[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 355
Thread images: 38

File: Picture-41.jpg (710KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Picture-41.jpg
710KB, 667x1000px
New Japan General

As always, feel free to ask about:
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the old thread while it's still up: >>1292337
>>
Why are all the hostels I'm looking at say that no rooms are unavailable from December onwards?

Do they just not let you book this far in advance or because it is around the holiday period?
>>
>>1295579
I like to go hiking and pine forests get my dick hard af. Where can I go first, except Fuji?
>>
>We will contact you by this week regarding the next steps. Please wait for our contact.
>this was emailed to me on Monday
>right before NK launched that missile
the anxiety is real lads. The next email is supposed to let me know when to go and get my passport stamped and they haven't sent it yet.
>>
Would you recommend a kimono or yukata for mid-September? Want to rent one while doing some Kyoto sightseeing.
>>
Fuck this. My connecting flight from UK to India then India to Japan had its first leg cancelled due to some mechanical fuckery with the plane. They told me they will reschedule my flights but it sucks how I will miss out on a day and have to pay for no show hotel.

Is it possible to get compensation from this? They gave me a £7.50 voucher for food and I'm sleeping in the damn airport.
>>
>>1295664
Do you have travel insurance?
>>
>>1295646
Lol oh god no you will look like a fucking fag.
>>
>>1295664
Holy shit that's a wonkey itinerary. But there's good news for you. Look up EU261. If you're overnighting, I'm pretty sure they owe you $600 Euros.
>>
>>1295680
Also, overnight accommodation should be covered by the airline, assuming EU261's conditions apply to you (it sounds like they do).
>>
>>1295664
Have you contacted the hotel to inform them of your flight delays? They may go easy on you, and it will ensure your reservation isn't completely cancelled.
>>
Any personal recommendations for food places in Tokyo? I know a few that I want to check out... Tskuji and Asakusa street food, Ichiran ramen, sushi zanmai and Coco curry were the ones reccomended to me by friends.

To be honest, I'd be up for more expensive places if the food is amazing. I was thinking of Sushi Ginza Iwa but the reservation seems like a hassle.
>>
File: ASIMO-Honda.jpg (5MB, 3872x2592px) Image search: [Google]
ASIMO-Honda.jpg
5MB, 3872x2592px
Kinda bored with hostels in Tokyo. Looking for something new. I like capsule hotels for the novelty, but they are all overpriced for what they are. Anyone have experience with renting a private room at an internet cafe for 4 days? I know there are tons in Shinjuku, how about near Tsukiji fish market? Thank you

>>1295627
That's pretty far in advance for a hostel. give it time.
>>
>>1295705
Thought it may have been, cheers.
>>
>>1295702
>Michelin guide
Literally the highest concentration of 1-3 star restaurants in the world. I can't even imagine the Bib Gourmand number of restaurants
>>
>>1295702
Tabelog.
>>
>>1295705
I am also planning to go down the internet cafe route for a few days, especially in more expensive places like near Shinjuku, Shibuya. Not sure you can book for that long, I thought it was just a nightly thing.
>>
>>1295713
I was just reading about manboo (???) Supposedly you can rent by week and even month. I'm sure someone here will have some insight
>>
I saw some stuff in Akihabara I want to buy and bring home. What's the best way to ship stuff from japan?
>>
I'm planning on sleeping in my car for one night right before I get into Tokyo. Any ideas on this? Where should I go for public showers?
>>
>>1295671
>caring about how you look

lel, do you even confidence?
>>
>>1295627
If you contact them, they might let you book early, but in my experience you can only book several months in advance.
>>
>>1295724
In your suitcase
>>
>>1295734
It wont fit.
>>
>>1295646
Maybe kimono is more seasonally appropriate, but if you are fat you'll get hot and would do better in a yukata. Have a good time and don't worry, a lot of tourists wear kimono in Kyoto.

>>1295724
Go to a large Japan Post, which is the post office. You can ask them for an EMS label for international mail. You can also use surface mail, which means in goes on a boat instead of a plane, is cheaper, and takes a couple of months to arrive. Either way it will be kind of expensive, but it's an option. Google for more specific info.
>>
>>1295739
Thanks man
>>
>>1295739
a couple of weeks not months. A medium sized parcel is around 5000 Yen
>>
How long should I expect to spend exploring Ginza, Tsukji, Shibuya and Shinjuku respectively? Just trying to figure out my iternary and how long to dedicate for each district. Ideally I would like to just wander around exploring.
>>
>>1295751
fuck Ginza unless you want high end shopping or are a chink looking to bring home 5 rice cookers. There's really not much to explore in Tsukiji other than the fish market desu so maybe a morning max. Shibuya is really shopping and fashion heavy to depending on how much you like that, plan 1 day to a couple of days. There's also Yoyogi Park though which you should definitely check out. Shinjuku is very diverse so a full day there is probably around right
>>
most likely gonna get shit for this but idc. Anyone familiar with gay night life in Tokyo?
>>
>>1295754
Shinjuku 2-chome
>>
>Tickets still available for Ghibli Museum in October.
>Tickets just went live for December.
>All foreigner tickets sold out, local tickets nearly sold out.

Is there a reason why the museum is exploding in November and December? I went to Japan last December and I had zero problem getting tickets, in fact I thought getting up early today to book tickets for December 1st was a bit overkill on my part - they're all sold out.
>>
>>1295764

Normie's love ghibli now.
>>
>>1295764
>october
You can't buy them from Lawson yet, though?
>>
>>1295770
https://japanwondertravel.com/products/get-ticket-of-ghibli-museum

This website is telling me most of October is still good to go for booking. Compare that to November and December - I don't know what's happening. I was going to wait until October 10th and November 10th to see if I could book online through Lawson for November and December respectively, but this shit is making me apprehensive. Almost makes me want to fork out for the crazy handling fees since my friend really wants to go.
>>
>>1295772
>4000 yen instead of 1000
I'm going to wait for Lawson. The tickets weren't sold out in two days and you could still buy some pretty easily for september 10 days ago.
>>
>>1295725
You can buy one-time entrance pass for a gym and you can take a shower there.
>>
>>1295787
cheaper to just book a night in a hostel or cheap hotel at that point since 1 day passes usually cost around 5000-7000 Yen
>>
All nippon airways is it any good for a 14 hour nonstop flight? I only taken United and jet blue within north America and carribean. Can anyone tell me the perks and downfalls? Is economy class good there?
>>
Tokyo or Osaka?

food, prices, people, etc.
>>
>>1295793
ANA and JAL are the best
>>
Went to kabukicho for the first time today and lmao at the peoplewho hyped up the big black scary touts. Fuckers are the most friendly touts I've ever seen. They make smalltalk, tell you about their place and that's it. You tell them thanks but no thanks and that's literally it. Y'all niggas haven't seen places where people actually get dragged into bars from the street.
>>
>>1295816
Are you actually bragging about being used to rough places you fruitcake?
>>
>>1295816
you wouldnt complain if you saw aman eating bear walking around in the woods, but you would complain if one was in your house and animal control refused to remove him, sorry, it, because the international council on bear rights had determined it was "mean"
>>
>>1295826
Better still, you wouldn't think it a problem for there to be shit in the toilet but it sure as hell would be if there was shit in the kitchen.
>>
>>1295827
The fire rises
>>
>>1295793
Protip: All North American airlines are hot garbage compared to any airline legally allowed to fly to and from the US.
>>
>>1295739
thanks! Not a fattie, but I was more concerned about it still being hot and humid while walking around all day in lots of layers. I'll keep an eye on the temperature and hopefully go for the kimono
>>
File: kimono-fashion.jpg (99KB, 736x1105px) Image search: [Google]
kimono-fashion.jpg
99KB, 736x1105px
>>1295739
>>1295854

I know this isn't /fa/, but is there any way to casually rock some samurai fashion as a gaijin and not look like a total weeb?
>>
>>1294051
If you're still monitoring these threads I'd be up to hang out. I'll be arriving in Tokyo on the 7th of September, staying there until the 11th, then returning back to Tokyo on the 15th and leaving in the morning on the 19th.

