[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Craft Beer Abroad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: money_pit.jpg (224KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
money_pit.jpg
224KB, 2000x1000px
Hey /trv/, does anyone go to American style craft breweries in Europe or anywhere else? I know Europe especially has its own native beer cultures so I'm sure there's not much of a demand, but it would still be interesting to check out if I'm over there.

I remember going to one of the only ones in China a few years back and I had a blast. The beer was really good too. Going to Scotland in a few weeks and wouldn't mind trying to repeat that experience
>>
>>1296739
There's many microbreweries in the UK and larger breweries also ofc some breweries even have large bars and restaurants within them.

t. Anglo
>>
Look for Cloudwater when you're in Scotland. They're the best brewery in the UK making hazy New England style IPAs.
>>
File: Brasserie la Débauche.jpg (1MB, 3001x1537px) Image search: [Google]
Brasserie la Débauche.jpg
1MB, 3001x1537px
>>1296739
If you are in France check out the Brasserie de la Débauche, best crafts of the country imo

Brasserie Corrézienne is also solid, as well as Brasserie du Mont Salève and Brasserie des Garrigues

Naparbier is a top tier Spanish brewery as well
>>
>>1296757

OP here, I would love to try that. Where do I buy it in the UK? I'm guessing you guys have liquor stores and stuff where one can buy high alcohol beers like that
>>
>>1296739
> American style craft breweries
Yea, all over the place. I'd say Europe simply has a good number of breweries that didn't become huge or extremely industrial.

Though arguably more microbreweries attached to only one restaurant or a private person's additional small side-income or such have been popping up with the constantly increased ease to get gear and ingredients for such microbreweries.

Anyhow, if you go to, say, Munich there will be like six (IIRC?) large industrial beer companies that you can find all over Germany and abroads, and dozens more that are only regional or extremely local.
>>
>>1296739
drygate brewery is a cool place to go in glasgow
>>
>>1296739
I like A Le Coq in Estonia, although that's really more macrobrew than microbrew (even if Estonia has a population smaller than US cities).
>>
>>1296739
>American craft beer

Quite simply:
>over-priced, over-hopped, and over here

Either try craft beers that have been around for at least over a decade (e.g. Harviestoun) or just try local beers that aren't marked up for have the word 'craft' on the label i.e. local German beers at beer gardens, British bitters at local pubs, etc. Much more flavoursome and varied, not to mention cheaper.

t. Britfag
>>
>>1296946

I think craft breweries in America have absolutely delicious beers, and over here I would take them hands down over any European import beer. But that makes sense to just go with the local option if I'm in Britain or Germany. Is it just because the Brits and Germans don't have the same kind of beer culture Americans do?
>>
>>1296946

I think craft breweries in America have absolutely delicious beers, and over here I would take them hands down over any European import beer. But that makes sense to just go with the local option if I'm in Britain or Germany. Is it just because the Brits and Germans don't have the same kind of beer culture Americans do?
>>
>>1296965
yeah we're not ponces about it
>>
>Craft Beer™

You mean, just like local breweries right?

Why does everything turn into a commercial package with Americans.
>>
>>1297378
Who the fuck cares how it's called as long as it's good
>>
>>1296965
America is a pussy nation when it comes to alcohol, most states don't let you have alc out in the open, open container in your car, or allow you to be drunk in public, the only place I know that doesn't follow those rules is Louisiana

Also the US had strict beer making laws, they don't allow all of the stuff that makes beer good. Truly fucking sucks
>>
>>1296946
>i have no clue what i'm talking about: the post
>>
>>1297414
>they don't allow all of the stuff that makes beer good

What the fuck are you talking about? The US has the widest range of allowable additives that I've ever seen. I run a brewery in South America and I can't even make sours because of the laws in my country...
>>
>>1297378
>You mean, just like local breweries right?

