it apart as you see fit and I encourage you to because it makes me feel better about my position in the gene pool
>>
>>249916451
>WHY IS EVERYONE BUT ME RETARDED?
>>
>>249916169

Plausible, given that Portal 1 is more serious than Portal 2, but I think it's silly enough to conclude that Portal 1/2 are the alternate universe, not Half Life.
>>
>>249916278
>fucked up place on earth
>earth

/ ! \ TONE ALERT / ! \
>>
>>249916451
But how can 4chan exist in Portal's universe if Reddit exists in the TF2 canon?
>>
File: 1327837641239.jpg (11 KB, 230x228) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1327837641239.jpg
11 KB, 230x228
>>249916451

Just because you have an extra chromosome doesn't mean your in a 'better position in the gene pool"
>>
>>249916643

Citation needed.
>>
>>249916451
> Guardians of the Galaxy is a goofy movie that will make references to other Marvel movies
> b-but those movies have other tones! They can't possibly be part of the same universe!
>>
>>249916451
>"Motherfucker"
I sense a change of tone in your post, so according to common sense this post should be removed. It does not belong in this website.
>>
File: 1356473845093.png (12 KB, 614x604) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1356473845093.png
12 KB, 614x604
>>249916706
zing
>>
>>249916628
>/ ! \ TONE ALERT / ! \
fuck why did i laugh
>>
>>249916732

It's common sense
>>
>>249895173
GlaDOS and post-death Cave are powered by human consciousness. They can't be compared to machines built from scraps like Dog.

It seems that Aperture Science put a heavier emphasis on artificial intelligence versus to Black Mesa.
>>
>>249916809

It's not.
>>
>>249916732
http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Conspiracy_Cap
>>
>>249916451
It's in plausible for 4chan to exist in the same universe as pbskids since their tones are different
>>
>>249904884
>while Portal is a completely batshit overt comedy.
Portal 2, sure, but did you play the first one at all? GLaDOS is humorous, but the atmosphere and backstory is bleak enough for the HL canon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9nocjg2OLI
Portal is the only game to have made me feel totally alone, aside from a few N64 games.
Kelly Bailey come back
>>
>>249916451
>if I didn't know this, I'd never post this on 4chan
Don't let ignorance hold you back, you certainly haven't been in this thread.
>>
File: 1373299333471.jpg (54 KB, 496x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1373299333471.jpg
54 KB, 496x500
>>249916451
This is not about tone, nor plausibility, or even what happened in the games anymore, my beef is that you contradicted yourself and you won't even acknowledge it. Your contradiction caused the shitstorm. Whatever rational point you tried to make in the OP was contradicted by your first sentence.

>this circle is NOT blue, and that is indisputable
>but there's a possibility that it IS blue

I don't even care about this HL/Portal canon shit anymore, you are just trying to save face for a simple mistake at this point.
>>
>>249916859
Aperture put a bigger focus on intra-dimensional teleportation and Black Mesa put focus on extra-dimensional teleportation.
>>
>>249916859

It seems that Portal is a comedy game. If Cave and GLaDOS make an appearance in Half Life 3, they'll be completely different to their Portal 2 counterparts.
>>
>>249916863
Yes it is.
>>
>>249915883
>It's implied, yes.
No, No it's not.
It's implied that they are just Scientists doing incredibly dangerous, often unethical research and testing. Cave also kept them all on a very tight leash. he was constantly pestered by his accountants and whatnot, and lab boys, telling him not to do something or that he didnt have the funds for some other thing, but Cave would go ahead with it anyway. most of hsi staff were normal people under incredibly strange working conditions.

>Catherine is quite the retard
how exactly? She was Cave's assistant in his 'glory days" and she married him and stood by his side until the day he died, where he ordered them to stick her brain in a computer because he wouldn't live to do it to himself.

>and they do consent to being injected with peanut butter.
Who does? Not the scientists. remember who they are employing. homeless people they pick up off the streets because they dont have the funding or rep for actual participants.

