[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ed Skrein Leaves ‘Hellboy’ Reboot After Whitewashing Backlash;

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

>Last week, when Ed Skrein was excited to announce that he would be playing the character of Major Ben Daimio in the upcoming Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen. In the comics, the character is of Asian heritage and there was an immediate backlash from the APA community. Today, Skrein took to Twitter responding to the public outcry saying, “I must do what I feel is right” and announced that he would be stepping down from the role.

>Hellboy producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin and Lionsgate & Millennium made a statement to Deadline saying, “Ed came to us and felt very strongly about this. We fully support his unselfish decision. It was not our intent to be insensitive to issues of authenticity and ethnicity, and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material.”

http://deadline.com/2017/08/ed-skrein-hellboy-whitewashing-backlash-lionsgate-millennium-1202157461/
>>
The other thread is still up about this. Please learn to use the catalog before shit posting. Also who gives a shit about Ed Skrein.
>>
>>87020177
Yeah listen to the guy spamming game of thrones threads
>>
>>87020116
biggest problem with color blind casting right here
>>
Gee Bill, TWO alt right crying threads?
>>
>>87020272
>only the alt-right cares about this
(You)
>>
>>87020272
Wouldn't that be reverse?
>>
Who? And Hellboy sucks.

Its like caring if they rebooted Blade. Learn from Spidetman, it's been done hollywood, move on!
>>
>>87020177
what website did you all come from? reddit or something else.
>>
>>87020301
>hide all the alt-right pussies crying about everything threads
>peace on /tv/
>b-b-but the SJWs are just as bad on this site!!!
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>87021375
Shouldn't you be in /pol/?
>>
>>87021430
This is an anonymous imageboard where there isn't a restriction on free speech faggot, go back to ledd1t
>>
Why are on-topic threads being deleted
whilst off-topic threads with links to patreon accounts being left up?
>>87012288
>>87019390
>>
>>87021517

i asked that same question and my guess is that either janimod is paid by studio to del nega publicity or janimod is triggered by the topic or was btfo in the thread can't think of good reply so decided to delete thread.
>>
>>87021638

and i expect janimod to give me a warning with some lame excuse like not contributing to quality of board or something for posting this
>>
File: 1477952895410.png (134KB, 317x392px) Image search: [Google]
1477952895410.png
134KB, 317x392px
>>87020116
Why is this shit an issue, then it's totally fine to make L a nigger in Death Note?

All this whiny shit does is actually make people more racist.
>>
>>87021773
This is happening in the same movie yet this mongrel isn't stepping down
>>
>and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material

Funny how they never think about this when replacing a ginger character for a black actor/actress.
>>
>>87021887
That's progress goyim !
>>
>>87020116
Now watch what happens after. For everyone who complains "omg, Hollywood is so SJW" and shit, they'll find out this is not the case when Ed Skrein finds difficultly finding any work in Hollywood after this. The uppers of Hollywood doesn't give a shit about any of that (only some actors and some directors), they use it to try to make money. Ed Skrein just made them look bad and openly talked about it. He won't find work easy to come by from now on.

Hollywood is going to fuck his career over there for not staying in line. He'll need to move on to find work elsewhere.
>>
File: 1494511336438.jpg (181KB, 563x821px) Image search: [Google]
1494511336438.jpg
181KB, 563x821px
>>87020116
>>Hellboy producers Larry Gordon and Lloyd Levin
>>
So, will actors stop being in movies that blackwash?
>>
>>87022107
no
>>
File: if-it-aint-broke-1.png (593KB, 1000x1432px) Image search: [Google]
if-it-aint-broke-1.png
593KB, 1000x1432px
>>87020116
>we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material
> consistent with the character in the source material
> consistent with the character in the source material

Oh, you mean like Heimdall as he was in norse mythology? Or Liz Allen as she was in Spiderman? Or Domino as she was in Deadpool? Or Roland Deschain as he as in the Dark Tower books? Or Tulip as she was in Preacher? etc, etc,
>>
wait, didnt they already blackwash a white character in this very same movie?

is she gonna be switched?
>>
>>87020116
Yeah, but lets stick in niggers everywhere.

Fucking faggots
>>
>>87020116
>we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material.

This should be done with everything, not just non-white roles.

