[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Teaching English Overseas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

File: 1413243844888.jpg (111KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1413243844888.jpg
111KB, 768x1024px
Hey /trv/

General TEFL thread.

I'm yet another special snowflake teaching English overseas. At first I was focused on Korea for the financial opportunities but after doing some more research I decided on China. I got offered a contract for 10,000 RMB with a free apartment(or 3000 housing allowance) in Beijing. I'll be leaving February 25.

I will be training for two weeks before I actually start teaching but I was curious if anyone had some insight on how much money to bring with me to survive the first month. I get paid on the 10th of every month so I need to survive at least one month with my own money.

Any other tips or advice on how to not get completed screwed is greatly appreciated.
>>
Been teaching in VN for 6 months so far. Read this. All of it will happen more or less. http://www.vice.com/read/the-chinese-esl-industrial-complex-shady-working-conditions-abound-for-foreign-english-teachers-in-china-127
>>
File: 1420676696235.gif (337KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1420676696235.gif
337KB, 480x360px
>>946181
Thanks for the reply. Normally I'm not a fan of Vice's articles but I'll give it a read if you're really backing it.
>>
>>946181
>>946188
Hmm well I read the article and Vice is just as shitty as I remember.

It seems like people without real accreditation are going over there illegally and expecting legal rights.
>>
File: 1422091838706.jpg (317KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
1422091838706.jpg
317KB, 1600x1201px
>>946176

/approx 2000 RMB for moderate lifestyle
you can survive (and i mean eat 3 times a day at restaurants) for 50RMB/day.
Chinese love american or brit. accent. Schools are sometimes shitty thou. you gotto have those papers.
>>
File: 1422379697721.jpg (200KB, 1445x900px) Image search: [Google]
1422379697721.jpg
200KB, 1445x900px
>>946197
Thanks man. I speak standard boring English in the Pacific Northwest so no bonus points for accent haha.

My school is called Dotkids and it's a fairly large school in Beijing. They have given me contact information for current employees and supposedly a good amount of them renew their contracts at least once which is a good sign.

By papers I assume you mean Bachelors degree, passport, background check, etc?
>>
>>946176
Has anyone done this in europe
>>
>>946273
Sure have. Three months in the Czech Republic.
>>
>>946286
is that any fun, i never even thought about teaching in Europe because cost of living is so low in Asia and LA and I'm brow skinned
>>
>>946286
>>946286
is that any fun, i never even thought about teaching in Europe because cost of living is so low in Asia and LA and I'm brow skinned
>>
File: his optimism... gone.jpg (59KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
his optimism... gone.jpg
59KB, 720x540px
>>946306
>>946307
>I'm brown skinned

Are you a Romanian? Do you look like a Romanian? If so, I don't recommend small-town areas in CZ. Even in Hradec Kralove, a met a lot of people who were not too keen on brown-skinned people. Of course, that is completely anecdotal and not a clear indicator of that country's people.

With that said, at the time I taught there, the USD to Czech Koruna conversion was at its all-time high: you could get a lot for a dollar's worth of Koruna. I taught in a public school by day and I also had private lessons with adults. The private lessons were the best, as they were as informal as possible (we would talk over beer and cheese at a tavern, maybe split a six pack while chilling at a park, etc). Teaching kids (and teachers) was great too, as they were all incredibly eager to learn English from a native-speaker.

There are many things to see and do in the country, and it is considered a central hub to all the great places Eastern Europe has to offer. One of my notable journeys was "climbing" Mount Snezka: you started in Czech Republic and about 1/4th of the way up, you entered Poland. I went in the middle of dead-ass hot summer and when I reached the top... it was snowing. Absolutely incredible. Picture is definitely related (please excuse my face, it was fucking freezing with all the wind blowing about).

Anyway, I'm getting long-winded here. Czech Republic was fantastic and I definitely recommend teaching there. If you have any other questions, I'll keep this tab up and updating.
>>
>>946176

youre going to regret china though; especially beijing. it's a massively polluted shithole, girls are fugly, and the food/living and sanitary conditions are terrible. also pretty much all schools or language centers are corrupt and shady as fuck, try to rip you off or make you work long hours and do other things not in your contract.

it's best to start out on a country that actually has some semblance of the 1st world like japan or korea
>>
>>946309
Did you make any friends or did you just hang out with other teachers?
What certification did you get?
What about grills?
How much did you pay for housing and could you describe it a bit?

Sorry for the questions but I want to do Europe but I am somewhat scared of spending an entire year in eastern europe.
>>
>>946418
Don't apologize, bro. Like I said, I'm welcome to answer questions. Hopefully I can help you out.

I met many different people in the Czech Republic. I became friends with a few of the teachers (and even the students), but I met a lot of interesting people during my different journeys that have lasted to this day (three years later). Czech people are very friendly, but most were very apprehensive about speaking English initially. Once I showed them my extent of the Czech language (very little), they opened up immediately. They thought that just because I was a native English teacher, I would judge them. Once you show that you're just as rubbish at their language as they are of yours, they really become friendly. Again, this is anecdotal, but this is what I experienced in several Czech cities/towns.