Also, they never injected anyone with peanut butter. it was some experiment that "may turn your blood to peanut water".

god only knows what the fuck they were shooting those people with.
>>
>>249916863

Seeing people like you blindly ignore moral clarity and disagree with me makes me feel better about my position in the autism pool
>>
I bet HL3 will be released a couple years after EA buys Valve, some months after Gaben dies.
>>
>>249915436
FRLG = RSE > 3 years > HG/SS = D/P/Pt > 5~ years > B/W > 2 years > B/W2 = XY


Who the fuck knows what the new timeline will be when OR/AS come out.
>>
>>249917031
They can be exactly the same way but the consequences of their actions can be shown differently. Instead of having fun puzzle to solve, Cave Johnson's experiments can (and did) turn horribly wrong and maim, gore and kill people. Just show the non-comedic part and Portal is now intensely more insane.
>>
>>249895781
Lol top kek, , are you just pretending to be retarded lol!
>>
>>249917307
Valve would never late Gaben die, that's completely against the tone of the company.
>>
>>249917031
It's a black comedy. It's bleak but it has moments of funny dialogue. If you were to play it without the dialogue, it'd be an entirely different game.
>>
tone is a new buzzword
>>
>>249904884
Deadpool and Punisher comics take place in the same canon and yet they have entirely different tones. Why can't Half-Life and Portal?
>>
>>249917431
Gabe's arteries hold more sway than Valve does
>>
>>249916884

Ok, I stand corrected.

... f-fuuuuck.

Ew.

>>249916915

It's dark, sure, but GLaDOS is just tad too wacky. I could live with it being part of the Half Life universe (as opposed to Portal 2), but I seriously doubt Valve will make any overt reference to GLaDOS as represented by Portal 1.

>>249916969

My beef with you is that you imply that I stated that Aperture Science doesn't exist in Half Life despite me clearly:

1) Stating that they do.
2) Posting a fucking screenshot that confirms it.

Once again -- Portal and Half Life canons are incompatible and they're not the same. I can give you a 99% guarantee on that, using common sense alone. All in my OP. Mark my words. I can leave a paypal account if you want to, donate whatever you feel necessary when Half Life 3 comes out.
>>
>>249917556
Bam.
>>
>>249917556

because comics are for retards who can't understand tone and morality.
>>
> First quote in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUkyh0WbxoQ

> Portal is totally not in the Half-life universe guys even though Glados just referenced the shitstorm that was the combine's arrival.
> No no, I mean because of it's tone
> Glados is extremely bleak when she says that
> Muh gene pool.
>>
File: Dungeon Master.png (161 KB, 363x379) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Dungeon Master.png
161 KB, 363x379
Half-Life is effectively dead as a series so who gives a fuck anymore.
>>
>>249917629
Even if, EA's tone is the exact opposite of Valve's, they would never-ever/maybe-yes incorporate that canon into theirs. Common sense. Refer to the OP.
>>
>>249917652
Again: Deadpool and the Punisher. Prove me the fuck wrong.
>>
>>249917652
>My beef with you is that you imply that I stated that Aperture Science doesn't exist in Half Life

>>249895173
>Half Life and Portal are NOT the same canon.
>>
>>249917652

>>249895173
> GLaDOS and Wheatley and countless other over the top things in Portal simply cannot exist in Half Life canon.

> GLaDOS is just tad too wacky I could live with it being part of the Half Life universe

No one cares what you feel like you could live with.
>>
How many more years until half life 3?
>>
>>249917782
Let's see how OP is gonna autism-twist this one
>>
>>249917652
>It's dark, sure, but GLaDOS is just tad too wacky.

Nigger she is fucking sinister. She starts off light hearted to give you the impression that it's just a dumb AI or prerecorded message, and as the game goes on she reveals that she isn't what she seems, until she tries to incinerate you, then spends the game trying to kill you.
>>
>>249918112
He'll ignore it like he has for a few of my points.
>>
>>249918112
>i-it's just a subtle nod, monkey island guys, common sense!
>>
>>249916451

I was going to write an elaborate response poking fun at you, using the words "common sense" and "tone" in particular, but at this point you're just making fun of yourself and it would feel mean to do so.
>>
>>249917216
>It's implied that they are just Scientists doing incredibly dangerous, often unethical research and testing. Cave also kept them all on a very tight leash. he was constantly pestered by his accountants and whatnot, and lab boys, telling him not to do something or that he didnt have the funds for some other thing, but Cave would go ahead with it anyway. most of hsi staff were normal people under incredibly strange working conditions.

