[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Dubai worth visiting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 5

File: doobie.jpg (7MB, 4000x2807px) Image search: [Google]
doobie.jpg
7MB, 4000x2807px
Is Dubai worth visiting?
>>
If you want to go to a shopping mall but with Arabic signs too yeah sure. It's clean I guess.

Kind of shitty post tho
>>
Its a great place for a layover. Abu Dhabi is pretty legit with Ferrari World and there are so few people in the UAE you can go to any attraction and walk right in.
>>
File: BfLUQwqIUAA5uUH.jpg (51KB, 599x486px) Image search: [Google]
BfLUQwqIUAA5uUH.jpg
51KB, 599x486px
If you are a real traveler, probably not. But if you like tourist shit, escapist vacations, it's great. Lots of things to do. From base jumping to sand duning. To clubs to concerts. Like Vegas without the gambling. They may even have that, too.
>>
No. Malls are empty other than sun glass stores and cell phone stores. Like 90% are empty spots, and the other 10% are sand nigger bling stores.

The whole we need to transition from oil to something else failed because the government said we want to be like the USA, what makes the USA the USA? Highways, malls, high rise buildings!

So they built all they but are stuck with their same retarded sheep raping population.

It's like China, only way lower quality. The big fancy airport? Looks like shit; minor construction errors, cheap materials, poorly installed fixtures.

Avoid it, unless your a sand nigger and like sand nigger bling.
>>
It's good for a fun layover or family trips, but it's shit if you're looking to experience something new.

If you want to experience Arab culture while being a safe distance from the bombs and not having to feel like you're in a completely repressive hellhole, do Muscat, Oman.
>>
>>958792

> If you are a real traveler, probably not.

I liked Dubai. In a way, it's actually perfect for "Real Travelers." You might not be able to get away with dressing like a grungie hippie, but you can definitely take a break from the malls to see how ordinary people live. I really enjoyed exploring the Dubai Mall, taking the metro to al-Ras, and walking along the Creek to the area near the Fish Market. Wander the backstreets a while and you'll hardly believe that you're in a city that's portrayed as being ultra-modern and unbelievably rich. Half the signs are in Hindu or Urdu, and virtually nobody can speak more than a couple of sentences in Arabic. You may as well be in South Asia.

Personally, I found that disparity to very interesting. As a poor student (my uncle was working in Dubai until recently, so I had a place to stay for free), I liked all of the cheap eateries, convenience stores, and Internet cafes in these kinds of areas.

I was also impressed by how friendly so many people - especially the immigrants - seemed to be. My first time in the UAE was in 2013, and I misread my uncle's directions on how to find his villa. I wound up trying to walk from the airport to a metro station several miles away in 120F/50C temperatures. People kept pulling over on the side of the road and waving at me. I ignored them because I thought they were taxis or wanted to profit off giving a tourist a ride. Ten minutes later, a guy in a newer car pulled up next to me, asked where I was going, and offered to drop me off at the metro station down the street from his job. I asked him how much money he wanted and he just waved his hand and said, "nothing - it's too hot to be walking outside."

Another time, I had a taxi driver who stopped to pick up an Arab guy whose Ranger Rover was out of gas on the side of the road. The taxi driver was helping him out for free; I said "Ramadan mubarak" to the Arab, and he wouldn't stop saying "thank you" for five minutes.
>>
>>958808
>ordinary people

They're slaves, SLAVES! Also if there are signs in any language other than Arabic, it's not authentic.
>>
>>958825

I mean... what I was getting at is that I'd figure Real Travelers would love the chance to tell their friends and family that they went to Dubai, ventured off the beaten path, and got to see the impoverished, evil underbelly of the city.
>>
>>958825

Also,

> implying that a Real Traveler would be able to differentiate between Urdu and Arabic
>>
>>958835

Real Travellers get upset at the idea of a mere plane change in Dubai. Do you think they're going to be wandering the streets of al Karama on their own volition?
>>
>>958837

I guess I'll never live the Real Traveler life.
>>
genuinely upset dubai exists
>>
File: 1424211243885.jpg (42KB, 400x462px)
1424211243885.jpg
42KB, 400x462px
>>958838
>Not wanting to be a Real Traveler®
>>
>>958758
Fun for a week, its cool seeing the worlds biggest this, next to the worlds tallest that, right across the street from worlds most expensive something

But there is absolutely no culture and after you see those things there is nothing in the city that you couldn't do at any major city in the world.