Give me a shout if you're up for it and some way to contact you, I'll be checking the thread.
>>
>>1295860
You'll look like a complete and utter dumbass unless you're going to see fireworks
>>
File: bob.jpg (234KB, 662x547px) Image search: [Google]
bob.jpg
234KB, 662x547px
>>1295899
That's what I thought
>>
>>1295899
chill out autismo-kun
>>
>>1295902
I have been to Kyoto and it is quite common to get dressed traditionally and walk up to the temple.
Not sure about the swords but no one would give a fuck if you carried them as long as you were not swinging them, sure there will be a couple of dozen other places ppl get dressed up in japan.
Japanese are outwardly extremely polite, so you could dress up as loli or a furfag and no one would give you shit, maybe foreign tourists would photograph if you were such a faggot.
But it is 100% possible.
>>
>>1295905
I don't think autism-kun's too far off the mark there. Pinkskins probably shouldn't be parading around in kimonos or yukatas unless they're ridiculously handsome anglos, but if they were they wouldn't need a taiwanese zoetrope's travel board to tell them it's ok.
>>
File: 1502229313277.jpg (55KB, 598x897px) Image search: [Google]
1502229313277.jpg
55KB, 598x897px
>>1295860
yes, but you have to be somewhat attractive to pull it off.
>>
File: DC3204595.jpg (862KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
DC3204595.jpg
862KB, 1920x2560px
>>1295918
Cool, I got this then.
>>
Hello there. I will be in Japan for some months and since I love hiking, I would like to make some trips to the mountains there. I picked Hinodesan (Hinodesan?) as my first trip, which I will be doing next week. Dies anyone have anything tips about that or anything experiences he would like to share?
>>
>>1295911
Agreed. I only wore my yukatas around the ryokan, both because I was told it was expected and because it was comfy as fuck.
>>
File: DSC_0670.jpg (110KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0670.jpg
110KB, 800x531px
Going to Japan for a short stay (3 to 6 months)
Found this average shared room in a borderless-house.com at 50.000 yen for month.
There some cheaper decent options?
>>
>>1295816
I always feel like the people complaining come from super safe places where they never encountered any kind of danger.
In my case coming from south america some dude asking if want to go to some bar is nothing.
>>
>>1295956
Oakhouse
Sakurahouse
Hituji.jp
Airbnb (you'd be surprised with monthly discounts)
>>
>>1295860
You will look like an ignorant weeb that is unnecessarily appropriating Japanese culture.
>>
>>1295851
How bad is Air China? So far the website won't let me check in online and the phone number never went through to a human
>>
>>1295579
Kill yourself you fucking weeb.
>>
Going on a tinder date in a couple hours.

Any insight or experiences any of you cars can share??

Advice or words of wisdom??
>>
>>1296001
I've uaed miat chibwse majoe carriers, but not them. Most of them are not that bad, but the worst of then might be comparable to united with less ugly flight attendants.
>>
>>1296024
she's a roastie. kys virgin
>>
>>1296024
she probably has a dick
>>
>>1295976
>Hituji.jp
seem very cool, but the site its only in jap?
>>
>>1295956
There's airbnb options where you get your own private room for ~400USD.
>>
>>1295911
I really don't see the problem, the Japanese I've spoken to about kimono say they don't give a fuck about gaijin wearing them, some even encourage it. It seems to mainly be other gaijins who lack confidence in their appearance that think it's wrong.
>>
>>1296068
Oh, and of course people who get easily triggered by muh cultural appropriation like this fag >>1295980
>>
>>1296069
why do idiots like you think it is about permission and what i allowed or not allowed?

your vapid heads are swimming around in a pool of totalitarian ethnic rules and you beg for permission from your leftist overlords

its not about that. you will look stupid.

no one cares if you wear a bright pink jumpsuit either. but you will look stupid. and maybe we should let you do so. because by all indications you people are quite stupid
>>
Just got my plane ticket and airbnb for 3 weeks in Tokyo this November. First time travelling alone and relying on my limited autistic level Japanese learned from anime. Wish me luck, friends!
>>
>>1295793

ANA is god tier

Traveling ANA on economy is like taking United business class
>>
Current yen exchange rates make it very interesting to pick up some gear when I am in Japan, was looking into getting a new macbook and a dslr at BIC camera taking advantage of their points system. Anything I should take into account ?
>>
>>1296075
Good luck, are you going to stay only in Tokyo?
>>
File: IMG_20170902_164935.jpg (7MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170902_164935.jpg
7MB, 5312x2988px
Was anyone in ikebukuro today? What was this protest about?
>>
>>1296078
Nope. I kind of just wanted to base myself there and work my way around the city and then down to Kyoto and whatever else I can think of. Waste of money to have my airbnb in tokyo but it was like $28 a night so I don't mind
>>
Anybody in Shinjuku tonight? Looking for tabehoudai/nomihoudai.
>>
>>1296077
It won't be a bargain. What you "gain," in a favorable exchange rate you lose in the fact that you're just paying a huge premium.

I thought the same thing in Russia for a DSLR, and I thought wrong.

Not to say never, but I wouldn't expect to.
>>
>>1296080
The sign says "Fighting against anti-Japanese forces and racism against Japanese!"
>>
>>1296038
Yes, if you can get someone to help you it has better places in my experience.
>>
How do I deal with having to wait several months before I move to Japan?
>>
>>1296080
That MAGA flag is quite telling, not sure if the guy in the cap is trying to look like Trump
>>
>>1296092
There was a counter protest on the other side saying something about anti-hatespeech. Definitely the most peaceful political demonstration I've seen
>>
>>1296084
Sony A6500 (not a DSLR I know)
At home: 1700 EUR
Japan: 1050 EUR and 10% saving to BIC card

For a Canon camera there is only a 10% difference, in that case I would rather buy it at home.

Seems to be mostly Panasonic and Sony that are a lot cheaper in Japan
>>
>>1296098
I'm in my final month of waiting since February.
>first month: excitement
>second month: even more excitement
>third month: excitement plus some anxiety caused by a fuck ton of paperwork
>fourth month: even more anxiety wondering if the paperwork was correct
>fifth month: anxiety eased after paperwork is done, excitement continues, can't wait to leave
>sixth month: more paperwork, more anxiety, some excitement
>seventh month: anxiety waiting for visa conformation
>eighth month (current month for me): anxiety caused by final steps of planning and worrying about money and other various things, sudden realization you are actually going to leave your country, excitement intensifies
Basically, it will catch up to you very fast without you realizing it. At least it did for me. I finally got my COE and will be getting my visa stamped soon, plus booking plane tickets and paying first months rent and what not. If you don't mind me asking, are you going for work or study?
>>
>>1296119
Study. Already studied in Japan before, so I'm not overly anxious about moving itself. More than anything it makes me more unhappy to wait, cause I already have much to look forward to.
>>
>>1296108
>At home: 1700 EUR
eurofag here, I got a a7ii for less than that. check some more stores

also, some sony gear have exclusively moonrunes.

I recommend second hand lenses though. much cheaper and quality is always decent, plus taxfree in many places.
>>
>>1296076
I wouldn't go that far. At the end of the day, United business class is still a lie flat seat while ANA's economy is not, and newer ANA aircraft don't have reclining seats. Instead the seat pan slides forward, robbing you of legroom and creating the illusion of recline.

That being said, ANA's food will be better, and the flight attendants will be more professional and attentive.
>>
Fucking damnit. Why now. Finally on my heavily planned trip to Tokyo and I am getting heavy flu symptoms. Everything aches, tired and sore throat. I'll probably be stuck in my hotel for a few days at this rate... Or should I just power through it and try to wander around anyway?
>>
>>1296133
>I'll probably be stuck in my hotel for a few days at this rate...
Go to a doctor. Insurance can cover flight cost or hotel cost, medicals and other shit. Only if you get papers on being sick though.