Revisit Portal 2 and you'll see that only an utter retard would work in that facility, no matter the paycheck.

>how exactly? She was Cave's assistant in his 'glory days" and she married him and stood by his side until the day he died, where he ordered them to stick her brain in a computer because he wouldn't live to do it to himself.

"Say goodbye Caroline"
"Goodbye Caroline"

By the way, Yeah, she's actually Caroline, we fucked up.

>Who does? Not the scientists. remember who they are employing. homeless people they pick up off the streets because they dont have the funding or rep for actual participants.

Cave outright states "olympics champions" at one point. Even so, not even homeless people are retarded enough for that. This is peanut butter and mantis men not LSD.

Yeah, it's plausible that Cave Johnson is a rambling lunatic and that there are no mantis men or peanut butter but not plausible that somebody would let a rambling lunatic inject them with anything. In a comedy game it is though. Take it for granted in Portal canon, take it with a grain of salt in Half Life canon.
>>
>>249916179
Nintendo ain't a game series silly.
>>
>>249918352
Atari
>>
>>249918329
People sign up for ordinance disposal and make livings by sticking their heads in a crocodile's mouth, why wouldn't they want to work for a company that's supposed to have great PR?
>>
>>249917342

Well yeah, that's my implication. Anything relevant to Half Life canon will be shown sans the comedy.

If anything is shown. I doubt they'll go beyond portal technology and a few references to Aperture Science

>>249918007

Now you're just being an utter retard if you think blatant strawmen like that can fly. Keep on keeping on.
>>
>>249895173
But Eli Vance talks about Aperture Laboratories in Half-Life 2 and Cave Johnson talks about Black Mesa in Portal 2.

So you're just a fucking autistic retard.
>>
Metal Gear Revengeance can't be in the same canon as the rest of the Metal Gear Solid series; the tone is just too different!
>>
>>249918718
>mfw people actually think that
>>
File: 1370135922063.jpg (28 KB, 442x330) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1370135922063.jpg
28 KB, 442x330
>>249918645
>Now you're just being an utter retard if you think blatant strawmen like that can fly.
>doesn't even know what a strawman is

Oh wow, I'm at a loss for words here.
>>
>>249918645
>Now you're just being an utter retard if you think blatant strawmen like that can fly. Keep on keeping on.

You said it, not him. How is it a strawman?

Do you not know what canon means?
>>
>>249918352

You're right, sorry.

Grim Fandango is my favorite game in any case. Followed by Bloodlines, Quake 3/Live, Alpha Centauri, Dungeon Keeper and some other crap.

>>249918632

Because Cave Johnson is overtly insane.
>>
>>249918645
> I doubt they'll go beyond portal technology and a few references to Aperture Science
But there's no need to do that. That wasn't my point. Gordon could literally walk into aperture as it is in portal 1 and see EVERYTHING. Seeing that shit from an outsider's perspective, without the ramblings of weathley (who won't even be there before hundred of years) or glados (who may be "dead" at that point) could be the creepiest shit ever.
>>
>>249918925
A lot of CEOs are overtly insane. Most people take jobs assuming they won't even interact with the guy up top.
>>
>>249918718
>>249918767
nice same fag.

Its about as canon as Jaws 4 is to Jaws 1.
>>
>>249918925
Yes, and that's a secret they manage to keep under covers until right before the end of the company.
>>
>>249918841

You're a fucking idiot, let's leave it at that. Ask somebody else if you don't trust me.

>>249918842

So you missed the part where I clearly acknowledge Aperture Science as a very likely part of Half Life's canon. You know, the part in the OP? Marked with number 3? The screenshot I posted?
>>
>>249919134
And then you say
>GLaDOS and Wheatley and countless other over the top things in Portal simply cannot exist in Half Life canon.

Epic. Simply epic.
>>
>>249919010

Could be and it would actually be pretty cool. I doubt they'll really do it though, it could rile some people up and Valve are very careful not to rile people up these days. They'
>>
>>249919080
Do we really need to have another argument about canon here? The one we're already having is getting stale, because

>>249919134
Won't stop contradicting himself.
>>
>>249919080

Holy shit you guys and your off the wall references are killing me I ain't gonna IMDB that shit
>>
>>249917705
And video games by Valve are?
>>
>>249919243

And if you'd pay attention, you'd know I stand by that. The only way for GLaDOS and Wheatley to exist within Half Life is for them to be portrayed completely different, making Half Life and Portal canons two different canons.
>>
>>249919134
>where I clearly acknowledge Aperture Science as a very likely part of Half Life's canon.

