[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Death Note Movie is actually good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 28

Let's discuss.
>>
You are wrong. Discussion over.
>>
I didn't like that there were no cool quandaries. None at all. Felt like a cargo cult version of Death Note.
>>
>make a Death Note adaptation with no keikaku
>expect the movie to be good
>>
It was made by Adam Wingard, who is a master of making a comedy, that pretends a serious movie.
Kitch and mistakes from the anime are not fixed here, but exploited,
Many people are saying that this movie is funny, but they don't understand that it was intentionally made this way.

It isn't made for anime fans tho - it's made for people who liked death note some time ago, but now understands all its flaws.
>>
>people not understanding it's a camp even afters scenes like this one
>>
>>87177292
The soundtrack make it seem like it was supposed to be a comedy, but maybe that's just me. The thing I couldn't stand is how L just magically became a fucking track star and stunt driver when he was chasing Light. the whole movie I was trying to find something I liked about it and I just couldn't.
>>
>>87178016
Because it was a comedy, a camp comedy. Watch different movies of Adam Wingard, The Guest for example.
At its heart this movie was a parody of Death Note is 80s' aesthetics.

The homage to movies like the terminator in the chase scene was brilliant - funny and satisfying.
>>
>>87178104
I think you're looking too far into. It was a quick cash grab.
>>
I'd never heard of Death Note before - not watched or read any of the weeb shit, only watched the film because of based Willem.

And as a non-fan I have to say that I was surprised by the film. It really was an emotional rollercoaster with fantastic acting and high st-

yeah no the film was shit
>>
>>87177292
It was very mediocre, but so is the shitty anime.
>>
>>87178146
No, actually i'm not, i'm just familiar with Wingard's style.
>>
>>87178207
Hello Wingard. Your movie is bad.
>>
>>87177292
you have shit taste and you should feel bad
>>
Wingard's actually kinda troll the whole fanbase. He is the only artist who saw what kind of antisocial asshole Light is. So he's intentionally cringy. Mia is especially edgy and watches b movies with gore, also she has a sticker "Normal people scare me" in her locker,

The whole idea of two teenagers wonderfully predicting all of the opponent's moves is kind of goody. But this movie nails it in showing that.
>>
>>87178181
>Edgy contrarian.

What do you consider a good anime? Some moe type shit?
>>
>>87178324
That anon isn't Adam Wingard, he's just familiar with Adam's style and for the record, he's completely correct in his analysis.

The so-called critics of Death Note (2017) now available on Netflix are missing the point so thoroughly that I can't help but wonder if a) this isn't some sort of astroturfing campaign from a competing service or b) society is so dumb and thin-skinned now that even a not-so-subtle comedy offends everyone and they insist that it's bad but not on purpose.

If Cannibal the Musical were released in 2017, I bet you'd all claim it was awful and there would be protests in the streets. Watch The Guest. It's obvious what's going on here. Why are you all so ignorant and stupid?
>>
>>87177292
>pretending this shitty movie is any good
Hey look, it's the new BvS!
>>
>>87177634
what's keikaku again, the word is familiar
>>
>>87178628
Keikaku = Plan
>>
>>87178628
it means cool quandaries in dainippongo
>>
>>87178628
>what's _____ again

I hate people that post this so much. They're too stupid to google it but still feel the need to remind people that they still technically knew the information. Just fucking end your life.
>>
>>87178693
what's dainippongo again, the word is familiar
>>
>>87178628
take note: keikaku means plan
>>
AYO
>>
File: 1486932407174.jpg (5KB, 233x175px) Image search: [Google]
1486932407174.jpg
5KB, 233x175px
>Death Note movie is actually good
>>
I really enjoyed this film
>>
File: 1503854471773.jpg (114KB, 1166x850px) Image search: [Google]
1503854471773.jpg
114KB, 1166x850px
Movie is shit
>>
>>87178743
dainippon means waiting patiently for revenge and go means language/dialect/speech
>>
it's literally 4chan the movie

>bad guy is autistic nig
>mc kills girl for being a bitch
>>
>>87178845
L's actor is the only one who's actually performing Death Note. Everybody else is doing... well, they're doing SOMETHING.
Dude showed up to the casting dressed as L and nails a lot of his mannerisms. It's really not his fault that the script is garbage and forced him to go apeshit and run around with a gun.
>>
>>87178925
Are we sure that wasn't ad libbed?
>>
Exactly
It's annoying how people who watch b movies on daily basis can't recognize that this movie is an intentional exploitation.
>>
>>87177971
this
>>
>>87178149
>watching an adaptation before the original

WEW LAD
>>
>>87178925
>L actually addressing a crowd in public, people he don't know
>L getting outsmarted by some dumb school bitch

Yeah no, L is certainly doing SOMETHING
>>
>>87178983
I ain't no weeb Chef
>>
Wingard is one of the best directors around. If Lloyd Kaufman ever dies, Wingard should take the reins.
>>
>>87179077
>Actually thinking an adaptation is bad because it's different from the original.
>>
>>87178953
It's possible that Stanfield just did L as he saw fit and nobody bothered to correct him.

