[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This could be a great movie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 11

File: firewatch-cover.jpg (36KB, 380x540px) Image search: [Google]
firewatch-cover.jpg
36KB, 380x540px
This could be a great movie
>>
>>87706822
a short at max
>>
>>87706822
What a fucking nigger.
>>
Are there any movies with similar aesthetic?
Shit was comfy as fuck
>>
>showing Delilahs face
I really, really don't want this.
Her voice was liquid sex and bubbly joy poured over butter, and I already have an idea of her in my head that I don't want fucked with.

Also, lol at the salty folks upset that the devs attacked thier precious Pewdiepie. This shit is gold
>>
>>87707030
I always imagined she was buttugly
>>
>>87706922
Chinkshit
>>
>>87707118
what did he mean by this
>>
>>87706822
It already is.
>>
>>87707030
why did they attack pewds

also this game has amazing aesthetics like the other anon said
>>
>>87707410
Crouching tiger, that other one. If by "aesthetic" you meant color palette
>>
>>87707460
Pewds said nigger.
>>
>>87707460
he said a naughty word :(
>>
File: ALARM.gif (186KB, 215x161px) Image search: [Google]
ALARM.gif
186KB, 215x161px
>>87707460
He said 'fucking nigger' on a game stream, and suddenly tons of white people got upset and kicked up a fuss as usual.
Campo Santo tried to distance themselves from him by issuing some dmca takedowns on his videos of thier game.
Now, the steam page and everywhere else the game is posted is being bombed with negative reviews
Its all gloriously retarded.
>>
>>87707460
>>87707520
>"pewds"
>the absolute state of nu-/tv/
>>
I could work but the twist at the end would be dissapointing in the movie format. They would have to do something else with Ned.
>>
>>87707637
>"""twist"""
what a dogshit bland ending...
shame, it had great visuals, GOAT ost and decent plot up until the middle...
>>
You tell how shitty a game is when fans want it to be a movie instead.
>>
>>87707712
Its a walking simulator tb h, not really a game
It still was good for what it was
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
>>87707030
>Her voice was liquid sex and bubbly joy poured over butter, and I already have an idea of her in my head that I don't want fucked with.
the actress voicing her is kinda cute anyway
>>
>>87706822
>4chan loves sjw walking simulators now
>>
>>87708083
Whats SJW about this game, /pol/eddit?
>>
>>87706822
>This could be a great movie
Uhm, anon...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/26/firewatch-movie-announced
>>
>>87708323
Read the thread, retard
>>
>>87708533
>muh eceleb trash drama
off yourself for carrying about this and for being unable to distance the "art" from the "artist".
i give zero fucks about the political views of the people behind the game considering none of them are shoehorned in the actual product
>>
>>87706822
then y not make it a movie? they coulda done the same shit a million other fucks since clive barker with hellraiser and so on already did.

Probably would a cost less.

Fuck your walking simulator.
>>
>>87708627
The game itself is "progressive", and you could even argue it's about toxic masculinity
>>
>>87708687
Shitty bait
>>
>>87708786
Shitty brain
>>
>>87708687
How is this game "progressive" exactly?
>>
>"game" slowly builds up a mystery
>main characters start to get paranoid
>oh shit never mind it was just some guy who was out camping when his son died by accident and he decided to never leave
>oh well time to leave summer camp is over
>"game" ends
>>
>>87706822
I disagree for a couple reasons.

1) The plot twist is super polarizing because of how much of a letdown it is. I mean, sure, you could latch onto a conspiracy theory about Delilah and Ned, but you wouldn't ever know if it was true or not.

2) Henry doesn't go through any discernable character arc, at least that I'm aware of. He sorta just pushes his problems under the rug the second he becomes immersed in his summer job, but he doesn't actually learn anything from his experience there. And neither does Delilah from what you can tell.

