[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished this. Thought it was pretty good but I had a few

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 7

File: Leftovers.jpg (18KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
Leftovers.jpg
18KB, 182x268px
Just finished this. Thought it was pretty good but I had a few gripes.

Carrie Coon and Justin Theroux were phenomenal throughout the whole show and Kevin and Nora's stories were clearly the strength of the show but all the other characters outside of Matt seemed fucking pointless.

What was the point of Tom's arc, Meg's arc, Jill's arc etc.? Seems like Lindelof just completely ran out of ideas and never really had a purpose for them.
>>
>>87729159
Lindelof isn't capable of writing a complete story.
>>
>>87729159
Yeah not a fan of how Tom, Jill, Lily were all written out of the show for no real reason. Obviously they wanted to focus on the other characters but it felt a bit sudden.
Lily is the strangest, how exactly did Christina, a teenage girl, who abandoned her baby in a public bathroom, get custody of her again? Especially since she was legally adopted by Kevin/Nora.
>>
>>87729159
Their arcs were wrapped up. Much of their issues stemmed from their parents and adolescence, which they'd grown out of from their parents reconciliation and time skip

>>87729244
This is a pleb
>>
>>87729288
See I didn't get that vibe at all. Tom ends the 2nd season with Meg and then ends up helping Nora and Lily.

I don't know what the fuck they were trying to do with Jill or Meg. They were good characters in the 1st season and they were all over the place in the 2nd.

John was executed well and I guess Michael was ok but Erika completely disappeared.
>>
>>87729288
>This is a pleb

Not really. For Leftovers the "let the mystery be" worked. For something else (like Prometheus for example) it's a horrid way of storytelling.
>>
>>87729288
The man writes mysteries with no solution. Sure even in real life not every mystery is answered but there IS an answer. Someone out there did kill Jonbenet and though no one has it is possible that her murder could still be figured out.

There is absolutely no reason to discuss the mysteries and holes in anything Lindelof writes because there is literally no answer. He just didn't write one.
>>
>>87729286
just let the mystery be
>>
>>87729465
There not being a solution is literally the entire point of the show. I don't see how someone could sit through 3 seasons of The Leftovers and not realise that
>>
>>87729465
I mean the entire central theme of the show is faith. That's why the mystery not being solved works. The point of faith is that you really don't get an answer.
>>
reminder lindelof's career is over and hes been chased off all social media.

all he has to fill his days are these attempts to defend his work.
>>
>>87729509
Not writing a solution is just lazy writing.
>>
>>87729550
Isn't he making Watchmen series for HBO?
>>
>>87729509
It'd be one thing if this was the only thing he did this with but it's not.

Remember when instead of answering peoples questions after Lost was done he just linked to a fan theory blog and told people to just read that.

The guy is great at throwing out cool ideas but not seating those ideas into the world.
>>
>>87729526
>the entire central theme of the show is faith

the central theme of the first season (and book) was the stages of grief. The central theme of the second and third season was kevin being jesus.
>>
>>87729595
I would love to see how you would have ended the show, explaining the Departure would ruin the entire show

>>87729632
I haven't seen Lost, it also has no relevance to other shows. Especially a show that is based on book, so he wasn't even the one who made the idea in the first place
>>
>>87729618
still just "announced." Hopefully they come to their senses considering reaction has been resoundingly negative.
>>
>>87729641
Ok. Ill give you the first season about being more about grief then faith but in no way were the second and third seasons strictly just about Kevin being Jesus. Matt, John, Kevin Sr. and Kevin Jr. were all about faith.

I'm not really sure what the point of Laurie's was desu.
>>
>>87729668
I would've saved myself from needing to write an explanation of the departure by not constantly mining it for cheap plot devices to force drama, and, instead, developed a series of characters organically reacting to such an occurrence. Also would've kept it less than two years later.

The main flaw in the show (and lindelof's work in general) is was never actually character driven. He just drops random plot on characters and writes them to react the most melodramatic way possible.
>>
>>87729618
no, that whole story was bullshit and was old news when they published it, like years old. it's not happening, lindehack is DONE
>>
>>87729793
Kevin being jesus is the biggest plot element of the second and third season. Though they were more about lindelof's standard "man of science" and "man of faith" bullshit. It's pretty silly to even think of the reoccuring characters from season 1 as being the same characters in season 2 and 3, as none of them act in accordance to their season 1 behavior.
>>
>>87729159
>Seems like Lindelof just completely ran out of ideas and never really had a purpose for them.

