[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/trek/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 19

Dear Doctor edition
>>
Best character in The Man From Earth (which was based on a Star Trek episode)
>>
File: prom.jpg (14KB, 315x273px) Image search: [Google]
prom.jpg
14KB, 315x273px
PROMENADE
>>
File: obrienthieves.jpg (60KB, 400x227px) Image search: [Google]
obrienthieves.jpg
60KB, 400x227px
Daily reminder that O'brien has always been a Section 31 agent.
>>
File: Phlox - Basketball.gif (2MB, 313x174px) Image search: [Google]
Phlox - Basketball.gif
2MB, 313x174px
Phlox committed genocide by his inaction, you can't refute this
>>
File: 1502324763028.gif (431KB, 250x191px) Image search: [Google]
1502324763028.gif
431KB, 250x191px
>>87385658
Wil you are the weakest link now die!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiRubWXs5M4
>>
File: Untitled.png (734KB, 896x670px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
734KB, 896x670px
>but i've never been one to not take risks

picard you fucking liar
>>
>>87385840
Inaction isnt committing an action. There's no obligation to pull the lever.
>>
>>87385886
Inaction is action through decision and action is inaction through opportunity cost. You're only trying to absolve yourself of the guilt of never having helped your fellow man.
>>
File: Pussy-Crusher.gif (976KB, 364x293px) Image search: [Google]
Pussy-Crusher.gif
976KB, 364x293px
>>87385886
>Has the means
>Doesn't

Maybe not genocide, but definitely a 'cide of sorts.

>>87385885
Found the Wil.
>>
File: WIlBv6x.gif (2MB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
WIlBv6x.gif
2MB, 350x263px
First for the Riker Manuveur
>>
>>87385867
but he literally built a career on taking risks
>>
>>87385954
Like if I built a building and it collapsed, I'd be at responsible. If I see a building and there's a "stop this building from collapsing" button and I don't push it, I'm not responsible for pushing that button.

Sure I get brownie points or whatever for pushing the button and saving the day but fuck if I'm going to take shit for not saving the day. I ain't no slave to other people's responsibilities.

Next thing you'll be telling me I have to pay for your lunch or something to keep you from starving.
>>
>>87385963
The Riker Maneuver is jumping onto the floor when Ferengi beam onto your bridge.
>>
>>87386086
Riker has special gravitational needs around the belly area.
>>
>>87386059
>If I see a building and there's a "stop this building from collapsing" button and I don't push it, I'm not responsible for pushing that button.
I'm pretty sure this is literally manslaughter.
>>
>>87386114
Nah, duty to rescue is not real. Even cops have no legal obligation to actually do their jobs.
>>
File: Kira and Ziyal.jpg (94KB, 705x530px) Image search: [Google]
Kira and Ziyal.jpg
94KB, 705x530px
>This is a standard issue, Cardassian phase-disruptor rifle. It has a four point seven megajoule power capacity, three millisecond recharge two beam settings. We captured a lot of them during the occupation. It's a good weapon, solid, simple. You can drag it through the mud and it'll still fire. Now this. (Federation phaser rifle.) This is an entirely different animal. Federation standard issue. It's a little less powerful, but it's got a more options. Sixteen beam settings. Fully autonomous recharge, multiple target acquisition, gyro stabilised, the works. It's a little more complicated, so it's not as good a field weapon. Too many things can go wrong with it.
>>
>>87386200
>battery falls out
>>
>>87386239
>they built the prop to have a battery
I'm still impressed, even if the hatch should have been sturdier.
>>
File: rascals218.jpg (88KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
rascals218.jpg
88KB, 694x530px
>>87386086
RED ALERT! SHIELDS UP!
>>
>>87385885
go to bed wil
>>
>>87386200
Best-looking Ziyal, the bitch that replaced her couldn't pull off the prosthetics.
>>
>>87386049
>There was no dialogue against it, and the show demonstrates that it is true by showing people remaining conscious during transportation. Do you have another explanation, other that your theory that this specific part of Star Trek can't or shouldn't be canon?
Holy fuck, how are you going to sit there and demand I give you dialogue and then when I ask you for some proof of your own, you say "oh it was inferred".

