[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 238
Thread images: 16

File: 326.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
326.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Japan Thread

As always, feel free to ask about:
>places to visit / do in Japan
>How to become Yakuza?
>Teaching English in Japan
>stuff to do for weeaboos

>>If you can't get laid in your home country, you can't get laid in Japan.
>>
File: 561.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
561.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I know this is a lazy question, but I need to ask.

Can I get a work visa to work in Japan without a job offer? If I sent an application to the consulate here in America, is there a chance that I could get a work visa? I have a Bachelor's in Computer Science.

I poked around the various websites, like the Ministry of Japan and some consulate, but couldn't find info regarding this.
>>
>>945944
> Can I get a work visa to work in Japan without a job offer?
No.
>>
>>945944
That looks awful
>>
I'm travelling to Kyoto later this year. Will mostly be visiting temples and shrines and will probably hike a bit, too. My goal is to make it a journey to connect with nature and culture, mostly the religious part. Is there anything I absolutely shouldn't miss (besides temples etc because I think I have done proper research on them) out on?
Any specific foods I need to try besides the general weeby stuff like taiyaki and dango (keeping in mind I don't eat meat)?
>>
>>945980
how well do you know the language
>>
>>945968
it was a breakfast buffet
>>
>>945980
>(keeping in mind I don't eat meat)?
Are vegan or vegetarian? If you're vegan you just need to suck it up and break it, if you're vegetarian you can probably get by but it'll be a hassle.
>>
Posting this cause i didn't get a specific response in the last thread.

What's the best way to get to the Fuji five lakes area? I wanna see mt Fuji close up but not necessarily climb it. Are there busses that take you there? Should I take a tour of the area? I found a tour for $100 from Tokyo to the mt and back again and fhe whole thing is like 9-10 hrs including transit. Worth it?
>>
>>945980
I just came back from the Fushimi Inari Shrine. Fantastic day. I didn't expect it to be so tiring to reach the summit but I loved it. You can go off the track and be in nature and head back to the track and you'll find shrine after shrine with people chanting to statues. And the higher up you get the less people are around.
>>
>>946088
How long did it take for you to reach the top?
>>
>>946009
you actually chose that corn shit? why? the fish and the tomato looks alright. what were you thinking?
>>
I went to Nakano Broadway today and the pokemon center, i guess I was stupid to expect it to be on par with Akiba.

Any other otaku places to check out besides those 3 (not including otome road and J-park or w.e that bullshit is)
>>
My first time in Japan, actually my last night here. I'm sitting on the toilet in the hotel (Juyoh Hotel, highly recommend) just enjoying the heated seat and bidet. I've never used one before coming here, but having warm water sprayed on my ass is really comfortable and kind of relaxing. I legitimatly could just sit here for hours. I mean fuck, I haven't even taken a dump, I just sat down to pee as an excuse to use the butt spray. God I love this.
>>
damn, i feel guilty for not doing anything tonight and staying in my hostel bed, but im fucking tired as shit from that godamn tsukiji auction.

Wold not reccomend going to the tsukiji auction in the morning, its so short and you wait for like 2-3 hours at like 4 AM.
>>
anyone with experience in extending visas while in Japan?
heard you can do it at immigration offices
>>
>>946089
I honestly couldn't tell you. An hour and a half/two hours or so? Funny thing is there's no view from the highest part of the walk. It's a bit below where you get a great view of Kyoto. I was constantly stopping at sections or going off the path. Sounds cliched but I lost myself there exploring and taking photos with my phone. Phone actually died so no idea how long but I got there at around 11.30 and got back to the hotel a bit after 3 so I spent a fair bit of time there. I planned to do other stuff after at the start of the day but just felt like lying down and reflecting on the day. Oh well, still 5 more days in Kyoto.
>>
>>946124
Tsukiiji is waiting regardless of what you plan to do there. I thought I'd do the auction but couldn't be fucked because it's so fucking early and there's no train at that time so I figured I'd just go for Sushi at Sushi Dai. 3 hours waiting in line in the Snow last Thursday and the second I finished I went home, showered and went back to sleep. Good sushi though.
>>
>>946124
>Tfw go to Tsukiji twice a week to meet my fwb

Oedo line runs pretty late and starts pretty early, its not too bad if you don't go when its freezing balls outside.
>>
>>946135
Yep. Check out the MoFA website to see what all you need for your specific visa, get all your documents together, and give it time - at my podunk immigration office, it still takes two weeks for it to be approved and ready for use. They will give you a little leeway if your paperwork is in the system waiting to be processed, but getting it done ahead of time is always preferable.

When you go to pick up your new visa, you'll likely need to bring stamps as payment. You can get those from your local post office.
>>
Hibiya line 4 lyf
>>
>>946148
>Hibiya line 4 lyf

Yamanote >>> all other lines

Irrefutable.
>>
Where should single white men who speak no Japanese go for fun nights in Kyoto?
>>
>>946148
>>946150
>babby's first train

Chuo line master race.
>>
Any options on share houses in Tokyo? I was thinking of staying with Sakura house
>>
>>946152
I would bounce on over to Osaka since its a 30 minute train ride away. Check out club Pure in Shinsaibashi. Its 3000 yen for entrance with all you can drink. I don't really remember how far away it was from the Osaka station my friends and I took a taxi to our hotel which was pretty close to it.
>>
>>946167
Surely there's somewhere decent in Kyoto?
>>
Hey /trv/ my friends and I were thinking about making a travel series of videos based in Japan since we all live here. Is there anything you would be interested in seeing? Or anything you would like us to do in the videos? Were trying to come up with different ideas outside of obligatory tourist things. We would like to do interviews with people and talk about different festivals and establishments. But any ideas would be welcome.
>>
>>946168
I never actually partied in Kyoto. But here is a link to some clubs.

http://www.timeout.jp/en/kyoto/clubs
>>
Do people do ecstasy in Japan? Doesn't seem like a drug culture.
>>
>>946172
I almost bought some when I was drunk for about 4000 yen. The dude said it would take a few days though (I was gonna see him next week anyways.) I declined it anyways. Cocaine is easy to find if you know where to look and, I've been offered weed a few times when I was just strollin' around pretty late.
>>
>>945980
>Vegetarian in Japan

Hope you just don't eat meat because you cba buying it.

You are just going to need to suck it up and indulge in a bit of meat eating, everything has a bit of meat in it.

Kyoto is gorgeous though and you can pay (a lot) to get one of those fancy utterly vegan Buddhist(?) meals at some temples

Kyoto there is a place in the complex under station serving really nice soups and they do have the odd veggie version in there
>>
Is it okay to bring gifts to hosts when you stay somewhere e.g. through Airbnb, or is there a risk to inflict unwanted giri on them?
>>
>>946238
I'd imagine bringing something small like a piece of your local delicacy or some sweets/chocolates would be perfectly acceptable. Nothing over the top, just some small thing. Remember to downplay it too ("Oh it's nothing etc.). At most they'd feel obligated to serve you breakfast or something and hopefully you've found a place where they do that anyway.