I got a fever abroad and my insurance covered "lost vacation days" plus hotels aside from the normal hospital costs. But I'm yuropean also so it might differ.
>>
File: Qutie Frash.jpg (118KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Qutie Frash.jpg
118KB, 768x1024px
>>1295860
There's always flashy visual kei street fashion and brands like quitie frash, but you need to be small enough and rich enough to wear that stuff.
>>
For a two week holiday how much japanese should i know if i want to explore the more rural areas?
>>
>>1296146
More than you know now.
>>
>>1296147
i don't know any and this is planning for next year so from someone who knows literally no japanese how much should i learn?
>>
>>1296148
Nothing. What are you gonna use it for? Station names have romaji everywhere and everything else you can express my waving your hands.
>>
>>1296156
What if i want to talk to people or order something, or make a reservation/booking?
>>
>>1296158
People working in tourist-oriented establishments are bound to speak at least basic English.
>>
>>1296158
If you want to talk to people who know very little english and are too shy to use the little english they know you're gonna wanna become conversational in japanese.
>>
>>1296162
This isnt necessarily true. I've met people who work at JR who dont speak english but at the same time I've had pretty interesting conversations with older women working at FamilyMart.
>>
Posted in last thread, but anyone want to see some "yakyu" with me? Vaguely trying to see Swallows vs Giants at Jingu (Shinjuku) on the 24th. I'm probably going to cheap out on the tickets as much as possible unless it matters to you, anonymous-san.
>>
File: Ice Cream Vending Machine.jpg (260KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Ice Cream Vending Machine.jpg
260KB, 960x1280px
>>1295579
Just got to Tokyo, what should I do?
>>
>>1296024
I assume that she's japanese. Don't act like you normally act with western girls. Be polite and look for her friendship first.
>>
How much money should i carry for the day (coins/bills)
>>
>>1296158
Learn basic stuff at least.
>>
>>1296146
If you have a phone, just download google translate app and use the offline pack. Show them what you using the app. internet connection not require
>>
>>1296204
The app has its limits, especially ordering a small rural restaurants with handwritten menus. I encountered several of these and google translate did fuckall. At least know hiragana/katakana so you can sound things out.
>>
>>1296108
Well, that's not bad. Sony fighting on the home turf I suppose. I actually literally just bought an a58 and some new old Minolta lenses for my trip in a few weeks.

Also, top tip, old Minolta lenses make the best A-mount gear. See >>1296125 for buying second hand lenses. Minolta/Sony Frugal Master Race.
>>
Has anyone else had experience with Military Autosource? I got a job offer with them, and I'd live and I'd live in Japan selling cars on a military base.

I'm a little hesitant.
>>
Anyone had an issue ordering a pocket wifi and getting it delivered to your hotel? I'm wondering if I should contact the hotel in advance and ask if it's ok
>>
Planning a trip next year for two weeks around springtime, any idea what the minimum cash I should take? I work for the airlines so the airfare is free, and I'm cramming in as much grammar as I can so I don't have to hire a translator, so I just have to worry about lodging, but it won't seem like a problem with airbnb. So any cash saved up from here till then will be purely for splurging.
>>
Where do i get traveler's insurance?
How do I obtain?
Which is the best traveler's insurance?

>>1296245
How do you get a job at an airline bro? A friend of mine who works in one, says that you have to get recommended or someshit
>>
I'll be in Tokyo for 4 months and I'm really bothered by the fees one has to pay when withdrawing cash or when I want to transfer money to pay my bills (e.g. rent, internet). What are my options for obtaining cash as economically as possible without opening a bank account there? Do ATM's in Japan accept both debit cards (pin cards) and creditcards? I'll take all the help I can get. I already figured to withdraw as much as possible to keep the fees low.
>>
>>1296248
It's good if you know someone within the company, that way they know when to look out for you when you apply, because they hire sporadically, and it's a very small window when they do. I got lucky because it was the first time they had mass hired off the street in 15 years, despite nearly my whole family working in the in company.
>>
>>1296253
Withdraw as much as possible at once.
>>
Any experiences staying at hostels in Shinjuku?
>>
The fact that train stations close at 12pm it's trash.Im going to celebrate New Years Eve over there and im worried about this.
>>
>>1296310
You can always stay at an internet cafe, capsule hotel or go to some Karaoke if you're in a group.
Or take a cab if you have enough money.
>>
>>1296310
Train station closes at noon?
>>
Hey all, I'm presently visiting Shinjuku with friends.
Can anyone recommend some decent bars to hit up? Not too pricey.

Also, what's up with all the black guys trying to get me into the strip clubs?
>>
>>1296329
Pretty sure that he meant 00:00
>>
>>1296333
Go to Kabukicho at day/evening and ignore the niggers.
>>
>>1296333
>Also, what's up with all the black guys trying to get me into the strip clubs?
They do that to all the gaijin.
I once had a japanese guy (probably a Yakuza) that talked really good english offer me whores.
>>
File: 1484168143624.jpg (78KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
1484168143624.jpg
78KB, 640x359px
Do you know of anywhere in Japan where I can rent itasha cars?
>>
>>1296108
Kinda off topic, but why would you buy a digital camera for that price when you can get a good DSLR at the same price? Because of size or do you not want the functionality of a DSLR?
>>
>>1295579
https://youtu.be/0eRLcZ_ZYpo
>>
File: IMG_20170903_113014.jpg (7MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170903_113014.jpg
7MB, 3036x4048px
I went to Hokkaido Jingu today. Enjoying how green the area is.
>>
Gonna be down in Kagoshima from Jan 2nd to the 19th. Anything to do besides seeing the Volcano?
>>
>>1296478
damn, me too, no bs
>>
>>1296480
The aquarium is pretty nice, and there are plenty of onsen to enjoy.
>>
File: IMG_20170903_114843.jpg (4MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170903_114843.jpg
4MB, 4048x3036px
>>1296485
Did you also visit the Okurayama Ski Jump?
>>
File: ClubDiamond.png (158KB, 651x182px) Image search: [Google]
ClubDiamond.png
158KB, 651x182px
Anyone been here?
>>
Who's in Shibuya tonight? I like pro wrestling and video games, let's get drunk
>>
So, I heard nips have a tendency to cancel your airbnb reservation like a week or 2 before your arrival. How true is this, did that ever happened to you?
>>
>>1296108
Keep in mind Sony camera's menus will be in moonrunes, you WON'T be able to change its language. For cameras outside of Japan, you can, but not the japanese ones. You can circumvent that by flashing a custom firmware on some A7, not sure about the a6500, you better look into it.
>>
Japan was a really pleasant experience. Got excellent service even from people who were probably making minimum wage, people here are nice to a fault. The always punctual subway system made it feel like the future. Only fault was that all the shopping places and shrines get same-y after a while. Fantastic country, what a shame to leave.
>>
>>1296515
Are you going to be around january 4 for Wrestle Kingdom? I'm going to be in Japan during that time.
>>
>>1296536
Interested in this as well since a lot of these places only have 50% refund policy but the hosts don't get penalised.
>>
>>1296352
A japanese guy once hugged me on the street and asked if i wanted to see big japanese oppai
>>
is there a pastebin or something for tips on things to do/places to go?
going to be in japan in 2 weeks for 2 weeks solo
>>
>>1296555
checked
>big japanese oppai
Are THICC Japanese women a thing or are they mostly just a JAV thing?
>>
Spent all night gathering the necessary documents to apply for an ALT position in Japan. How do I get over my fear and anxiety and just fucking make the move? I've lived in the same house all my life and the past 9 or 10 years have just been such a drag. I visited Japan on vacation for two weeks last year and it was just the change in scenery I had been longing for. But because of my complacency I'm so worried that maybe I'm being too rash, maybe this might not be the best decision, what if I regret it less than a year in, what if they stick me in the middle of nowhere with no decent train access, etc.

Basically I'm a colossal wiener and need a boost in spirits about this major life decision, preferably from people who felt the same apprehension at some point and pushed through with the move to Japan.
>>
What does /trv/ think of Nagoya?
>>
>>1296563
Nagashima Spaland is fun as fuck.
>>
File: tumblr_nxjnogWf1L1tvh80lo1_540.jpg (193KB, 500x751px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxjnogWf1L1tvh80lo1_540.jpg
193KB, 500x751px
>>1296560
I over analyze every decision I could be taking, ending up not taking any decisions or staying in my safe zone.

At some point that behaviour didn't get me a certain promotion at work, I was pissed. Employer noticed, they knew I was about to quit my job.. they offered me a project based role in Paris with no exact description, no exact end date, no nothing.

I did it, I ended up surrounded by a bunch of retard colleagues and some aweome ones... various locations through Paris from shitty to amazing 5 star hotels. Surround by the most annoying people on earth, the French for 18 months.

Still the best decision I ever took, it got me places, it got me experience, it gave me new perspectives.

Now I even miss the bad things I had to deal with daily, I was on top of my game instead of in my comfort zone.
>>
>>1296560
You will always have access to a train. Worst case scenario you have to take a bus or walk 20 mins to get to the station, but you will have access to public transportation or you'll be set up with a car if you are in a very rural area.

