[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: IMAG0194.jpg (1MB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0194.jpg
1MB, 1840x3264px
New Japan General since the old one is about to die

As always, feel free to ask about:
>travelling to Japan
>living in Japan
>teaching in Japan
>how do I become a Yakuza

Also info on prostitution in Japan: http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/

Please refrain to the old thread while it's still up >>958681
>>
Before I move to japan to study, I'm thinking about getting a 3ds or PS Vita. Would this be worth it for the Japanese games and VNs?
>>
>>962593
I believe the games are region locked, so you wouldn't be able to play a Japanese game on an American/European console.
>>
>>962596
Oh okay. I'll look into that more. I could probably get the consoles for a lot cheaper in japan also.
>>
>where in Kyoto did you do the tea ceremony?
I went here:
http://www.teaceremonykyoto.com/
>>
For those of you planning on visiting Japan but don't speak the language, here's a audiobook teaching you some basic phrases to help you get by:
https://kickass.to/collins-easy-learning-japanese-audio-course-by-y0-h1-t3387063.html

Japan has English being taught as part of their school curriculum, but very few people are fluent and only know basic rudimentary English. As a point of reference, it's comparable to Spanish being taught in the States or French being taught in Canada.

A tip for people to get by, is to bring a pen and notepad with you to help overcome the language barrier by scribbling down pics or symbols. For example, writing down "$?" to ask for the price of an item and passing it along for the store clerk to write down the price.
>>
>>962596
3DS is, VIta isn't, although you might need a spare memory card. Ask /v/ for details.
>>
Damn, there are too many places in Japan I want to visit. Of course there is Tokyo and other cities that are must-see, but I want to travel north to Hokkaido to try their seafood and go to a hot spring [spoiler]just like my animes[/spoiler]
And then there is Okinawa in the south where the diet, lifestyle, and near tropical climate is the cause of the longest-living people on the planet.
>>
>>962593
The vita is multi-region. There's not really many good games for it though. The 3DS is where handheld gaming is at, although it is region locked. Unless you know Japanese or want to use it as a sort of study aid (lol) you're better off buying one in your home country and just ordering games off amazon.
>>
Is there anywhere in Japan that would be cheap to live alone and not totally terrible living conditions/quarters?
>>
>>962620
yes.
>>
>>962611
first time I went to Japan was for three weeks and I spent five of those days on Okinawa. Was my favorite part of the whole trip and I am returning for another week soon. Would definitely recommend it
>>
>>962620
define cheap
>>
Studying in Japan in a year and debating on rather to visit before or not. I kind of want it to be a huge surprise and be forced to assimilate. Is this a bad idea?
>>
>>962648
It's a modern country. You can get by easily enough knowing no Japanese. Keep it a surprise
>>
Just finished Junior College and I'm wondering what college and major I should aim for if I want to teach English abroad? Everyone says you can do that for five years at the most before moving back to America, but that makes no sense to me. Anyone /jp/ teaching English over there? How long have you done it and how's the pay? I'm still young and I hear they like that, but I'm also [spoiler] black[/spoiler] which I hear they actually don't mind.
>>
I suppose this might be a retarded question, but is there anything I should know about Japanese movie theaters?

I ask this because I'm going to be in Japan on exchange when the Mushishi film will be airing, and I thought I might take a train to one of the locations in Tokyo to see it.
>>
>>962651
I'm in Japanese classes and I'm also learning the language on my own so I shouldn't be fully lost.
>>
>>962663
Keep it a surprise then
>>
Any recommendations in regards to which area of Kyoto I should stay for 5 days? Kyoto seems really spread out, any advice on how to get around? Should I book two hotels, one for 3 days and one for 2?
>>
>>962676
Kyoto isn't really that big, and the transit system they have in place is pretty straightforward and easy to get around. So location doesn't matter tbh. Kyoto offers single day passes for buses for about $5. So you can make multiple trips/connections without worrying about inflating your budget too much. So just stick with one hotel or accommodation. But if you're really keen on staying at multiple locations, try staying at a hotel and than a Ryokan (Japanese Inn).

My suggestion would be to carefully plan what activities you want to do, and than check the location on google maps and coordinate them all. So that all your activities that day are in the vicinity of one another, it'll save you a lot of travel time and it'll allow you to get more out of your day there.
>>
>>962648
You don't have to visit the country beforehand, but I think it'd be a good idea to study up on the language before you go. You'll still experience culture shock being in a foreign country, but knowing a bit of the language will help you navigate the country better and make better use of your time there.
>>
>>962624
Where do you recommend? Thanks.

>>962630
If I went over there with $4,000-$5,000 USD, could I find a decent (not totally falling apart apartment in a decent (safe) area that I could afford for a few months (including other living expenses as well, of course) while I find other sources of income as well to keep that place? Thanks
>>
>>962703
you mean on a working holiday visa? You could check out Gaijin houses like Sakura House or Oak. You can get your own room in a share house for around 400-500$/month and an apartment for maybe 800$/month.
>>
File: 1420174753566.jpg (16KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
1420174753566.jpg
16KB, 400x309px
>>962561
I have a masters degree in accounting and bachelors in finance, looking for a change in career.