Keep it simple and don't worry about it too much.
>>
>>946178
>I've been offered weed a few times when I was just strollin' around pretty late.
You'll always be offered weed, whores and booze walking around certain areas late. Whether the guys offering you it are legit or not is another matter.
>>
for the last year and a half I've been working in the oil field to save a shit load of cash (many tens of thousands) and I'm wanting to buy a sailboat to sail around the world. When I hit the Japan area, I'm hoping to find a small rural community to hang around with while living on my docked boat and riding a bicycle where I need to go. I have this dream of working in kitchens around the world (legally or not, for pay or not) for the experience. So what kind of small town places would you head to? I wouldn't mind a place with a great place to meditate or practice jujutsu or Aikido (purple belt in both). I'm not much of a big city person anyway.
>>
File: 009.png (172KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
009.png
172KB, 640x960px
How realistic is it to travel to Japan on a tourist visa, and find a job before my visa expires (3 months)?

I am a software dev, but would teach English if I absolutely need to.
>>
>>946321
>How realistic is it to travel to Japan on a tourist visa, and find a job before my visa expires (3 months)?
Extremely unrealistic. Noone will want to hire you if aren't in the country on the correct visa already.
>>
How much should I expect to pay for every day I'm there? I'd stay at an airbnb and would want to travel around a few cities.

I'm trying to get an idea of meal prices, the cost of travel and how much to spend on a night out.
>>
I'm moving to Sapporo in October and looking for Jobs to sponsor my girlfriend's visa. I need recommendations outside of TEFL. She has a degree in Hospitality Management (hotels, events, marketing, and weddings), and basic Japanese skills that won't dramatically improve anytime soon. Any suggestions for where to look? How screwed is she for jobs starting in October? Am I a dick if I make a Hokkaido/Sapporo specific thread later this month?
>>
>>945980
When at Kyomizu Dera... If you go up past the love shrine (stay to the right) there are a handful of old graves, and beyond that there is a really fucking cool trail into the woods that I stumbled upon back in 2012... If you want spirit+nature definitely don't miss that.
>>
>>946331
I've heard of foreigners doing seasonal work at the resorts in Hokkaido. Dunno how legit that is or if it's really an option for you, but might be worth looking in to.

If she's young enough and has (or can get) the "right" passport, she might be able to get a working holiday visa, which might make finding/transitioning to work easier.
>>
>>946337
THIS IS THE FIRST HELPFUL THING I'VE HEARD IN A MONTH.

Please elaborate
>>
>>946342
I don't know much more beyond that, tbh. There are job boards that are geared towards finding foreigners work. Gaijin pot and daijob are two off the top of my head.

Good luck. Finding a job that doesn't require good Japanese skills that isn't toefl is very difficult.
>>
>>946343
this,
I work as an administrator and they put me through a linguistic workout despite having N1. Seasonal work is pretty rare outside of resorts, disney, etc
>>
>>946342
people giving you truthful answers about how hard it is isn't useful?

I think they're saving you a lot of time.

no one will even talk to you about part time work unless you're already in the country.
>>
>>946138
ur fwb is from tsukiji fish market? wtf, is she one of those obaasans there?
>>
>>946378
>>946139
my bad, wrong reply.
>>
>>946325
The people that are willing to sponsor visas from people overseas actually really like being able to talk in person. Nobody that doesn't do that already will want to talk to you though.

However the visa process is crazy long. I got a job in my first month in the country and had to go back home and return because my visa wasn't approved for 3 more months.
>>946378
Did you not see all those tall buildings next to the small few blocks that make up the fish market and the accompanying businesses? People live in a large number of those building.
>>
>>946120
Sunshine city as a whole is pretty good though. J-WORLD is so goddamn cool and worth it alone for the 3ds dbz thing. The Pokemon centre and the Namco word are amazing too. Seriously.
>>
>>946120
What exactly did you find in Akihabara that you thought was better than Nakano Broadway? I live in Tokyo and avoid Akihabara unless I want to test out electronics. If I want something related to a nerdy hobby Nakano Broadway has more in a smaller space.
Unless you were trying to get sex toys or go to a maid cafe, Akiba is still better in that regard but Nakano also has those
>>
I'm going to Osaka in a month for family stuff.
Anyone here knows of any good places to visit and go to while I'm there? Bars, arcades, game stores etc.
>>
>>946328
Meal prices start from 400 yen and go as high as you want. A regular day might be something like 200-300 yen for breakfast from a konbini, 600 yen for lunch, 800-1000 yen for dinner. Sometimes you're hungrier and sometimes you get by cheaper, but that's a rough "usual day".

Travel costs by distance traveled and is generally pretty costly on longer trips. Local travel, within Tokyo for example, stays between 200-400 yen one way. You should check longer trips on Hyperdia and also google around if there's a cheaper way. Stuff like the Enoshima Kamakura Free Pass might be up your alley.

Night out hmm. I didn't go clubbing but:
- Beer is usually 500 hundred yen
- Izakaya food is 100-500 for the small portions (you're supposed to get a bunch of different ones with friends)
- A drunken karaoke night from 11pm to 5am(called "freetime") cost a little over 14000 yen for four people at Karaokekan. All you can drink included. Some karaoke places are cheaper, and the prices are at their highest during the evening. After 11pm they get cheaper because most sane people go home before the trains stop running.
>>
>>946084
Take the bus from shinjuku station it takes you to mt fuji in 2 hours.
>>
>>946161
that was actually supposed to be opinions, just wanted to know if anybody would recommend it or not and if not, why not
>>
>>946384
Oh i see. Should of explained further when you did the humble brag first. How did you meet her? And are you waito piggu?

>>946389
I've been to akiba twice now since this is my second japan trip. Nakano Broadway just has less stores, while Akiba has more stores, and each store has more floors.

You can get a wider selection of goodies like simple key chains or bookmarks/folders to used blurays. It's also more lively imo, seeing the popular anime series and arcades everywhere is a joy for an otaku to see.
>>
Is it just me or is food way more expensive in Kyoto than Tokyo on average?
>>
>>946473
might be becaue kyoto is super tourist area?
>>
>>946475
And Tokyo is less tourist-y area compared to Kyoto?

Anyway, a question: I'll be arriving at Narita Tokyo at night (around 9PM ish), so should I:
1. Take a taxi all the way to my hotel?
2. Take a train from airport (can't remember the train name) to closest station to hotel and take a taxi from there?

My hotel is around Shinjuku area.
>>
>>946478
don't take taxi from airport to hostel, itll be very expensive.
>>
>>946481
So I take it that I need to take the 2nd option then.

I was going to ask how to get to the closest station from the airport, but then I found out about hyperdia. Pretty nifty, but I sure hope it won't be too confusing when I actually get there in the future.

Is it safe to carry luggage in trains and on road? According to google maps, I need to walk for about 10 minutes from my nearest station to my hotel. And I'll be doing that at night, like around 10PM ish.
>>
>>946482
yes its safe, the only dangerous part of tokyo is roppongi because of black people roofie-ing people during the night
>>
>>946478
Narita line from airport and get off at Tokyo. If you have a JR Pass just show it at the JR office, they'll reserve your seat, print you out a green ticket that states your train, carriage and seat number. Go to the appropriate station and sit and wait. It's really simple.
>>
>>946483
Is Roppongi worse for that than Kabukicho? I didn't spend any time in Roppongi. I wanted to see Mori Tower and Art Museum but they were both fucking closed until April. After that I didn't go back to Roppongi.
>>
>>946486
dunno, but the only reason Japan is considered unsafe to foreigners is because of the black people here. As long as you don't get pulled into their bars you will be fine.