It's really up to you. I made the move because I needed more out of my life and couldn't get it back home. I don't regret my decision, but I'm also capable of surviving on my own. I have confidence that I can get myself through any situation. I don't think you have that so you have to think if you should really go or not. I mean, what is it going to take for you to be an adult and support yourself?
>>
Fucking Koreans man...
>>
>>1296536
Saw this too late, but if you or anyone else from here wanna get drunk and have some fun at gamecen or whatever tomorrow hit me up. Shibuya, shinjuku, akiba doesn't matter to me
>>
>>1296615
Sorry this was meant for >>1296515
>>
I'm travelling there next week, excited as fuck.

Anyway, I'm a bit ill, so I was wondering would it be disrespectful if I cough in public without wearing one of those masks?

Bit of a stupid question, I know.
>>
are you likely to be better off exchanging money before going to japan or using ATMs? how good are the exchange rates at them?
>>
>>1296626
They expect that of you, don't worry. Buy one if you can.
>>
>>1296628
Ask your bank if they will charge you. Don't worry about exchanging before arriving. There are 7-Eleven's everywhere.
>>
>>1296633
they dont charge so i guess ill be better off withdrawing there
might just get a £300 or so to feel a bit safer
>>
>>1296631
Cool, thank you. They are so respectful when they visit my country that I want to be the same over there, lol
>>
Not a weeb at all but I'm absolutely fascinated, so is a friend of mine. I'm slightly worried though, we're Brits and I have no problem trying to chat and have a laugh with local people in other European countries, but with the way the Japanese people and language are, I can't imagine it being so easy it sat in close proximity in a bar or something.

April-May, we're looking at two weeks, maybe 16 days or so with weekends, Tokyo and I've heard Osaka and Kyoto are also worth time.
>>
>>1296723
wtf are you trying to say?
>>
>>1296728

Meant to say "if sat in close proximity"

Just saying, meeting local people is always fun, but there seems to be more of a barrier, culturally and linguistically, in Japan. Don't think that was too unreadable.
>>
>>1296560

Japan doesn't need more autistic English teachers. Stay home.
>>
Where do I go to get tested for all the STD's in tokyo?

I may have a made a big drunken mistake...
>>
>>1296723
I don't know if it is just a trip you can sit down in most bars and someone will want to practice English on you
>>
>>1296741
I went to japan after hearing what trv had said about social interactions in japan. In and around tokyo it was just like home, got drunk with people played darts and games sat and chatted with a bunch of people. Super easy and reminded me of home, just. speak. slowly., use simple words, and speak clearly most will understand.

The more outside a major city you get the harder it can be to talk to people at bars and such. Honestly had 3 milfs on me my first day in japan after just going to a bar to throw darts, ended up just drinking and playing games with a qt I saw who was free and bored. The biggest difference I experienced is you will mostly need to be the one starting the convo, but after that it's chatting as usual.

>>1296766
The chances of getting an STD in japan are stupidly low
>>
Are there any other places where one can go to chat up locals other than bars?
>>
>>1296549
For sure I'll be there.
>>
>>1296785
Yeah, pretty much anywhere. They will let you know if they don't/can't talk with you. Bars are usually just the easiest way though.
>>
>>1295630
isnt the forest in fuji place where people go to kill themselves? (theres also a crappy movie about it I think)
>>
>>1296802
there are a shit ton of forests around fuji, just pick one. Fujisawa is also pretty good for hiking
>>
>>1296786
Nice. I will post a few days before the event to know if some anons want to hang out.
>>
>>1296779

No, the chances of someone realising they have an STD is stupidly low. Lack of education combined with lack of safety has led to japan having a real issue with them.
>>
>>1295730
If you don't care about how you look, why dress up at all?
>>
For airbnb listing. The one that list private room that can accommodate 2 guest.
If I book the room, do I get the private room or they will find someone else to fill the other guest spot?
>>
>>1296867
Sometimes they ask you to pay for two people even though you are an individual. You will only know if that's the case once you try booking the place. If not, you will get the room just for yourself.
>>
>>1296579
>>1296580
Thanks fellas. You may have saved my life.
>>
Is Korea gonna launch nukes before I get there in december?
>>
File: IMG_20170904_142430.jpg (5MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170904_142430.jpg
5MB, 3036x4048px
Alright. So are there garbage cans or recycling bins in Japan? I normally expect to see somewhere to put trash near vending machines but in Sapporo today I walked with my trash all day.
>>
>>1296196
Used panties meet up?
>>
>>1296885

Kombini usually have bins out the front, otherwise sometimes local parks have them.
>>
>>1296893
Really? Shit. I didn't see anything. Maybe I just missed them. I walked over 20 km, maybe my eyes weren't open.
>>
>>1296883
The real question is if I am gonna get out of here in time before they drop the nukes
>>
>>1296885
My biggest complaint about Japan is that there are not enough public bins.
>>
>>1296766
iktf, a girl I had unprotected sex with was 5 days late on her period

The greatest moment in my life was when I received a message saying "I just got my period" earlier today

Allah is great
>>
Contemplating spending a few days in Tokyo next time I go to HK. Which airport is the most convenient?
>>
I'm 18, lived in Georgia my whole life never traveled anywhere before.

Aside from lacking 1,500 for a plane ticket and an extra +500 for a hotel. Japan is somewhere I've always wanted to go and learn more about.

I've been considering military on the off chance i can go there
>>
File: WarPoster03.jpg (357KB, 623x910px) Image search: [Google]
WarPoster03.jpg
357KB, 623x910px
>>1296921

Son, you need a sugar daddy
>>
>>1296920
Haneda
>>
>>1296926
I like getting stuff on my own to be honest.

And not having to perform sexual favors on an older Jap man. Maybe if i can get a sugar mommy lmao i wouldnt mind that
>>
>>1296766
Urologist if you're male. Gynecologist is you're female. Look into incubation dates for what you want to get tested for and it's not the cheapest thing to get checked for. I've heard you can expect to spend 20k yen for everything, but you have to check that out for yourself. And please use protection.
>>
>>1296843
I think that's illegal.
>>
No one has responded to me, so I'll try again. Is it difficult to find an internet cafe to sleep in in Shinjuku on a Saturday / Sunday night? I want to do a day trip to Matsumoto, can I find a bus from Shinjuku that morning or should I book in advance? How long would i be looking at a round trip travel time from Shinjuku to hikone shrine? Thank you
>>
>>1296941
There is a cheap but very good capsule hotel near shinjuku station. Just 2min walk.
>>
In Shibuya again tonight. Anybody want to go to the Hub?
>>
>>1295630
All of Shikoku if you like mountains as well. Lot's of trails in the "alps" as well, check out Kamikochi national park, and the cities matsumoto and Takayama as well.
Lastly the whole "peninsula" south east of Osaka is great, tons of shrines and old shrine paths in the forests
>>
>>1295702
>>1295712
+1 for tabelog, it's what japanese people use.

here's a good list as well:

Mikawa Zezankyo (tempura)
3-4-7 Nihonbashi, Kayabacho, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-36649843
DEN (innovativ Kaiseki)
2-2-32 Jimbocho, Kanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-3222 3978
Kikunoi (Kaiseki à la Kyoto)
6-13-8 Akasaka, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-3568 6055
Sushi Kyubey
8-7-6 Ginza, Chuo, Tokyo.
Tel +81 3-3571-6523
Souten yakitori
3-39-13 Minami-Otsuka, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-5944-8105
Ippudo Ramen
1-3-13, Hiro, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-5420-2225
Ishikawa (Kaiseki light)
Takamuro Building, 5-37 Kagurazaka, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-5225 0173
Quintessence (Fransk/japansk fusion)
5-4-7 Shirokanedai, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-5791 3715
Tsukiji Fish Market (Tidig frukostsushi på t ex Daiwa-Zushi)
5-2 Tsukiji, Chuo-ku, Tokyo
Ginza Kojyu (Kaiseki)
5-4-8 Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-6215 9544
Hashiguchi (sushi)
Kioicho Tower Building 2F, Kojimachi 5-7, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-5275 5877
Sushi Bar Yasuda
4 chome 2-6 Minamiaoyama Bldg 426, B1, Minato-ku, Tokyo
Tel +81 3-64470232
Ramen, Ippudo Ramen Ebisu
Hiroo 1-3-13
Sushi Bar Yasuda
Chome-2-6 Minamiaoyama, Minato, Tokyo
Tel: 03-6447-0232.
EN Izakaya
Higashi-Shimbashi 1-5-2, Shiodome City Center 42F.
Tel 5537-2096
>>
>>1296949
I want to stay at an internet cafe because this will be my fifth time in Tokyo and I want to try something new. Also get a rush traveling as thrifty as possible and capsule hotels are more expensive than hostels. Just in better locations with shittier service
>>
How do I get the InitialD experience?
I'm 23 and can drive well
>>
>>1296941
can't give you any advise from experience but in case you didn't know, manga cafés are called mangakissa ( 漫画喫茶) so if you google that and shinjuku (漫画喫茶 新宿) you might find something. The staff usually speaks some english even if the website is in japanese
>>
>>1296961
Thanks for the response, I can read a little Japanese so I shouldn't have any big problems, I'm familiar with mangakissa, I'm mainly asking if it's going to be really busy and I'll be able to book space on a Saturday night in Shinjuku, if not I'll just get a hostel
>>
>>1296001
Never fly mainland Chinese airlines
>>
Why are UFO machines acceptable in this day and age is beyond me. I went in to Tokyo as a happy tourist looking to play video games in an arcade. Floor one, saw some crane games and thought, why not, they're probably not rigged like the ones in the USA - surely these have decent grip strength at least. Suddenly I find my wallet 4000 yen lighter than when I started and still no prize. Surely bad luck, but ill just move on. Nope, floor 2 and more UFO machines. Well shit, I already exchanged 1000 more for coins, why not. Literally wasn't even able to move the boxes on this floor from their starting position, so I double down and exchange another 2000 yen. At some point I managed to move the box into a position in which it was no longer movable. Upon closer inspection it turns out the bars that hold these piece of shit merchandises up for the claw to grab are COATED WITH RUBBER. What the fuck Japan? Here's the kicker - around this time I realized I was being followed by the floor managers or some shit after I left the machines. THEY FUCKING RESET THE MACHINES AFTER YOU SPEND YOUR YEN AT THEM. Out of spite I exchanged another 5000 yen and promptly began to spend at every machine so that they would have to reset the shit machines every time. Fuck. Left that shitty Sega arcade almost 10k yen lighter with nothing but regret and the contempt of the people working there.
>>
Getting quite excited about going to Japan for the first time. I'll be in Shibuya for about 2 months starting towards the end of October.

Looking for a cheap private room (preferably in walking distance of Shibuya station) and it looks like it'll cost about 80-95k yen. Anyone been to Sakura House - Maruyamacho before? https://www.sakura-house.com/en/B00061/1/room

Oakhouse looks like a better option but they said I'm asking too early and need to check for vacancies about a month in advance. How early do most people book in advance?

With this sort of budget, do I have any other options?
>>
>>1296968
This manages to tread the fine line between comedy and tragedy perfectly
>>
>>1296968

Get gud. I won a figure for under 2000yen. They are bullshit though.

If you're desperate for the figure you can always go to akiba and find the one you want for cheaper than you're likely to spend trying to win it.
>>
>>1296974
why does it have to be Shibuya specifically? You can find cheaper places in other parts of the city
>>
>>1296968
get fucked idiot
>>
>>1296986
I'll be working there so staying in walking distance is very tempting.

I may consider looking elsewhere too though. Does it cost about 200yen for a return ticket? So weekday commutes will add about 4000yen/month.
>>
>>1296990
load up a PASMO with a lot monthly and you wont have to worry as much. just dont use it for vending machines
>>
>>1296968
>4000 yen lighter

There is a shop on akihabara that sells all the crane ufo items for like less than that Seriously, it's like right on akihabra's main street. You walk in and the shop is 2 isles with nothing but pictures of products and they are just inventory of the UFO games
>>
>>1296990
I'm a sucker for a short commute but I agree with >>1296992

You'll almost definitely be able to recoup that loss by staying somewhere cheaper and probably come out ahead overall. Not to mention might come out cheaper in terms of food, and things to do.
>>
File: 20170318_183140_HDR.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170318_183140_HDR.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>1296968
Only Miku costed me more than 2k yen, rest was around 1k - all won in Taito stations. This shit is addictive
>>
>>1297003
Pretty much the only time I would play these games is to get rid of the massive amounts of coins I had
>>
>>1297006
I liked the catchers, but i had most fun with coin pushers - and they are way cheaper for more fun - depending on station you can get even 500 coins for 1k yen - enough for like 2-4 hours of playing depending on your luck
>>
File: IMG_1800.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1800.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
Question for you,
I still take care of my former stepdaughter and she stays with me and my son half of the week.
I want to take the kids to Japan for two weeks next year.
Even if her mom and father say it's okay to take her, will I need some sort of document to take with me since I legally have no connection with her anymore?
>>
>>1297037
If its like any other countries ive been to and you are visiting from the USA, you should definitely get some form of documentation stating clearly where and when shes going and for how long and with who from both guardians to be safe. Check with your nearby consulate or embassy though.
>>
I'm checking the weather forecast and on my first day in Tokyo it will be raining a lot.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of spending the day in Akihabara.
>>
>>1297043
Umbrella's are like 300 yen, just be mindful on how to use the umbrella condoms before entering stores
>>
File: wq.jpg (83KB, 550x367px) Image search: [Google]
wq.jpg
83KB, 550x367px
>>1296959
Go to Sega joypolis and play in the Initial D arcade that has real cars.
>>
File: _contents_mainae86.jpg (71KB, 850x410px) Image search: [Google]
_contents_mainae86.jpg
71KB, 850x410px
>>1296959
http://fun2drive-japan.com/
>>
>>1297044
Ok, cool.
>>
>>1296450
Because Sony's E-mount cameras are all really, really good. They're basically point and shoots on that debug menu god mode shit.
>>
new to this board, apologies:

I want to travel before I turn 21. My choices were Austria or Japan and I think I would rather go to Japan first. I have scholarship money and saved work money I can use, but I'd prefer to not blow it all. I am currently taking community college classes, so it'd either have to be late winter or sometime in spring next year. I would love to go when the cherry blossoms are there but I've heard it's kind of a tourist trap around that time. I am thinking of keeping the budget maybe around 3 - 4k at max if possible. What do you guys think? How long could I stay on that? How much Japanese do I need to know, and what areas do you think are the best? I don't really have any areas in specific that are must-see, but it would be cool to see mt. fuji, visit Tashirojima (that island full of cats), maybe go to some of the places from Initial D like Mt. Haruna.

sorry again for all the questions. i appreciate any responses or helpful links to get started. I plan on buying my ticket as soon as I get an email about cheaper tickets from this mailing list im subscribed to (scotts cheap flights)
>>
>>1297081
> I would love to go when the cherry blossoms are there but I've heard it's kind of a tourist trap around that time.

it is if you are going through a travel agency and don't want to spend the 15-30 minutes once in a while researching a few places on trip advisor cheapotokyo and this thread. Japan is pretty cheap year round and probably the biggest sole expense will be the flight, followed by hostel(for length of stay), then JR pass which you will want.

>am thinking of keeping the budget maybe around 3 - 4k at max if possible. What do you guys think?

As spending money of total money for the trip? if spending money completely doable for anywhere for 2-3 weeks, assuming you don't buy everything you lay eyes on. If for Flight + jr pass + hostel, you're going to be left with probably 1.5-2grand left over assuming you do about 2 weeks, which is more than enough to have fun. JR pass is about 250 bucks but can give you a week of unlimited train/bus use on JR routes. If you only want 3 or 4 places, just google japan bus lines and check the costs, add them up and see what is more worth it

>How much Japanese do I need to know, and what areas do you think are the best

None, I went knowing just shit from anime and practiced a few mannerisms; generally most people will speak enough english to get by. Probably just want to learn the symbols for meats if you travel in the countryside to see the colors. In major cities most menus have pictures, in the country not so much.

Nagano, Takayama, and Fujisawa have some great places for scenery and history; Kyoto and Osaka can be done together with a JR pass since they are fairly close bouncing back and forth between them is easy. Tokyo is great but just map out stuff first, Tokyo is very big and easy to get distracted.