Do many corporate jobs in Japan require knowledge of their language? I'm down pat with their customs so won't be going around shaking womens hands and slapping people on the back, I just absolutely suck at learning new languages.

>Also, does teaching pay well in Japan?
>Do their universities require domestic attained degrees, or can my western earned accreditation translate to their teaching system?

I'm just sick and tired of the west and it's melting pot mentality. I want to live in a community that embraces their own culture and shows respect for one another.
>>
>>962720
So you want to go to a country that embraces its own culture

and be a foreigner there.

ok.
>>
File: 1422899313748.gif (1MB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
1422899313748.gif
1MB, 400x500px
>>962731
>Be a foreigner among those that hold their own culture above all ideals
or
>Live in my native culture that absolutely hates itself and will do anything to dilute itself with Muslims and outside influence

I'd rather the prior.
>>
Going in a month an a bit, planning to see as many performances as possible, so far:

> Kabuki
> Geisha
> Bunraku
> Noh
> Buyō
> Takarazuka
> that Bar Kagaya

Anyone know of any other potential performances, I'll watch anything.

> inb4 Robot Resturant
>>
How's programming and it in general there? Could someone land a job in teaching it stuff with a cs degree?
>>
I'm going to marry the ugliest fucking japanese women I can find just for permanent residency. It's not like she'll leave me because I'm pretty much a 7/10 to them.
>>
>>962766
Why in the world would they hire you over a Japanese person?

This response could be used for nearly any job question people have about Japan.
>>
>>962657
>what college and major I should aim for if I want to teach English abroad?
It doesn't matter. A college degree is only a requirement in order to get a working visa - it doesn't matter what it's in.

>Everyone says you can do that for five years at the most before moving back to America
The JET program has a five-year limit. Other companies have no such policy.

I've been teaching for four years now. The pay varies with your company and job position, but I make enough to live comfortably and still save some money.
>>
>>962661
Nope. It's easy enough to purchase a ticket either at the counter or using the machine in the lobby.
>>
>>962758
There's a great drag show in Fukuoka called Anmitsu Hime if you're into that kind of thing.
>>
>>962705
Great, thank you! I'll look into that
>>
File: tumblr_megtm39TNr1qfvrzvo1_1280.jpg (719KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_megtm39TNr1qfvrzvo1_1280.jpg
719KB, 1280x853px
Where's a good place to order discount tickets for Robot Restaurant? I've seen a few places here and there but haven't heard of anyone's experience ordering from these places. I leave in 60 days, if that helps.
>>
Are tsundere cafes just an urban legend?
>>
>>962737

Yeah well Japan's gonna become a melting pot in the coming years (otherwise the country has no future, and making more kids doesn't seem to be an option), so maybe you should choose another country, you racist fuck.
>>
>>962758
> Takarazuka

Why? You do realize it's just a very shitty and mind-boggingly glittery musical?
>>
>>962842
Not wanting ketchup on your cake doesn't mean you hate ketchup
>>
>>962758
If you're in Kyoto, you should check out the Miyako Odori. You can reserve tickets online. I recommend the special class tickets as they include a short tea ceremony before the show.

>>962657
Your degree doesn't matter, but experience teaching or working with kids will help. For JETs, there's a five year limit, but some teachers get hired directly by the Board of Education.

>>962832
They exist. Don't know the names of any of them though.
>>
>>962846
Oh so you seriously think that your "muslims are ok, just not in my country" mindset...is not racist. Right.

You know there's a better country than Japan for you. Proud of its history, ferociously protecting its culture against the muslims, jews and gays: Russia. That's where you should move, buddy.
Plus, Russia is way "purer" than Japan, whose practically whole culture, language, writing and belief system comes from China. Hell, before the chinese came over to visit them thousands of years ago, japanese natives didn't even know how to make and process iron. In a lot of ways, Japan is a complete melting pot already. Granted, a melting pot of slanted eyes, but a melting pot nonetheless.

So think Moscow, not Tokyo.
>>
>>962850
>They exist. Don't know the names of any of them though.
Great, I just gotta visit one.
I'm not really a fan of tsundere, really. In fact, I kind of hate it. I'm just doing this for curiosity.
>>
>>962854
You mean you're gonna pay money and knowingly spend time at a place whose sole concept you hate...just for the experience? (experience you will probably naturally...hate?)
Why? Is it just because "it's japanese"?
>>
>>962603
>japan
>$
>>
>>962856
[spoiler]The joke was that I'm tsundere for tsundere[/spoiler]
>>
>>962863
Oh ok, so you're just one of "those" people. Right. My bad.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.