Because of Yakuza there is no independent crime scenes so you shouldn't get worried about getting mugged.
>>
File: To Hotel0.jpg (129KB, 891x528px) Image search: [Google]
To Hotel0.jpg
129KB, 891x528px
>>946485
That sounds simpler compared to what I get from hyperdia. (see image)

Now I'm considering your option, although holy fuck that price seems crazy. $238 for 7 days or $380 for 14 days? Am I looking at the right place? Is this ticket worth it?
I never been to Japan before, so pardon me if I thought that was expensive

But anyway, since I'll be in Japan for 10 days, I'm kinda not sure whether to get JR Pass or pay as I go instead.

>>946488
Alright, avoid black people area (Roppongi). Noted. That sounds a bit racist somehow.
>>
>>946488
I've been here for two weeks. The only Nigerians I've seen have been in Kabuchiko and whilst they harassed me like crazy they eventually give up. No idea why anyone would follow them.
>>
>>946488
Can you stop talking out of your ass. Most of those "scary" black people work at normal clubs and are actually brought over by the Yakuza. The Yakuza see them as cool and their staying in the country is completely dependent on how many people they can bring in to their club. A few of them do work at hostess bars but the roofing is done to dumbass drunk off their ass tourist that have lost all sense of common sense and normally carried out by some Filipino or Russian girl.

Most of them are very aggressive at their job but if you talk to them like a person and let them know you're not going to their club they are usually pretty nice guys that have just been given an opportunity to live over seas and help their families back home.
>>
>>946491
there are numerous reports of people being roofie-ed after being pulled into their clubs.

Not talking out of my ass, its more common than you think; 2 people in my hostel got drugged and got all their shit stolen (credit cards maxed soon as well).

Sure not all the black people are like this, but to be safe just avoid them and go to bars/clubs that don't have them.
>>
>>946489
All depends on what you're doing. A one way ticket on the Yamanote line typically costs between 130 and 250 yen. I used the train fucking constantly. Easily 5+ times a day. Including from Narita to Tokyo, time in Tokyo and Tokyo to Kyoto it was easily worth it. Just wish I hadn't bought a 21 day pass. The thing is fucking worthless once you get to Kyoto. Virtually no JR lines. If I had researched and discovered that I would've condensed my time in Tokyo and just got the 14 day pass leaving for Kyoto on the 14th day.
>>
>>946492
I've had three friends it has happened to. They were all super drunk off their ass, 2 were looking for pay 2 play and the third followed a "Japanese" girl into a complete empty bar.

I've lived here for 4 years. you're talking out your ass and letting your racism play bias.
>>
>>946494
ah the racist card.
It's good info to let people know it does happen, no harm in telling the anon that asked, since he was wondering if it was safe in tokyo.

There's also no guarantee that the anon isn't stupid or uninformed as well.
>>
>>946495
Your advice was all the black people in Japan are out to get you. You're a racist whether you think you're well intentioned or not.
>>
>>946496
I acknowledged not all black people are like this, i never said all of em

but

what is this, fucking tumblr?
Paint me however you like mate Mr. White Knight.
>>
>>946497
Because your advice is ridiculous. The Nigerian touts and the Japanese touts pull the exact same shit but you have very little experience in the country and assume because they are black they are out to get you.
>>
Can you faggots just agree that people of all races can scam you so best to just avoid anyone eagerly trying to bring you into their club without solicitation?

Derailing the thread.
>>
>>946498
man stop putting words in my mouth; i never said all blacks did this you tumblrfuck. Read all my posts if i ever said this and quote me. fucking tumblr dicksucker.

>>946499
agreed, ill stop talking about it, but hopefully the anon who initially asked learned something
>>
>>946493
Hmm, I think I'll just follow the hyperdia route for now. Surely there is a machine/counter that sells the skyliner's ticket.
Maybe I'll think about JR pass again when I actually get there.

>>946501
Thanks, I get you.
>>
>>946503
>Maybe I'll think about JR pass again when I actually get there.

No you won't, must be purchased before arrival and then redeemed in Japan.
>>
>>946504
Oh. Thanks for letting me know about that.
>>
>>946505
Not a problem.

Out of interest how long are you in Japan and do you plan to see anywhere other than Tokyo?
>>
>>946510
10 days.

I'm thinking of going to Osaka or Kyoto for a day or two, and spend the rest at Tokyo. But honestly, I don't have a solid plan for now.

Right now, I'm just going there for sightseeing and see if I want to study here and and potentially work there as well.
Also to visit a friend too, although he is currently still in language school in Shibuya.

If you want to give suggestions, by all means, fire away!
>>
>>946511
If you do intend for either or Osaka or Kyoto definitely get the JR pass.
>>
>>946512
I'll definitely consider that, thanks. How much do I save with JR pass though, approximately?
>>
>>946514
Also, to be honest, I fucked up on my part too. My flight is on 7th Feb (I'm in similar timezone as Japan) morning, so I don't think the ticket can make it in time.

Why I didn't do my research and plan properly? Because I was dumb and too busy to do that because of office works.
>>
>>946514
Narita to Tokyo is about $30 US
Tokyto to Kyoto is about $135
One way passes on Yamanote line (most used line) are about $1.50 - $3 US

Assuming you use the Yamamote to get to 1 destianation, walk the rest of the way and then take one station to get home you'd be looking at around $6 a day. That's around $225 US right there and doesn't give you the freedom to use the train as much as you want, and trust me, you'll want to use it a lot in Tokyo.
>>
>>946516
Hmm, my JR Pass took 2 days to arrive but I picked the express option. You may be able to choose pick up on arrival? You really are cutting it close though.
>>
>>946518
I know, I know. This was really dumb of me. But hey, at least I know it just barely in time by asking on this thread.
I was going to ask this since last week. But you know, office stuff. Too tired after work.

Anyway, I tried purchasing, and they say the estimated delivery date is 9th Feb. So based on that, I'd say I have to suffer the cost of my stupidity and laziness. Too bad they can't deliver the ticket to my hotel room in Tokyo. That would be awesome if they could do that. (Or can you? I can't seem to find the option to do so though)

I keep asking my friends and relatives who went there for holiday in the past about recommendation and tips, but none of them mentioned this. So I kinda want to blame them as well. They did gave me a train map at least, which was a nightmare to read at first.
>>
File: YeahProbablyNot.jpg (41KB, 610x256px) Image search: [Google]
YeahProbablyNot.jpg
41KB, 610x256px
>>946523
Forgot pics.
>>
>>945944
Google working holiday visa. If youre a citizen of certain countries (not US, sorry) and younger than 30, you can get a work visa for a year. All you need to provide is a return ticket/proof you have enough money to buy one, and a short list of places you may be staying/working at.
>>
>>945944
>>946534
Can i get a Tourist visa , get a job offer and change it to a Work visa? Is easy to get a job overseas if you are already in the country where you want to work
>>
I'm a student going to stay study abroad in Kyoto (Ritsumeikan). I looked up train tickets from Kyoto to Tokyo and they're upwards of 120 USD. There has to be a cheaper way
>>
>>946555
fly. Peach offers round trips from around 70$
>>
>>946523
The worst thing is each time you want to use the trains in Tokyo you're going to have to go the ticket office and print a ticket as well as pay around $3. With JR Pass you just show it and walk through. No fucking around.
>>
>>946557
Thanks man. Not trying to pay do much

People worth student visas aren't allowed to get a JR pass. Is there any way around this or something equivalent?
>>
>>946554
>Can i get a Tourist visa , get a job offer and change it to a Work visa?
No. You can't change the visa. You might be able to get another work visa but I imagine the authorities might be a bit harsh on you since you're trying to exploit the system by entering on a tourist visa then looking for work.