Oh, where you said it can only exist as either a joke, or something completely different ?
>>
>>249919448

Yeah?
>>
File: 1398063837766.gif (826 KB, 299x235) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1398063837766.gif
826 KB, 299x235
>>249919134
You don't even know what a strawman is, you're like half of /v/ right there. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt up until then but you really are stupid.
>>
>>249919417
Now explain WHY they have to be portrayed differently.

Hint: use facts.

Hard mode: Don't use the word "tone"

Dante Must Die Mode: Don't be autistic
>>
>where I clearly acknowledge Aperture Science as a very likely part of Half Life's canon
>Half Life and Portal are NOT the same canon.
>>
>>249919417
>very likely part of the same canon
>two different canons
>are NOT the same canon

I don't know what to believe.
>>
>>249919526
> Aperture is very likely part of Half-life
> But it's not aperture it's something else
> But it's still canon
> Even though it's something else that isn't canon because it was never mentionned or shown.

Ok
>>
>>249919565

They will be portrayed differently because it's common sense to conclude that Half Life -- a game with a very different tone compared to Portal -- won't adopt silly slapstick comedy Portal does.
>>
>>249919768
>playing on easy mode
>>
>>249919768
>They will be portrayed differently because it's common sense
>Hint: use facts
>>
as always. OP is a faggot
>>
>>249919768
> slapstick comedy
> In portal

You don't even know what you're talking about. The only slapstick I can recall in the series is in Portal 2, with weathley at the very beginning, and that was only to ease you into the game before it goes into loony-insane land. And it's not like Half-life doesn't have slapstick.
>>
>>249919891

FUCK, I COMPLETELY MISSED THE PART WHERE YOU SAID THAT.

Alright, I'll give it another go:

They will be portrayed differently because it's common sense to conclude that Half Life -- a game with a very different tone compared to Portal -- won't adopt silly slapstick comedy Portal does.

This better?
>>
>>249911636
This reminds me, what timeframe does the Coop story take place? Portal 1 or 2 or earlier?
>>
>>249919768
>portal
>slapstick
>>
The original Portal was super grimdark comedy, and completely realistic. It went haywire with Portal 2 because the AIs, not uploaded Catherine GLaDOS but genuine machine-born sapience, had taken over for the past decades/centuries, and they were all completely nuts. TF2niverse is their world, their perception and mental state, TF2 itself is canon to Half-Life as an Aperture Science Military Android Virtual Evolutionary Training/Development Environment.
>>
>>249920015
>because it's common sense
>Hint: use facts
>>
>>249920043
After Portal 2, most likely.
>>
>>249920043
After Chell left in Portal 2.
>>
>>249919986

Let's not get into semantics over "slapstick". You do acknowledge that "loony-insane land" is not compatible with the tone of the Half Life series or do you not?
>>
>>249920043
way after Portal 2's single player.
>>
>>249920149
Shit I guess the Joker is too silly for the DC universe
>>
>>249920149
>dodging the question
>>
>>249920125
TF2 is much more likely to be merely a TV show in the Half-life and Portal's universe 60's. Left 4 dead, could easily be a series of movies.
>>
>>249920265

There's no question, silly.
>>
>>249919768
>silly slapstick comedy Portal does.

They're AIs and computer programs. Their personality is either ripped straight from the donor humans or programmed by Aperture's scientists.

Glados also gets quite serious at times and Wheatley was engineered into being an idiot.
>>
>>249919768
>slapstick
You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means
>>
>>249920368

I guess if I used the word "slapstick" incorrectly, my entire argument goes to waste. Curse you semantics!
>>
>>249920149
>tone

Retard.
>>
>>249920150
>>249920127
>>249920134
Wait that doesn't make any sense to me, let me explain.
Portal 2 takes place a long time (100's?) after Half Life 2, and in the coop the bots use the launch codes to shoot planes (I guess I assume human controlled) and lastly the bots appear during the single player storyline.
Idk explanations would be fine but that just seems weird to me
>>
>>249920149
You're avoiding the main point. And then you go right on to argue about the semantics of "Loony-insane land". Half-life's world IS insane. There's ton of fucked up shit that happen, there's people that are completely off the wall. Hell, Father Grigory is probably the closest thing to Glados in the game. And he's completely nuts, loony and insane.
>>
>>249895173 (You)

OP here present a very cogent, understandable argument. I agree with him. You people are too dense to understand it. What's wrong with you people? Are you all twelve?