>>87707030
They could pull off never showing the actress' face for Delilah, but that would probably piss off the audience (like it pissed off a lot of gamers).
>>
>>87706822
Is Pewdiepie the Trump of YouTube?
Every movie he makes is closely monitored and if he trips up even a little, the media burns him at the stake
>>
>>87707460
What everyone else said but the puzzling part was that the stream or the context had literally nothing to do with this game. It was battlegrounds or some other dayz clone he was playing.
>>
>>87708627
>i give zero fucks about the political views of the people behind the game considering none of them are shoehorned in the actual product
While I agree with this in general I don't think there's anything wrong with not giving them your money because you disagree with their decisions in the real world.
>>
Zerosugar must be a fan of this game
>>
>>87709058
It pushed forward new ideas and possibilities for gameplay and story in video games
:^)
>>
>>87706822
>why the fuck am I on /v/
>I'm not on /v/
leave
>>
>>87706822
this game was fucking terrible. the only thing good about it is the art design. The "characters" and the """""""""story"""""""" are fucking terrible.
>>
>>87709639
Great OST too, but thats it
>>
>>87706822
Would rather a TLD movie

FW had shit characters, a shit ending and practically zero story.

Even the partial plotline released in TLD is better by a mile.
>>
>>87706822
>thought this was a forrest ranger or forest firefighter simulator
>it's just some guy who's kid died during a camping trip
>girl cuckteases you through a radio
>>
>>87709805
>TLD
>>
>>87709946
TheLongDark
>>
why didnt i get to fuck delilah

W H Y
>>
>>87709991
because she's fictional and you're at home playing computer games in your underwear instead of socializing outside with other people?
>>
>>87710056
im in my shorts thank you very much

...jerkwad...
>>
>>87709978
whats that
>>
File: 1480658464965.jpg (250KB, 1024x622px) Image search: [Google]
1480658464965.jpg
250KB, 1024x622px
>>87709943
this
>depressed that my wifes mind is fucked
>get sick forest ranger job to distract myself
>talk to cool girl over radio
>she flirts me up
>still depressed about my wife
>convinces me its okay to movie on
>end of game
>wanna get a drink
>wtf no u should be with your wife
>mfw
>>
>>87710117
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3n3nBaKPw
>>
>>87707772
>((((game)))))

It's this dumb requirement of everything in this media having to cater to manchildren that's holding back the medium
>>
>>87708083
neck yourself
>>
>>87710703
Almost as if there are better mediums for telling a non-interactive story.
>>
>>87706822
>dying a cuck
lmao
>>
>>87710347
Any good?
>>
>>87710968
It's almost as if there is literally no other medium that combines art style, music, writing, set design and interactivity that could be used to create true masterpieces of human expression but are instead held back by manchildren demanding their fix of instant dopamine and 1990s nostalgia. You are blind if you don't see the potential of this medium, you are like the people of the past claiming film should never strive for anything beyond being a cheap circus gimmick
>>
>>87711340
Then why are all the walking simulators shit?
>>
>>87711272
Much better than Firewatch.
Still in beta in that storymode is only ~40% released.
Sandbox survival is pretty solid.
>>
Wasn't it already a movie?
>>
>>87711425
I thought it was supposed to be finished. I got an email about a month back that the game had left early accesss.
>>
>>87711436
Hola, /v/eddit

>>87711340
This
>>
>>87711461
>thinking calling people /v/ in a thread dedicated to video games is going to impress anyone

Try harder next time.
>>
>>87711461
>Hola, /v/eddit
>he then proceeds to agree with /v/eddit
You are an outsider
>>
>>87711403
That's why I specified potential. It's not that great at the moment but they are moving in the right direction so I'll encourage it. I'm currently working on my magnum opus at the moment but am having trouble thinking on how to market it because it really isn't a 'game' beyond player interactivity, nor is it a cutscene story frankenstien that so many idiots nowadays think are great
>>
>>87706822
Name a single video game movie that was decent. You can't.
Also why would you watch a movie where nothing happens?
>>
>>87711454
Yeah - I got it on steam winter sale 2016.
That email hyped story mode, but they only released the first 2 episodes of 5 - they quickly patched all the bugs. Still no announcement of a firm date when the remaining episodes will drop.