>>87179077
And Watari is literally Watari. Again, not the actor's fault that the script was garbage.
All I'm saying is that he's the one who's trying the hardest. Light is laughable and inconsistent, his dad looks confused and lost and not in an in-universe sense, Mia has no backstory, Ryuk is a generic whispering demon that serves no purpose in the story.
>>
>>87179099
>weeb
>implying anime isn't mainstream now

WEW LAD
>>
>>87177292
The original content was over hyped IMO so if the movie was trash its because the source material is trash. Hated anime ever since I finished that whole story.
>>
File: 1111.png (124KB, 261x381px) Image search: [Google]
1111.png
124KB, 261x381px
>>87179099
>chef
>>
It's a bad adaptation and it's a bad stand alone movie.
>>
File: DIF3IuZXUAEJGIr.jpg (118KB, 1200x488px) Image search: [Google]
DIF3IuZXUAEJGIr.jpg
118KB, 1200x488px
>>87177292
>>
File: Plan.webm (3MB, 800x452px) Image search: [Google]
Plan.webm
3MB, 800x452px
>>87177292
It didn't have enough keikaku.
>>
Step out of your ignorant bubbles and actually watch The Guest.
Also, how can you not understand the comedic intentions, ignoring all the signs of it, the movie gives.
>>
File: left turner.jpg (781KB, 3840x3204px) Image search: [Google]
left turner.jpg
781KB, 3840x3204px
>Light Turner
>always turns left
>>
>>87178458
Cowboy Bebop?
>>
>>87177292
i felt as a fuck you to fans of the original.
In the sense that the main character is the embodiment of all those dweebs that want to take revenge on the world and stuff.

I still like it because to me its a: "well, what if it happened in America?" this is exactly how it would be.
Not perfect, not that shitty. Its fun, plus Atticus Ross's OST and Score is 10/10
>>
>>87179156
>A cop being outsmarted by a dumb school girl

It's obvious it's going to be different from the original but they shitted up every fucking aspect of it.
>>
>gorillionth death note thread in the last few days
How do we feel that Netflix has deemed the /tv/ catalog important enough to astroturf on?
>>
>>87179648
>I still like it because to me its a: "well, what if it happened in America?" this is exactly how it would be.
Because the original was realistically what would happen in Japan. Right.
>>
>>87179766
In the original the whole world was outsmarted by a school boy and cop being outsmarted by a girl bothers you?

As I said - the movie isn't trying to fix anime but takes all of its flaws and exploit them.

Learn what camp is and actually make yourself familiar with Adam's style.

I can't belive how stupid the arguments against this movie are.
>>
that screaming scene was worth it all, funniest thing I've seen in a film in years
>>
>>87179945
Yup, that scene was funny af. Adam Wingard is a genius.
>>
Also, Lakeith Stanfield performance was superb.
He made all of the L's poses belivable.
He was even running is anime's way.
>>
>>87178470
That's the quality response and i agree in every way.
>>
>>87179945
>teacher didn't return to find the detention hall trashed and give Light a questioning eyebrow to which he shrugs in response
missed opportunity
>>
>>87180756
That's true, but i think that nobody would really care about that after decapitation of a student 10 seconds ago.
>>
THOUGHT IT WOULDNT MATTER
>>
File: finaldestination.jpg (187KB, 1920x802px) Image search: [Google]
finaldestination.jpg
187KB, 1920x802px
>>87181025
>Light specifies decapitation
>ladder only takes cranium but not mandible
PLOT HOLES ANYONE?
>>
>>87181395
IF WE DIDN'T STAY TOGETHER
>>
>>87181641
>filename

I was thinking about this the whole movie.
>>
>>87177292
Ugly people playing beautiful characters. Liberal diversity quotas in action again. Shit movie.
>>
File: 1466848448140.png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
1466848448140.png
55KB, 217x190px
So can anyone explain to me why japanese cartoons FOR CHILDREN are more intellectual than your average american tv show/movie?

Are Americans really this retarded?
>>
>>87183365
Maybe because Japanese people have higher average IQ so it's logical that when they're making something for average citizen they have to make it more intellectual for it to be popular?