>I plan on buying my ticket as soon as I get an email about cheaper tickets
Check on Kayak.com as well, also taking a bus to a big airport(no idea where you are) can save you some dosh, it did for me.
>>
>>1297081
i recommend learning at least the alphabets which take like a week each (2 alphabet-type things) so you can sound things out if youre lost. you dont really need it though. most things are romanized or in english in major locations.
>>
>>1297046
this answer is better than anything I could've hoped for
>>
Considering going to Japan for two weeks with my partner in about a year. We are going to try saving up to £5000 for 2 weeks, alongside a credit card as an emergency. Not too concerned about expenses or speaking the language, I can understand basics and have been told I have clear pronunciations by a Jap friend.
Here's the real question:
How much could we realistically see/experience in 2 weeks? Considering night buses and bullet trains because we want to see a good variety, more interested in the country than the city, morning markets and stuff like that. Would it be a good idea to have different hotels lined up in specific locations as a guideline for our travels? We know of a few locations we want to visit, but if you were to offer a set of locations with a hotel to stay at for a few days as a sort of hub, what would you suggest?
>>
>>1297151
I'm planning to go for two weeks next May with my buddy and this is our rough plan so far (with a 14 day rail pass). Comments welcome

First 8 days in Tokyo including day trips to hakone, and nikko.
9th day early head west to gero, rent a car, drive around mt. ontake, hike, check out the nearby dam, then take a scenic drive north to kanazawa, drop off the car there, sleep.
10th day early train to kyoto spend 10th and 11th day there.
11th day evening train to osaka. Spend up till 14th day there including a night stay at koyasan.
14th back to tokyo

All stays will be at the cheapest hostel we can find excluding koyasan. We plan on booking our tokyo stay in advance but playing the rest by ear
>>
>>1297159

Don't do a daytrip to Hakone. I'd recommend staying there for a night and soak in the hotsprings (the Hakone free pass lasts two days as well). Sounds good to me otherwise.
>>
What's the best place in Akihabara to find an old Sony Walkman? I promised my friend I'll have a look for him since they're way overpriced here in Europe.
>>
>>1297161
Got it, thanks anon
>>
>>1297159
It doesn't seem like you need a 14 day rail pass for that schedule. You should check out hyperdia and see how much you're actually going to spend on train tickets. You might be able to save a few bucks.
>>
>>1297166
Thanks, I'll do that. So far I've assumed I'll get the rail pass since I don't have my Tokyo itinerary locked down to check prices but it's something I'll be doing eventually. I'd love to put more money into food
>>
>>1297161
What if I'm only interested in the hakone shrine?
>>
What three preferred locations should I list on my JET application? Does it even affect where they put you?
>>
I'm going to Osaka next year with a friend of mine.

What are some of the essential things I should do in / around that area? I will be there for two weeks and a half weeks.

Also, are there any free resources that I can use to try and teach myself a bit of Japanese before the trip so I'm not completely helpless?
>>
Anyone have recommendations to try kobe or high quality wagyu beef in Asakusa or Shinjuku?
>>
Anyone knows a good onsen that accepts tattos? I'm going with a friend who has one in her back but I read that most onsen don't accept people with tattos because of the Yakuza.
>>
>>1297219
You need to cover the tattoos.
>>
>>1297191
If you don't list Tokyo or Osaka you'll probably get where you picked if you want to be in a city. If you list those they'll assign on a first seen first serve basis and assign the rest to the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>1297211
Why those places specifically instead of the entirety of Tokyo
>>
>>1297203
Look up djt on /int/
>>
Can anyone recommend some good places to bushwalk for a day in Hokkaido? Preferably relatively close to Sapporo. I'm going in February so I'm guessing a lot of it will be snowed in though, any recommendations?
>>
>>1297250
I basically want to be anywhere in Chiba, though Yokohama would be fine too. Specifically I'm interested in Choshi, Katori, or Sawara in Chiba. Something tells me listing three places in Chiba will limit my likelihood of being there, though.
>>
>>1297088
Ok yeah I don't think I'll need a travel agency, I want to have full freedom to wander around and do things as I please.
>As spending money of total money for the trip?
Yes. When I get back, I would prefer to have spent under 4000. I won't be buying a ton of stuff, probably just some clothes and maybe a figure or two. the JR pass sounds expensive but if I want to cover a good amount of ground it sounds worth it, so ill check that out.
As for the japanese knowing, that's good to hear. I know a bit from anime as well and could probably pick up on signs and mannerisms. I do want to travel the countryside some, so that would be something to look into. Thanks for the recs on places to check out, I was thinking on making some kind of track or map to follow for the trip. I don't want to spend a ton of time in Tokyo, i'm not a huge fan of giant cities as I am beautiful scenery. I live near LA so if i wanted to be immersed in expensive tourist city life i'd just go there. However I would like to visit Tokyo a little bit. I'll check out Kayak too.

Thanks for the tips man. I'll definitely look into those things you mentioned and maybe use google maps to set some routes and map ideas. I wish there was a travel planner that worked like google maps did, that'd be genius.
>>
File: IMG_20170823_212917.jpg (129KB, 1147x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170823_212917.jpg
129KB, 1147x900px
awfully specific,but does anyone know where to get splatoon merch in osaka ie. doujinshi,official merch,amiibos.Ive been going to the usual chains of doujin stores with no luck.
>>
File: company06[1].jpg (118KB, 440x320px) Image search: [Google]
company06[1].jpg
118KB, 440x320px
>>1297305
Well you can get the amiibos at any Geo store.
>>
Is it allowed to haggle in the stores that sell figures in those display boxes in akiba and nakano broadway? Which is the cheaper place to buy goods?
>>
>>1297309
Jesus christ dude...
>>
>>1297309
no they will deport you
>>
I'm just shy of a week into my one semester stay in Sagamihara, Kanagawa. Going to school in Machida, Tokyo. Class doesn't start until a couple weeks from now, so even with all the orientation stuff and testing, I've gotten a decent amount of time to explore the area. Mostly been hanging out with other exchange students, but eh.

I thought at first that it kind of sucked that I was like an hour plus away from central Tokyo, but actually even Machida has a ton of cool shops and restaurants, and apparently there are great places for hiking near my dorm. DESU, the only thing I miss is the variety of beer I had at home (Kansas, USA). It's all kind of...generic beer flavor here. Winter break is about two weeks, and I'm staying an additional week at the start of February after my program ends. Anyone have any places I should travel during either period? I've been here before, but just for a week with my high school Japanese class. We went to a billion temples and shrines, Nara Kouen, the aquarium in Osaka, Kyoto, etc. etc.
>>
>>1297255
Seconding. i'm also coming in Feb.
>>
>>1297309
You can't haggle the same as you could in other parts of Asia. But I have asked for some better deals and received them throughout Japan. Maybe ask the question "can you do a better deal for me?" rather than just giving a lower offer off the bat.

I can't say for figures, but I have gotten better deals (on top of tax free) on cameras and electronics like retro consoles in Akiba just by asking.
>>
Yo all. Planning to go for the working visa to Japan, to work there and study the language / see the country in my free time.

I am planning to go when I am 28, which is in 2019. What are the chances that I could get it if I speak mid level japanese by then? Also, does anybody have knowledge what kind of jobs I could go for there? Thanks in advance.
>>
Must see and do things in akiba for huge weebs? Maid cafes worth it? If so, any places which don't require you to mortgage your home to sit down for half an hour?
>>
>>1297348
Maid cafes are only worth the first time then it becomes repetitive. Go to arcades/stores.
>>
>>1297339
Yeah it's possible just comes down to how much you study and stay diligent to that track. Not sure how fast a learner you are.

>>1297348
> If so, any places which don't require you to mortgage your home to sit down for half an hour?

Just go to carls jr, get a small coffee for 270 yen and sit.
>>
>>1297348
*Maid cafes are a one time thing. Prepare to pay 4000 to 5000 yen for some omelette rice and ice cream. You should still go once. Also pro-tip don't take photos of the maids outside.
*If you are into manga or light novels then many weeb shops have some already baked in like Kotobukiya and Mandarake, but there's more specific items in shops like Book-off, Melonbooks or Tora no Ana. Just make sure you you're in the right Tora no Ana, because one of them is for women mostly. (yaoi)
*For sitting down, you can sit for free on one of the ... polebenches they have lining the streets of akiba. That is, if any are empty. They're rather uncomfortable if you have a bony ass. Otherwise, I didn't see many choices for places to sit. There are 4 sega arcades and a couple of other ones like GAME scattered throughout - if you go to one at less peak hours you can use a something like a racing game booth to sit.
*If you have more specific questions post them, because realistically, you most certainly will find stores to go into and enjoy. Just don't go full retard and not actually go into anything and just stay outside in the strip.
>>
>>1297421
And obviously, it goes without saying but pay and play the game if you're going to sit at one of the arcade games
>>
So I'm going to be in Tokyo for 6 days in the first week of october. Already roughly planned the tourist stuff like tsukiji, shrines, and some food places i would be interested in. Just some leftover questions.

