[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to help with water crisis in Cambodia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20160301_112857678.jpg (5MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160301_112857678.jpg
5MB, 4320x2432px
I've decided that I am packing up my belongings, going to some rural village in Cambodia with poor drinking water, and setting up a charitable water distillation plant, just a small one. But I need advice.

First, are people in Cambodia charitable? Could I survive by just asking for donations to keep my water purification plant running? The costs would be minimal, I only need enough to pay for my apartment rent and ammenities, the equiptment I can obtain with my own money.

Second, how much money should I bring incase I need to fully support myself for up to 6 months? Is $5,000 sufficient?
>>
>>1294878
Do you actually know what the fuck you're doing? Have you done this before?
>>
>>1294879
I have traveled all throughout Latin America and the US as a semi-professional treasure hunter, so I know a thing or two about primitive living.
In addition, I've been researching and testing different forms of water purification for the greater part of this year, wanting to be able to help.
The thing is, once I fly out there, I'd like to stay. I'm willing to take a month to find a suitable location, I'm just unsure about the lifestyle and culture of SE Asia, as I've never been outside of North or South America. I can only assume it's a slightly culturally different version of other 3rd world countries.
>>
>>1294879
>>1294882
I guess more than anything I just would like to know what constitutes a small donation in a country like Cambodia?
In the US, you might toss a few bucks or your pocket change into a jar passing by, but if a person if providing your community with clean drinking water at no cost, you'd be inclined to donate more.
Conversion rates aside, what should be expected, if anything, as a donation in Cambodia? There are many factors in play.
>>
>>1294882
So in other words no, you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>1294885
So in other words, you can't answer my question.
>>
cambodia on the ocean nigga, they got plenty of water haha
>>
>>1294888
Let me give you some better advice than what you're looking for.

Don't volunteer to do something you don't know how to do. There are pages of stories about well-meaning western people going overseas to volunteer and making an even bigger mess for the locals to clean up.

If you really want to help with the water crisis in Cambodia, find a group that has a plan in place and can teach you what you need to know. Don't just think you can head over there with some book knowledge and a bag of good intentions and cowboy your way through it.

If you really want to help people, put your ego aside and do it right.
>>
>>1294893
Not a bad idea, I will say. Although, my only issue with that is that 100% of my money and efforts wouldn't be going directly towards the issue as if I were doing it solo.

But, you make a fair point. I've always "cowboyed" my way through life, maybe it's time to change, even if I have been lucky in the past.
>>
>>1294883
Haven't been to SEA myself, but Cambodia is about as poor as they get.

You would be better off setting up a donation network in the US first. Engineers Without Borders does this kind of thing, but they are of course sponsored by big engineering firms and private donors who are themselves engineers. You may want to figure out how to tap into that group or a similar thing.

You could always start some stupid Gofundme. But that really isn't a good way to get a reliable cash flow.
>>
>>1294897
That is an incredible idea! If I could demonstrate what it is I'm attempting to work towards, I think this is a much more professional way to go about it.
I certainly have alot to consider. Thank you.
>>
>>1294878
Oh boy, here we go.
>semi-professional treasure hunter
>primitive living
I can't even say if you're trolling or not, there are so many fucktards out there.

First, 5 000 bucks is A LOT for Cambodia. Average household lives with less than 100 USD/month.
>apartments
>rural village
Mate, this is Cambodia, not Milwaukee.

Second, Cambodia is RIFE with small NGOs and humanitarian projects. Therefore, you need permits and such to actually help, they want to manage the aid coming in so that silly projects from retarded do-gooders don't disrupt the local economy.
You can't juste barge in some remote village to install some device.

Third, don't expect Cambodians to be charitable, they're poor and there are waaaay too many aid organizations working there for such a tiny country. They will certainly not care about some pasty foreigners trying to buy his soul by following some half-assed project he thinks is good.

>TL;DR
Just go to Cambodia and join a local bona fide NGO rather than starting your own retarded project.
>>
>>1294896
But 100% wouldn't go toward the issue if you did it yourself either.