>Is easy to get a job overseas if you are already in the country where you want to work
If it's so easy why are you asking on 4chan for advice?
>>
>>946585
The first one was a question.
>>
>>946586
>The first one was a question.
And you got an answer. You can't change the visa but you might be able to get another one. Just expect people to think you're a bit sketchy.
>>
>>946558
Wait, there's no ticket dispensing machine?
>>
>>946563
You could try to have someone else buy it for you. They never check the name of the person it belongs to, only the date when it's valid.
>>
>>946594
This is really gonna save me money.
So essentially, I could just have someone order it for me and I won't get screwed by Japanese station attendants or whatever? I'm with my parents for the first week since they want me to translate for them. I'm planning on traveling out of Kyoto a lot to Tokyo. Thanks again
>>
can you redeem your confirmation for a JR pass outside of the airport?
>>
>>946389
>>946455
While they are similar and easily compared, I wouldn't go as far saying Nakano is a miniature Akiba or anything like that. Nakano Broadway clearly leans towards more retro stuff than Akiba. Most of the stores are secondhand stores anyway. The prices are a bit lower and you can definitely find rarer stuff with a bit of searching. But if you're just looking for a tittydoll from the latest anime craze, go Akiba. I like both, but for different reasons.
>>
>>946555
Night buses can get ridiculously cheap. But as the name implies, it takes the whole night.
>>
>>946636
Depends on the station. Ticket offices at major stations like Shinjuku, Shin-Osaka, Hakata etc. will be able to but you won't have any luck if you try it at the station in Bumufukku, Gunma.

It'll also need to be the correct JR company as well so you can't try exchanging a voucher for a JR Kyushu pass at a JR East ticket office in Tokyo for example.

>http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en009.html
This is a pretty comprehensive list fo which stations have offices where you can redeem vouchers for JR passes.
>>
>>946594
They do check your passport and your visa when you first get it though.
>>
I want to bring back a hentai manga (nothing illegal like loli, just hardcore adult stuff).

Is this okay for customs? I'm flying back to the U.S.
>>
Leaving for Japan on Friday, going to be going through Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, and Tokyo.

Anyone have suggestions on what/which local foods to try out in those places or places to get food? I have a JR pass so I don't really mind visiting other areas if theres any good food suggestions outside of those places.

Specifically interested in seeing what all the hype is behind kobe beef. Is it worth it/any suggestions on restaurants to check it out at?

My Japanese is pretty weak, probably just enough to ask/answer phrasebook questions on my own.
>>
>>946518
I got news.

Turns out, I could buy JR Pass from travel agents in my country, huzzah! No need to wait for 2 working days!
It's just tiny bit expensive, like few dollars extra or so. But IMHO it's fine.
>>
Is it really worth it to book a tour? Seems a little cheaper than buying a ticket and a hotel for 6-9 nights.
Planning my first trip to japan but I'm completely lost what I should do. The JP passes sound good but can I get one with as a visitor?
>>
>>946709
You can ONLY get JR pass if you are visitor/tourist. Japanese can too, but they need to have overseas PR.
>>
>>946589
Yeah there is. That's what I meant. You'll have to print one of those out each time. I don't even know the process for purchasing one. The only time I used ticket machines was for the subway. I'm sure it's as simple but there's different levels of ticket.
>>
>>946711
If my trip to HK, Melb, and Malaysia taught me anything, buying tickets from these machines should be so damn simple.

Usually you tap the target location and then you pay the amount shown on the machine's screen. Said machine will dispense some sort of coin/ticket which will be eaten at the destination station.

Melb is weird though. No such thing as selecting location, but 2-hours pass, daily pass, weekly, and so on. Basically you can travel anywhere under the time limit imposed on the ticket.

tldr: using ticket machine should be simple and straightforward.
>>
>>946712
And I didn't even need to talk to anyone at all in those country I mentioned! It's really that straightforward.

But then again, who knows if it's gonna be complicated in Japan. I mean, they have so many railways owners. And the damn train map looks like a rainbow spaghetti.
>>
Where do i find godzilla?
>>
File: gojira.jpg (201KB, 917x705px) Image search: [Google]
gojira.jpg
201KB, 917x705px
>>946727
Gojira is in Tokyo, near the Toho studio offices.
>>
>>946718
Everyone in Japan was so goddamn friendly to me. Especially after knowing I was Australian. I'm in Korea now though, they all seem a little less friendly. I guess they don't see as many white people.
>>
>>946387
really?
I thought pokemon center was pretty lame. it's only a shop with pokemon plushies.
jworld and namjatown looked very pricey to me.
>>
>>946711
>>946712
It's infinitely easier to just get and IC card like Pasmo or Suica and load it up with money. You can even use it at some konbinis and most vending machines in addition to it making you travel like a local.
>>
>>946742
The "unlimited" passes are about 2500Yen if I recall correctly. How much value you get from it is up to you though I suppose. If you're not a huge fan of SJ you probably won't care about the attractions and so the unlimited pass would be a waste for you. I think the normal ticket was like 800yen though.

Also, what else did you expect from the Pokemon centre?
>>
>>946709
Plan well in advance the sort of things you want to do and see. And then narrow it down to fit in your time period. I personally find tours to be too restrictive. You can't just spent 5 hours in a Sega arcade blowing your load on project diva for example, If that's what you wanna do.

If you're staying local to Tokyo, suica or pasmo would work out cheaper than a JR pass.
>>
>>946756
maybe I will take a look at it again. i'm rather close to it anyway.

I expected the pokemon center to be at least something "more". like a replica of an in-game center.
>>
I wonder what is Japanese stance towards Asian tourists. I would imagine it to be somewhat different from Western tourists, but not sure in what way or if they even make distinction.
>>
>>946751
Oh right, I might do that instead. Is there a specific place to get it, or can I get it easily anywhere, like in 711?
>>
where can I find details on homes that offer rooms to tourist similar to hostels but you stay in the families home? like an exchange program but you leave when you want.
>>
>>946704
Yes... If I can bring whips chains and very detailed sex toys in and out of the country, you can assume that any porn is fine... I'm pretty sure they aren't going to X-ray your fucking books and read them in whatever machine you run them through... Hell, Loli would probably be fine.
>>
>>946783
Check out the mini-ryokans; like 1 room B&Bs.
>>
>>946774
People will be nice to you but initially they'll think you're a retard in a bad way when they realize you dont speak Japanese instead of treating you just like a baby who couldn't possibly wrap their mind around Japanese
>>
>>946712
>Melbourne train tickets

Haha! Not anymore sucker! We have a billion dollar system that hardly works now; you have to buy a shitty Suica/Oyster/Etc knock off that doesn't work too well, and costs 8 dollars a card.