My airbnb is around Asakusa but I would like to experience shibuya nightlife. How much of a pain in the ass would it be to get back to my place if I decide to stay past the last train?

Any specific places you guys would recommend for buying modeling chisels and tools like bmc/sujibori.

Good places to buy a haori or yukata? I don't mind if it's second hand.

Is there a decent soba shop that doesnt cost over 2000 yen? Tried going through the michelin guide and every place is like 3000 yen plus.

Recommended souvenirs that you got or regret not getting?
>>
>>1297442
I have the same question about the trains, difficult to do nightlife.
>>
>>1297442

It's generally safe to walk home late at night, the question is how much walking is okay for you?
>>
>>1297422

Gonna add to that, if you like Initial D, the Initial D game booths allow you to set up a racer profile and print an ID Card with your name on it for you. Just know how to spell your name in Katakana. It's a nice souvenir.
>>
>>1297450
Its around an hour and half to 2 hours from shibuya to my airbnb. So a bit too much for me especially since I have no fucking clue about directions even with Google maps.
>>
>>1297442
>How much of a pain in the ass would it be to get back to my place if I decide to stay past the last train?

Walk or cab, pretty much your only option. Make sure you just show the dude google maps getting back with a cab though.

>Good places to buy a haori or yukata?

Just rent one for like 1000-1500 yen unless you are super serious on taking it back home. There is one across from the dennys/711, it's the only dennys in that area easy to find on google.

>Is there a decent soba shop that doesnt cost over 2000 yen?

Pretty much everywhere is under 2000 yen, especially near the senso-ji shrine

>Recommended souvenirs that you got or regret not getting?

A few, really just plan on bringing home an extra backpack you can get some real good ones in akihabara for 4500 that are hard shelled. Not getting hard shell was my mistake
>>
>>1297457

I've never done it myself, but you can stay overnight in internet cafes. They usually have reclining chairs or even flatbeds. It might be a good option for you.
>>
>>1297348
In my opinion maid cafes are only worth it if you have at least 50 bucks to waste and absolutely wanna experience. You're basically paying for the perfomance, which I honestly find a bit cringy, it may be cute in anime but its pretty akward in real life, at least in my experience. I left the place thinking that I could had used that money on something else.
I would recommend saving that money for the arcades or manga/figures to be honest.
>>
>>1297460
Yea i really want either a yukata or haori for lounge/sleep wear. Used to live beside a nice old japanese lady when i was young and she got me one for my birthday. Was super comfy and I wore it all the time at home.
>>
>>1296893

>kom
>m

Gas yourself.
>>
File: IMG_20170905_130325-EFFECTS.jpg (2MB, 3927x1797px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170905_130325-EFFECTS.jpg
2MB, 3927x1797px
>>1297518
Okotteru?
>>
>>1297453
Is it free? Also, navigating the menus is a bitch if you can't read shit
>>
Okay, in parks I see a water fountain. On one side the water shoots straight up for drinking, on the other side there is a spicket low near the ground over a drainage grate. What is the spicket used for?
>>
>>1295579

Do they speak even the most basic English at all?

Store clerk, post office clerk, etc?

How many percentage of them do?
>>
>>1297553
Most everyone in japan speaks a basic level of english. Some might not speak english to you if they just want you to go away though.
>>
>>1297554
Does basic level mean maybe a couple words in a thick accent?
>>
>>1297518

Thanks for correcting me virgin-san!
>>
>>1297560
the accent really isn't that bad unless you go deep into the countryside . You can understand most japanese all over the country, chinese are far worse in accents
>>
File: IMG_20170906_122233.jpg (7MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170906_122233.jpg
7MB, 3036x4048px
>>1297550
Image for reference
>>
>>1297571
It's only not bad if you're used to it.
>>
>>1297504
I had fun at the one I went to but I think that's because I was with someone else, the people that were there on their own were depressing to even look at. Pretty sure we were the only people there having any fun apart from one table of nips.
>>
>>1297572
Looks like it's just for attaching a hose or filling up a container or something.
>>
>>1297460
>Walking from Shibuya to Shinjuku after New Years Eve.

Yeah no.
>>
>>1297573
Chinese people's English (native mainland China) definitely ends up being more unintelligible if they don't speak English often.
Japanese people have to take shortcuts in english due to lack of a robust sound pool to choose from, but it generally works well. Of course it may sound silly to someone not expecting to hear the sound substitutions.

Of course, that's just like, my opinion.
>>
>>1297554

Yeah bullshit. They might know a handful of words, but that hardly constitutes a "basic level of English".
>>
>>1297590
why not?
>>
>>1297595
I'm not sure why you're bringing Chinese people into this. Yes they're hard to understand, someone speaking English coming from a tonal language is always going to be hard to understand. But that doesn't have anything directly to do with Japanese people.
>>
>>1297609
They're neighbors and a quick comparison. I could have gone with Vietnamese for all it mattered.
>>
>>1297612
completely different language families. korean english speakers would be a better comparison to japan. chona and vietnam would be good comparisons
>>
>>1297572
It's for doggos and doggo bowls, anon. A lot of parks have them in Australia too.
>>
>>1297615
>>1297575
For reference, I asked my host mother, she said it's for washing your hands.
>>
Traveling to Japan for a week. Have some friends to catch up with and some beers to share by most of the time I would be single and solo traveling. Looking for recommendations! Osaka three days and the rest in Tokyo.

I like photography by not particularly wildlife or nature. Rather products or street views. I'm shit at it but enjoy it. Any area I should visit in particular?

I love games and I found some game bars I plan to visit in Osaka. Are there any in Tokyo? Last time I went to some but the atmosphere was kind of cold and it either seemed like a tourist spectacle or people weren't showing up to talk or meet others.

I dislike people but I enjoy meeting new friends one to one. How's anons luck on tinder or other shit ? Not particularly looking for sex desu.
>>
where can i buy an anime themed zippo lighter in tokyo? Will it be cheaper than the 200 dollar ebay prices?

Where can I also buy stickers in tokyo?
>>
>>1297624
Huh. I used them to wash my feet
>>
>>1297602
How long is it? I assumed that is a fuckton
>>
>>1297699
Looks to be about 45 minutes, not that long of a walk
>>
File: ht.jpg (131KB, 965x664px) Image search: [Google]
ht.jpg
131KB, 965x664px
What's the point of traveling to Japan if you'll never go there in the 80's.
We need time travel tourism asap
>>
traveling in march, looking at hostels, what are the recommended areas to stay in?

Strictly for convenience of getting around, I've heard Ueno is a safe bet but can be light on stuff to do. How's Shinjuku? Should I avoid stayinh too close to the center of the city? I'll be using a JR pass
>>
File: 0a72019972.jpg (161KB, 1280x901px) Image search: [Google]
0a72019972.jpg
161KB, 1280x901px
>>1297791
Just buy an old car and listen to YMO. Problem solved.
>>
>>1297792
The "bad parts of japan" are almost always saver than anywhere in the USA.

Ueno is fine, taito is quite, Ginza is expensive and safe, Roppangi is okayish, Asuaka is fine. If you're using a JR pass I assume you aren't staying in tokyo because it is far cheaper to just get a day pass when inside the tokyo area than what a JR pass costs
>>
>>1297792
I'm going to stay at a hostel in Shinjuku in December/January 300$ 11 days. Not bad.
>>
>>1297792
ueno is safe, just be near transportation to get you to the places there are things to do.
>>
>>1297818
>>1297832
oh, sorry if I worded that strangely, I'm 6'4"/250lbs, not really worried about anyone messing with me in Japan of all places, I was just wondering where you anons preferred to stay as far as balancing distance from train stations/transportation vs distance from entertainment
>>
File: IMG_20170906_100455.jpg (6MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170906_100455.jpg
6MB, 4048x3036px
>>1297684
Are your feet dirty? Do you take your shoes off in the park?
>>
>>1297854
Shibuya/Shinjuku
>>
>>1297854
the train system is stupidly efficient but keep in mind that they shut down at midnight, be aware if you are staying out late
>>
>>1297880
Why must they stop at midnight, they should already have robots that can keep the train running for 24 hours
>>
>>1297884
They do maintenance, track inspections and repairs, cleaning, and other things. It's so that the trains run on time, as much as possible. Not to mention a good deal of the shops close down around 9-10 anyways, only bars and clubs stay open past midnight with the exception of some 24/7 places. Just plan out things if you want to go hard, taxi's aren't that bad when the streets are basically clear at midnight and no traffic to run up the fair
>>
File: 1504729179573.png (362KB, 900x1593px) Image search: [Google]
1504729179573.png
362KB, 900x1593px
>>1296071
Woah, totally redpilled dude

praise kek xD
>>
>>1297886
Taxis are a rip off
>>
File: IMG_20170904_134809-PANO.jpg (4MB, 2547x5216px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170904_134809-PANO.jpg
4MB, 2547x5216px
>>1297886
Taxi are for old, backwards countries who allow established companies to successfully lobby against emerging markets.
>>
>>1297668
B-Side label in Shibuya is the only specifically sticker store I know of
>>
>>1297884
Every single good subway in the world closes at night for a few hours.