I'll take this as a complete forfeiture of the entire argument and I don't accept your apology because you rarely mean what you say anyways.
>>
A-khoo-chee-moya.
>>
>>87386086
>>87386111
He's a very tall man with very bad back problems, leave fat riker alone
>>
>>87386931
We bully him because we love him. I kind of have a giant crush on him.
>>
>>87386818
>bringing the argument to a new thread instead of letting it die.
Wew.

You have a theory.
I have a theory.
Your theory isn't supported by dialogue.
My theory isn't supported by dialogue.
Your theory is contradicted by what we see on the screen.
My theory is supported by what we see on the screen.

It's not perfect, but can you accept my theory as a "good enough" compromise which allows Star Trek to be canon? You are the only person who gets upset when they see transporters maintain consciousness and insists that it somehow *shouldn't* be canon. Everybody else can accept that IT JUST WORKS™, so why not you?

Do you also get upset when they use universal translators and the audio syncs up perfectly with the lips? No, you let it slide, because it's a fucking scifi and fantasy fiction and it doesn't have to make 100% perfect sense. So do the same here, because every other person in this thread is sick of seeing us argue this shit.
>>
>>87387170
>every other person in this thread is sick of seeing us argue this shit
Sorry but no, this is the best part of these threads
>>
>>87387214
You don't count.
>>
>>87387170
>You are the only person who gets upset when they see transporters maintain consciousness and insists that it somehow *shouldn't* be canon.

You're obfuscation is turning into a new genre of satire at this point. Your ability to say nothing so clumsily is also a talent unto itself.

More selective memory, go read the fucking archive. All I EVER SAID was that it doesn't make much sense to have consciousness given Geordi's explanation and a few others throughout the franchise which states it splits up all of your molecular matter and re-assembles on the other side. You ask me for specific pieces of dialogue so I tell you I'll send you some dogecoin if I'm proven wrong. What gives? You agreed with me last thread and I with you but you didn't feel confident enough in your post or something. Yes, I am autistic about this shit but I am willing to admit when I'm wrong about something. You don't follow your own advice of admitting you're wrong. So you're a hypocrite on top of everything.

You keep changing the boundaries, my words, casually omitting. You are doing an excellent job of being purposely obtuse and obfuscating, picking and choosing guidelines in the argument, strawmanning, etc. etc. You are terrible at this and your forced sarcasm is clearly a defense mechanism.

I'm not going to let you get away with making shit up so you don't have to address what I say and then not providing evidence because your autism didn't cover that portion of the franchise. So, even though I agreed with your whole consciousness spiel being canon, and you did agree with my atoms splitting apart, you had to mince words and find something else to argue about because it's not good enough to stalemate or not win the argument. I'm really tired at this point, you're the one who decided to re-open the argument last thread.
>>
>There was no dialogue against it, and the show demonstrates that it is true by showing people remaining conscious during transportation.
Very next whitetext.
>Post the line of dialogue which states that Scotty was unconscious.
Lad, you take the cake here. This is like some sort of Tim Heidecker/Andy Kaufman level of comedy.
>>
>>87387451
>I'm really tired at this point, you're the one who decided to re-open the argument last thread.
I wasn't, actually. Believe it or not, there are multiple people calling you out on your bullshit.

If it'll make you happy though, I'll stop giving you (You)s in this thread.
>>
>>87387451
Scotty spent 75 years in that shit, he came back the day he left, consciousness-wise.
>>
>>87387573
Please continue to give that other guy (You)s. please
>>
>>87387613
Next thread.
>>
>>87387573
>Believe it or not, there are multiple people calling you out on your bullshit.
My bullshit?
What about what I said is bullshit?
I even put up free digital currency on my part. Nothing about what I said was wrong.
I used the tech manual which is how the writers were able to make technobabble.
The bullshit department is firmly managed by you and your usage of every logical fallacy in the book.
I'm starting to feel like you just like arguing because I'm now confused as to what you even disagree with me on. You had to make something up to try to win an argument I never was arguing for.
>>
Who would win in a fight, Sand dan Glotka or Data?
>>
>>87387600
Arguably, that situation could be considered an exception since Scotty retooled the transporter keep looping their patterns around indefinitely rather than it being the usual transporter process.
>>
Has anyone here ever read Phil Farrand's Nitpicker's Guides? Seems like that guy covered a lot of controversial topics in detail way before threads like this even existed. Seems like Phil Farrand is smarter than all of you.
>>
>>87387833
Scotty wakes up not knowing what year it is or what's going on. He clearly was not conscious and it's a huge stretch that's unsupported to suggest otherwise.
>>
>>87387906
Yeah, they were pretty great when I was a kid. I wish I could get them again but only the TOS ebook is available for piracy.