>>946714
It's not that complicated to figure out where you're going outside of a few stations. You figure out your destination, then figure out the line, note down the cost, and pay enough to get you to that location. Super easy.

Suica cards are even easier of course, my Japanese friend was a bro and gave me one with like 2000 yen on it on my first day in Japan. The top up machines are everywhere.

Ticket machines and too up machines having English instructions too; but after doing it a few times they're not even necessary.

Plus Japanese people can be super nice about helping out foreigners. I remember just chilling in Namba station and some older Japanese lady wondered if I was lost and started to chat to me, super nice lady, it turns out she was an ex lecturer in a few universities, and likes to spend her time striking up conversations with tourists; way too sweet.
>>
>>946705
The Lucky Peach mag's website has a few features on Japanese food right now; including an atlas of must visit Japanese restaurants. I'm really cut it came out long after I returned from Japan.

Ah! But the best Ramen I had in Japan was in Osaka, near den den town; it's called something Monogatari... Like ramen or chashu or some thing monogatari... Anyways. If you order the right one, you'll get an entire hock of perfectly tender slow cooked pork dumped in an incredibly tasty miso based ramen soup. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

If you hit Mt Fuji, there are places that sell "Hoto udon" or something like that, it's a local delicacy, try it.

Eat all the shitty Japanese snack food like onigiri you can, because you'll miss it. Some of the best meals I had in Japan were finding a place to sit with a beer and a combini lunch. I ate onigiri whilst sitting on one of those turtle stepping stones in the middle of the Kamogawa, Kyoto. Best thing.

Ah, in Tokyo, there's an ancient restaurant off of Asakusa shrine's main drag. Called Edo-nabe or Edo-hot pot, something like that. A+ food and atmosphere. The sake is great too, they do the "overfilling sake glass inside a wooden cup" thing. Delish.
>>
>>946802
Myki? Yeah, they still have 2 hours plan thingy though.

>>946802
Too bad I don't look much like "tourist" since I'm Asian. They'll probably think I'm some kind of retarded Japanese.

>>946801
Somehow, that's kinda what I expected. So no problem with my expectation at least.
>>
>>946807
Ehhh, it's not reeeeeally a 2 hour plan thing. It's more like "we won't tell you how much money you're spending and where, or why, but trust us."

Supposedly you pay for use, and there's a daily cap.

That's what I experienced as a Half Japanese kid that got mistaken for a local at least once or twice. It depends how you dress, if you're wearing a singlet and shorts whilst lugging around backpacks, it's pretty obvious you aren't Japanese.

>The odd upside down world of Japanese masculinity, where it's more acceptable to wear 3/4 capris than above the knees shorts, and no one shows their shoulders.
>>
>>946140
Thanks, so if my visa expires on the 9th of April, do I have to apply to get it renewed exactly on the 26th of March?
>>
>>946809
With this kind of winter weather, I strongly doubt I'll be wearing singlets and shorts.
But sure, I get your drift, especially since I'm the kind who always have backpack wherever I go.
>>
>>946811
Yeah, August was great timing.

You'll be considered a tourist as soon as they see the backpack, japs love their man bags.

I had a duffle bag and a backpack for a month long trip; just dumped the duffle bag in a coin locked whenever I didn't need it at a central train station, worked out perfectly.

In terms of how you'll be treated as an Asian who doesn't speak Japanese fluently, like I said, I got mistaken for a Jap, and no one was really ever a dick to me because of my language skills or lack there of. A cute Starbucks barista girl even scribbled "Your Japanese is very good!" On my take out cup once.
>>
File: HTSuica1.png (1012KB, 600x1289px) Image search: [Google]
HTSuica1.png
1012KB, 600x1289px
>>946775
You get it from the machine like all the other tickets. You can use the machine in english so you shouldn't have problems. This guy has a guide with pictures
http://www.thejapanguy.com/how-to-get-a-suica-card/
Easiest public transportation system I have ever used.
>>
Me and a friend I currently work with are both saving up and planning on moving from the UK to Japan around September this year.
How hard/possible is it to get jobs in Tokyo that require good english but let you learn nip on the job?
Im thinkin tourist booths and information centre kinda things were there gunna have allot of english speaking people asking stuff

Any ideas?
>>
Are there any good tour organizers out there?

I've had my eyes on this (German, but machine translates well):
http://www.koyamajapanreisen.de/oktober-2015-gruppe-1/
>>
Two (probably dumb) questions for you well-seasoned travelers;

Does Japan have a hockey league or any hockey games going on? I know it's probably not as big as it is in Canada/America/Europe, but it might be fun to see some tiny Asians try to check each other.

Does Japan have shooting ranges/clay pigeon ranges? I know guns are heavily restricted, but I think it would be fun to shoot a few clays and maybe have some friendly competition with the locals.
>>
>>946898
Both easily googled questions. Fuck yourself, you inept piece of shit.
>>
>>946900
Well, I was asking here to see if anyone had experience doing either of those things, and if they were worth my time or not. Apparently that's too much to ask for.

Thanks for nothing you piece of shit. It's assholes like you that made 4chan into the festering cesspool it is.
>>
>>946902
> It's assholes like you that made 4chan into the festering cesspool it is.
>Implying it ever wasn't.
>>
I have JR Pass and am going from tokyo to kyoto an back. How far in advance would you folks recommend me getting a ticket? And would i just go to the particular station with that JR line to go get said ticket?
>>
>>946892
seems okay but really expensive. I did three weeks too, but with a different itinerary. I wouldn't really pay 4000€ (that is 4000€ assuming the Euro won't weaken against the yen, which it might considering the upcoming QE). If not, then you might actually end up overpaying anyways (if the exchange rate stayed at the same price at is it, you'd overpay around 6-7 Yen for every Euro spent). Also, within those 4000€ you don't even have money calculated which you might want to spend otherwise (souvenirs, shopping, extra food, drinking etc.), so it might run you up to 5000€ or something.

tl;dr fuck no
>>
>>946914
Actually, it's one of the cheapest tour offers I could find, and it includes entrance fees and transportation.
They recommend at least another 700-800€ for meals, etc.

I do think I could do it cheaper on my own on a 5000€ budget (with a flight for around 800€, that's a whopping 200€ to blow per day) too, but not with less hassle...
>>
>>946921
>They recommend at least another 700-800€ for meals, etc.

yeah I read that, so that'd another added cost

>but not with less hassle...

I'd like to argue that going with a guided tour is actually even more of a hassle. You'll have to follow their schedule and if you discover something cool you want to do; well bad luck, the others are already off to their next destination and you don't want to be left alone do you? Even if you want to take one day off doing nothing: well bad luck if it doesn't fall on one of the few days where you don't have anything scheduled

Since money doesn't seem to be an issue, the stronger argument for not going with a tour is the ability to actually see more things that actually interest you and not things that are gonna be shoved in your mouth. Also, this depends on how old you are, but the people in those pictures look fairy old, so there won't be much opportunity to party I guess (again, depends on how old you are)
>>
>>946810
Just go in early to mid-March to be safe.
>>
>>946902
>It's assholes like you that made 4chan into the festering cesspool it is.
>being this new hory shit
>>
>>945980
Sounds like Mount Koya (Koyasan) would be something you might be interested in, including an overnight stay at a temple.

