[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you adapt it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 37

File: Untitled_collage.jpg (595KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_collage.jpg
595KB, 2000x2000px
Could you adapt it?
>>
Dragon Ball? Definitely, martial arts and adventure are well worn territory for film, it would only take a competent director who can adapt them without ignoring the more cartoony elements and tone of DB.
Z and after would be pretty much impossible to film, since CGI flight and ki blasts would make for horrendous action sequences
>>
>>87425447
No, dont try again
>>
Depends on what arc
>>
>Plague of gripes spent half a fucking hour whining about how Tien wasn't the toughest coolest guy on the team
>>
>>87425896
after what we know is possible with avatar or michael bay if he gave a shit, a condensed frieza trilogy could absolutely work
>>
>>87426122
Android/Cell sagas were better
>>
>>87426122
They could do it like Pirates II and III where they shot them at the same time for consistency and then just released one per year.

If a good director/writer team was on board, the studio didn't meddle too much, and they had legit choreographed fight scenes I think it could happen.
>>
File: 1481568774017.png (572KB, 598x607px) Image search: [Google]
1481568774017.png
572KB, 598x607px
>>87426208

>/a/ on /tv/
>>
make it a light hearted comdy/action movie about kid goku, preteen bulma, and kid krillian.

they're looking for the last dragon ball, and find it as the prize in a martial arts tournament.

goku and krillin have mostly comedic fights against joke opponents. then there are 2 legit antagonists. one is a martial arts champion. he doesn't know what the dargon ball really is. feels insulted to have be in a tournament full of clowns and children at first. then he starts respecting goku and krillin. then there is the nameless namekian. the mysterious green man that quickly and brutally defeats his opponents. he knows what the dragon balls are.
>>
File: 1504639023540.png (162KB, 443x451px) Image search: [Google]
1504639023540.png
162KB, 443x451px
>>87426099
Well, he was more whining at how retarded they made him in all of super by not using or mentioning his vast array of techniques. Meanwhile everyone else DID get a Toriyama wankjob.
>>
DragonBall could definitely work. I don't know if I would start off directly with the freeza saga. Saiyan arc is pushing it.
>>
>>87425447
Yeah, that's not all that hard. You just have to know what inspired Akira, and you'll be able to match the intended tone.
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 326x290px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 326x290px
>>87425447
do you think they would allow this scene in?
>>
>>87426503
Dragonball is so entrenched in usa culture that they wouldn't even have to do much back story for any of this. It would be a film to cash in on the fans that have come back for super and the other animated films that have come out recently and for any new fans who started with super/are rediscovering their love for dragonball. You just have to tell the story concisely so it fits into one and maybe two films.
>>
Is Android 18 white
>>
Is there such a thing as a manga that's completely and utterly unadaptable?
>>
>>87426724
you're a big bone.
>>
File: 960.jpg (84KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
84KB, 960x540px
Make a trilogy.

>Dragon Ball
Adapts the Demon King Piccolo saga while throwing in concepts and parts of other DB sagas. Specifically make the Red Ribbon Army a 3rd faction chasing the dragonballs alongside Piccolo and Goku. Make Pilaf the joke villain as he is in the original anime saga. Also include the basics that Dragonball establishes. Bulma and Goku meeting, training with the Turtle Hermit, and one of the Budukais. All set to the backdrop of the Piccolo Saga.
Age Goku up quite a bit. Maybe make him ~14-16 and Bulma a few years older.

>Dragon Ball Z
Adapt mainly the Saiyan Saga. Stay a bit more true to the anime with the plot.

>Dragon Ball: The Frieza Saga
Adapts, obviously, the Frieza Saga and the Namek saga. Again, keep this one pretty close to the anime and straight forward with the story telling. Maybe tease a Cell Saga movie after the credits, but never follow up on it. The trilogy would be much more satisfying ending here.

The main goal of the movies should be to replicate the Dragonball feeling as closely as possible. Get the Henson Creature Shop to do all non-ki effects. Think a more colorful Dark Crystal for reference.
>>
>>87425447
>Could you adapt it?

Sure. I thought Capeshit or Game of thrones was retarded but Ive seen enough decent ones.

In particular a TV series about the whole Krillen and Gohan on Namek and avoiding getting their shit kicked in and hiding could easily be done with a tone like a Star Wars movie and affects like a Capeshit movie.
>>
>>87426724
Berserk because they either cut things or don't get the right people to do it.

>97 anime is almost perfect apart from using colorized still frames of the manga in place of animation
>doesn't have Wylad
>no Skull Knight
>that cliff hanger which is actually great imo
>CGI movies have janky animation but were getting better as they made it
>2016 Berserk doesn't have Lost Children
>2016 is god awful cg that even Reboot and Beast Wars looks better

97 is one of my favorite animes so I'm biased.
>>
File: History of Trunks.png (649KB, 1071x653px) Image search: [Google]
History of Trunks.png
649KB, 1071x653px
>>
>>87426099
To be fair, it is odd that a character who was consciously included this big story arc was given so little attention compared to everyone else
If they were only going to give Tien the smallest of character developments and bare bones fights, why didn't they just give his spot to an actual joke character like Yamcha
>>
>>87427282
>gohan played by idris Elba and trunks played by jaden smith.
NO
NONONONOONONONONOOONONONOONOONOOOBONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT!
>>
>>87426678
>Blond hair
>Blue eyes
>Alabaster skin
What do you think
>>
Treat it like Harry Potter...