Half Life and Portal are two very different games, tone-wise. This is a common sense conclusion.
>>
>>249920460
I just figured that glados would be using Chell if she was still around. instead she's using the bots, and the entire point of the game is find that big stash of cryogenically frozen human test subjects, which were never mentioned in the single player.
>>
>>249920460
Glados wasn't reactivated until Chell and Wheately did stuff, and Glados directs the co-op bots.
>>
>>249920442
You seem to think the Portal games are literally joke after joke, like Family Guy or some shit. They aren't.
>>
>>249920460
>the bots appear during the single player storyline.

They were here before. Glados says she started an initiative to replace Chell once she's dead. The initiative is activated after she left. The planes are controlled by specimens still alive that glados kept in aperture in statis (like Chell). She also killed all of them to kill a crow.
>>
>>249920442

>Guys I'm backing up my argument with words I don't understand
>"I guess if I'm using words I don't understand my argument goes to waste"

Actually, it kind of does.
>>
File: 1386467759720.gif (3 MB, 307x167)
1386467759720.gif
3 MB, 307x167
>ctrl f "tone"
>66 results

>ctrl f "common sense"
>34 results

Good fucking show OP, you've discovered one of the most efficient ways ever to make an argument go in circles ad infinitum. I think I'm gonna try this shit later and see if it's a repeatable formula.
>>
>>249920525

Yet you'll still agree a scenario like:

"In Half Life 3, Gordon uses a Portal gun to shoot himself to the moon to retrieve Wheatley because he's the key to defeating gman."

won't appear in Half Life 3 nor will anything comparable appear. Don't you?

There won't be singing turrets, GLaDOS won't call Gordon fat -- if she even appears, she'll be just a dead husk rotting somewhere as a nod to Portal.
>>
>>249913007
Now I'm imagining Glados building test chambers designed for Striders
>>
>>249920973
Please no,

You don't understand what level of the burning hells you'd unleash onto /v/ with this.
>>
>>249920973
You can bet your ass that there's gonna be copycats (or the original) doing this in every Half Life thread.
>>
im not sure i understand what you're trying to say.
Aperture, especially the shit that chell goes though, is extremely isolated from the outside world
it is completely plausible that a highly advanced but fictional AI would keep its self entertained with jokes.
In contrast, the dark reality that the half-lifes take place in wouldn't allow for idle humor, because they are just trying to get by.
Also, portal obviously takes place BEFORE the half-lifes based on th ending of portal 1
http://youtu.be/sgupYhpjVxo?t=6m36s
showing a parking lot (presumably) undamaged before glados exploded and green trees.
>>
>>249902772
I've read somewhere that the idea for a super secret laboratory doing research into alternate dimensions when one pops open and horrors flood out comes from The Mist by Stephen King.
>>
File: 1398928382579.jpg (4 KB, 200x184) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1398928382579.jpg
4 KB, 200x184
>>249920442
Well you've already used the words "canon" and "strawman" incorrectly so I say we just go by a three strike basis.

Oh and just to help you keep track, 3 is the number that comes after 2.
>>
>>249917216
>It's implied that they are just Scientists doing incredibly dangerous
It's not implied because Cave Johnson fucking talks about just how dangerous some of the experiments were. Like with the blue gel he mentions that getting covered in it would likely cause you're spine to jump out of your body.
>>
>>249921212
Pretty much, that lab was named "Arrow" in The Mist and in the original draft of Half Life it was named "Quiver".
>>
2 things with different tones can exist in the same universe. obviously hl3 would set a different tone than portal does, but that doesnt mean the events of portal could not have possibly occurred in the same universe that half life does. jak 3 set an incredibly different tone from jak and daxter, but they are both still part of the same universe.
>>
>>249921486
He's ignored any examples of differing tone from other works so far, I doubt he'll care about that one either.
>>
>>249916915

Kelly Bailey returned to Valve shortly after Portal 2 came out, it's also confirmed that he's working on HL3.
>>
>>249921051
In Half Life 2 a confiscation field that pulverizes all weapons the prisoners are carrying overcharges your GRAVITY GUN in a way that allows you to shoot lasers all over the soldiers of this invading alien mega empire.