Better not to rush it, if that means its not a jumbled mess.
>>
>>87711486
>>87711522
Nah, i love video games, i just hate the elitist autists on /v/ who think there wasnt a single good video game released in the 20 years or thats not a weebshit game
>>
>>87711522
>wanting a medium to make better work is reddit

kill yourself you contrarian faggot using your distaste for everything as a facade hiding your insecurities of having no passion or drive for anything beyond shitposting
>>
>>87711603
Manchild
>>
I'm a firefighter. It's already a documentary.

It's pretty accurate, but my dad's friend died with his girlfriend trying to carry her out of the fire.

Look up smokejumpers. If you're not unhappy at the end, you should be. The park and rec department doesn't just try to stop Japanese people from getting killed by the wildlife. It's meant to protect everyone from the worse that could happen.
>>
>>87709058
You have to make progress to actually finish it
>>
>>87706822
No, not really.
First off no movie will ever be made today (big budget/nationally played in theaters) where viewers have to guess the ending based on what they've seen/found/heard. That's also a problem with the medium of film versus games, in the games if you explore nothing your ending will be lackluster. If you choose to take this game as more than the walking simulator that it is, find every nook and cranny, you'll maybe find an ending more satisfying than others.

Also wow what a horribly disappointing game. I searched everything but even that took me some whopping 5 hours tops. This shit was delayed for so long and it had zero pay off. Sure the art is cool, the game LOOKS nice, but does it play well? No. Radio checks and a knock out. Whoa, a corpse!... that's old ad shit. And yeah it's the guy's son.

If you haven't played Firewatch, pay no more than 5 bucks.
>>
>>87711617
I thought the parks and rec department mostly spended their working hours fixing interpersonal relationships and throwing huge parties on government expense.
>>
File: 1394674242538.jpg (8KB, 242x150px) Image search: [Google]
1394674242538.jpg
8KB, 242x150px
>>87711603
>Nah, i love video games
Then you're /v/eddit you fucking dumb nerd
>>87711607
Video Games = "entertainment" sensibility = autism.
This is predominantly an art board (the "entertainment" shit that is constantly being discussed here is a result of crossposters from pleb boards like /co/ and /v/)
True cinema = art which is the opposite to autism and in turn the opposite to video games.
The sensibilities resulting in video game appreciation are diametrically opposed to the appreciation of cinema as "art". Videogames/autism/"entertainment" are the reason for capeshit
>>
>>87711623
You mean walk down the linear path for 3 hours of poorly developed content?
>>
>>87711657
see >>87711340
>>
>>87711534
I understand what you're saying, I'm just skeptical of that potential. Sure in a hypothetical future we could have full VR experiences where it's like you're the protagonist in a movie or other fictional scenario. When will we realistically reach that level if ever is another question. I know more than a little about game design and the amount of work even a modern game takes, let alone if you actually had to factor in all the possibilities that come with interaction are fucking huge. No way it'd ever be commercially viable.

Unless you're just looking to make a choose your own adventure interactive experience which can be done already and is just lame.
>>
>>87706822
My cousin actually did this for a summer in Utah in 2007. Said it was pretty comfy. All he had with him was a bunch of books, some DVDs (Frasier, Northern Exposure, The West Wing) with a tube TV, and a bunch of board games and his guitar for entertainment
>>
>>87711656

Those are the people that don't deserve their paycheck. I suppose I didn't specify.

Smokejumpers are the guys that come in when it's almost impossible to contain a fire. A tailwind could kill you. We have a memorial for a guy that carries three people out and died trying to bring another person out. Smokejumpers have a very proud place in my state that's at least as high as SEALS.
>>
>>87711683
See >>87711657
I am one of the purest distillations of /tv/ on this board and I say that videogames are worthless anti-art sensibility inflected numale pandering meme "entertainment". And anybody who praises them is likely a /v/edditor and has far less of a right to be here than me, someone who would kill for the medium in a heartbeat.
>>
>>87711752
I didn't mean to shit on your profession, sounds like something I'd never do. Parks and rec is a tv show.
>>
>>87711643
>5 hours tops
Huh, really?Yeah, its obviously a pretty short game but i think it took me at least 8-9 hours to finish and from what ive watched on YouTube, ive missed and didnt explore lots of stuff.
Then again, im fucking terrible at navigating and remembering paths so i spend good time backtracking
>>
>>87711643
>took me some whopping 5 hours tops.
You could just play some F2P mmorpg and grind quests for 3 years if you wanted "good value for money". The best games are under 10 hours.
>>
>>87711340
unironically this
>>
>>87711755
Your lack of basic self awareness is astounding, did you even read the post?
>>
>>87711826
That game would have been so much better with a sandbox mode. The game world was beautiful, but you get stuck on the linear path set before you, chasing down the lukewarm narrative.

