[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rogue One: Dumb Physics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: Star Wars Rogue One Sucks.png (1MB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Star Wars Rogue One Sucks.png
1MB, 1919x1079px
In Rogue One, this scene is absolutely retarded. This article does a good job of breaking it down:

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/rogue-one-hammerhead-star-destroyer/

Basically, if a "Hammerhead Corvette" can do that, it should be used in every space battle ever. Also, the physics of it being able to ram an ISD into another ISD with enough force that the second one pretty much *gets cut in half*, well, it's either impossible or the ISD is made out of paper mache.

Not surprisingly, Star Wars nerds will defend this...
>>
>real world physics don't apply in Star Wars

Woah...
>>
>>87036341
The physics of a movie should *at least* have internal consistency.
>>
>>87036381
Don't fucking speak to me
>>
>>87036436
>Not surprisingly, Star Wars nerds will defend this...

Well?
>>
>>87036381
the big thing crashed into the other big thing
they both react to it with some reasonable approximation of deformation and mass

dont be a sperg
there's plenty of other flawed shit with Rogue One and it's not the fictional realism of two spaceships colliding
>>
>>87036146
This is the same universe where ships travel faster than light
>>
>This SHIT tastes SHITTY gais!

stop eating shit you retard
>>
Got to say this was pretty funny to watch.
At most there would have been a big shock and maybe a dent in the ship, this is your reasonable expectation when viewing.
The fucking thing slices through it like butter. I know Star Wars has some comic relief but this was pure farce.
>>
you're almost a year late about this
>>
>>87036146

>A bee stung my meeouth

Stop eating bees then.
>>
be honest OP, are you on the spectrum?
>>
>>87036146
>Gets cut in half
It just shaves off the superstructure with its armored main hull.
every WW2-era battleship would shave off another battleship's superstructure if they were able to float around like that.
>>
File: Ramming speed.webm (3MB, 702x292px) Image search: [Google]
Ramming speed.webm
3MB, 702x292px
It literally makes no sense
>>
>>87036841
then why does the movie have gravity? how do ships fly through space? why do you need thrusters?
>>
File: blisteringpree.jpg (33KB, 504x500px) Image search: [Google]
blisteringpree.jpg
33KB, 504x500px
>>87037029
no

never
>>
The whole battle was unnecessary and retarded. They found uniforms and made their way to the storage room without any problems. But no, couldn't have a cool heist be the climax.
>>
>>87037312
The whole movie was unnecessary and retarded, the entire thing felt like badly written fan fiction
>>
>>87037218
>>87036146
>one small ship can take out 2 massive ships and a massive space station

yeah, totally plausible

and no defenses? no ships to shoot it down when it e ven got remotely close? no turrets or anything?
>>
>>87037218
yeah this is shit looks retarded to anyone with a basic understanding of physics

ever try to move a house? Newton 3rd law says every bones in your body will break before the house would even budge.
>>
>>87036146
Not this shit again.
>what are tugboats
Fuck off retard.
>>
>>87037632
Luckily it's a spaceship doing the pushing here and not a person.
Assuming the hull of the hammerhead is made out of an exceptionally strong metal, then there's nothing wrong with this scene.
Brainlets fuck off.
>>
>>87036146
I am no ship engineer but I assumed that ships have stronger and weaker structural points. That one SD was cutting through the "tower" section of the other one
>>
>>87037687
Are you saying a tugboat can cause one aircraft carrier to rip through another?
>>
1. The SD was disabled with ion bombs
2. It would take about the same amount of thrust as three space shuttles to achieve the movement, and the corvette definitely has that much thrust power if not more
3. The other SD got hit in its weakspot just above the superstructure and the upper half
4. It's star wars
>>
>>87037887
Also forgot to mention they were in a vaccum and zero-g
>>
>>87037029
Fuck you asshole, bees are integral to my dietary needs
>>
>>87037878
I don't know about cutting through but it could certainly cause a collision and some serious damage.
Now replace the tugboat with a spaceship with engines orders of magnitude more powerful and no water to cause friction.
>>
How do these ships even move?

They have thrusters at the back,but, how do they stop going forwards? Or move sideways?

If they can strafe side to side, why didn't the first ship just strafe in the opposite direction of the hammerhead and mitigate, or at least, reduce the force being imparted?

If they can strafe, why didn't the second ship, seeing the first come towards it, strafe away, and thus reduce the impact, or avoid it completely?

If they can't strafe, how the fuck do they move sideways? Do, they just have to spin around and use the only rear thrusters to control direction?
>>
File: 1438123247567.png (18KB, 243x260px) Image search: [Google]
1438123247567.png
18KB, 243x260px
>>87037878
/thread
>>
>>87037878
a tugboat could give an aircraft carrier enough momentum to rip the island off of another carrier.
>>
Star Wars exists only as a vehicle to demonize white people and culture.
>>
Star wars can't even be classified as science fiction since there's no actual science involved
>>
File: 1465802476941.gif (897KB, 800x430px) Image search: [Google]
1465802476941.gif
897KB, 800x430px
So basically a tugboat could, by gaining enough momentum, reach a speed that will completely nullify the thrust capability of a ship 100x its size. The tugboat will proceed to ram into it at that certain velocity WHILE MANAGING TO STAY INTACT and will, once the collision has been made, generate enough momentum to slice another ship 100x it's size IN HALF while keeping the initial ship solely intact

That's just fucking retarded

The hammerhead would need to reach an extremely fast speed and would have to be made of an autismo alloy that would allow it to stay intact while ramming the ISD. By that point, it would slice straight through the star destroyer, not push it. Also if that autismo alloy exists, why would a professional army with a multi trillion dollar research industry use it or at least counter it? Fucking bad writing is why
>>
>>87038592
well, the star destroyed was disabled and the hammerhead had shield
>>
>>87038636
shield stop projectiles u nigger also you only countered the weaked argumnet you still have like 4 to go lol
>>
>>87037878
no friction, retard
>>
>>87038592
>didnt watch the movie

annnnnnd /thread
>>
>>87038723
>DISABLED
>ZERO THRUST
>>
>>87037218
what game is this from?
>>
>>87037632
All of Newton's laws are outdated, Einsteins's theory of general relativity is where it's at
>>
>laser sounds in space
>>
>>87036146
I bet you found perfectly normal when the Falcon arrived on a planet at lightspeed , then rammed through an entire forest to finally slam twice on a hard rocky mountain to sit on the cliff completely unscattered!! That's JJ Abrams for you
>>
>>87037218
Good to see I didn't miss anything worthwhile by skipping it. It's the exact same problem as MCU flicks. Every scene is designed solely to be "cool" and/or "funny", and characterization and worldbuilding are ignored. If you apply the slightest thought then suspension of disbelief is impossible.
>>
autism le fred
>>
>>87036146
I can't believe this thread has people white knighting a cynical Kathleen Kennedy cashgrab.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.