I'm pretty sure I fought the combine plus many different kinds of aliens singlehandedly using mostly just a crowbar.

You need to go to bed.
>>
>>249908978
that would be an anachronism
>>
>>249921287
Because he totally knew that before he tested that on the scientists right?
>>
>>249921486

They can exist in the same universe, but not in the same canon. Half Life 3 will never reference the overtly insane parts of Portal 3 because that would destroy any suspense of disbelief. As far as Half Life is concerned, Portal is just portal technology and Aperture Science. Possibly not even that, it remains to be seen just how much of it ends up in Half Life canon.
>>
>>249921051
> "In Half Life 3, Gordon uses a Portal gun to shoot himself to the moon to retrieve Wheatley because he's the key to defeating gman."
> Implying it's any more implausible than "In Half-Life 1, Gordon goes to a fissure in space-time to kill a giant alien that looks like a fetus that's somehow controlling the invasion that wasn't really an invasion but more of an evacuation because a secret race of aliens bent on inter-dimensional conquest is pushing them outside of the time-rift. Then Gordon gets abducted by a man in a suit and put in stasis for 20 years for no apparent reason at the time".
> There won't be singing turrets
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcD59UMtGus
This fits Half-life's universe perfectly. It's creepy as hell. Any other decayed turret singing a song could very well add to the atmosphere of the game.
> GLaDOS won't call Gordon fat
She can kill him 4 eyes for all I care. You realise Glados was doing this to piss off Chell right ? Not because it's lolsowacky.
> she'll be just a dead husk rotting somewhere as a nod to Portal.
> nod

You mean show what actually happen ? Which is way more than a nod.
>>
>>249921212
how bout that. I remember when I watched the film, the one soldier explained where the monsters came from and I immediately thought of Half-Life.
>>
>>249921756
...So universe and canon are two different things now?
>>
>>249920460
I'm almost certain that it's before Portal 2, maybe even before 1. You release all these test subjects at the end, yet Chell is supposed to be the last living person in the facility

I may be wrong, but I don't remember the place being overgrown by vegetation either
>>
>>249921654

Did a potato attached to your crowbar comment on your kills and shout "double kill" occasionally?
>>
File: portal_gman_hl2.jpg (265 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
portal_gman_hl2.jpg
265 KB, 1920x1200
>>249921051
Half-Life is more gritty because death is a recurrent theme in the games. Aperture Science is shielded from the surface world but even Glados knows that it's hell up there. Again, AS put many man hours into perfecting artificial intelligence as opposed to Black Mesa so don't be surprised if they made abundant use of it.
>>
>>249921756
Oh, I didn't realize we could just change the meanings of words to win arguments. Lemme give this a shot.

You are a fucking retard, but you don't have a low IQ. Cool, now I can call you a retard, and you can't get mad at me because I secretly made up my own definition that doesn't mean what you think it does! I fucking love calvinball debate!
>>
File: reter67fgjhfg.jpg (38 KB, 640x480) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
reter67fgjhfg.jpg
38 KB, 640x480
>mfw Valve decided not to use "F-Stop" in Portal 2 and use it in Half-Life 3 instead.
>>
>>249921917
> yet Chell is supposed to be the last living person in the facility