Movie 1:
>Bulma finds Goku
>Hunt Begins
>Find Oolong, Yamcha, Puar, Roshi, Tien, Baba.
>Each fight better than the last.
>Crane Hermit is also hunting the dragon balls. (for RRA)
>Tien is final fight, Goku loses.
>Tien barely wins, invites Goku to Boudokai

Movie 2: Boudokai
>Everyone is back
>Krillin and Goku Meet and Train with Roshi
>Red Ribbon awakens Piccolo while they hunt for Dragonballs
>Piccolo interrupts final Boudokai Battle
>Goku/Jackie Chun defeat Piccolo who all team up to defeat RRA.
>Gero vows revenge on Piccolo/Goku

Movie 3:
>Saiyan Saga
>Basically Man Of Steel

Movie 4:
>Freeza Saga
>Ginyu Squad is already on Namek with Freeza
>Vegeta destroys Namek to kill Freeza.
>Kills Goku in the process.
>Everyone's pissed at Vegeta.
>The greater good
>Team resurrects Namek, turns out Goku's not dead.
>Ends With Future Trunks Tease

Movie 5:
>Future Trunks/Androids
>Opens with Future Trunks timeline, Gohan dies.
>Gero's Revenge
>Goku is not incapacitated, but defeated by Androids
>Team is completely overwhelmed by Androids
>Ends with Cell absorbing androids.
>"You have 5 days"

Movie 6:
>Cell
>No Cell Jr, just good old fashioned rocky 4.
>Goku dies for reals during final assault.

Movie 7:
>Cash grab Buu saga.
>This begins the next "Phase"

All shot in motion capture.
>>
File: 1414875515879.png (300KB, 643x480px) Image search: [Google]
1414875515879.png
300KB, 643x480px
>>87427684
>All shot in motion capture.

Did you try to make a long post just to completely shit on it at the end?
>>
>>87427684
You put a lot of thought into something no one will read.
>>
>>87427730
Yes. Only way for it to work though.
I also need 200mil per movie, but it's guaranteed at least 45mil box office.
>>
>>87426339
10/10 will never happen
>>
>>87426890
>>87426122

Not Bay or Cameron - whoever does Guardians of the Galaxy. Blue people and Green people, comic relief and whatnot.
>>
>>87425447
absolutely

you'd have to completely disregard saiyan hair genetics tho, every character other than goku has realistic asian hair
and if you had complete license for violence and adult humor particular to dragonball, absolutely yes.
>>
>>87426339
this but as a 17 episode netflix series.
>>
File: android 18.jpg (46KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
android 18.jpg
46KB, 736x552px
>>87427404
What about now
>>
>>87425447
Casting Goku will always be the hardest part, along with makeup/costumes

But otherwise it's very doable. My dream adaptation would go like this
>trilogy of films

>first film directed by Spielberg
>humerous adventure film, similar tone to marvel capeshit (probably more light-hearted actually), but a genuine fantastical adventure as kid Goku meets Bulma and they go on a worldwide hunt for the dragonballs in a race against the red ribbon army. Film ends with Goku accidentally meeting and killing King Piccolo

>second film directed by Ang Lee
>early adult Goku enters the world martial arts tournament as, after he was born, Piccolo very quickly gathered 6 of the dragonballs and the last one is the prize for the martial arts tournament. It would be a martial arts film at its core, like a pg-13 version of the Raid. But tonally it would still be very surreal and have lots of light-hearted moments

>third film directed by Gareth Evans
>literally a pg-13 version of the Raid but with kai, aliens and explosions. Goku and Piccolo must team up to stop the Saiyan invasion of earth.

>trilogy acts as a metaphor for growing up. In the first film the world is bright and fun with talking animals and yellow clouds. In the last film, there's not much dialogue and a lot of fighting and destruction and grey skies
>>
>>87425447
3 movies for Dragon Ball

1st goes mostly follows the first arc, cut fluff episodes and make Pilaf somehow responsible for fires under Ox's castle. End with climatic wish on dragon and Goku saying he's going to train with Roshi.

Mix the two arc and the first tournament arc for 2nd movie. Start 2nd movie with Goku looking for Roshi but instead he runs into Tso who is doing kidnapping Chi-Chi to coerce the Ox King and Goku stops him but accidentally kills him in the process. He finds Roshi and trains for the tournament which is mix of the first 2 tourneys but ends similarly to the second with Tien defeating Goku but first renouncing his master. It ends with them eating together in a group laughing.

Movie starts with Krillan's death and plays out as a quickened version of the King Piccolo Arc. Instead of Tambourine killing Krillan, Piccolo kills Krillan, Roshi and Chiaotzu right off the bat while looking to grab Goku's Dragon Ball. Goku discovers the discovers his dead friends and the missing Dragon Ball and runs after Piccolo, fights him and loses but is saved last second by Yajarobe. Piccolo looks to find the rest of the balls while Tien and the gang try go to Roshi's to find out who Piccolo is and how to defeating him.
I
>>
you have to realize that the humor is different. would you show a kid goku genitals along with a 14 year old goku grabbing bulmas breast confusing them by dragon balls. Now for 3rd world countries this i no problem but for USA politically correct you cant even show a nipple.
>>
>>87431855
Yajarobe takes Goku to his master Corrin to heal then train then take the holy water. Bulma researches who Piccolo is and finds a scroll with the evil containment wave which Tien steals. Piccolo takes over the country, and them fights Tien and the Goku who triumph. Either end series here or tease the birth of Piccolo Jr.
>>
>>87425447
Have it be a sequel to Evolution which tells the events of the first season of Z
>>
>>87430617
autism
>>
I came up with most of a 6-film series for Dragon Ball alone, partly for the simplicity of adapting the series with its arcs being so clear-cut and fast-paced that they can easily fit into 2-hour films. The problem is America doesn't give a shit about Dragon Ball, and Evolution ruined it for any casuals who were aware there's something before Z, so it would take forever to get into a Z series.