This is basic logic.
>>
File: iq_by_country.png (28KB, 1357x800px) Image search: [Google]
iq_by_country.png
28KB, 1357x800px
>>87183552
huh really makes you think.
>>
>>87177305

FP not necessarily the best, but still the majority opinion based on a solid chunk of the show that seems pretty shitty P
>>
>>87181025
That is not the detention hall teacher's purview. Detention hall teacher should be concerned with order within detention classroom, not decapitations of students outside.
>>
>>87178628
transaltors note: keikaku means plan
>>
>>87179099
That word has lost any and all meaning. Also you'd do well to stop trying so hard to fit in on newfag boards
>>
>>87183749
>those little islands

that made me laugh
>>
>>87183365
It's because Death Note is for teenagers, not children, and Americans are especially retarded.
>>
>>87177292
Damn this is some of the edgiest tryhard shit I have ever seen.
>>
>>87183365
>japanese cartoons FOR CHILDREN are more intellectual than your average american tv show/movie?
The average anime is arguably as terrible as the average american television show. Death Note is a particularly good one and not a decent example of typical weebshit. For every Death Note there's 100 garbage moeshits.
>>
>>87177292
I did not enjoy it.

I thought going in at very least I would enjoy Willem Dafoe as Ryuk but no.
>>
File: 1453655028987.gif (439KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1453655028987.gif
439KB, 640x360px
>>87185979
>being so much of a plen that you disregard hundreds of shows for being "moeshits"
>>
It feels incomplete, even though I like it very much. I think people's complaints with the characters will be adressed with more character development in the sequel. I like how Light subtly became more manipulative as it went on, and Ryuk shows up subtly to influence him at times
>>
>>87186121
ryuk shouldn't really influence light though, he is pretty neutral through the entire affair
>>
>>87180048
In my opinion he came across as having forced intelligence.
>>
>>87179077
those are script problems not actor's. bLack nailed all of L's movements and quirks when he had a chance to show them, when the script asked for him to start acting retarded, there's just so much he can do.
>>
What exactly is the problem with the anime/manga story? Like, a real problem.
>>
>>87186176
I mean his presense seemed to influence Light, like in a figurative way. Did you like Ryuk's cgi? I rewatched it and even when he's brightly lit he looks very realistic. Other than the face, something about that.
>>
>>87186305
>>87186305
It's about a bunch of kids predicting each others' behavior in a goofy and totally unbelievable fashion? The method they're using has many loopholes? Light is said to be a genius but he's such an idiot at times? It's Qurcky and goofy? It's full of kitsch?

I don't, you tell me.
Those aren't even the only problems.
>>
>>87179326
>using the hidden piece in his watch but still carrying the Note around

For what purpose?
>>
How did the guy who killed their mom even die? He gets bumped a little and then shoots blood and brain juice everywhere.
>>
>>87186599
thats when he picks the note up and regains his memories you mongoloid

if he wrote down the yakuzas name in the normal book and he was the first one to hold it then it would be obvious that he did it, which is why he hid a piece of the notebook in his watch before giving up his memories
>>
>>87186574
I've seen this criticism before in these threads, but in the manga and anime, L used airtight deduction to pinpoint Light as the culprit. Nothing goofy, no hunches, just logic.
>>
>>87186509
That's because the costume is real, only the face is CGI.
>>
>Girl obviously killed the fbi agents
>Has demonstrated multiple times that she's psychopathic to the extreme
>his immediate assumption is "le magic deathgod loophole"
Yeah, he sure is "exceptionally bright"....
>>
File: 1431644527413.jpg (56KB, 356x374px) Image search: [Google]
1431644527413.jpg
56KB, 356x374px
>Could have hired a japanese guy to play L and would have fit the background way better
>Decide to go with a hooded, masked black guy for maximum #blacklivesmatter political parallels
Why is american media so cucked up?
>>
The movie is so goddamn retarded.

Light in particular is a complete fucking moron.
>>
File: 1500427671002.jpg (127KB, 724x678px) Image search: [Google]
1500427671002.jpg
127KB, 724x678px
>>87177292
BE HONEST WITH ME /TV/. Most of the people I know in real life said they enjoyed this movie.

Is the movie actually shit, or does it just trigger weeabo autistic manchildren and /pol/lacks who hate the fact that L is a nigger?

