[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The BLACKED Tower

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: we wuz cowboys and shiet.jpg (132KB, 762x620px) Image search: [Google]
we wuz cowboys and shiet.jpg
132KB, 762x620px
What went wrong? Didn't America want more Idis Elba playing white guys?
>>
trumps america happened baka
>>
I haven't read the books but it was a pretty bad watch, every few minutes I kept thinking "what's the fuck is that about? oh I guess its explained in the books"
>>
>>86952738
Man you /pol/fags are really full of yourselves, you literally create your own memes and then believe in them to the point you trigger yourselves
>>
>>86952851
This is so true

Still, aside from all the memes, I find it weird that black actors constantly get casted for white character roles. Why IS this happening anon? Legitimately curious.
>>
>>86952851
Dude, every commercial is a bi-racial couple...
>>
>>86953166
He's an inter-dimensional cowboy. Does race really matter in this specific instance? I could understand if it was a period piece or something but it's a fantasy movie ffs. Honestly I found Mcconaughey more off putting then Elba. Kept wondering why the Man in Black had to be so damn metrosexual
>>
>>86952738
Idris Elva was the least of that movie's problems.
>>
>>86956470
there's some interesting racial commentary in the first few books that doesn't translate unless he's white

i think they cut that plotline
>>
>>86956470
>Does race really matter in this specific instance?
Wasn't he a clint eastwood looking cowboy?
>>
>>86956470
Can't forget the face of your father if you've never seen him
>>
>>86956470
Not that anon but isn't the protagonist supposed to be an archetype man-with-no-name Clint Eastwood type? Idris Elba is not the first actor that jumps to mind for that roll. Though I understand what you're saying about whether it should really matter considering it's fantasy, a lot of the time in fantasy movies it's a good idea to have a protagonist that's grounded in the familiar.
>>
>>86956470
Well, it raises the question of what is the fucking point of making a white character black just to have a black protagonist when one of the protagonists in the book was already black and they cut her out for no real reason? Decisions like that make me think why did they even bother trying to adapt this in the first place if they obviously didn't care?
>>
>>86956548
Well yeah, when you try to condense three books into two hours, plotlines are gonna get cut, which is why the movie felt pretty confusing at times, which is probably the main cause of the poor critical reception.
>>86956700
I suppose, but shouldn't the character's actions be more important than their race when it comes to identifying what type of character they are? I thought Elba did a fine job acting the part, the writing left a lot to be desired, however.
>>
File: 1484926662770.gif (3MB, 286x258px) Image search: [Google]
1484926662770.gif
3MB, 286x258px
>>86956651
>>
>>86956830
But does the change of skin color really effect how we view Roland as a character? I could see your point if Roland was a character grounded in our world, since race does impact a person's experiences and how they are viewed in society. But Roland comes from an alternate world, where race dynamics could be completely different, if they exist at all.
>>
>>86956929
I can't comment on Elba's performance because I haven't seen it, and have no intention to. Bad casting or not, it does sound like this movie had far bigger problems anyway and would have failed with a more suitable actor. But it's probably not a good idea to piss off the (admittedly, relatively small) fanbase by changing what the protagonist looks like, when, as I understand it, the cowboy archetype is fundemental to the character.
>>
>>86957206
>not that guy but
The Cowboy archetype could very easily be identified without it being a clone of Clint Eastwood. Everything about the visual design of the costumes Screams "Western". Dies it really matter if he's black.
Plus this isn't like Capeshit material, the source doesn't stem from a visual medium, so i feel it really lessens the importance of a character's likeness being 1:1
>>
File: 1454360036013.png (179KB, 789x380px) Image search: [Google]
1454360036013.png
179KB, 789x380px
>>86953166
>Why IS this happening anon?

Jews.
>>
>>86953166
How often though? Most actors being casted are still very white.
>>
>>86952851
have you watched television lately? Hell I went to one site just now had black woman x white male coupling. Go back to 90s commercials and tell me how many interracial couples you see.
>>
>>86952738
it doesnt have any merchandise and therefore doesnt need to be hyped up
>>
>>86957097
If it doesn't matter then why change it in the first place?
>>
File: RightAgain1.jpg (25KB, 625x370px) Image search: [Google]
RightAgain1.jpg
25KB, 625x370px
>>86957614
>(((Herold)))
why am I not surprised anymore
>>
File: 1503272854724.gif (599KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
1503272854724.gif
599KB, 500x263px
>>86956651
>>
File: coffee kek.png (204KB, 493x451px) Image search: [Google]
coffee kek.png
204KB, 493x451px
>>86956651
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.