>Dragon Ball Part I
Don't really know how I'd do this one exactly, since we'd have to introduce Goku, Bulma, Oolong, Yamcha, and Pilaf's crew. I guess we'd set the film up with the aftermath of Burdock and Gine sending Goku to Earth, with a silhouette of the Great Ape killing Gohan during opening credits, then move onto Goku meeting Bulma, following the manga as closely as possible (without showing Goku's cock). Then somehow burn through the Oolong mini-arc, possibly skipping his transformation powers because they don't exist past Pu'ar's appearance anyway. The second act would be mostly Yamcha shit while also trying to wedge Pilaf into it, and the big battle would be against Pilaf with Goku transforming into the Great Ape. Chichi would be here somewhere. I guess have a montage of Dragon Ball collection, so we can get based Monster Carrot in there too.

>Dragon Ball Part II
Roshi. Krillin. Lunch. Tournament. Jackie Chun. The films would be violent enough that they'll be PG-13 regardless (which is basically a children's rating now, what with all the capeshit), so we can get away with Ranfan stripping and Bulma flashing Roshi (if we obscure enough of her ass that audiences can tell she's nopan.

>Dragon Ball Part III
Red Ribbon arc. Use a shitty montage for Goku's progress through the tower, throw Taopaipai into a chunk of the second act, and have the third just be Goku cleaning up at the main base.

>Dragon Ball Part IV
Another tournament, this time with Tien, with focus on the Crane school versus the Turtle school.

>Dragon Ball Part V
King Piccolo.
>>
>>87425447
into a netflix superhero marvel show easily
>>
>>87432853
>Dragon Ball Part VI
Piccolo Jr., but he doesn't go giant so we don't have to deal with the fact that he can't transform to fight Raditz later. Have a faggot post-credits scene of Raditz, Nappa, and Vegeta in space while the Son family is enjoying peace away from Piccolo's evil.

>Dragon Ball Z Part I
Saiyan arc in its entirety. Probably skip Saiyamen and just have Nappa fuck everyone up. Cut between Goku training with King Kai while the others fight Nappa, I guess.

>Dragon Ball Z Part II
Namek saga, maybe skipping Zarbon and Dodoria, but definitely including the Ginyu Force.

>Dragon Ball Z Part III
Frieza arc with the "5 minutes" only barely stretched past an actual 5 minutes. Have a fake ending with main cast credits before going into a condensed Trunks arc.

Then a trilogy for Androids 19/20, Androids 16/17/18 and Cell, and for Cell Games. And another featuring World Tournament + Dabura and co., Super Buu and his absorptions (ending with Potara tease), and a finale with Vegito's fight and Kid Buu.

Anyone is free to condense these further into less than 15 films, but I think it would be too messy to cut out too much of the whole series, unless the plan is to make as few films as possible. A single film versus Freeza would be good, but it would make little sense without Vegeta being set up, or Raditz before him, or Piccolo Jr. before him. I don't think King Piccolo is really necessary for DBZ, though. Hell, a DBZ movie could be made coming off of Evolution
>>
>>87432411
>thread about if dragonball could be adapted
>write outline of my perfect adaptation
>"omg how autistic"
what did he mean by this?
>>
File: 0086-007.jpg (293KB, 853x1200px) Image search: [Google]
0086-007.jpg
293KB, 853x1200px
>>87426770
4U
>>87426724
Garouden would be easier to adapt and the fight against Tsutsumi would be pure kino.
>>
File: 1501786907042-1833x1186.png (3MB, 1833x1186px) Image search: [Google]
1501786907042-1833x1186.png
3MB, 1833x1186px
Make it happen
>>
>>87432853
>>87432954
>6 whole movies just to reach Z

Waaaay over the top. That just overkill at that point.

Realistically you don't need more than one DB film before going into Z territory. People aren't here for an entire movie about Tien. They want ki blasts and super Saiyans.

Do what this guy said
>>87426810
>>
How would they do goku's hair?
>>
File: Goku_by_Gokuthebest.jpg (32KB, 400x601px) Image search: [Google]
Goku_by_Gokuthebest.jpg
32KB, 400x601px
Looks fucking ridiculous
>>
>>87434456
I wouldn't let this faggot play Mr Popo
>>
>>87436494
He would make a great King Piccolo.