That meager amount of disappointing content isnt worth the asking price.
>>
>>87711891
You do realize they didn't create a whole open world and then just glue you onto a track, right? If you walked few feet outside that track you'd start to notice untextured surfaces etc. That's kind of the point of linear games, the illusion of being in a bigger environment than you really are.
>>
>>87711826
Yeah man. I mean maybe I didn't turn over every book in the office but from what I remember I really went through it all. I hate when games pull a Metroid and cut you off from an area simply because you don't have an item and that's what this game does to stretch it out, so when I felt contained I explored everything I could. Found all the pets, had (what seemed like in the end) all of the important convos. And when you get the sling I was just as fast because I was still excited. Real disappointment for me.
Though honestly I feel like I should play it through again and just REALLY soak it in. I just might tonight.
>>87711850
So you haven't played a single Witcher game, huh champ?
Fucking WRONG.
>>
>>87711924
Exactly why it should be a $5 game.
>>
>>87711951
But Witcher games are absolutely terrible, what do you mean?
>>
>>87711887
/tv/ is not your home board. That is the only argument required. Videogames caters to an IMDB inflected pedestrian "entertainment" sensibility that is not shared by ANY of authentic /tv/. It's /v/, it's /co/, it's reddit. It's priorities were entertaining audience and sparking social media discussions. Praising it is no different to praising breaking bad. This is an art board. If you're giving a pass to "entertainment" masturbation then you do not belong. This shit is anti-art. If you like them you're not welcome here.
>>
>>87711972
>But Witcher games are absolutely terrible, what do you mean?
???
What is your actual goal here?
>>
>>87711755
You should start using less buzzwords while trying to form any kind of argument, if you want people to take your posts seriously
>>
>>87706822
What do Firewatch fans think of SHITTEDâ„¢?
>>
>>87711969
I haven't played the game so I'm not going to pass judgement on the price point, but $1 per hour is a pretty low price for something that requires a lot of attention to detail. I don't know if they pulled it off with this instance, but something like INSIDE isn't much longer and is absolutely worth the asking price. It's not about how many hours of your life you can waste with the game, but whether $5 an hour or whatever is a reasonable price for the amount of entertainment you receive. A movie is like $10 an hour.
>>
>>87711745
Do you get paid for that?
>>
>>87711744
I just think the interactivy or 'gameplay' can be a powerful tool to tell a story and convey the artist's intent, how an author can command language or an painter with his paintbrush. The biggest problem currently(besides the commercial aspects) is developers writing a story or premise that would work better in other mediums instead of writing and designing specificlly using the strengths of games. If you have to ask yourself, "why am I telling this story through a video game" than you've already failed. Also, I don't think there needs to be a 'story', games should be created to reflect the creators mind wether or not that fits into a neat little narrative
>>
>>87712027
Yeah, $9 an hour is what he made IIRC
>>
File: 1505009706708.jpg (373KB, 675x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1505009706708.jpg
373KB, 675x1125px
>>87706822
mmm babysat off topic /v/ garbage to talk about e-celebs
>>
>>87712062
1 get
>>
>>87711990
Have you played Witcher 3? The game where all quests require you to either follow an objective marker or bat vision? The game which introduces infuriatingly badly designed mechanics like the weapon oils that give literally zero room for creativity but instead force you to go to the menus every 20 hits to reapply the CORRECT (note: not the "best" or "most effective" but CORRECT) one? The game which gives you an invincibility spell so past level ~5 once you get the INFINITE REGEN you cannot ever die even on the most difficult difficulty setting? The game where all combat is literal flowchart that cannot fail?