From reading these threads, I'm getting a sense that it may be the later.
>>
>>87186829
Wasn't the whole point that the characters were American instead of Japanese?
>>
>>87186918
I pretend to like the movie irl whenever asked about it
>>
>>87186675
You're calling playing specific message with guy pretending to be him only in a specific part of Japan a good plan? Most of the plans have no fundation to even work. They do only in the goofy fashion the show have and because makers can figure out if the characters are intelligent or stupid, so it constantly changes.
>>
I liked this movie for all the wrong reasons. I liked it because of how bad it is. And no, it trying to be campy doesn't excuse how shit it is. I like how Adam is so unsure of his own film making skills that he falls back to something he knows. Why make a good adaptation of Death Note or a unique story that's set within the death note universe that's still a good film when we can go campy with everything?

Make it all retarded and when anyone points out the flaws i can just use the excuse that it was supposed to be that way.
>>
>>87187012
Yeah, I think playing specific messages in different parts of the world starting with the zone he suspected the most because of the similar crime he identified as occurring in that region makes sense especially considering that this was created in the early 2000s before the Internet was ubiquitous. I don't understand your criticism at all. You're stating something rational which occurred in the series and then expressing disbelief at it without explaining the wherefores. Can you elucidate? L desu.
>>
Black L started out well then it it went to shit and it wasn't L any more.
>>
Is it worth watching? Even to further understand bad adaptations and what to avoid?
>>
>>87186918
It has a lot of flashy colors. That seems to be all it takes for most people these days.
>>
File: Screenshot (862).png (116KB, 794x319px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (862).png
116KB, 794x319px
>>87186829
>implying black L was even close to the problem

>>87186918
It was kinda pulpy and fun, but I wouldn't call it good.
>>
>>87187145
Bacuase how he get to that point is illogical and you think that something like that wouldn't be distributed through gossips?
The plan worked only, because of that he guessed the region right the first time.
>>
>>87187251
It was a pointless design change. Especially since him being all mysterious and legendary to the point that even light's dad had heard rumors about him, suddenly seemed to go out the window as soon as he showed up and started grandstanding and being a retarded as fuck "eccentric" who suddenly didn't give a shit about anyone seeing his face after he showed it to light.
Keep in mind that he still didn't know how he was killing all those people.
>>
>>87186688
Cool, I didnt know that. Clever use of cgi then.
>>
>>87183365
Japanese have a different aproach from western people when it comes to creating entertainment.

Japan wants to get a set group people, but wants to get them GOOD to get the most mony out of them, that´s why they go all out, Death Note is made for teenagers who want to see "intellectual" games, so Death Note gives that as much as possible

Westerns on the other hand, want to make money by getting the interest of as much people as possible, even if they don´t get a lot from each person. That´s way they have to dumb down things, can´t make things too complicated because that pushes dumb people away, can´t make it too dumb either, can´t put too much of X thing because you don´t want to push away people who like X thing, etc, etc.

That´s why most western movies, tv shows, cartoons and videogames are dull and repetitive compared to Japanese products, westerns are too scared of offending/alienating potential consumers while the japs want to get as much as they can from loyal costumers.
>>
>>87187355
>It was a pointless design change.
You could say the same about it being in america. It's an adaptation, characters will get changed to reflect their environment.

>Especially since him being all mysterious and legendary to the point that even light's dad had heard rumors about him, suddenly seemed to go out the window as soon as he showed up and started grandstanding and being a retarded as fuck "eccentric" who suddenly didn't give a shit about anyone seeing his face after he showed it to light.
Keep in mind that he still didn't know how he was killing all those people.
This is a problem with the script/director, not the actor. Him and William Defoe were the best parts
>>
>>87177292
Someone post the running webm
>>
>>87187310
And that' the part where you're supposed to believe L is a genius. Do you really wanted to see all his investigation taking place until he got to that asumption? That sounds boring.
>>
>>87187310
He picked the region due to a suspicious murder which fit the profile and was the earliest to occur there, and also since you're 15 you can't conceive of the world as it was before social media so I'm not responding to you anymore. You've been dealt with, and your criticism is downright stupid. Fuck off, child.
>>
>>87187456
>changed to reflect their environment.
>Black L is raised in japan as a spoiled rich kid
>Wears a hoodie and mask and somehow everyone in the US thinks it's completely fine that he holds a press conference chasing some god like vigilante
>no one questions anything
>>
File: 1402255874029.jpg (20KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1402255874029.jpg
20KB, 500x374px
>>87187421
>dull and repetitive compared to Japanese products
Most japanese stuff is dull and repetitive as well, mate. Your weeb glasses are just blinding you to it.
>>
>>87187310
What is illogical about?
The first Kira murder died on live TV because of a heart attack, it was well recorded and notorious even if isolated to a specific region.
Once the murders started happening, all he had to do was to gather information on people dying on heart attacks under special circumstances, and that first murder sticks out like a sore thumb, the hard part was getting info on it since as I said was isolated to the Kanto region, but that's what a detective does.
>>
>>87187456
Who gives a shit if it's a problem with the script or the actor? The comment wasn't "lol fuck them for hiring someone black". It was "this shit is dumb and makes no sense even in the context of the setting they've presented".
>>
>>87187583
A lot of teenagers wear hoodies, they need to appeal to as many as possible, and most people that will watch this are teenagers and young adults. Of course it will be Americanised.
>>
>>87187583
this is a problem with the film...not really the actor