They carry themselves the exact same way. I actually hate Dwane Johnson as an actor, but imagining his booming voice representing King Piccolo is just too spot on.
Probably recast piccolo jr though. Jr is much more collected and carries himself a completely different way
>>
>>87436477
Only looks rediculous because that guy is ugly as fuck. That hair could definitely work on the right face. Especially if there was an entire studio worth of effort put into it.
>>
>>87436576
No it's because no human has hair that naturally grows in that shape. Goku's hair wasn't kept up by gel.
>>
>>87437140
You don't really think that a hair style has to BE natural to LOOK natural, do you?
>>
>>87437198
I'm not a hairstylist but I don't know how you could comb hair into that shape and still make it look natural.
>>
>Take the fights from Reloaded/Revolutions + Man of Steel.
>Tone of GOTG (live action DBZ would be campy as fuck, so embrace it)
>>
>>87437357
This
>>
>>87427358
>HBO
Trunks would be lusting for Chadhan's dick in every scene.
>>
>>87426339
>preteen bulma
what's wrong with you
>>
>>87426208
This
>>
>>87438215
Young Bulma is pure sex.
>>
i don't think dragonball would work as films. getting the tone, cast, universe etc. right and concise would be near impossible.

dragon ball z however, could easily be made into live action films imo

2h40m each, trilogy; one frieza film, one cell film, one buu film.
you would need great screenwriters, who could condense certain characters into each other, and speed up the plot. you would also need to take certain elements out of the story, such as the red ribbon saga, and the excessive early goku/vegeta fights.
i would also have piccolo start as a good guy desu.
>>
>>87426208
Saiyaman/World Tournament sagas were best.
>>
>>87438417
But that's prime bulma right there. She wasn't even a preteen in the show.
>>
>>87438463
>Getting the tone and cast right would be near impossible

Everyone keeps saying this but >>87426810 already fixed this problem last night.

Jim Henson Creature Shop portraying all the monsters, dinosaurs, costumes, etc would look AMAZING and hit the tone just right.

CG would never be the way to go for Dragonball, but I see spectacular puppetry working perfectly for the franchise
>>
>>87438535
No, they didn't. This doesn't address casting at all.
>>
>>87438602
Oh yeah true. Fixes the tone problem though. Casting would still be tricky.

The only one I can imediately agree with is Dwane Johnson as the Demon King. Everyone else gets a bit tricky.

I have seen someone in the past suggest the new Spiderman kid as Chiaotzu, which I can ALMOST see. Maybe he could actually make a good DB-era goku
>>
Who would be playing Yamcha, aka the biggest loser in the DB universe?
>>
>>87438702
lol Yamcha cucked the shit out of Vegeta and then went on to be a pro baseball player
>>
>>87438702
Zac Efron
>>
>>87438735
He'd make a better Tien or even Goku
>>
>>87438732
>cucked the shit out of Vegeta
In which universe? I mean he got killed by Vegeta and then Vegeta stole his gf.
>>
>>87425447
Jonah Hill as Yajirobe

Gary Oldman as Master Roshi
>>
>>87425447
Yeah, I'd just do what Del Taco did with Hellboy.
>be respectful to the source material, but throw out the shit that wouldn't work
>use mainly practical effects & costumes where possible
>only hire actors that would actually fit the characters
I'd also do a shit saga, like Emperor Pilaf. Probably a safer bet than doing a fan favourite.
>>
File: Vegeta.jpg (84KB, 300x220px) Image search: [Google]
Vegeta.jpg
84KB, 300x220px
>angry manlet always ranks #1 in female popularity pools
What did they mean by this
>>
>>87438926
im imagining Gerard Butler as Vegeta, huge spiky hair, asshole grin and all and im laughing my ass off
>>
Show me 1 (ONE) good example of a movie with CG convincing and good enough for the style of fighting needed for DB
>>
>>87439150
The answer for ki blasts is and always has been Man of Steel

Any other effects should be practical.
>>
>>87439150
Speed Racer
>>
>>87426724
Tell me something like this could be adapted
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8bWwBxLxSs
>>
>>87439179
>>87439254
It's impossible to make a super saiyan or even a fucking kamehameha without it looking like a youtube college clip
>>
>>87439387
Why would a Kamehameha look any worse than a generic Hollywood laser?
>>
>>87425447
Probably. You have 6 arcs in the original Dragon Ball. They follow a pattern of adventure -> tournament. The simplest way to tackle this is to have two arcs each season. The hardest part to find a place for is Red Ribbon. Which is strange since it's treated like Dragon Ball's Holy Grail.

You could try to merge it with the first arc, but Goku might be going on too much of an adventure too soon, and following it up with the lowest stakes tournament of the three doesn't sound like a good idea. Try putting at the start of season 2? Maybe. The transition to from Red Ribbon to the 22nd TB just doesn't flow though. The stinger at the end with Krillin dead would be great though as a season finale. That being said, I still think opening the season with the early episodes focused on Tenshinhan as the antagonist only to completely flip the switch and go into the Goku-Tien team up in Piccolo Daimao would work better. Having the tournament at the end of each season diminishes the value of it when the stakes are so high the third time.

It's just that, if I were to dedicate a whole season to one arc, I wouldn't pick Red Ribbon unless we made it the very first season. I would pick the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai. Everything coming to a head with season-long build up and one of the most draining fights in the series. I'm racking my brain with how to find a place for it.
>>
>>87438215
she was 16 there. Goku was 14
>>
>>87440413
I know. What do you think preteen means? Before 18?
>>
>>87438926
>Pussy whipped in the end
dunno what do you think
>>
File: Meme.jpg (40KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
Meme.jpg
40KB, 590x350px
To make a meme movie you need the king of memes
>>
File: idris elba.jpg (120KB, 768x1152px) Image search: [Google]
idris elba.jpg
120KB, 768x1152px
>>
>>87440513
preteen is before 13 dude. BEFORE your teens.
>>
make the fights same as in kung fu hustle
>>
>>87426208
Cell Saga was the worst of Z.
>>
>>87441397
That was my point though,
>>
>>87426810
Good luck making the characters not look like the worst thing ever. How the hell do you do Ginyu? Piccolo? Vegeta? Krillin? Frieza? Nappa? Tien? Choutzu?
It's as much of a stretch as doing a live action Mickey Mouse movie imo, it would just look really, really wrong. You can't even make Edward Eric look like a normal person in live action, what makes people think you could faithfully translate Goku?
>>
>>87441397
My point is Bulma was never preteen in the anime or manga.
>>
>>87426810
>splitting up saiyan and Freeza sagas, while trying to do all of DB in one.