Yeah, it had some decent voice acting.
>>
>>87712062
How do we get this janitor fired?
>>
>>87712008
Not familiar with Inside - looks like a Little Nightmares clone.

The basic Firewatch comp, imo is The Long Dark. Similar art styles, walking simulators, soundtrack quality. But TLD gives dozens of hours of content without even factoring in the story episodes (still incomplete, but already much longer than Firewatch). Huge open world to explore, actual challenge to be found on the higher difficulty settings, etc.

Its the difference between a cash grab (FW) and a quality game made properly (TLD).
>>
File: full.jpg (83KB, 1023x767px) Image search: [Google]
full.jpg
83KB, 1023x767px
*raises tail*

hnnn... nnnnggggh...

nnnnNNNGGGGGHHH---

PLOP! TTTHRRRPRPRPPHPHPRRRRRBRBRRRRRRRFFFFFTTTTT!!!

FFFRRRRFRFRPPFHFHFFHFFRRRburrblrburbrlebeuburbrrrburrbuebelerburble

BRFFTTTTT

PHHRHTTT- PFFPFFFF-BUBRBURLBURBLEBURBLRBUEBLUBLLBUUBRBRRrbrburblrbfffbffrffff

ppfftt... brrghgrrFFFBBHHBFHRRRRTTTT

FFFFF- GURGLGRUURbuburubruburblebubrbur-PLOP-PLOP-PLOP-PLOP... PLOP...

nngghhhhh... ngAAahh!!!...

nnhhHNNGGGHH- THTHHRRPRPTPHHHFFTTTgurgurburubrburburblebublburbububr- plip- plip drip... drip..

huh... Yaagh! jesus... nggggh...
NUGGETS ARE COMING! GLUNK! SHPLADOOSH! FLEB! PLOP! THUD! BRAPALALAPAPAPAPPAPAPAPAPPPPFFFHHHHhhhsshhhllfgzj SMEHLAY POOPAY FART FART FAR FARRRRRTTAAAYYYNG PPUUUUUPAAAYY YUMAY HAHAHA OH NO MORE BRAAP NUGGETS GLINK GLUNK BLANK SHPLING NOB BUSH PREPHB FLOOB DING GANK THUNK BRAAAAAPAPAPAPAPAPAPPPAAAAAPAPAPABRAAABRAAAABRAAHAHAHAHAAAPPPPPPPPRRRRrrphhhfblsmv SUPAH SMELLAY STINKAY FARTAAAYYYY PARTAYY POOPYPOOPPOOOOOPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPAY SMELLAY STINKAY NASTY NASTY NASTAYYY THE POOPY IS GREEN THE BRAAP NUGGETS ARE GREEN SOME BLOOD ON THEM BRAAAAAAPPP MORE BRAAAP NUGGETS SMELLY! THUNK GIDUNK PLUNK SHPLOOSH SPLAF FLASHHHH SHPLING SHLOOP SHLOP SHLIM DUNKSH SHPLISH DUNgk FARRTTTAY SMELLLAY POOOOOPOOOPAY BRAAP NUGGETS I SHOULDNTA HAD DEM BRAAPACHINO
NGGUUUHH!! FRRFRRRRPPPHHTTTTT... hngh... PLOP! SPLASH!

hhh.... hhh....

hhhuuuhhh... fuck....

ugh...

*flush*

um uh ohhhhhh

anyone have a plunger xD
>>
>>87712028
I understand the possibilities that would come with an artificial world where you're free to act and the environment reacts to your actions, but until we reached a point where such a thing is
a. possible
b. commercially viable
video games are an inferior medium for telling a story compared to movies or books. No face capture is ever the same as a real actor. No graphics engine looks as realistic as actual film recordings.