>>87187679
>lol fuck them for hiring someone black
it looked like it
>Could have hired a japanese guy to play L and would have fit the background way better
>Decide to go with a hooded, masked black guy for maximum #blacklivesmatter political parallels
>>
>>87187808
It was a comment on them resorting to cheap political parallels in true netflix fashion as you can see right there at the end of the second sentence.
The comment would have been almost identical had it been a trans snowflake.
>>
>>87187185
He moves around too much to be L

L's meant to sit in a dimly lit room trying to figure shit out, not run around and address crowds out in the open
>>
>>87187645
If Kira wasn't human, and that wasn't clear the plan wouldn't work. If he was getting the TV of that region, not really being in it (which could happen, we're talking about a person, who kills people via magic, so TV from a region that he's not in is nothing big). If he wasn't living in that region, the rumors would start to spread and his plan wouldn't work.

And when his plan wouldn't work, Kira would know that L is trying to locate him and would try to fool him. L probably wouldn't get another shot at the location of Kira.

The plan worked only because he guessed the first time where Kira is. He would probably loose if not this lucky guess.

The plan worked also because Light (presented as particularly bright) suddenly became idiotic and got himself catch on what was obviously bait and provocation.
>>
>>87187914
meh, like I said, L's actor was probably the 2nd best thing about the movie, after Defoe. Even if it was for cheap political points, I didn't ruin the movie as much as the script did
>>
>>87188260
The political points are part of the script though...
>>
>>87188346
Again, if that what you call the political parts, were the worst parts, the film wouldn't have been that bad
>>
>>87188253
>If Kira wasn't human, and that wasn't clear the plan wouldn't work.
That was never a hypothesis.
Until the very last moment they discovered the Death Note, they worked under the assumption that the assassinations were being performed by a man or an organization using unknown technology.
For a detective, no matter how inexplicable the case is, going into the supernatural route is pointless. If the case is supernatural odds are you're never going to solve it anyway, so it's an utterly useless thing to do.

>If he was getting the TV of that region, not really being in it
How do you get a regional broadcast without being on it?
This is a live transmission in a world in which the Internet is not as widespread yet (not like regional TVs upload all their programming to Internet even now).
He killed the suspect in real time, so he catched the transmission the same time it was being transmitted, he was on the zone or near enough to capture the signal.

>The plan worked also because Light (presented as particularly bright) suddenly became idiotic and got himself catch on what was obviously bait and provocation.
Light is presented as a narcissistic cunt, him acting that way is perfectly on-character.
The premise doesn't work if Light works perfectly smart because no detective can beat the supernatural, you can only solve a case when you're completely aware of the premises you're operating under, when you bring the unknown into it the detective has no basis to operate in and it becomes unsolvable.
>>
>>87188583
>if that what
if what
>>
>>87186918

It's been 10 years since I've seen the anime, but I remember it just being a lot more interesting with all of the twists and turns that a sub 100 minute movie couldn't possibly deliver. There's no poignant moment where you realize Light be actually evil, like when he killed that agent's wife, for example.
>>
>Nearly every movie released in 2017 has great cinematography and colours
Someone explain this to me?
>>
>>87186918
Its the later and a few people who genuinely have problems with the writing. Although I feel The problems they have are exaggerated and most people dont agree so you may like it.
>>
>>87187962
nigga L battled Light in a tennis match, what the fuck you talking about
>>
>>87186918
>Is the movie actually shit,
No, its ok, 7/10 material.
> or does it just trigger weeabo autistic manchildren and /pol/lacks who hate the fact that L is a nigger
yup, undeniable. Also weebs don't understand what an adaption is and excepted the movie to be a shot for shot remake of the original.
>>
>>87183749
didn't work out so well for haiti, ehh
>>
>>87188818
Although childish, I get weeb's mindsets because the anime they love so much is almost always a 1:1 translation of the manga rather than an adaptation.
>>
Wingard is a hack. His bit in VHS sucked. His Blair Witch fanfilm sucked.
>>
>>87188851
>the anime they love so much is almost always a 1:1 translation of the manga rather than an adaptation.
"i dont know anything about anime" ftfy
>>
Fuck you I liked it, nothing like the anime but I thought it was fun maybe because I watched it with my gf and she has never seen the anime.
>>
>>87188917
No, Adam Wingard is actually a very competent director and one of the best of the current batch.
>>
>>87189009
This. So much this. Wingard is amazing, really.
>>
>>87179099
Death Note is normalfag tier and it even has a watchable dub.
>>
>>87189051
>a watchable dub
don't most popular animes?
>>
>>87189127
Popular anime are normalfag garbage.
>>
>>87177292
I love it. I like the manga a lot and it was very important to me back in high school but I'm glad Wingard did his thing and made something unique.

