[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do the British make better documentaries than Americans?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 7

Why do the British make better documentaries than Americans?
>>
>>87247271
>no lion noises
>no guy speaking Australian
>effeminate narrator
plz
>>
>>87247271
Because the ordinary is enough to intrigue us Brits whereas Americans need a cool action sequence.
>>
>>
>>87247271
They don't. You're just talking about a very specific type of TV documentary.
>>
>>87247478

This pretty much. The British make documentaries. Americans make parodies of documentaries.
>>
Lack of education
ADD
>>
Americans are incapable of producing something that isn't marketing or propaganda, a good documentary should be neither of those things.
>>
>>87247271
the episodes with him in QI are pure kino
>>
Give me some documentary Kino
>>
>>87247410
the ordinary is enough to intrigue you because you have no budget to make things extraordinary like merica :^D
>>
>>87249308
baraka, by ron ricke, an american
>>
>>87249356
Like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWjkqw7SeRI&t=71s
>>
>>87249395

can you not in to dramatization for the sake of entertainment?
>>
>>87247271
british documentaries are funded by the british government, so they are higher quality.

it's a nice break between your propaganda shows.
>>
>>87249308
this
>>
>>87247271
Holy shit I hate us documentaries. Lots of people talking, loud music, faux suspense and hype. It's testament to the poor attention span and unsophisticated tastes of the American people.
>>
>>87249557
>everything is a spike tv show that runs at 11pm on saturday after mxc marathons
stay obsessed fags
>>
>>87249395
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
the absolute state of American learning. No wonder you woke up to find Mordechain Greenberg and his tribe in charge of your country.
>>
Cox told me about the seed vault. What is that fucker hiding?
>>
They generally make everything film related better. The only thing they lack to really compete with the us are huge budgets.
>>
File: BJ.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
BJ.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
Comfy
>>
>>87249308
Werner herzog docs are usually pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68Ix3YIhmlI
>>
>>87249630
>They generally make everything film related better.
>>
>>87249395
Holy fuck that is retarded
>>
British documentaries are more informative/interesting

American documentaries are more fun

I like Herzog's stuff best though
>>
>>87249308
Thin blue line
>>
retarded nationlistic cockwaving on the internet was a mistake
>>
>>87249308
Planet Earth and everything by BBC natural history department especially if narrated by David Attenborough
>>
>>87247271
BBC have a mandate to "educate" so a significant portion of their budget goes to educational programming, whereas American TV you don't have publicly funded broadcasting. to that degree where government has a direct hand in its focus.

As far as I am aware, there's still a significant portion of the Conservative government who thinks the BBC should be nothing but documentaries and Radio 4. Good luck with that.
>>
PBS is better than the BBC though. Ken Burns makes Burgerkino.
>>
>>87249591
I swear I hadn't even seen that link posted above before posting and it was exactly the type of stupid that I was describing
>>
>>87249786
The BBC would be better if it was just documentaries. They're a vast improvement on the other shit they put out like Doctor Who, "historical" dramas or any of the crap they used to make for BBC 3.
>>
>>87249862
What about BBC News though? Its still the best.
>>
>>87249395
JUST
>>
>>87249862
They can privatise it for all I care, I barely watch any BBC programming at this point. But, as much as the fluff you point out is childish nonsense, it certainly gives the UK a smidgen of cultural clout, so it feels unfounded and somewhat short sighted to suggest that they scale back to something that takes 4 years to film at a time and nothing else.

But hey, as I mentioned at the start, fuck it.
>>
>>87249395
what the fuck is this
>>
File: 1411313620268.jpg (125KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1411313620268.jpg
125KB, 640x640px
>>87249911
>Its still the best.
>>
>>87249804
Quite a few PBS docos are brought from other UK channels though. i.e. Channel 4.
>>
An English accent is just more refined and intelligent than an American one. Always.
>>
>>87250050
Unless you're from Newcastle
>>
>>87249750
t. globalist with no sense of international friendly competition
>>
>>87250050
>geordies, scousers and cockney wankers
Oh yeah, so refined and intelligent.
>>
>>87247271
*talks condescendingly through a forced smile*
*needlessly slow and methodical hand gestures*

He's a shitty attention whore flying the flag of awe-inspiring altruism.
>>
>>87249308
Crumb
>>
>>87250269
AND IT WAS HERE, IN THESE SKIES THAT THE LUFTWAFFE WAS DESTROYED
>>
>>87250575
NOT JUST BY BRAVE AIRMEN IN FIRE AIRCRAFT. BUT BY INVISIBLE BEAMS OF ELECTROMAGNETIC ENERGY THAT COULD SEE FURTHER THAN THE HUMAN EYE. THE GREAT BRITISH SECRET WEAPON, WADAR
>>
>>87247271

In England we are taught that if the English are adults, Americans are children
>>
Not because Richard Attenborough, for certain. God I hat this man's voice. Brits have stunning voice talents, why tf they keep using this old fart?

For example, that dude playing Beric Dondarrion (Richard Dormer) has a voice to kill for.
>>
>>87250004
Whats better?
>>
Not just documentaries. Consider Gordon Ramsey's Hells Kitchens or whatever it's called. Brit version is Gordon genuinely trying to help people in dire straights - and those people wanting his help, taking his critcism and working with him. The US version is all DRAMA, SHOUTING, LOUD MUSIC.
>>
>>87250856
>Not because Richard Attenborough, for certain. God I hat this man's voice. Brits have stunning voice talents, why tf they keep using this old fart?
You do know Jurassic Park wasn't a documentary?
>>
>>87250958
>and those people wanting his help
Kitchen Nightmares. Though there were actually a fair few instances where they flat out ignore his advice. Also the problems in the UK version are always shown to be way less severe. Most of the fixes boiled down to 'fix your lighting and simplify your menu'. The worst case I can recall was the Granary.
>>
File: Suzannah Lipscomb.jpg (858KB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Suzannah Lipscomb.jpg
858KB, 1333x2000px
This is why BBC Four is the best BBC channel, nothing but kino documentaries as far as the eye can see.
>>
>>87247271
Test
>>
>>87250856
>Richard Attenborough

le retarded american faec
>>
America makes Ancient Aliens and shows it on the """"History"""" channel. Anything they say can be disregarded instantly because of this.
>>
*posts fedoralord who makes documentaries for dummies*
>>
>>87251039
Don't forget Worsley
>>
File: Richard Attenborough.jpg (400KB, 1400x895px) Image search: [Google]
Richard Attenborough.jpg
400KB, 1400x895px
>>87250856
This man created dinosaurs and you're only concerned with his voice?
>>
space is literally full of dead monkeys
>>
>>87251024
Granted. But every US version of the show I've seen includes a head chef who refuses to believe his food stinks, owners who are flat out stupid and family drama.

The UK one is generally comfy TV. Best one is still that Carribean place that had amazing food.
>>
>>87250986
>>87251075
>>87251109

It was a joke retards
>>
>>87251147
>Best one is still that Carribean place that had amazing food.
That one was great. He genuinely enjoyed the food, and it was basically just 'advertise better and make your dining space brighter'

Compare that to one of the equivalent US episodes, where the owner said something along the lines of 'Maybe Gordon just doesn't understand what soul food is supposed to taste like'
>>
>>87249988
american autism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikVMXhcjbYc
>>
>>87249308
The World at War
>>
>>87249308
>Grizzly Man
>Happy People
>Encounters at the End of the World
>Into the Inferno
>Cave of Forgotten Dreams
>Lo and Behold
>Into the Abyss
>The Act of Killing

Literally /kino/. I'm also a fan of Adam Curtis' "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace," but it's more devisive.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.