Here's some more info:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4900.html
>>
For everyone learning Japanese or that knows it, what do you think helped the most to get you along?

I've been at it for a while and I feel like I'm hitting a wall.
>>
>>946980
being able to speak with people..? Or do you mean what helped me most learning? Which method are you using?
>>
>>946980
Watching a metric ton of Japanese television. It helps with pronunciation and intonation, as well as gove you a good idea of what kind of vocab you hear on a daily basis in Japan.
>>
White gaijin are making the rest of us gaijin look bad.
Specifically europeans and aussiea, insanely rude and disrespect for the law - walking across streets in traffic and pissing in public and just acting like an ass.

This is why there are nihonjin only areas, damn barbarians ruining it for everyone else.
>>
>>946980
Kanji, reading just hiragana or katakana makes you a step above functionally illiterate. If you don't know kanji what the fuck are you wasting your time only being able to speak it?
>>
Has anyone ever been to Beppu? I plan on taking a study abroad trip there and I was wondering if there's things to do there compared to Tokyo since I don't meet the Tokyo requirements
>>
>>947019
I feel like I'm the opposite of this. I know about the meanings of roughly 1k kanji, but fuck me if I know how to read them.
>>
File: 5637567657.jpg (117KB, 580x350px) Image search: [Google]
5637567657.jpg
117KB, 580x350px
Incredibly cheap flights to Japan from Australia right now, me and 3 mates are interested but we honestly wouldn't know what to do once we're there..
Any recommendations? I'm trying to find some decent itineraries that don't revolve too much around temples/hiking or traveling too far from one place.

We'd like to be able to hit the town each night, see the clubs, arcades, see some weird shit that Japan's renowned for, etc. We'd want to do fun stuff, a boys trip, although it won't be solely about getting blind and meeting girls, I just think as a group of us we won't be overly interested in traveling somewhere to see a temple or whatnot. Probs be Tokyo most likely.

Any websites you'd recommend?
>>
>>946908
>>946908
>>946908

any answer to this?
>>
>>947045
>Incredibly cheap flights to Japan from Australia right now
I'm Australian too and was looking at flights today. Are you also looking at Jetstars 2 for 1 deal - it seems too good to be true honestly.
>>
>>946892
>>946914
>>946921
After looking through the itinerary I would say it is far too busy and expensive. So again it comes down to how you want to travel.

If you want to go around with pretty much everything taken care of for you, what sights to see, where to eat, who you travel with etc. Then yes, this is a fairly reasonable price and I don't think you could find anything similar for much cheaper, especially considering it's a 22 day trip.

However you give up pretty much all freedom for the comfort of not having to think.

In exchange for some effort you could easily stay for another two weeks by yourself, or do the same stuff as the package tour for around 1000 euros cheaper.

As always it comes down to how you want to travel. On average it is not that bad a deal, but it is something I myself wouldn't even consider. Someone else on the other hand enjoys leaving their brain in the cupboard at home, everyone travels in their own way.
>>
>>947048
Yeah Jetstar's deal, seems too good to pass up lol
>>
>>946980
I got past the first wall that usually weeds out a lot of people. I'm now at the point where I can read around 250 kanji and understand basic conversation and usually at least have a vague idea of what's happening. My vocab is a mess but I don't worry about that, just take it all in, I'll fill the gaps sometime.

The worst problem however is that I can't for the life of me produce any language. Speaking locks me up and with writing I get stuck repeatedly checking grammar points. The only time I can comfortably even write in japanese is when I'm drunk (and quite surprisingly it is at the worst still understandable in the morning).

If you're at the same point as me, the only option seems to be keep at it. If possible, dedicate an hour or two everyday for goal oriented study (learn new stuff) and maybe another for reviewing. Always be listening to japanese, watch tv shows, anime, listen to music, podcasts. Do this especially when you know you don't have time to do active studying. Try to talk to yourself in japanese as much as possible. If you have any friends who are studying use it as much as possible with them (I text with a couple of friends in a weird mix of japanese, english and my native language).

Unfortunately there is no magic trick. Just take in as much as you can. If you throw enough spaghetti at a wall, some of it is bound to stick.
>>
>>947045
>Probs be Tokyo most likely.

Just go.

I just had a month long trip to Tokyo with nothing else but accommodation planned. There is always something to do, see or eat in Tokyo.

Buy the tickets now so you can't back down. Then start googling around for interesting stuff.
>>
>>947030
Hot springs, mostly. Also Monkey Mountain (Mount Takasaki). Lots of good places to eat and events all year round. Plus the study-abroad students at APU make things a little easier for foreigners there. There's plenty of places to go around Beppu, too.

I can try to help you with more specifics if you give me some info on what you're interested in. I've been living 30 minutes away from Beppu for four years now, and my husband was born and raised there.
>>
>>947051
>The worst problem however is that I can't for the life of me produce any language. Speaking locks me up and with writing I get stuck repeatedly checking grammar points.
Well duh, that's the very point that separates you between actually understanding a language or just playing around with the language.

That happens with every single language. So nobody should be surprised, really.

I mean, fuck, when I was learning English, grammar lesson was the fucked up thing for me bot written and verbal. But with enough experience, I "muscle memorized" grammar so I can write and speak fluently.
So yeah, as you say, "keep at it".

Anyway, this is slightly derailing the thread. Just sayin'
>>
>>946783
You should try AirBNB. I've had some pretty good experiences with it in Japan, although almost half of them were with foreign hosts.

>>946889
Just be an English teacher in an Eikaiwa school and study on your own time. Those kind of jobs are very rare and competition is high.

>>946980
Studying vocab almost every night. I'm at the point where I've got a decent hold on grammar and ~1500 kanji. But having a strong vocab list to rely on really helps for expressing yourself or rephrasing. Best of luck.
>>
>>946908
On the day. The run shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto like every half hour. Just rock up at the Tokyo station, show your JR pass to the ticket office and tell them Kyoto and they'll book you a reserved seat and print you a ticket for the next available train. You're only going to be waiting half an hour anyway if you just miss one when you get there.
>>
>>947055
Hey thanks, the program I'm interested in is at APU actually. Here's the link to the program: http://studiesabroad.com/programs/country/japan/city/beppu/
I'm from America btw. But honestly, I'm just wondering if there's that "urban" feel in Beppu as it is in Tokyo.
>>
>>947079
I've never been to Tokyo, so I can't really compare the two. But Beppu is probably the most urban city there is in Oita prefecture. There's definitely plenty to do there - lots of shops and all that, plus APU organizes a lot of events on and off campus.
>>
>>947065
Not him, but thanks for the answer. If I take that train, how long does that take to Kyoto?

Also, which station am I getting off at? I'm not really good at finding these information, unfortunately
>>
File: 1306643703389.jpg (53KB, 320x498px) Image search: [Google]
1306643703389.jpg
53KB, 320x498px
Has anyone been to Okinawa? Is it worth going to?

Also has anyone been to Rebun Island/Wakkanai/Asahikawa?