The only thing games are good for in today's world are reaction tests and/or pattern recognition tests which is pretty much what they are.
>>
The biggest problem of the game is the price.
Its great game for what it is, and obviously lots of hard work was put in it, but 20 euros is too much, especially in such competitive market, where you can get thousands of ours for free with some moba shit like Dota or LoL.
It most certainly is worth a buy if you get it in a sale for like 10 euros, even if just for the great art, score and voice acting.those completely made up for the underwhelming story for me
>>
>>87712092
Jesus. Did you only play it at launch by chance? I wasn't crazy about it then either.
But fuck man you're acting like you just HAD to slap some killer oil on. That is an option. An actually good one, as it makes players say "Okay I can't just stab everything I have to read about how to kill them and make that oil". I liked that.
If that isn't your game, then it isn't your game. Ever played TW2? I'd honestly love to hear your opinion on that if you hated TW3 that much.
Also common be honest, there is no invincibility spell. What do you mean, Swallow? White Rafford's? Even they can't save if you waste them in fights and don't replenish.
>>
>>87712158
INSIDE is the spiritual successor to LIMBO, both games that came out before little nightmares.

I fully believe you that TLD is a better game with FW, I'm disagreeing with the idea that a 5 hour game couldn't be worth $20. If a game, even a linear one, is created with such attention to detail that every moment of playing it feels immersive and engaging then $4 an hour is a completely reasonable asking price in my mind.
>>
>>87711951
>pets
wew lad, i didnt even know that was a thing.
im terrible at exploration in games, as i said already im shit at navigating and backtracking and usually i get so carried away by story/hype for the next level/encounter/etc, that i just rush through everything to continue the narrative.
I pretty much miss 99% of the easter eggs in most games i play.And collectables are my doom
>>
>>87712163
This is the high quality level of posting I've come to expect from /tv/
>>
>>87711988
Who hurt you?
>>
>>87712237
In a vacuum perhaps.

But gaming prices do not exist in a vacuum.

You compare value based on prices of content available in other similar games. $4 per hour of content isnt terrible, unless a superior title offers equal or better content at $0.25/hour
>>
>he's online right now keeping this thread up
hahahaha
>>
>>87712055
Thought it was volunteering and they just cover your living and expenses while there
Pretty sweet deal in that case
>>
>>87712330
Depends on where I think. He had already worked for the forest service before too. But yeah, it was great apparently.
>>
>>87712214
No I played it after the second DLC got released.
>you're acting like you just HAD to slap some killer oil on. That is an option.
You're given infinite refills of the oils. I know you can try to say it's not REQUIRED but if I can keep up dmg of +100% for every hit I make why the fuck would I not do that, when the refills are infinite? The answer is because it's made incredibly tedious to reapply them, and that's not a very good answer. I just kept reapplying them until I stopped playing because the game was shit.
>Okay I can't just stab everything I have to read about how to kill them and make that oil
I got pretty much every oil in the game just by crafting everything that was possible whenever highligted in the crafting menu. I would've been fine with the oils if it had some degree of flexibility like "this is a good oil for spiders, but it's not a good to use with axes. This one does half the damage against humans, but triples your sword speed" whatever. But it's literally just "check enemy type -> apply correct oil".

I didn't play 1 or 2 because at the time the controls for combat didn't look very good.
>Also common be honest, there is no invincibility spell. What do you mean
I mean the combination of giving you a spell on a 7 second cooldown that makes it literally impossible to be one shot by anything, then coupling that up with infinitely refilling regen potions. Nothing can kill you on the first blow, and if you take that blow you can just back up and regen, then go fight again with the shield up. Everything about how the combat was designed was just bad.
>>
>>87712276
>wew lad, i didnt even know that was a thing.
Well don't get too excited, they don't do a lot. Basically while you're walking you can snag an animal and talk to the chick about what to name it. Turt Reynolds.
They're in your house but that's about it.
>I pretty much miss 99% of the easter eggs in most games i play.And collectables are my doom
Shit man you gotta just take more time I guess.
>>
>>87712028
Few games do this well like Bioshock and Stanley Parable, for example.
The majority is exactly what you described - people not realizing that they actually want to make a movie, shoehorning their idea into a game and ending up with bland "walking simulator"
>>
>>87712325
Its not an offtopic thread, faggot
>>
>>87712315
>$4 per hour of content isnt terrible, unless a superior title offers equal or better content at $0.25/hour
Sure in theory, but how many of those games are there really? I know there are plenty of games that give you 100 hours for $20, shit I've spent over 2000 hours in dota and it's free. But not all time spent gaming is equal.