You do know the show was cancelled and was only given 8 episodes for the last season. They had bigger plans for Jill and Tom but had to drop it.
>>
>>87729957
We all know the real reason the last season only got eight episodes is because lindelof submitted a script for an episode centered around how kevin got his tattoos.
>>
>>87729996
>it's a tattoo episode

BRAVO LINDELOF
>>
>>87729833
I don't get where your coming from at all. I don't see how the departure was mined for cheap plot devices.

>>87729957
No. I actually didn't. I just thought they had planned it this way. Wish it would have gotten more then.
>>
>>87730055
the big magic happening was used as an excuse to have more similar magical/random events happen whenever things started dragging.
>>
>>87730080
What? How?
>>
>>87730122
kevin not being able to die, the afterlife, every second of matt episodes, etc.
>>
>>87729159

Yea, Tom and Jill didn't get a lot of development outside of being confused kids.

If we take the final season, we realize who the main characters were due to their "bottle" episodes:

Kevin, Nora, Matt, Laurie, and Kevin Garvey Sr.

Ep1: Kevin
Ep2: Nora
Ep3: Kevin Garvey Sr.
Ep4: Kevin & Nora
Ep5: Matt
Ep6: Laurie
Ep7: Kevin
Ep8: Nora

I really liked how they did this with Season 3 where most episodes mostly concentrated on a single character, but it just didn't allow a lot of room for the others.

Then again Jill and Tom didn't get much love in S2 either, since John was once of the most developed characters that season, second only to Kevin probably.

Still one of my favorite shows and easily one of the best of the last decade, surpassing both Mad Men and Breaking Bad IMO.
>>
>>87730080
>more similar magical/random events
What?
>>
>falling for the LindeLOST meme again
Really, /tv/?
>>
>>87730055
>I don't get where your coming from at all. I don't see how the departure was mined for cheap plot devices.

maybe not the departure, but every 5 minutes in the show there is some random mysterious event that is never explained and is only used to get a reaction out of his characters. it's fucking stupid and so forced
>>
>>87729159
story was not about jill or meg or tom or whatever, they show those chars as long as they are needed for kev and nora story was about them. when they no longer affect this two specially kevin they aren't needed.
>>
>>87730144
Afterlife was entirely in Kevins head. How can somebody not realise that?
>>
>>87730197
the show wasn't about anything. None of that crap was planned out ahead of time. They adapted the book word for word then they just kinda wing-it for the rest, and goddamn does it show.
>>
>>87730223
So not being able to die was entirely in his head too?
>>
>>87730144
>>87730173
Which is exploring the idea of faith and religion. I don't see how those are cheap plot devices.

>>87730147
Don't think it's better than either of those shows imo but I did really like it despite my personal gripes.
>>
>>87729159
There's no way Nora is telling the truth right? she shouted something in the chamber and bailed, maybe she reasoned that the 2% split into another reality but if its really that easy to jump between then someone who definitely departed (caught leaving in cctv or something) would have came accross.
>>
>>87730229
lindelof is known to just go where the road takes him but i think he at least had an idea, sort of skeleton and the backbone was kevin and nora it was all going in that direction you can't deny
>>
>>87730268
faith and religion are cheap plot elements because they're centered around not making sense, but expecting the audience to accept them anyway.

This might be beyond your mental capacity.
>>
>>87730268
>Which is exploring the idea of faith and religion. I don't see how those are cheap plot devices.

yea kevin not being able to die and then going into limbo and being an assassin is all about faith and religion
>>
>>87730297
>faith and religion are cheap plot elements because they're centered around not making sense
>This might be beyond your mental capacity.

We have reached levels of fedora tipping previously thought impossible
>>
>>87730281
lindelof never had a plan. the entire story is basically lindelof going "what if THIS mysterious event happened, wow the audience will love that, oh wait then lets do THIS mysterious event after it, holy crap! and oh wait wait wait, i have ANOTHER mysterious event."

fucking kino mannnnnn
>>
>>87730281
going where the road takes you is organic storytelling, its respecting the characters you've developed enough to allow them to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with who you've written them to be.

This does not apply to anything damon lindelof has written.

Damon lindelof just drops plot on characters that is specifically constructed to generate a specific reaction then has the characters overeact as dramatically as possible
>>
>>87730277
I don't think she did but I think the point is that were not supposed to care, just believe.

I mean all religions are founded on bizarre stories that people decided to believe. I think that was to point. It doesn't matter if it's true or not as long as it brings you some sort of joy. Maybe i'm grasping at straws but that was my interpretation.
>>
>>87730334
Your lack of counter argument and gracious concession has been noted.
>>
>>87730277
>>87730364
nora's storyline was intentionally vague and any conclusion you come to says more about you than the show. As it was constructed to be discussed as a "did she or didn't she" in order to keep people talking about the show for longer than it was airing.
>>
it's so annoying trying to argue with leftover fantards, the show tells you to let the mystery be, but they then defend this show by using their own stupid head canon
>>
>>87730439
that's not what the show is saying

its deeper than that!
>>
>>87730385
I wasn't even the guy you were arguing with, but you didn't make an argument either. Saying you don't understand something isn't a criticism, neither is insulting people.
Also I can't read the words 'gracious concession' without assuming I'm being b8ed. Nobody can upvote you here theres no need to try so hard
>>
>>87730297
How is exploring ideas that have been key societal elements since literally the beginning of time a "cheap plot device"?