>>87387970
>Arguably, that situation could be considered an exception since Scotty retooled the transporter keep looping their patterns around indefinitely rather than it being the usual transporter process.
>that situation could be considered an exception
>>
>>87388002
>Arguably
>could be

How could that be an exception? If he was conscious why is he confused and don't know what year it is?
>>
>>87388106
He wasn't conscious. That's why it's an exception. Normally a person is conscious.
>>
>>87388002
My TNG Nitpicker's Guide (the original one) was ruined during a flood. I've considered dismantling it to scan for a PDF but the pages are discolored so I question whether anybody wants that
>>
>>87388106
>If he was conscious why is he confused and don't know what year it is?
It's possible that 40(?) years in a transporter loop caused his brain to shut down, and even if it didn't, you try keeping track of time without clocks or a sun or anything.
There's two pieces of evidence, one in TNG and one in ENT, that standard transporter use preserves the self and the conscious, and one piece of evidence, in TNG, that it does not preserve consciousness.
>>
>>87388180
Does a PDF already exist? If not I'm sure yours will be a hit.
>>
>>87388219
I can get one for five bucks from ebay which doesn't have stains on every page. I might just buy one and scan it. Hopefully Phil won't track me down
>>
>>87388194
>It's possible that 40(?) years in a transporter loop caused his brain to shut down, and even if it didn't, you try keeping track of time without clocks or a sun or anything.
Well there's a lot of possibilities but preserving conscious=/=being conscious which we see absolutely no evidence of. We do see evidence of a lack of conscious by his bewilderment and loss of time.
>>
>>87385963
alpha as fuck
>>
>>87388284
>preserving conscious=/=being conscious
That's axiomatic, meaning we'll probably never reach agreement. Nice argument but I believe it's come to an end.
>>
>>87388355
>Nice argument but I believe it's come to an end.
What argument? You worded an improvable supposition in hypothetical terms for the sole purpose of strengthening a previous point.

I would've ended the string of posts there but since it's you, you don't get off easily. In fact, I'm going to keep pointing out this badly designed point just as you would and in a belittling fashion (just as you would).
>>
File: lt.primmons.png (425KB, 720x547px) Image search: [Google]
lt.primmons.png
425KB, 720x547px
good ole' lt. primmons keepin' them shifters in line
>>
>>87388448
YES. Yes, please continue. You have that other guy on the ropes. END IT! END IT NOW
>>
>>87388355
I'm a huge pussy: the post
>>
File: WINK.gif (476KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
WINK.gif
476KB, 200x200px
>>87388518
Gonna' have to wait 'til tomorrow. Hittin' the hay.