I think it reminds me most of All Cheerleaders Die. It's fast paced and uses horror as a style very well.
>>
>>87188586
>Light is presented as a narcissistic cunt
Yes, he is, but all of those plans work because once the characters are geniuses and they then suddenly fell into traps just because they've got signs "not a trap" on them. The whole story is built on that... And the movie exploits that.

I'm not saying the anime is a terrible shit or something. I liked it, I really did - it just has some issues and the movie is commenting on those.

Death Note is like an entrance to anime - you watch it you enjoy it, but then you watch other anime shows, that are much better and as time goes, it comes to you that this one is not so perfect as you thought it was and your understanding of its flaws grows to the point that you forgot most of its plot.

It isn't bad - it's just this sentimental souvenir from the past, that you don't like so much anymore. Like most of the movies/bands, you liked in middle/high-school.
>>
>>87189237
What's the best anime?
>>
>>87189290
Texhnolyze
>>
>>87189127
Most anime in general have watchable dubs. None as good as the original audio but totally watchable. Don't tell /a/.
>>
>>87189319
Hm. I saw that and IMHO it isn't close to Death Note in quality or execution.
>>
>>87189290
I'm the guy who was asked (and also OP).

Cowboy Bebop in my opinion - the improvisational tone and constant changes of style, each episode made differently with different music etc., etc.

This show is just jazz
>>
>>87189374
Sounds like it was 2deep4u
>>
File: 1390112138157.png (1MB, 891x695px) Image search: [Google]
1390112138157.png
1MB, 891x695px
>>87189363
>Don't tell /a/.
Are their people on /a/ that learn japanese just to listen to the original?
>>
>>87178751
*smacks lip*
>>
>>87189404
Yeah, Bebop is way better than Death Note. Not sure what's with Texhnolyzeanon because that one isn't close to being on par.
>>
>>87189440
I'm not even a native english speaker and i just listen to the original with english subs.

I mean - why would you watch non-original version that only tries to be as good as original but because of that it will never be as good as original?
>>
>>87189440
More often than not you only need to know certain words to get 90% of what's being said. Only in series with lots of dialogue (Ghost in the Shell) you would need subs or a dub.
>>
>>87178845
why are anime character designs so faggy?
>>
>>87189747
Fujos.
>>
>>87189440
I listen to the originals to keep up and reinforce my japanese. Better than a language lab
>>
>>87189747
They just like to clearly state most of the character's personality traits in the design.
>>
>>87188663
>great cinematography and colours
No. What it has is flashy colors. And it's been popularize now that the "adult" population has been successfully infantilized.
It's the same reason all kids shows are full of bright colors.
>>
>>87189894
>colours are childish
>everything should be gray
>>
I'm mostly surprised that Watari's name was real, and not an alias.
>>
>>87189724
>More often than not you only need to know certain words to get 90% of what's being said.
WOW. So THAT's how language works?!
What a pointless sentence you just formed.
>>
>>87189921
>deflection
Give me 5 examples of "great cinematography" from this flick.
>>
>>87189978
I haven't even watched this garbage.
You're just a retard.
>>
>>87190001
>Defending a movie's cinematography when you haven't even fucking seen it yet
Not sure what I expected.
>>
>>87190001
That's my favorite thing written in this thread.
>>
>>87190030
>implying I've ever defended the cinematography of this movie
I didn't expect anything and yet you disappointed me.
>>
>>87190068
>I was merely pretending
Aight.
>>
>>87190059
Really goes to show what the demographic for this crap is.
>>
>>87189319
>>87189290
>>87189404
I thought Neon Genesis Evangelion was ecumenically thought of as the best anime
>>
File: 1504051592923.jpg (1MB, 2000x1070px) Image search: [Google]
1504051592923.jpg
1MB, 2000x1070px
>>87189894
that's where you're wrong.
>>
>>87190275
I was hoping you'd post this. Good job showcasing exactly what I was talking about.
The only shot there which would even remotely qualify as decent cinematography is the one with L walking down that red hallway.
Possible also the ultra cliche "shallow focus on a gun" frame but that's been done to death so great is hardly the word I'd use.
Now please, feel free to provide some actual counter argument as to why any of those are great.
>>
>>87190399
I don't know about those posted there, but one of my favorite shots is this.
>>
>>87190399
This one was also nice
>>
>>87190541
>>87190508
That's nice.
But why? Think about it for a second and formulate a more indepth opinion than "dutch angle and pretty colors.
I'd have a whole lot more respect for people's opinions if they actually backed them up with a reason.
>>
>>87190593
The first one I like for the composition - next to camera there's Light's father, held by the policemen and rest of the shot is filled with carnival landscape. Viewer's eyes are focused on the background tho - with protagonists falling from the collapsing wheel. Focus on that point is also enforced by the fact that the background is blurry.