>capeshit

not worth watching
>>
Oh boy another Asian role for Ken Watanabe! I can't wait!
>>
>>87023383

Electro, Valkyrie, Gamora (was coded white for decades), Starfire (ditto), etc
>>
at least this means a white James Bond is safe
>>
>>87021887
It's because of the infection of postmodernism and neo-marxism into public discourse. What were once, obscure theories about power structures and oppression has leaked into the mainstream. So now we don't think of people as individuals, we think of them as members of identity groups all competing for power.
>>
>>87021887
to be fair, whites can't complain about race-lifting because they'd look "racist"
>>
>>87023383
Reverse domino is a good way to have the spot and not have it be some weird fucking dalmation looking generic white bitch
>>
>>87024400

You don't have to make it that complex for him, just say that the media and the education system has spent the last three or four decades teaching white people to hate themselves and place no value on themselves. And it's been so successful that whites see a white character being replaced by a different race as good and wonderful, and see the opposite as evil and hateful.
>>
So that's an other reboot to discard without watching.
>>
It literally is only okay to change white characters. What a joke of a society we live in.
>>
>>87024549
>generic white bitch
wow racist >>>/pol/
>>
>>87023383
This.

It would have been better if those filty niggs step down.

That will actually mean a lot more
>>
wait, people actually give a shit about asians?

t. hong kongnese
>>
>>87020116
I couldnt care less desu. Hollywood is something different, its far away from reality and full of self entitled people. Opinions become more and more redundant in this business and normal people bite into this crap.

You cant argue with such people, in their mind they will always be right about this. For them, color is important. These people are new age racists but with a twist to the left.
>>
>>87020116
Good.

Ideally they should find an Japanese/American actor.
Then Asian/White.
Then Asian, then white.
>>
>>87024549
Niggers call dominoes 'bones' btw
>>
>>87020116
>“I must do what I feel is right”

in other words: "I want nothing to do with the inevitable shitstorm my casting will cause."
>>
>>87023383
Please be quiet racist nazi bigot cismalescum it's not the same it's alright when it's a white character.
>>
agree or disagree, its disingenous to call it hypocrisy while comparing it to so-called blackwashing

whites are obviously over-represented in Hollywood, so when a white person takes a role that was originally black/asian/whatever this is working against the cause of balancing out the representation

when a white character is played by a minority, this serves to help eliminate the discrepancy

again, you dont have to agree with the cause, and I'm sure most don't, but your either a retard or arguing in bad faith if you question why they don't do the same for blackwashing
>>
>current year
>casting white "people" in a film
>>
>>87024549
Domino is Asian you dip
>>
>>87025710
>whether it's ok or not depends on the color of the skin

contradictory retard (You)
>>
>>87025965
>didnt even read the post
>>
what about the rampant niggerwashing?
>>
>>87025710
>whites are obviously over-represented in Hollywood

Blacks are 12 percent of the American population. If they are in more than 12 percent of Hollywood roles they are actually the ones who are over-represented.

Additionally, according to the last US census Black/White couples are one of the rarest pairings in the united states, representing less than one percent of the couples in America. The only rarer one is Black/Asian, which is so rare it almost doesn't exist.

So, if Black/White couples in movies and television are shown to be more prevalent than one percent of the time then they are actually over-represented. Of course as we know from the last few years of Disney alone they show up on screen about 40% of the time. In fact in Homecoming Peter Parker had TWO black love interests and his antagonist The Vulture was married to a black woman and had a black daughter.

The only reason there would be this massive a mathematical discrepancy between reality and Hollywood reality would be if they are trying to change the way people think, and get them to accept something that is rare as commonplace.
>>
>>87025710
>blacks are 13% of population
>still manage to be present in every fucking film and given key roles left and right
>underrepresented

Really activates the old almonds, anon
>>
File: 1500505836854.jpg (68KB, 530x600px) Image search: [Google]
1500505836854.jpg
68KB, 530x600px
>>87020116
>recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material
the absolute state of jewllygood
>>
>>87026072
>implying
>>
>>87026112
Numbers vary based on year and how the data is gathered (eg. lead roles only, all speaking roles) but the highest percentage I've seen for blacks in hollywood films is 11%, with most between 6-10%.

As for the interacial part, 9% of married blacks are married to white people. Not really sure why you brought that up though.