I was there three months and that was more than long enough
>>
>>958864
why were you there for so long
>>
>>958865
Study Abroad. Everything but my books and plane ticket were paid for. The one good thing I can say I got out of it was that I learned Iranians are some of the coolest people you'll meet, they just have a shitty government
>>
I'm planing to do a 48h stop over in Dubai on the way to Bangkok. IF you fly emirates, you can get the stop over plus a 48h visa for free.

I spent a couple of hours on a layover in Doha a few years back and already got curious about the people, the culture and so on just because of seeing a few Arabs in their flowing white dresses at the airport....so why not spend 2 days in Dubai when you are already there anyway?
>>
>>958891
their government isn't even that shitty by middle eastern standards. they're doing their best to keep the islamists from taking over, and that involves a large degree of political repression.
>>
>>958899
how does the visa work exactly? I am contemplating between a layover in Dubai or Istanbul, but I was afraid I'd lose too much time in Dubai since I need a visa there
>>
>>958758
I had a stop over in Abu Dhabi for a day and really enjoyed it, just because it was so different to what I'm used to. Was supposed to spend a day in Dubai on my way back but my flights got changed. Once I'm done in Tokyo I'm planning to move there for a few months.
>>
>>958938
Depending on what country you are from you can get Visa on arrival
>>
>>958954
I am from Slovakia
>>
>>958938
I haven'T done it yet, but as far as I've seen you need to 1) Book a flight with Emirates with a layover in Dubai 2) Contact one of their partner travel-agencies in your country to extend the layover to a few days-stopover.

More info here:
http://www.emirates.com/english/destinations_offers/dubai_stopovers/dubai-stopovers.aspx
>>
If you're on a layover: sure. Otherwise: no, not really.
>>
>>958971
and if I'd just want to spend say maybe 10 hours there? Is that possible as well? Because if I understood what's written in the link correctly, I'd have to get additional accommodation too right?
>>
>>958958
Slovakia, you can get a visa on arrival http://www.dubaifaqs.com/visa-arrival-dubai-free-nationalities.php
>>
>>958989
Sure, you'd have to pay for accommodation and transport and what not. They only offer you to arrange it for you.

Whether or not a 10 hour stop over is possible depends on their flight schedule. There are several flights a day to popular destinations; but if you head to a less popular one with just one flight a day or 4 flights a week (or whatever), such a short stop over clearly won't be possible.

But again: I have only looked into it and not actually done it. Might be good for you to just get in contact with their partner travel agency in your country to figure it out.
>>
>>958903
Its pretty shitty when citizens of your own country feel safer staying somewhere else and not seeing their family when the semester is over. I was there during the Iranian elections and the arab Spring.
>>
>>958990
ah thanks
>>958993
well probably going to book my flight next week, so I'll ask at Emirates until then
>>
>>958758
I'll just chime in and say that Dubai is certainly worth a layover--as unpleasant as it can be, it's also really strange, and that weirdness is enough to make it interesting in small doses--but it's not the sort of place I'd choose as a destination in and of itself. Glad to have been there (and Abu Dhabi, as well, which is arguably a bit nicer). Won't be sorry if I have to lay over there for a few days en route to somewhere else. Won't hurry to go back.
>>
It's a shopping mall in an oven built by slaves.
Like the others said, the parts of the city where the immigrant labour live are just as interesting as the futuristic bling parts. Make sure you see both.
Taxis and cigarettes are very cheap, everything else is expensive. Don't go during Ramadan.
>>
>>958758

They have the best water parks ever, so yeh
>>
Why do people care so much about how the migrants are treated, its their problem not yours.
For a travel destination Dubai is worth visiting cause it has many landmark, its a bit bland but its different from most cities
>>
>>959713
Dubai is an on the fence travel destination for a lot of people that aren't super rich. If you're unsure and you hear about the city being built by slave labor maybe you decide to go somewhere else. People that really want to go will go but theres no need to give them extra money to continue their slavery.
>>
>>959727
>super rich

You're that guy who thinks you need a trust fund not to eat complete garbage all the time, aren't you.

