[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi everyone! 27 y/o male from Uruguay here. I'm travelling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 58ea0c85416c7e9a481caff47b083a44.jpg (271KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
58ea0c85416c7e9a481caff47b083a44.jpg
271KB, 1000x667px
Hi everyone!

27 y/o male from Uruguay here.

I'm travelling to Europe in early November, for 15~ days. Possible destinations include Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague and possibly Munich as well (although I'm open to suggestions)

So, I really don't know how to plan this, how many days per destination I should use, etc. and am looking for advice. I'm mainly interested in getting to know some cities, doing walking tours, relaxing a bit. I'm interested in historic stuff but not really in art museums.

I'll be travelling alone and will be staying at hostels. I'm introverted and find it difficult to meet new people, but I guess that's something I'll be able to do in hostels, right?

General advice on locations, things to see, how many days per city, etc are more than welcomed! First time I'll be travelling alone and I have no clue on how to plan this shit
>>
>>1296304
Do you speak any German?
>>
>>1296309
Nope!

Forgot to ask about that... I'm quite fluent in english, I was under the impression that that was going to be enough for travelling/hostels

Do workers at train stations, etc in those cities tend to know english?
>>
>>1296311
Can only speak for czech and austrians; Most trainstationworkers speak enough English for you to understand roughly what they want. Most young people speak semi-decent english, some.even spanish. Old people only speak their native tongue.
>>
Obviously you can spend more than 15 days in any of those cities, so I guess depending on what your favourite activities are you should look up what you can do ahead and order those possibilities by how much you like doing them. Or that is how I do it.
Prague is gorgeous, you have to go to Cafe Louvre and eat some apfelstrudel there and have some espresso.
In Munich you should visit Cafe Kosmos (near Central Station) lots of people your age and very full, and there are always lots of conversations going on. But generally I would not take to much time for munich, as oktoberfest is coming close and it gets expensive and ugly here and you can probably walk around the centre in 12 hours, maybe 16 if you are fast. If you have lots of time over go to the "Deutsches Museum" you can spend literally days here without getting bored.
Usually you best make friends in the kitchen in hostels though, or if you share rooms for more than 1 night.
In Germany most people below 30-40 should speak and understand english pretty well, best go for people that look like students (regarding age), if you want to know something.
>>
>>1296315
>Deutsches Museum

Sounds very interesting! I just looked it up on Wikipedia.

My main goal is to just expand my horizons a bit. I find it fascinating when people talk about where they've been, the different cities, things to look at, and that kind of stuff. I want to experience that, to get to know that sort of things.

I do know that I won't get to fully experience a city as a tourist in just a couple of days (and while also having other destinations in such a short amount of time) but I think that it'll be enough to just get the general idea, have the feel for the city, enjoy the experience and just you know, expand my horizons and experience different things

I'm really appreciating your help guys!
>>
>>1296320
If money is a concern, Prague is the cheapest of those cities, Amsterdam the most expensive, so staying longer in Prague might be a good idea.

I find that "a couple of days" isn't enough generally speaking for big cities, especially if you make friends and walk around the city with them. I've been to Prague for two days once, and I wish I had more time.
>>
>>1296304
Munich is pretty posh, that will overall cost you +- as much as going to Switzerland.

In case of a limited-ish budget, you might want to bypass it and go see other places on the way to Berlin, even if the beer and food is good.

>>1296311
>I'm quite fluent in english, I was under the impression that that was going to be enough for travelling/hostels
Yea. It'll be enough in almost all of urban Europe. People will usually have an accent, but most will manage to communicate with you.
>>
>>1296304
What is Uruguay like? It's the one South American country I know actually nothing about.
>>
>>1296304
@>General advice
Take a train from Barcelona to Prague, it'll change your life.
>>
>>1296304
Well, 15 days is not much.
Amsterdam 4d
Berlin 4d
Munich 3d
Prague 3d

Which airport is your flight back at?
You traveling via train or plain within Europe to your destinations?
>>
>>1296430
>>1296441

I won't obviously over do it and will stay at hostels, eat "on the cheapish" etc, but money is not that much of a concern. Didn't know that Munich was as expensive as Switzerland though!

