[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

honestly...what went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: adam-wingard.jpg (14KB, 214x317px) Image search: [Google]
adam-wingard.jpg
14KB, 214x317px
honestly...what went wrong?
>>
>>86915137
He was never all that good. I enjoyed "You're Next" and "The Guest," but they were also loaded with inconsistent characterization, plot holes, faulty logic, etc. He managed to find a tone with those two films where his particular brand of shittiness just worked, the flaws could easily be dismissed as an intentional feature of the genre.

He was just in over his head with something like "Death Note." Not that the source material is a masterpiece, it had its own flaws for sure. But the whole appeal of that series was to watch two "genius" characters in an increasingly complicated struggle to avoid being caught by each other. It depends on detailed, logical plotting and Wingard just wasn't the right guy for that.
>>
>>86915524
didn't he do the new Blair Witch? that was kinda crummy too.
>>
>what went wrong?
The indie film industry heaping praise onto this guy for no reason. He's never made a good movie, but for some reason, people have been jacking him off for years. The only way I can even think to explain it that people liked the parts of his movies that worked (like the retro imagery of The Guest) and completely ignored everything that didn't because they wanted him to get better. Now he's incapable of listening to criticism and has an unreasonable high opinion of his abilities.
>>
He things Godzilla vs Destoroyah is a good film.
>>
>>86916246
*thinks

My spelling isn't as bad as his twitter tantrums at least.
>>
>>86916190
the Guest and You're Next were fine and with some work could have been really great. But he really never got any better and now his work just sucks
I guess he's the white Robert Rodriguez
>>
>>86915137
Poor man's Ti West, and Ti West already kind of sucks.
>>
>>86917039
Good call
>>
>>86915137
he can make decent horror schlock but anything beyond that hasn't turned out to good
>>
>>86917891
Has he directed anything that wasn't horror schlock?
>>
>>86917982
the guest and deathnote
>>
>>86918032
Those both seemed like horror schlock to me.
>>
>>86916246
No Godzilla is a good film
>>
The Guest works specifically because Dan Stevens is based, and having Clan of Xymox on the soundtrack. The directing had nothing to do with it.
>>
>>86918113
they aren't horror but there are horror aspects to them
>>86918343
yeah the guest works because Dan stevens is so good, I just don't think Wingard can direct his actors
>>
>>86918274
Destoroyah is garbage. Critics tore it apart in Japan. The only reason people like it are either because of nostalgia or "the ending is so sad :'(" It's your standard Heisei flick filled with lazy effects and characters that go nowhere.
>>
He also directed that shit eye skit in v/h/s 2
>>
>>86915524
Basically this.

But also, the guy can't handle criticism. I remember when people were shitting on the Blair Witch sequel/remake/whatever last year, and he decided to shit on Clint Eaastwood's Sully, saying "bro I told you we shoulda made that movie about the boring guy who landed a plane in water instead."
>>
>>86915137
His mustache is separate from his beard. That always makes you look like a pedophile.

>>86919012
These up and comer directors really need to start learning from their peers mistakes and stay away from social media. They just end up making asses of themselves. Really makes you wonder how many past directors were secretly lulzcows and we never knew because there was no twitter.
>>
>>86915137
he had to cram at least 28-30 episodes of some korean's cartoon for infants, i'd rather have new protagonists and not a watered down version
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.