Dubai doesn't have to be expensive if you aren't staying at the Burj Al Arab. It's not any more expensive than other developed countries and it's cheaper than a lot of them. Real life =\= Sex and the City 3.
>>
>>959727
>continue
Women are sexually exploited in Thailand, you can get rob in brazil. its not different than anywhere else
>>
File: fuck you evolution dubai.jpg (57KB, 716x556px) Image search: [Google]
fuck you evolution dubai.jpg
57KB, 716x556px
>>958805
>it's shit if you're looking to experience something new.

Unless you have never experienced anything like it before, in which case it is a new experience.

I liked it. The cludging together of Arab culture and modern nouveau riche all-out consumerism is oddly interesting, the beaches are OK, there are plenty of good places to eat and the obsessive World's Biggest Toenail Clipping Pile!!!!! approach to things is surreal.

Fucking with the guys selling fake Rolexes at the Gold Souk can kill an entire afternoon all by itself...

>>958864
>But there is absolutely no culture

You mean like Art and Theater and Concerts? I think you are wrong, though obviously a lot of that is going to be imported.

If you mean culture like "the indigenous culture is so fascinating, the way they live and their folk traditions and all," then you are less wrong. It exists, but you wont have access to it because unless you have some "in," the Arabs are not going to be interested in interacting with you at all, in most cases. But there's another wide open culture going on there -- hookup with some of the mad Indian entrepreneurs hustling their way through life trying to grab the Brass Ring of getting some Arab interested in some scheme they've got going. Those guys live a bizarre life, and can be a ton of fun of you can get to know therm -- which is at least easier than getting close to the native Arabs.

The place is not everybody's cup of tea, obviously. But unless you only want to experience the right sort of "different" ways of living while on your travels, it is worth a visit.

Pic from dinosaur-decked penguin display at big-ass aquarium in World;s Biggest Shopping Mall in Dubai related.
>>
>>959786
>Fucking with the guys selling fake Rolexes at the Gold Souk can kill an entire afternoon all by itself...

My, friend, I have genuine fake watch for you
>>
File: dubai you bastards.gif (115KB, 619x431px) Image search: [Google]
dubai you bastards.gif
115KB, 619x431px
>>958891
I spent some time with an Iranian in Dubai earlier this year. I was working a festival, he kept bringing me energy drinks and orange soda,because he was interested in what I was doing, Eventually wound up picnicking with his entire family for a afternoon on Jumeira Beach. Great folks.

While we were there, we noticed a big camper with "Iran Is Great" painted on the side, so we went over to see what that was about. It was a French Family who had rented the thing in Turkey, and were driving slowly to South Fucking Africa, where they would take a plane to Chile or some damn where and drive north (GAP'S CLOSED!) to Oregon, taking a couple of years and showing their 8-10 year old children a slice of the world. They were also nice folks, and were delighted to have an Iranian family to come see their camper, and we spent a lot of time together just being amused at shit.

Dubai seems to offer lots of opportunities for these weird connections with interesting people -- but you have to keep your eyes open for them, and not decide that Dubai sucks and be cranky about it.

Shit, anyplace where you got pic related going on is going to have some interesting cultural dissonances going on, if nothign else...
>>
>>959733

>Dubai doesn't have to be expensive

Provisionally agree. I've eaten very well there pretty cheaply (some Indian places, for example, are excellent and pretty reasonable,) hotel prices seem high for what you get but if you don;t need much, you can not spend too much.
>>
>>959787
They were amazing -- their patter was all about how fake the watch was, and there were more of them than there were people to buy fake watches. Really got to resemble a Monty Python sketch after a bit.
>>
dubai sucks
im going for 3 weeks in may to see my [spoiler]mommy[/spoiler]. I wouldnt go otherwise.
>>
>>959793
The guys who offer massage on al-fahidi street are good too
>>
>>959811
>guys