There is too much DB to cover in one movie. Especially if you want to throw in a Budokai too.
>>
File: front.jpg (364KB, 1980x1049px) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
364KB, 1980x1049px
Cast
>Goku- Chris Evans, Chris Pine
>Vegeta- Jaquine Pheonix, Karl Urban
>Piccolo- Anthony Mackie
>Bulma- Deborah Ann Woll

Style of Action
>Since the Z fighters move faster than the eye can see, it should be high speed fighting with moments of slowing down motion, then down to actual slow-mo.
>Matrix style

Effects
>The characters should be slightly mo-cap.
>The world should be as practical as possible.
>Puppets and make up for the most part.
>Sound should be as good as Dunkirk.

Movie 1
>Vegeta and Napa arrive, Z fighters fight them off.

Movie 2
>Frieza Saga

Movie 3 part 1
>Android Saga

Movie 3 part 2 (cause they do that shit now)
>Cell Games

Then go back to Dragon Ball as prequels.
>>
>>87425939
DB =/= DBZ

>>87426208
Millennials should not be allowed to post
>>
>>87442012
Funny, that's my point too.
>>
>>87426724
>Is there such a thing as a manga that's completely and utterly unadaptable?
Boku no Pico or any story regarding offensive/controversial subjects like Pedophilia, incest, rape, etc....
>>
>>87442502
It literally got adapted into an anime
>>
>>87442012
I just realized I was quoting the wrong person.
>>
>>87442562
I mean adaptable to Hollywood movies
>>
>>87442621
I just realized that nobody got that I was quoting this guy when I mentioned preteen >>87426339
>>
>>87441846
>Ginyu
>Piccolo
Have you seen Henson prosthetics and makeup? It could look phenominal. The aliens are the least of the problems.

The biggest issue is just casting appropriately
>>
>>87442206
I don't think having the 1st movie about the vegeta fight is gonna work. That saga was good because we know all the characters and then have to watch them die. Piccolo goes from the bad guy to the good guy, etc. Not having the back stories about these characters and it'll just be a fight movie. Not very interesting.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170719-135338.png (987KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170719-135338.png
987KB, 2560x1440px
>>87442063
The DB movie would really only be used to set up the Z movies. It might feel a tad rushed, but things like Budukai and Roshi training could only take up minimal screentime. Looking at it realistically, DB is super easy to condence.
>Goku meets Bulma and starts searching for the dragonballs
>Eventually run into Pilaf, searching as a pawn of Piccolo. Allude to him as the grand villain
>Meet the owner of one of the Dragonballs, Yamcha the desert bandit, who gives Goku his Dragonball after losing in a fair fight
>Another one of the Dragonballs is owned by the Turtle Hermit, forcing Goku and Bulma to locate his island
>Bulma and Yamcha go off on their own (despite Yamcha being traditionally terrified of her)
>Ease that into Roshi training with krillen
>The training pays off when Roshi enrolls themin the Budukai
>The prize of the Budukai is one of the dragonballs on top of a dickfuck of Zeni
>Meet back up with Yamcha and Bulma again, introduce Tien and Chiaotzu here.
>Budukai is cut short by Pilaf, this time with Piccolo and his ship following close behind
>They steal the prize and now have all the dragonballs but the ones goku has, and one final one
>A chase to find the last dragonball occurs but ultimately is aquired by Red of the RR Army (give them a side story B plot up till this point)
>Goku destroys the army as he does in the anime. Has all the dragonballs but the ones in piccolos possession
>Goku and Piccolo go head to head to take each other's dragonballs while the other Z Fighters watch on
>Piccolo successfully knocks out Goku and gets ready to make his wish
>Tien, incapacitated by piccolo tells Chiaotzu to run up and shout over Piccolos wish, like in the anime
>Pic related
>Piccolo makes his wish and kills shenron
>Goku needs to climb Korrin Tower to reach Kami, the fabled guardian of the dragonballs
>He brings Shenron back, tells Piccolos origin, and gives some exposition (explains the year long wait until the dragonballs come back)

Post limit
>>
File: 73e311c49a8ea7d85ca8cd4c10e8931c.jpg (300KB, 1101x1332px) Image search: [Google]
73e311c49a8ea7d85ca8cd4c10e8931c.jpg
300KB, 1101x1332px
>>87443786
Post limit cut me short, but basically Goku uses one of the famous powerups from the show (or maybe he learns the kaioken early) to defeat Piccolo, has an intense battle and rockets through Piccolos abdomen in a shot straight out of the anime.

Use an aftercredits to establish that Piccolo jr is still alive. You get the idea.

There is your Dragonball movie. Any objections?
>>
>>87443491
Exactly this.
>>
>>87442206
>Matrix style

I like this
>>
File: 4008ecc96210c2e4e21f7df37f1c66b2.jpg (341KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
4008ecc96210c2e4e21f7df37f1c66b2.jpg
341KB, 1024x1024px
>>87443491
It raises questions that can either be answered during the trilogy and/or the prequels.
You can still make the audience feel for the characters and be surprised from the deaths of the team. Everyone expects for people to live in the first movie. The first film can do the opposite.
>>
>>87445278
Just because people are expecting them to live doesn't mean people are going to feel connected to them emotionally.