Whats asinine is that they don't have bus service that replaces the trains
>>
>>1297935
every other city with night busses is an order of magnitude smaller than tokyo

to keep nght buses running would suck up tax money. infrastructure is never profitable

if you want to stay out pay for a taxi or shut the fuck up. tax money is not paying for you to get drunk
>>
>>1297900
then walk, japan taxis are nothing like the rest of the world
>>1297913
Uber exists in tokyo so use it, taxi's are just everywhere and usually pretty damn clean
>>
>>1297939
>if you want to stay out pay for a taxi or shut the fuck up. tax money is not paying for you to get drunk

Pretty much this, if you're going to party all night crash in an internet cafe for 1000-1200 yen for 6-12 hours, pay 1500 yen for a taxi, walk, or party near your place of stay. If you can't at least plan for what comes after. The whole country of japan can manage around it, you can to, don't be such a fucking prick about something you can easily control and plan for.
>>
>>1297944
People do work at night though.
>>
>>1297668
tokyu hands and daiso sells a ton of stickers
>>
File: IMG_20170907_140226_1.jpg (3MB, 3036x3102px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170907_140226_1.jpg
3MB, 3036x3102px
>>1297941
>Uber exists in tokyo
But I don't.
>>
Anyone down for drinks/karaoke/whatever tonight?

Shibuya,shinjuku, roppongi either is fine with me
>>
>>1297992
I just arrived at my hotel in shinjuku I might be down
>>
>>1297998
Sounds good m8, currently weebing out in akiba, 20:30 sound like a good time to meet for ya?
>>
>>1297919
This place is awesome. They have a few more shops around Japan too.
>>
>>1297999
Yeah sure. My phone is dying tho and my converter isnt working. Do you know a place where I can charge my phone using only the usb cord?
>>
>>1298001
You're at a hotel brah, people at the reception will probably bend over backwards to help you charge your phone. I'll ask again at 20:00, cause we can't meet up with your phone ded
>>
>>1298002
Good idea lol I'll go ask.
>>
>>1298003
You got your shit figured out boi?
>>
>>1298002
I got a charger at bic and am now charging the phone
>>
>>1298027
>>1298028
>>
>>1298028
Wanna meet up at 20:45 at the tokyo metropolitan government building? You can take an elevator up to an observation deck on the 45th floor for free. I'll wait in front of said elevator. Find the gaijin with the paper bag covered by plastic.
>>
>>1298030
Alright sounds good. I'll be wearing a dark green t-shirt and a backpack in case you spot me first
>>
>>1298033
I'm on my way
>>
>>1297950
Yes and most shifts go till 5 am or they have a taxi service/shuttle service.

>>1297986
Tough shit the world doesn't revolve around you
>>
File: Kujuku-Islands-Sasebo[1].jpg (991KB, 2956x1662px) Image search: [Google]
Kujuku-Islands-Sasebo[1].jpg
991KB, 2956x1662px
What itinerary would you recommend for a 15 days trip, to someone who already did the usual Tokyo-Kyoto-Hiroshima(Miyajima).

I'll do Tokyo and Kyoto again, obviously.

I'm not *that* interested in urban cities, Tokyo once again will be enough (with maybe a daytrip to Osaka from Kyoto).

What I'd like is a third city where I could stay a few days, and do some daytrips from there, with good sightseeing spots and such. What I'd like to see is more of Japan as an Island.

Last time, I felt like I was too much "inland", and only got to see the sea for the short time I was at Miyajima (which I absolutely loved). So yeah, I'd like something like that.
>>
File: 1503081681681.jpg (145KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1503081681681.jpg
145KB, 1024x1024px
>>1298033
>>1298037
I wanna know how this ended.
>>
How should I prepare for Comiket
>>
File: 1503200969255.jpg (155KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1503200969255.jpg
155KB, 1920x1080px
>>1298161
which one are you going to anon,winter or summer?
>>
>>1298162
Winter
>>
File: 1501428821224.jpg (138KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501428821224.jpg
138KB, 500x500px
>>1298163
entry is free but getting the catalog beforehand is reccomended.you can have it delivered to your house if youre overseas or pick it up at the convention.If you already havent ,try to book a hotel/airbnb near the convention hall as the first train to the place is tight and youll have the advantage of being there earlier than the train crowd.

https://webcatalog.circle.ms/ is the online catalog,i recommend you make an account and sift through to find booths you plan to visit.the maps are available there.it is impossible to go to every booth and things sell out quickly so visit in accord to importance/probability to sell out

it gets really cold during that time,so i would carry hotpacks incase things get too cold.some people have foldable chairs to bring to the cons as queuing time is rather long.

it is good to have small change as some queues get really long and youll hold them up if you say give a 10 000¥ note

im not sure what else to cover but AMA and i or another anon will try to respond,i hope you enjoy your trip
>>
File: Pachinko-inside.jpg (225KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
Pachinko-inside.jpg
225KB, 640x426px
How do I get gud at Pachinko? I just 10 bucks
>>
>>1298094
I understand that. In backwards countries it revolves around appeasing established companies even if it means preventing the population from enjoying new technologies and more effective organizations.
>>
>>1298188
Japan doesn't seem to have that problem because:
1. people are capable of walking
2. people are able to plan their nights
3. make use of cabs

Most places start closing down much earlier than in the west anyways. Not sure why this is such a big issue for someone who is a tourist. If a taxi ride here and there breaks the budget of your trip, you should really reconsider your trip planning.
>>
File: giphy (10).gif (266KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (10).gif
266KB, 500x281px
>>1298168
Thanks anon
>>
>>1298168
Also would tent camping work or would police shut that shit down quick
>>
>>1298189
>Japan doesn't seem to have that problem because:
What is this even suppose to mean? Of course Japan has the exact problem I described?
>>
>>1298205

Ignore him, you'll notice hes been on his high horse about this all thread.

Angry, angry man.
>>
Taking my parents to Japan in April. We land at Narita at 9 at night, and want to get on the first train in the morning to Osaka.

Ideally I wanted to maybe just get a flight to Hiroshima, but that seems more expensive than it'd be worth.

Anyway, what's the best option for short term lodging the night of landing? I don't want to get an airbnb just for one night, but they seem hesitant to try a capsule hotel. Any ideas?
>>
>>1298230
You can book one night at a hotel near the airport.
>>
>>1298230
Look for a different flight or different day. Stretching your travel out over another day sucks. You want to land in Tokyo, transfer to a domestic flight and get to your destination. Not land one day, check into hotel, pack up next day and travel domestically that day.
>>
>>1298230
Look in to ANA and JAL's "Experience Japan" fares. $99 USD per person, for each one way domestic flight in Japan. Though you're landing late enough that there's no same day flight you could make.
>>
>>1298131
We met up, checked out the view from the observatory, went to grab a bite at some standing sushi place and afterwards went to karaoke and drunkenly "sang" some songs. All in all solid night out.
>>
>>1298249
I'm starting to wonder if I don't want to just bookend our stay in Tokyo, considering we arrive and depart from there. Maybe a day or two at the start, a day or two at the end, so there's no rush to get to another region? I'm still in the planning phases.

On a separate note, my father is dead set on seeing some Kobe cows. I'm reading that this isn't really something that's allowed outside of business ventures, anyone have any experience with that? If not, I'd prefer to just cut out the day trip to Kobe we have planned, in favor of a day in Nara.
>>
>>1298250
Did you spout memes at each other?
>>
>>1298276
No
>>
New bread >>1298291
Thread posts: 355
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.