[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my former boss has invited me to come to China and stay with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: chinaflag.png (44KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
chinaflag.png
44KB, 3000x2000px
So my former boss has invited me to come to China and stay with his family at his expense. desu the idea is a little off-putting. Not China, I'd like to
see that, it's just the idea of staying with a foreign family I find difficult. I get culture shock just from staying at my aunt's house as a guest. I can't imagine how different a Chinese family would be.

What am I in for?

Also what must I see and do in China?
>>
>>1295736
>So my former boss has invited me to come to China and stay with his family at his expense.
Under what pretense? Honestly this sounds incredibly fishy and would raise multiple red flags if it were me.

Anyway - maybe just look into some Chiniese manners/customs and look online to see what sights are around where you will be staying.

Also dont get hit by a car. They'll aim to kill you if they dont succeed the first time around.
>>
>>1295743
>Under what pretense? Honestly this sounds incredibly fishy and would raise multiple red flags if it were me.

They'd been suggesting it to me for about a year and the invitation was finally extended.

He's rich and I ran a business in my country for him and for some reason his family has always really liked me.

I assume it's essentially a thank you.
>>
>>1295744
>>1295736
For how long? How well does he know you? How rich is he?

If he's really that rich, it's possible he did some research on you and maybe did all of this to seduce you to come to China to harvest one of your kidneys, or worse.
>>
>>1295794
what the hell is wrong with you?
>>
>>1295795
Just looking out for your kidneys.
>>
>>1295794
>>1295795
>>1295797

This shit usually doesn't happen on /trv/
Stop shitposting
>>
>>1295736
It'll be all good, don't worry anon. Expect to be overwhelmed by a lot of family and passers-by attention, bringing a white guest in China can be used as some status showing-off.

Otherwise, it'll probably be a all-around great time. Home cooking, extended family showing you around, chilling time in tea houses and/or restaurants, probably some hard partying with local alcohols. Depending on your boss, they might throw a young girl into your arms to do some bedroom magic.

Chinese have lot of quirks, but they are among the most hospitable people I know of, especially if they invite you other. The only thing that might make you uncomfortable is that they don't have the same understanding of "private space". Just make it clear that you need to chill out by yourself some time and you will have a great time.

Where is your boss from ? Culture can vary wildly between Chinese provinces (hospitality is pretty much everywhere though).

If I didn't know any better, it would look like your boss is trying to convince you to settle down in China to manage one of his business here. I would not advice to do that as you need to have a very strong understanding of the country to start doing business with a Chinese.

Be patient. If you start to feel lost, angry or to panick, take some time off by yourself. Remember it's only for a few days, that few people have the luck to experience what you're doing and that it'll be over soon anyway. Just take in the good, and push the bad away until the end of the trip.

Enjoy !
>>
>>1295794
For just short of 5 years. I don't know his net worth but he has 4 properties here worth in excess of $8 million. I've no idea how much else he owns.
>>
>>1295802
This is what I fear. They've taken a lot of selfies with me pulled into frame and I feel like I'll be their pet pulled around and shown off and only able to speak to their son as a whole bunch of people that don't speak English talk around me.
>>
>>1295802
>f I didn't know any better, it would look like your boss is trying to convince you to settle down in China to manage one of his business here. I would not advice to do that as you need to have a very strong understanding of the country to start doing business with a Chinese.

Yeah, this is my biggest fear though it's not happening as much as he might want it. (Although I'm still quote confident I'm just his tall, white monkey boy.

I'm not living in China.
>>
>>1295810
>>1295812
You know what, who cares ? Just go, yes, they might use you as a trophy white monkey, but it that really bad. You're like these groups of white liberal with their token black friend, it's no biggie.
The moment your boss starts talking about coming over in China for business, just tell him it is not something you can do for him, due to family and X reasons. And that's it. He might raise the stakes, but then it all depends on what you want.

You have the opportunity for a free trip, welcomed by locals (something many travelers try to replicate), in a safe environment. At least of few of his family will have some command of English so you won't be *that* alone.

I hate to share cancerfeed, but here is a story you might be interested in : https://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/how-i-became-a-minor-celebrity-in-china-after-my?utm_term=.bcLroWVog#.xieNgAwgb
Chinese people are good-hearted. Your boss might have something in mind related to business, but the other people will just welcome you because it's fun to have a foreigner around. There is NOTHING to fear, and a LOT of things to enjoy.
>>
go to china and get paraded around like a monkey sp that you can realize that being treated like a literal monkey dorsnt make you kill people, therefore, jungle people in the west have no excuse
>>
>>1295814
>ust tell him it is not something you can do for him
You say maybe for a week. Read up some on saving face in China before taking this guy's advice.
>>
>>1295736
Is this something bosses do?
>>
>>1295736
the problem is that he didnt invite you to japan instead desu desu
>>
>>1296046
Saving face for you boss doesn't mean you have to accept everything.

Only talk privately to him, so others don't see the refusal. And blame it on thing beyond your power : family, etc.

Besides your boss seems to be well acquainted with the West, it shouldn't be too new and nerve wrecking for him.