Entire countries are founded on religion.

>>87730385
I wasnt the fedora tipping comment

>>87730302
Yes. He takes a literal leap of faith to discover more about himself.
>>
>>87730468
>Saying you don't understand something
>ctrl+f
>I don't understand

... Like I said, I figured it was beyond your mental capacity. Faith takes a lot of juice as doubt is the natural state of man.
>>
>>87730465
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaoR5m4L80
>>
File: damonlindelof__120602022231.jpg (532KB, 3280x4405px) Image search: [Google]
damonlindelof__120602022231.jpg
532KB, 3280x4405px
>TV Writers Were Also Watching ‘Sopranos’
>Damon Lindelof, one of the creators of the ABC hit show “Lost,” another series whose viewers have high expectations about quality, said: “I’ve seen every episode of the series. I thought the ending was letter-perfect.”

This is all you need to know about Lindelof. He HATES answers.
>>
>>87730438
Yeah I can agree with that.
>>
>>87730519
There is always a God in a fictional work, the author, so exploring faith in fiction is nothing but a wank session.

there also isn't much about faith to really explore, its just the act of pairing reality down to a manageable model in order to function in life.
>>
>>87730526
>centered around not making sense
Sounds like it's above your mental capacity t b h friendo. Game of Thrones might be more to your taste
>>
>>87730533
his entire writing career is basically
>introduce mysterious element
>forget about it
>introduce another mysterious element so the audience forgets about the first one
>forgets about it
>write a tattoo episode
>lol let the mystery b
>>
>>87730533
Answers are dumb. It doesn't let you find out more about yourself if you get answers.
>>
>>87730527
>get a (you) from something you didn't post

scared.jpg
>>
>>87730571
I don't get the "tattoo episode" thing. Please enlighten me.
>>
>>87730571

holy shit, since the first episode in interviews, the departed was a question which was never supposed to be answered
>>
>>87730350
It's based on a book you fucktard. It is not as if he came up with the characters. kys pleb
>>
>>87730613
that's fine, too bad he just stacks more mysterious crap on top of it and never explains any of that either
>>
>>87730569
Your lack of counter arguments and gracious concession were already noted, friendo.
>>
Season 1 episode 3 fucked me up, I barely ever get emotional at tv shows or films but seeing him take care of his wife reduced me to a bubbling fool.
Seeing Kevin in season 2 just sitting by himself in the house at night, knowing he was loosing his mind was pretty rough as well.
Fuck I love this show.
>>
>>87730629
Your lack of counter arguments and gracious concession were already noted, pal
>>
>>87730623
have you read the book you fucking idiot? the first season is basically a tv adaption of the book. season 2 and 3 are pure lindelof retardation

and, what a surprise, the first season is the only good season of the show
>>
>>87730623
The book was nothing but a strained metaphor for the stages of grief, and the show ran through the book's material in a single season. Everything after that is lindelof doing his standard bullshit.
>>
>>87730642
I compared faith to doublethink. Feel free to try to counter this or just bow out.
>>
>>87730667
That explains the huge tonal shift between season 1 and 2+3. I love the whole show but S1 was so much better than the rest
>>
>>87730565
Have you ever read a philosophy book before?

When you read another person's views on things, even faith, it can change your perspective.

Exploring other perspectives helps you grow as a person.

Imo, the shows central characters did a really good job with that.
>>
>>87730604
there's an episode in lost fully dedicated to explaining jack's tattoo. it's one of the worst episodes of the series. kevin has a full back tattoo in the show and if the show went on for a little longer we were definitely going to get an episode explaining how and why he got it.
>>
File: CIoFKxA.jpg (737KB, 2880x3552px) Image search: [Google]
CIoFKxA.jpg
737KB, 2880x3552px
>>87730277
Yep, she was lying. That was the central theme of this episode. Kevin was lying about their past to start over again without all the burden. Nun was lying about her secret lover. Nora also realized that it would be easier for them both if she tell that fake story. Kevin knew it not truth but he accepted it.
>>
>>87730690
I'm not euphoric enough to argue with someone on your level of enlightenment. Keep fighting the good fight against le christian menace brother!
>>
>>87729159
Yeah, Nora episodes were the best. Followed by Matt episodes.