The initial investment and maintenance of yourself is its own non-contributing expense. You need to be able to get there, use resources to live there, use resources to make up for inevitable mistakes you will encounter, and you will be highly vulnerable to destabilizing events because of the small scale of your operation/lack of on-site support. Nongovernment organizations that are already committing themselves to this kind of thing have already made the tough initial investments and have a much more efficient network of support.

For effective charities, Peter Singer is kind of nailing this down to a science. If you want to save lives, it can actually be roughly translated into a dollar amount

https://www.thelifeyoucansave.org/
>>
>>1294909
reading my post, I hope this doesn't look like a shill.

I actually haven't donate using Singer's organization before, but I've heard good things.
>>
>>1294908
It's a joke. I'm a history enthusiast that occasionally comes across old ruins while hiking off the beaten path. Sometimes I sell little trinkets I find, so I call myself a "pro treasure hunter". That's not my career.

I'll look into the NGOs, I just hope they aren't like others I've seen that COST me money to volunteer.

>>1294909
>>1294912
I'll read up on these, thank you. You don't seem like a shill, don't worry, haha!
>>
>>1294913
>sells historical objects he finds

Lol I'm not sure how sharp I line I could draw between you and a grave robber
>>
>>1294913
>I'll look into the NGOs, I just hope they aren't like others I've seen that COST me money to volunteer.
Many will, don't be surprised.

Thing is, Cambodia is one of the great "Eat Pray Love" destinations.
>it's safe
>it's tropical and warm
>children are cute
>culture is nice and there is some tourism to be done
>you can party like crazy
>local men/women are not that sexy, but there are a lot of horny tanned aid workers
>everything is cheap
>food's alright

Therefore, a LOT of westerners come here to do some fancy aid project with a lot of good intentions and little common sense. It turned into an industry in itself, to welcome clueless foreigners and have them participate in phony aid projects against a fair amount of money. The good ole voluntourism.

Cambodia killed all hope I had for the aid sector, it's very very disheartening how diseased the whole system got there.
>>
>>1294918
I appreciate the info, thank you very much.

>>1294917
Ha! I suppose I just never thought it was that bad to pick up a couple of old coins, tool fragments, etc... here and there. I get your point though.
>>
>>1294878
As long as you post results here I'm sure you'll be successful. Your rich background in archeological finds and adventure make you a prime candidate, after all, you've been drinking clean water from the ornate faucet in your parents house for what? like 14 years? You're certainly an expert by now. As for generosity look no further than a Cambodian. All that surplus income they make selling bugs by the side of the road makes them eager to give back to their community.
>>
>>1294922
LMAO, thank you for your insight. I'm not Indiana Jones, but I was an anthropology student who often got carried away with the whole "solo" thing.
>>
This is one of the best bait threads I've seen on /trv/ in a while.
>>
>>1294928
Just watch this fool actually do it and die
>>
>>1294929
If anon is 4 real, he'll probably get either blown up on a landmine, or caught by cops and forced to cough up his money in bribes.

All in all, it would be a good show.
>>
>>1294913
>Sometimes I sell little trinkets I find, so I call myself a "pro treasure hunter".
IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM!
>>
>>1294921
i don't really hold it against you

I would suggest researching what you find though and offering it to museums or proper collectors though.
>>
>>1294950
>>1294973
Museums seem like the right path to go down. I do love history, might as well preserve it, even if in a local or small museum.
>>
File: Landmine-victims-1-.jpg (87KB, 750x504px) Image search: [Google]
Landmine-victims-1-.jpg
87KB, 750x504px
>>1294878
Mind the landmines
>>
>>1294882
>I've been researching and testing different forms of water purification for the greater part of this year
are you certified?
>>
>>1295369
We established in the first few posts that he's completely unqualified.
>>
>>1294922
You have killed me. I almost cried from laughing reading that. Op has to be a troll, no way humanly possible he's that dumb. Try setting up a Somalia gofundme
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.