[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>DEFILADE Third time watching this movie, and I still have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: th.jpg (38KB, 460x259px) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
38KB, 460x259px
>DEFILADE
Third time watching this movie, and I still have no idea what that means.
>>
>>86934744
its an army tactic
>>
>>86934798
For what?
>>
I think it means get something (cover) between you and where the gunfire is coming from.
>>
>>86934839
What?
>>
>>86934744
>enfilade

When a military unit is in position to fire upon the greatest part of an enemy unit, causing the most potential casualties. An example of this is Captain Winter's charge in Band of Brothers, as they ambush a mass of SS soldiers from the side in an open field.

>defilade

When a military unit has hard, typically natural, cover and concealment from enemy fire. An example of this is the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan, when the US soldiers are behind the sea wall and no longer getting shot.
>>
>>86934859
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enfilade_and_defilade
>>
>>86934918
So, enfilade is the bad one
>>
>>86934992
If you're in enfilade you die by definition.
>>
>>86935025
what if there's natural cover?
>>
>>86935046
Enfilade is only a thing if you're unable to find cover. Take the sea wall in SPR, for example; if there was a machine gun at either end able to fire down the full length of the wall the US soldiers would be in enfilade and would all die.
>>
>>86935080
why would you pick a battle that takes place with no cover?
>>
>>86935095
Sometimes, sadly, you don't get to pick your battles. They just happen.
>>
>>86935046
Then it's defilade. Did you not read any of his post you daft cunt?
>>
>>86935111
It's not how I would wage a war.
>>86935122
Now, I'm confused again.
>>
>>86935137
It's not how anyone would like to wage a war, but one side has to lose.
>>
>>86935160
Yeah, and it wouldn't be my side.
>>
>>86935179
t. german
>>
>>86935137
Enfilade is specifically what happens when a unit is exposed and the enemy has a shot along the longest axis of said unit, making it virtually impossible to miss. An example of this in the movie is when the landing craft first land and they get massacred, as they are one large block of targets.

He's yelling defilade because he's telling his men to either find cover or advance while spread out as much as possible.
>>
>>86935257
Why yell it? You're in the army. You should know whether to look for cover. Don't need Tom Hanks shouting that every time.
>>
>>86935291
it cant hurt to remind them.
>>
>>86934811
for you
>>
>>86934744
its stupid high tech nerd talk for "hide from the bullets"
>>
>>86935291
When in high stress situations people benefit from having someone tell them what to do
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.