You simply can't start with the Saiyan saga. It's impossible. There is just not enough time to establish the cast before shit goes down
>>
>>87445917
I wasn't saying that the expectations create a connection. The connections can be stronger if doing the DB movie/s first. However, it isn't impossible to create some connection with them in little time. Besides, not many people care about DB characters anyways. They want to see the major league players.
>>
>>87439924
If you're talking a tv series, RR should be introduced in the first season in the background
But a live-action tv series would be pretty pointless

Dragonball was never about telling an in-depth story; it was the theatrics, the sense of adventure, the humour and the fighting that made it special
As it was, the anime was literally non-stop filler for this exact reason
>>
>>87443786
>>87443909
Have you heard of pacing?
Doing all that in 2 hours would be a fucking terrible piece of shit. There's no room to breathe. That's a fucking terrible idea
>>
>>87446597
There is more than enough time to show all of that.

Realistically how long do you think that whole summery would take? It wouldn't be more than 2 hours, 20min
>>
>>87446597
Turtle training and Dragonball hunting is more than enough down time from the main plot to breathe.

What do you expect? What would count as "room to breathe" to you?
>>
>>87441397
preteen doesnt exist because "teenager" is an artificially created term

there are children(before puberty) and adults(ready to breed)

fuck off with your kike bullshit
>>
File: Journey-to-the-west-1986.jpg (90KB, 440x536px) Image search: [Google]
Journey-to-the-west-1986.jpg
90KB, 440x536px
The casting would be impossible. I mean this is a story with midgets and pigs and cats. It's fucking ridiculous. Has a story like this ever been adapted by Hollywood? I've seen the Chinese tv adaption of journey to the west and it's actually pretty decent. JTTW is the inspiration for dragon ball. There's a monkey and a pig in it.
>>
>follow the source material

wew lad so hard
>>
>>87446998
It's not that simple when it comes to DB. Why do you think this thread is almost 200 posts
>>
Effectively no. I don't think this can be made into an accurate, enjoyable, competent, film. But there is no need... Its story also does not lend itself well to live action or short stories... The whole point of this is that it is a long story following several generations. You can't really condense all that stuff into two hours.
>>
>>87446714
That whole summary could probably be done in 2 in half hours, sure. But it'd be a terrible 2 and a half hours. Barely any substantial conversations, all dialogue would have to be pure exposition. Characters wouldn't have time to be established. Like have you ever seen a good adventure film?
Think Guardians of the Galaxy 1 compared to 2
1st one is brilliantly paced because the story is quite simple and sparse. So they go from one place to the next without rushing and you still manage to have like 6 or so different locations because there's less than ten characters that are actually important. It feels like a proper adventure in space
The second one, not so much. Maybe it's because they'd decided they'd already established the characters so they could do more, but there's about 4 or 5 different plots going on, everyone doing different things, and the story is a complete mess.
And you want to do more in this Dragonball film than GotG2 did.
>>87446805
Because down time requires "time" meaning you either have to rush it, or you end up with a 4 hour clusterfuck
Either way, pacing is atrociously off base
Room to breathe means allowing time for the characters to be themselves and act naturally without a hundred things left to establish

Here's what I'm saying in real numbers. That original greentext has 20 lines and is missing the ending. That means that if every line was 6 minutes, that's a 2 hour film
Consider that every line therefore gets six minutes at max.
>6 minutes into the film before Goku and Bulma meet each other and hunt the dragonballs together
>By minute 12, Pilaf has to have been introduced and established as working for Piccolo
>By minute 18, they've met Yamcha and Goku has beaten him in a fight
>By minute 24, Yamcha and Bulma have gone off on their own for unspecified reasons despite only just meeting
>6 minutes total spent training
>By minute 36, Roshi has to have enrolled Goku and Krillin in the martial arts tournament
Do you understand now?
>>
>>87447339
Yea I can see what you are saying actually.

I'd like to hear your pitch for how the franchise could be properly handled.
>>
>>87447526
I wrote mine out above here, I was called an autist for it >>87430617
Probably cause of the last line I suppose. Watching the show from the beginning, it felt like it tonally grew up with Goku. So when he's a kid the world's full of talking animals and the adults are idiots and everything is very relaxed and fun.
But then when he's an adult with a wife and a son, suddenly genocidal aliens are invading and there's an inter-galactic war going on and all the talking animals are gone.
I dunno, just how the show came across to me
>>
>>87440806
>counting """dragon ball""""" s*per at all
>>
>>87448765
Autism
>>
Pilaf saga
lewd stuff with teenager
kino
>>
File: tintin-05.jpg (31KB, 640x272px) Image search: [Google]
tintin-05.jpg
31KB, 640x272px
Have an animated trilogy, same style as pic related. Retarded talking pigs/cats and unnatural hairdos might look like less of a piss-take then. Plus, base all films on OG dragon ball, everything past Z would look retarded in film
>First film is RedRibbon army
>Second film is Roshi training + Tournament
>Third film is piccolo OG
What could go wrong?
>>
>>87451418
Sounds fuckbad
>>
>>87452890
>>87451418
see >>87427684
>>
>>87427684
>>87453247
Not overly bad. There are worse ideas.
I like having the crane school as the early protagonists, but realistically 7+ movies is WAY too many for the franchise.
>>
File: 1504295901787.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1504295901787.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Yes. My main goals would be:

1. Stay as close to the source material as possible (look, story, feel) as live action permits

2. Don't just appeal to people who already like Dragonball Z. Understand *why* people like DBZ and you can appeal to those people who like those individual aspects. This movie would be made for current North American DBZ fans, but also people who like anime, martial arts, action, super hero movies, etc. Think about Ironman and how it expanded his audience, same thing.