They each seem somewhat small and time-consuming to travel to, but possibly different enough in experiences to the norm to make good for including in an itinerary for a second trip there.
>>
>>947032
How did what you said contradict what he said?
>>
>>947097
I was half asleep and reading is (occasionally) not my strong suit.

I thought he said that he can speak well but has shitty knowledge of kanjis/writing.
>>
Yo /jpg/, question for you.

I'm staying in Itabashi, Tokyo in an apartment and mail came to the previous occupant, what do? Should I bring it to the post office and explain that they don't live here anymore? Or be a dick an open it?
>>
>>947051
for me it's the opposite. I can pretty much have normal conversations with people (after one year), but I know jack shit about grammar and every time I try to learn it, I just forget it almost instantly. Good enough for travelling I guess, but it makes consuming media much harder
>>
File: IMG_5983.jpg (3MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5983.jpg
3MB, 3456x2304px
>>947091
Dunno about Hokkaido, but seconding information about it since I am planing a second trip to Nihon right now.

Okinawa on the other hand, I can fully recommend. Only been on Ishigaki island though, but it was magnificent. Out of the 20 days I spent in for the first time Japan, 5 were spent just there and I would do it again any time. Great food, friendly people, really fucking relaxed atmosphere, amazing nature, beautiful and most of the time, lonely beaches and some nice hikes through the jungle. It's also a hub for island hoping since it has a ferry port than can take you to islands nearby. Definitely going back there this year! (pic related)
>>
>>946902
Not the same guy. But holy shit go cry in the corner you emotionally flawed baby.
>>
>>946980
Watch japanese tv, listen to japanese radio while you wrok/commute. knowing over 1k kanji isnt going to help you much if you cant communicate verbally. Also, this helped me learn a few languages well: Force yourself to actually think in japanese when you formulate sentences in your head.
>>
>>947153
>Force yourself to actually think in japanese when you formulate sentences
This is a key thing for my next improvement. I need to stop from automatically trying to translate English sentence to Japanese sentence.
I just gotta start thinking from Japanese perspective instead of translating english to jap.
>>
Just got into sapporo. Going to see miku Saturday night. Probably spend tomorrow checking out the ice statues and the fresh seafood market. Wouldn't mind heading over to Otaru at some point for good sushi (or at least that's what I lead to believe is there).

Anyone have any suggestions for things to do in hokkaido? Brewery is up on the list too. If anyone knows where to hook me up with snow-weed that would be awesome too.
>>
>>947083
Ah, alright. How's the cost of living? Like prices of food and stuff?
>>
>>947048
Dude no. Garuda airlines all the way. Business class. I won't fly any other way any more.
>>
>>947198
Take some pictures for us dude! I might visit Sapporo this summer or if not then, a year from now for the snow festival.
>>
>>947198
>Anyone have any suggestions for things to do in hokkaido?
Go up Mt. Moiwa for some pretty good views of the city. Avoid the TV Tower, it's shit.
>>
Just had my JET interview. So glad that part's over. It wasn't too bad, but they definitely asked harder questions than I thought. Overall no big missteps. Hope my fellow JETbros did well.
>>
>>947257
As someone that's currently looking into teaching there, what do you think my chances are of getting a part time job at an Eikaiwa school?
I speak good english (currently work for Fujitsu), looking to get a tefl cert and have experience being an assistant teaching during college. However I dont hold any kind of degree.

Also best of luck with your JET bro
>>
>>947200
It's decent. The town I live in is a bit more expensive than Beppu and I manage to do okay on my meager salary. The most expensive thing in Beppu is obviously rent because that's where all the jobs are, but even then it's not too bad. The food there is inexpensive and delicious, too!

Are you thinking of getting an apartment or living in the dorms?
>>
>>947282
From what I hear, the requirements for private eikaiwa aren't too rigorous. Unfortunately, you need to have a four-year degree in order to get a working visa in Japan. It's a mandatory requirement set by the government. It sounds like you're in uni right now, so I guess you kinda have to wait it out until you graduate.

Best of luck to you as well, broseph.
>>
>>947257
Can you tell us more about what they asked you?
>>
>>947201
Return flights for $665 each, direct.
Garuda business class is $4000 plus, you're insane if you think that's the way to go for a measly 10 hour flight
>>
>>947342
My panel seemed kinda tough, so it may not be indicative of others experiences. One of the interviewers asked what I thought about US-Japan relations. Another one asked me what I would do if the teacher was teaching something wrong, and what I would do if she wouldn't listen to me if I tried to correct her outside of class. Then the guy interviewer told me I looked really young and asked how I would handle a student disrespecting me in front of the class. Those are just a few of the ones I got. From what I heard from other candidates, the panel usually asks you 1-2 "tough questions" (e.g. how would you handle this situation?) I think I got like 3-4 of those. Still, I think you can definitely field those questions and give passable answers fairly easily.

Also, they asked me to make a lesson plan, but it's not really detailed. For me they told me to teach about my favorite holiday. Just remember to speak slowly, since you're supposed to be dealing with children who barely speak English.
>>
File: laughing_europeans.jpg (38KB, 700x535px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_europeans.jpg
38KB, 700x535px
>>947327
>Unfortunately, you need to have a four-year degree in order to get a working visa in Japan
>He can't do a Bachelors in 3 years
>laughing_europeans.gif
>>
>>947356
>tfw doing mine in 5
>>
>>947355

Just finished mine too. I have 2 years teaching experience plus 2 years in the Peace Corps. Also I'm tall and handsome and have a great personality. I hope I get it or I'll end up taking a less paying job in Korea.
>>
>>947086
If you take the Hikari line it'll be about 2 hours to reach Kyoto from Tokyo. Get off at Kyoto station.
>>
Any suggestions for how to spend last day Kyoto? When night comes I'm getting drunk, eating Yakitori and seeing where the night takes me but need to fill the day. I've seen most major shrines and temples and Gion. Haven't seen Arashiyama but it's a bit of a hike to get out there and then more walking. I've already done so much walking these last few days my ankle was starting to feel a bit tender. Feel like I should be doing something but I don't know what and it's already wasted most of the day.
>>
File: 12312312312.jpg (312KB, 2400x1800px) Image search: [Google]
12312312312.jpg
312KB, 2400x1800px
>>947355
Hmm, I had no lesson plan. Had maybe 3 tough questions. Back to waiting....
>>
Any tips on finding the cheapest possible flights into Japan (preferably KIX) from the US? Looking to fly out of either Houston or New Orleans this summer. Trying not to spend a fortune on plane tickets.
>>
>>947320
Living in the dorms. As for on campus or off campus, I'm not sure yet, but those two for sure. Sounds nice, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with this program since it's the only one I can apply for.
>>
Who in Kyoto tonight?
>>
So anyone got interesting place to find food in Tokyo and Kyoto? Or maybe links?

Preferably something not too expensive and as ""street" as possible. Usually street foods in Asian country taste way better than high class restaurants (or it could be just my preference).
>>
>>947429
Manga Museum was quite interesting
>>
>>947435
check the sticky
>>
>>947497
Festivals and other celebrations tend to have tons of street food available. Outside of those I wouldn't worry about it. Japan is very much a food-centered country, there is food literally anywhere. It is also good 99 times out of 100.
>>
>>947503
Good to know. But I was wondering if there are some recommended places to eat ITT. Specifically, I'm looking for good unagi.