except quite a few craft breweries are distributed nationwide, which makes it tough to say theyre local
>>
>>1297414
>Also the US had strict beer making laws, they don't allow all of the stuff that makes beer good. Truly fucking sucks

what the fuck are you talking about??
>>
>>1297414
>America is a pussy nation when it comes to alcohol, most states don't let you have alc out in the open, open container in your car, or allow you to be drunk in public
Australia is the same but it makes drinking abroad in places like Asia and Europe more of a novelty. I enjoy it.
>>
>>1296739
American "craft" beer is a complete oxymoron. They think sticking 'craft' in the name makes it sound better. Probably some faggot in Portland started it too.
>>
>>1297616
America has arguably the most diverse beer production in the entire world. The fact that you aren't aware of it doesn't stop it from existing.
>>
File: innis.png (2MB, 1378x960px) Image search: [Google]
innis.png
2MB, 1378x960px
>>1296739
You'll find plenty of good beer in Scotland and throughout the UK. Here are some suggestions for Edinburgh.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/food-and-drink/10-best-craft-beer-bars-edinburgh/

Brewdog and Ox184 are right next to each other on Cowgate. You will get lots of different craft beers in the UK but if you see it, I'd recommend Beavertown Gamma Ray and Neck Oil (neck oil is my favourite). They are a direct British take on American craft ales.

Apart from that, do as suggested and try the many ales on tap as they are a lot cheaper and there is a wide variety of tastes on offer. If you're not sure what to get ask the barman if you can try a taste of a particular ale. It's quite acceptable to get a sample of a beer before you buy a pint.

Final suggestion would be to try Innis & Gunn if you are in Edinburgh. The oak aged is delightful. You can't get it in the US so it's worth a try.
>>
Poland has some good craft beers. In particular Warsaw.
>>
Ukraine is good and cheap, check out https://youtu.be/wF1Mp3X_g1k?t=2m59s
>>
File: 1385703475509.jpg (64KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1385703475509.jpg
64KB, 500x700px
>>1296946

It's all a matter of opinion seeing as taste is subjective, but I agree with you. I'm from Portland which can be considered a "craft beer" mecca. These hipster breweries churn out disgustingly over-hopped IPAs and other frankly terrible beers and people go crazy for them, they seem to think the hoppier a beer is the higher quality it is. I'm convinced most people drink them as a status symbol rather than taste, they're always quick to let you know what kind of beer they like and which is the hoppiest.

Don't get me wrong a good IPA is nice every once in a while but it's literally all you can find at bars and restaurants in Portland. I just want a good crisp pilsner goddamnit, but no your choice is coors light or "terminator quadruple hop single barrel space dust IPA" from "dudes with beards brewing company"
>>
piss water thread
>>
>>1297787

OP here, thanks for the advice anon. I'm thinking of checking out the Belhaven brewery in Dunbar, just because the building is so damn old. Must be a sight to see.

>>1298195

I feel the issue isn't IPAs in general, but just really bad IPAs. Most breweries can't make a decent one. They're too over hopped and that means quality to some people. Only good for getting drunk in my opinion.

However, as a New England fag, we do have a lot of actually incredible IPAs over here. I might be spoiled, I can drink that shit until the day I die
>>
>>1296857
Ale coq is fucking awful beer though
>>
>American style craft breweries
Why would anybody want to drink this piss outside of murrica?
>>
>>1299012
Because it's good and your opinion a shit
>>
This thread started with an honest, interested inquiry and turned into pure cancer.

I'm sad for what this board has turned into.
>>
File: 1463881797828.jpg (72KB, 720x690px) Image search: [Google]
1463881797828.jpg
72KB, 720x690px
>>1299103
Everytime I make an informative post here it gets ignored even by those who asked, so yeah I've switched to shitposting
>>
>Tfw went to Cabo and their craft brewery was butt fucked by the storm.

I had to survive off of shitty coronas instead
>>
>>1296739
There are at the moment a pretty bustling scene in Sweden and in Stockholm
>>
>>1299103
It's because /pol/ is not working anymore. It's not containing the retards anymore, and they are shitting up every board on this site.
>>
>>1296739
American style beer crafting is extremly popular in Poland (for year now). There are new beers and breweries popping up every month. Not just american though, but somehow the fruity scent and bitter taste seems to fit us very well. Poland and Krakow especially is a great destination for beer lovers.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.