>>87729286
Jill was trash tho
The teenagers parts of the first season are the most cringeworthy tv I've seen in a long time.
>>
>>87730765
She did a good job portraying herself as a happy go lucky kid in the flashback episode tho, was pretty taken a back by that scene.
>>
File: 1502316756428.jpg (148KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1502316756428.jpg
148KB, 853x480px
Are you ready?
>>
>It's another Kevin crying scene
>Random acts of violence
>Random sex
Trash.
>>
Why are people so desperate for answers? its the whole premise of the show, how people deal with unexplained shit.
What mystery has ever had a satisfying explanation on tv anyway?
>>
>>87730223
Holy shit you're retarded
>>
>>87731085
"No!"
>>
>>87731046
how about just stop stacking unexplained shit on top of unexplained shit? season 1 worked because it explored how people dealt with the departure, one big unexplained event. lindelof then decided to make the next two seasons about unexplained events happening over and over again every goddamn episode. it's just obvious he had no clue what to do and just wrote things he thought people would find intriguing
>>
I'm watching the FINALE later tonight. Please don't let this thread die.
>>
>>87731160
The only element introduced after season one that cant be reasonably explained is Kevins inability to die, thats hardly "stacking unexplained", its just the reaction to an all bets are off event like a departure, something like that would fuck everyone up, the "world has ended" is exactly how a lot of people would feel.
>>
>>87731306
It's more of an epilogue than a finale, Most Powerful Man in the World (And his Identical Twin Brother) is the real finale
>>
I know its not the point and it could have looked shit but did anyone else want to see what it looked like when someone dissapeared? youd think it would have croped up in an episode, someone studying cctv footage of someone dissappearing.
>>
>>87731597
and its a great one
>>
>>87731790
That sounds awfully close to an explanation....
>>
>>87731790
It would look fake-ass no matter how hard they try
>>
File: IMG_8709.jpg (136KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8709.jpg
136KB, 1600x1200px
The music in this scene gives me chills everytime
>>
>>87732707
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBZDj4nTFNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fohOet_3XBc

My favorite two scenes of the show
>>
>>87732788
i really can't decide if i like season 1 or 2&3 more. Season 1 was amazing and had much more feels but it feels weird watching it after watching 2&3 considering how much weird shit happens in them.
>>
>>87732923
They felt like two different shows. S1 felt much tighter and told a more coherent story, Kevins arc in 2+3 was great but I didn't care as much about the other characters.
>>
>>87730721
I would like to think that Lindelof learned from that mistake, since that was the episode that literally made the writers realize "Holy shit, we can't possibly keep on dragging this out, we have to work towards an ending"
>>
>>87729494
ha
>>
>>87733152
nah, he didn't learn, we were definitely going to get a tattoo episode
>>
This was the second worst series ending I saw live, behind Lost.

That being said, I loved the scene of Kevin and Nora at the wedding. Kevin sticking with the story of him seeing her past by on a bike and Nora knowing he lying. Then when they get up to dance, don't say anything, are so emotional that they both want to start crying was fucking great.
>>
What was the point of them making another chapter of the bible about Kevin? That storyline went absolutely nowhere
>>
>>87730277
You know what, I thought about this. But what is the point of making up a story about going to the other world then?
>>
>>87733152
it wasn't even the tattoo episode that made them realize they couldn't keep dragging it out. It was nikki and paulo that made them realize that.
>>
>>87733410
I thought the episode was a good epilogue for Kevin and Nora, although it almost ruined the whole show with Nora's story at the end.
>>
>>87731416
... yea its not like season 3 was built around an intentionally vague storyline dealing with a group that was sending people to wherever the 2% went. Or an intentionally vague storyline about God on earth. Or an intentionally vague storyline about kevin sr in austrailia.

the ONLY thing they didn't explain was kevin's inability to die. Thats IT.
>>
>>87732788
kevin reading bible is best thing that ever happened in tv show history
>>
>>87731790
I liked to imagine that no one ever saw it happen and everyone vanished in the split second where no one was looking at them, or even more spooky that anyone who saw someone vanish vanished as well.
>>
>>87734281
Hence why I mentioned the cctv, however this is never brought up, people have clearly scrutinised the event to a huge degree yet you never once see anyone watching footage of the event, its probably one of the core contradictions of the show probably made to avoid "that scene" of a corny, sci fi effect of someone going poof which would fuck with the grounded style of the show, unfortunately you simply cant have your cake and eat it too.
>>
>>87733862
Yeah that scene was kino. I loved the Wayne and Nora scene too.
>>
>>87732788
>>87733862
That passage from Job... I just realized how well it fits the scene where Matt talks with David Burton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgx4EUl5M5g
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.