>>1296455
I've been to Barcelona and I really liked it. I do want to go again, but since I don't really have that much time, I rather not repeat a destination at this time

>>1296493
I haven't bought the tickets yet (will do it this week) but the plan is to go from Montevideo to Amsterdam and from Munich to Montevideo (those were the cheapest flights, but I can try Berlin Montevideo in case I decide not to go to Munich)

Yeah, 15 days is not that much... a couple of friends from work told me that I could easily fit 4 cities in that amount of time that just doing 3 was not that good of an idea

>>1296454
Uruguay is pretty chill. If you like the beach, then sometime between December and February is ideal. Punta del Este and Rocha have very nice beaches (Punta del Este is quite expensive in summer though)
Montevideo, the capital, is nice, but I don't really feel as if there's all that much to do, you can get to know it in just a couple of days. There's also a city called Colonia which is nice, it keeps a sort of old architecture from the colonial times, it's nice to walk around and that sort of things. Do let me know if you have any particular questions about Uruguay! (and yeah, if you befriend any local, chances are you can easily and cheaply buy weed, which you can smoke on the street as it's legal to smoke)
>>
>>1296577
Oh yeah that's right I forgot Uruguay legalized weed....how has that worked for you guys?

It seems to be the direction America is moving in; As someone with experience both before and after do you think it's true that cannabis has been a huge boon to your local economy?

Are there any Uruguayan native dishes that you really enjoy? I've heard that your Spanish is one of the best types to learn.
>>
>>1296577
> Didn't know that Munich was as expensive as Switzerland though!
Yup.The only thing that actually was somewhat noticeably cheaper in Munich vs. most Swiss cities is eating out in restaurants.

Public transport day passes, entrance fees to more modest urban tourist attractions like museums & zoos and so on, cost of hostels and such were all very comparable and a quick lookup shows me it's still ~the same.
>>
>>1296304
Visit Croatia, its beautiful also I'd say visit Ireland and the UK but you don't have nearly enough time for that also sadly. Oh and hostels are the right decision for meeting people I hear, never actually stayed in one overseas myself but here in England you can mingle.
>>
>>1296441
Culturally, Munich has perpahs the most to offer in all of Germany. Also it wasn't destroyed during WW2 like most of the country was. Don't choose your cities solely based on how cheap they are, otherwise you'd be better off going to Argentina than Europe.
>>
>>1296725
It's allright. Planting is legal if you are registered, but you can easily do it (if it's just a couple of plants) without registering and nothings gonna happen to you. If for some reason they do search your house, they'll just fine you.
Cannabis clubs are legal and they work sort of ok (you do have to buy a lot though, so it's not for everybody) and selling if you are not a club is illegal (but since a lot of people have plants, it's easy to buy from a friend or someone you know)
Last month pharmacies started selling weed to registered consumers. But it has very little THC, so people just tend to buy when their "dealer" runs out of weed
All in all, the system has its problems, but it sort of works, and for consumers is nice to know that they won't be prosecuted. And society is slowly accepting it. The idea is that in say 20yrs it won't be stigmatized and will be regarded kind of like alcohol.

>>1296752
Yeah, I've been told that it's beautiful, but won't it be a bit more time consuming than, say, Munich? I won't be able to fit Zagreb and the coast, for instance

>>1296797
Haha yeah, plus Munich will probably be where I spend less time, so if it's a bit more expensive than other cities, it won't be that bad
Are there castles from the middle ages near Munich, Berlin or Prague? That would be very cool to visit
>>
>>1296825
The obvious one is Neuschwansteinsee, doable as a daytrip from Munich.
>>
>>1296304
First notice November is the most boring month to travel central Europe.
Can't suggest you Munich in November (no more Oktoberfest, English Garden is ugly in Nov, etc.)
Depending on your interests you can look for tickets of some concerts in Berlin, go to Neuschwanstein, explore the history of the Nazis in Nurembourg, cities with great cathedrals like Cologne or Regensburg, touristic centers like Mark Twain's Heidelberg etc.
Outside of Germany maybe some EDM events in Amsterdam, Eiffel Tower in Paris, the bridges of Prague, La dolce vita in Rome or the awesome Austrian cities Salzburg, Innsbruck and Vienna.
And, many Germans prefer in November Spain
>>
>>1296896
Nice! Thats on the list then

>>1297160
Well, because of work reasons I can only go there in November, so I don't really care about that.
I've been to a lot of cities in Spain and I liked it a lot (and have friends in both Barcelona and Madrid) but I rather go to places that I haven't visited. I've also been to Paris and even though I want to go back, that's for some other time.

Rome could be nice, but it's not going to be that easy to fit in the 14 days I have. Vienna is a possibility, but between it and Munich I think that I rather go to Munich (although it's worth researching)
>>
File: 587.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
587.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I'm going on a 6 day trip to Prague, Vienna, and Budapest with a close friend of mine. We're going to stay 2 nights in every city.

We're both not very interested in the night life or museums/monuments and just want to check out the cities and go out into nature a bit.

Any recommendations?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.