I never said that Hollywood doesnt have a liberal bias or isnt pushing some agenda, just that its wrong to compare whitewashing and blackwashing (or any other minoritywashing) as true equivalents.
>>
>>87026771
>9% of married blacks are married to white people

This is completely irrelevant. We are not talking about representation within the black community, we are talking about the representation of these couples within the total population. You can work out from your own numbers what I'm saying is true. 9% of the black community which is around 12% of total population works out to around one percent of total couples.

That is what's relevant to what we are discussing; the total amount of black/white couples in America. Which is around 1% of all couples in America. The reason I'm bringing it up is you are talking about direct representation and over/under representation in media, and I'm pointing out that black/white romantic pairs, especially among leading characters, are so ridiculously massively overrepresented in Hollywood and UK movies and television shows that it's a farce statistically.

The only time there is this kind of massive distortion is when someone has an agenda and is trying to change the way you think.
>>
>>87027268
what type of relationships would you like to see represented?
>>
>>87027570

I would like to see reality represented.

We know what America looks like in the real world. If you are making a film set in America in our time then what reason is there to distort things demographically unless you have an agenda. If you were an alien and only gained information on the demographics of America from watching Hollywood movies, especially Disney, you would conclude that America is about 60% white, 30% black, 9% Latino and 1% Asian, and you would also think that black/white couples represent about 30-40% of the couples in America.

You would think similar things about the UK when in reality the UK is only about 3 percent black. 3 percent! Yet in UK television shows they are about 20-30% of characters and again 30-40% of couples.
>>
>>87027882
got a source for a single one of those numbers?
>>
>>87020116
>>Caring about the source material when it's a non-white caring
>>Give no fucks when the source material is a white character.
How do they keep getting away with this?
>>
this is dumb as shit who wants to see asians in movie? there isn't a single good asian actor anyways
>>
File: tom-baker-4th.jpg (33KB, 570x400px) Image search: [Google]
tom-baker-4th.jpg
33KB, 570x400px
>>87027932

Took about ten seconds.

>http://www.indexmundi.com/united_kingdom/demographics_profile.html
>United Kingdom Demographics Profile 2017
>Ethnic groups: black/African/Caribbean/black British 3%

>https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/24/diversity-race-gender-media-television
>After a campaign led by Sir Lenny Henry, the BBC pledged to increase the number of black, Asian and minority ethnic people on air by more than 40% as long ago as June 2014, as well as to almost double the number of senior managers from those groups who work at the corporation by 2020.
>>
>>87028165
>posting literal alt right conspiracy shit

ok i see, the problem is that your mom didn't abort you when she had the chance.,
>>
>>87028244

The guardian is alt right? Demographic data from the UK census is alt-right?
>>
>>87028313
Facts are racist, sweetie
>>
>>87028165
>uk
kek
>>
>>87028353

I should have learned this by now desu.
>>
>>87020116
test
>>
>>87020116
>You didn't see LaKeith Stanfield drop out when cast to play L.
>You didn't see Michael B Jordan drop out when cast to play Human Torch.
> You didn't see Ruth Negga drop out when she was cast to play Tulip O'Hare. >You didn't even see Zazie Beetz drop out when cast to play a character fucking named Domino for Christ sakes.

I really hope this was just the Studio telling him to fuck off, or I would really think this guy is a pussy. And either scenario would severely disappoint me.
>>
>>87020116
I hope a black guy gets the role just to see if he's also asked to step down
>>
>>87025735
Not in hollywood
>>
wew, someone with a backbone to actually keep the comics in line with the adaption

i dont like a hellboy reboot but i gotta give them props and that actor for not necessarily giving in, but acknowledging the bullshit that Marvel is doing

also
>muh boogeyman
the other team is doing it, you dolts, but when its the other way around, its progressive
>>
>>87028619
>Zazie Beetz drop out when cast to play a character fucking named Domino for Christ sakes.
Honestly my complaint is that she is too light to be Domino (Yes know she's pale white in the comic). I've seen dominos come in two ways, white with black spots, or black with white spots. So if you're going to cast a black girl why not a dark to actually look like a domino.
>>
File: one_of_these_things.jpg (685KB, 526x5272px) Image search: [Google]
one_of_these_things.jpg
685KB, 526x5272px
>>87029684
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0ftfKFEJg
>>
>>87024280
>Gamora
She had the decency to put on the paint, I've got no problem with Gamora.
>>
>>87028619
I still find Idris Elba being cast as Heimdall the most annoying just because it's based off a Nordic Viking character.
>>
Someone post the domino stuff. Affirmative action at its best
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.