>Not getting a massage from a Thai, Filipina, or Ethiopian chick
>>
>>959822
Im talking about the guy who advertise on side of the street. I went to the york international hotel, they are thai girls who do "full body massage" for 140$
>>
its a shit hole to be honest
>>
>>959822
>>959832
Didn't partake, but a hotel bar in Dubai is the only place I've met a Djiboutian--a very pretty hooker who wasted a few minutes trying to chat me up.
>And they say Dubai has no culture! It's a crazy melting pot of South Asian, East African, Filipino, Euro, and Russian hustlers. Plus Iranians! Thousands, some of whom are many generations resident. Low-end globalization at its bleeding edge.
>>
>>959578
>Ramadan
Why not, what difference does it make??
Anyone have any Dubai experiences with this they'd like to share?

I spent 2013 in a Muslim country for Ramadan, didn't seem to make much of a difference to me, as a tourists. So long as you are respectful of local customs/
>>
>>960594
The only place you can eat during the day is your hotel (in your room). You can't eat or even smoke in public or you risk arrest or abuse.
>>
>>960632
Everyone is tired, starving and just trying to get through the day. Also because its the holy month it is expected that in general people will be quiete. and more respectful.
>>
>>960588
There are mad Ethiopians in Dubai. You didn't notice the Ethiolians working restaraunts, retail, and especially salons? There are Ethiopian night clubs. I smoked at a hookah bar ran by Ethiopiams and had mostly Ethiopian clientele....not to mention the Ethiopian hookers, which I also did not partake
>>960594

A lot bars and club close for that whole month. Most restaurants close during the day. A lot of businesses close during the day, because the best way to avoid getting hungry and thirsty is not to do shit. A lot of expats leave during Ramadan and visit home or East/SE Asia.
>>
Fucked a girl from Dubai once, she was very liberal and very nice. Kind of obese though.

It wasn't in Dubai so I don't know whether the place itself is worth visiting.
>>
>>958780
What was shitty about his post?
>>
>>960661
I don't go to bars/clubs so this isn't important to me. I did go to one while I was there because I wanted to see their take on it. The place served only Redbull or water, no alcohol. And this was two days after Ramadan had ended.

At first I thought it was a nice change since I don't drink anyway. Then I saw the prices and fuck no.
>>
>>960707
Oh yeah, that's another thing. No alcohol during ramadan, even for the clubs and bars that stay open.
>>
>>960708
I had a an overnight layover in dubai during ramadan last year. I just went to a bar and ggot plastered. They definitely served me alcohol
>>
>>960712
Was it in a hotel?
>>
Is it safe for me and my girlfriend to go to Dubai, since we aren't married?

We're planning on stopping over there for a few days but I'm worried about being executed or something.
>>
>>960782
Just try to behave like respectable adults (no tongue-to-tongue, grabbing each other's naughty parts, or other crude displays of lust in public).

I mean you'd think this would be common sense but then, not everyone has common sense or we wouldn't have all these salacious headlines about people getting locked up for public lewdness.
>>
>>960782
good

we shouldn't be arrested for having sex in our own hotel room, or holding hands in public?

just not sure where they draw the line on it
>>
>>960785
woops meant
>>960783
>>
>>960785

Loud sex could get you in trouble if it annoys a conservative muslim in the next room. Holding hands in public is fine but if you're naturally prone to ass grabbing and fondling back home, like some disgusting couples are, then you're probably better off just not doing anything that may escalate.

You don't want to make a big deal out of not being married either. It's almost unheard of for those rules to be applied to tourists, and most people won't care, but I feel like if you are even asking what's ok, then it's going to escalate into some kind of "keep ur sharia law off muh body" drunken screaming match in a hotel lobby, followed by an angry looking Emirati police officer showing up to haul your ass away.
>>
>>960788
thanks
>>
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/united-arab-emirates/local-laws-and-customs
>>
>>960785
Sexual relationships outside marriage are illegal. Likely no-one working in your hotel gives a shit but if the authorities find out then you're in a whole world of pain, hurt and fear.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.