$4 an hour for a short experience where every screen feels like it had huge amount of time put into it to make it just right (like in INSIDE) feels like a good deal, but 4$ an hour for some "go kill 20 boars and return with 10 boar teeth" generic grind quests would feel like a scam. When I was younger I was also in the mindset that games are about asking price divided by total playtime but as I got older and my time actually became somewhat valuable I've realized that the games I want are the ones that have packed the most amount of quality into the least amount of hours. Increasing playtime isn't a good thing. It only brings up the price, as time is a commodity.
>>
>the state of reddi/tv/
>>
>>87712395
>people not realizing that they actually want to make a movie, shoehorning their idea into a game and ending up with bland "walking simulator"

these are the worst of them, I'll rather play a bland pixel platformer than this trash. It's insulting to the medium(not like it has much respect as it is, but still) and needs to be changed. I'm not the first to bring up this issue, the disconnect between narrative and gameplay is a plaque in the industry
>>
>>87712390
To your entire top half, my honest best recommendation is to play TW2. For one, you cannot apply oils whenever you want. You pretty much have to know what you're going into and while meditating, apply oils and potions, then go in hoping you did enough.
Now like you said the controls for combat take getting used to, especially if you already played TW3. Just ignore that one entirely, seems like you want to anyways.

>I mean the combination of giving you a spell on a 7 second cooldown that makes it literally impossible to be one shot by anything
Quen isn't absurd. It's your choice to use a shield rather than an attack. You'll learn this ESPECIALLY in TW2, where casting signs decrease damage while they're active.
>infinitely refilling regen potions
These also literally kill you. Not quite infinite when they have a max cap.
>Nothing can kill you on the first blow, and if you take that blow you can just back up and regen, then go fight again with the shield up. Everything about how the combat was designed was just bad.
I get it. Honestly want to bet you were playing on an easy difficulty if you found it THAT easy. Yes, the game gives you many handouts, the choice is whether or not you know/use them. Your speak of infinite potions has me thinking low difficulty because that simply isn't the case for me. Try it again later, but it seems like you may like 2 a lot more.
>>
>>87712520
Well to be specific then:

Bought Firewatch on sale for $12. Have 4 hours logged. Never once hd any desire to play through the story again.

Bought The Long Dark on Sale for $10. Have 294 hours logged. Still working my way through the new story episodes. Have two sandbox games ongoing at different difficulties. Completed all the challenge modes. Working on collecting my last two survival badges for shits&giggles. The last update added more easter eggs that I'll probably never get around to searching for. Plus, there's at least 3 more story episodes still to be released.
>>
>>87707572
[spoiler/]Those two anons are indeed autistic but the guy does actually put out some decent content since he said 'fuck it, I can do whatever I want at this point'.
>>
>>87712654
I started on the second to hardest difficulty then upped it to the hardest when I hadn't died in like 20 hours. I didn't die from that point onwards until I stopped playing at ~50 hours.
>These also literally kill you. Not quite infinite when they have a max cap.
You really have to do something stupid to OD on the potions, never happened to me. In practice you get infinite dwarven spirit (that's the one, right?) and you can rest practically any time. So ok you can only carry 5+5 of them, but you can stop to refill them wherever for as many times as you want.
>Yes, the game gives you many handouts, the choice is whether or not you know/use them.
I understand that, but that's just bad game design. Every fight is beatable by following this flowchart:

Do you have shield up?
-> no -> put up shield
-> yes
Has the mana bar refilled
-> no -> keep rolling
-> yes
Is the shield still up?
-> no -> recast shield
-> yes -> cast an offensive spell

Repeat.