No where it says that. Only weathley (whose a moron) or Glados (who's a liar trying to keep Chell ignorant) could inform the player of something like this.
> being overgrown by vegetation either
There's no vegetation at the end of portal 2, glados repaired the whole place.
>>
>>249902294
what's that picture? It's been a long time since i played through HL2
>>
>>249921943
Did it do that in Portal? Because I distinctly remember Glados actually saying important, plot relevant things when she was a potato instead of wacky shit every other second, like you seem to think she did.
>>
File: 127361941365.jpg (39 KB, 222x260) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
127361941365.jpg
39 KB, 222x260
>>249921756
>They can exist in the same universe, but not in the same canon.
>>
>>249921943
So a physicist fighting an alien race by himself in another dimension, waking up 20 year later and beating an alien invasion all by himself, all while using a crowbar is ok. But if you add a talking potato to it it's suddenly slapstick comedy tone tone common sense different canons strawman universe.
>>
>>249921943
You did have a giant gorilla-shaped robot who made funny gestures and comically censored curse words with clanging.
>>
>people pretending what they don't like is canon
Fucking every fictional universe ever. The worst part of this though? Purely on tone of the game faglords refuse to believe they are related.
>>
>>249898050
>I expect Half Life 3 is well under way in development and you can expect news very soon now that the bone and ps4 are out.

....yeah right :(
>>
>>249921859
Apparently!
>>
>>249922163
I would love that, but I doubt they would try something so dangerous with a sequel that people have been waiting years for.
>>
>>249922470
Guys, different countries are in different canon in our universe. I just blew my own mind.
>>
File: 1403175551218.jpg (156 KB, 746x982) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403175551218.jpg
156 KB, 746x982
>409 posts and 34 image replies omitted. Click Reply to view.
>>
>>249921859

The semantics of it are blurry to me as I'm not wikipediaing this shit, but you do understand my point. Things can be set in the same universe but have two slightly different canons. I guess they call this alternate universes or whatnot.

>>249921785

Nihilanth never cracked any jokes, etc, etc, repeating myself all over again, you missing the point, etc.

And yes, GLaDOS called Chell fat because it's lolsowacky, first and foremost.

>>249922086

You've just explained to yourself why semantic squabbles are pointless, yet you behave like you didn't. Think on your post for a while, I won't do it for you.
>>
>>249921463
Ah yes, I remembered it being called Arrow but not why that was relevant. Thanks.
>>249921807
Hah, then you're more perceptive than me. I read it somewhere much later along with what the other guy I'm quoting is saying about the names, makes a lot of sense.
>>
File: 1354297753720.jpg (80 KB, 518x540) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1354297753720.jpg
80 KB, 518x540
>>249922772
>Things can be set in the same universe but have two slightly different canons. I guess they call this alternate universes or whatnot.

>two things can exist in the same universe, but be in different universes
>>
>>249922279

Ok, so Gordon can attach GLaDOS to his crowbar and listen to her calling him fat, but she'll also say relevant things as well. Ties in pretty well with Half Life's established tone. I say do it, Gabe.
>>
>>249922772
>you just explained why semantic squabbles are pointless
>literally argue about semantics a few sentences earlier in your post
>>
>>249898050
>I expect Half Life 3 is well under way in development and you can expect news very soon now that the bone and ps4 are out.

They weren't waiting for the new consoles, they were waiting for Steam machines and the Rift. Half-Life 3 won't be SteamOS/Linux exclusive, but it'll be PC exclusive and a free copy will come with every Steam machine. Valve also has a big presentation hall reserved for this year's Gamescom, so expect Half-Life 3 to be shown there.
>>
>>249922938
Glados never called chell fat while she was a potato.
>>
>>249922938
Wouldn't the potato just break?
>>
File: 1403511559833.png (363 KB, 500x370) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403511559833.png
363 KB, 500x370
FUCK YOU /v/

STOP TAKING THE BAIT
>>
>>249923065

Fuck, I guess it all falls apart now.

>>249922953

Explaining to someone how you don't want to argue semantics is not the same as arguing semantics, but you likely wouldn't understand.
>>
>>249922772
Oh so because a giant fetus shooting balls out of his head in a time-rift while a scientist with no formal combat experience beats an entire alien army and US army commando with a crowbar isn't cracking jokes, it's way more plausible than Gordon going to the moon ? Way to cherry-pick your ass out.

> And yes, GLaDOS called Chell fat because it's lolsowacky, first and foremost.
> I can't into context.
>>
>>249922938
Did you even play the game? Glados insults Chell to destroy her psychologically because trying to kill her hasn't worked out as well as she thought it would.

It's also the reason she allows you to leave the facility at the end of the game.
>>
>>249923159
It's fun to argue, why do you think /v/ exists in the first place?
>>
>>249923504
To talk about video games?
>>