Sorry if any of it sounds bad - as I said, I'm not a native English speaker
>>
>>87183749
In the African version it would be used for only personal gain, but the user wouldnt get far because he can't read or write.
>>
>>87190828
Yes, well at least you gave it some thought.
That's better than most here.
>>
>>87190828
I mean, look at how small those point of focus are next to the rest of the shot. They're just some tiny figures falling.
>>
>>87190275
purdy colors.
>>
anyone have an edit with american light making faces at the prom? wtf were they thinking.
>>
>>87177292
It's not.

The characters are all incredibly flimsy and have zero depth at all. Motivations are never really explored or challenged.

The plot is incredibly rushed and there's never any real stakes since the characters aren't worth caring about
>>
>>87189051
I actually prefer the dub to the original in Death Note. Particularly L, Sidow and Ryuk
>>
>>87189921
>being this stupid
>>
>>87189237
You have been btfo'd over and over again, your shitty arguments are weak. Just shut the fuck up and accept you lost.
>>
>>87190593
The second shot is very easy to miss by the way - the scene with it last only for a couple of seconds just before the first part of credits changes onto the second one.

I just think how nice it is in contrast to the edgy-teenager Mia was in the movie. It's just her, in the center of a frame - dancing in a dress, alone. A pretty interesting thing to use as the last scene of the movie.

And again - maybe I'm repeating myself, but I'm a fan of camp. I love how Wingard made a homage to movies from the 80s, while also making camp out of the source material. The suspense is here, but it's also filled with those cringy, loopy and goofy things the anime had. And maybe he isn't saying that those elements are there in an ironic camp fashion clearly enough, but he is showing that all the time. Mia has a sticker "Normal people scare me" in her locker, she watches gory b movie, L is recreating the poses from the anime, and we have a chase scene at the end. Straight homage to movies like The Terminator. Light is using some law bullshit to scare the bully, the violence is so gory in the style of movies that Mia watches, music is either synth by Ross, or some hit form the 80s'. I love those things about a movie. He is also referencing comedy and horror hybrids in this movie.

But even in The Guest Adam showed how he mastered making a comedy that pretends to be a serious movie.

I enjoyed this flick - I'm not saying it's a definite masterpiece or something like that. Just seeing all of the opinions missing the point about this movie and mistaking it for something that it isn't kinda irritates me and made me start this thread. All of the negative opinions I saw were saying this movie is bad because it was different than the source material. Which isn't a way of saying if a movie is good or not.
Also mistaking intentional humor and elements for unplanned mistakes is also a thing in the reception of this movie.
>>
>>87191325
Man, watch the anime again and just saw how the characters are jumping from being super smart to utterly stupid.
>>
The anime was good - I'm saying that again - but you had scenes in which a character is emotionally eating cheaps to choir music, C'mon.

It was ok but IT WAS unintentional comedy - the movie is an intentional comedy that is mistaken for unintentional one.
>>
>>87191678
You're the only one who thinks this is an unintentional comedy anon. Is "Blair Witch" one too? Because that one was also garbage.
>>
>>87191069
The motivations are explored and challenged actually. They clearly show what they want and it's shown why they don't fully work.
>>
>>87192026
You mean intentional one?
Hasn' watch Blair Witch yet, but "You're next" and "The Guest" certanily were camp comedies.

And no - i'm not the only one:
>>87178470
>>87189037
>>87189009
>>87179971

And it wasn't even subtle.
>>
>>87192140
That looks hilariously like samefagging
>>
>>87192140
Also the scream thing is in the manga too so...
>>
>>87190275

Kind of want to watch it now.
>>
>>87192279
I don't really care how it looks, it's not
>>87192367
It is, but it's made much more hillarious in the movie - it's taking to extremum
>>
>>87177292
Why did he sit like that? It's so fucking cringey. I get that he sat like that in the animu, but who gives a shit? None of his quirks and weird ass mannerisms came across as remotely justified. It all seemed SO RANDUMB XD PENGUIN OF DOOOOOOOOOOM
>>
>>87178470
I'd be okay with this it had been presented as "comedy" before it came out. It wasn't, and the trailers were giving off a thriller/action-movie vibe.