3. While the movie is obviously of the super hero genre, make it more in the vein of Logan and Deadpool and less Wonder Woman and Winter Soldier, as in a movie that is more than just the super powers (which DBZ was).

The main problem is that the core audience (Americans who watched DBZ on toonami) didn't like Dragonball, so why would superhero movie fans, martial arts fans, action movie fans, the general audience? Its very slow paced and full of japanese humor that falls flat in America. No, we like the fighting. But, if you start with the saiyan Saga it won't make sense, there would be no way to properly set up the world, abilities and characters without unnecessary and forced exposition assuming the movie would be just the Saiyan Saga.

So if DB doesn't work because it's boring to the core and target audiences, and the saiyan saga doesn't work from a logistical stand point and would confuse audiences, instead start with Future Trunks. In doing so you can introduce the Dragonball world from a fresh, abiet apocalyptic start. Via Gohan training trunks you can explain to the audience what ki is and establish the rules of the powers (important in superhero movieS), via conversations with Bulma and Gohan you can build up this "world and people that were before" lamp shading characters like Piccolo and Vegeta.
>>
>>87453410
If this was an HBO series:

Season 1 Finale: Trunks goes to the past, kills frieza and teases all the past, yet mentioned, characters leaving the audience with the main message of the series: hope.

Season 2 Finale: Cell Arrives

Season 3 Finale: Trunks killing Androids/Cell in his own timelines.

Season 1 would be cheap to do as you'd have very few characters, assuming it does well it wouldn't be hard to up the budget for the past events. I say assuming it'd be successful because it would be faithful to the source material, well done, no deviation or weird shit like black gohan or whatever, its the most popular saga in the most popular part of the franchise (Z). Easy to get into, easy to show the target audience why the core audience likes it. You could sell toys and whatnot.
>>
>>87453410
Honestly best post so far in the thread.

Good casting too except for the androids
>>
>>87453407
5/6 would be released back 2 back.
>>
>>87425447
I would do the tournament sagas.
>>
>>87453542
I feel like throwing the viewer straight into the wacky world of DragonBall right after The History of Trunks could be a bit jarring but I really don't see any other way to do it.

In my mind a History of Trunks show would neatly wrap up as soon as trunks steps into the time machine and any sort of peek past that would be shown during the credits.
>>
>>87453891
You wouldn't go to Dragonball, you'd go to the Androids Saga.
>>
>>87453917
Well yea duh (by Dragonball I meant the greater DB franchise, not just the first series), but I mean even the Android Saga is a pretty drastic tonal shift.

For someone who has never seen the franchise outside of this hypothetical HBO show to all of a sudden be introduced to most of the Z Fighters, Frieza, etc, I could see it being confusing if not played very carefully
>>
>>87453410
American audiences didn't like Dragonball because it was marketed at kids but didn't have enough action to be mindless; and the story wasn't about the story. Dragonball is actually incredible.

A History of Trunks movie would be fucking terrible. A post-apocalypse film? Starting with Super Saiyan being a thing? All the impact of the deaths would be missing because none of the characters are established. I can think of few things that would be more pants-off-retarded than that.
>>
>>87427282
nonono ghoans death makes me cry :'(
>>
>>87425447
No, I'd make a Sun Wukong movie instead.
>>
>>87453410
Casting is terrible and Logan is shit.
>>
>>87453410
Who is that actor for trunks? He's perfect
>>
>>87454217
It would work if it's as self contained as possible. Only really reference the dead Zero fighters as heros who were supposed to save the world from the Android's but failed. Don't make their deaths shocking or sad, make it part of the shows lore.

Same goes for Super Saiyan. Don't treat it like everyone knows exactly what it is. Instead a special ability that only trunks and Gohan have, being decendents of the lost heros.
>"It's in our blood, Trunks. When our fathers passed they left behind one thing... their heritage"

Regarding character deaths that occur DURRING the history of trunks, there is much more than enough room to build up Gohan's death. Honestly they could make it more impactful than it even was in the anime, given the better pacing and a longer amount of time for character development
>>
>>87455320
*dead Z Fighters
>>
>>87443116
it's really a matter of the eyes and the physique. where are you gonna find a dozen decent actors that are also 6 foot 5 and ripped as shit? and everybody has huge ass eyes, not even L from death note looks good in those japanese live action movies.
i agree that casting is a big issue, because nobody on earth looks like a cartoon character. i disagree with live action adaptations of cartoons on such a raw and fundamental level that it makes my autism flare up and i go nuts. i mean no disrespect, but i think it would be impossible to make a live action dragon ball trilogy look half as good as the cartoon. a third as good. a quarter.
>>
>>87453410
this is fucking horrible, all of it
>>
File: 1446934876821.gif (143KB, 274x200px) Image search: [Google]
1446934876821.gif
143KB, 274x200px
>>87453410

>casting
No no no NO!
>>
>>87453410

Goku and Yamcha are played by the same actor. C18 turned from feminine jailbait into slack jawed monster women.
Fassbender completely lacks the temperament of Vegeta, Walter White is way to young, the fat Jew is unfunny and doesn't look like Mr. Satan at all, Trunks is too old, Fidel is too old...your roster is shit.