I was still in college at this point in my life. I was aiming for a Bachelor's in English and Secondary Education. I currently possess said degree, but the Czech Republic is pretty loose when it comes to that kind of stuff: private schools are very popular, and organizations that hire private teachers don't care too much about what degrees/certs you hold as long as you're a native. If you own the degree/cert I do, you'd probably make decent bank with minimal experience.

The grills are phenomenal. In my 3 months, I had 3 different relationships: the English teacher at the private school, a secretary for an insurance firm who was friends with my boss's sister, and a young woman that was introduced to me by one of my students. I feel like I was a novelty at the city I taught at (Hradec Kralove), because so many people only ever visit Prague. Still, the grills are gorgeous and many of them could easily out-eat/drink/fuck any guy around.

I was fortunate enough to be paid by the Director of the school in the form of living in an apartment she owned; so, unfortunately, I couldn't give you a cost for an apartment. Cost of living is cheap, though.
>>
>>946420
Sounds pretty awesome, definitely will look into it as a possible destination. Thanks for the in depth response.
>>
>>946430
No problem, dude. My email is [email protected] if you ever want to talk.
>>
>>946176
@3000 you can expect a shitty apartment in a shitty area. Maybe take the cash and find a flatmate.

you'll work nights and weekends so your social life can get fucked up

The girls are really easy, and plentiful.
>>
>>946176
http://eslwatch.info/forum/china/66-news-flash-disney-esl-teachers-busted-by-psb-visa-squad-in-chengdu.html#156

TEFL teachers are scum and deserve everything they get
>>
>>946451
>people who get fucked over by their employer are scum
>wanting to teach languages to people makes you scum

What the hell is wrong with you?
>>
>>946474
the expat community is pretty scummy, regardless of what their employers do to them.

you have to acknowledge this otherwise no one is gong to take you seriously
>>
>>946544
The intentional one is. The one who chooses to live abroad, or sought employment abroad, rather than it just being a side effect of their employment. For 2 reasons.

1. Being abroad in general casuses peopel to act in more "scummy ways, becasue there is no one they know around to judge them

2. Kind of related to number one, but they often go abroad so that they can act in a manner that is not acceptable in their home country.
>>
>>946544
Or you could just stop making idiotic statements.

There is NOTHING about wanting to teach languages abroad that makes people scum. I would love to hear why if you have managed to concoct something.

And do you realise how utterly absurd it is to claim that people who go to work in another country are inherently scummy? You are talking about MILLIONS of people who are doing thousands of different jobs for any number of reasons.
>>
>>946556
You are on the TRAVEL board, how can you insult people willing to travel and experience new things with a straight face?

Are you so limited in your thinking that you cannot imagine any other reason someone would want to work or live abroad other than 'hurr durr I am abroad, I can be a dick!'? None at all?
>>
>>946560
>>946561
did someone rustle your politically correct jimmies?

dude, fucking deal with it. there's all sorts of scum abroad, from the sex tourists, the idiots who had to go abroad and teach english because they couldn't get a job back home, fetishize asian women, the shitty 22 year olds who just party all day.

most well grounded and stable people don't go abroad because they are too attached to family, or have a well established career that pays more.

I love travel. I wouldn't give it up for anything. but you're kidding if you think that the permanent expat community isn't a bunch of seriously, seriously fucked up dudes on average.

also, esl is a shitty job that merits next to no respect. it's a step above mcdonalds. deal with it you faggot.
>>
>>946569
This has nothing to do with 'political correctness'. you are just being an idiot and saying stupid shit.

I have not met a single person working abroad who was 'scummy', they were all normal people who just liked working in another country.The vast majority of tourists and travellers I have met were decent people as well. And we are not talking about permanent expats, most language teachers do not intend to move to Asia forever.

You are just inventing reasons to insult people for wanting to travel while getting paid for it, why should they give a damn if you 'respect' them.
>>
>>946569
>most well grounded and stable people don't go abroad because they are too attached to family, or have a well established career that pays more.

You must live a very sheltered life to not see just how many people move away from their families to live/work somewhere else. My parents and I moved abroad when I was 9 and then I moved on my own when I was 30. To say that "grounded" people don't move is a joke in itself because there's plenty of well paid professionals who move around their whole life to find better jobs. In the company I work in right now, the managers are all people who have lived on at least 3 continents. To be honest with you, the only people I see who don't want to move are those who are stuck because of certain commitments in life like having kids too early or just not giving a shit (yeah, my company also employs a bunch of boring women who talk about watching the Bachelor or Survivor at every lunch hour)
>>
>>946561
I didn't say it because they want to be a dick, all the time, I say it often makes them a dick. In the same way a beta travels and can reach normalfag levels. Someone who is already confident can become overly so.