And it was shit regardless.
>>
>>87192852
L only works if he's cute. Bobo the Boon was not cute, ergo it was fucking retarded.
>>
File: 1503974895062.gif (1MB, 480x486px) Image search: [Google]
1503974895062.gif
1MB, 480x486px
>>87187465
>>
>>87177739
>Trying this hard to convince yourself the movie isn't complete shit
kek
>>
>>87192973
>L only works if he's cute
get this fujo out of here
>>
>>87177292
If its really that good then why didnt I not watch it yet?
>>
>hey what's that?
>nothing, not your business
>oh, okay
>no, it's a death note.

Why would you make the main character a fucking retard?
>>
>>87186076
>plen

. . .Yeah, before you insult anyone's intelligence. You might want to learn how to spell.
>>
>>87194501
>You might want to learn how to spell.
holy fuck...
cant tell if this is bait but this guy should most likely "go back", he has to
>>
>>87194537
>Go back

Yes, go back to school and learn proper punctuation and spelling nigger.
>>
>>87194574
ur a newfag, I am just taken back about how much of a newfag you are
>>
>>87178470
Hey Wingard. Good movie.
>>
>>87194612

You type like a chimpanzee, or is it board culture to type like an all around retard?
>>
>>87194654
Kind of.
>>
The source material is trash anyway, at this point it can't get any worst it can only get better. Hope they make a Bleach movie on Netflix too.
>>
File: 867898.jpg (223KB, 644x600px) Image search: [Google]
867898.jpg
223KB, 644x600px
>flashes of outtakes and behind-the-scenes production in the end credits
>>
I watched it having never heard of Death Note. I enjoyed it overall, but thought the main character was a little bitch. I've started watching the anime (on episode 26), and I like it a lot more. I probably wouldn't have liked the movie if I watched the anime first.
>>
File: Untitled.png (703KB, 1435x644px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
703KB, 1435x644px
Is the entire point of Death Note not the constant battle of wits between Light and L to one up each other?

Instead they replaced that with pic related shit and made an L essentially pointless character whose only role in the story is to figure out Light's in Seattle and then cliffhanger kill him.
>>
>>87187012

I don't even like death note, but the fact that you're trying so hard to downplay the originals more cerebral ( and I use that term lightly) approach to build up this new shitty remake is laughable.
>>
>>87178845
>purposely omitting the drama L
2fresh2clean L fucks up your argument huh?
>>
>>87178845
>/pol/ shitting all over L because he is black
>He and Ryuk were the only good things in the entire film
>L would have been perfect if not for the script making him act completely out of character for MUH AMEIRCAN ACTION SCENE
I'm pretty triggered, actor was great, thankfully nobody important takes /pol/ seriously.
>>
>>87189127
Dubs being bad isn't just a meme forced by weebs, a lot of the earlier ones are pretty trash (Naruto era and before). But nowadays its rarer to find a bad dub.

>>87189363
>None as good as the original audio
Fuck off weeb plenty are on par or better than the original moonrunes.
>>
File: 1502817671944.gif (3MB, 400x362px) Image search: [Google]
1502817671944.gif
3MB, 400x362px
>>87196736
>nobody important takes /pol/ seriously.
>>
>>87196822
Now boyo I may not be the most powerful weeb in the world but I've watched a fair amount of anime and continue to follow shows as they air seasonly. I can say that there are only three dubs I consider 100% better than the original. Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Super, and Baccano. Then Space Dandy is equal. These are all pretty entry level but I assure my catalogue is pretty hefty so I'm trustworthy little boy. 62 days according to MAL.

That's not to say I don't often prefer to watch in my native language regardless of the voice acting quality. I do. I ain't got nothing to prove to nobody, and I won't stick my nose in the air at you for doing the same.
>>
>>87186829
>"redpilled" individual sees (((agendas))) everywhere
>as if he, himself, isn't a perfect example of one
>thinks everyone else is delusional and has problems

nigger, you need to check yourself.
>>
>its another womans lust for power ruins everything episode

reruns again?! come on.
>>
File: path blocked.jpg (197KB, 1920x802px) Image search: [Google]
path blocked.jpg
197KB, 1920x802px
>>87179390
*tries to turn right*
>>
File: 013.jpg (134KB, 1080x790px) Image search: [Google]
013.jpg
134KB, 1080x790px
Why is everybody left-handed? That's sick.
Also why is she so delicious?
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.