Some DB characters do have an Asian feel to them, try to take that into consideration. Weiß ich auch nicht.
>>
>>87455771
>yamcha

this is bait.
>>
File: 1463673704553.png (101KB, 210x195px) Image search: [Google]
1463673704553.png
101KB, 210x195px
>>87455771
>Fidel
>>
>>87455623
You couldn't do a cast even half that good
>>
>>87455843

Prove it.
>>
>>87455898
Burdon of proof isn't on me, it's you.

If you think that casting is bad (it's honestly almost perfect), than let's see the best you got.
>>
>>87455962

That's not how burden of proof works you dumbass. I already argued why the choices are shit in the post below.
No it is on you to prove your claim that I couldn't come up with a better casting if I wanted to.
>>
>>87456102
Which post did you argue why the choices were shit?
>>
A young Brad Pitt would unironically be a good Goku
Come to think of it, Tom Cruise would be a good Vegeta
>>
>>87456201

The one *below* the one you were referring to...as I said...
>>
>>87426584
so does he have piss all over him?
>>
Young Christian Bale as son goku
>>
No because adapting from anime/manga is pointless since the source material is shit to begin with.
>>
>>87456422
It's only shit if you watch the anime.
>>87456362
Christian Bale is humourless. Goku is a funny guy. Brad Pitt would be better.
>>
>>87425447
But MoS was already an adaptation of the saiyan saga
>>
>>87456592

He is an actore. His job is to portray things he is not. He was quite funny in American Psycho, too.
>>
>>87456362

Christian Bale right now as Majin Buu
>>
>>87456842

The fuck happened to his eyebrows
>>
>>87427023
Berserk could easily he done as a trilogy or a tv series and it'd probably only be the golden age.
>>
>>87456842
Only if we get Jaden Smith as Kid Buu
>>
>>87438515
Bulma was 16 when she met goku
>>
File: gwffetd9k5ubvmnpfufh.jpg (115KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
gwffetd9k5ubvmnpfufh.jpg
115KB, 1600x900px
>>87441846
Makeup and prosthetics don't always look stupid. Think of the creatures from the hellboy movies. Abe Sapien, Hellboy, the elf twins in the second one.They could easily do something similar to this for Piccolo, Ginyu force, etc.

The human characters would actually be harder to get right, I feel. Mainly because of the hair. It's hard for someone to not look like an utter joke with the Goku or Vegeta's hair in live action.

Nappa, Tien, Krillin would be no problem.
>>
Dragon ball = /a/
Dragon ball Z Saiyan saga = /v/
Frieza saga =/v/
Cell saga = /tv/
Buu saga /tv/
>>
>>87451418
If it's going to be animated, just keep it as an anime. Tin Tin looks like shit.
>>
>>87426208
>implying
>>
>>87457144
I think the best thing to do is to just ignore the hair. Create a hairstyle that look good on the actor. Maybe change the colour when they turn super saiyan. There's no point trying to recreate something that's probably impossible to do.
>>
>>87457292
goku's hair is just bedhair though
>>
File: idu6ue.jpg (20KB, 310x388px) Image search: [Google]
idu6ue.jpg
20KB, 310x388px
>>87457292
>>87457357

Vegeta has slicked back hair with a widow's peak

Goku just has messy bed head

This could work.
>>
File: honest-mistake.jpg (86KB, 1139x857px) Image search: [Google]
honest-mistake.jpg
86KB, 1139x857px
1:1 adaptation of the "Path to Power" DB movie would be pretty gud.

I just want Dafne Keen as Goku and the GoT midget as general red.

pic related must obviously happen as well.
>>
>>87458627
Isn't that movie like 40 minutes?
>>
File: ss.jpg (197KB, 1211x911px) Image search: [Google]
ss.jpg
197KB, 1211x911px
>>87459113

1:20
It's by far my favourite DB movie. Prime Bulma, Nice direction, fantastic backgrounds, action kicks ass and the soundtrack is great.
>>
File: filthypole.jpg (159KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
filthypole.jpg
159KB, 1200x900px
what did she mean by this?
>>
>>87459379
They shoulda fugged
>>
>>87457158
/tv/ has the worst ones, everything checks out
>>
>>87457144
i can agree that piccolo is an easier character to do than vegeta. and unless you do some crazy lotr-style forced perspective, you're gonna need a really short guy for vegeta, and a really big guy for(you) nappa
>>
File: 17.jpg (2MB, 2117x3000px) Image search: [Google]
17.jpg
2MB, 2117x3000px
>>87458627
What did Toriyama mean by this?
>>
>>87461492
Xmen movies worked fine with a Wolverine that wasn't near as small as his comic version
>>
>>87461557
What is she so hot, Bros?
>>
>>87433431
>>write outline of my perfect adaptation
Autism
>>
>>87461492
Nappa - Nathan Jones (6'11) - Mad Max Fury Road

Vegeta - Justin Theroux (5'9) - The Leftovers.
>>
>>87457292
Pretty much
You can capture a similar style but actually trying to give a real person these massive hair spikes would be laughable
>>
>>87462075
>>
>>87456928
When the barber asked what kind of eybrow cut he wanted he said "just fuck my shit up"
>>
>>87446951
have you seen the JTTW movie? its fuckin' GOAT
>>
>>87442312
Unless you were born before 1984 you are a millennial. That is the funny part about that whole meme. I was born in 81. So either you are a millennial or a generation z. Either way you are the scourge of this earth and the best part is, you don't even know it.

>also, anime is for faggots, go back to /a
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.