Otherwise, I'm sticking with any kind of food, or convenience store's food.
>>
>>947500
Dude, that day is gone. I'm pretty drunk now and prepping for which club to go to? Which is the easiest to find an ECSTATIC experience in Kyoto ?
>>
File: P016983451_480.jpg (178KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
P016983451_480.jpg
178KB, 480x480px
>>947505
Yeah I figured as much and was trying to convey a don't worry about it -type of feel. I generally find it hard to recommend food since most people I know are either picky eaters or they have shit taste.

During my trip I didn't run into any restaurant that would've really made an "wow, this I want to recommend" impact, mostly due to how pretty much everything was like that.

Though now I that I think about it, one place did make a nice impression on me (could've be partly because I had a really nice date there but anyway).

At Tsukada Nojo we ate some absolutely delicious chicken sashimi and charcoal grilled chicken over a few beers. I googled it and seems it's a chain, certainly didn't feel like one at the one we went to in Koenji. Koenji in general had a bunch of nice restaurants. A 100-yen kaitenzushi which was actually better than some pricies ones I went to, curry that really is hot when you order very hot, a bunch of izakayas with amazing grilled food (chicken liver&heart were my favourites).

Get off the Yamanote line, go a few stops away from the centrum with some of the other lines and you'll walk into great food.
>>
There are so many wonderful moments in Kyoto but if I wanted to find one in a club that was pure Ecstasy, where should I go?
>>
>>947512
I'll be noting that, thanks anon.
>>
>>947509
don't really know, but I think all the clubs are in the area left to the river before crossing the bridge over to Gion (can't remember the street name exactly)
>>
>>947515
My hotel is right in that area. Right near Gion and 5 minutes from World and etc. If I were to go to these clubs would it be easy to find ecstasy or would I be looking at a difficult and unpleasant experience?
>>
Alright, time for slightly different question: anyone tried buying adult stuff on retail in Japan? I'm getting one onahole for my buddy, but not sure where to get them in Japan actual retail store.

Also, if I go from Tokyo to Kyoto, do I need to book for a capsule hotel or can I just rock to one of the capsule hotels and rent a room immediately? If so, any recommended capsule hotel in Kyoto?
>>
>>947517
drugs generally aren't big in Japan and fucking expensive if you can find some
>>
>>947521
Fuck it then. Not going for a big night in alone just on booze. I'll wait until I reach Bangkok for that kind of fun.
>>
>>947524
Ehh. Be careful with drugs in Thailand as well.
>>
>>947519
>for my buddy
Sure thing bud
>>
>>947527
Alright, it's for my mom, better?

Just kidding, of course it's for me. But seriously though, aside from getting it online and send it to my hotel, is there a good place to get it IRL in Tokyo?
>>
If I'm able to pull 9/10 whites can I pull 9/10 Japs?
>>
>>947513
This actually brings up a related question. How pure is the ecstasy in Japan? In the states it's a pretty sketchy business but are even the drug dealers honorable enough in Japan as to not cut their MDMA with meth/caffeine/other bullshit? Not that I want any, just curious.
>>
>>947526
This. Google the drug laws in any country you visit, they are often draconian compared to US/Western Europe.
>>
>>947603
Also, japanese police and courts are not like in the west: You cant bargain, you cant get away on technicality. They will fuck your shut up. If youre stupid enough to do drugs in japan you deserve to get ass raped in jail.
>>947544
If you're insecure enough that you need to ask, then 'No!'
>>
>>947528
Well I did saw quite a few fleshlight-like stuff in Akihabara and also at Do Quijote (Donki)... wasn't looking for these (not even kidding) so I can't really tell but I reckon it must be easy to find.
>>
>>947616
It's not that. I have just heard that the really attractive Japanese girls won't date foreigners.
>>
>>947065
thanks, i really appreciate it!
>>
>>947654
It more depends on the girl's mindset, not how attractive she is. For example, you could probably pull any girl from a club in Roppongi since they usually only want the gaijin dick. It would be a lot harder to do that with a more conservative Japanese chick, since her parents probably would disapprove.
>>
>>947131
Contact your landlord, he might have ways to contact the owners.
Opening the mail is generally so useless... in most cases the mail is totally uninteresting for you as a person and I don't know how Japan handles its privacy/secrecy of correspondence laws.
>>
How bad "tourist trap" is Osaka these days?
>>
Hey /trv/, I'll be going to Japan this September for a working holiday.

May be a stupid question but, is it relatively safe taking say a hard drive with pirated anime/manga/films/tv/music/porn etc?
>>
>>947700
Are you asking if one of the largest cities in the world is just a tourist trap?
>>
>>947700
pretty bad, barely made it out alive after I was trapped for two weeks
>>
>>947661
>>947654
Mindset is important but language is the most important. Most girls think they won't have much in common and many are embarassed by their language ability. The better your language skills are the more girls you'll have access to. If you know no Japanese you'll be getting the same old club pussy that all the dumbass navy guys have already run through.

However its not perfect, my Japanese is decent but my friend's is perfect. There are some girls that are just too scared to get out of their comfort zone and won't date foreigners.
>>
>>947700
for a real traveller like you, maybe Macchu Pichu is more your flavor
>>
>>947505
There have been some posts about it actually ITT, read it.
>>
>>947700
It's pretty bad; there are tourist hunters everywhere, and their traps are super effective too. Don't worry though, it's not like they lock you up in Osaka, they just throw you in to the Dōtonbori canal.
>>
>>947354
The fuck? I didn't pay half that much. No way in shit would I pay that much for a flight.

>>947240
Will do cheers mate.

>>947234
I fucked up. Brought my tablet and camera, but can't transfer the photos across. I get back home first week of march and I'll post pics then on here. Keep an eye out for snow miku 2015 St the start of march. I'll put 'aussie' in the name.
>>
I'll be in Tokyo from the 14th to the 23rd and have a limited budget, would prefer to spend less than $50-$75 a day if possible ($100 a day is my maximum). I already have a hostel to stay in, so cost of where to stay is covered.

I'm interested in art, fashion, culture, and food. I like contemporary art, I want to buy designer clothes (consignment/used/2nd hand) cheaply, and take photographs of the city of Tokyo. I'm allergic to shellfish but can eat squid/fish. I would like to try many foods but would prefer cheaper options and would prefer to spend most of my money on clothing, entrance fees for art exhibitions, and traveling.

I basically have a week to see what Tokyo has to offer for the more creative person. What are some places I should definitely visit in my week? What are some options for cheap eats? Where are some designer consignment shops? Which art museums/galleries are a must visit?

I'm doing my own research of course (google), but would like to hear what you anons prioritize.
>>
>>947850
>I want to buy designer clothes (consignment/used/2nd hand) cheaply
>$50-$75 a day if possible ($100 a day is my maximum)
Yea not going to happen, you pay for what looks good in Tokyo or you come home with stuff you could have bought at home.
>>
>>947855

I also have roughly $800 saved just for clothes.

The daily budget is primarily for food, travel, exhibitions, drinks.

Sorry that I did not make that clear in my post.
Thread posts: 238
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.