Ok, I can stop myself from doing this, but implementing all these mechanics that make it boringly easy to beat the game then telling me to "just not use them" is incredibly bad game design.

I literally only died prior to level 7(?), which is when I got the regen potions. Up until that point I had been surviving on food, and it was actually incredibly tense and enjoyable. I remember having a save point in the woods with like 1/10 of the HP bar left and no food at all (and no regen potions to refill) and had to find my way to a town dodging all enemies. That was fun. Always being 100% HP with a magic shield isn't fun.

Then there's the problem I addressed earlier
>all quests require you to either follow an objective marker or bat vision

It does have good writing for a video game and good voice acting, and I thoroughly enjoyed the flavor text I found. I would even purchase the books that gave you the fast traveling points not because I wanted to fast travel, but because I found the flavor texts interesting.
>>
Life is Strange is actual kino
Fuck off
>>
>>87712668
Well sure sounds like I should check out TLD at some point. It's been on my wishlist for quite some time which is why I got that email about it leaving early access. I'm just a little worried I've grown tired of the whole survival and crafting thing, though.
>>
>>87712867
respek wamen
www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Wp0VJlcHA
>>
File: 1505074209695.jpg (36KB, 603x101px) Image search: [Google]
1505074209695.jpg
36KB, 603x101px
>>87712939
Go home cancer
>>
>>87712946
Well it is survival. The crafting aspect is minimal, but crucial. Its mostly about navigation and resource management.
>>
>>87712875
If you're still here. I recommend again. The Witcher 2.
>>
>>87709423
He said "progressive" not progressive
>>
>>87714028
I've actually been thinking of the books, since like I said I really enjoyed the world they built, just not the gameplay. Though I'm not at all sure if the books have similiar writing or if they're more just inspiration for the world.
>>
>>87714202
Well okay this is a different world entirely dude.

I will tell you I've only STARTED reading the first book. But from what I know, you know how it seems every "chapter" is Geralt doing his own thing? Don't expect that in ANY game. Now how they were made.

I haven't gotten to the point in the book story where the books and games align. But come on man. Just know they're different, okay?

TW2 is REALLY good, if you have patience. And I have the feeling you do. Play on hard as fuck. I believe in you, anon.
>>
>>87712867
>he's edgy and ironic now, just like me xDD
no idea how how this make his content "decent"
>>
>>87712939
>Life is Tumblr
you have to go back
>>
>>87714365
Its a great game, shitlord
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF7kwU3iTsw
>>
>>87714281
Is the writing style similiar to the games? I know the books are written in Polish and I'm pretty sure the first game was translated too, maybe TW2 as well.
>>
>>87714410
Stupid bottle
>>
>>87714479
Well I don't know how to compare them, honestly. Again I've barely started the first book.

It *seemed* similar in terms of "Geralt is getting his fudge packed in* even though we all know in the end he will solve the issue.

The book is so far fun. I recommend. But as for games, TW2 is easily the best. ROCHE.
>>
>>87714533
Witcher a shit
>>
>>87709374
It's just a idiot liberal developer trying to get his good boy points for fighting racism, it all seems to have backfired on him though.
>>
File: r00.jpg (44KB, 633x312px) Image search: [Google]
r00.jpg
44KB, 633x312px
>>87712510
>>
File: wolfenstein 2.jpg (512KB, 1200x1476px) Image search: [Google]
wolfenstein 2.jpg
512KB, 1200x1476px
>>87707030
>>87707460
I wonder if PewDiePie will do a Let's Play of Wolfenstein 2.
>>
>>87706822

Surprised the mods haven't deleted this thread since they're deleting the Faraci threads.
>>
>>87712062
>>
So can i post ponies here without getting in trouble?
>>
>>87715906
yes.
>>
>>87715968
Good, cause I have got some interesting pictures of Sunset I'd like to share with you all
>>
>>87707030
>attacked

They were just SJWs, fuck them.
>>
>>87716133
>using "SJW" in 2017
yikes...
>>
>>87706822
This could've been good if it wasn't for the shit and obviously rushed ending
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.