I lived in China for a while, played this face game in and out.
>>
>>1295794
Good points. Be wary.
>>
if you're walking around and suddenly there's local girls trying to invite you to their exhibit or having tea,always accept since they're friendly locals wanting to know more about foreigners
>>
>>1295801
>usually
>>
>>1296817
Wow what an asshole, def don't listen to this guy
>>
>>1296880
Shut your stupid gweilo ass up our glorious country wants to celebrate foreigners coming in with elaborate tea ceremony
>>
>>1296817

Just so you know what's up OP. It's the Teahouse Scam. Some people approach you on the street, act like they're interested in you bla bla bla and then invite you to a tea house. The tea house menu has no prices, they give you some tea and then present you a bill of several hundreds of dollars. If you've gotten this far, just call the cops and they'll sort it out. Or just don't follow strangers into a tea house.
>>
idk even in bosnia when something similar happened to me, me and my friend got a penthouse just for ourselves, we didn't even have to meet the family. best fucking place i ever stayed in.
if he's rich enough, he probably will want to show off his assets and give you space.
>>
>>1295794
1. There are easier, less convoluted ways for rich people to harvest organs.
2. Assuming OP is non-Asian, generally speaking, organs from people of dissimilar ethnicities are incompatible. There's a reason why most hospitals will try to get an organ from a relative before reaching out to a donor.
>>
Chances are its a gratitude thing mixed with probably some showing off the white boy mixed in. Depends on what province you're going to be in and what your read on your boss Is. If you are wary always plan a backup with a burner phone, numbers of your embassy and location of it. Also know the area beforehand so you know how to get out if you are sketched out.

If it's about a job offer in China just make sure the public/private setting. If the offer is made seriously in public (over the dinner table with friends/family) give a noncommittal but polite answer like Will have to see or an excuse such as dealing with family issues like having to take care of niece/nephew or ageing mother/father. Chinese people respect family commitments more than personal ones so family issues are better excuses for saving face than just saying I'm not interested.
>>
>>1296888
trips wasted on a shitpost
>>
File: mao.jpg (141KB, 736x1075px) Image search: [Google]
mao.jpg
141KB, 736x1075px
>>1295736
The most important questions is where is he from? China is one of the most diverse countries in terms of geological distribution of language and culture. People living in two nearby villages separated by some mountains may not understand each other's speech, but they all should know the written language.

My advice, even though it might be overkill since it sounds like your former boss will be babying you most of the time:
- Learn some simple mandarin chinese to impress your hosts. Spend an hour learning about the 4 tones to get your pronounciation somewhat authentic. Learn stuff like hello, thank you, nice to meet you, I can't speak chinese, I have diarrhea and need a bathroom, etc. Asking your boss how to say this would make good conversation on the 14 hour plane ride.
- In the same vein, download the app "Pleco" and learn to write characters you might see. It's a nifty translation app that is stored locally so you wouldn't need wifi.
- Get wechat, it's basically china's government-backed facebook. Add your boss and anyone else you meet there on wechat.
- Bring anti-diarrhea medicine because you'll probably get some laduzi from the food shock. Also buy tissue there the first chance you get since bathrooms typically do not provide TP
- Exchange money at a bank, not in an airport.
- Don't fall for scams like >>1296817. Basically if someone comes up to you speaking english, just "wo buyao" them away.
- Bring some gifts for the family, like food from where you're from, some basic clothing, american cigarettes (American spirits go over well), anything your region is known for or your country in general.

No matter if you're going to be a white monkey or not, this is a great opportunity and you would regret passing it up. Also please tell us where he's from if possible. That would help us tell you where you could go and what weird shit might go down in his tier 88 village.
>>
>>1295814
>I hate to share cancerfeed

Fuck that was a horrible reading experience. I didn't bother.
>>
Shenzhen is pretty nice if you're going there. I like it a lot actually.
>>
OP, the number one thing to understand is that a 'thank you' would be a gift, possibly just of money. This is a relationship-building/maintaining exercise. There's going to be quid-pro-quo...not an outright favour but he wants to continue doing business with you or have you working for him or whatever. You can expect that he's going to treat you like a friend here so that he can ask things of you, like a friend, later. If you're happy with continuing business with him and it's worked out so far then by all means go for it.

Bring wine or spirits or some other 'local' thing that your country is noted for but don't be surprised if it's readily available in China, most well-known products get exported and the famous ones can be found in the imports aisle of Chinese supermarkets...they still get bought as gifts by locals though so that's ok.

>>1295810
>This is what I fear. They've taken a lot of selfies with me pulled into frame and I feel like I'll be their pet pulled around and shown off and only able to speak to their son as a whole bunch of people that don't speak English talk around me.
That is a rational fear and highly likely to happen.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, it's survivable and you'll have a holiday for free.

>>1295812
>Yeah, this is my biggest fear though it's not happening as much as he might want it.
More likely he wants to maintain the relationship to have you do something in your country in the future. Maybe his son will need to go to a foreign uni soon and he wants a chaperone/fixer/translator/assistant available to look after him or something. Or if not him, a cousin's son etc.

>>1298254
This is good advice and anon sounds like a long-term expat here.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.