G'night Trektards.
>>
File: 2051195.jpg (25KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
2051195.jpg
25KB, 400x300px
>>87388799
Good night.
>>
>>87388799
BASED what's good for the goose is good for the gander POSTER. Just kidding. Let it end.
>>
gs4g... wait, we're only 57 posts in. What are we supposed to talk about now?
>>
File: 43r4354545.png (998KB, 1549x871px) Image search: [Google]
43r4354545.png
998KB, 1549x871px
>>87388899
How Cardassia's failing empire mirrors that of 1930 Germany and they did nothing wrong by trying to build themselves up from the ashes by imposing their will on lesser planets
>>
TNG's cast was disabled
>Stewart was a bald leading man
>Frakes was a big guy with back problems
>Dorn has googley eyes
>Mirtis couldn't act
>Burton was a black nerd
>McFadden couldn't act
>Schultz was an A-Team hasbeen
>Wheaton was a child nerd
so progressive
>>
>>87389828
Every normal human in Starfleet was a villain
>>
A̡̛̝̼͓̺͕̻̔̆̋̌̈̒̐ͦ͛ͨͩ͆͒̉̄͛͟-̨̮̰̹̟̳̦̫̤̮̞̩̪͍̮̰̖̻͉̈́͌͛͌̒̎ͦ͗͞ǩ̵̨̬͕̭͎́̎͌̽ͮ̂ͣͪ͑̆͒̋́̚h̶͖̯̖͙̯̯̼̔̈́ͮ̑ͮ̓̚̕̕ͅơ̵̞̖̥͙̖͙̦̓̃ͩ̔́͘͜͟o̵̮̦͙͕̙ͬ͂́̂͗̈́ͬͩͣ͂̉ͅ-̶̡̧̧̱̺̻̦̞̪̙̹̮͎̮̫̠ͬ̂ͬͤ̔ͩͯ̓͟c̩̳͔̮̞͍͓̫̳̞͚̗̙̗̤̳̽͊̏̈̔ͬ͊̍̐ͬͣ̐ͯ̐ͧ̊͝h̵̯̩̯͓̗̺̖̖̘͖̳̜̰̱͋̾̋ͬ͋̊̾̔͌ͬ̈́̕͞ͅȩ̛͚̝͕̠͔̭̦̗̙̞͖̳̖͎̞̞̹ͨ͑̋̍͐̔̉ͮ̓͡e̢̦̞̜̤͕͕̫͉͓͍̪̣̯͛ͬͣ̔͌̄͂́̉̈́̾͑͟-̵̡̛͙͈̦̫̦͓͍̼͚͖̪̬̪͖͎̃̔̎̆͌ͭ̄ͭ̌̆̋͂ͫ̒͜͠m̨̞̙̼͓̭̖̥̩͍̻̰͈̥̪̈ͨ̓͑̌̊̑̄́õ͉̦̣̗̞̝̗̥̦̣̥̞͚͎̹̝̦̊̿͌̓ͧ̈͛ͪ̐͂ͬ́͛͗̓͟͞ÿ̭̯͙̝̰́̆͐̂ͧͫ̉͑̿̀͟a̧̺̝̳̬ͮ͐̆͆ͤͫͧ͊̍͛̾̊͂ͣ̀͟͜
>>
File: 1491350394458.jpg (90KB, 386x592px) Image search: [Google]
1491350394458.jpg
90KB, 386x592px
c'mon and SL@M
and welcome to the J@M
>>
File: what-the-fuck.gif (875KB, 178x195px) Image search: [Google]
what-the-fuck.gif
875KB, 178x195px
>>87385846
I literally watched all this. Based Shatner. Truly, /ourguy/
>>
File: riker.gif (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
riker.gif
3MB, 320x240px
>>87385963
I thought this was the Riker Maneuver?

>>87387451
>I agreed with your whole consciousness spiel being canon
>you did agree with my atoms splitting apart
What the fuck are you two autismos still arguing about, then? Is it literally just a game of "who can get the final (You) in?"

Realm of Fear shows a regular transport maintains consciousness while Relics shows that doing some weird transporter bullshit causes a loss of consciousness.
>>
>>87390124
Who CAN get the final (You) in?
>>
>that episode in TNG where they find a literally fountain of youth that can revert you back to childchood state
>if that phenomena was studied and harnessed humanity can become a Commonwealth tier population where noone can die
>it never gets menitioned agin
>>
>>87390164
>>that episode in TNG where they find a literally fountain of youth that can revert you back to childchood state
>>if that phenomena was studied and harnessed humanity can become a Commonwealth tier population where noone can die
Novels state that that was a black swan event.
>>
>>87390164
>that ep in TNG where they filter aged Pulaski through a previous transporter trace to restore her youth
>it never gets mentioned again
>also, novelfaggot anon is fucked in his ass
>>
>>87390317
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.