>>946588
In my statement I drew a line between those moving abroad for employment, and those using employme t to live abroad. If someone is well adjusted into their native society why would they willingly leave it long term? And I know there are some reasons, too. Missionary work springs to mind, but that is not the case for most expats. Marriage is another one.
>>
>>946614
>If someone is well adjusted into their native society why would they willingly leave it long term?

Because they want something different or love travelling a lot? I fucking love my country but I would happily live somewhere else for years at a time. Not everyone feels the need to be in constant close contact with their family, it does not mean they are not well adjusted.
>>
File: 2dwWb0X.png (228KB, 453x576px) Image search: [Google]
2dwWb0X.png
228KB, 453x576px
>>946624
>Not everyone feels the need to be in constant close contact with their family, it does not mean they are not well adjusted.

If anything that's a sign that they're not
>>
File: 1421364773608.jpg (269KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1421364773608.jpg
269KB, 1920x1080px
>>946449
>@3000 you can expect a shitty apartment in a shitty area. Maybe take the cash and find a flatmate.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and find a flatmate for sure then.
>you'll work nights and weekends so your social life can get fucked up
I'm working 28 teaching hours with 4 office hours a week my social life couldn't be THAT fucked could it? 4pm-8pm Tues-Fri, 9am-12pm, 4pm-8pm Sat/Sun
>The girls are really easy, and plentiful.
Easy in the sense that I can talk to them for 5 minutes and walk to my apartment in the middle of the day? Or night life easy?

Isn't there a thing where they only have sex with people they want to marry over there?
>>
>>946624
That's literally one of the signs of a sociopath
>>
>>946614
You're not curious in what life is like in other places? Visiting NY for 5 days is definitely not like living there for a year, same thing with any other place in the world really. On my travels I met plenty of people who gave up good jobs back home to travel and make less. Family can be visited or have as guests and these days with Skype and cheap phone calls you can be in touch every day.
>>
>>946635
>not needing constant contact with your family makes you a sociopath

If you are going to troll at least make it plausible. Some people visit their family as often as possible, others are fine with a phone call or an email every week. It does not make them sociopathic.
>>
File: 1423019936441.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px)
1423019936441.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
Just had my JET interview a few days ago, got pretty decent questions. Sucks that I have to wait 2 months for the results though. Aeon upcoming.
>>
>>946614
> If someone is well adjusted into their native society why would they willingly leave it long term?

because they might be black and not want to be treated like a second class citizen
source moved out of USGay
>>
>>946746
Blacks, as a race, aren't well adjusted to the USA, so you kind of prove my point
>>
File: 1366643619888.png (237KB, 300x315px) Image search: [Google]
1366643619888.png
237KB, 300x315px
I really really want to teach in asia, but there are mixed "facts" about if you need a degree or not. I would like to teach in Taiwan or Hong Kong but not in the mainland, and so many people say that you need a degree. Is there anyway to work legally in these areas without a degree? I also heard about going to an internship school, but that was in Beijing and I have no interest in living there.
>>
>>946820
>Is there anyway to work legally in these areas without a degree?

don't think so.
>>
>>946820
enjoy rural china faggot
>>
>>946820
Hong Kong is a difficult place to find jobs even for people with degrees because it's one of the "world" cities. Rent is expensive and there's a ton of competition. Most people expect the English teachers to have a teaching degree.

Taiwan is easier but has stricter rules than other countries. A degree is pretty much a requirement there but a good teaching cert isn't as you'd expect of Korea/Japan.

China and SEA still have lots of places where you can teach English without degrees. They just need a lot of people and with less competition will take folks with lower qualifications. Some regions of China can be quite nice. I would recommend looking at the pollution charts and going for cities in the south, somewhere across the water from Taiwan. They're still decent cities, have similar climate, not very polluted by China standards, and it seems the people in those 2nd tier cities are better than what you'd find in Beijing or Shanghai.
>>
>>946874

He'd be caught in china eventually. They're cracking down harder recently. You can still teach w/o a degree in Thailand and Cambodia and the rest of SEA. Wouldn't be surprised if you can fake it in Taiwan
>>
File: 1422069054547.jpg (204KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1422069054547.jpg
204KB, 1920x1080px
OP here. So I had that Beijing job ready to go since I sorta lost hope of finding a solid hagwon job in Korea. I lucked out and found one and I ended up getting a favorable job offer in Tongyeong just yesterday. It has all the standard benefits of teaching over there(apartment, flight,etc) 2.4 million won, 7 50minute classes a day M-F, age group varies from 8-13. 99% sure I'm going to go with this contract over the Beijing one.

Though the city is sort of out in the middle of nowhere. By that I mean Seoul and Busan are quite a ways away and I don't want to get bored out of my mind. Anyone have experience teaching in the smaller cities, having fun/going out in the small cities? To my understanding apps like tinder are somewhat common over there?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.